Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » For the first time Scots CON leader, RDavidson, hints that Wes

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited December 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » For the first time Scots CON leader, RDavidson, hints that Westminster might be a possiblity

Scots CON leader Ruth Davidson says she would consider standing to be an MP in future. https://t.co/YVUXkiT7Ts

Read the full story here

Comments

• kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,911
    And yet the membership are behind Rees Mogg. If he gets to the final two...
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    Glorious second!
  • She'd win the contest.
  • She's seen today's YouGov Scottish subsample, she knows her work in Scotland is done.

She'd win the contest.

Ruth Davidson belongs in the Lib Dems, and the majority of the membership see her as such. Discuss. Paging HYUFD...
  • When do we find out if woody has won in Alabama?
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,753
    I'm torn, the Scottish Tories will not be half the force they currently are without her but there are so few moderate, sensible, media savvy options available. Currently approximately zero. Her country may need her even more than we do.
  • She'd win the contest.

Her policies appear to be:

1) End WFA in England and Wales but keep it in Scotland
    2) Build endless new towns - locations and financing not revealed

I wouldn't have thought that would appeal to Conservative members.
  • When do we find out if woody has won in Alabama?

Polls close 1am UK.

We might see exit polls just before or just after 1am.

I reckon we'll have a good idea of the result by 3am.

When do we find out if woody has won in Alabama?

I think about 8pm eastern time so will that be 12 or 1am our time? Of course for anyone will ever be able to check the final vote might be in already.

Stuck in a proof again so won't be up at that time for the Ashes. Just might take the gloss off England's 200 run opening partnership tomorrow morning.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,956
    edited December 2017

She'd win the contest.

She's perceived to be a winner.

Who is best placed to win the next general election will be the biggest influencer on Tory members.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517
    DavidL said:

I'm torn, the Scottish Tories will not be half the force they currently are without her but there are so few moderate, sensible, media savvy options available. Currently approximately zero. Her country may need her even more than we do.

"moderate, sensible, media savvy options available. Currently approximately zero."

Rory Stewart.

Moderate: yes
    Sensible: yes
    media savvy: yes

His only downside is that he's a lightweight when it comes to walking. 6,000 miles? Pah. ;)

DavidL said:

"moderate, sensible, media savvy options available. Currently approximately zero."

Rory Stewart.

His only downside is that he's a lightweight when it comes to walking. 6,000 miles? Pah. ;)
    LOL. In fairness it was over some pretty tough terrain. I thought his first book, the Places in between, was remarkable and beautifully written. Never got around to his later efforts.
  • alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    edited December 2017

DavidL said:

Rory Stewart.

Why does Sajid Javid rarely get talked about as potential next leader? Always seems pretty impressive to me, and a fairly decent background story.
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,688
    @josias_jessop

A belated few thoughts from me orphaned on PT
  • She'd win the contest.

Who is best placed to win the next general election will be the biggest influencer on Tory members.
    So policies don't matter now ???

LOL

Davidson is good at opposing but parties don't win general election without policies.
    As Boris Johnson has found since 2014, there is a long route to becoming PM when you are not even an MP, and the mere fact that people mention you as a prospective party leader puts a mahoosive target on your back.

There's actually an important question to answer here: what is her support like within the party's Westminster MPs? Is she well regarded by them, and would enough rally around her standard?

She'd win the contest.

Scottish Parliament election, 2016: Edinburgh Central

Conservative Ruth Davidson 10,399 30.4 Increase 15.4
    SNP Alison Dickie 9,789 28.6 Decrease 4.0
    Labour Sarah Boyack 7,546 22.1 Decrease 9.8
    Scottish Green Alison Johnstone [5] 4,644 13.6 Increase 13.6
    Liberal Democrats Hannah Bettsworth 1,672 4.9 Decrease 15.6
    Libertarian Tom Laird 119 0.3 N/A

One of the more remarkable results outside a by-election in recent times. Previous election the Tories were 4th in that seat.
  • She'd win the contest.

LOL

Davidson is good at opposing but parties don't win general election without policies.
    They do, winners have good policies, it is axiomatic.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

She'd win the contest.

Have there been an openly gay major party leaders before? Another first for the Tories?
  • MetatronMetatron Posts: 193
    Cannot see Ruth Davidson winning the leadership contest when it gets to the rank and file vote.Not clear why she joined the Tories rather than the Lib Dems.Was it really her leadership that led to tory success in Scotland or would it have happened under other leaders?
    Living in England not sure how she is treated by the Scottish media but no question the Westminster media have given her a favourable treatment up to now due to her sexuality.
    That would change if she became the actual PM

She'd win the contest.

May I remind you that the membership once chose Iain Duncan Smith.
  • Charles said:

She'd win the contest.

Have there been an openly gay major party leaders before? Another first for the Tories?
    Would be the first GB wide party leader I think.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,708
    edited December 2017
    kyf_100 said:

She'd win the contest.

Ruth Davidson belongs in the Lib Dems, and the majority of the membership see her as such. Discuss. Paging HYUFD...
    Ruth Davidson is a monarchist and unionist, hence she can be a Tory and not a LD
  • kyf_100 said:

She'd win the contest.

That was in Opposition, when Labour had a 170 odd majority.

The feeling I get from party members is 'Corbyn as PM, not on my watch'
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Rory Stewart.

LOL. In fairness it was over some pretty tough terrain. I thought his first book, the Places in between, was remarkable and beautifully written. Never got around to his later efforts.
    Oi! My walk involved a few thousand miles in Scotland, and we know how rough the natives can be in those parts, especially in the east! ;)

I'll say a little anecdote here. A couple were walking the coast clockwise. The north coast of Scotland is fairy remote, and they got used to being in rural areas. However when they entered Aberdeen, they saw people looking at them oddly. It was only when they stopped that she realise her underwear was hanging off the back of her rucksack, drying.

I had a similar experience. All the way around the north coast, people would say hello and even invite me into their homes. They were incredibly welcoming. But when I reached Aberdeen there was a certain aloofness, a coldness.

The countryside is generally much more welcoming than cities.

And then I reached Dundee ... ;)

But I digress.
  • PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    HYUFD said:

kyf_100 said:

She'd win the contest.

Ruth Davidson is a monarchist and unionist, hence she is a Tory and not a LD
    HYUFD has a problem with logic......
    alex. said:

DavidL said:

Rory Stewart.

Why does Sajid Javid rarely get talked about as potential next leader? Always seems pretty impressive to me, and a fairly decent background story.
    He's been heavily tipped in the past (I think his case was pushed forward by Louise Mensch - herself, in my view, an interesting possible candidate at one time), as has Rory Stewart.

The Tories actually do have strength in depth - there are some really experienced people in their ranks. Labour and the SNP have precisely the opposite issue - their ranks are to be hidden at all costs.
    Metatron said:

Cannot see Ruth Davidson winning the leadership contest when it gets to the rank and file vote.Not clear why she joined the Tories rather than the Lib Dems.Was it really her leadership that led to tory success in Scotland or would it have happened under other leaders?
    Living in England not sure how she is treated by the Scottish media but no question the Westminster media have given her a favourable treatment up to now due to her sexuality.
    That would change if she became the actual PM

Before her they had a well respected leader in Annabel Goldie. They got absolutely nowhere. The chaos of SLAB post Brown has helped but my word has she seized the opportunity with both hands.
    PClipp said:

HYUFD said:

kyf_100 said:

She'd win the contest.

You can be a monarchist and unionist and be a LD, you have to be a monarchist and unionist to be a Tory

Charles said:

She'd win the contest.

Did anyone seriously think Jeremy Thorpe wasn't gay?
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    RobD said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

Scott_P said:
    That should change the betting for next leader and pm
    Haven't read the article but I'll be interested to see what time frame/events she is looking for.

Buggering off from Scotland before the SNP are defeated will look totes bad.
    Yeah, but after an election she can legitimately say it's someone else's turn, unless she becomes FM.
    But her USP is that she's the Hammer of the Nats No To Indy Lady that Rides Tanks.

Being the 3rd Place Behind Unelectable Labour Liberal Immigration Policy Lady That Rides Tanks doesn't seem like a future leader to me.
    I dunno, the Tories are still tainted in Scotland, so I wouldn't blame her for not becoming FM after the next Scottish election.

It's more she could lose her seat (I don't see the greens putting up a candidate against her next one out) and see the SCons fall from 2nd to 3rd.

She'd go from a winner to a double loser. Hardly the best way to convince one of your colleagues to give up their safe Scottish seat so Ruth can go to Westminster.
    Charles said:

She'd win the contest.

Heath was likely the first gay PM but closeted
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,786
    HYUFD said:

kyf_100 said:

She'd win the contest.

Ruth Davidson is a monarchist and unionist, hence she can be a Tory and not a LD
    But she wants to stay in the single market. Surely she fails the HYUFD test for that?
    Omnium said:

@josias_jessop

A belated few thoughts from me orphaned on PT

Replied, thanks.
    DavidL said:

Charles said:

She'd win the contest.

He was probably bisexual
  • kyf_100 said:

She'd win the contest.

That was in Opposition, when Labour had a 170 odd majority.

The feeling I get from party members is 'Corbyn as PM, not on my watch'
    The country might have a different view...
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,557

DavidL said:

Rory Stewart.

His mien of agonised self-doubt doesn't exactly scream mainstream appeal, either.
    And he's just a bit too 19th Century....

Ms Davidson would make a far more electorally solid figurehead.
    "the membership are behind Rees Mogg. If he gets to the final two..."

I nominate that as the Spartan "If" of 2017. The main competition being "If he even stands."

"Ruth Davidson belongs in the Lib Dems, and the majority of the membership see her as such. Discuss."

I was tempted to discuss this by writing out Section 497 of Roget's Thesaurus. I don't think many people who've met Ruth Davidson or heard her speak would recognise her as a natural Lib/Dem. And her speech went down very well indeed when she addressed a large gathering of the Conservative membership in my county (Cumbria) a couple of weeks ago.

kyf_100 said:

She'd win the contest.

That was in Opposition, when Labour had a 170 odd majority...
    No, there is no excuse for having chosen IDS.

• kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    2021 sounds about right - if the Tories maintain their present position in Scotland or even improve further, it won't have been a one off, and she can justifiably seek a Westminster seat after great success, without seeming to have abandoned Holyrood at the first opportunity, as would have been the case had she stood in 2017. She's young enough that the wait will do no harm to her prospects either.

If SLAB regain their position and the Tories go backwards in 2021, then her chances are reduced I'd presume.
    HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

Charles said:

She'd win the contest.

He was probably bisexual
    Probably. He was married twice and had a son but I can't help believing if he had been born a couple of generations later it would have been a lot more straightforward.
    HYUFD said:

PClipp said:

HYUFD said:

kyf_100 said:

She'd win the contest.

You can be a monarchist and unionist and be a LD, you have to be a monarchist and unionist to be a Tory
    That's not true at all.

I'm not a monarchist (slight republican preference), I certainly regard the union as good, but totally optional. I'm a Tory for one reason (boiled down) - smaller government.
  • justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

She'd win the contest.

But if she fails in 2021 and the Tories fall back, that will cease to be true.
  • Nigelb said:

kyf_100 said:

She'd win the contest.

Tell me about it, I voted for Ken.
    edited December 2017
    Omnium said:

HYUFD said:

PClipp said:

HYUFD said:

kyf_100 said:

She'd win the contest.

That's not true at all.

I'm not a monarchist (slight republican preference), I certainly regard the union as good, but totally optional. I'm a Tory for one reason (boiled down) - smaller government.
    Historically the Tories have always been the party of the monarchy and the union. At times, especially in the 19th century and the 1950s it was the Liberals rather than the Tories who were really the party of smaller government, so it is true
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,742
    edited December 2017
    Fpt

Alistair said:

Haven't read the article but I'll be interested to see what time frame/events she is looking for.

Buggering off from Scotland before the SNP are defeated will look totes bad.

Once the mind worm hatches in her head that tells her that she can even more effectively fight the Nats & keep the Union together as PM, her ego will take over. Probably already hatched in fact.
    Metatron said:

.Was it really her leadership that led to tory success in Scotland or would it have happened under other leaders?

Well it's always hard to tell with these things. As long as they go up under her leadership, she will get the credit though, and if that happens the clamour for her to take on a Westminster seat will be immense.
    Nigelb said:

kyf_100 said:

She'd win the contest.

None at all. Especially when the alternative was one of the best PMs we never had (arguably along side Roy Jenkins).
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 24,967
    edited December 2017

She'd win the contest.

LOL

They do, winners have good policies, it is axiomatic.
    So what are Davidson's policies ?

2) Build endless new towns, locations and financing not revealed

Well there's also opposition to Scottish indepedence but that's not going to impress outside of Scotland and to be fair the WFA fiasco was not her idea although she certainly made it worse with the Scottish opt-out (and again she didn't reveal how that was to be financed).

Isn't Davidson rather supportative of Freedom of Movement ie uncontrolled immigration ?

If so her UK relevant policy stance is build endless new towns to house endless immigrants.

Now that might be acceptable in Scotland with lots of empty space and not many immigrants but in England it would be political suicide.
    HYUFD said:

Charles said:

She'd win the contest.

Far more likely ace, I think...
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asexuality

kyf_100 said:

She'd win the contest.

Some thought Cameron was a LD. When a Conservative PM is seen as such, it makes those who deride their own memberships seem more justified, if unwise.

HYUFD said:

kyf_100 said:

She'd win the contest.

But she wants to stay in the single market. Surely she fails the HYUFD test for that?
    No you can be a Tory and support the Single market, Ken Clarke supports it and Dennis Skinner opposes it, even if it is a minority view in the party now the party has officially supported the single market in the past
    HYUFD said:

PClipp said:

HYUFD said:

kyf_100 said:

She'd win the contest.

No. You don't. You really don't. The main virtue of the Tories is they recognise every vote is worth the same
    HYUFD said:

Charles said:

She'd win the contest.

I have trouble with accusations that Heath was gay. Can we be sure he wasn't just asexual?

An anecdote, if I may: at uni I knew a lad who was just not interested in girls. He would come out clubbing with us occasionally, but showed no inclination to pull. I assumed he was gay.

He wasn't. He was asexual. As far as I can tell, neither men or women floated his boat.

As it happens, he's done rather well for himself - probably because all the time and energy that he would have spent on the pull or in relationships has been more productively spent. ;)

Might it be that all the Heath was gay comments come from people who, like me in my stupid youth, presumed people who were not having relationships with members of the opposite sex had to be gay?
    DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

Charles said:

She'd win the contest.

He was probably bisexual
    Probably. He was married twice and had a son but I can't help believing if he had been born a couple of generations later it would have been a lot more straightforward.
    He probably swung both ways but leaned more towards men
    DavidL said:

Charles said:

She'd win the contest.

I *knew* someone would bite. Just disappointed it was you....

major party leader
  • RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

kyf_100 said:

She'd win the contest.

None at all. Especially when the alternative was one of the best PMs we never had (arguably along side Roy Jenkins).
    Clarke's pigheadedness on Europe ruled him out of the leadership. Not a great quality in a Tory leader.

Roy Jenkins? The last thing Britain needed in the 60s and 70s was more snobbish champagne socialism.

Denis Healey on the other hand...
  • foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

HYUFD said:

Charles said:

She'd win the contest.

I have trouble with accusations that Heath was gay. Can we be sure he wasn't just asexual?

An anecdote, if I may: at uni I knew a lad who was just not interested in girls. He would come out clubbing with us occasionally, but showed no inclination to pull. I assumed he was gay.

He wasn't. He was asexual. As far as I can tell, neither men or women floated his boat.

As it happens, he's done rather well for himself - probably because all the time and energy that he would have spent on the pull or in relationships has been more productively spent. ;)

Might it be that all the Heath was gay comments come from people who, like me in my stupid youth, presumed people who were not having relationships with members of the opposite sex had to be gay?
    I am with you on this one.

Heath seemed in love with himself, and attracted to no one else.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    Balls, my workplace cocked up my executive club number and all of my work flights haven't been accruing TPs. Which means I'll be down to silver next year. :/
  • DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

kyf_100 said:

She'd win the contest.

But who wanted the UK to join the single currency.
    edited December 2017

<

Once the mind worm hatches in her head that tells her that she can even more effectively fight the Nats & keep the Union together as PM, her ego will take over. Probably already hatched in fact.

The temptation will be huge. I wouldn't be surprised if some are already suggesting, should the 2021 elections in Holyrood go well, that she be made leader after that, (I'm sure someone could be persuaded to stand down in a by-election if they needed to) and lead the Tories into 2022. But it is a long way off, and no guarantee she will remain popular. Though as TSE notes, you can get away with a lot that in theory the members should reject, if you are popular enough.

HYUFD said:

Charles said:

She'd win the contest.

No, Ann Widdecombe is likely asexual for example but there have been enough reports of Heath being warned for cottaging by party officials and of entertaining young men on Morning Cloud to make it likely he was a closeted homosexual
  • alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    Omnium said:

alex. said:

DavidL said:

Rory Stewart.

He's been heavily tipped in the past (I think his case was pushed forward by Louise Mensch - herself, in my view, an interesting possible candidate at one time), as has Rory Stewart.

The Tories actually do have strength in depth - there are some really experienced people in their ranks. Labour and the SNP have precisely the opposite issue - their ranks are to be hidden at all costs.
    Thanks, just wondered if there was any reason why he isn't a bit more than an outsider. Northerner, pretty humble roots, Oxford, pretty impressive business CV before politics, and has held several Cabinet posts just below the top rank. Dealt pretty well with Grenfell.

Compared with the 'favourites' he looks like a shoo-in.

HYUFD said:

Omnium said:

HYUFD said:

PClipp said:

HYUFD said:

kyf_100 said:

She'd win the contest.

That's not true at all.

Historically the Tories have always been the party of the monarchy and the union. At times, especially in the 19th century and the 1950s it was the Liberals rather than the Tories who were really the party of smaller government, so it is true
    You're really going to make me write that damn thread aren't you?
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,953
    edited December 2017
    Ruth can be pragmatic on the Brexit deal that May secures.

Or she can be like Ken Clarke - and end her Westminster career punting for some impossible European dream. I hope the former, as she would scare to death both Labour and (especially) the LibDems.
  • RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    MaxPB said:

Balls, my workplace cocked up my executive club number and all of my work flights haven't been accruing TPs. Which means I'll be down to silver next year. :/

I think we have a new contender for best first world problem :tongue:
  • Totally off topic...I remember the hype over the wii and your granny playing it, but I didn’t realise the switch was doing well.

Switch could even top first-year sales of the Wii, the company's best-selling console yet -- if momentum holds up through the holidays.
  • RoyalBlue said:

MaxPB said:

Only on PB.com....
    HYUFD said:

Omnium said:

HYUFD said:

PClipp said:

HYUFD said:

kyf_100 said:

She'd win the contest.

That's not true at all.

I wouldn't dispute that. The Liberals have long gone awol from those ideas though.
    Charles said:

HYUFD said:

PClipp said:

HYUFD said:

kyf_100 said:

She'd win the contest.

No. You don't. You really don't. The main virtue of the Tories is they recognise every vote is worth the same
    On that basis a Communist could be a Tory, plus of course it was not true as Wellington opposed expanding the franchise as PM before the likes of Disraeli supported it
  • MaxPB said:

Can you try ringing up and providing details ?
    edited December 2017
    Omnium said:

HYUFD said:

Omnium said:

HYUFD said:

PClipp said:

HYUFD said:

kyf_100 said:

She'd win the contest.

That's not true at all.

I wouldn't dispute that. The Liberals have long gone awol from those ideas though.
    Not Orange Bookers like Laws

MaxPB said:

Someone is going to try tomorrow. All of that hassle going via Heathrow for nothing if it doesn't work though.
  • RoyalBlue said:

MaxPB said:

The sense of having lost out because of someone else's mistake is universal.
    Charles said:

HYUFD said:

Omnium said:

HYUFD said:

PClipp said:

HYUFD said:

kyf_100 said:

She'd win the contest.

That's not true at all.

You're really going to make me write that damn thread aren't you?
    If you insist
    Trump exceeds his own previous peaks of utter arseness...
    https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/940567812053053441
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Someone is going to try tomorrow. All of that hassle going via Heathrow for nothing if it doesn't work though.
    If you still have the stubs (flight number/seat assignment) you should be good.
    edited December 2017

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

kyf_100 said:

She'd win the contest.

But who wanted the UK to join the single currency.
    No one's perfect
  • HYUFD said:

Charles said:

She'd win the contest.

Wasn't it said of Pitt that he was stiff with everybody except the ladies?
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Charles said:

She'd win the contest.

No, Ann Widdecombe is likely asexual for example but there have been enough reports of Heath being warned for cottaging by party officials and of entertaining young men on Morning Cloud to make it likely he was a closeted homosexual
    Hmmm. I try to take Westminster rumours with more than a pinch of salt - as was seen with the awful way rumours swirled around McAlpine.

I don't always succeed, though ... ;)
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,755
    DavidL said:

She'd win the contest.

One of the more remarkable results outside a by-election in recent times. Previous election the Tories were 4th in that seat.
    She deserves a great deal of credit.

But the SCons also hit a sweet spot. They became the party of choice for voters who were pro-Union and anti-EU, enabling them to sweep the Borders and North East.
  • MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,281
    EU Withdrawal Bill - Day 6 - 1st vote of the night:

293 - 315

Par for the course so far

Nigelb said:

Lightweight Senator Kirsten Gillibrand, a total flunky for Chuck Schumer and someone who would come to my office “begging” for campaign contributions not so long ago (and would do anything for them), is now in the ring fighting against Trump. Very disloyal to Bill & Crooked-USED!

Oh gods! He talks about himself in the third person?

Seriously though, what a tremendous arse he is. And if Trump read that, no doubt he's think it a compliment to his tremendous ass.

Ruth can be pragmatic on the Brexit deal that May secures.

Or she can be like Ken Clarke - and end her Westminster career punting for some impossible European dream. I hope the former, as she would scare to death both Labour and (especially) the LibDems.

I think Ruth is extremely pragmatic. Some of the things she is being questioned about are a direct result of the Scottish context in which she operates. We could actually do with some immigration, for example.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,840
    MikeL said:

EU Withdrawal Bill - Day 6 - 1st vote of the night:

293 - 315

Par for the course so far

May has the Tory remainers, the hard brexiters and the DUP on board right now. No chance of any commons votes failing.
  • HYUFD said:

Charles said:

She'd win the contest.

Josias, on the information I have assiduously gathered from numerous unreliable sources, I should say you are half-right.

Yes, there are certainly people who are asexual in the way you describe. No, Heath wasn't one of them.
    Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

She'd win the contest.

But the SCons also hit a sweet spot. They became the party of choice for voters who were pro-Union and anti-EU, enabling them to sweep the Borders and North East.
    I was looking at the Scottish Borders Council website, and there I learn that apparently it isn't SCON, it's SCUP. News to me.
    RobD said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Oh good I should have them all somewhere.
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Lightweight Senator Kirsten Gillibrand, a total flunky for Chuck Schumer and someone who would come to my office “begging” for campaign contributions not so long ago (and would do anything for them), is now in the ring fighting against Trump. Very disloyal to Bill & Crooked-USED!

Seriously though, what a tremendous arse he is. And if Trump read that, no doubt he's think it a compliment to his tremendous ass.
    Let me rephrase, then.
    He's a flaming haemorrhoid.
    HYUFD said:

Charles said:

HYUFD said:

PClipp said:

HYUFD said:

kyf_100 said:

She'd win the contest.

On that basis a Communist could be a Tory, plus of course it was not true as Wellington opposed expanding the franchise as PM before the likes of Disraeli supported it
    So long as they vote Tory that all that matters.

On topic: is Ruth Davidson the new Abigail Masham?
    Oof, looking at some of those seats SCON won in 2017, its remarkable how much SLD declined in so many seats from what were already steep declines in in 2015. Very efficient voting for their overall percentage, but take Berwickshire as an example - from 45% to less than 5%, losing almost 15% between 2015 and 2017.
    MaxPB said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Oh good I should have them all somewhere.
    I've definitely added past flights before, but your situation might be different if they have been credited to someone else's account. Still, they won't want to piss off (too much) a loyal customer, so I imagine they'll help you out.
  • kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

She'd win the contest.

I was looking at the Scottish Borders Council website, and there I learn that apparently it isn't SCON, it's SCUP. News to me.
    Its entirely possible that it was me who started the SCON and SLAB shorthand.

Though I'm suspect someone else did it sometime, somewhere first.
    RobD said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

I think only for 3 months but if you phone up BA and talk to them they may help
  • Lord Rosebery was rumoured to be gay. The evidence is inconclusive.
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

I really can't abide Trump but I am having a little difficulty in working out why accusing a politician of being willing to do anything for donations is "slut shaming" her. Would it be thought that is what he meant if he was talking about a man?

The man is a total arse and there is no need to try and contrive offence. He produces enough genuine affronts without inventing them.
  • hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591
    Brilliant graffiti on a large plywood board in town today: "Theresa May, Media and Establishment against me, you and Jeremy Corbyn. Vote Labour"! - made me chuckle.
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    On topic. Help us Obi-Ruth Davidson. You're our only hope...
    HYUFD said:

Omnium said:

HYUFD said:

Omnium said:

HYUFD said:

PClipp said:

HYUFD said:

kyf_100 said:

She'd win the contest.

That's not true at all.

Not Orange Bookers like Laws
    Ok, so I'd like to respond to this, but I don't entirely see what you're saying.

'Orange Book' seems to be just social libralism, and I imagine 'Laws' is David Laws?

Assuming so, then I don't regard him as far from the old 'Liberal' tradition. Cable though is very far from it.
This discussion has been closed.