Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Young voters are much more opposed to blue passports being bro

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited December 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Young voters are much more opposed to blue passports being brought back than older ones in favour

Above is based on YouGov polling from last February when the specific question of the post-Brexit reintroduction of the blue passport was asked. This is something that ministers have just announced will happen. The figure shown is the net one. The total opposed is subtracted from those supporting for each segment.

Read the full story here

Comments

• First.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    A whole thread on the colour of a passport. :/
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,786
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/1984/jun/27/past.eu

The burgundy passports were agreed at the Fontainebleau summit where Maggie negotiated the budget rebate. Another part of Thatcher's legacy being trashed by Brexit.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,715
    edited December 2017
    Fourth. Was Second when I started it!. As an older voter I don’t give a FF. Although, of course, as a Remainer, I wish it didn’t have to be thought about!
  • PendduPenddu Posts: 265
    I thought colour of passports was agreed by ICAO....nothing to do with EU.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517
    Nice to know I'm down wi't' young 'uns!

It's a pointless change that sends a nasty, backwards message.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,695
    edited December 2017
    The kids will get used to it.

It'll be fine... In 20 years they'll be embarrassed they got upset about the colour of passports changing (those that will actually be prepared to admit it)
  • RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    edited December 2017
    OGH has posted a somewhat misleading graph. The 18-24 group (ie the most opposed) are much smaller than all the others.

A clear majority of Brexiteers support this. It’s therefore not unreasonable that a government enacting Brexit should carry it out.

Can’t say I remember them though...
    The risk for the government is that it trivialises the whole project, which will make it much harder to sell any tough compromises that might need to be made in the new year.
  • PendduPenddu Posts: 265

First.

Hmmm....a minute ago I was first....now disappeared. Can I get a refund?
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,715
    MaxPB said:

AV next?
  • Second. And as an older voter I don’t give a FF. Although, of course, as a Remainer, I wish it didn’t have to be thought about!

+1 As a Remainer who supports the Democratic outcome not really fussed. Iain Martin sums up one strain of the opposed argument well:

the heart of the matter, that is the culture war and intense upper middle class left loathing of the other Britain. The passport decision is a symbol, for ultra-Remainers, of the horrors of Brexit Britain. Attack blue passport people and you send a message of ultra liberal virtue about class and social attitudes: I am, it signals, cosmopolitan, sophisticated, post-nation state, modern, international, European ‎and superior. Blue passport people, in contrast, are ghastly.

https://reaction.life/im-dreaming-blue-passport/

That and Nicola Sturgeon's 'My nationalism is better than your nationalism'.....
  • MaxPB said:

The way this is going I could see ritual passport burnings and protests by Corbynites in 2020.

Before they go off quietly and reorder one after so they can actually travel abroad..

In reality what we'll see is quite a few people buying "EU" burgundy passport covers for them, just as you can currently buy old-style blue-black passport covers.

Labour might try and exploit it in the run up to GE2022 by pledging a choice of colours, or yet another redesign.
  • Penddu said:

First.

Hmmm....a minute ago I was first....now disappeared. Can I get a refund?
    Depends if it was a burgundy post or a blue post.

MaxPB said:

The way this is going I could see ritual passport burnings and protests by Corbynites in 2020.

Before they go off quietly and reorder one after so they can actually travel abroad..

In reality what we'll see is quite a few people buying "EU" burgundy passport covers for them, just as you can currently buy old-style blue-black passport covers.

Labour might try and exploit it in the run up to GE2022 by pledging a choice of colours, or yet another redesign.
    I doubt there would be many votes in it, especially by the time the blue ones are rolling out.
  • So it's the Remainers who are more exercised about this issue?

Iain Martin sums up one strain of the opposed argument well:

the heart of the matter, that is the culture war and intense upper middle class left loathing of the other Britain.

Iain Martin says more about himself in that sentence than he does about unrepentant Remainers, and in stereotyping them as the out-of-touch upper middle class he reveals his own lack of understanding of 'the other Britain'.
  • MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

I doubt there would be many votes in it, especially by the time the blue ones are rolling out.
    Dunno. A small part of me is worried this debate is going to roll on (and bore everyone) for decades. Northern Ireland has managed it for well over 300 years.

Hopefully, we'll move on.
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    edited December 2017
    Who'd have thought that the young would be strongly alienated by a mindlessly reactionary move calculated to tickle the prejudices of extremists? I can't see how this helps the Conservatives with a hearts and minds campaign for those voters who turned out in droves in June to vote against them.

Anyway, those who don't want a passport are getting to choose the colour for those who do. I'm sure there's a logic there somewhere.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835

MaxPB said:

Do Corbynites care about this?
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,707
    edited December 2017
    50 was roughly the age when voters started voting Tory on average rather than Labour in June so if over 50s support blue passports and under 50s oppose them this will have little impact either way electorally. Most of the 42% who voted Tory at the general election and the Tory base will support the move, most of the 40% who voted Labour will oppose it
  • I'm not fussed about the colour.

I'm fussed about there still being French on the front of the passport* of The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Did we lose a war?

*Yes, I am aware the word 'passport' has French origins.
  • AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

So it's the Remainers who are more exercised about this issue?

There's nothing about strength of feeling - who really cares about stuff like this?
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,261

MaxPB said:

I suspect the people who give a shit about the colour of their passport are much more likely to be leavers. No evidence, it's just my opinion.
    dixiedean said:

MaxPB said:

No, I think no one cares about it other than ultra-remainers who seem to think that everyone who voted to leave care more about the colour of a passport than actually leaving the EU. The only people who I've seen make any comments about the change have been remainers complaining. Nobody else gives a shit.
  • MaxPB said:

I suspect the people who give a shit about the colour of their passport are much more likely to be leavers. No evidence, it's just my opinion.
    I'm really happy about it, but I suspect that's reason enough for others to hate it.

MaxPB said:

Not on today's evidence. It's all ultra-remainers losing their shit over this change. See the last thread, Twitter, my WhatsApp group and other social media.

Who'd have thought that the young would be strongly alienated by a mindlessly reactionary move calculated to tickle the prejudices of extremists?

LOL!
  • TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

So it's the Remainers who are more exercised about this issue?

Something tells me remainers are frightened of change ;-)
  • Who'd have thought that the young would be strongly alienated by a mindlessly reactionary move calculated to tickle the prejudices of extremists? I can't see how this helps the Conservatives with a hearts and minds campaign for those voters who turned out in droves in June to vote against them.

Anyway, those who don't want a passport are getting to choose the colour for those who do. I'm sure there's a logic there somewhere.

How are Conservatives supposed to appeal to such voters without becoming left-wing and going against Brexit, and thus losing the essence of what they stand for, which, quite apart from being pointless, would also alienate the older voters?

Try not to respond with a dig at Leavers or Conservatives, but a genuine answer.

How?

You've previously said building a message around "rewarding good work" might be the right move, which I found interesting.
  • JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548

I'm not fussed about the colour.

I'm fussed about there still being French on the front of the passport* of The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Did we lose a war?

I like the reason that the motto is in French; Henry V wanted to remind the French of his claim to their crown.
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited December 2017
    Latest report from MigrationWatch:

"Young people are paying the price as high net migration contributes to housing crisis"
    https://www.migrationwatchuk.org/press-release/517
  • MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Did we lose a war?

Did we lose a war?

Yes. 1066.

Did we lose a war?

I like the reason that the motto is in French; Henry V wanted to remind the French of his claim to their crown.
    I told Dave he'd win the referendum by a landslide if in his renegotiation he made the French honour the Treaty of Troyes.
  • CD13CD13 Posts: 6,349
    It's all symbolic.

The problem is that some of the posher Remainers aren't used to not getting their own way.

Losing a referendum to the thickos is bad enough, but having them flaunt their blue passports would be the ultimate insult.

Think of a petulant child who is spoilt rotten. A Violet Eizabeth who flies off at the merest word.

No grown-ups are bothered.

Did we lose a war?

Did we lose a war?

Yes. 1066.

That was to the Normans, not the French.

We've never been conquered by the French.
  • brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    edited December 2017

MaxPB said:

We won't be in the EU - so we need to change the passport anyway. And why not revert to a distinctive passport - which recognises that.

It is an entirely sensible administrative measure.

You could also phrase it differently. When you arrive home at a busy UK airport - cos most of ours are far busier that most European airports bar holiday destinations in August - would you like a shorter queue as you won't have to join a queue with nationals of 26 other nations (bar the Irish)?

I prefer blue to maroon anyway - it looks classier!

Bar an excuse for extreme remoaners to have another Brexit related whinge I expect the vast majority of people will get over it.
  • MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Not on today's evidence. It's all ultra-remainers losing their shit over this change. See the last thread, Twitter, my WhatsApp group and other social media.
    Yep.....Facebook too.

People not used to losing.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,261

Did we lose a war?

Did we lose a war?

Yes. 1066.

They did speak French though!
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    I'm beginning to find all things BLUE an embarrassment

Did we lose a war?

Did we lose a war?

Yes. 1066.

But, in the long-term, we're the ones who came out ahead territory-wise: Channel Islands. French have jack.

Long game.
    CD13 said:

It's all symbolic.

The problem is that some of the posher Remainers aren't used to not getting their own way.

Losing a referendum to the thickos is bad enough, but having them flaunt their blue passports would be the ultimate insult.

Think of a petulant child who is spoilt rotten. A Violet Eizabeth who flies off at the merest word.

Changing the colour of the passport is "a move calculated to tickle the prejudices of extremists" don't cha know...

No, I've got no idea what he's on about either...

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Yep.....Facebook too.

That's so 2016... We're winning, and until the government realises this, it will continue to dig itself into a political hole.

Did we lose a war?

Did we lose a war?

Yes. 1066.

They spoke Norman French.

La Reyne le veult
    edited December 2017
    Roger said:

When the time comes just dip into your millions and buy a red/burgundy coloured passport holder and you'll be able to jet off to your mansion on the cote d'azur without anybody noticing you have a blue passport...

I'll be fine.
  • brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    HYUFD said:

50 was roughly the age when voters started voting Tory on average rather than Labour in June so if over 50s support blue passports and under 50s oppose them this will have little impact either way electorally. Most of the 42% who voted Tory at the general election and the Tory base will support the move, most of the 40% who voted Labour will oppose it

Do you really think the colour of the U.K. Passport is going to be an issue which affects voting intentions? It really won't you know!

• Roger said:

There goes the Côte d'Azur.....

Did we lose a war?

Did we lose a war?

Yes. 1066.

They spoke Norman French.

La Reyne le veult
    That's Norman wisdom for you.

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Yep.....Facebook too.

That's so 2016... We're winning, and until the government realises this, it will continue to dig itself into a political hole.
    What are you winning? The government have committed to leave the single market and customs union and come to an agreement which paves the way for the UK to leave the EU. Something the ultras said would never happen.
  • Just logged onto Laddys for first time in ages to find £125 sitting there.

Turned out I'd bet on Theresa May to survive as PM until 1st July.

Cha-ching.
    brendan16 said:

HYUFD said:

Do you really think the colour of the U.K. Passport is going to be an issue which affects voting intentions? It really won't you know!

That is precisely what I said, older Tory voters support the change, younger Labour voters oppose it. So no change either way.
    MaxPB said:

dixiedean said:

MaxPB said:

No, I think no one cares about it other than ultra-remainers who seem to think that everyone who voted to leave care more about the colour of a passport than actually leaving the EU. The only people who I've seen make any comments about the change have been remainers complaining. Nobody else gives a shit.
    I don't think I'm an ultra-remainer (though compared to some leavers on here, I might be), but I'm fairly exercised by this backwards, pointless change.

Still, as ever, people see what they want to see. If 'nobody else gives a shit', let's not change it and see the ultra-leavers howl about how they want their past back. ;)
    edited December 2017
    Here you go @Roger

Have a butchers at these beauties;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-UK-Passport-Holder-Protector-Cover-Wallet-PU-Leather-United-Kingdom-EU/222421383888?var=521290134611&hash=item33c958fad0:g:3L0AAOSw4CFYsYq3

£1.49 out of your millions to save your blushes when you walk through Customs on your way to the Cote D'Azur is cheep at half the price. :D
  • Who'd have thought that the young would be strongly alienated by a mindlessly reactionary move calculated to tickle the prejudices of extremists? I can't see how this helps the Conservatives with a hearts and minds campaign for those voters who turned out in droves in June to vote against them.

How are Conservatives supposed to appeal to such voters without becoming left-wing and going against Brexit, and thus losing the essence of what they stand for, which, quite apart from being pointless, would also alienate the older voters?

Try not to respond with a dig at Leavers or Conservatives, but a genuine answer.

How?

You've previously said building a message around "rewarding good work" might be the right move, which I found interesting.
    You regard hard truths as digs. But Leave is a moral disaster, is perceived as such by millions and they are neither going to forgive or forget those who implemented it. The Conservatives have probably lost a whole generation as a result for the indefinite future. They certainly deserve to.

A strong Conservative Prime Minister who was trying to be inclusive to those outside the tent would be astonishing the headbangers with her ingratitude, not signalling that she feels they need to be bought off with symbols. Time and again self-described moderate Leavers are failing to distance themselves from the nutters. The only conclusion has to be that they enjoy their company.
    edited December 2017
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Yep.....Facebook too.

What are you winning? The government have committed to leave the single market and customs union and come to an agreement which paves the way for the UK to leave the EU. Something the ultras said would never happen.
    We're winning the argument. Back in January May was aiming for an equal partnership with the EU and people were expecting a glorious Brexit. Now expectations are reduced so far that the phase one deal looks like a triumph and the only thing people can celebrate is blue passports. The polls continue to drift in Remain's favour, and there are still unresolved (and unresolvable) divisions at the very top of government.
    Mr PB.

"What are you winning?"

They're winning the battle to ignore reality. Still in stage One - denial. Go easy on them, all their nightmares have come true.
  • MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Yep.....Facebook too.

This time last year Saint Gina Miller was riding to their rescue........
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080
    If the photos in the paper are accurate, they look nothing like the old passports.
    edited December 2017
    CD13 said:

It's all symbolic.

Yes the EU referendum was the first time a majority of working class plebs beat a majority of the middle class and most particularly the posho upper middle class, since Wilson beat Heath in 1974. They really do not want to have to share the same passport as those plebs when they are in the airport queue for Florence or Mustique while the plebs head off to Benidorm or Tenerife!
  • The one thing the average Leaver and the average Remainer have is common is that they'd prefer the world to be how it was when they were roughly 20 years old. It's not even a Leaver/Remainer thing really... it's a people thing. We're all very strange creatures. :)
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Bitcoin is indeed undergoing a bit of a correction today
  • StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    This one of those issues where I feel like number in favour Vs against is almost meaningless without asking some measure of how much people care. The more polarised politics is, the more important I think this aspect is.

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Yep.....Facebook too.

Stopping Brexit is a marathon not a snickers sprint.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,952
    I'm mildly astonished at the people bitching about a changed colour of the passport.

If that is all it requires to board the Outrage Bus these days, then you really should be looking at your destination....
  • StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Yep.....Facebook too.

We're winning the argument. Back in January May was aiming for an equal partnership with the EU and people were expecting a glorious Brexit. Now expectations are reduced so far that the phase one deal looks like a triumph and the only thing people can celebrate is blue passports. The polls continue to drift in Remain's favour, and there are still unresolved (and unresolvable) divisions at the very top of government.
    As a Remainer myself, please don't think you speak for all of us when you say that this country getting a shit deal and continuing to be miserably and bitterly divided is "winning".
  • MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

I'm mildly astonished at the people bitching about a changed colour of the passport.

If that is all it requires to board the Outrage Bus these days, then you really should be looking at your destination....

It's a concrete example of real change, as at the moment we've been in the phony war. The idea we are Brexiting and things really will change is driven home by this symbolic passport colour.

Yes, and I was mildly astonished by the backwards leavers who wanted it to change back to blue in the first place. Their outrage bus has reached its destination, though. ;)
  • PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited December 2017

Who'd have thought that the young would be strongly alienated by a mindlessly reactionary move calculated to tickle the prejudices of extremists? I can't see how this helps the Conservatives with a hearts and minds campaign for those voters who turned out in droves in June to vote against them.

How?

You regard hard truths as digs. But Leave is a moral disaster, is perceived as such by millions and they are neither going to forgive or forget those who implemented it. The Conservatives have probably lost a whole generation as a result for the indefinite future. They certainly deserve to.

A strong Conservative Prime Minister who was trying to be inclusive to those outside the tent would be astonishing the headbangers with her ingratitude, not signalling that she feels they need to be bought off with symbols. Time and again self-described moderate Leavers are failing to distance themselves from the nutters. The only conclusion has to be that they enjoy their company.
    I admire your indefatigability, sir.

But lets call a spade a spade. You're conversing with a chap who casually threatens to suicide bomb Brussels if the electorate are ever given the opportunity to have another say.

You couldn't get a fag paper between @casino_royale and the nutters.

He's a pre-Tommy Mair. I honestly don't get why Mike indulges him.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,952

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Yep.....Facebook too.

Stopping Brexit is a marathon not a snickers sprint.
    No, stopping Brexit is a delusion.

Ain't happening.

Here's an idea. Go invest your energies in something where you can make a difference. Say, helping at at a homeless hostel this Christmas.
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,122

Roger said:

There goes the Côte d'Azur.....
    It's off to the Red Sea for wodge.
  • Alistair said:

18000 > 11500 USD so far
  • MaxPB said:

dixiedean said:

MaxPB said:

So why is the government going to all this expense to get them changed then?
    I think we should move forward with shiny gold passports.

How?

You should re-read your post and ask yourself why virtually every Leaver on this forum considers you to be extremely rude.

I am happy to listen to truths, but you cannot resist bracketing them up with insults and then acting contemptuously and dismissively when they are not well-received.

I note you have completely failed to answer the substance of my question. .
  • Pong said:

How?

But lets call a spade a spade. You're conversing with a chap who casually threatens to suicide bomb Brussels if the electorate are ever given the opportunity to have another say.

If you think Mike should ban me, then by all means have the balls to make that case to him directly.
  • RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,973

MaxPB said:

dixiedean said:

MaxPB said:

Its not. Contract was up for renewal - money would have to be spent regardlesd of colour
  • I think we should move forward with shiny gold passports.

If I can choose the image I can have on my debit card why can't I have the same ability for my passport?

MaxPB said:

dixiedean said:

MaxPB said:

What expense? The contract is coming up for renewal and is being tendered with a blue specification rather than a burgundy one.

As for the above comment, if they stayed the same I don't think it would really matter. I wouldn't care, at least, though the change is worth it to see the howls of ultra remainers this morning and afternoon.
  • MaxPB said:

dixiedean said:

MaxPB said:

Its not. Contract was up for renewal - money would have to be spent regardlesd of colour
    But the mere act of them getting them redesigned will cost the taxpayer something. If absolutely everyone, Leavers and Remainers alike, are perfectly content to keep them as they are, that sounds like a gratuitous waste of money.
  • JPJ2JPJ2 Posts: 378
    i will be getting myself and my sons (just as a temporary fix until a Scottish one becomes available, of course) an Irish passport (bless my late Irish mother).

Neither they nor I give a stuff what colour it is (we are rational like that).

• You regard hard truths as digs. But Leave is a moral disaster, is perceived as such by millions and they are neither going to forgive or forget those who implemented it. The Conservatives have probably lost a whole generation as a result for the indefinite future. They certainly deserve to.

You should re-read your post and ask yourself why virtually every Leaver on this forum considers you to be extremely rude.

I am happy to listen to truths, but you cannot resist bracketing them up with insults and then acting contemptuously and dismissively when they are not well-received.

I have no interest in the opinion of "virtually every Leaver on this forum" about me. For starters, large numbers of them (probably a majority) feel able to comment gratuitously on me, in most cases never having met me. In your own case, you continued to disseminate direct untruths about me, even after I had corrected you. So motes and beams would seem to apply.

I'm not expecting the hard truths to be well-received. Comforting lies usually get a better reception. That's why Leave won.
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

How?

Not just every single Leaver, I can promise you.

MaxPB said:

dixiedean said:

MaxPB said:

But the mere act of them getting them redesigned will cost the taxpayer something. If absolutely everyone, Leavers and Remainers alike, are perfectly content to keep them as they are, that sounds like a gratuitous waste of money.
    There's a new design and security features are added every time the contract is renewed, changing the pigmentation of the cover isn't going to add any cost to the existing process.
  • On Catalonia: Isn't there a little problemette for the separatists in the new parliament, namely that several of their MPs are, err, not available to come to the parliament and vote?

And everyone will keep on at it for as long as it takes for them to make absolutely clear how UTTERLY UNIMPORTANT the question is to them.
  • Wanted criminals have been arrested after they were tricked into entering a Christmas hamper offer by police.

Officers from South Yorkshire Police sent a card to a list of wanted people, advising them they had been selected to receive a free hamper and just needed to book a delivery slot.

But when the knock on the door came, the recipients were instead arrested and delivered before the courts.

South Yorkshire Police said it made 21 arrests over two days.

https://news.sky.com/story/police-arrest-21-wanted-criminals-after-luring-them-in-fake-christmas-hamper-offer-11180743
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

MaxPB said:

dixiedean said:

MaxPB said:

Is blue ink really that expensive? ;)

If I can choose the image I can have on my debit card why can't I have the same ability for my passport?
    Agreed, I'd like one with with a massive cock on it, no not that kind, the Spurs kind.

Wanted criminals have been arrested after they were tricked into entering a Christmas hamper offer by police.

Officers from South Yorkshire Police sent a card to a list of wanted people, advising them they had been selected to receive a free hamper and just needed to book a delivery slot.

But when the knock on the door came, the recipients were instead arrested and delivered before the courts.

South Yorkshire Police said it made 21 arrests over two days.

https://news.sky.com/story/police-arrest-21-wanted-criminals-after-luring-them-in-fake-christmas-hamper-offer-11180743

Northern criminals, eh. Just as thick as the rest of the north.
    I've applied for my Citizen of the World passport. It's really easy; you apply for it nowhere.
    Mr JPJ2,

My eldest son exchanged his British passport for an Irish one after the referendum and rang me to explain. "Dad, in light of the family's new Irish majority, we may have to reconsider your family privileges."

"Bloody Eurocrats," I said. "Interfering in things that don't concern them. That's why we voted Leave."
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

dixiedean said:

MaxPB said:

There's a new design and security features are added every time the contract is renewed, changing the pigmentation of the cover isn't going to add any cost to the existing process.
    Some twat has put a European flag with UK in the middle on my driving licence, and some equal and opposite twat has put a Union flag on it, so that's both sides neatly estopped from moaning about gratuitous expenditure on unnecessary redesigns.
    MaxPB said:

Agreed, I'd like one with with a massive cock on it, no not that kind, the Spurs kind.
    You want Delle Ali on your passport?
  • AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

Alistair said:

18000 > 11500 USD so far

Same happened end 2013 - zoomed up from 200>1200 in about two months, then collapsed to half that.

Doesn't exactly make it appealing as a currency.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,583
    Pong said:

How?

Thomas Mair, the insane murderer/ political freedom fighting martyr, delete as appropriate. Several on here would delete the former option!

How about a rainbow passport? Just to upset the headbangers.

Who remembers in the days of hijacking airliners, in the absence of Americans or Israelis on the plane, possession of a blue UK passport was potentially dangerous? Much easier to hide behind the anonymity of a ubiquitous EU passport.
  • MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

dixiedean said:

MaxPB said:

The vendor will be licking its licks. They'll discover that the new colour requires a significant change in their production process and will pass on the cost accordingly. Or do you think government suppliers don't behave like that or the civil service won't rubber stamp it?
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,262

Terrible thing, rudeness on PB. We salute your indefatigability in standing up to it. :)
  • RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,973
    I'm undecided about the blue passport. But what it does confirm - and I think this is why those who voted remain are getting particularly exercised about - is that Brexit is happening.
  • rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    Pong said:

How?

If they're lost for a generation the typical election outcome will shift from ~40/40% Labour/Tory to 50/30% and stay there ~25 years. It deserves to, given their performance on housing, NHS, inequality and public services.

The latest move is apparently to raise council tax 6% to pay for better policing. But council tax is regressive. So the poor will pay ££ they don't have, e.g. band D will go up by about £120/year.

Before he appeased the bastards so much, Cameron should have taken advice from Major. He saw them off in 1995

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/july/4/newsid_2493000/2493037.stm
This discussion has been closed.