Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tonight’s Brexit related news

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited November 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tonight’s Brexit related news

NEW: Electoral Commission launches fresh inquiry into whether Vote Leave, Darren Grimes & Veterans for Britain broke campaign rules in EU ref.

Read the full story here

Comments

• IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080
    edited November 2017
    First?

Once we get past the inevitable tabloid hysteria, the question re. the €40bn or whatever is what we eventually get for it.
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @estwebber: Anna Soubry says she warned that Article 50 shouldn't be triggered until Germany had a new govt in place and she was right
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    Scott_P said:
    I really hope not. Why should EU citizens have more rights than UK ones?
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,559
    Scott_P said:

@estwebber: Anna Soubry says she warned that Article 50 shouldn't be triggered until Germany had a new govt in place and she was right

what about all the thngs she got wrong ?
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Scott_P said:

Becoming a Tory MP?
    edited November 2017
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    Eh? Isn't that the very essence of Brexit? A Frenchmen will be able to travel and work more freely than a Brit.
    Jonathan said:

Scott_P said:

Becoming a Tory MP?
    yup

she could have stayed in the LDs and ranted from the sidelines
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    It comes down to power and influence, which the rest of the EU will have more than us. In exactly the same way as getting a trade agreement with the US generally involves signing up to processes that heavily favour the US.
    Jonathan said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    Eh? Isn't that the very essence of Brexit?
    In the UK I mean.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,765
    FPT I can imagine the kind of reaction we'd get here if anyone proposed German and Scandinavian church taxes.
    IanB2 said:

First?

Once we get past the inevitable tabloid hysteria, the question re. the €40bn or whatever is what we eventually get for it.

I want us to pay what we owe. There will be money owed on leaving the EU, as liabilities exceed assets. That doesn't mean paying whatever is demanded.
    Makes you wonder why an even number of delegates were deciding things!
    Sean_F said:

FPT I can imagine the kind of reaction we'd get here if anyone proposed German and Scandinavian church taxes.

IanB2 said:

First?

I want us to pay what we owe. There will be money owed on leaving the EU, as liabilities exceed assets. That doesn't mean paying whatever is demanded.
    If only the real world was as tidy as your mind.
  • Is there another source/more details on the Peston ECJ claim? It’s vaguely worded and could cover a multitude of sins whole range of options.
  • RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    Because of all those Home Office screw ups, EU citizens need extra protections.

One of the most prominent Brexiteers in this country moans about Jewish influence.

Join the dots, clearly the government agrees with the EU.
  • Is there another source/more details on the Peston ECJ claim? It’s vaguely worded and could cover a multitude of sins whole range of options.

It would surely apply only to the transistion period
    RobD said:

You can get into that situation with an odd number, if someone abstains or is absent.

I wonder who is the official tosser of the EU?
  • foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    We can even it up easily. Give the ECJ jurisdiction over UK citizens too :)
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,393
    I sense a Kipper revival is in the offing...
    You can feel that control flooding back today.
    IanB2 said:

Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

First?

What do you consider that we should pay?
    IanB2 said:

RobD said:

You can get into that situation with an odd number, if someone abstains or is absent.

26 votes, 27 EU countries?

RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    Because of all those Home Office screw ups, EU citizens need extra protections.

U.
    More than citizens of any other country?
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,957
    edited November 2017
    Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

First?

£350 million per week for every week we were a member of the EC/EU.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

It is ironic that our vote is replaced by a coin toss
    I bet those French and Dutch are really regretting that control they lost back to Britain today.
    I calculate that that at £770 bn.

Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

First?

behave or Ill set the bus on you
  • FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Jonathan said:

Yes, it's all a bit - wait - what's that?

It's the GERMAN CAR MANUFACTURERS KLAXON!!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42049565

Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

First?

Reality replacement bus service.
  • Freggles said:

Jonathan said:

So the German CBI wants to give us the deal Germany should have given Cameron.

That horse. Has. Bolted.
    Jonathan said:

I bet those French and Dutch are really regretting that control they lost back to Britain today.

personally I reckon France is, theyre screwed, forever Germany's minion
    Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

First?

An amount that is justified by the value of what we get in return within the overall deal. And the lowest that will secure the deal we need, as with any other negotiation.

Jonathan said:

personally I reckon France is, theyre screwed, forever Germany's minion
    If true, that bodes not at all well for us.
  • justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    FPT
    TSE said :
    'I did my A Levels 20/21 years ago. '

Glad to hear you managed a grade A at A Level History! However, even in the mid-1990s A levels were a good deal easier - in terms of achieving a particular grade - than back in the 1960s & 1970s. The switch to Absolute Marking from Relative Marking occurred in circa 1988 , and,thereafter, A level - and GCSE - grades shot up. I recall that cack in the early 1970s 30% of pupils failed to obtain even the lowest pass grade - ie an E grade . Nowadays more than 95% manage that - despite the fact that suck exams are no longer restricted to the most academic pupils.
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,911
    IanB2 said:

First?

If the answer to that is continuing ECJ interference in the laws of this country, then the answer to that is - go whistle.
    Jonathan said:

Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

First?

of course

loads of remainers have blamed the bus instead of their own shit performance in the referendum, but if it keeps you happy.....

Jonathan said:

Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

First?

of course

loads of remainers have blamed the bus instead of their own shit performance in the referendum, but if it keeps you happy.....
    The referendum campaign was a load of bollocks all round. Everyone came out diminished.
  • StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

First?

I think we should offer way, way more than they ask for. That'll wrong-foot them
  • MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,281
    Documentary on Lab GE 2017 campaign on BBC2 at 9pm.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,787

Jonathan said:

Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

First?

of course

Interestingly the Brexiteers seem most keen to apportion blame for the referendum result. Perhaps because they sense that winning will be the end of them.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,393
    justin124 said:

FPT
    TSE said :
    'I did my A Levels 20/21 years ago. '

Glad to hear you managed a grade A at A Level History! However, even in the mid-1990s A levels were a good deal easier - in terms of achieving a particular grade - than back in the 1960s & 1970s. The switch to Absolute Marking from Relative Marking occurred in circa 1988 , and,thereafter, A level - and GCSE - grades shot up. I recall that cack in the early 1970s 30% of pupils failed to obtain even the lowest pass grade - ie an E grade . Nowadays more than 95% manage that - despite the fact that suck exams are no longer restricted to the most academic pupils.

"Suck exams" - *** insert smutty joke here ***
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

First?

of course

The referendum campaign was a load of bollocks all round. Everyone came out diminished.
    yup

which makes the whole PB your lies were bigger than our lies totally pointless

none of the parties effectively addressed the issues

Freggles said:

Jonathan said:

That horse. Has. Bolted.
    21 months too late. At the time, Cameron was told to get lost.

Jonathan said:

Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

First?

of course

Interestingly the Brexiteers seem most keen to apportion blame for the referendum result. Perhaps because they sense that winning will be the end of them.
    err if they won, why would they keep campaigning ?
  • eek said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

Nope.

There's 28 EU members at the moment, including us, we were excluded from this vote, leaving 27 voters, so someone formally abstained.
    Sean_F said:

Freggles said:

Jonathan said:

That horse. Has. Bolted.
    the BDI is simply looking at whats coming and realising Germany will feel pain from Brexit. Given how injured Merkel is I can see economic matters getting more priority over politics in coming months.
  • Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

First?

of course

yup

When do they ever ?

All we ever get is 'my magic money tree is bigger than yours'.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842

eek said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

Nope.

There's 28 EU members at the moment, including us, we were excluded from this vote, leaving 27 voters, so someone formally abstained.
    Bratislava ?
  • RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    Ardent Brexiteer alert.
    February 17 2016, 12:01am,
    The Times

A leading Eurosceptic campaign group is planning a “criminal” attempt to get around the £7 million referendum spending limits, leaked emails suggest.

A leading figure in Vote Leave, one of the two groups battling for official recognition to run the campaign for Britain to leave the European Union, told colleagues that his organisation has found a way “to spend as much money as is necessary to win”.

He said that Vote Leave, which he helps to oversee, hoped to get around the spending ceiling by using a series of front organisations.

Steve Baker, the co-chairman of Conservatives for Britain, wrote in an email that Vote Leave wanted to get around the limit by using front organisations.

“It is open to the Vote Leave family to create separate legal entities, each of which could spend £700,000: Vote Leave will be able to spend as much money as is necessary to win the referendum,” he said in an email sent on Saturday afternoon.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/brexit-groups-plot-to-break-campaign-spending-limit-k86qwrc7w

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

First?

of course

yup

Yeah, we need to save space for the endless "was the election a triumph or disaster for May" debate.
    Scott_P said:

The Times

A leading Eurosceptic campaign group is planning a “criminal” attempt to get around the £7 million referendum spending limits, leaked emails suggest.

A leading figure in Vote Leave, one of the two groups battling for official recognition to run the campaign for Britain to leave the European Union, told colleagues that his organisation has found a way “to spend as much money as is necessary to win”.

He said that Vote Leave, which he helps to oversee, hoped to get around the spending ceiling by using a series of front organisations.

Steve Baker, the co-chairman of Conservatives for Britain, wrote in an email that Vote Leave wanted to get around the limit by using front organisations.

“It is open to the Vote Leave family to create separate legal entities, each of which could spend £700,000: Vote Leave will be able to spend as much money as is necessary to win the referendum,” he said in an email sent on Saturday afternoon.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/brexit-groups-plot-to-break-campaign-spending-limit-k86qwrc7w

£9m the government spent on a pro EU leaflet days before the purdah period.
  • Can anyone explain why for the last few weeks I've been seeing ' Big freeze imminent, snow on its way, Britain to be colder than Iceland, worst winter for decades ' headlines yet its above 10 deg C in the middle of the night ?
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    MikeL said:

Documentary on Lab GE 2017 campaign on BBC2 at 9pm.

I'd be particularly interested to know whether they really thought they were going to do badly right up to 10pm on polling day.
    Scott_P said:

The Times

They advertised it in a national newspaper and still got away with it? :p

Can anyone explain why for the last few weeks I've been seeing ' Big freeze imminent, snow on its way, Britain to be colder than Iceland, worst winter for decades ' headlines yet its above 10 deg C in the middle of the night ?

Brexit innit ?
    kyf_100 said:

days before the purdah period.

So the calendar is important

Steve Baker suggesting spending during the campaign

Can anyone explain why for the last few weeks I've been seeing ' Big freeze imminent, snow on its way, Britain to be colder than Iceland, worst winter for decades ' headlines yet its above 10 deg C in the middle of the night ?

Because it's autumn?
  • Sean_F said:

Freggles said:

Jonathan said:

That horse. Has. Bolted.
    To be fair Cameron asking for susidiarity on the paperclip directive, telling the Germans he would recommend a Remain vote in all circumstances and assuring them that Remain would win easily was not diplomacy on the Talleyrand / Metternich level.

Sean_F said:

Freggles said:

Jonathan said:

That horse. Has. Bolted.
    To be fair Cameron asking for susidiarity on the paperclip directive, telling the Germans he would recommend a Remain vote in all circumstances and assuring them that Remain would win easily was not diplomacy on the Talleyrand / Metternich level.
    he took the nation for idiots and they took hm for one back
  • PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited November 2017
    kyf_100 said:

Scott_P said:

The Times

Andy Street bought the conservatives the WM mayorality using the same spend-shitloads-on-advertising-immediately-before-the-campaign-spending-limits-kick-in method.
    Scott_P said:

kyf_100 said:

days before the purdah period.

So the calendar is important

Steve Baker suggesting spending during the campaign
    Yes, thank you, I can read.

Just because one is within the letter of the law and the other isn't, doesn't mean that the £9m spent days before the campaign began, using the official branding of Her Majesty's Government, wasn't deeply unfair.

Remain did all they could to tie the leave campaign's hands behind their backs before the campaign even began.

The result? 52/48 :)

Sean_F said:

Freggles said:

Jonathan said:

That horse. Has. Bolted.
    You seem to think that had Cameron convinced them he would have advocated Leave that it would have strengthened his hand. It wouldn't, because it would only have been a threat to place the UK in the position it now finds itself in, in which we are a supplicant to the EU27.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,958
    Freggles said:

Jonathan said:

"We want to launch a Battle for Britain with this initiative...."

How did the last one work out, lads?
  • Sean_F said:

Freggles said:

Jonathan said:

That horse. Has. Bolted.
    You seem to think that had Cameron convinced them he would have advocated Leave that it would have strengthened his hand. It wouldn't, because it would only have been a threat to place the UK in the position it now finds itself in, in which we are a supplicant to the EU27.
    The UK has been a supplicant to the EU since 1973.

Though their were minor victories along the way - when British governments remembered they could say No and keep saying No until they got what they wanted.
    edited November 2017
    Pong said:

kyf_100 said:

Scott_P said:

The Times

Andy Street bought the conservatives the WM mayorality using the same spend-shitloads-on-advertising-immediately-before-the-campaign-spending-limits-kick-in method.
    Yes, there were also serious concerns about the Conservatives paying to advertise in local newspapers in marginal constituencies using only national branding, thus circumventing spending laws, at GE2017.

As I said to Scott'n'Paste, just because something is within the letter of the law, doesn't mean it's fair.
    Scott_P said:
    If the EU hold out until Jan, it will be £80 billion...
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    BBC: Britain to lose seat on International Court of Justice for the first time since it was set up in 1946.
    Bundestagswahl, wie eine Forsa-Umfrage für RTL und n-tv am Montag ergab. Die FDP würde demnach mit 10 Prozent gegenüber 10,7 bei der Bundestagswahl verlieren. Auch CDU/CSU kämen nur auf 31 Prozent (bei der Wahl: 32,9). Die SPD würde 21 Prozent erreichen (20,5). Das größte Plus erzielten die Grünen (12 Prozent, Wahl: 8,9). Die Linke käme auf 9 Prozent (9,2) und die AfD auf 12 Prozent (12,6).

first cut opinion poll from Germany ( brackets GE % )

FDP 10 (10,7 )
    CDU 31 (32,9)
    SPD 21 (20,5 )
    Greens 12 (8.9 )
    Linke 9 (9.2 )
    AfD 12 (12.6)

so CDU down and greens up, rest MoE

still doesnt give a government
    AndyJS said:

BBC: Britain to lose seat on International Court of Justice for the first time since it was set up in 1946.

Another Brexit dividend...

Sean_F said:

Freggles said:

Jonathan said:

That horse. Has. Bolted.
    because the assume the position stratgey worked out so well for him

Sells papers
    Scott_P said:

AndyJS said:

Was that really Brexit related? Sounds as though India's candidate had the backing of a big majority in the general assembly.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842

Bundestagswahl, wie eine Forsa-Umfrage für RTL und n-tv am Montag ergab. Die FDP würde demnach mit 10 Prozent gegenüber 10,7 bei der Bundestagswahl verlieren. Auch CDU/CSU kämen nur auf 31 Prozent (bei der Wahl: 32,9). Die SPD würde 21 Prozent erreichen (20,5). Das größte Plus erzielten die Grünen (12 Prozent, Wahl: 8,9). Die Linke käme auf 9 Prozent (9,2) und die AfD auf 12 Prozent (12,6).

FDP 10 (10,7 )
    CDU 31 (32,9)
    SPD 21 (20,5 )
    Greens 12 (8.9 )
    Linke 9 (9.2 )
    AfD 12 (12.6)

CDU- FDP with supply from AfD looks the ticket to me. But I assume Merkel won't go for that..
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,571
    Easy on the Schadenfreude - we lost it first....
    Pulpstar said:

FDP 10 (10,7 )
    CDU 31 (32,9)
    SPD 21 (20,5 )
    Greens 12 (8.9 )
    Linke 9 (9.2 )
    AfD 12 (12.6)

CDU- FDP with supply from AfD looks the ticket to me. But I assume Merkel won't go for that..
    only with her head on a pike on the Brandenburg Gate
  • Bundestagswahl, wie eine Forsa-Umfrage für RTL und n-tv am Montag ergab. Die FDP würde demnach mit 10 Prozent gegenüber 10,7 bei der Bundestagswahl verlieren. Auch CDU/CSU kämen nur auf 31 Prozent (bei der Wahl: 32,9). Die SPD würde 21 Prozent erreichen (20,5). Das größte Plus erzielten die Grünen (12 Prozent, Wahl: 8,9). Die Linke käme auf 9 Prozent (9,2) und die AfD auf 12 Prozent (12,6).

FDP 10 (10,7 )
    CDU 31 (32,9)
    SPD 21 (20,5 )
    Greens 12 (8.9 )
    Linke 9 (9.2 )
    AfD 12 (12.6)

Merkel should retire and give someone a go.

She's clearly years past her best.
    edited November 2017
    Jonathan said:

Sells papers
    Cold weather in winter shock!

Express usually does it about now.
  • RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    Ardent Brexiteer alert.
    Um No. Just someone who believes in everyone being equal before the law. Obviously a concept that is alien to you - along with basic principles of democracy from what I have seen.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    'Labour - The Summer that Changed everything' now on BBC2, following a number of Labour MPs through the general election campaign this year.

FDP 10 (10,7 )
    CDU 31 (32,9)
    SPD 21 (20,5 )
    Greens 12 (8.9 )
    Linke 9 (9.2 )
    AfD 12 (12.6)

Merkel should retire and give someone a go.

She's clearly years past her best.
    unfortunately she has left no successor, it will be like when Thatcher or Blair left, an army of placemen with no ideas wondering why nobody is telling them what to do
    RobD said:

Was that really Brexit related? Sounds as though India's candidate had the backing of a big majority in the general assembly.

https://twitter.com/samcoatestimes/status/932716117122060289

Sean_F said:

Freggles said:

Jonathan said:

That horse. Has. Bolted.
    His mistake was not realising his real negotiation was with the fanatics in his own party. He should have just held the referendum on the status quo as was.
    Scott_P said:

RobD said:

I'll take that as a no then.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164
    HYUFD said:

'Labour - The Summer that Changed everything' now on BBC2, following a number of Labour MPs through the general election campaign this year.

Lots of popcorn required!

RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    Ardent Brexiteer alert.
    Um No. Just someone who believes in everyone being equal before the law. Obviously a concept that is alien to you - along with basic principles of democracy from what I have seen.
    As a famous man once said... I love democracy. :smiley:

Sean_F said:

Freggles said:

Jonathan said:

That horse. Has. Bolted.
    His mistake was not realising his real negotiation was with the fanatics in his own party. He should have just held the referendum on the status quo as was.
    lol

it;s the way you casually call others fanatics that amuses
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

AndyJS said:

Was that really Brexit related?
    Everything is Brexit related if it is bad news.
    Scott_P said:

RobD said:

ROW 3 - 0 London
  • RobD said:

Scott_P said:

AndyJS said:

It seems being an Overseas Aid Superpower isn't bringing the promised rewards.

We'll be losing the Presidencies of FIFA and the ICC next.
This discussion has been closed.