Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » It is now five months since “right to Leave” had lead in YouGo

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited December 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » It is now five months since “right to Leave” had lead in YouGov’s Brexit tracker

Ever since the referendum PB has been monitoring the regular tracker that has been issued at regular intervals by YouGov. The wording is in the chart above which seeks to show the trend since Britain voted to leave.

Read the full story here

Comments

• JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    A week is a long time in politics. I still want to know whether May will call a snap election.
  • Have YouGov changed their sampling, weighting or other methodology post-election or is it the same?

Are pre-election polls and post-election polls for this question consistent and comparable?
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited December 2017
    Farage has been touring the studios today. Surely no one apart from the serious headbangers think he's a good advocate for the Brexiteers. It could be the BBC being mischievous but more likely there aren't any sensible leavers with the courage of their convictions.
  • surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Jonathan said:

A week is a long time in politics. I still want to know whether May will call a snap election.

Calling a snap election will not happen for a generation, like postponing an election when it trialled as it was about to happen [ Oct 2007 ], will not happen for another 10 years.
    Roger said:

Farage has been touring the studios today. Surely no one apart from the serious headbangers think he's a good advocate for the Brexiteers. It could be the BBC being mischievous but more likely there aren't any sensible leavers with the courage of their convictions.

I think the second part of your post is probably accurate. Under the BBC's "balanced" view policy, they had to come up with someone from the pro-Brexit camp and perhaps others were not so willing or Farage gets more attention.
  • Roger said:

To be fair, he's more restrained than Arron Banks:

https://twitter.com/SebastianEPayne/status/939073557954473985
  • The hardline Conservative Leavers have been conspicuously quiet. The general approach seems to be "nothing is agreed until everything is agreed and some of this stuff needs looking at again". I can't see that line holding for too long. Either they need to hang out the bunting or they need to put their heads above the parapet.
  • On topic, today will be a good test of how big the centre ground of Brexit politics is.
  • Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,784
    It's being trotted out that stage 2 will be harder than stage 1. I'm not entirely clear why that would be.

I can see that 80% of the detail has yet to be agreed, including the whole trade piece sector by sector, but it seems to me that 80% of the politics has been done, including very much of the work relating to red lines.

I'm sure the trade specifics will throw up rows, but the potential for those rows to crash the whole thing seems very much diminished and that, to me, days it will be easier from now on.

Am I missing something? What are the biggest risks that people foresee from a political standpoint?
  • Roger said:

Paedo Ted.

Golly.
  • https://news.sky.com/story/tory-councillor-apologises-over-bizarre-feet-on-seat-train-row-11161856

Why is this guy apologising ? He isn’t the one who was giving large with the racial slurs after putting their dirty feet on somebodies seat. If anything he should be the one getting an apology.
  • stevefstevef Posts: 1,044
    I think remoaners should stop conflating those who voted leave with Nigel Farage. Please recall that many many people across the political spectrum opposed British membership of the EU, including the late Tony Benn, and his disciples Jeremy Corbyn (who voted against every EU treaty in the Commons for 30 years), Dennis Skinner who voted leave, Liberals like John Cleese, moderate Labour MPs like Frank Field.
    I think its very unlikely to swing back after today's deal. The more the public are reminded of the debacle (even if the news is less bad) the less likely they are to want to flog this dead horse.

A total balls up by the electorate and they know it
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835

The hardline Conservative Leavers have been conspicuously quiet. The general approach seems to be "nothing is agreed until everything is agreed and some of this stuff needs looking at again". I can't see that line holding for too long. Either they need to hang out the bunting or they need to put their heads above the parapet.

They've ceded their "No Surrender" rhetoric to those more experienced.
    stevef said:

I think remoaners should stop conflating those who voted leave with Nigel Farage. Please recall that many many people across the political spectrum opposed British membership of the EU, including the late Tony Benn, and his disciples Jeremy Corbyn (who voted against every EU treaty in the Commons for 30 years), Dennis Skinner who voted leave, Liberals like John Cleese, moderate Labour MPs like Frank Field.

Jeremy Corbyn is not a Leaver. He supports Freedom of Movement [ the main driver of Leave ] and Worker's Rights enshrined in EU directives.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,742
    edited December 2017
    stevef said:

At the time of the Brexit referendum there were folk on here saying whatever you think of Nige, he'd had a huge influence on a winning Leave vote, he was probably the most significant UK pol of the last 15 years etc. Though they would all prefer to forget that now, I don't see why I should.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,392
    Off topic, I have just red an article which claimed that it would tell me how to mine Bitcoins.

After reading the article, I still don't have an effing clue what they are going on about. For one thing, they filed to define the word 'mine'.

On that basis, I shall remortgage my home and invest a 6-figure sum in Bitcoins immediately.

stevef said:

At the time of the Brexit referendum there were folk on here saying whatever you think of Nige, he'd had a huge influence on a winning Leave vote, he was probably the most significant UK pol of the last 15 years etc. Though they would all prefer to forget that now, I don't see why I should.
    No, I dont think Farage did have much of an influence on the outcome of the referendum. He did not take part in any of the big TV debates, and was not even a member of the official campaign. I think his historical importance was to force the government to hold a referendum on the EU. Remember that Remoaners -possibly yourself -were arguing that whether we governed ourselves and controlled our own borders was none of the British people's business. They should shut up and respect their betters. Farage's role was to force the government to think again.

But he played little part in the decision. Much more important in the outcome was the total refusal of Jeremy Corbyn, the leader of the Labour Party, and the Leader of the Opposition to campaign for Remain. If Labour had a better leader in 2016, more committed to the EU we would still be in the EU. Brexit is Tony Benn's revenge from the grave.
    surbiton said:

stevef said:

Jeremy Corbyn is not a Leaver. He supports Freedom of Movement [ the main driver of Leave ] and Worker's Rights enshrined in EU directives.
    Jeremy Corbyn's record speaks for itself: he voted against every single EU treaty in the Commons for 30 years including the treaty that created the EU. The Labour remain campaign were seething with frustration at Corbyn's failure to campaign effectively for remain.
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

stevef said:

Well, I think I said that, and I think I put him joint first with Salmond, A. And if I were nominating significant politicians of the 20th century Hitler, Stalin and Pol Pot would be in there. It isn't a value judgment.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074
    From one of the previous threads:

"their birthright as enlightened Europeans"

Dear me. This assumption that all Europeans are enlightened and the British are not is a tad tiresome.

Is Berlusconi enlightened? Or Marine Le Pen? Or Viktor Orban? Or those Poles demonstrating in favour of anti-Semitism and the Nazis? Or Golden Dawn? I could go on.

"Enlightened" is beginning to mean "those who agree with me" just as "racist" is beginning to mean "those who disagree with me".

FWIW I am European. I was before the UK joined the EU. I will be after it leaves. Being a European is not limited to those who agree with one political model. I resent the way the EU seeks to blur the distinction between a political and economic construct, however ambitious/benign it may be (or not, depending on your point of view) and Europe and European culture which is, has been and always will be something larger than whatever particular political, social or economic arrangement obtains at any one time.

I personally will be sorry to lose FoM. I am one of the few on here who thinks Britain was right, generous and moral in letting in Poles, Latvians and others from Eastern Europe by contrast with the oh so enlightened French and Germans. But I do not, as some appear to do, assume that those who want their country to determine who is or is not let into the country are ipso facto racist fascists or worse.

• Off topic, I have just red an article which claimed that it would tell me how to mine Bitcoins.

After reading the article, I still don't have an effing clue what they are going on about. For one thing, they filed to define the word 'mine'.

On that basis, I shall remortgage my home and invest a 6-figure sum in Bitcoins immediately.

Mining Bitcoins involves maintaining some records for the tracking of the exchange of Bitcoins. Maintaining the record involves working out the unique codes to add at the beginning and end of the blocks that will be chained together. This requires lots of computer time. By carrying out a certain amount of this record maintenance you earn a Bitcoin.

Why anyone would want to do this pointless activity, beyond joining in with a ponzi scheme is beyond me. Just make sure you cash in the Bitcoins before the music stops.
    Those who see Brexit as some kind of Tory plot with Farage pulling the strings, and who believe that whether the UK is a self governing country with control of its own borders is none of the British people's business in a referendum, and who are now hoping for a Corbyn government should remember this.

Jeremy Corbyn voted against every EU treaty for 30 years including the treaty which created the EU in the first place. He was 100% in agreement with his master Tony Benn that Britain should leave the EU. During the referendum campaign he had the Labour remain campaign seething with fury because of his failure to campaign effectively for the EU. He refused to take part in any major TV debates, and time and time again hindered the remain campaign. His blinkered supporters should take off their tinted spectacles and look him clearly.

His ambiguous stance now is entirely unprincipled and opportunist. If you want to know who more than anyone else brought about Brexit, look no further than Jeremy Bernard Corbyn.

Off topic, I have just red an article which claimed that it would tell me how to mine Bitcoins.

Mining Bitcoins involves maintaining some records for the tracking of the exchange of Bitcoins. Maintaining the record involves working out the unique codes to add at the beginning and end of the blocks that will be chained together. This requires lots of computer time. By carrying out a certain amount of this record maintenance you earn a Bitcoin.

Why anyone would want to do this pointless activity, beyond joining in with a ponzi scheme is beyond me. Just make sure you cash in the Bitcoins before the music stops.
    Thanks but that still flew way over my head!
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Cyclefree said:

Dear me. This assumption that all Europeans are enlightened and the British are not is a tad tiresome.

Is Berlusconi enlightened? Or Marine Le Pen? Or Viktor Orban? Or those Poles demonstrating in favour of anti-Semitism and the Nazis? Or Golden Dawn? I could go on.

"Enlightened" is beginning to mean "those who agree with me" just as "racist" is beginning to mean "those who disagree with me".

FWIW I am European. I was before the UK joined the EU. I will be after it leaves. Being a European is not limited to those who agree with one political model. I resent the way the EU seeks to blur the distinction between a political and economic construct, however ambitious/benign it may be (or not, depending on your point of view) and Europe and European culture which is, has been and always will be something larger than whatever particular political, social or economic arrangement obtains at any one time.

I personally will be sorry to lose FoM. I am one of the few on here who thinks Britain was right, generous and moral in letting in Poles, Latvians and others from Eastern Europe by contrast with the oh so enlightened French and Germans. But I do not, as some appear to do, assume that those who want their country to determine who is or is not let into the country are ipso facto racist fascists or worse.

An excellent point, as always. It is striking how the most aggressively bienpensant xenophobe detectors in the business choose to spend their leisure time, not in these notably tolerant and easygoing islands, but in racist hellholes like France, Italy and Hungary which consistently come bottom in polls of attitudes to immigrants, in which the UK comes top.
  • Today Google celebrates the 287th birthday of Jan Ingenhousz, Dutch-born British physician and scientist who is best known for his discovery of the process of photosynthesis.

Immigrants ehhh.
  • stevef said:

surbiton said:

stevef said:

Jeremy Corbyn's record speaks for itself: he voted against every single EU treaty in the Commons for 30 years including the treaty that created the EU. The Labour remain campaign were seething with frustration at Corbyn's failure to campaign effectively for remain.
    A rubbish myth. Alan Johnson was nowhere. The Labour Right was too busy plotting the coup to get their arses in gear while Corbyn did rallies across the country. Result, according to YouGov: 65% of Labour voters went Remain, compared to 68% of Lib Dem voters.
  • Off topic, I have just red an article which claimed that it would tell me how to mine Bitcoins.

As I understand it, the computing power to mine is high. Beyond an individual with a single Mac or PC.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,708
    surbiton said:

stevef said:

Corbyn does not support freedom of movement, he has committed to leaving the single market and ending free movement to keep Labour Leavers on board, Starmer actually welcomed the deal today though was prepared to see extended ECJ jurisdiction

The Japanese chappie who is credited with having invented Bitcoin must either the most intelligent person in the world or, the biggest crook in the world.

Because whilst most think it is a scam, no one has successfully and has beyond doubt proved it as such.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited December 2017
    surbiton said:

The Japanese chappie who is credited with having invented Bitcoin must either the most intelligent person in the world or, the biggest crook in the world.

Because whilst most think it is a scam, no one has successfully and has beyond doubt proved it as such.
    Except the guy wasn't Japanese....

Hal Finney was most likely a key individual and a legit genius...and dead.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hal_Finney_(computer_scientist)
  • I thought of @Dura_Ace’s post today when I saw this tweet:
    https://twitter.com/lbc/status/939163176670601216

• williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,786
    Cyclefree said:

You are completely misinterpreting the sentiment.

Brexit, and the outpouring of arrogant swagger it has unleashed in some, is reason enough to make people feel embarrassed about the direction their country is heading in. It's not borne of some pathetic cultural cringe, but naked anger at the ringleaders whose deluded nationalist fantasies have projected an image of a Britain that is suffering from a profound identity crisis and has lost its bearings in the world.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,755

stevef said:

I think he did have a big influence. It doesn't mean he does now.

I thought of @Dura_Ace’s post today when I saw this tweet:

At least, he was honest. Most would not admit to it.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,766

surbiton said:

Nah, everyone knows it was really Craig White.

(Hides.)

surbiton said:

https://qz.com/86255/the-mysterious-creator-of-bitcoin-could-be-japanese-mathematician-shinichi-mochizuki-says-the-inventor-of-hypertext/
  • rcs1000 said:

surbiton said:

(Hides.)
    LOL...well the numpty from the BBC fell for it.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,766
    Sean_F said:

stevef said:

I think he did have a big influence. It doesn't mean he does now.
    He's not really covered himself in glory since the referendum.
  • rcs1000 said:

surbiton said:

(Hides.)
    You are Chalky White and I claim my £5 prize.
    edited December 2017
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

https://qz.com/86255/the-mysterious-creator-of-bitcoin-could-be-japanese-mathematician-shinichi-mochizuki-says-the-inventor-of-hypertext/
    Did you read that article? It basically says no it isn't.
  • stevef said:

I remember those posts as well!

OT, I’m still waiting for JonnyJimmy to tell me how I’m a ‘young cultist’. I’d still love know what cult I’m in thrall to.
  • An encryption key to unlock hacked material hosted by WikiLeaks was emailed to Donald Trump and aides two months before the presidential election, it was reported on Friday.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/dec/08/trump-email-key-wikileaks-hacked-documents
  • surbiton said:

surbiton said:

They would say that wouldn't they.

(After Mandy Rice Davies)
    HYUFD said:

surbiton said:

stevef said:

Corbyn does not support freedom of movement, he has committed to leaving the single market and ending free movement to keep Labour Leavers on board, Starmer actually welcomed the deal today though was prepared to see extended ECJ jurisdiction
    http://youngvoicesadvocates.com/libertarians-should-embrace-jeremy-corbyn-and-not-just-because-hes-unelectable/

He said the shadow cabinet had “agreed that reasonable management of migration and moving away from freedom of movement has to be part of the referendum result”, even though the Labour leader, Jeremy Corbyn, had previously strongly defended free movement of citizens within the EU

The bold bit is Corbyn's personal view.

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2017/12/08/it-is-now-five-months-since-right-to-leave-had-lead-in-yougovs-brexit-tracker/
    edited December 2017

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

They would say that wouldn't they.

(After Mandy Rice Davies)
    Regardless of who created the code, holds the keys to the million bitcoin, the reality is I believe Nick Szabo was one of the first to publish work outlining the idea of decentralized currency and Hal Finney the first to show a reusable proof of work system upon which Bitcoin is now based.
    Only 20 seconds in, but Channel 4 News already trying to make the worst of the deal...
  • Only 20 seconds in, but Channel 4 News already trying to make the worst of the deal...

And you are surprised by this?
  • Secular schools are failing to provide children with a system of values to prevent them being led into extremism, the Archbishop of Canterbury has said.

Schools have an unduly individualistic outlook which does not make children feel they are part of a community, leaving them vulnerable to radicalisation, he said in a House of Lords debate on education.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/12/08/secular-schools-dont-give-children-values-avoid-extremism-archbishop/

Pillock.

Only 20 seconds in, but Channel 4 News already trying to make the worst of the deal...

No - I was expecting it - I made a point of tuning in.
  • Only 20 seconds in, but Channel 4 News already trying to make the worst of the deal...

No - I was expecting it - I made a point of tuning in.
    Sucker for punishment...
  • WinstanleyWinstanley Posts: 434
    edited December 2017

It's bizarre that she isn't getting pilloried for it. She offered 20 billion in September, the EU said 'double it and we'll talk'. The current deal is, to the letter, what the EU position was in September. 40 billion euros plus more to be decided later for the transition and other things.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,753

Today Google celebrates the 287th birthday of Jan Ingenhousz, Dutch-born British physician and scientist who is best known for his discovery of the process of photosynthesis.

Immigrants ehhh.

Don’t worry. We will once again have refugees from the European super state soon enough.
  • saddosaddo Posts: 534

Channel 4 executives must be keen as mustard to relocate to the 2021 City of Culture, Coventry.

Roger said:

He sounds angry. Probably still pissed off with the documentary that exposed him as a crook.
  • A former member of one of Britain's most notorious crime gangs has paid nearly £730,000 to settle a legal battle over his criminal assets.

Terry Adams, who was associated with the north London "Adams family", had claimed he was too poor to pay.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-42282388

Its amazing how much loose change you can find down the back of the sofa.

Secular schools are failing to provide children with a system of values to prevent them being led into extremism, the Archbishop of Canterbury has said.

Schools have an unduly individualistic outlook which does not make children feel they are part of a community, leaving them vulnerable to radicalisation, he said in a House of Lords debate on education.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/12/08/secular-schools-dont-give-children-values-avoid-extremism-archbishop/

Pillock.

Send your kids to a Madrasa if you want to avoid them being led into extremism.
  • saddo said:

Channel 4 executives must be keen as mustard to relocate to the 2021 City of Culture, Coventry.
    Where lots of the events are being held at Warwick Arts Centre, which isn't in Warwick, nor really Coventry....

I wonder how many out of town numpties are going to get terribly confused when they go to visit.
  • Secular schools are failing to provide children with a system of values to prevent them being led into extremism, the Archbishop of Canterbury has said.

Pillock.

That appears to be the logical extension to his comments.

saddo said:

Where lots of the events are being held at Warwick Arts Centre, which isn't in Warwick, nor really Coventry....

I wonder how many out of town numpties are going to get terribly confused when they go to visit.
    My understanding from student days there is that it's literally on the boundary broad between Cov & Warwickshire so it got funding from both local authorities.
    surbiton said:

HYUFD said:

surbiton said:

stevef said:

http://youngvoicesadvocates.com/libertarians-should-embrace-jeremy-corbyn-and-not-just-because-hes-unelectable/

He said the shadow cabinet had “agreed that reasonable management of migration and moving away from freedom of movement has to be part of the referendum result”, even though the Labour leader, Jeremy Corbyn, had previously strongly defended free movement of citizens within the EU

The bold bit is Corbyn's personal view.

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2017/12/08/it-is-now-five-months-since-right-to-leave-had-lead-in-yougovs-brexit-tracker/
    So as you confirm Corbyn's position as Labour Leader is to move away from freedom of movement.

His personal view is to leave the single market whilst not being that bothered about freedom of movement but he knows lots of Labour Leave voters are bothered about freedom of movement.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    edited December 2017
    surbiton said:

How do we tell how many think it but won't admit it? Merely denying thinking it isn't proof someone in fact does. It's such a stupid reason I kind of hope those who think it are stupid enough to have no problem admitting it, but that is probably optimistic.
  • glwglw Posts: 9,535

Secular schools are failing to provide children with a system of values to prevent them being led into extremism, the Archbishop of Canterbury has said.

Pillock.

Never-mind that, you only have to think about Protestants and Catholics in this country to realise that religious education can breed extremists of the vilest kind.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,840
    saddo said:

saddo said:

My understanding from student days there is that it's literally on the boundary broad between Cov & Warwickshire so it got funding from both local authorities.
    It splits over Wainbody ward in Coventry and Abbey ward in Kenilworth & Southam - both of which are very safe Tory wards.

Cyclefree said:

You are completely misinterpreting the sentiment.

For some.
    HYUFD said:

His personal view is to leave the single market whilst not being that bothered about freedom of movement but he knows lots of Labour Leave voters are bothered about freedom of movement.

I do love watching Labour supporters trying to paint Corbyn as a staunch fan of the EU.
  • glw said:

HYUFD said:

I do love watching Labour supporters trying to paint Corbyn as a staunch fan of the EU.
    I think his 7/10 was an honest opinion. What I find bizarre is the idea that he would have reached Labour voters more effectively by posing as a 10/10 pro-EU fanatic.

https://news.sky.com/story/tory-councillor-apologises-over-bizarre-feet-on-seat-train-row-11161856

Why is this guy apologising ? He isn’t the one who was giving large with the racial slurs after putting their dirty feet on somebodies seat. If anything he should be the one getting an apology.

What a bizarre story, with a bizarre focus in its headline.

Good move - let us know how it works out.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,753

Pillock.

That appears to be the logical extension to his comments.
    That is the logical consequence of believing in sky fairies. It does not assist logical thinking.

It's bizarre that she isn't getting pilloried for it. She offered 20 billion in September, the EU said 'double it and we'll talk'. The current deal is, to the letter, what the EU position was in September. 40 billion euros plus more to be decided later for the transition and other things.
    Didn't we start with "go whistle"?
    edited December 2017
    Pulpstar said:

saddo said:

saddo said:

It splits over Wainbody ward in Coventry and Abbey ward in Kenilworth & Southam - both of which are very safe Tory wards.
    As an ex Warwick student myself part of it is in Earlsdon ward in Coventry, also a safe Tory ward. Ironically no Leamington wards are safe Tory now in Warwick District as so many Warwick students and academics live there, leaving South Warwick, Kenilworth and the villages as the main bastions of Tory support.
    glw said:

HYUFD said:

Corbyn is the most anti EU Labour leader since Foot. May is more pro EU than IDS and Howard are

Didn't we start with "go whistle"?
    Not as I recall if 'we' means the government.
  • nielhnielh Posts: 1,307
    Roger said:

Roger said:

He sounds angry. Probably still pissed off with the documentary that exposed him as a crook.
    I think he can go whistle
  • AnExileinD4AnExileinD4 Posts: 337
    edited December 2017
    saddo said:

Parts around Coventry are great. It has a superb Transport Museum. The city though is a testament to the influence of overpowerul architects and urban planners. It’s barren 1950s and 1960s modernism come brutalist. Badly built and aesthetically disappointing.

1939 would have seen a very different, and honestly, significantly more interesting, city.
  • OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469
    glw said:

HYUFD said:

Corbyn is not a staunch fan, or an uninterested one. He is more a pragmatist, what works, works, what doesn't needs more work or gets ditched. What Tmay is doing, is trying to preserve the hegemony of the Tories, and time after time, is making herself look more ridiculous.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,840
    kle4 said:

surbiton said:

How do we tell how many think it but won't admit it? Merely denying thinking it isn't proof someone in fact does. It's such a stupid reason I kind of hope those who think it are stupid enough to have no problem admitting it, but that is probably optimistic.
    Lol

Europe is the whitest continent on earth !

saddo said:

It has a superb Transport Museum.
    Is there such a thing as a bad one?
  • Roger said:

Roger said:

Obnoxious and unpleasant, undoubtedly. A crook? Which particular criminal acts are you looking to?
    kle4 said:

saddo said:

If they ever opened a museum dedicated to Pacer trains, that would be a bad one.
  • kle4 said:

saddo said:

Yes. One which is focused on horses.
    HYUFD said:

glw said:

HYUFD said:

Corbyn is the most anti EU Labour leader since Foot. May is more pro EU than IDS and Howard are
    I was about to say something similar, most of the Cabinet are more pro-EU than Corbyn.

kle4 said:

saddo said:

Yes. One which is focused on horses.
    Ah yes, the trains of the 12th century, as no one calls them.
  • kle4 said:

saddo said:

If they ever opened a museum dedicated to Pacer trains, that would be a bad one.
    Coventry has a museum of EMU trains near the airstrip. It’s surprisingly interesting....
  • Apparently Dominic Raab isn't having the best time of it on C4 news right now (as per Twitter).

Apparently Dominic Raab isn't having the best time of it on C4 news right now (as per Twitter).

Channel 4 was doing its official TV channel of the Labour Party stuff and he gave some robust feedback to them.

He was very good.

saddo said:

Parts around Coventry are great. It has a superb Transport Museum. The city though is a testament to the influence of overpowerul architects and urban planners. It’s barren 1950s and 1960s modernism come brutalist. Badly built and aesthetically disappointing.

1939 would have seen a very different, and honestly, significantly more interesting, city.
    I know it's lovely around Cov. It's more about the poor old Channel 4 executives having to move from Islington that'll upset them.
    stevef said:

From my perspective, I have a lot of sympathy with the people who are critical of the EU. The best commentry on the EU was always by the people who advocated for Flexcit, contrasted with the unquestioned and almost fanatical support that a lot of people had for the EU.

But the Brexit vote though was not about Flexcit, nor was it about free trade. It was a popular movement motivated by ending free movement, disregarding international law, and setting up english self rule. It was a crude, nativist rebellion. Taking back control. A lot of politicians, left right (even in the liberal democrats) were happy to ride this wave.
  • About as surprising as finding out jezza didn’t give it a 100% in the eu referendum.
  • nielh said:

stevef said:

From my perspective, I have a lot of sympathy with the people who are critical of the EU. The best commentry on the EU was always by the people who advocated for Flexcit, contrasted with the unquestioned and almost fanatical support that a lot of people had for the EU.

But the Brexit vote though was not about Flexcit, nor was it about free trade. It was a popular movement motivated by ending free movement, disregarding international law, and setting up english self rule. It was a crude, nativist rebellion. Taking back control. A lot of politicians, left right (even in the liberal democrats) were happy to ride this wave.
    Good post.
  • saddo said:

saddo said:

I know it's lovely around Cov. It's more about the poor old Channel 4 executives having to move from Islington that'll upset them.
    Maybe they will just take the BBC’s approach. Not move. It is only what 90 mins to cov on the train.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,952

Jeez, you still peddling this line (lie) that as demolished on a previous thread?

kle4 said:

saddo said:

Coventry has a museum of EMU trains near the airstrip. It’s surprisingly interesting....
    Gutted. First I have heard of this. And it looks like it has closed down forever. Pretty untimely given the city of culture award.

https://electricrailwaymuseum.co.uk/downloads/ERM_Closure_PressRelease.pdf
  • stevef said:

You have very selective memory. A typical Lefty trait I am afraid.

There were also plenty of us who said that although he had undoubtedly been important in actually winning the right to vote in the first place, once that had been provided he was nothing but a liability and the best thing he could do for Leave was to sit in a cupboard for the campaign.. or preferably for ever more.
    Useful, thank you. Seems like some wins for us, more for the EU, and there's plenty of potential for people to blow up and crash everything in the coming months.

You have very selective memory. A typical Lefty trait I am afraid.

There were also plenty of us who said that although he had undoubtedly been important in actually winning the right to vote in the first place, once that had been provided he was nothing but a liability and the best thing he could do for Leave was to sit in a cupboard for the campaign.. or preferably for ever more.

That's true, and it's why Boris backing Leave was considered a coup, as it would take the focus off of Farage who is not many peoples cup of tea.
This discussion has been closed.