Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tories who want TMay out well before the general election are

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited September 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tories who want TMay out well before the general election are going to have to forcibly remove her

I’ve been of the view since June that TMay’s objective was to try to remain in office to fight the next election which, if she succeeded, would make amends for GE17.

Read the full story here

Comments

• TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,959
    edited September 2017
    So she replaced the sycophants Nick Timothy and Fiona Hill with another sycophant Damian Green.

She must go.
  • Come on Tories, do your duty and replace her.

The PCP should stop thinking they are as impotent as a eunuch.
  • Takes time for a head of steam to build. It may be that the PCP should axe her as soon as possible.

Green's reported comments about the Lib Dems or Greens speaks of a man crossing his fingers rather than planning for action of his own. Did the Romans hope a new barbarian tribe would attack their enemies, or plan and execute their own actions?

To defeat Labour is in the Conservatives' hands, hoping that diminutive leftwing parties will help them is folly at best.

I did criticise Green for being a wet some time ago. I seem to recall some sort of eagle-ish fellow saying he was alright :p

Once again, the Morris Dancer lightweight-o-meter (which saw through Burnham when others were praising him) proves accurate.

May I draw your attention to the title of the previous thread?

Also FPT: which pb'ers will be at Manchester next week? I'm assuming bigjohnowls will be there...
  • So she replaced the sycophants Nick Timothy and Fiona Hill with another sycophant Damian Green.

She must go.

Green may be a sycophant but Hill and Timothy seem to have been more like Svengali figures to judge from the flood of hostility from ministers and MPs.
  • Takes time for a head of steam to build. It may be that the PCP should axe her as soon as possible.

Green's reported comments about the Lib Dems or Greens speaks of a man crossing his fingers rather than planning for action of his own. Did the Romans hope a new barbarian tribe would attack their enemies, or plan and execute their own actions?

To defeat Labour is in the Conservatives' hands, hoping that diminutive leftwing parties will help them is folly at best.

I did criticise Green for being a wet some time ago. I seem to recall some sort of eagle-ish fellow saying he was alright :p

Once again, the Morris Dancer lightweight-o-meter (which saw through Burnham when others were praising him) proves accurate.

Dave was right when he sacked Damian Green.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,958
    My contacts in the party say she is safe until she delivers Brexit. After that....it depends on whether it looks like the party will lose. The pool of those who want to lead that defeat is quite small. The pool who want a go after that election quite large. Don't expect change unless, ironically, the Brexit settlement is popular. Then - counter intuitively - she has to fight off a challenge.
  • philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    “She’s warm, has a sense of humour, she’s good company and she is, as has been observed, fantastically hardworking and conscientious … The more people see that, the better she will do politically,”

Heard all this before about some bloke called James.

James Gordon Brown

How did that end?

Also FPT: which pb'ers will be at Manchester next week? I'm assuming bigjohnowls will be there...
    Even DD will be better than Theresa May.

Alas I won't be in Manchester next week.

Come on Tories, do your duty and replace her.

But will GO?
  • philiph said:

But will GO?
    I hope so.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,764
    Be careful what you wish for. Persuading Boris that he has no options would be a serious mistake. Even if he did not win I don't think May would survive it. Cameron didn't and he was several classes better than May.
    FPT - a very lesuirely lunch gathering. I would try and make that, although as the party's desgnated driver.....

I know it won't happen there, but the best value venue for that lunch would be Gideligh Park on Dartmoor. £60 a head for a Michelin 2 Star 2 course lunch! Brilliant value. I can drive you from Exeter.....and back!
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    edited September 2017

I have not heard of the UK erecting a border. Indeed I would expect Theresa May to say the border stays as it is now and free trade flows between the two - thereby handing the responsibility to the EU to erect their own border on Irish soil. That would be very interesting

Yes, exactly, except that it wouldn't be the EU, it would be the Irish government setting up the border posts, which would be electorally interesting for them. Lord only know how they'd do it in the time available, mind.

So, we'd allow free movement of goods into NI, but British goods would be subject to full customs clearance going the other way. That sounds like a big win for the Irish to me. What am I missing?

Let us just do everything the Leaver's way because they sure as heck will not listen to anything approximating reason. So let us do everything they suggest and when the s**t hits the fan we will at least get the entertaining spectacle of watching them tell us that it is not their fault.
    This rather ignores that there is not a single 'leavers way' to take '. Indeed the lack of clarity has been a complaint, a much more vali'd one. So your suggestion is a nonsense.
  • YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    Off topic I have been watching The Vietnam War on I player, I think it is on BBC 4.I think it is excellent lots of stuff I was not aware of .I remember watching documentaries before on the subject but this seems more insightful.
    philiph said:

“She’s warm, has a sense of humour, she’s good company and she is, as has been observed, fantastically hardworking and conscientious … The more people see that, the better she will do politically,”

James Gordon Brown

How did that end?

Did you really hear that about Gordon Brown? I mean - really??? Warm? Sense of humour??

I know people who worked in Gordon Brown's Downing Street - and that doesn't exactly sound like the description I've heard!
  • rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    Yorkcity said:

Off topic I have been watching The Vietnam War on I player, I think it is on BBC 4.I think it is excellent lots of stuff I was not aware of .I remember watching documentaries before on the subject but this seems more insightful.

Ken Burns is essentially America's answer to David Attenborough, only he does regular history, not natural.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    The opportunity has passed I think. Country is more important than party, and right now the Brexit negotiations need everyone to join together and sing Kumbaya keep their differences to themselves for a year or so and get behind the negotiations

I’d have thought Mrs May leaves office in the summer of 2019.
  • Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    edited September 2017
    kle4 said:

I have not heard of the UK erecting a border. Indeed I would expect Theresa May to say the border stays as it is now and free trade flows between the two - thereby handing the responsibility to the EU to erect their own border on Irish soil. That would be very interesting

Yes, exactly, except that it wouldn't be the EU, it would be the Irish government setting up the border posts, which would be electorally interesting for them. Lord only know how they'd do it in the time available, mind.

So, we'd allow free movement of goods into NI, but British goods would be subject to full customs clearance going the other way. That sounds like a big win for the Irish to me. What am I missing?

Let us just do everything the Leaver's way because they sure as heck will not listen to anything approximating reason. So let us do everything they suggest and when the s**t hits the fan we will at least get the entertaining spectacle of watching them tell us that it is not their fault.
    This rather ignores that there is not a single 'leavers way'. Indeed the lack of clarity has been a complaint, a much more vali'd one. So your suggestion is a nonsense.
    It was not really a serious suggestion other than it seems that the only way to kill off the preconceptions is to WTO and see what happens.

The amount of squabbling that is going on seems to be producing very few results. We just seem to be ignoring the ticking clock. Like the Soviet Union - nothing matters except ideological purity.....

As for being in Manchester next week - I am in Manchester every week :)
    edited September 2017

philiph said:

James Gordon Brown

How did that end?

Did you really hear that about Gordon Brown? I mean - really??? Warm? Sense of humour??

I know people who worked in Gordon Brown's Downing Street - and that doesn't exactly sound like the description I've heard!
    From his close friends as comments pushed to the media, yes. In an attempt tomake him appear more normal, human, warm.

Spin in other words
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited September 2017

philiph said:

James Gordon Brown

How did that end?

That was the attempted spin...except it was about as believable as Mrs May holidaying in Ibiza super clubs.
  • Re: the slavery discussion in the last thread - Britain continued to use indentured serfs until the early 20th century and that is now classified as slavery. There was a study of serfs in I think Jamaica but I could be wrong, where between 1870-1900 they had a higher yearly mortality rate than in the gulags during WW2 - I'll try to find it.

Has anyone seen the new Victoria film? Trailer made it seem like a 'Stalin and his Ukrainian peasant friend' levels of offensive given the millions allowed to die under her rule (eg https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1057/978-1-137-59416-7_11)
  • Did you really hear that about Gordon Brown? I mean - really??? Warm? Sense of humour??

I have a friend who went from a very senior position in the private sector to work in the Cabinet Office under Gordon Brown. Sadly, she was disgracefully discreet, and refused to tell me anything, other than that she had interesting things she could tell me!

FPT - a very lesuirely lunch gathering. I would try and make that, although as the party's desgnated driver.....

I know it won't happen there, but the best value venue for that lunch would be Gideligh Park on Dartmoor. £60 a head for a Michelin 2 Star 2 course lunch! Brilliant value. I can drive you from Exeter.....and back!

Tempting
  • Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,784

philiph said:

But will GO?
    I hope so.
    You could still walk by the massed ranks of sniffer dogs and tactical units securing the conference centre this morning. Interesting scene. I'll give it a miss next week though.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    Given the only Tory who takes the Tory voteshare higher than May does is Boris and he has no interest in taking over until April 2019 as he wants Davis and her to take the blame within the party for any concessions made to the EU for a transition period while having his hands clean from dealmaking himself she is safe until then.

If she tries to stay put after then then and only then will a move be made
  • Pro_Rata said:

philiph said:

But will GO?
    I hope so.
    You could still walk by the massed ranks of sniffer dogs and tactical units securing the conference centre this morning. Interesting scene. I'll give it a miss next week though.
    I was there in 2015, the great unwashed made it an unpleasant experience outside the venues, but inside it was amazing, because Dave won a majority.

This time inside it'll be worse because Mrs May lost Dave's majority against Jeremy fecking Corbyn.
  • philiph said:

James Gordon Brown

How did that end?

Brown and May -- popular and humorous in small groups of close friends and allies, but awkward in public. Sounds the same in both cases -- remember Green has been TM's mate since Oxford.

This time inside it'll be worse because Mrs May lost Dave's majority against Jeremy fecking Corbyn.

Really? I am amazed that you have never brought that up before!
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    edited September 2017
    Very disappointed about new thread header. Surely it should have been:

"Lunch. When? Where?"

(Who gets to pick the wine?)
  • This time inside it'll be worse because Mrs May lost Dave's majority against Jeremy fecking Corbyn.

Really? I am amazed that you have never brought that up before!
    It's to remind the idiots that think polling 40% plus is a good thing without mentioning she lost the majority.
    If the election is on 2022 ousting may can wait. The problem is something might come up before then and then they're stuck.
  • Pro_Rata said:

philiph said:

But will GO?
    I hope so.
    I was there in 2015, the great unwashed made it an unpleasant experience outside the venues, but inside it was amazing, because Dave won a majority.

Correct me if I'm wrong TSE but sometimes I get the impression that you are not Mrs. May' most ardent fan - but then who is?
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    edited September 2017

Pro_Rata said:

philiph said:

But will GO?
    I hope so.

Why is it held in Manchester though ?

Manchester absolutely hates the Conservatives ! Even during Torymania when the locals were on Andy Burnham crushed everyone else for the mayoralty, and that was when the blue team was winning Tees valley, West Midlands...

Surely Birmingham would have been a better choice with Andy Street being mayor and all.
  • Scott_P said:
    I like how she says £0.3 billion, instead of £300 million.

She's not all bad, she got rid of the horrid Victoria Borwick.
  • Pulpstar said:

Pro_Rata said:

philiph said:

But will GO?
    I hope so.

Manchester absolutely hates the Conservatives ! Even during Torymania when the locals were on Andy Burnham crushed everyone else for the mayoralty, and that was when the blue team was winning Tees valley, West Midlands...
    Manchester is a much better venue for hotels and security than the coastal towns.

They've alternated with Birmingham in recent years
    Pulpstar said:

Pro_Rata said:

philiph said:

But will GO?
    I hope so.

Surely Birmingham would have been a better choice with Andy Street being mayor and all.
    Trafford is normally Tory (albeit Burnham won it)

Pro_Rata said:

philiph said:

But will GO?
    I hope so.

Correct me if I'm wrong TSE but sometimes I get the impression that you are not Mrs. May' most ardent fan - but then who is?
    Damien Green?
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,574

So she replaced the sycophants Nick Timothy and Fiona Hill with another sycophant Damian Green.

She must go.

Green may be a sycophant but Hill and Timothy seem to have been more like Svengali figures to judge from the flood of hostility from ministers and MPs.
    There's also something of a difference between being a loyal old friend, and a sycophant.

One can't really blame the very decent but rather ineffectual Green for sticking with May, and everything he said about her - ("“She’s warm, has a sense of humour, she’s good company and she is, as has been observed, fantastically hardworking and conscientious … The more people see that, the better she will do politically,”) - apart from the last bit, is entirely defensible.

None of it makes her a good leader, though - and the idea that she can credibly lead the Tories into the next general election is the sheerest fantasy.
  • Pro_Rata said:

philiph said:

But will GO?
    I hope so.

I love Theresa May, she made me look like a visionary.

When everyone was fawning over and I kept on warning people she was a pound shop Gordon Brown.
    edited September 2017

Pro_Rata said:

philiph said:

But will GO?
    I hope so.

Philip May? (Have a lot of time for him he was regularly making calls from CCHQ throughout the campaign, very polite and happy to give selfies and no airs, intelligent and had a successful City career, he and Theresa were introduced by the late Benazir Bhutto and in his time at the Oxford Union he chaperoned Richard Nixon when he came to speak). Perhaps the Tories were led by the wrong May?
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842

Pulpstar said:

Pro_Rata said:

philiph said:

But will GO?
    I hope so.

Manchester is a much better venue for hotels and security than the coastal towns.

They've alternated with Birmingham in recent years
    How come you aren't going though :o ?
  • Pulpstar said:

Pro_Rata said:

philiph said:

But will GO?
    I hope so.

Because Manchester is best placed for the huge security operation that is required. The location, GMEX, is very easy to seal off and there's the room for all the screening and security stuff. Also the main hotels are within the closed zone.

I've been to party conferences in Bournemouth, Brighton, Glasgow, and Birmingham and Manchester is by far the best venue. it is also the biggest media centre outside London.

Pro_Rata said:

philiph said:

But will GO?
    I hope so.

Big g on here always gives a spirited defence.
    Scott_P said:
    If she sees problems in her constituency then she needs to raise them with the council or with DCLG through the appropriate channels. In the time it took her to write that bile-filled letter of hate, she could have written at least three more productive ones.
  • Pulpstar said:

Prior to Mrs May becoming leader, I used to get all the best passes and behind the scenes access.

Now I'm persona non grata, and I only get pleb seats.

Next week my Mum's having an operation, and I have to stay in Dore and be a good son.
    Scott_P said:
    I'll go to my rule of thumb and consider how such a person would likely react if an opponent had made the same argument. I doubt it would sit well, so I'm left cold by her excuse of passion, however sincerely it may be for a very real tragedy.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,695
    I fear Theresa is starting to look a bit like IDS in early October 2003...
  • Now, I have started, I just can't stop. My ideal long lunch menu:
    1. Pub - three pints, or equivalent, maximum.
    2. Restaurant - a glass of two of white wine to get started, with olives and a few thin slices of Iberico ham; then oysters; then very garlicky fish soup; then chorizo, egg and chips; then some kind of mousse or crème caramel; then cheese; all with appropriate wines - the filthier the better.
    3. Cigar place for a Montecristo No. 2 and two or three Macallans.
    4. Pub - Guinness, or whatever, until closing or death, whichever comes first.

Throw in the discussion, the laughs, the anecdotes, and that is what I call the Mother of All Lunches. I used to do these quite regularly when younger and based in London. What larks they were. Let is do this. How to organise?

Pulpstar said:

Prior to Mrs May becoming leader, I used to get all the best passes and behind the scenes access.

Next week my Mum's having an operation, and I have to stay in Dore and be a good son.
    Hope it goes well.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Pro_Rata said:

philiph said:

But will GO?
    I hope so.

That's the kind of inflammatory rhetoric that gets the Tories in trouble with the locals. Even some of the City centre is not Manchester, let alone Trafford! :)

Pulpstar said:

Pro_Rata said:

philiph said:

But will GO?
    I hope so.

Because Manchester is best placed for the huge security operation that is required. The location, GMEX, is very easy to seal off and there's the room for all the screening and security stuff. Also the main hotels are within the closed zone.

I've been to party conferences in Bournemouth, Brighton, Glasgow, and Birmingham and Manchester is by far the best venue. it is also the biggest media centre outside London.
    Blackpool was always good value though, you could stay in a cheap b and b by the sea for less than half the price of a Manchester hotel room
  • philiph said:

Pulpstar said:

Hope it goes well.
    Cheers.
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Pro_Rata said:

philiph said:

But will GO?
    I hope so.

That's the kind of inflammatory rhetoric that gets the Tories in trouble with the locals. Even some of the City centre is not Manchester, let alone Trafford! :)
    It is in Greater Manchester and the home of Manchester's most famous brand, Manchester United even if City fans are parochial
  • FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486

Pulpstar said:

Too many "Are we entering the twilight of the leadership of Theresa?" threads?
  • kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    I'll go to my rule of thumb and consider how such a person would likely react if an opponent had made the same argument. I doubt it would sit well, so I'm left cold by her excuse of passion, however sincerely it may be for a very real tragedy.
    I think the use of "look at the real issues" sent off sirens. Didn't read after that.

It's shorthand for RWWWRRRRAAAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGHHH

and a vein going off.
  • HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Pro_Rata said:

philiph said:

But will GO?
    I hope so.

It is in Greater Manchester and the home of Manchester's most famous brand, Manchester United even if City fans are parochial
    Technically it is in Stretford, where the Tories poll sub 30%.
    GIN1138 said:

Except that she is in office. That is the critical difference. In office when, somewhat unusually, our government is doing something important. It's why she is still there.
  • Freggles said:

Pulpstar said:

Too many "Are we entering the twilight of the leadership of Theresa?" threads?
    Yah.

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    I think the use of "look at the real issues" sent off sirens. Didn't read after that.

It's shorthand for RWWWRRRRAAAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGHHH

and a vein going off.
    Quite often. 'Why are people talking about the crappy thing I did when x is more important?'

Which it usually is, though not an excuse to be crappy.

Pulpstar said:

She may be vindictive but she is consistent.

Pulpstar said:

Pro_Rata said:

philiph said:

But will GO?
    I hope so.

That’s a fair point. There’s the GMEX and three or four hotels in an easily closed ‘block’ that can be sealed without bringing the whole city to a standstill. There’s not an awful lot of places where that’s possible.
  • DavidL said:

GIN1138 said:

Except that she is in office. That is the critical difference. In office when, somewhat unusually, our government is doing something important. It's why she is still there.
    IDS is one up on TMay. He was never allowed to lose an election.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,695
    DavidL said:

GIN1138 said:

Perhaps she's going to turn over a new leaf and stop ******* up...
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,959
    edited September 2017
    Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Pro_Rata said:

philiph said:

But will GO?
    I hope so.

That’s a fair point. There’s the GMEX and three or four hotels in an easily closed ‘block’ that can be sealed without bringing the whole city to a standstill. There’s not an awful lot of places where that’s possible.
    You've got three out of four of Manchester's finest hotels in that block, plus the Great Northern.

DavidL said:

GIN1138 said:

IDS is one up on TMay. He was never allowed to lose an election.
    Or do anything else of any importance. Just as well when you consider his record for implementation of Universal Credit.
  • Now, I have started, I just can't stop. My ideal long lunch menu:
    2. Restaurant - a glass of two of white wine to get started, with olives and a few thin slices of Iberico ham; then oysters; then very garlicky fish soup; then chorizo, egg and chips; then some kind of mousse or crème caramel; then cheese; all with appropriate wines - the filthier the better.

Throw in the discussion, the laughs, the anecdotes, and that is what I call the Mother of All Lunches. I used to do these quite regularly when younger and based in London. What larks they were. Let is do this. How to organise?

:lol:

Not entirely convinced of the wisdom of throwing a couple of pints of Guinness in on top of that little lot!
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074

Now, I have started, I just can't stop. My ideal long lunch menu:

That sounds like a very male lunch. Will women be welcome?
    GIN1138 said:

DavidL said:

GIN1138 said:

Perhaps she's going to turn over a new leaf and stop ******* up...
    Nah. It is her function.
  • HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Pro_Rata said:

philiph said:

But will GO?
    I hope so.

Blackpool was always good value though, you could stay in a cheap b and b by the sea for less than half the price of a Manchester hotel room
    Blackpool suffered because of its awful transport links and was not in a good position when security became so important. It also does not have enough quality hotel rooms and restaurants to satisfy the huge needs of a modern conference
  • Mr. Eagles, hope your mother's operation goes well.
  • PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited September 2017
    http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/indexinvesting/article-4895990/New-political-ETF-invests-Republican-Party-backers.html

A similar proxy bet on UK politics (at least right now) is by buying/shorting BAE shares, I recon.

Any other highly political stocks?
  • surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    So Damien Green is also ex-BBC . BBC News have always been and still is full of Tories.
    DavidL said:

GIN1138 said:

In office but does she wield much power ?
    edited September 2017

1. Pub - pint or two
    2. Restaurant - glass or two of champagne, Bolly is fine, while standing around.
    2a. Restaurant - ice cold meursault (Michelot out of preference) with smoked salmon, brown bread, lemon. Then either - kidneys (pink), thin chips, an egg, with an '05 cru bourgeois, or perhaps a 2007 4th/5th growth. Or game, I'm fine with game, any of them grouse for preference - plus everything and also extra bread sauce and game chips. Then a savoury - angels on horseback, with the remainder of the wine, then bread and butter pudding and cream, with a 1995 Rieussec, then cheese with a '77 port, Fonseca perhaps. Then a brandy or two.
    3. Then collapse while watching the racing.

Or...prawn cocktail then fish and chips in the pub with Bolly throughout is also good.

Oh my days. Not done that for a while.

Edit: sorry *wakes up* were we talking about politics?
  • "a new generation of Tories will begin to understand why so many on the centre-right in the 1970s and 1980s were prepared to trade sovereignty as a hedge against Bennite economics."

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2017/09/the-tories-are-giving-jeremy-corbyn-a-clear-run-at-no-10/

The article also says the Tories must build homes urgently or lose.

There is a hell of a lot resting on Javid, and no sign whatsoever of action.
  • Manchester related news.

I'm developing a Mancunian accent.

I find that alarming.

Manchester related news.

I find that alarming.

hope the op goes well for your mother.
  • This is going to be an expensive lunch, if @TOPPING gets to choose the wines.

I think we should let Ms Cyclefree choose the venue.
  • TOPPING said:

1. Pub - pint or two
    2. Restaurant - glass or two of champagne, Bolly is fine, while standing around.
    2a. Restaurant - ice cold meursault (Michelot out of preference) with smoked salmon, brown bread, lemon. Then either - kidneys (pink), thin chips, an egg, with an '05 cru bourgeois, or perhaps a 2007 4th/5th growth. Or game, I'm fine with game, any of them grouse for preference - plus everything and also extra bread sauce and game chips. Then a savoury - angels on horseback, with the remainder of the wine, then bread and butter pudding and cream, with a 1995 Rieussec, then cheese with a '77 port, Fonseca perhaps. Then a brandy or two.

Or...prawn cocktail then fish and chips in the pub with Bolly throughout is also good.

Meanwhile at Chequers you could feast on chicken lasagne.
  • surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

Pulpstar said:

Pro_Rata said:

philiph said:

But will GO?
    I hope so.

Far more important, Manchester votes Labour. That is why Labour should not go to Blackpool or Bournemouth. They are not reliable. Soon, Eastbourne, Hastings.....

This is going to be an expensive lunch, if @TOPPING gets to choose the wines.

amortised over, oh I don't know, 15 years which is probably when I (and others?) last had a comparable blow out it's positively a steal...
  • Chlorinated chicken doesn't sound so bad now.

The largest supplier of chicken to UK supermarkets has been tampering with food safety records in moves that could dupe consumers into buying meat past its use-by date.

An investigation by the Guardian and ITV News recorded undercover footage of workers altering the slaughter date of poultry being processed at a 2 Sisters Food Group plant. The group produces a third of all poultry products eaten in the UK and supplies top grocers including Tesco, Sainsbury’s, Marks & Spencer, Aldi and Lidl.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/sep/28/uks-top-supplier-of-supermarket-chicken-fiddles-food-safety-dates?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
  • TOPPING said:

Manchester related news.

I find that alarming.

Cheers, it's a minor one, but one that restricts her mobility for a few weeks.
    Yorkcity said:

DavidL said:

GIN1138 said:

In office but does she wield much power ?
    No, which is why she can be tolerated, even in the short term. It is obvious she had to accept her Florence speech being rewritten for her. She cannot oppose a combination of Boris and Hammond.
  • TOPPING said:

amortised over, oh I don't know, 15 years which is probably when I (and others?) last had a comparable blow out it's positively a steal...
    Can good Muslim boys who don't drink alcohol attend this shindig?

TOPPING said:

Manchester related news.

I find that alarming.

Cheers, it's a minor one, but one that restricts her mobility for a few weeks.
    Good to hear it's not serious. The big challenge with ageing parents is to ensure that they don't fall over.
  • DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited September 2017

Chlorinated chicken doesn't sound so bad now.

The largest supplier of chicken to UK supermarkets has been tampering with food safety records in moves that could dupe consumers into buying meat past its use-by date.

An investigation by the Guardian and ITV News recorded undercover footage of workers altering the slaughter date of poultry being processed at a 2 Sisters Food Group plant. The group produces a third of all poultry products eaten in the UK and supplies top grocers including Tesco, Sainsbury’s, Marks & Spencer, Aldi and Lidl.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/sep/28/uks-top-supplier-of-supermarket-chicken-fiddles-food-safety-dates?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

The report does not mention it but have there been cuts to environmental health officers and/or food safety inspectors? If so, which minister is in the firing line (possibly going back to Labour days)?
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited September 2017
    Pong said:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/indexinvesting/article-4895990/New-political-ETF-invests-Republican-Party-backers.html

A similar proxy bet on UK politics (at least right now) is by buying/shorting BAE shares, I recon.

If you think Brexit will be a disaster, short any UK-consumer focused business, short UK housebuilders, or buy any international business quoted in London, or just buy an S&P500 ETF or even a world index ETF

If you think Corbyn might become PM, pretty much the same play except obviously even more emphasis on shorting utilities and housebuilders.

However, I personally wouldn't recommend any of the shorts at the moment because the timescales are too long and, even if the reasoning is correct in the medium term, you might lose your shirt in the short term. Better simply to invest in a diversified portfolio but outside the UK, which is a reasonable investment even if things don't turn out disastrously.
  • Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    edited September 2017
    There's a nice tribute to Mark Senior on Andrew Teale's by-election preview. I'm about to head over to Stretton to get out our vote...

http://britainelects.com/2017/09/27/previews-28-sep-2017/

TOPPING said:

Like all these things I rather think that it will remain in the imagination rather than take place but I could be wrong (in which case the answer is yes of course!).
  • TOPPING said:

Yes, people might need lifts.
  • Mr. Eagles, you sound reminiscent of the good Jewish boy on The Apprentice :p

Pong said:

If you think Brexit will be a disaster, short any UK-consumer focused business, short UK housebuilders, or buy any international business quoted in London, or just buy an S&P500 ETF or even a world index ETF

If you think Corbyn might become PM, pretty much the same play except obviously even more emphasis on shorting utilities and housebuilders.

However, I personally wouldn't recommend any of the shorts at the moment because the timescales are too long and, even if the reasoning is correct in the medium term, you might lose your shirt in the short term. Better simply to invest in a diversified portfolio but outside the UK, which is a reasonable investment even if things don't turn out disastrously.
    And hedges the currency risk, which is surely the largest short term consideration.
  • DavidL said:

Pong said:

And hedges the currency risk, which is surely the largest short term consideration.
    Yep, exactly.
  • RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    HYUFD said:

Pro_Rata said:

philiph said:

But will GO?
    I hope so.

Philip May? (Have a lot of time for him he was regularly making calls from CCHQ throughout the campaign, very polite and happy to give selfies and no airs, intelligent and had a successful City career, he and Theresa were introduced by the late Benazir Bhutto and in his time at the Oxford Union he chaperoned Richard Nixon when he came to speak). Perhaps the Tories were led by the wrong May?
    It would be pleasing to think that Labour picked the wrong Miliband and the Tories picked the wrong May.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited September 2017

TOPPING said:

Nobody invite Ben Stokes though....

Oh god....

Ben Stokes sparks outrage after a shocking Snapchat video emerges of him mocking Katie Price's disabled son

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4929800/Shocking-footage-shows-Ben-Stokes-foul-mouthed-outburst.html
  • JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    TOPPING said:

1. Pub - pint or two

I probably understood about a third of that. I guess that most of the gibberish words mean some sort of alcohol. I dare not imagine what might have had a "4th/5th growth". Game chips? Potato? Anyway. Angels?? On Horseback? Not literally I hope. I don't mind coming to see what it all means, as long as someone else is paying. The whole thing could be sponsored by SeanT perhaps as part of his, er, job. Or something.

Which reminds me of Dr Kennedy, as played by Frederick Treves: "Ah, Mrs Rowe, we' thought we'd have some tea, some cakes, or hot buttered toast, or something." The housekeeper Mrs Rowe was not credited in that episode,, but has always been my favourite character.

This discussion has been closed.