Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Stop, Hammond Time

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited November 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Stop, Hammond Time

TELEGRAPH main story #tomorrowspaperstoday pic.twitter.com/lqkbGX0WUj

Read the full story here

Comments

• MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,921
    First, like Mrs May.
    Interesting to see Green next to Mrs May today. That's a good sign, right?
  • May does seem more confident
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    theresa rattled

May does seem more confident

She does. It's good news.
  • Mortimer said:

Interesting to see Green next to Mrs May today. That's a good sign, right?

Nope, it was Cabinet Office questions before PMQs, so he had to be there, and would have attracted more attention had he left.

As an aside I backed Green as next out of the cabinet this morning.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,758

May does seem more confident

Its just far too easy. Corbyn has gone backwards to his early efforts. Really, really poor.
    She's on fire today.

Corbyn doesn't seem to listen, or care about her responses. He can't seem to connect two issues at all, let alone cleverly or wittily.
  • One of Corbyn's poorer performances.
    Now we have the summary ignoring every answer he has had. Its pathetic.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    Corbyn just not as good as he has been.

Shrill, ineffective.
  • Mortimer said:

She's on fire today.

Corbyn doesn't seem to listen, or care about her responses. He can't seem to connect two issues at all, let alone cleverly or wittily.

He will do the same in response to Hammond.

He is far too shouty
  • One of Corbyn's poorer performances.

Doesn't bode well for his performance in responding to the budget in the next 90 mins or so.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074
    What is it with May? You'd have thought that the one thing any aspiring PM would have learnt from recent British politics is that PMs and Chancellors have to have a good relationship, that one must not undermine the other, that arguments should be kept private.

And yet, ever since she chose him, May has allowed Hammond to be undermined.

The woman really is totally inept.

Anyway off for a bit. Need to earn some money to pay for some expensive electrical work in my kitchen.

Later......
    Bingo there's fit for the future again.
  • TonyETonyE Posts: 938
    Now we know why Corbyn hasn't been going with Brexit. He doesn't really understand the subject.
  • TM to Corbyn 'Blast from the past' - touche
    I might not be as optimistic as Tezza but I think I want a PM who is.
    fail by jezza, shouty peroration not convincing at all.
  • TonyE said:

Now we know why Corbyn hasn't been going with Brexit. He doesn't really understand the subject.

Is that cos he might be a bit thick?
  • FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    I haven't seen PMQs in ages and I'm no fan on May but she looks confident. Even cocksure.

Must be the 'nothing to lose' mentality.
    Fenster said:

I haven't seen PMQs in ages and I'm no fan on May but she looks confident. Even cocksure.

Likewise. Don't normally bother but here for the budget. She is looking quite robust. If only she would learn to work with her Chancellor...
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    U can’t touch @TSE’s headlines!
  • DavidL said:

Fenster said:

Likewise. Don't normally bother but here for the budget. She is looking quite robust. If only she would learn to work with her Chancellor...
    Or replace him
  • Is Philip Hammond too legit to quit?
    SNP making something out of nothing - 7% of those staff were British, and apparently none of them paid UK tax (they exist in the EU tax system outside domestic taxation).

Also, the 7% might well find themselves a role in the UK Medicines Agency , which will no doubt expand.

One of Corbyn's poorer performances.

Doesn't bode well for his performance in responding to the budget in the next 90 mins or so.
    Last year he didn’t even try and pretend he’d read the speech, just went with a 20 minute off the hoof speech against the evils of capitalism and the terrible Tories.
  • Is Sourby sat right next to Bernard Jenkins on back row?

The small talk must be somewhat strained...

TonyE said:

Is that cos he might be a bit thick?
    Because in reality, he doesn't care that much about it, as Nick Palmer has consistently told us.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited November 2017
    Didn't Mc Hammer blow all his fortune and end up bankrupt? Hopefully UK version doesn't do the same to the UK economy!
  • Sandpit said:

Last year he didn’t even try and pretend he’d read the speech, just went with a 20 minute off the hoof speech against the evils of capitalism and the terrible Tories.
    Will be same no doubt. Lots of shouting about foodbanks and UC rental arrears.

DavidL said:

Fenster said:

Or replace him
    Yes, one or the other. There is going to be some good news on housing in the budget and she can't resist having a patsy question set up so she can steal her own Chancellor's thunder. Teamwork it ain't.

Is Philip Hammond too legit to quit?

Very good :D
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,557

Speaks to his ability - or lack of it - to multitask.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited November 2017

Sandpit said:

Will be same no doubt. Lots of shouting about foodbanks and UC rental arrears.
    Got to be Paradise papers, Queenie, BrightHouse, tax dodging (even though she doesn't)...
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,841
    edited November 2017
    Take your time Phil

https://twitter.com/patrick_kidd/status/933307233911427072

I've bought at a pound a minute on 54.
    My local MP pointing out what a chronically poor connection I get to broadband. Thanks for that.
  • Is Philip Hammond too legit to quit?

Chapeau
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    DavidL said:

Fenster said:

Hammond is completely bereft of imagination. I don't blame her for wanting rid of him. The problem arises when you try and replace him. There is no obvious successor.
    MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

Fenster said:

Hammond is completely bereft of imagination. I don't blame her for wanting rid of him. The problem arises when you try and replace him. There is no obvious successor.
    Gove. Obvious. If it means that, say Fox, gets the boot to keep some sort of balance that would just be a bonus.
  • DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

Fenster said:

Gove. Obvious. If it means that, say Fox, gets the boot to keep some sort of balance that would just be a bonus.
    Gove can't stop plotting, even Leavers are getting pissed off at him.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,557
    MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

Fenster said:

So instead undermine someone you think is struggling, without any plan to replace him ?

Don't think the PM is much cop at strategy...
    There is not much point backbenchers asking shouty angry questions about the big picture, because the PM can always wriggle out if there is no chance of a follow up q. Much better all round to ask specific question about a constituent.
  • SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Slam dunk for tmay over female black rod.

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

Fenster said:

Gove can't stop plotting, even Leavers are getting pissed off at him.
    Well give him enough to do.
  • DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

Fenster said:

The trouble with Gove is he would immediately start something horrendously radical like merging tax and NI, just as we are entering the worst of the Brexit clusterf***.
  • Pulpstar said:

Take your time Phil

https://twitter.com/patrick_kidd/status/933307233911427072

I've bought at a pound a minute on 54.

Bring back Gladstone.

https://twitter.com/PwC_NI/status/933311069275217920
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,760
    DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

Fenster said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

Fenster said:

Or John Redwood.
    DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

Fenster said:

Oh God, please not Gove.

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

Fenster said:

The trouble with Gove is he would immediately start something horrendously radical like merging tax and NI, just as we are entering the worst of the Brexit clusterf***.
    We have been promised that for more than a decade now. It requires someone like Gove to deliver it.
  • foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Spreadsheet Phil is the only one in the cabinet that I would vote for. He is the only one who takes the financial implications of current policies seriously.

I like him. Hostage to fortune for later...
  • On the idea of length of time, didn't we only have a Budget about six months ago by the current Chancellor? Surely it would be reasonable for this to be a shorter and simpler budget than normal?
  • On the idea of length of time, didn't we only have a Budget about six months ago by the current Chancellor? Surely it would be reasonable for this to be a shorter and simpler budget than normal?

:lol:
  • DavidL said:

We have been promised that for more than a decade now. It requires someone like Gove to deliver it.

Yes, but not just now, and certainly not as a minority government. You need a big majority to do stuff like that, and a booming economy.
    edited November 2017

What did she say, witty joke about the Labour party’s record on female leaders?

On the idea of length of time, didn't we only have a Budget about six months ago by the current Chancellor? Surely it would be reasonable for this to be a shorter and simpler budget than normal?

You can back sub 52 minutes if you like... You pays yer money and takes yer choice ^_^
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

Fenster said:

Gove won't deliver it though, he'll just piss everyone off and start plotting to become leader.
  • JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

Fenster said:

If Brexit hadn't happened, Osborne would probably have scheduled it for some point between 2015 and 2020. Too much else going on now and too little money to spare to be able to smooth over the short term inconsistencies merging the two would bring about.
  • DavidL said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

Fenster said:

Using a new multi-million pound IT system that will be up and running within six months no doubt.
  • I see Twitter Trump is back on the sports outrage this morning.

DavidL said:

Yes, but not just now, and certainly not as a minority government. You need a big majority to do stuff like that, and a booming economy.
    Then it may not happen. Which will do nothing to rebalance taxation between the young and the old.
    Can the rest of the MPs top asking these nonsense questions ?

It is Phil's big day !
  • FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    Completely disagree with May on drugs. Shows how sheltered she is.
  • Sandpit said:

Hope it is not another 650 years before labour elects a female leader
  • Pulpstar said:

Can the rest of the MPs top asking these nonsense questions ?

It is Phil's big day !

As usual Speaker is allowing this to drag on way beyond the 30 mins.
    edited November 2017

Sandpit said:

Hope it is not another 650 years before labour elects a female leader
    Ouch! That would have gone down rather well with her own back benches.

Spreadsheet Phil not up yet?
    And he's off !
  • Pulpstar said:

And he's off !

I've got the stopwatch out.
  • Pulpstar said:

On the idea of length of time, didn't we only have a Budget about six months ago by the current Chancellor? Surely it would be reasonable for this to be a shorter and simpler budget than normal?

You can back sub 52 minutes if you like... You pays yer money and takes yer choice ^_^
    I'm not saying I expect it, just what would be reasonable.

Sadly it seems to common at these events that politicians decide they have to Do Something on everything even if they Did Something just a few months ago.
    He must have about 20 words on a page.
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited November 2017
    Kerching. I think! 'Economy' as first word from Paddy's list.
  • 3 billion for Brexit
    £3bn for WTO. Tick
  • Brexit, kerching
    DavidL said:

£3bn for WTO. Tick

Good news, well done!
    Can't watch live. Hopefully I win on the bingo.
    Fenster said:

+1. The results of the war are in. We lost.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,760

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

Fenster said:

Using a new multi-million pound IT system that will be up and running within six months no doubt.
    Merging income tax and national insurance is one of those logical policies that would be politically disastrous.
    Bet that read quite well. Pity about the monotone delivery.
    DavidL said:

He must have about 20 words on a page.

Worrying how fast he is getting through those pages !
  • Fit for the future, kerching
    MaxPB said:

Can't watch live. Hopefully I win on the bingo.

Same here. I’m on ‘Venezuela’ as a joke.
    Can the oppo heckle a bit ?
  • That's pure comedy.
  • That's pure comedy.

Really funny
  • Fit for the future, kerching

Well played, sir. I wouldn't have gone for that one.
    DavidL said:

Fenster said:

+1. The results of the war are in. We lost.
    Yep. Drugs policy should either be like Amsterdam and Portugal, or like Bangkok and Dubai. A muddling middle way doesn’t work.
    ECONOMICKY!!!
  • Poor Shadsy, Hammond just said Economicky, at 16/1
    edited November 2017
    Did anyone get on that at 25/1???

Edit, 16/1
    A bit PM-y from Phil.
  • jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    lol loved that lozenge bit. Great to see May taking part in it with the prop lol.
  • foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Economicky!

Hammond is trying to ruin Shadsys Christmas.
    Mortimer said:

ECONOMICKY!!!

He must have read the list. Bad news for Ladbrooks Christmas party.
  • Has someone in Hammond's office opened a Ladbrokes account recently, I wonder?
    DavidL said:

Mortimer said:

ECONOMICKY!!!

He must have read the list. Bad news for Ladbrooks Christmas party.
    That would be hilarious.
    Oh man I wavered on that one. Balls.
  • The Deputy Speaker makes The Speaker seem brilliant
This discussion has been closed.