Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The last 48 hours makes me content to keep on laying David Dav

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited November 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The last 48 hours makes me content to keep on laying David Davis as next PM/Tory leader

This was @DavidDavisMP on @MarrShow 3 September telling the public a £50bn Brexit divorce bill is "rubbish, nonsense and completely wrong!" pic.twitter.com/wNzY6XeVCf

Read the full story here

Comments

• surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    DD is a joke!
  • Second! Like Remain.......
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    edited November 2017
    surbiton said:

DD is a joke!

Jokes are funny though, not sure about DD.
    I see Senator Orrin hatch tweeted in support of may...and signs off with OGH.
  • Ally_BAlly_B Posts: 185
    edited November 2017
    And secondly there doesn't appear to be a single competent minister amongst the leading Leavers in the cabinet. It is no wonder that May has let them sort out the details for our eventual capitulation and withdrawal of Art 50.

So NI is going to have different customs arrangements to the rest of the UK then. How is that going to work without there being some sort of hard border between them and U.K. Mainland?
  • MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,281
    I'm afraid it's starting to look pretty doubtful whether the final Brexit deal will get through the Commons.

It looks as if at least 15 Con Leavers might well vote against because they think the bill will be too high - thinking that if it's voted down we'll leave with No Deal.

Of course what might well happen is the Govt collapses, Corbyn wins the resulting GE and we end up staying in the EU (at least to all intents and purposes) plus of course we'll have Corbyn as PM as well.

But no doubt they won't care less - ideological purity will trump everything and no matter what the consequences.
  • swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,435
    You'd think he'd realise its time to stop digging......coming back to the main issue - N Ireland may have the capacity to be the big issue regarding BREXIT, I am thinking FoM, ECJ, FTA have nothing on the complexities of Northern Ireland, it seems many MPS do not understand the nature of the complexity and therefore it is possbly the biggest stumbling block of them all. Is it because of the English/London media bias we have in the UK?
  • MikeL said:

Of course what might well happen is the Govt collapses, Corbyn wins the resulting GE and we end up staying in the EU

Which is why it won't happen.....
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    edited November 2017
    The “Lay the Favourite” rule for the next Conservative leader market still holds, alongside the traditional “Lay Boris, and keep laying Boris” rule.

In fact the five favourites for next leader are currently Jacob Rees-Mogg (7), Boris Johnson (10), Andrea Leadsom (11), Amber Rudd (12) and David Davis (12.5). They’re all a lay in my book.

MikeL said:

Of course what might well happen is the Govt collapses, Corbyn wins the resulting GE and we end up staying in the EU

Indeed. There will be an almighty staged Parliamentary row about various aspects of the Brexit negotiation outcome, but at the end of the day it will pass if the government wishes it to pass.
    MikeL said:

I'm afraid it's starting to look pretty doubtful whether the final Brexit deal will get through the Commons.

It looks as if at least 15 Con Leavers might well vote against because they think the bill will be too high - thinking that if it's voted down we'll leave with No Deal.

Of course what might well happen is the Govt collapses, Corbyn wins the resulting GE and we end up staying in the EU (at least to all intents and purposes) plus of course we'll have Corbyn as PM as well.

But no doubt they won't care less - ideological purity will trump everything and no matter what the consequences.

Labour are leave supporting.
  • MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,281
    edited November 2017
    kle4 said:

MikeL said:

I'm sure Lab will find a way of voting against (though of course Field, Hoey etc will vote in favour).

However the posters below may well be right - though I wouldn't put money on it.
    MikeL said:

kle4 said:

MikeL said:

I'm sure Lab will find a way of voting against (though of course Field, Hoey etc will vote in favour).

However the posters below may well be right - though I wouldn't put money on it.
    I have a pint bet with a friend that at some point during the Parliamentary Brexit process, there will be a photo of Kate Hoey and Ken Clarke together on the Commons terrace with a couple of G+Ts, informally ‘pairing’ during a key vote.
  • Sandpit said:

MikeL said:

Indeed. There will be an almighty staged Parliamentary row about various aspects of the Brexit negotiation outcome, but at the end of the day it will pass if the government wishes it to pass.
    As we have seen so far with every 'Stop Brexit' drama......
  • foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited November 2017
    MikeL said:

kle4 said:

MikeL said:

It depends how soft the deal is. The latest rumour of special status for NI makes it 3 nil to the opposition. LINO would probably have majority Lab support if the alternative was No Deal.

I have never bern convinced by DD as leadership material. I think Hammond is value at the moment, as he seems to have the cabinet coming round to him.
    Extraordinary tweets from the Donald.

The Emperor has no clothes.

Sandpit said:

MikeL said:

https://twitter.com/JCHannah77/status/936000641935314944
  • rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,879
    Sandpit said:

The “Lay the Favourite” rule for the next Conservative leader market still holds, alongside the traditional “Lay Boris, and keep laying Boris” rule.

In fact the five favourites for next leader are currently Jacob Rees-Mogg (7), Boris Johnson (10), Andrea Leadsom (11), Amber Rudd (12) and David Davis (12.5). They’re all a lay in my book.

Amber Rudd at 12 is value/close to value I think.
    She may get the endorsement of the great Ruth, she is in the Cabinet, she doesn't seem to have any major black marks apart from a slim majority.

But this market scares me a little because I have a heavy anti JRM position... and his odds just keep getting shorter!

Picking a fight with Donald won't do TM any harm with the British public.

And to be honest - it probably won't do her any harm with Congress either.

He is surely one of the weakest Presidents ever.
    rkrkrk said:

Sandpit said:

She may get the endorsement of the great Ruth, she is in the Cabinet, she doesn't seem to have any major black marks apart from a slim majority.

But this market scares me a little because I have a heavy anti JRM position... and his odds just keep getting shorter!
    I would back @JRM as next leader, but not next PM, which implies TM fights next election as leader.

I could only see that happening if the next election came at a time not of the governments choosing.
    edited November 2017
    rkrkrk said:

Sandpit said:

As others have said, JRM is only next leader if Mrs May goes into the next election and loses power, the Mogg is then well placed to take over as LotO. I can’t see him as next leader if that position is to be PM, he’s got no ministerial experience. He may well also run for Speaker if that position comes up in the next couple of years - a job to which he’s well suited. His recent prominence is because he is a very articulate Leaver and a good media performer.

I just don’t see the attraction of Amber Rudd. The members are unlikely to want a prominent Remainer until Brexit is done and dusted, and her department is going to have to deal with the human element of the ending of Freedom of Movement - which is already generating several bad headlines about letters sent from the Home Office. Her tiny majority isn’t going to help her case either.

My big greens in this market are Hammond, Hunt and Gove - all of whom have been doing well in their own departments recently.
  • HMG has to obtain some meaningful freedom of action on trade, regulation and immigration for the UK within any UK-EU deal.

If it does, then the divorce bill will be seen as a price worth paying. Especially if spread over 40 years. If it does not, and all the money is just a heavy fee to lock us into most EU regulations and ECJ rulings without any votes or say in exchange for a deal, it will fall.

Long way to go yet.
  • Ally_BAlly_B Posts: 185
    rkrkrk said:

I guess the US is now another country where we can kiss goodbye to getting a fair FTA. Good job we weren't banking on having one with them, oh wait ......
  • On Northern Ireland, I'll be interested to see the detail.

It's clear some sort of fudge is coming. But, the GFA already has a fair few fudges in it anyway.
  • Ally_B said:

And secondly there doesn't appear to be a single competent minister amongst the leading Leavers in the cabinet. It is no wonder that May has let them sort out the details for our eventual capitulation and withdrawal of Art 50.

So NI is going to have different customs arrangements to the rest of the UK then. How is that going to work without there being some sort of hard border between them and U.K. Mainland?

You and WilliamGlenn should get married.

Preferably in Strasbourg, with Guy Verhofstadht as best man, and Barnier as the priest.
  • Sandpit said:

MikeL said:

For all the disagreements, the Conservative vote has been remarkably cohesive.
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,122

On Northern Ireland, I'll be interested to see the detail.

It's clear some sort of fudge is coming. But, the GFA already has a fair few fudges in it anyway.

I think T. May , so far is making the best of a hugely difficult job re Brexit. In other respects of course her leadership style has been poor but on Brexit she has been fairly consistent in what she said from the start. We are moving to a sensible compromise position - much depends now on an element of good faith from the EU, far from a given, and a greater recognition on the part of the Ultras that the result of the referendum was too close for anything other than a compromise negotiation.

Sandpit said:

MikeL said:

Yes, the Government whips have done a very good job so far. I think the closest vote on the amendments last week was 310-299 or 311-300.

There will be a large pile of fudge on NI. There always has been.
  • I wonder how Tories feel about Trump attacking May?

• OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,715
    Sandpit said:

But is it Protestant fudge or Catholic fudge?

I wonder how Tories feel about Trump attacking May?

This one doesn’t care. He’s showboating to distract from his domestic problems, the diplomatic relationships that count are as strong as ever.

Trump will have forgotten about it by next week, so we should too.
    O/t, but personal good news; the oncologist signed me off yesterday, apart from six-monthly monitoring. But he doesn’t expect any problems.

O/t, but personal good news; the oncologist signed me off yesterday, apart from six-monthly monitoring. But he doesn’t expect any problems.

Woo, congratulations Sir :+1::D
  • O/t, but personal good news; the oncologist signed me off yesterday, apart from six-monthly monitoring. But he doesn’t expect any problems.

Congratulations.
    Thank you, gentlemen. That’s two cancers now sorted, thanks to the NHS!
  • TonyETonyE Posts: 938
    kle4 said:

MikeL said:

I rather suspect that when the moment comes that Labour could reverse Brexit. Corbyn will meet with an unfortunate event.
  • EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956

Glad to hear it OKC :)
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,755
    O/T Roy Moore has retaken a 5% lead, in a poll that previously had him 4% behind. TSE's bet looks safe.
  • Sandpit said:

But is it Protestant fudge or Catholic fudge?
    That's part of the fudge!
    Sean_F said:

O/T Roy Moore has retaken a 5% lead, in a poll that previously had him 4% behind. TSE's bet looks safe.

LOL. File under “Normal for Alabama”?
    Ally_B said:

rkrkrk said:

I guess the US is now another country where we can kiss goodbye to getting a fair FTA. Good job we weren't banking on having one with them, oh wait ......
    Likely there will be one at some point in the future. These things really do take years and years to negotiate. We just won't make much progress while Donald is in charge.
  • Sandpit said:

MikeL said:

And despite all the alarums and excursions - and allegations of 'not knowing what they want' - the government's position has remained pretty consistent....

https://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2017/11/mays-eu-negotiating-position-has-been-more-consistent-than-some-claim-or-you-may-think.html
  • JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    Thusly we need Gove as PM, Mogg as Brexit Secretary, Rory Stewart as general Foreign/Defence Supremo, and Gavin Barwell as general domestic policy supremo. Backed up by a military coup led by Prince Harry, if necessary.
  • TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

Usual rush of handwringers lining up to shoot the messenger.

His choice of retweets crass and possibly fake - but there have been how many Islamic terrorist attacks in the Uk in 2017 ?
  • Good morning, everyone.

Watched the first part of the BBC news last night. Had time to wax lyrical about the EU 'divorce bill', but didn't seem (could've been mentioned later, I missed the end) to find the time to mention Barnier's comments about us abandoning them in the fight against terror.

That Northern Ireland proposal, if accurate, sounds like it might not necessarily be to the advantage of the Con-DUP supply and confidence deal.

But let us suppose it's fine. How long before the SNP are calling for the same powers for Scotland?
  • MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,921

Great news Mr OKC!
  • JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    Oh, and something for Daniel Hannan as well.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    The special relationship is dead. Glad we're not leaving the EU. Oh, wait.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950

Fantastic news you should celebrate at Nando’s.
  • dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,279

Good to read that.
  • YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

Fantastic news all the best OKC.
  • King Cole, huzzah!
  • Yorkcity said:

Fantastic news all the best OKC.
    +1.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,755

Good.
  • Jonathan said:

In terms of the meaningful bits of the Special Relationship, rather than the ceremonial ones, you have to wonder at what point the US's place in the Five Eyes agreement comes into question.
  • Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

That is great news! Congrats :+1:
  • Jonathan said:

Nah. Its a lot more than the interpersonal relationship between a PM and President - and Trump's latest tweet is a perfect one for May to 'rise above'.....
  • O/t, but personal good news; the oncologist signed me off yesterday, apart from six-monthly monitoring. But he doesn’t expect any problems.

Excellent news sir.
  • Jonathan said:

In terms of the meaningful bits of the Special Relationship, rather than the ceremonial ones, you have to wonder at what point the US's place in the Five Eyes agreement comes into question.
    I think we all need each other - the US relies heavily on British assets in parts of the world (and Australian) and vice versa. Five Eyes will continue long after Trump is an embarrassing footnote in American Presidential history.....
  • rkrkrk said:

Ally_B said:

rkrkrk said:

Likely there will be one at some point in the future. These things really do take years and years to negotiate. We just won't make much progress while Donald is in charge.
    We won't ever make progress unless we're prepared to roll over on their terms. The US Congress doesn't really care all that much about a FTA with Britain but they do care about protecting their domestic interests.

Excellent news sir.
    +1
  • On topic, I agree. Those who are insistent that the next Tory leader will have to be a Leaver need to answer the question 'who?'. To me, Gove is the only one capable to doing the job - and even there, I have severe doubts over whether he's a team player.
  • TGOHF said:

Usual rush of handwringers lining up to shoot the messenger.

His choice of retweets crass and possibly fake - but there have been how many Islamic terrorist attacks in the Uk in 2017 ?
    Let's get this straight. Are you saying that Trump was right to re-tweet Britain First videos?
  • Jonathan said:

I think we all need each other - the US relies heavily on British assets in parts of the world (and Australian) and vice versa. Five Eyes will continue long after Trump is an embarrassing footnote in American Presidential history.....
    The question is one of security. But I agree that the US's size and resources make any disengagement very dangerous in terms of lost info.
  • It was also a bad 48 hours for Gavin Williamson, who as Chief Whip was the genius behind the government boycotting opposition day debate votes that has led to these problems for the government. Quite frankly his ‘cleverness’ is the epitome of a Pyrrhic victory with could see David Davis held in contempt of Parliament.

The removal of a potential competitor for post of PM is bad news how, exactly?
  • The Minister for Winging It is being found out. Not a huge surprise.
  • On topic, I agree. Those who are insistent that the next Tory leader will have to be a Leaver need to answer the question 'who?'. To me, Gove is the only one capable to doing the job - and even there, I have severe doubts over whether he's a team player.

Gove’s sheepish thumbs up photo with Trump may prove to have been a mistake.

• YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

Sandpit said:

MikeL said:

It sure has, one monolithic block.
  • DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    It might be worth asking whether there's something inherently bad about Brexit that's causing the politicians who are dealing with it to become unelectable.
  • It's much easier to find lays in this market than backs, isn't it.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080
    It isn't Davis who is useless, but Brexit itself. The most likely and logical explanation for all of this is that the assessments do exist in some detail - as originally described - but are so absolutely damaging to the project (and so to the government itself) that they simply cannot afford to release them.
  • A Theresa May from Bognor Regis with just six followers on Twitter inadvertently found herself at the centre of a political row between Donald Trump and the Prime Minister last night.

The President of the United States blasted Mrs May over her criticism of his decision to share anti-Muslim videos posted online by far-right group Britain First.

But instead of sending his message to Downing Street he sent it to a Theresa May Scrivener who lives in a flat in Bognor.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5131605/Trump-mocked-tweeting-WRONG-Theresa-May.html
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    edited November 2017
    Risk that the attacks on Trump are overdoing it. A Twitter war between the leaders of US and UK isn't good, and the more heat, the more PR for Britain First, a group of which 99% of Britons would never previously have heard.

There have also been multiple terrorist attacks this year and the diametrically opposing positions taken (Don't Look Back In Anger for dead children, versus evil rightwingers boo hiss for the lunatic driving a van at men emerging from a mosque) are both obviously inconsistent and creates a wide open space for the far right.

So, some comedy to lighten the mood:
    https://twitter.com/frank_fisher/status/936147957216370688

Edited extra bit: one day I'll remember the subtweet isn't included. It's a reply to Tatchell who wrote the following:
    "Mixed race #MeghanMarkle gets into the royal family. Good for her. But no black Briton can be UK's Head of State for the next 100 years because the post is inherited via the Queen's all-white descendants. Looks like de facto racism to me. I explain here: "
  • HMG has to obtain some meaningful freedom of action on trade, regulation and immigration for the UK within any UK-EU deal.

If it does, then the divorce bill will be seen as a price worth paying. Especially if spread over 40 years. If it does not, and all the money is just a heavy fee to lock us into most EU regulations and ECJ rulings without any votes or say in exchange for a deal, it will fall.

Long way to go yet.

I doubt anyone outside a tiny minority cares about trade and regulation, or the role of the ECJ. Some limits on current freedom of movement will be enough for most voters. Beyond that, what will count long term is how any deal affects living standards. The Tories were elected on a manifesto that promised a Brexit which would improve them and deliver a prosperous, fairer Britain. That’s what needs to be delivered.

• archer101auarcher101au Posts: 1,612
    Sandpit said:

NI is not about fudge. This is the EU getting a head start on forcing the UK as a whole to maintain compliance with EU regulations after Brexit. Which is a problem because we should only have to do this if we stay in the SM and absolutely should not do this if we are going CETA, which is what they are saying we will offer. They will get the UK to make the concession now in relation to NI knowing that it will have to apply to the whole UK.

The worst of all World's is an FTA with a limit on regulatory divergence, but it suits the EU perfectly. And of course, once we agree to retain EU regulation we will have to agree to ECJ jurisdiction on these matters.

This is far worse than no deal.

Long way to go yet.

I doubt anyone outside a tiny minority cares about trade and regulation, or the role of the ECJ. Some limits on current freedom of movement will be enough for most voters.
    I suspect you underestimate the ECJ importance ('sovereignty' was the principal reason given by Leave voters) - but then again since (it is to be hoped) we are still in the ECHR 'foreign courts' won't have 'gone away'.....

Excellent news sir.
    +1
    +2
  • Mr. Archer, in addition, it prolongs the pro- and anti-EU division in this country rather than allowing us to move on.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,708
    I disagree entirely. If anything the events of the last 48 hours have increases the likelihood of a Davis premiership and Tory leadership. If we do now get a FTA deal, as seems increasingly likely, then both May and Davis will take some credit and if Boris and Gove having backed the deal will have little scope of any to challenge Davis on a hard Brexit ticket (Boris is particular said the EU could 'go whistle' for any money at all let alone £50 million). The only man who does is Mogg who has made clear he will vote against the payments and a deal.

That means either Davis or Mogg are likely to succeed May as Tory leader. If Mogg gets through to the membership he may well win. However I think MPs would orchestrate a Davis v Rudd contest which Davis as the Leaver in that scenario would win.
    MikeL said:

Labour effectively made clear yesterday they would vote for a FTA deal, Corbyn is still refusing to commit to permanent single market membership which would leave free movement in place and anger working class Labour Leave voters
    rkrkrk said:

Sandpit said:

Me too. Our reassurance is that he would clearly prefer to be Speaker, as his current conduct demonstrates. I suspect the market is being puffed up by Tories who are putting their own enthusiasm before objective assessment. Or at least so my betting account hopes.

MikeL said:

kle4 said:

MikeL said:

It depends how soft the deal is. The latest rumour of special status for NI makes it 3 nil to the opposition. LINO would probably have majority Lab support if the alternative was No Deal.

I have never bern convinced by DD as leadership material. I think Hammond is value at the moment, as he seems to have the cabinet coming round to him.
    Hammond polls worse with Survation against Corbyn than Davis and did worse with the Luntz focus group than Davis, it will not be him especially as he is one of the strongest representatives of the Remain and soft Brexit faction in Cabinet he would not get through the membership

Hurrah.
  • Thank you, gentlemen. That’s two cancers now sorted, thanks to the NHS!

:+1: Great news.
    rkrkrk said:

Sandpit said:

Rudd also did worse than Davis with Survation and Luntz and again the membership will not vote for another Remainer, though she may be the Remain/soft Brexit candidate in the final 2
    Ally_B said:

rkrkrk said:

We don't have one with the US now and it is still the largest single UK export market

On topic, I agree. Those who are insistent that the next Tory leader will have to be a Leaver need to answer the question 'who?'. To me, Gove is the only one capable to doing the job - and even there, I have severe doubts over whether he's a team player.

At least out front they could see where he is.
  • TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

Congrats Mr OKC.

I expect most establishment Republicans would rather have May as President than Trump, I expect most UKIP voters and diehard Brexiteers would rather now have Trump as PM than May

Long way to go yet.

I doubt anyone outside a tiny minority cares about trade and regulation, or the role of the ECJ. Some limits on current freedom of movement will be enough for most voters.
    I suspect you underestimate the ECJ importance ('sovereignty' was the principal reason given by Leave voters) - but then again since (it is to be hoped) we are still in the ECHR 'foreign courts' won't have 'gone away'.....

Now that the ECJ red line has gone, my guess is that we’ll see it have some kind of post-Brexit role in a number of important sectors that voters know very little about, but which are pretty important to the regular functioning of the country. No-one will notice beyond the Rees Mogg faction and no-one will care. The impending NI fudge will inevitably involve the ECJ, too.

The key thing is to get to the trade talks. Once that happens everything changes - including the mood music and even the body language -?as both sides will be actively invested in securing a positive outcome. If Mrs May can see through this facing down of the Brextremists I think it will set her free. I am sure there is a majority in Parliament and the country for a slow, considered disengagement that involves a continuing close relationship with the Single Market and Customs Union. The key issue is limitations on freedom of movement.

Sean_F said:

Still too close to call in a state Republicans normally win by 25 to 30%
  • HYUFD said:

I disagree entirely. If anything the events of the last 48 hours have increases the likelihood of a Davis premiership and Tory leadership. If we do now get a FTA deal, as seems increasingly likely, then both May and Davis will take some credit and if Boris and Gove having backed the deal will have little scope of any to challenge Davis on a hard Brexit ticket (Boris is particular said the EU could 'go whistle' for any money at all let alone £50 million). The only man who does is Mogg who has made clear he will vote against the payments and a deal.

That means either Davis or Mogg are likely to succeed May as Tory leader. If Mogg gets through to the membership he may well win. However I think MPs would orchestrate a Davis v Rudd contest which Davis as the Leaver in that scenario would win.

You used to disagree when I said lay Boris.

How’d that turn out ?

Sandpit said:

NI is not about fudge. This is the EU getting a head start on forcing the UK as a whole to maintain compliance with EU regulations after Brexit. Which is a problem because we should only have to do this if we stay in the SM and absolutely should not do this if we are going CETA, which is what they are saying we will offer. They will get the UK to make the concession now in relation to NI knowing that it will have to apply to the whole UK.

The worst of all World's is an FTA with a limit on regulatory divergence, but it suits the EU perfectly. And of course, once we agree to retain EU regulation we will have to agree to ECJ jurisdiction on these matters.

Who is this "we"?
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,392
    As all of the other Leaver candidates self-destruct, it is becoming clearer that #Esther4Leader is the only option.

Sandpit said:

Yes, that’s a risk that we need to continue to bear in mind as we move to the next stage.

I agree that we shouldn’t try and make different rules for NI, we should stand firm that the way we avoid a border is by tariff-free goods trade between the EU and UK.

Despite the seeming progress this week, we still need to prepare for the EU side running down the clock with no intention of a trade deal, and be prepared to call them out on it - even if it means walking away.

As all of the other Leaver candidates self-destruct, it is becoming clearer that #Esther4Leader is the only option.

In 2030.

Sandpit said:

As long as we get a FTA that ends free movement the Leave vote is respected and nothing else matters even sone compliance with EU regulation as the government is already incorporating much EU law into UK law. Remember 48% voted Leave because of economic comcerns so a FTA has to be done while Leave only won over 50% because of free movement concerns not sovereigntyists, Leaving the EU and ending free movement is therefore fine.
This discussion has been closed.