Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Making Amber Rudd Tory Leader & Prime Minister might be the on

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited December 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Making Amber Rudd Tory Leader & Prime Minister might be the only way to ensure she holds her seat.

if("undefined"==typeof window.datawrapper)window.datawrapper={};window.datawrapper["6bUkU"]={},window.datawrapper["6bUkU"].embedDeltas={"100":668,"200":460,"300":408,"400":382,"500":382,"600":356,"700":356,"800":356,"900":356,"1000":356},window.datawrapper["6bUkU"].iframe=document.getElementById("datawrapper-chart-6bUkU"),window.datawrapper["6bUkU"].iframe.style.height=window.datawrapper["6bUkU"].embedDeltas[Math.min(1e3,Math.max(100*Math.floor(window.datawrapper["6bUkU"].iframe.offsetWidth/100),100))]+"px",window.addEventListener("message",function(a){if("undefined"!=typeof a.data["datawrapper-height"])for(var b in a.data["datawrapper-height"])if("6bUkU"==b)window.datawrapper["6bUkU"].iframe.style.height=a.data["datawrapper-height"][b]+"px"});

Read the full story here

Comments

• dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    edited December 2017
    First. Still fail to see the record of achievement of Ms Rudd. Last Remainer standing, is not much of a recommendation. Failing to say anything to offend may be one.
    Is that enough?
    And that is without her previous business career.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,787
    May we assume your betting book says "Rudd, Amber - Green"?
  • justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    There was NOT a swing to the Tories at Bexley in 1966 - his majority was effectively halved from 4500 in 1964 to just 2300 - a swing to Labour of circa 2.25%.
  • May we assume your betting book says "Rudd, Amber - Green"?

I was laying her until she hired Sir Lynton Crosby, then I reverse ferreted.
  • justin124 said:

There was NOT a swing to the Tories at Bexley in 1966 - his majority was effectively halved from 4500 in 1964 to just 2300 - a swing to Labour of circa 2.25%.

Oops. I’ll fix that now.
    Bexley 1964
    ERG Heath Conservative 25,716 47.39%
    LL Reeves Labour 21,127 38.93%
    PL McArthur Liberal 6,161 11.35%
    J Paul Anti-Common Market League 1,263 2.33%

Bexley 1966
    ERG Heath Conservative 26,377 48.11%
    RL Butler Labour 24,044 43.86%
    RF Lloyd Liberal 4,405 8.03%
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,741
    Bloody comment swallowing threads.

justin124 said:

TSE
    The figures shown for Heath at Bexley in 1966 are wrong! His majority in the 1966 election was halved to circa 2300 compared with circa 4500 in 1964. There was a swing to Labour there of over 2%.

Wasn't that rather famously due to the Communist candidate standing down?
    There was a fourth candidate in 1964 but he was (a) not a Communist (or at least not officially) and (b) only polled 2.3% of the vote, hardly explaining a five-point rise for Labour in 1966. However, Heath's vote rose as well - it was the Liberal vote that was seriously squeezed.

May we assume your betting book says "Rudd, Amber - Green"?

I was laying her until she hired Sir Lynton Crosby, then I reverse ferreted.
    TMI, TSE...
  • The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    edited December 2017
    The Sun are reporting that Brexiteers in the cabinet want to scrap the working time directive. And the Tories want to win over the 35-45 age group, apparently....
  • maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    Rudd will be the next Mark Clarke, with huge cheers at most Tory gatherings when she loses.
  • The brazen dishonesty of this is quite something ...
    https://twitter.com/sunpolitics/status/942167511553970176

The brazen dishonesty of this is quite something ...

Wish somebody would pay me overtime.

This last week I have worked 89 hours.

If that were paid at 150% of salary, I would be able to retire in about three years.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    Given that individual workers can opt out (as I understand it), why are they pushing for this?
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,957
    edited December 2017
    RobD said:

Given that individual workers can opt out (as I understand it), why are they pushing for this?
    Because Gove has an allergy to all things EU related.
    RobD said:

So that those who don't wish to opt out can be required to? Just a guess.
  • RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    RobD said:

How else are we going to get the fruit picked?
    Negotiations should be quick then, if they aren’t going to negotiate anything....
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    LOL, let’s make Amber PM to help her hold her own seat. Err, no, let’s not.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,787
    RobD said:

Negotiations should be quick then, if they aren’t going to negotiate anything....
    We're negotiating what we're going to negotiate.
  • RobD said:

It’s always been pretty obvious that Tory Brexiteers see Brexit as an opportunity to remove rights from employees. This story merely confirms it.

• BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,979
    RobD said:

If it is a choice between Canada and Norway, the negotiations with the EU will be quick, but the negotiations within the Tory party will be agonisingly long.

RobD said:

It’s always been pretty obvious that Tory Brexiteers see Brexit as an opportunity to remove rights from employees. This story merely confirms it.

We’ll see what happens. I suspect nothing much will be changed when the law is transposed. For what happens in the future, that’s down to our newly-sovereign Parliament ;)
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Can't believe nobody mentioned that during the campaign

Oh, wait...
    edited December 2017
    Scott_P said:

Oh, wait...
    Perhaps it should have been on a bus? :p
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Oh, wait...
    Perhaps it should have been on a bus? :p
    Bus stories about Brexit can now be taken as red.

I'll get my coat.
  • RobD said:

• It's not vote increase, but swing that matters and in three cases the swing was against the sitting PM.
  • RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

RobD said:

Good point. I think that this one has floated to the surface first is simply that it is an answer to the 'who will do the jobs the immigrants are doing?'. The existing workers will have to work longer hours to fill the gap. Anyone expecting that new jobs will be created for British workers will be disappointed.
  • RobD said:

Good point. I think that this one has floated to the surface first is simply that it is an answer to the 'who will do the jobs the immigrants are doing?'. The existing workers will have to work longer hours to fill the gap. Anyone expecting that new jobs will be created for British workers will be disappointed.
    How do we get the natives to work for these pitiful wages when they weren't prepared to previously? That's the challenge. A huge hike in the minimum wage is the only solution I can think of. But the Tory Right would be appalled.
    W.r.t. the Sun story. Does anyone know what % of UK employees are paid hourly/salary. How many of them would get time and a half, and benefit from "the overtime bonanza?" Cheers in advance. Tried to Google but could only get US figures.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    edited December 2017
    Being PM does not guarantee you will hold your seat, as John Howard found out in 2007 in Australia.

However I do agree a Rudd v Davis, an aligner v a diverger, is the most likely choice Tory MPs will put before the Tory membership when May finally steps down before the next general election.
  • https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2017/12/toffs-jungle-victory-shows-that-millennials-are-deep-down-still-conservative/

The Spectator really has declined in quality massively since Brexit. This piece is on par with UnHerd’s articles on millennials and communism. Too many of these commentators really don’t get young people.
  • The French sailor François Gabart has broken the record for sailing solo around the world, circumnavigating the planet in 42 days and 16 hours.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/dec/17/french-sailor-francois-gabart-fastest-solo-circumnavigation

And I bet he didn't even bring a fridge magnet back from his trip....
    williamglenn is Garvan Walshe and I claim my 5p.
    No, in fact the deal ensures no hard Brexit
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,958

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2017/12/toffs-jungle-victory-shows-that-millennials-are-deep-down-still-conservative/

The Spectator really has declined in quality massively since Brexit. This piece is on par with UnHerd’s articles on millennials and communism. Too many of these commentators really don’t get young people.

Or, er, maybe you don't speak for as many as you'd like to think?

Just a theory.....
  • HYUFD said:

Being PM does not guarantee you will hold your seat, as John Howard found out in 2007 in Australia.

However I do agree a Rudd v Davis, an aligner v a diverger, is the most likely choice Tory MPs will put before the Tory membership when May finally steps down before the next general election.

I thought Johnson was a certainty. Or was it Mogg? It’s hard to keep up with certain uncertainty. It is it uncertain certainty?
    Wrong. Canada is the most popular choice of voters for the UK post Brexit with 50% supportive and 24% opposed, the Norway option is opposed by 38% to 35% and hard Brexit opposed by 44% to 32%.

The FTA that ends free movement that Canada offers is the only option that respects the vote and gets a trade deal with the EU too.

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2016/08/18/majority-people-think-freedom-movement-fair-price-/
  • HYUFD said:

Wrong. Canada is the most popular choice of voters for the UK post Brexit with 50% supportive and 24% opposed, the Norway option is opposed by 38% to 35% and hard Brexit opposed by 44% to 32%.

The FTA that ends free movement that Canada offers is the only option that respects the vote and gets a trade deal with the EU too.

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2016/08/18/majority-people-think-freedom-movement-fair-price-/
    One day you'll understand why Canada deal will be a disaster for the financial services industry, you know the largest contributor to the Exchequer.

I'll give you a clue, the Leaver in Stoke will be pissed as hell when the government cancels his tax credits because the Treasury doesn't have the funds to pay them.
  • HYUFD said:

I thought Johnson was a certainty. Or was it Mogg? It’s hard to keep up with certain uncertainty. It is it uncertain certainty?
    It was Boris, then it was Mogg, then it was DD.

Soon it'll be some other Leaver that HYUFD is certain about.
  • dixiedean said:

W.r.t. the Sun story. Does anyone know what % of UK employees are paid hourly/salary. How many of them would get time and a half, and benefit from "the overtime bonanza?" Cheers in advance. Tried to Google but could only get US figures.

In my last job the overtime rate was time and a quarter for the first 5 hours and time and a third above that. It was never hugely tempting really.
  • https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2017/12/toffs-jungle-victory-shows-that-millennials-are-deep-down-still-conservative/

Or, er, maybe you don't speak for as many as you'd like to think?

Just a theory.....
    I think the recent election results rather challenges that theory (and I didn’t even vote Labour).

Although if IIRC you implied that young people would be too busy playing PlayStation to turn out to vote, so maybe it’s not me who needs to think about how in touch they are with young people’s views.

HYUFD said:

Uh oh. Canada would be a disaster.

twitter.com/prospect_clark/status/942401945016393728

One day you'll understand why Canada deal will be a disaster for the financial services industry, you know the largest contributor to the Exchequer.

I'll give you a clue, the Leaver in Stoke will be pissed as hell when the government cancels his tax credits because the Treasury doesn't have the funds to pay them.
    I'm amazed that the EU were able to negotiate a deal with Canada that didn't look like any of their previous deals. I wonder if they'll discover that ability again? :p

Ending the 48 hour maximum week would mean you can work longer than that if you want to earn more money and you agree in your contract, it does not mean all UK workers will have to work over 48 hours a week.
  • RobD said:

HYUFD said:

I'm amazed that the EU were able to negotiate a deal with Canada that didn't look like any of their previous deals. I wonder if they'll discover that ability again? :p
    How long has it taken to negotiate the Canada deal?

Does it cover financial services ?

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

How long has it taken to negotiate the Canada deal?

Does it cover financial services ?
    I was more talking about the EU's apparent inability to negotiate anything other than two types of deal.
    edited December 2017

HYUFD said:

The majority of voters in the Midlands and Wales and the North who voted Leave did not do so to keep free movement and protect the City, they did so to end free movement largely and control immigration from the EU and especially Eastern Europe. A FTA which ends free movement and keeps tariffs low on manufacturing exports to the EU, manufacturing being an industry where a significant number of them work is fine by them.

London where the City is based voted Remain but lost. We are going to have to accept that London's huge lead over the rest of the country and particularly the country beyond the Home Counties, in terms of wages and house prices etc is going to narrow post Brexit, that is democracy tough. I expect Paris will narrow the gap with London as the main European financial sector over the next few years but I still expect London to stay ahead.

It is also tax cuts for low and middle income workers we need, not more tax credits.
  • Politicians don't really understand this internet thingy do they...

Ban sale of mini mobile phones, justice secretary says

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-42383351

The solution is mobile signal blocking. You can then have people shove as many mini-mobiles up their arse and it will do them no good at all.
  • Politicians don't really understand this internet thingy do they...

The solution is mobile signal blocking. You can then have people shove as many mini-mobiles up their arse and it will do them no good at all.

LOL. This reminds me of when schools want to ‘ban’ mobile phones.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517

The French sailor François Gabart has broken the record for sailing solo around the world, circumnavigating the planet in 42 days and 16 hours.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/dec/17/french-sailor-francois-gabart-fastest-solo-circumnavigation

What are the rules for circumnavigation by boat? You could just sail around Antarctica and therefore 'go around the world', so I assume that you have to go over the Equator?

HYUFD said:

If Mogg or Boris got to the membership they would have a good chance but it is Davis and Rudd who likely have the most support from Tory MPs.
  • The French sailor François Gabart has broken the record for sailing solo around the world, circumnavigating the planet in 42 days and 16 hours.

What are the rules for circumnavigation by boat? You could just sail around Antarctica and therefore 'go around the world', so I assume that you have to go over the Equator?
    I am guessing there are very specific rules.
    edited December 2017

HYUFD said:

It was Boris, then it was Mogg, then it was DD.

Soon it'll be some other Leaver that HYUFD is certain about.
    Whichever of those 3 Leavers gets to the membership will likely win the leadership in my view, probably with Rudd their opponent as she is now the lead Remainer, however at the moment it looks like Davis will be that man.
  • HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

If Mogg or Boris got to the membership they would have a good chance but it is Davis and Rudd who likely have the most support from Tory MPs.
    I think Mogg would win the membership, but I don’t see Tory MPs nominating him. I think they’ll nominate someone like Hunt, or maybe one of the 2015/17 intake of Tories.

Politicians don't really understand this internet thingy do they...

Politicians and technology again. Don’t they have any technologists advising them at all? Maybe I should ask the government if they want to employ one...
  • YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

Well the UK will be restricting porn from next year .I guess they think the age verification over 18 s will work.As many would not want to provide credit card details.http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40628909
    Ignoring Douglas - Home from 1964 - because he had not been a candidate in 1959 - there is not a single instance from the table of swing going against the trend for a new leader - though the magnitude may be affected in that the new leader appears to overperform the average national swing. Interesting to see,however, that that did not happen in Thatcher's case in 1979 when the 4.7% swing in her favour in Finchley was below the 5.3% national swing.

The French sailor François Gabart has broken the record for sailing solo around the world, circumnavigating the planet in 42 days and 16 hours.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Around_the_world_sailing_record
    The records are homologated by the World Sailing Speed Record Council (WSSRC).[1]

According to the WSSRC, for around the world sailing records, there is a rule saying that the length must be at least 21,600 nmi calculated along the shortest possible track from the starting port and back that does not cross land and does not go below 63°S. The great-circle distance formulas are to be used, assuming that the great circle length is 21,600 nmi. It is allowed to have one single waypoint to lengthen the calculated track. The equator must be crossed.[2] In reality, this means that the boat should pass a waypoint at or not far from the antipode of the starting port of the journey (the exact position depends on how short the shortest possible track is). For example, the Vendée Globe starts at 46°N 2°W, has a waypoint at 57°S 180°E, and barely makes the distance requirement. The participants don't have to go to the antipode at 46°S 178°E since the rounding of Africa gives extra distance.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited December 2017
    Sandpit said:

Politicians and technology again. Don’t they have any technologists advising them at all? Maybe I should ask the government if they want to employ one...
    Saying that, it isn't just politicians. The number of absolute horseshit articles I read about AI / Machine Learning in mainstream publications....
  • Yorkcity said:

Well the UK will be restricting porn from next year .I guess they think the age verification over 18 s will work.As many would not want to provide credit card details.http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40628909
    I wouldn’t be surprised to see people get past that. There’s gifs of porn on tumblr for example - how are they going to apply age verification to that?
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,958
    Something for Sunil to book for his holidays:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-42384814

It looks like there are - see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Around_the_world_sailing_record

It's amazing to think how the times have improved - the eastbound record in 1997 was 71 days, the latest earlier this year was just 40. The westbound record is 122 days!
    edited December 2017

Sandpit said:

Saying that, it isn't just politicians. The number of absolute horseshit articles I read about AI / Machine Learning in mainstream publications....
    Or cryptocurrency in recent weeks.

The point I keep making is that when we see a news story about something complicated that we have knowledge about and immediately call bullshit on it, what does that say about the other 99% of news where we are supposed to rely on them to inform us?

It looks like there are - see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Around_the_world_sailing_record

It's amazing to think how the times have improved - the eastbound record in 1997 was 71 days, the latest earlier this year was just 40. The westbound record is 122 days!
    I think I will give it a miss thanks :-)

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I think Mogg would win the membership, but I don’t see Tory MPs nominating him. I think they’ll nominate someone like Hunt, or maybe one of the 2015/17 intake of Tories.
    Rudd is now the clear Remainer candidate amongst Tory MPs, Davis the clear Leave candidate amongst Tory MPs, Hunt was a Remainer who says he is now a Leaver but policy wise is really little different from Rudd on Brexit now.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263
    HYUFD said:

View with caution. (a) it's from 16 months ago. (b) It depends on voters understanding the explanation of YouGov's description of the Canada and Norway options (c) The same poll rejected any British contribution to the EU (never mind £40 billion or whatever), though it's not clear if this meant up-front or ongoing contributions.

I think a lot of people vaguely feel they'd rather be like Canada (big, independent-minded) than Norway (small, prospering but clearly not very independent). I doub t if most people have seriously weighed up EFTA vs NAFTA. But there are too many unknowns for most people to give a meaningful answer to a snap poll - how much trade disruption do we accept, with what consequences? What constraints on movement? What degree of regulatory identity? etc.
    edited December 2017

HYUFD said:

View with caution. (a) it's from 16 months ago. (b) It depends on voters understanding the explanation of YouGov's description of the Canada and Norway options (c) The same poll rejected any British contribution to the EU (never mind £40 billion or whatever), though it's not clear if this meant up-front or ongoing contributions.

I think a lot of people vaguely feel they'd rather be like Canada (big, independent-minded) than Norway (small, prospering but clearly not very independent). I doub t if most people have seriously weighed up EFTA vs NAFTA. But there are too many unknowns for most people to give a meaningful answer to a snap poll - how much trade disruption do we accept, with what consequences? What constraints on movement? What degree of regulatory identity? etc.
    The key dividing line is free movement though, voters were quite clear in that poll that leaving free movement in place a la Norway would not respect the Leave vote. Most saw regulatory alignment as still respecting the Leave vote. They were opposed to payments but £39 billion is still less than £100 billion or even £50 billion could have been.

Yorkcity said:

I wouldn’t be surprised to see people get past that. There’s gifs of porn on tumblr for example - how are they going to apply age verification to that?
    It says companies breaking the rules set out in the Digital Economy Act face been blocked by their internet provider.I do not know how feasible that will be.

Yorkcity said:

The idea that government can somehow regulate porn off the Internet is as silly as it is futile. Twitter and Tumblr can’t keep porn off their own sites, while Facebook go the other way and delete photos of statues and discussion groups about cancer awareness.

Meanwhile all the teenagers will know how to use VPNs and proxy servers in no time at all.

twitter.com/jonathanliew/status/942365439195152385

What was the media vilification about? I'm not sure anything can logically culminate into racist abuse.

I think I will give it a miss thanks :-)
    Nah. You know you really want to do it. Just make sure your satphone has Internet access so you can keep on posting to PB. ;)
  • Good afternoon, everyone.

Mr. Sandpit, well, quite.

Reminds me of when Sniff Petrol (think Top Gear meets F1) had an orange background and some filters blocked it because the amount of orange pressed the 'must be lots of bare flesh here' button.
    edited December 2017
    RobD said:

What was the media vilification about? I'm not sure anything can logically culminate into racist abuse.
    One racist moron turned up outside the training ground to throw a metaphorical banana at Sterling, and the media go mad and start blaming themselves. It was just one racist moron, which is a heck of a lot fewer than used to turn up at football grounds every weekend.
  • Sandpit said:

Yorkcity said:

The idea that government can somehow regulate porn off the Internet is as silly as it is futile. Twitter and Tumblr can’t keep porn off their own sites, while Facebook go the other way and delete photos of statues and discussion groups about cancer awareness.

Meanwhile all the teenagers will know how to use VPNs and proxy servers in no time at all.
    Agreed. Facebook are ridiculous btw.
  • The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    Sandpit said:

Yorkcity said:

I think it is a terrible policy to start trying to make people verify their age. Who in their right mind would give personal details/ credit card numbers to a porn website? I certainly would not. As people have said ingenious individuals will always find ways around it. Porn has been around since photography became available to the masses. It really makes me mad that some prudish members of the government want to make it harder to find porn. Besides before the internet I remember as a teenager finding pornographic magazines with the pages stuck together in fields- do we really want to go back to that as a society? I would rather people looked at porn in their own environment without polluting the landscape with cast offs.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    Sandpit said:

RobD said:

One racist moron turned up outside the training ground to throw a metaphorical banana at Sterling, and the media go mad and start blaming themselves. It was just one racist moron, which is a heck of a lot fewer than used to turn up at football grounds every weekend.
    Hopefully they find him and ban him from attending any more matches. There is no room for that kind of behaviour in our society.
  • HYUFD said:

Ending the 48 hour maximum week would mean you can work longer than that if you want to earn more money and you agree in your contract, it does not mean all UK workers will have to work over 48 hours a week.
    You can already do that under the current rules. This change is completely meaningless from the point of view of allowing employees more freedom.
  • All that shows is we have some stupid fecking laws that need changing.
    edited December 2017

Porn has been around since photography became available to the massespaintbrushes were invented. It really makes me mad that some prudish members of the government want to make it harder to find porn. Besides before the internet I remember as a teenager finding pornographic magazines with the pages stuck together in fields- do we really want to go back to that as a society? I would rather people looked at porn in their own environment without polluting the landscape with cast offs.

Fixed the first part.

Please tell me the double entendres were not deliberate.
  • HYUFD said:

I guess this is why The Sun felt it could so brazenly lie.

• tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164
    RobD said:

Basically he gave an interview that didn’t make him look great.

https://tinyurl.com/yclww8ty
    Sandpit said:

Yorkcity said:

True and even if they did not , they might try to use their parents or older siblings credit card details.
    edited December 2017
    MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

Hopefully they find him and ban him from attending any more matches. There is no room for that kind of behaviour in our society.
    Of course. One racist moron is still one too many, even if huge progress has been made since the days of John Barnes being pelted with bananas.
    Actually it is a law I support.

It is designed to stop every unaccredited Tom, Dick, and Harry trying to pass themselves of as official or approved.

For example you cannot have 'Chemist' in your business name without approval from The General Pharmaceutical Council.
  • rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,881

HYUFD said:

You can already do that under the current rules. This change is completely meaningless from the point of view of allowing employees more freedom.
    If the Tories think they can scrap the directive and make it so that employers can force employees to work overtime or risk the sack then I think they are destined for a long period of opposition.
    ydoethur said:

Porn has been around since photography became available to the massespaintbrushes were invented. It really makes me mad that some prudish members of the government want to make it harder to find porn. Besides before the internet I remember as a teenager finding pornographic magazines with the pages stuck together in fields- do we really want to go back to that as a society? I would rather people looked at porn in their own environment without polluting the landscape with cast offs.

Fixed the first part.

Please tell me the double entendres were not deliberate.
    They were not deliberate!
    Actually it is a law I support.

It is designed to stop every unaccredited Tom, Dick, and Harry trying to pass themselves of as official or approved.

For example you cannot have 'Chemist' in your business name without approval from The General Pharmaceutical Council.
    Institute does not imply official or approved. Its official definition is 'an organisation founded to promote a cause'. It is bloody ridiculous that the state can decide what constitutes an institute and what does not. All it reveals is that whoever proposed and passed that law was too fecking lazy to read a dictionary.

Your comparison with 'Chemist' is fatuous.
  • rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,881
    HYUFD said:

https://www.gov.uk/maximum-weekly-working-hours
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,770

All that shows is we have some stupid fecking laws that need changing.
    If I remember rightly, there's a list of about a dozen words you're not allowed to use in company names without good reason. So, you can't call yourself "John Smith Trading (International) Ltd." unless you actually are international in some way, shape or form.

I don't know if "Institute" in on the list. If it is, it would be interesting to know what the requirements are to be one.

It's also possible they've fallen foul of the "trading under then name of" rules, which limit your ability to be John Smith Ltd, trading under the name of IBM.
  • As the King of Heroes, and Lord of Men, I agree that we must stop guttersnipes using terms, title and affections to which they're not entitled. That's not something you would catch the Lord High Tipster (ie myself) doing.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    Sandpit said:

RobD said:

There's probably plenty of racist morons who still turn up, but thankfully they are less, and even most morons will know to keep their traps shut.
    Well, they didn't get a mandate for that manifesto so I guess it's junked?

Whatever the purported positives, however, I cannot see a minority government selling such an idea to the public.
    ydoethur said:

Fixed the first part.

I doubt humanity waited until we had paintbrushes - hand daubed images sufficient with plenty of imagination.

Personally I think the proper way to enjoy porn is via the medium of scrimshaw, but it's hard to find these days

https://jezebel.com/5992178/vancouver-women-complains-that-museums-whale-bone-porn-is-tickling-too-many-moby-dicks
  • rcs1000 said:

All that shows is we have some stupid fecking laws that need changing.
    If I remember rightly, there's a list of about a dozen words you're not allowed to use in company names without good reason. So, you can't call yourself "John Smith Trading (International) Ltd." unless you actually are international in some way, shape or form.

I don't know if "Institute" in on the list. If it is, it would be interesting to know what the requirements are to be one.

It's also possible they've fallen foul of the "trading under then name of" rules, which limit your ability to be John Smith Ltd, trading under the name of IBM.
    135 Words/Terms on Annex A

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/incorporation-and-names/annex-a-sensitive-words-and-expressions-or-words-that-could-imply-a-connection-with-government

28 Words/Terms on Annex B

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/incorporation-and-names/annex-b-words-and-expressions-that-could-imply-a-connection-with-a-government-department-a-devolved-administration-or-a-local-or-specified-public-au

25 Words/Terms on Annex C

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/incorporation-and-names/annex-c-other-regulated-words-and-expressions--2

You can tell I set up a lot of new companies can't you

(Just don't tell Hunchman)
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,770
    MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

Bit harsh on Sterling to ban him.
    rkrkrk said:

HYUFD said:

If the Tories think they can scrap the directive and make it so that employers can force employees to work overtime or risk the sack then I think they are destined for a long period of opposition.
    The Tories are just out of touch with the average employee in my opinion. That said, Conservatives tend to oppose change and then quietly go from opposing to passive support and retention.

The right wing Tories who have wet dreams about scrapping regulations which protect workers should be made to do some of the shit jobs others have little choice in carrying out. Many people in society have no choice in the job they carry out and they don't have trust funds and rich mummies and daddy's to make life more tolerable. Life can be very harsh for some with little ability, medical constraints or just bad luck in life.
This discussion has been closed.