Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » David Davis still firm favourite to succeed TMay while Johnson

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited August 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » David Davis still firm favourite to succeed TMay while Johnson slips to 5th

Phillip Hammond 9%

Read the full story here

Comments

• CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    First! Like LEAVE.....
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    Second, like North Korea
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    The 'dark horse' in that line up is 'safe pair of hands' Green - Davis already has a big job and Hammond generally opens his mouth to change feet.....
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    Fifth like Boris!
    I think it will be a known unknown.

Current cabinet all tainted, sadly, by the bolleaux that has been the past three months. Very difficult to hold their heads up and say either "I agreed with that" or "I disagreed with that".

Will be a back-bencher. Not DD, who has shown himself better than expected (he did after all single-handedly create his current role for himself) but is nevertheless yesterday's man.
  • DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    If it goes to the membership, I'd think about adding Boris and JRM together but it won't and even if it did, they'd both be knocked out by then anyway. Rudd vs Hammond, imo, unless Davis has sharpened up his act after his complacent loss to Cameron.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,695
    edited August 2017

If it goes to the membership, I'd think about adding Boris and JRM together but it won't and even if it did, they'd both be knocked out by then anyway. Rudd vs Hammond, imo, unless Davis has sharpened up his act after his complacent loss to Cameron.

Con won't be able to get away with a second leadership contest that doesn't go to the membership...

And they'll be at least one Brexiteer in the final two, IMO.
  • MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    edited August 2017

The 'dark horse' in that line up is 'safe pair of hands' Green - Davis already has a big job and Hammond generally opens his mouth to change feet.....

Totally agree with that. Green''s capable and articulate and in his current position of First Minister is getting a lot more publicity. He and I were colleagues at BBC News in the late 1970s. He's very calming and takes everything in its stride.
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    GIN1138 said:

Con won't be able to get away with a second leadership contest that doesn't go to the membership...

The only way a Remainer wins is if the members don't get a say. Like you, I expect a Leaver in the last two.

The Conservatives, however, will continue to decline until such point as they find a candidate who can make irrelevant their referendum vote.
  • ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

GIN1138 said:

The only way a Remainer wins is if the members don't get a say. Like you, I expect a Leaver in the last two.

The Conservatives, however, will continue to decline until such point as they find a candidate who can make irrelevant their referendum vote.
    Their referendum vote is already irrelevant.
  • MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,921

Totally agree with that. Green''s capable and articulate and in his current position of First Minister is getting a lot more publicity. He and I were colleagues at BBC News in the late 1970s. He's very calming and takes everything in its stride.
    Me too. Green is eminently acceptable to almost all groups in the party.

Rudd is more of a Morgan than a Thatcher, and Hammond more of a Clarke than an Osborne. In short, they don't have the desire or the popularity within the PLP or the party at large.

I'm still yet to be convinced that Davis wants it. Bojo would be foolish to stand again and fail, esepfizlaly as he is just young enough to try again.
  • YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

He was very uncomfortable on the Marr show during the GE campaign , gulping for air when asked if the announcement would change on the so called dementia tax yes or no He answered no the following day it changed He is a follow the leader not inspirational.
    Green is a wet fish. He's not going to galvanise anyone and we have already tried the safe pair of hands approach and look where that got us.
  • foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    TOPPING said:

Current cabinet all tainted, sadly, by the bolleaux that has been the past three months. Very difficult to hold their heads up and say either "I agreed with that" or "I disagreed with that".

Will be a back-bencher. Not DD, who has shown himself better than expected (he did after all single-handedly create his current role for himself) but is nevertheless yesterday's man.

JRM is the only Leaver backbencher with a high enough profile to take on the cabinet. DD would not want to switch from his Captain Underpants success at DEXEU.

TOPPING said:

JRM is the only Leaver backbencher with a high enough profile to take on the cabinet. DD would not want to switch from his Captain Underpants success at DEXEU.
    JRM's tweet this morning was disappointing. It is not undemocratic to try, via democratic means, to change one policy or another, in this case Brexit.
  • MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Yorkcity said:

He was very uncomfortable on the Marr show during the GE campaign , gulping for air when asked if the announcement would change on the so called dementia tax yes or no He answered no the following day it changed He is a follow the leader not inspirational.
    He's a damn sight better than the incumbent and it was hugely difficult answering questions at that stage about the dementia tax before TMay had decided to U-turn. I thought Green handled that well.

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

JRM's tweet this morning was disappointing. It is not undemocratic to try, via democratic means, to change one policy or another, in this case Brexit.
    It is, however, bloody stupid to brand yourself as democrats when everyone else not called 'Democrats' is heeding the result.
  • Well, Mike, I've worked with all of them, in and out of parliament, and I'm not sure the party would vote for another 'safe pair of hands'; TM showed the limitations of that path.

What the members want is someone to stir the sinews (Boris without the bollocks), with experience and a back story (Davis without the age and past failures), with reliability (Green without the history of mediocrity) or a woman (Rudd without the charisma bypass, Ruth without the Holyrood commitments).

JRM is a non-runner, clever and entertaining as he is. His appeal remains far too niche to win an election.

In other words, there isn't a candidate on that list that the members would give a majority to, so we are stuck with TM for the foreseeable.

She should take a leaf out of Michael Howard's book and promote some of the fresh faces, so one or two will be ready for 2019; but, of course, she lacks the power to hire and fire at will.

Deadlock? We'll see. Nature abhors a vacuum, so Conference will be a crucible for new faces to shine and old faces to counter their all-too-well-known weaknesses.

Raab, Cleverly, McVey?

See you in Manchester.

• YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

Yorkcity said:

He's a damn sight better than the incumbent and it was hugely difficult answering questions at that stage about the dementia tax before TMay had decided to U-turn. I thought Green handled that well.

I would agree with all that apart from he handled it well, it is obvious he did not as his answer was fundamentally wrong.
    Mortimer said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

It is, however, bloody stupid to brand yourself as democrats when everyone else not called 'Democrats' is heeding the result.
    Yes that is true. Call it a work in progress although it is zingy-ish and easy to remember. Who after all holds the Tories to their Jacobean ideals?
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038

Well, Mike, I've worked with all of them, in and out of parliament, and I'm not sure the party would vote for another 'safe pair of hands'; TM showed the limitations of that path.

What the members want is someone to stir the sinews (Boris without the bollocks), with experience and a back story (Davis without the age and past failures), with reliability (Green without the history of mediocrity) or a woman (Rudd without the charisma bypass, Ruth without the Holyrood commitments).

JRM is a non-runner, clever and entertaining as he is. His appeal remains far too niche to win an election.

In other words, there isn't a candidate on that list that the members would give a majority to, so we are stuck with TM for the foreseeable.

She should take a leaf out of Michael Howard's book and promote some of the fresh faces, so one or two will be ready for 2019; but, of course, she lacks the power to hire and fire at will.

Deadlock? We'll see. Nature abhors a vacuum, so Conference will be a crucible for new faces to shine and old faces to counter their all-too-well-known weaknesses.

Raab, Cleverly, McVey?

See you in Manchester.

Go Rory!!!!!
  • EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956

Well, Mike, I've worked with all of them, in and out of parliament, and I'm not sure the party would vote for another 'safe pair of hands'; TM showed the limitations of that path.

Raab, Cleverly, McVey?

See you in Manchester.

He was a sincere and driven Leave campaigner who risked his career for what he believes in. He has experience leading three different government departments. He had a humble beginning, being adopted at the age of four months. I didn't say a name, but he popped into your head, didn't he?
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038
    TOPPING said:

Green is a wet fish. He's not going to galvanise anyone and we have already tried the safe pair of hands approach and look where that got us.

The Tories need someone who will really take the fight to Corbyn and argue about economics and public debt and priorities, and the threat to democracy from Milne and co etc etc.

Labour got away with blue (red?) murder in 2017 GE.
  • There are few who inspire as much as your unnamed one. Sadly, that inspiration is as much negative as positive.
    Essexit said:

Raab, Cleverly, McVey?

See you in Manchester.

He was a sincere and driven Leave campaigner who risked his career for what he believes in. He has experience leading three different government departments. He had a humble beginning, being adopted at the age of four months. I didn't say a name, but he popped into your head, didn't he?
    TOPPING said:

Mortimer said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Yes that is true. Call it a work in progress although it is zingy-ish and easy to remember. Who after all holds the Tories to their Jacobean ideals?
    :)

JackW of this parish, presumably?

TOPPING said:

The Tories need someone who will really take the fight to Corbyn and argue about economics and public debt and priorities, and the threat to democracy from Milne and co etc etc.

KK does spring to mind.
    Essexit said:

Raab, Cleverly, McVey?

See you in Manchester.

I would be doubly happy if he were the next Conservative leader. First, because I have a very nice betting position on him. Secondly, because the Conservative party would undergo a Rhapsody in Blue glissando in the polls.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,741
    England's selectors have taken leave of their senses.

Not only have they retained Malan, but they've called up Mason Crane.

Didn't Simon Kerrigan teach them anything?
  • EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    Baskerville, Alastair - I'd put it to you that a lot of the dislike for Gove comes from people who wouldn't vote Conservative anyway (e.g. teachers). That said I think he's annoyed enough people within the PCP that he wouldn't even make it to a members' vote, much to my regret.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,765
    edited August 2017
    Mortimer said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

If one wants to reverse Brexit, surely one should just join the Lib Dems. What would be the point of a rival anti-Brexit party?
    Essexit said:

Baskerville, Alastair - I'd put it to you that a lot of the dislike for Gove comes from people who wouldn't vote Conservative anyway (e.g. teachers). That said I think he's annoyed enough people within the PCP that he wouldn't even make it to a members' vote, much to my regret.

His rapprochement with George Osborne is intriguing in that regard. One wonders what Mr O might want in return for the assistance that he can offer.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,957
    edited August 2017

Essexit said:

His rapprochement with George Osborne is intriguing in that regard. One wonders what Mr O might want in return for the assistance that he can offer.
    Both want the restoration of Cameron's one nation Toryism, the only kind of Toryism that won the Tories a majority in the last 25 years.

Remember if Gove had won the Tory leadership contest, he would have kept Osborne on as Chancellor.

Osborne won't be the Mandelson to Gove's Brown though.
  • JohnO rates Damian Green, which is good enough for me, however I'm not keen on him where he was gratuitously rude about David Cameron in a recent interview.
    Essexit said:

A lot of teachers do (or did) vote Conservative.

University workers are overwhelmingly left wing, but school teachers are not.
  • The Tory conference is going to be like The X Factor but with Boris Johnson, David Davis, Liam Fox, Andrea Leadsom, et al
    On this market, much depends on whether you think Theresa May will see it through to the next general election. If like me you think she'll go beforehand, there is often better value to be found on the "next Prime Minister" market. For example, you can back Damian Green for a couple of quid at 38 on that market as I write.

Mind, oddly, at various times some of the leading Conservatives have been shorter for next Prime Minister than for next leader of the Conservative party.
  • MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,281

TOPPING said:

They need to talk about practical things that people can relate to.

Young people like travelling.

So I would major on stuff like the prospect of a currency crisis and the imposition of exchange controls.

How many people under say 40 have even heard of exchange controls?
  • ydoethur said:

You have to give Malan another chance. I know you and I wouldn't have picked him in the first place, but having been picked I think he has to be given a decent run.

Jennings is another we would never have picked but he was so pitifully out of form he should have gone before Old Trafford, and today's decision is a merciful release.

If Woakes is fit he will surely replace R-Jones.

I know nothing of Crane, although I'm moderately surprised that the selectors think another Hampshire man is the best replacement for Dawson. If Crane isn't the best spinner in Hampshire, is he likely to be the best in England? What has Rashid done to upset people?

Do I detect excessive KP influence?
  • isamisam Posts: 40,730

ydoethur said:

You have to give Malan another chance. I know you and I wouldn't have picked him in the first place, but having been picked I think he has to be given a decent run.

Jennings is another we would never have picked but he was so pitifully out of form he should have gone before Old Trafford, and today's decision is a merciful release.

I know nothing of Crane, although I'm moderately surprised that the selectors think another Hampshire man is the best replacement for Dawson. If Crane isn't the best spinner in Hampshire, is he likely to be the best in England? What has Rashid done to upset people?

Haseeb Hameed. 3 tests, averaging 43.8, cant get a look in, madness

http://www.espncricinfo.com/england/content/player/632172.html
  • Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,225
    edited August 2017
    isam said:

ydoethur said:

Something to do with his technique, apparently.

No, I don't get it either.
  • ydoethur said:

No KP influence whilst Strauss is in charge.

Rashid's issue is that he doesn't offer control by bowling far too many four balls.
  • There's also the balance between personality and policies to get right. TM appeared to have the personality voters liked, but then launched random, untested policies that undermined her whole strong and stable image. Candidates were promised a light touch manifesto and were given Timothy's Phd thesis.

The next leader needs to have personality, but also needs a programme to sell.

Agreed, he/she needs to highlight Corbyn's weaknesses on economy/defence/everything, but the key is positive policies for those who think the 'establishment' and the status quo couldn't give a rat's arse about their concerns.

Want the 30-49 vote? Pick a 30-49 leader who knows about finding a mortgage deposit, has kids in school, hasn't been wearing Oxford Union undies since leaving their private nursery and possesses both a sense of humour and self-awareness.

Should be easy.
  • welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    MikeL said:

TOPPING said:

So I would major on stuff like the prospect of a currency crisis and the imposition of exchange controls.

Even the vague possibility of these have already influenced my actions.
  • ydoethur said:

Rashid's issue is that he doesn't offer control by bowling far too many four balls.
    But who is in charge? There seem to be so many that it is hard to pin down who is making all the duff calls we've seen this summer. They given themselves an extra problem too now in that if the newcomers excel against a fairly weak side like the Windies, they will pretty much have to go on tour and face a definitely not very weak side.

Does is matter if they have a spinner who isn't economical? They have plenty of bowlers who can keep it tight.

isam said:

ydoethur said:

The comms don't stop banging on about the need to break up the left handers at the top of the order, and we have a rhb sitting at home watching Keaton Jennings play and miss! Jennings only got in the team because HH was injured, and who cares about county form, it is worthless. How bizarre.

edited August 2017

The Tory conference is going to be like The X Factor but with Boris Johnson, David Davis, Liam Fox, Andrea Leadsom, et al

More GOT? Baratheon, Stark, Lannister, Greyjoy?
  • isam said:

isam said:

ydoethur said:

The comms don't stop banging on about the need to break up the left handers at the top of the order, and we have a rhb sitting at home watching Keaton Jennings play and miss! Jennings only got in the team because HH was injured, and who cares about county form, it is worthless. How bizarre.

Good County form does matter, unless you already have solid Test form in the book. Jennings had neither.

isam said:

isam said:

ydoethur said:

Good County form does matter, unless you already have solid Test form in the book. Jennings had neither.
    Yeah as you say, if you don't have test form. It is inconceivable HH would have been dropped after the Indian tour had he not got injured
  • ydoethur said:

But who is in charge? There seem to be so many that it is hard to pin down who is making all the duff calls we've seen this summer. They given themselves an extra problem too now in that if the newcomers excel against a fairly weak side like the Windies, they will pretty much have to go on tour and face a definitely not very weak side.

Does is matter if they have a spinner who isn't economical? They have plenty of bowlers who can keep it tight.
    Angus Fraser and Mick Newell are selectors but they are Director of Cricket at Middlesex and Nottinghamshire, that's a huge conflict of interests in my books.

According to Atherton, Strauss sets the parameters/targets but Bayliss and the selectors do the selecting, but Root has a lot of influence, which explains why Ballance got back in the team.

I can understand the control argument, what would/did happen, is batsmen would be cautious against Anderson, Broad, Woakes, and Stokes, then unleash against Rashid.

Personally I'd have Rashid in the team, his strike rate is comparable to Ali's.
    welshowl said:

MikeL said:

TOPPING said:

I asked on here the other day about mechanics of opening an overseas bank account (ie completely outside any UK jurisdiction).

There were some helpful posts but would be grateful if anyone could give a comprehensive reply.

eg I have family in Canada and thought I might open an account there - but have been advised that you probably need a Canadian NI number (or equivalent) to do so.

Can anyone advise what they have done.

I would basically like to open an account and just deposit say £1,000 in it for now. But crucially it must be able to receive international transfers - so a substantial sum could be transferred in future at short notice.
    MikeL said:

welshowl said:

MikeL said:

TOPPING said:

I asked on here the other day about mechanics of opening an overseas bank account (ie completely outside any UK jurisdiction).

There were some helpful posts but would be grateful if anyone could give a comprehensive reply.

eg I have family in Canada and thought I might open an account there - but have been advised that you probably need a Canadian NI number (or equivalent) to do so.

I would basically like to open an account and just deposit say £1,000 in it for now. But crucially it must be able to receive international transfers - so a substantial sum could be transferred in future at short notice.
    Try Ireland.

There's also the balance between personality and policies to get right. TM appeared to have the personality voters liked, but then launched random, untested policies that undermined her whole strong and stable image. Candidates were promised a light touch manifesto and were given Timothy's Phd thesis.

The next leader needs to have personality, but also needs a programme to sell.

Agreed, he/she needs to highlight Corbyn's weaknesses on economy/defence/everything, but the key is positive policies for those who think the 'establishment' and the status quo couldn't give a rat's arse about their concerns.

Want the 30-49 vote? Pick a 30-49 leader who knows about finding a mortgage deposit, has kids in school, hasn't been wearing Oxford Union undies since leaving their private nursery and possesses both a sense of humour and self-awareness.

Should be easy.

With Theresa May, there was a very odd mix of right wing and left wing policies, which sometimes conflicted with each other.
    Cook
    Hameed
    Westley
    Root
    Hales
    Stokes
    Bairstow
    Ali
    Woakes
    Broad
    Anderson

In the first Ashes Test
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,957
    edited August 2017
    welshowl said:

The Tory conference is going to be like The X Factor but with Boris Johnson, David Davis, Liam Fox, Andrea Leadsom, et al

More GOT? Baratheon, Stark, Lannister, Greyjoy?
    Already been there (from June 2016)

Boris Johnson ally Ben Wallace threatens to go 'Game of Thones' on Michael Gove and give him a penectomy.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/michael-gove-game-of-thrones-tory-leadership-brexit-boris-johnson-ally-threatens-theon-greyjoy-a7113656.html
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,393
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

ydoethur said:

Yeah as you say, if you don't have test form. It is inconceivable HH would have been dropped after the Indian tour had he not got injured
    Harriet Harman?

Confused....
    welshowl said:

MikeL said:

welshowl said:

MikeL said:

TOPPING said:

Try Ireland.
    Many thanks.

Could I just ask you what are your views on mechanics.

eg Could you do it at say Bank of Ireland in London or to be 100% safe must you physically go and do it in Dublin?

Key point raised on here last week is you must not be dealing with a UK subsidiary.
  • Wouldn't be boring, that's for sure... Hales to Woakes would be the biggest hitting middle order since the Battle of Trafalgar.
    isam said:

Cook
    Hameed
    Westley
    Root
    Hales
    Stokes
    Bairstow
    Ali
    Woakes
    Broad
    Anderson

In the first Ashes Test

• isam said:

Cook
    Hameed
    Westley
    Root
    Hales
    Stokes
    Bairstow
    Ali
    Woakes
    Broad
    Anderson

In the first Ashes Test

Looks alright. Personally I'd have Buttler in rather than Hales but I see where you are coming from.

Being an England selector should be the easiest job in the world. Seven players pick themselves and with three genuine all-rounders in the side (Stokes/Ali/Bairstow) you have huge scope as regards the other four places. You can spend your entire time just looking for those four additional players - and they come up with Dawson, Jennings, Malan.....? Even Westley and R-Jones are questionable, although worth a little run now.

Tell Root and Strauss to pick the side they want and sack Bayliss, Whittaker, Fraser and the rest.
  • Wouldn't be boring, that's for sure... Hales to Woakes would be the biggest hitting middle order since the Battle of Trafalgar.

isam said:

Cook
    Hameed
    Westley
    Root
    Hales
    Stokes
    Bairstow
    Ali
    Woakes
    Broad
    Anderson

In the first Ashes Test

Waterloo surely, not Trafalgar.

Hard pounding this, gentlemen; let's see who will pound longest.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 15,543

GIN1138 said:

There's a severe risk of the Tories selecting an IDS type figure (it would be hilarious if they actually did reselect Iain Duncan Smith). I mean someone who panders to their prejudices and they feel a lot more comfortable with emotionally but has no obvious reason to be chosen. Only a Remainer can avoid a failed Brexit because you can't limit damage if you don't accept there's significant damage to be limited.
    edited August 2017

isam said:

Cook
    Hameed
    Westley
    Root
    Hales
    Stokes
    Bairstow
    Ali
    Woakes
    Broad
    Anderson

In the first Ashes Test

Looks alright. Personally I'd have Buttler in rather than Hales but I see where you are coming from.

Being an England selector should be the easiest job in the world. Seven players pick themselves and with three genuine all-rounders in the side (Stokes/Ali/Bairstow) you have huge scope as regards the other four places. You can spend your entire time just looking for those four additional players - and they come up with Dawson, Jennings, Malan.....? Even Westley and R-Jones are questionable, although worth a little run now.

Tell Root and Strauss to pick the side they want and sack Bayliss, Whittaker, Fraser and the rest.
    I could consider Buttler for Hales purely by virtue of his being the most beautifully spoken, charming young man I have seen interviewed this year! And piercing blue eyes, the first time I have ever noticed another mans eyes
  • ydoethur said:

Angus Fraser and Mick Newell are selectors but they are Director of Cricket at Middlesex and Nottinghamshire, that's a huge conflict of interests in my books.

According to Atherton, Strauss sets the parameters/targets but Bayliss and the selectors do the selecting, but Root has a lot of influence, which explains why Ballance got back in the team.

I can understand the control argument, what would/did happen, is batsmen would be cautious against Anderson, Broad, Woakes, and Stokes, then unleash against Rashid.

Middlesex bias in the selection of England teams goes back generations. Newell I don't know. What are his credentials?

Bayliss is out of the country a lot of the time and anyway on current form deserves the sack. I really don't see why Root and Strauss can't do the job alone. If they need advice or help they can ask for it.

You forgot Ali. If those four plus Ali can't do the job, you are in trouble anyway. Rashid does at least give you an extra dimension. Dawson does not, unless you are playing for a draw on a dead pitch.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,769
    Sean_F said:

Essexit said:

Our very own ydoether would, I think, struggle to vote for a Gove led Conservative Party. (As for that matter, would I.)
    isam said:

isam said:

Cook
    Hameed
    Westley
    Root
    Hales
    Stokes
    Bairstow
    Ali
    Woakes
    Broad
    Anderson

In the first Ashes Test

I could consider Buttler for Hales purely by virtue of his being the most beautifully spoken, charming young man I have seen interviewed this year! And piercing blue eyes, the first time I have ever noticed another mans eyes
    They might be green eyes!

On this market, much depends on whether you think Theresa May will see it through to the next general election. If like me you think she'll go beforehand, there is often better value to be found on the "next Prime Minister" market. For example, you can back Damian Green for a couple of quid at 38 on that market as I write.

Mind, oddly, at various times some of the leading Conservatives have been shorter for next Prime Minister than for next leader of the Conservative party.

Presumably that's on the assumption that they'll quit the Conservative Party, join and then lead the Democrats, and then win the 2022 General Election.

edited August 2017
    Tonight I'm having dinner with two friends. She is Portuguese, and a genuine and fervent EU fan. He is English and a Eurosceptic.

I will be trying to keep the conversation away from Brexit.
  • TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    isam said:

Cook
    Hameed
    Westley
    Root
    Hales
    Stokes
    Bairstow
    Ali
    Woakes
    Broad
    Anderson

In the first Ashes Test

In Australia you need pace so I think Mark Wood could be a starter.
    MikeL said:

welshowl said:

MikeL said:

welshowl said:

MikeL said:

TOPPING said:

Try Ireland.
    Many thanks.

Could I just ask you what are your views on mechanics.

eg Could you do it at say Bank of Ireland in London or to be 100% safe must you physically go and do it in Dublin?

Key point raised on here last week is you must not be dealing with a UK subsidiary.
    Missed the conversation about UK subsidiary. What was that? (Eg opening a Swiss Franc account at Barclays/ HSBC etc on a UK High St?)
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    Nice to see Lynsey Sharp win the women's 800 semi.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517
    rcs1000 said:

Tonight I'm having dinner with two friends. She is Portuguese, and a genuine and fervent EU fan. He is English and a Eurosceptic.

I will be trying to keep the conversation away from Brexit.

Bring the subject up. Reasonable people can reasonably differ.

One of my dearest friends was so left-wing that he made Skinner look like Thatcher. Yet we'd chew the cud and remain friends at the end of the evening.

An example: I drove him to his house in my landy. He pointed at the hillside above his house and said: "That was a coal mine until **** Thatcher shut it."

The hillside was grassland with small bits of concrete protruding. This was the early nineties, and most of the mines closed in the eighties were still unlandscaped. So I asked him when the mine closed. He replied: "a hundred years ago. It's still ******* ***** **** ***** **** **** that **** **** sh*t **** ***** **** bit*h Thatcher's fault!"

Yet he only wanted a better life for all. Perhaps that's the real centrist position: wanting things to improve for all.
    edited August 2017
    MikeL said:

welshowl said:

MikeL said:

TOPPING said:

I have a US Dollar bank account, with Capital One in the US. For a long time, I thought you needed a US Social Security number to open a US bank account, but it turns out you do not: however, if you don't have an SSN (or US taxpayer identification number), then the bank cannot pay you interest. (Not currently a big problem.)

You will need to go to the foreign country and open the bank account there. There may very well be laws requiring you to have a local address. (In the UK, as I'm sure you know, banks require an awful lot of documentation to let you open an account.) The US is far more flexible.

If you open a US dollar bank account - for example - with Citibank UK, it is still a UK account, and therefore could in future be affected by the UK government.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,571

ydoethur said:

Middlesex bias in the selection of England teams goes back generations. Newell I don't know. What are his credentials?

Bayliss is out of the country a lot of the time and anyway on current form deserves the sack. I really don't see why Root and Strauss can't do the job alone. If they need advice or help they can ask for it.

You forgot Ali. If those four plus Ali can't do the job, you are in trouble anyway. Rashid does at least give you an extra dimension. Dawson does not, unless you are playing for a draw on a dead pitch.
    I've no idea what Bayliss adds to selection considering he's said he hadn't even seen one of the recent picks bat....
    I agree about Rashid, but I fear he has incorrectly been pigeonholed as a one day player only. And for a leggie, he's still pretty young.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,571

isam said:

Cook
    Hameed
    Westley
    Root
    Hales
    Stokes
    Bairstow
    Ali
    Woakes
    Broad
    Anderson

In the first Ashes Test

Indeed. The English are bounced out in Oz, the Aussies swung out in England.

On a vaguely similar line (ish), two S African rugby teams are joining the Pro 12 rugby (The league of Celts and Italians). I shall be fascinated to see how the travelling affects them, and having to play on the high Veldt in high summer one week, and the likes of Glasgow in depths of winter the next.

isam said:

Cook
    Hameed
    Westley
    Root
    Hales
    Stokes
    Bairstow
    Ali
    Woakes
    Broad
    Anderson

In the first Ashes Test

Yeah. I like Finn, we share a hairstyle
    rcs1000 said:

MikeL said:

welshowl said:

MikeL said:

TOPPING said:

I have a US Dollar bank account, with Capital One in the US. For a long time, I thought you needed a US Social Security number to open a US bank account, but it turns out you do not: however, if you don't have an SSN (or US taxpayer identification number), then the bank cannot pay you interest. (Not currently a big problem.)

You will need to go to the foreign country and open the bank account there. There may very well be laws requiring you to have a local address. (In the UK, as I'm sure you know, banks require an awful lot of documentation to let you open an account.) The US is far more flexible.

If you open a US dollar bank account - for example - with Citibank UK, it is still a UK account, and therefore could in future be affected by the UK government.
    Quite. Your bank branch that holds the account has to be subject to foreign jurisdiction I guess is the rule of thumb? Making the likes of Jersey not far enough ultimately.
    rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Essexit said:

Our very own ydoether would, I think, struggle to vote for a Gove led Conservative Party. (As for that matter, would I.)
    Struggle is the wrong word.

I would vote Corbyn in a choice between the man with the gay donkey obsession, the Jezziah and being tortured horribly to death over several hours while listening to Brown's budget speeches.

If you replace Corbyn with Gove I would choose death.

And yet we did vote Conservative in 2010. He promised to set us free to teach and stop meddling...first lie in a distinguished career of deception.
    Nigelb said:
    That's interesting, thanks.
    edited August 2017

isam said:

Cook
    Hameed
    Westley
    Root
    Hales
    Stokes
    Bairstow
    Ali
    Woakes
    Broad
    Anderson

In the first Ashes Test

If he's fit. Ball might be a better option.

On the subject of Rashid, most leg spinners bowl release balls, which is why it was fading from fashion before Warne arrived. But they also provide a genuine attacking option when the ball is old. If they are wily and experienced, or utterly brilliant. Crane is neither.

If anyone wants to see a rather clever introduction, check out Stuart McGill's Cricinfo page. Although even that isn't as good as David Gower's.
  • I have been on holiday in north east Scotland and Berwick upon Tweed and have only posted from time to time as the EU debate has become so polarised. It is easy to see both sides of the story but the end result will be a compromise and I have become more laid back for my own peace of mind.

It is therefore my intention to contribute less for a period of time and pursue other interests.

I hope everyone will discover the secret of being nicer to one another as no one has the an easy answer to the most complex issues facing the UK and the entire World.

I will dip in from time to time but for now all the very best to everyone no matter that we may not share the same view of politics.

MikeL said:

welshowl said:

MikeL said:

TOPPING said:

In Canada you could explore a Credit Union. I had an account when I lived there without permission to work or permanent residency. It is basically a building society. However, the rules for eligibility may have changed since then. I was unable to open a bank account.
  • surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    dixiedean said:

MikeL said:

welshowl said:

MikeL said:

TOPPING said:

In Canada you could explore a Credit Union. I had an account when I lived there without permission to work or permanent residency. It is basically a building society. However, the rules for eligibility may have changed since then. I was unable to open a bank account.
    Go to Dubai or Singapore. No questions asked.
    edited August 2017
    Wow.

The council confirmed that "strengthening works" - carried out on estates under government order across the UK in the wake of Ronan Point - may never have happened on the Ledbury.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-40891474

For context, Ronan Point is a world-famous structural failure from 1968 - it's in a book I recently purchased on structural failures. The idea that the required works were not performed after it is staggering.

Although Labour will probably still try to blame May ...
    Many thanks to all for your replies.

If for sake of argument I went to Dublin and tried to open an account with Bank of Ireland, would they insist on an Irish address?
    surbiton said:

dixiedean said:

MikeL said:

welshowl said:

MikeL said:

TOPPING said:

Fair enough, but he did ask about Canada. Btw your answer shows why there won't be exchange controls under Corbyn and warning about them won't work. People are used to moving money around. The world has moved on.
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    MikeL said:

If for sake of argument I went to Dublin and tried to open an account with Bank of Ireland, would they insist on an Irish address?

If you make a spoof application for a current account on their website, you are told on page 2 that "Because you are not resident in Ireland at this time, we will require your identification documents to be certified. For example, by a solicitor or police officer", so no seems to be the answer.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    surbiton said:

dixiedean said:

MikeL said:

welshowl said:

MikeL said:

TOPPING said:

For an offshore dollar account all you'll need is a passport copy and proof of address which can be anywhere in the world. They may report back to HMRC if requested but your money's safe from any potential UK currency controls or Pound crashes.
  • PendduPenddu Posts: 265
    I have dormant accounts in Dubai and Shanghai if you want to deposit some cash in them....
    dixiedean said:

surbiton said:

dixiedean said:

MikeL said:

welshowl said:

MikeL said:

TOPPING said:

Fair enough, but he did ask about Canada. Btw your answer shows why there won't be exchange controls under Corbyn and warning about them won't work. People are used to moving money around. The world has moved on.
    Well I 99.9% agree but why risk the 0.1%? The shadow chancellor was lobbing Mao's little red book around the despatch box not that long ago.

I have other reasons anyway personally, but even if I didn't, putting some assets beyond the ability of Corbyn, McDonnell, and the likes of Milne to screw them up seems like a sound insurance policy.
  • stevefstevef Posts: 1,044
    Bald men fighting for a comb. I would say to the Tories "if you want to win the election next time, pick a leader from outside the cabinet",
    Many thanks again for all replies.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Sandpit said:

surbiton said:

dixiedean said:

MikeL said:

welshowl said:

MikeL said:

TOPPING said:

For an offshore dollar account all you'll need is a passport copy and proof of address which can be anywhere in the world. They may report back to HMRC if requested but your money's safe from any potential UK currency controls or Pound crashes.
    Bank crashes, not so much.

Feels churlish to point out that Corbyn is trying to help those without the luxury of enough to put in offshore accounts and that might be a good thing
  • MikeL said:

Delurking to reply. I'm a bit of an aficionado at foreign bank accounts since my company does 80% of it's sales abroad!

Different countries have different rules. If you want a US account then Citibank is the best one to use. You can go to any Citibank branch in the USA with a passport and a bank statement/utility bill for proof of address. You don't need a US address to do this. They'll set up the account there and then with online banking too. You can receive and send international payments using the online banking system.

Even easier is Ireland. The best bank to go for in Ireland is Ulster Bank, because it is set up in Northern Ireland as well, so the staff are used to opening accounts for Brits in Ireland and vice versa. Just ring up their customer service (0345 366 5592 - I've got it in my phone!) and say you want to open an account in the Republic of Ireland. Or you can do it online. They'll send you a form to fill in, and then you need to go to a branch of RBS or Natwest in the UK with passport and proof of address. They will verify your identity and then send the application directly to Ireland via their internal post, so you don't even need to go to Ireland to do it. You don't need an Irish address either - all correspondence comes to the UK.

Hope this helps!
    Jonathan said:

Sandpit said:

surbiton said:

dixiedean said:

MikeL said:

welshowl said:

MikeL said:

TOPPING said:

Bank crashes, not so much.

Feels churlish to point out that Corbyn is trying to help those without the luxury of enough to put in offshore accounts and that might be a good thing
    I understand the sentiment, but also understand those scared witless by Corbyn and McMao's policies. Screwing the rich always ends up screwing the middle classes.
    Scott_P said:
    Because reasons, and whashisname Chapman say so?

Seriously, Remainers need to get over themselves.
This discussion has been closed.