Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Review : October 5th 2017

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited October 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Review : October 5th 2017

Mash Barn on Adur (UKIP defence) Result: Labour 490 (49% +25% on last time), Conservative 384 (39% +17% on last time), Liberal Democrat 89 (9% -14% on last time), Green Party 31 (3%, no candidate last time) (No UKIP candidate this time -41%) Labour GAIN from UKIP with a majority of 106 (10%) on a swing of 4% from Conservative to Labour

Read the full story here

Comments

• kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    UKIP's demise still giving a boost to everyone I see.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    Mash Barn, pretty solid name - what about this barn was so significant it apparently perfectly personifies the entire ward?
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 15,544
    kle4 said:

Indeed. Although there seem to be more net* UKIP votes going to Labour than the Conservatives, which certainly wasn't Theresa May's plan when she embraced her inner Kipper last year.

* There could be switches Con -> Lab as well as UKIP -> Con and UKIP -> Lab
  • Quiet! All of you!

"Alien" is on Film4 right now...
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,231

Quiet! All of you!

If you look at the spacesuits you'll see they're wearing cricket pads on their legs
  • rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    FPT:
    kle4 said:

PAW said:

Labour MP Conor McGinn demands rights of Irish in Britain be enshrined in law after Brexit - just say no.

Don't the Irish already have greater rights in Britain than most? They can stand for parliament for one thing which otherwise is restricted to Brits or commonwealth citizens. What rights in particular does he have in mind?
    That is correct. Under the Ireland Act 1949: "the Republic of Ireland is not a foreign country for the purposes of any law in force in any part of the United Kingdom or in any colony [...] and references in any Act of Parliament, other enactment or instrument whatsoever, whether passed or made before or after the passing of this Act, to foreigners, aliens, foreign countries, and foreign or foreign-built ships or aircraft shall be construed accordingly."

So yes, I agree there's really nothing more that can be given to Irish people living in the UK.
  • brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    edited October 2017
    rpjs said:

FPT:

kle4 said:

PAW said:

Labour MP Conor McGinn demands rights of Irish in Britain be enshrined in law after Brexit - just say no.

Don't the Irish already have greater rights in Britain than most? They can stand for parliament for one thing which otherwise is restricted to Brits or commonwealth citizens. What rights in particular does he have in mind?
    That is correct. Under the Ireland Act 1949: "the Republic of Ireland is not a foreign country for the purposes of any law in force in any part of the United Kingdom or in any colony [...] and references in any Act of Parliament, other enactment or instrument whatsoever, whether passed or made before or after the passing of this Act, to foreigners, aliens, foreign countries, and foreign or foreign-built ships or aircraft shall be construed accordingly."

So yes, I agree there's really nothing more that can be given to Irish people living in the UK.
    Exactly - they have the same legal rights as British citizens in every sense. There is no need for any special arrangements - they already exist in laws and treaties put in place before we joined the EEC/EU.

And of course the rights are reciprocal for British citizens living in Ireland.

Perhaps the only issue of debate is whether the UK will still allow Irish citizens to use the Irish passport card photo card to enter the UK - as its technically only valid in the EEA and EU plus Switzerland. I have one and it's so much easier than carrying my bulky UK or Irish passport for European travel!
  • May should make Rory Stewart Foreign Secretary in an immediate reshuffle- Eton checkmate!
    brendan16 said:

rpjs said:

FPT:

kle4 said:

PAW said:

Exactly - they have the same legal rights as British citizens in every sense. There is no need for any special arrangements - they already exist in laws and treaties put in place before we joined the EU.

Perhaps the only issue of debate is whether the UK will still allow Irish citizens to use the Irish passport card photo card to enter the UK - as its technically only valid in the EEA and EU plus Switzerland. I have one and it's so much easier than carrying my bulky UK or Irish passport for European travel!
    Of course, the EU might put a spoke in things if they twig that Irish citizens get a better deal than other EU citizens - that is against the principles of the treaties and they might demand it end as part of the exit deal. Mind you, they've had 44 years to raise an objection and haven't...
    FF43 said:

kle4 said:

Indeed. Although there seem to be more net* UKIP votes going to Labour than the Conservatives, which certainly wasn't Theresa May's plan when she embraced her inner Kipper last year.

* There could be switches Con -> Lab as well as UKIP -> Con and UKIP -> Lab
    I expect a lot of the UKIP vote which went Tory is starting to get a bit disillusioned with May and her revised approach to Brexit. They voted for change - May is just more of the same it seems.
    brendan16 said:

rpjs said:

FPT:

kle4 said:

PAW said:

Exactly - they have the same legal rights as British citizens in every sense. There is no need for any special arrangements - they already exist in laws and treaties put in place before we joined the EEC/EU.

The UK doesn't require any sort of ID for entry from the Republic. The RoI does require ID for travel by air from the UK though.

Quiet! All of you!

Whilst it is not true that the cast didn't know that something was going to happen in the chestburting scene (since Hurt was plainly set up with a prosthetic torso), it s true that they didn't know exactly what was going to happen. So that bit where Veronica Cartwright gets splashed with blood and screams is a real reaction.
    edited October 2017
    rpjs said:

brendan16 said:

rpjs said:

FPT:

kle4 said:

PAW said:

The UK doesn't require any sort of ID for entry from the Republic. The RoI does require ID for travel by air from the UK though.
    I was more referencing Irish citizens coming home to the UK from the continent rather than travel to and from Ireland. There are arguably more Irish citizens resident in the UK than in the Republic - even if many of those with citizenship by descent have never obtained an Irish passport.

At present they can use the Irish passport card to travel from the UK to Spain and back - will they be able to use their driving licence size passport card post Brexit or need their full passport book? A minor issue for May and Verdakhar to address!

As you say Irish airports do of course require everyone to show a passport ID on arrival - even at tiny airports like Kerry where the only daily international flights are to the UK. Last time I arrived at Dublin from Gatwick I ended up queueing at passport control with people arriving from the US! So much for the common travel area!
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    Mash barn :D !
    Thank you all for your dental suggestions, which were:

@Dura_Ace: Ireland, possibly Israel, defo not Russia
    @OchEye said: Czech Republic
    @Charles: Israel
    @old_labour, (pace RodCrosby): Slovakia http://www.dentalholiday.co.uk/
    @NickPalmer: Hungary
    @Ishmael_Z: Goa http://www.drhubertgomes.com/pricelist.htm
    @OldKingCole: Thailand

As a rough rule of thumb, Central/eastern Europe is 40% of UK costs, but South/South East Asia is 20%.

This represents a saving of several thousands of pounds and was well worth the effort. Thank you all for your suggestions.
    brendan16 said:

rpjs said:

brendan16 said:

rpjs said:

FPT:

kle4 said:

PAW said:

I was more referencing Irish citizens coming home to the UK from the continent rather than travel to and from Ireland. There are arguably more Irish citizens resident in the UK than in the Republic - even if many of those with citizenship by descent have never obtained an Irish passport.

At present they can use the Irish passport card to travel from the UK to Spain and back - will they be able to use their driving licence size passport card post Brexit or need their full passport book? A minor issue for May and Verdakhar to address!

As you say Irish airports do of course require everyone to show a passport ID on arrival - even at tiny airports like Kerry where the only daily international flights are to the UK. Last time I arrived at Dublin from Gatwick I ended up queueing at passport control with people arriving from the US! So much for the common travel area!
    The CTA is a rather odd beast. Legally, UK and Irish citizens not born in those countries need a passport to cross the Irish border!
  • In all cases, I would always look for a GCR accredited clinic when looking at dental clinics abroad, as this would ensure that the standards of the clinic are the same or above international standards. You can check out the whole list of accredited clinics on GCR.org
    (this would apply in the case of other medical issues as well and not only dental)
This discussion has been closed.