Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Some Royal wedding betting markets

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited November 2017 in General
imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Some Royal wedding betting markets

Read the full story here

Comments

• RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    First!
    and this royal engagement better not have delayed (again) the long-awaited AV thread....
  • FPT:

Pulpstar said:

So we need a FTA with the EU then ?

Best get to it.

Also why are we 'most favoured nation' ?
    Britain does have a FTA with Ireland. It dates from 1965 and was specifically mentioned and accommodated for in the 1972 Treaty of Accession.
    The agreement lapsed on the entry of both countries to the EEC in 1973.

http://www.worldhistory.biz/sundries/48212-anglo-irish-free-trade-agreement-of-1965.html
    No, I don't think it did. As Carlotta quoted, the Agreement was specifically referenced in the Accession Treaty in such a way that implied it not only remained in force after 1973 but overrode the normal accession arrangements.

My assumption - and this is only an assumption - is that the Agreement was never formally lapsed or abrogated as it simply became a dead letter with both states in the EEC/EC/EU. If so, it's still an active treaty and could be resurrected both in the discussions with the EU (and Dublin, as appropriate), and also with the WTO as justification for not imposing a border and customs on Ireland if no agreement is reached.

As we know, members of the customs union cannot have their own, independent FTAs.

Unless its already in the Treaties....
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,786
    FPT.

Pulpstar said:

Best get to it.

Britain does have a FTA with Ireland. It dates from 1965 and was specifically mentioned and accommodated for in the 1972 Treaty of Accession.

http://www.worldhistory.biz/sundries/48212-anglo-irish-free-trade-agreement-of-1965.html
    No, I don't think it did. As Carlotta quoted, the Agreement was specifically referenced in the Accession Treaty in such a way that implied it not only remained in force after 1973 but overrode the normal accession arrangements.

My assumption - and this is only an assumption - is that the Agreement was never formally lapsed or abrogated as it simply became a dead letter with both states in the EEC/EC/EU. If so, it's still an active treaty and could be resurrected both in the discussions with the EU (and Dublin, as appropriate), and also with the WTO as justification for not imposing a border and customs on Ireland if no agreement is reached.

As we know, members of the customs union cannot have their own, independent FTAs.
    I've seen it argued that as there was a previous agreement, Ireland should 'honour it'. I.e. leave the EU and recreate the status quo ante.
  • Croke Parks & The Duke of Connaught to give Mr Vardakar something else to get upset over......
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,766
    The Kardashians have to be worth a punt :smile:
  • So just so I am clear, this Royal Wedding, it is because of Brexit or despite Brexit?
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

So just so I am clear, this Royal Wedding, it is because of Brexit or despite Brexit?

Yes
  • I won't be backing the Obamas until I've worked out the protocols for inviting former but not current presidents.
    Boris Johnson is Foreign Secretary. I would have thought he would be highly likely to be invited to the Monarch's grandson's wedding.
    rcs1000 said:

Boris Johnson is Foreign Secretary. I would have thought he would be highly likely to be invited to the Monarch's grandson's wedding.

Will he still be by the date of the wedding?

I won't be backing the Obamas until I've worked out the protocols for inviting former but not current presidents.

If Obama is invited, I think they have to invite Trump too. Now, the question then becomes would Trump come to England for the wedding of the sixth in line to the throne?

I suspect not, as Trump only likes to be at events where he has top billing. But he's probably worth a punt at 50-1.
    @chrisshipitv: We have just been told Meghan’s ring made from 3 stones: one from Botswana (where couple holidayed recently) and 2 diamonds from his mother Diana’s personal collection
  • rcs1000 said:

I won't be backing the Obamas until I've worked out the protocols for inviting former but not current presidents.

If Obama is invited, I think they have to invite Trump too. Now, the question then becomes would Trump come to England for the wedding of the sixth in line to the throne?

I suspect not, as Trump only likes to be at events where he has top billing. But he's probably worth a punt at 50-1.
    Given what she said about Trump in the past, I am surprised he isn't on twitter denouncing her as a failed Hollywood actress....
  • Pulpstar said:

Best get to it.

That's the EU's policy but it's not that of the WTO. In any case, A50 allows the EU to make up the rules as it goes along. if they want to indulge an exceptional solution to an exceptional problem, they can.
  • rcs1000 said:

I'm hoping Garak turns up
  • david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,401
    edited November 2017
    On topic, the stand-out bet to me looks to be Boris to attend. There will probably be foreign royalty and statesmen present - certainly if it's a big scale do. I'd have thought it pretty likely that the Foreign Secretary would be in attendance in such circumstances (as well as being a major politician in his own right).

Sure, there are risks in that argument but I think it's much less than a 9/1 shot.

EDIT - I see rcs1000 has already made the point.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263
    Can't keep track of the royals. Do many people really care who this fellow Harry marries, apart from just nebulously thinking "That's nice"?
  • Days like today bring out my inner republican. Time to find a nuclear shelter to sit out the next few days' fawning.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263
    German update: CDU (who had dipped further after the election) and especially Greens seem to be benefiting from the current situation at the expense of AfD, though it's all very marginal: presumably a few voters are thinking "I'll vote for someone willing to sort out the mess".

http://www.wahlrecht.de/umfragen/
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Isn't this a slap in the face to the LGBT community?
  • Days like today bring out my inner republican. Time to find a nuclear shelter to sit out the next few days' fawning.

I like Prince Harry, and today's brought out my inner monarchist.

Can't keep track of the royals. Do many people really care who this fellow Harry marries, apart from just nebulously thinking "That's nice"?

Manufacturers of commemorative tat care deeply

You are always such a happy chappy these days, always bringing that little ray of sunshine.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,392
    In line with royal protocol, does Meghan have a sister with a nice arse?

You are always such a happy chappy these days, always bringing that little ray of sunshine.

That's what happens when you listen to Radiohead

Days like today bring out my inner republican. Time to find a nuclear shelter to sit out the next few days' fawning.

:o... an updated avatar in the offing?
  • Scott_P said:

Or put pineapple on pizza.

Monarchist racists care deeply about who Harry is marrying.
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,911

rcs1000 said:

Presumably he designed the wedding dress! :D

I have no objection to Prince Harry. It's the cringing deference to the news that irks me.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,957
    How can they not invite James Hewitt?

*innocent face*
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited November 2017
    Scott_P said:

To be fair, if one has an iPhone with iOS11, I can understand why they might be in a permanent bad mood.

I mean I absolutely love the constant freezing of apps and the fact it now doesn't realign itself properly if I rotate the screen.

Scott_P said:

To be fair, if one has an iPhone with iOS11, I can understand why they might be in a permanent bad mood.

I mean I absolutely love the constant freezing of apps and the fact it now doesn't realign itself properly if I rotate the screen.
    Are you holding it correctly? :smiley:

Days like today bring out my inner republican. Time to find a nuclear shelter to sit out the next few days' fawning.

I have no objection to Prince Harry. It's the cringing deference to the news that irks me.
    It gives us a day off Remoaning.

Just rejoice at that news....
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 15,543
    I have no idea about Harry and Meghan's friends and guest lists, but I am on firmer ground with rain. It rains an average of 8 days a month in the south East of England with little seasonal variation. So no value there.
  • anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,545
    FPT

HHemmelig said:

"Yeah, the US has definitely managed to round up and deport all the millions of illegals living there."

My wife comes originally from a country that supplies the UK with immigrants, some of them illegal. She, of course, is here legally. But, since she runs a shop in a London market, she frequently encounters people who are not. Most of these people are economic migrants. They have usually entered the country legally - on tourist visas or perhaps as domestic workers with foreign employers. They work cash in hand in small restaurants, as domestic cleaners or as labourers for small builders. In general their compatriots are sympathetic to the plight of those without papers, the last thing they would do is report them to the authorities, and a bounty system would not change these attitudes.

Occasionally illegals are reported by someone with a grudge - this sometimes results in UKBA taking action but it's rare for this to result in deportation, illegals will perhaps claim to be in a relationship with someone here legally or they will find other obstacles to throw in the way of the process. It's impossibly expensive to keep them in custody while their cases are resolved and the police have far more urgent things to do - they are not interested in pursuing people unless more serious crime is involved. So people just move on somewhere else. They live in houses rented by people who are here legally - as long as rents are paid landlords are unlikely to take an interest and if they do ask they will just be told that so and so is staying for a few weeks.

Work and accommodation is found through word of mouth networks which operate in London and, no doubt, other big cities. It's more difficult now that the rules have been tightened but by no means impossible. This kind of thing has been going on for decades and it won't be stopping any time soon.

It gives us a day off Remoaning.

Just rejoice at that news....
    Spare a thought for @JohnLoony. He will be in mourning today.
  • RobD said:

Yup, just changed my profile pic to celebrate this momentous day.

RobD said:

Oh you cheeky bugger.

RobD said:

Damn you...beat me to it!

FPT

HHemmelig said:

"Yeah, the US has definitely managed to round up and deport all the millions of illegals living there."

My wife comes originally from a country that supplies the UK with immigrants, some of them illegal. She, of course, is here legally. But, since she runs a shop in a London market, she frequently encounters people who are not. Most of these people are economic migrants. They have usually entered the country legally - on tourist visas or perhaps as domestic workers with foreign employers. They work cash in hand in small restaurants, as domestic cleaners or as labourers for small builders. In general their compatriots are sympathetic to the plight of those without papers, the last thing they would do is report them to the authorities, and a bounty system would not change these attitudes.

Occasionally illegals are reported by someone with a grudge - this sometimes results in UKBA taking action but it's rare for this to result in deportation, illegals will perhaps claim to be in a relationship with someone here legally or they will find other obstacles to throw in the way of the process. It's impossibly expensive to keep them in custody while their cases are resolved and the police have far more urgent things to do - they are not interested in pursuing people unless more serious crime is involved. So people just move on somewhere else. They live in houses rented by people who are here legally - as long as rents are paid landlords are unlikely to take an interest and if they do ask they will just be told that so and so is staying for a few weeks.

Work and accommodation is found through word of mouth networks which operate in London and, no doubt, other big cities. It's more difficult now that the rules have been tightened but by no means impossible. This kind of thing has been going on for decades and it won't be stopping any time soon.

Of course nothing will change if nothing is actually done about it.
  • RobD said:

RobD said:

Oh you cheeky bugger.
    I'm in mourning too, this means Meghan Markle and Patrick J. Adams are leaving Suits.

Mr. Meeks had his 50th recently. He still has the delights of turning into a Tory ahead of him.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited November 2017

RobD said:

RobD said:

Oh you cheeky bugger.
    I'm in mourning too, this means Meghan Markle and Patrick J. Adams are leaving Suits.
    How exactly can you have Suits without the foundation of the show?
  • Roger said:

I think it's fairly well established that Harry was unlikely to ever go down that road.
  • RobD said:

RobD said:

Oh you cheeky bugger.
    *Innocent Face*
  • RobD said:

RobD said:

Oh you cheeky bugger.
    They'll have Harvey and Donna, I love Donna
  • LennonLennon Posts: 1,721

RobD said:

RobD said:

Oh you cheeky bugger.
    Presuambly the same way you can have House of Cards without F.U.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,583
    The precedent set at Catherine's wedding of no riff-raff attending (I.e. Former Labour PMs) will that continue?

Mr. Meeks had his 50th recently. He still has the delights of turning into a Tory ahead of him.
    Like Gladstone, I am a living rebuttal to the idea that political ageing is inevitably left to right.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392

Much more than that? Not many, but that’s kind of the point - plenty are vaguely interested, and that’s more than most. (And it’s not just a case of it being forced on us - sure, that happens, but every time I walk past one of the celeb gossip rags Kate MIddleton appears to be on the cover, and has done for years, so presumably there are a lot of people for whom this sort of story, and other much more minor titbits, is just what they want. Whether that is good for monarchy long term when there are no interesting or attractive royals I don’t know, because someone else may not be able to get away with the Queen’s studious boringness.)
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950

fantastically misunderestimating the British people, there, Nick.

RobD said:

RobD said:

Oh you cheeky bugger.
    Good show, for the most part. If they are gone the show will have to as well, the whole premise is based around Mike’s journey and his relationships, even if others have their own stories too.
  • kle4 said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Oh you cheeky bugger.
    Good show, for the most part. If they are gone the show will have to as well, the whole premise is based around Mike’s journey and his relationships, even if others have their own stories too.
    There's a spin off featuring Jessica in the works.

I’ll have you know my deference is obsequious, not cringing. Crucial distinction.
  • kyf_100 said:

rcs1000 said:

Presumably he designed the wedding dress! :D
    Brilliant.

German update: CDU (who had dipped further after the election) and especially Greens seem to be benefiting from the current situation at the expense of AfD, though it's all very marginal: presumably a few voters are thinking "I'll vote for someone willing to sort out the mess".

Germans not a fan of instability regretting their contribution to it perhaps? How different from our own public - voting in ways designed to cause persistent instability.

kle4 said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Oh you cheeky bugger.
    There's a spin off featuring Jessica in the works.
    Yeah, but her leaving made sense and she left the city setting, no way all the others do that, and if in the same place I cannot see it working. This isn’t The Closer ‘spin off’ ing into Major Crimes (all they did was change the so called main character, but it was the same cast doing the same thing other than that)
  • Good afternoon, my fellow patriotic royalists.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,841
    How will the pregnancy market be checked ?

A royal gyno checkup before vows ?
    Lennon said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Oh you cheeky bugger.
    Presuambly the same way you can have House of Cards without F.U.
    Both seem like very stupid ideas, but we’ll see if they can pull it off I guess. Scrubs continuing without JD made more sense.
  • Trump at 50/1 might be value.

I'd say 8/1 might be more realistic. You might laugh, but this is a UK-US thing and including him might be the diplomatic thing to do <1 year from Brexit.
  • Pulpstar said:

I assume counting back from the birth. Mind you, if it's a wedding night baby...
  • Can't keep track of the royals. Do many people really care who this fellow Harry marries, apart from just nebulously thinking "That's nice"?

Yes.
  • Pulpstar said:

By working backwards from the birth date
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074

Harry is, as I have said before on here, hot. And now, sadly, unavailable.

It is nice to have a bit of good news. Weddings are always fun.

To be a tiny bit serious, though, there is some symbolic value in the fact that someone who is part African-American, part Irish is marrying into the Royal Family. It reflects the way society increasingly is these days. It shows an openness which is welcome. And the fact that Harry has been so critical of the racist abuse that his fiancé received is also a good symbol, much as his mother's willingness to touch Aids victims was, long before this became fashionable.

The general over-the-top wedding bollocks we will be subjected to is tiresome. But nice for Harry and for his family / friends that he has found someone he loves who seems lovely and intelligent and not simply a simpering clothes horse.

And if it gives those who are interested a bit of a cheer in gloomy days, what's the problem?

Better this than reading about middle aged men sweating over porn or leering at young employees.
    kle4 said:

Both seem like very stupid ideas, but we’ll see if they can pull it off I guess. Scrubs continuing without JD made more sense.

I'm thinking Community without Pierce. Or Troy. Or Shirley...
  • RobD said:

RobD said:

Oh you cheeky bugger.
    Empty suits.

Chill, Alastair. There is an "off" button on the radio/TV.

The nuclear bunker will be needed - along with all the dried and non-perishable food to be stored in there - in March 2019.

:)
  • stevefstevef Posts: 1,044
    No bets on who will pay for it.
  • FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 3,866
    edited November 2017

Perhaps it's also a consequence of the loss of their (edit: the AfD's) figurehead Frauke Petry, who resigned from the party (to form her own party) after the election. The AfD is riven with internal turmoil and leadership struggles, much like other far-right parties one could mention.
  • foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

First dual ethnicity Royal is quite a novelty.
  • Mr. Royale, I'm not so sure about Trump getting an invite. If the future Princess Meghan doesn't like him, that's a big problem for him. And if Obama didn't get an invite, that's a recent precedent.

Plus the order, I think, of importance in guests is:
    British royalty
    foreign royalty
    British politicians
    foreign politicians

So Trump's a disliked member of the least prestigious category.
  • Trump at 50/1 might be value.

I'd say 8/1 might be more realistic. You might laugh, but this is a UK-US thing and including him might be the diplomatic thing to do <1 year from Brexit.</p>

Invite? Possibly. But would he attend an event where he'd be a bit-part player and where protocol would determine that he'd be lower down the pecking order than any crowned head attending, never mind the principals. Besides, I suspect the US Secret Service would have a fit about the security implications.
  • TOPPING said:

fantastically misunderestimating the British people, there, Nick.
    Hard to disagree with your response there.

Though I do think that the tabloids using occasions like this to needle Corbyn on his republican views will fall flat, which would have been unimaginable 30 years ago.

Mr. Royale, I'm not so sure about Trump getting an invite. If the future Princess Meghan doesn't like him, that's a big problem for him. And if Obama didn't get an invite, that's a recent precedent.

British royalty
    foreign royalty
    British politicians
    foreign politicians

Put commonwealth politicians between the British and foreign ones, and he’s even lower down.
    Scott_P said:

kle4 said:

I'm thinking Community without Pierce. Or Troy. Or Shirley...
    Sigh, such a good show to start with.

Perhaps it's also a consequence of the loss of their (edit: the AfD's) figurehead Frauke Petry, who resigned from the party (to form her own party) after the election. The AfD is riven with internal turmoil and leadership struggles, much like other far-right parties one could mention.
    I wouldn't describe the Conservatives as 'far-right'.
  • RobD said:

Mr. Royale, I'm not so sure about Trump getting an invite. If the future Princess Meghan doesn't like him, that's a big problem for him. And if Obama didn't get an invite, that's a recent precedent.

British royalty
    foreign royalty
    British politicians
    foreign politicians

Put commonwealth politicians between the British and foreign ones, and he’s even lower down.
    Turnbull.....if he's still PM.......

RobD said:

British royalty
    foreign royalty
    British politicians
    foreign politicians

Turnbull.....if he's still PM.......
    Robert Mugabe - he’s officially an elder statesman now.

It's more about "it" than it is about them, although as celebrities, it's also about him and her.

Royal weddings act as milestone markers in our national story that all can unite, celebrate and reflect around.
  • rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,880
    For those thinking of betting on this market- there’s a good wiki article on guests to the last royal wedding. Hague went so I would think Boris is a good bet.

Inviting Barack but not Trump would be quite a snub (and I think certain he would take it personally) for this reason I think Trump is a better bet than Obama.
  • Cyclefree said:

To be a tiny bit serious, though, there is some symbolic value in the fact that someone who is part African-American, part Irish is marrying into the Royal Family. It reflects the way society increasingly is these days. It shows an openness which is welcome. And the fact that Harry has been so critical of the racist abuse that his fiancé received is also a good symbol, much as his mother's willingness to touch Aids victims was, long before this became fashionable.

The general over-the-top wedding bollocks we will be subjected to is tiresome. But nice for Harry and for his family / friends that he has found someone he loves who seems lovely and intelligent and not simply a simpering clothes horse.

And if it gives those who are interested a bit of a cheer in gloomy days, what's the problem?

Better this than reading about middle aged men sweating over porn or leering at young employees.
    That is a good point. We have come a long way since the establishment was shuddering at the prospect of Diana marrying a muslim.

Roger said:

I think it's fairly well established that Harry was unlikely to ever go down that road.
    Someone announced to me today that Prince George was gay. I had not realised that the gaydar compass worked for 4 year olds.

But in any case if this does turn out to be the case I just want you to note that you heard it here first from me.

PS Pretty much everything about the Royals strikes me as camp as Xmas so it seems to me miraculous that any of them are straight but there you go.
  • Mr. rkrkrk, any former presidents attend the last wedding?

Trump at 50/1 might be value.

I'd say 8/1 might be more realistic. You might laugh, but this is a UK-US thing and including him might be the diplomatic thing to do <1 year from Brexit.</p>

Invite? Possibly. But would he attend an event where he'd be a bit-part player and where protocol would determine that he'd be lower down the pecking order than any crowned head attending, never mind the principals. Besides, I suspect the US Secret Service would have a fit about the security implications.
    I think he’d go. He likes events and royal wedding is prestigious.
    He will find a way to make it about him either way. I’d suggest he avoids any close interactions with the bride though...
    Presumably the Queen will make them Duke and Dukess of somewhere. Scunthorpe, perhaps?

Presumably the Queen will make them Duke and Dukess of somewhere. Scunthorpe, perhaps?

Sussex is the favourite.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950

It's more about "it" than it is about them, although as celebrities, it's also about him and her.

Royal weddings act as milestone markers in our national story that all can unite, celebrate and reflect around.
    As Henry VIII noted...
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    RobD said:

British royalty
    foreign royalty
    British politicians
    foreign politicians

I think it's foreign heads of state second, whether Kings or Presidents.
    HHemmelig said:

Cyclefree said:

That is a good point. We have come a long way since the establishment was shuddering at the prospect of Diana marrying a muslim.
    If someone in line to the throne looked like they’d plan to, I wouldn’t be surprised to see a shudder return.
    Cyclefree said:

Roger said:

Someone announced to me today that Prince George was gay. I had not realised that the gaydar compass worked for 4 year olds.

But in any case if this does turn out to be the case I just want you to note that you heard it here first from me.

PS Pretty much everything about the Royals strikes me as camp as Xmas so it seems to me miraculous that any of them are straight but there you go.
    Well, many royals in the past have been speculated to be gay, but it didn’t prevent them doing what amounted to their duty in most cases of course.
    HHemmelig said:

Cyclefree said:

The suggestion that she was even considering it was in the fevered imagination of Dodi's Dad, I suspect. The establishment shuddering was more at Diana's general behaviour rather than at who she might have married - a stable and happy marriage is exactly what that poor woman needed.
  • rkrkrk said:

For those thinking of betting on this market- there’s a good wiki article on guests to the last royal wedding. Hague went so I would think Boris is a good bet.

Inviting Barack but not Trump would be quite a snub (and I think certain he would take it personally) for this reason I think Trump is a better bet than Obama.

Both might be invited. They might not be equally likely to attend.

Donald Trump, like Teddy Roosevelt, wants to be the bride at every wedding and the corpse at every funeral. I can't see him wanting to sit in the third row mutely. He won't attend whether or not invited.
    RobD said:

Sussex is the favourite.
    The land of the south Saxons? Not very inclusive.

Mr. rkrkrk, any former presidents attend the last wedding?

Not that I can see. PMs if commonwealth well represented.
    US ambassador went though.
    Ishmael_Z said:

RobD said:

British royalty
    foreign royalty
    British politicians
    foreign politicians

I think it's foreign heads of state second, whether Kings or Presidents.
    Really? Well what’s even the point of being a royal if your fellow royals don’t given you preference at such events? They are a diminishing breed (in name anyway, plenty of pseudo-monarchies out there).

Also the fawning and deference is massively lower than it was in the 1980s. I remember watching both the Charles-Diana and Andrew-Fergie weddings at school, look at the footage again and it is far more toe curling than today. The royal divorces, the annus horribilis and the death of Diana seem to have killed off the old level of deference, and good thing too. These days I don't think it's any more than showing courteous respect to the royal family and, of course, feeding the celebrity obsessed culture we live in.
This discussion has been closed.