Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Reviewing 2017: The polling that made me think 53% of the elec

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited December 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Reviewing 2017: The polling that made me think 53% of the electorate should be denied the vote

Reviewing the polling of 2017 I thought I’d focus on the polling that shocked me the most in 2017.

Read the full story here

Comments

• rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,771
    More importantly than that, I just made falafel for the first time, and they were AWESOME
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,083
    Second. Felafel are great.
  • You can put anything you like on pizze. Italians put potato on top. So pineapple on pizza is fine if you like it. Full disclosure: I like it.
  • If we're discussing new things we've done recently, yesterday I drove 100 miles. I last drove that far in 1997. I don't mind the driving, it's the other road users that I worry about.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,574
    edited December 2017

You can put anything you like on pizze. Italians put potato on top. So pineapple on pizza is fine if you like it. Full disclosure: I like it.

Of course you can, but there is no reason, other than the utter abandonment of taste and decency, why any sane person would wish to do so... in the opinion of half of the nation. The other half think it a classic food combination.
    TSE is quite right; it is the perfect emblem for Brexit.
  • TomsToms Posts: 2,478

If we're discussing new things we've done recently, yesterday I drove 100 miles. I last drove that far in 1997. I don't mind the driving, it's the other road users that I worry about.

Pineapple goes with many foods, e.g. ham.

I find it strange that some people associate cars with freedom. When driving, other people's mistakes can and do land on one's head, possibly seriously so. The twisted nature of our culture's attitude to cars is that we share anecdotes of near misses or worse, and the deep running "humour" associated with accidents and near misses in the movies etc.

TSE, would you rather be stuck in a lift with Diane Abbott?
  • Pineapple in biryani is infinitely worse!

BTW, Die Hard IS a Christmas movie!

As the film has a Christmas setting, the score also features sleigh bells in some cues, as well as the Christmas pop standard "Winter Wonderland"... [N]ear the film's beginning, limousine driver Argyle plays the rap song "Christmas in Hollis", performed by Run–D.M.C., The end credits of the film begin with the Christmas song "Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!" (performed by Vaughn Monroe)...

In 2010, Die Hard was voted as "The Greatest Christmas Film of All Time" by Empire.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Die_Hard
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited December 2017
    Finally getting to see the latest episode of another classic Christmas movie franchise (like die hard) today...Star Wars!

If we're discussing new things we've done recently, yesterday I drove 100 miles. I last drove that far in 1997. I don't mind the driving, it's the other road users that I worry about.

Very empathetic of you.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074
    With all appropriate caveats, given its source, one for @Roger, if he's around - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5209129/Kate-Maltbys-texts-Damian-Green-reporting-him.html

You can put anything you like on pizze. Italians put potato on top. So pineapple on pizza is fine if you like it. Full disclosure: I like it.

Excuse me. I am a bona fide Neapolitan (half, if we want to be pedantic). And we do not put potato on top. Mozzarella - from Battipaglia; tomatoes from San Marzano, olive oil, some basil and, if you absolutely must, some olives.

And that's it.

Some Italians from elsewhere eg the regions bordering Austria may do such a thing but they are barbarians. Pineapple is fine in a fruit salad. Not on a pizza.

And while I'm in the mood - cappuccino is not drunk in the afternoon. Nor does it have chocolate sprinkled all over it. And sauce for pasta is not put in a little heap on top of a plate of pasta, not unless you want the pasta to go all dry and disgusting. It is mixed up with all the pasta the minute the pasta is drained.

Nor does panettone have a chocolate topping.

Buon Natale a tutti!
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    rcs1000 said:

More importantly than that, I just made falafel for the first time, and they were AWESOME

https://toriavey.com/toris-kitchen/falafel/

This is the best and easiest recipe I have come across. Very tasty finished product
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,751
    edited December 2017
    Cyclefree said:

Excuse me. I am a bona fide Neapolitan (half, if we want to be pedantic). And we do not put potato on top. Mozzarella - from Battipaglia; tomatoes from San Marzano, olive oil, some basil and, if you absolutely must, some olives.

And that's it.

Some Italians from elsewhere eg the regions bordering Austria may do such a thing but they are barbarians. Pineapple is fine in a fruit salad. Not on a pizza.

And while I'm in the mood - cappuccino is not drunk in the afternoon. Nor does it have chocolate sprinkled all over it. And sauce for pasta is not put in a little heap on top of a plate of pasta, not unless you want the pasta to go all dry and disgusting. It is mixed up with all the pasta the minute the pasta is drained.

Buon Natale a tutti!
    If we're getting all cosmopolitan about this:

Nadolig Llawen i bawb!
    On topic, was the "Hawaiian" pizza originally invented by a Canadian as some kind of a joke?

The Australians have a saying "to get the wrong end of the pineapple", meaning 'to get a bad deal'. There's your Brexit, right there.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,718
    Cyclefree said:

With all appropriate caveats, given its source, one for @Roger, if he's around - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5209129/Kate-Maltbys-texts-Damian-Green-reporting-him.html

Note it quotes Charlie Elphicke. Whatever the chap’s done, he deserves to know what he’s being accused of. Natural justice and all that.
    Cyclefree said:

And that's it.

Buon Natale a tutti!
    A Milano i semafori forniscono istruzioni. A Roma, suggerimenti. A Napoli sono decorazioni natalizie”

In Milan, traffic lights are an instruction, in Rome, a suggestion, and in Naples, Christmas decoration.

One for Alastair.
  • VinnyVinny Posts: 48
    Personally, I think that anyone who eats pizza instead of the home-grown and far more subtle Welsh Rarebit, is a fool. Consider this: a proper bread base instead of that thick stodgy dough. Consider: proper sharp cheddar instead of that anaemic mozzarella rubbish. And the horseradish and mustard: yummy.
    Vinny said:

Personally, I think that anyone who eats pizza instead of the home-grown and far more subtle Welsh Rarebit, is a fool. Consider this: a proper bread base instead of that thick stodgy dough. Consider: proper sharp cheddar instead of that anaemic mozzarella rubbish. And the horseradish and mustard: yummy.

I love Welsh rarebit!

But proper mozzarella ie made from buffalo milk, not the rubbish you buy here, which is made from ordinary milk and is properly known, at best, as fior di latte, is anything but anaemic.
    IanB2 said:

Cyclefree said:

And that's it.

Buon Natale a tutti!
    A Milano i semafori forniscono istruzioni. A Roma, suggerimenti. A Napoli sono decorazioni natalizie”

In Milan, traffic lights are an instruction, in Rome, a suggestion, and in Naples, Christmas decoration.

One for Alastair.
    If Alastair has only driven 100 miles in the last 10 years he'd be well advised not to drive anywhere in Naples for the foreseeable future......
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,124

Cyclefree said:

Note it quotes Charlie Elphicke. Whatever the chap’s done, he deserves to know what he’s being accused of. Natural justice and all that.
    He does - but surely it is the Police he should now be demanding information from. As for Maltby she's clearly on a mission which is about self promotion - Green is the collateral damage sadly. Of course this is not why he was sacked.
    felix said:

Cyclefree said:

He does - but surely it is the Police he should now be demanding information from. As for Maltby she's clearly on a mission which is about self promotion - Green is the collateral damage sadly. Of course this is not why he was sacked.
    AFAIK there’s been no suggestion that Elphicke’s been referred to the plod. TBH, if I were his constituency association chairman and/or agent I’d be asking questions too.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Cyclefree said:

That's up to the police to tell him
    Cyclefree said:

Vinny said:

I love Welsh rarebit!

But proper mozzarella ie made from buffalo milk, not the rubbish you buy here, which is made from ordinary milk and is properly known, at best, as fior di latte, is anything but anaemic.
    A Caprese with fresh mozzarella and proper tomatos is heavenly. Although I have been known to add avocado and pesto...
    Cyclefree said:

IanB2 said:

Cyclefree said:

And that's it.

Buon Natale a tutti!

One for Alastair.
    If Alastair has only driven 100 miles in the last 10 years he'd be well advised not to drive anywhere in Naples for the foreseeable future......
    Round the centre of Naples it would take the ten years to clock up the 100 miles...
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,771
    Charles said:

Cyclefree said:

Vinny said:

I love Welsh rarebit!

A Caprese with fresh mozzarella and proper tomatos is heavenly. Although I have been known to add avocado and pesto...
    +1
  • foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited December 2017
    A doctor writes...

Pineapple works well on pizza, with its acidic sharpness helping esterify the fats, The sweetness helps balance the saltiness of the ham. Generally, sweet acidic sauces go well with fatty meats for this reason. Duck with orange sauce, vinegar on fish and chips etc.

It is however part of the reason for our nations obesity and diabetes epidemic. Over fatty, carb loaded salty food, taken too frequently and eaten quickly. The British diet of ready meals, confectionary and takeaways is killing us.

Now, I must go off and soak my lentils, kale and quinoa. Christmas dinner requires a lot of preparation...
    rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

Cyclefree said:

Vinny said:

I love Welsh rarebit!

+1
    If you ever go down to Laguna there is a restaurant that does the best Caprese that I have had outside of Capri...
  • alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    edited December 2017
    Don’t mind pineapple so much. It does go with ham after all. What really pees me off is going to France and finding that their core pizza cheese of choice is emmenthal rather than mozzarella
    Just heard on the news that the Army's proposal to change the "be the best" slogan was driven by market research that they were not reaching their target audience

I'm glad to see the Defence Secretary puts his political ambition above the effectiveness of our armed forces
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263
    Pizza is boring - all that dough and monotaste to plough through. Pineapple cheers it up a bit, but lots of anchovies is the real answer. Preferably without the pizza.
  • GadflyGadfly Posts: 1,191
    What on earth did the Italians eat prior to the introduction of the tomato, circa 1548?
    Gadfly said:

What on earth did the Italians eat prior to the introduction of the tomato, circa 1548?

babies
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Gadfly said:

Whatever the Irish ate before potatoes, and the Indians before chilis.
  • Good morning, everyone.

Morris Dancer eats neither pineapple nor pizza. He is clearly a superman!

Just finished re-reading Dodge's biography of Caesar. Rather a good read, especially the penultimate chapter, in which he compares Alexander, Hannibal and Caesar.

I won't upset Mr. Eagles during this festive period by saying whether he thought Hannibal was better than Caesar.
    Charles said:

Gadfly said:

babies
    What! The Conservatives originated from Italy?
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,124

felix said:

Cyclefree said:

AFAIK there’s been no suggestion that Elphicke’s been referred to the plod. TBH, if I were his constituency association chairman and/or agent I’d be asking questions too.
    I thought the complaint was so serious it had been passed to the Police.
    edited December 2017
    Gadfly said:

Charles said:

Gadfly said:

babies
    What! The Conservatives originated from Italy?
    Troy - they are the party of Brutus and all Brutans*

(Copyright: Our Island Story)

Edit: Tory obviously being the result of a drunken monk miscopying the name
  • Mr. Gadly, obviously, hence the well-known opera Il Trova-Tory.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,765
    Cyclefree said:

And that's it.

Buon Natale a tutti!
    Naples is a great place to eat (I'm more interested in the sea food than the pizza).
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,958
    edited December 2017

Pineapple in biryani is infinitely worse!

BTW, Die Hard IS a Christmas movie!

As the film has a Christmas setting, the score also features sleigh bells in some cues, as well as the Christmas pop standard "Winter Wonderland"... [N]ear the film's beginning, limousine driver Argyle plays the rap song "Christmas in Hollis", performed by Run–D.M.C., The end credits of the film begin with the Christmas song "Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!" (performed by Vaughn Monroe)...

In 2010, Die Hard was voted as "The Greatest Christmas Film of All Time" by Empire.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Die_Hard

Ha! The Empire strikes back......

And I fear for Mister Meeks. 100 hundred miles may have taken him into Leave territory for the first time since 1997. He may need Christmas counselling.....

(More likely is that he drove 50 miles out of the capital, thought "eeeeeugh......", then scuttled back...?)
  • Cyclefree said:

IanB2 said:

Cyclefree said:

And that's it.

Buon Natale a tutti!

One for Alastair.
    See Naples and die, as they say.

I've been inflicting myself on Hungary for now. Budapest was an exciting restart to driving.
    Anyone ever tried pineapple with All The Trimmings.....?
  • SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

Anyone ever tried pineapple with All The Trimmings.....?

pineapple =UGH
  • Coming up with a coherent definition of Christmas films that excludes Die Hard and includes It's A Wonderful Life is challenging.

felix said:

Cyclefree said:

The chief whip quite clearly that the allegations had been referred to the police in his statement announcing the suspension.
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/nov/03/tory-mp-charlie-elphicke-has-whip-suspended-after-serious-allegations
    That was at the beginning of November.

How long is it reasonable to leave Mr Elphicke in ignorance of the allegations ?
    It would seem that although they referred to in 1548, tomatoes only began appearing in recipes in 1692. It took until the late 1700s before the peasants of Naples began to put tomatoes on top of their flat breads and they were not married with pasta until the 1800s.

Meanwhile, Christopher Columbus was introduced to Pineapples in 1493, so they may have predated tomatoes as a pizza topping :-)

http://www.grandvoyageitaly.com/piazza/how-the-tomato-became-part-of-italian-culture
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880
    Charles said:

Just heard on the news that the Army's proposal to change the "be the best" slogan was driven by market research that they were not reaching their target audience

I'm glad to see the Defence Secretary puts his political ambition above the effectiveness of our armed forces

A new slogan of "Be the Best While Living in Squalor and Never Getting a Pay Rise" was rejected on grounds of accuracy,

A doctor writes...

Pineapple works well on pizza, with its acidic sharpness helping esterify the fats, The sweetness helps balance the saltiness of the ham. Generally, sweet acidic sauces go well with fatty meats for this reason. Duck with orange sauce, vinegar on fish and chips etc.

It is however part of the reason for our nations obesity and diabetes epidemic. Over fatty, carb loaded salty food, taken too frequently and eaten quickly. The British diet of ready meals, confectionary and takeaways is killing us.

Now, I must go off and soak my lentils, kale and quinoa. Christmas dinner requires a lot of preparation...

This year, I went to the Great British Beer Festival, which is a celebration of unhealthy eating. In addition to the beer, there are stalls selling all sorts of good things like cornish pasties, sausage rolls, bratwurst, fish and chips, beef burgers, hog roasts, faggots, fried chicken, cakes etc.
  • TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited December 2017
    Whatever it is that he eats, Steve Abraham will have been taking in at least 4000 or 5000 calories a day for the last 300 days or so, and is not putting on weight:

https://frrt.org/tg/riders?offset=0&limit=50
    Gadfly said:

It would seem that although they referred to in 1548, tomatoes only began appearing in recipes in 1692. It took until the late 1700s before the peasants of Naples began to put tomatoes on top of their flat breads and they were not married with pasta until the 1800s.

Meanwhile, Christopher Columbus was introduced to Pineapples in 1493, so they may have predated tomatoes as a pizza topping :-)

http://www.grandvoyageitaly.com/piazza/how-the-tomato-became-part-of-italian-culture

Rich people initially treated potatoes as a luxury fruit, before they became a staple vegetable.
  • Nigelb said:

felix said:

Cyclefree said:

The chief whip quite clearly that the allegations had been referred to the police in his statement announcing the suspension.
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/nov/03/tory-mp-charlie-elphicke-has-whip-suspended-after-serious-allegations

How long is it reasonable to leave Mr Elphicke in ignorance of the allegations ?
    Up to the police. The Conservative party will have been advised not to investigate themselves or tell Elphicke anything about the allegations as it could compromise the police investigation. Given that the allegations are said to be serious that means all the party can do is suspend Elphicke pending the outcome of the investigation. The comments by Bercow and some MPs on this case show that they do not know how these investigations work.
  • I like pizza and I like haggis but a haggis pizza was a big mistake.
    Gadfly said:

The pineapple was not cultivated in Europe until the seventeenth century, so that seems highly unlikely.
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,911
    Dura_Ace said:

Charles said:

A new slogan of "Be the Best While Living in Squalor and Never Getting a Pay Rise" was rejected on grounds of accuracy,
    I always thought it was "meet interesting new people around the world - and kill them!"
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Coming up with a coherent definition of Christmas films that excludes Die Hard and includes It's A Wonderful Life is challenging.

Why would you do such a thing?
    Nigelb said:

felix said:

Cyclefree said:

Ah, thanks. A lot was happening to me early in November, so missed that. Ben Stokes seems to being kept in limbo as well.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,772

Are they frightfully parochial in insisting on driving on the left unlike more civilised countries? I trust you put them right.

100 miles is a pretty ordinary day for me.

Cyclefree said:

IanB2 said:

Cyclefree said:

And that's it.

Buon Natale a tutti!

One for Alastair.
    See Naples and die, as they say.

I've been inflicting myself on Hungary for now. Budapest was an exciting restart to driving.
    Naples is one of the great cities of the world. You should see it, at least once, in your lifetime.

All my earliest - and happiest - memories are of Naples and, particularly, Neapolitan Christmases. Every child should have one.

Anyway, if anyone wants to know why gardening is such a rewarding pursuit: this morning I saw that one of my favourite roses, Mme Alfred Carriere, a climber which needs vigorous pruning, was flowering again. A beautiful white rose with a hint of pink and a glorious scent.

There is never a month of the year when some rose or other is not blooming in my garden. So much sensuousness packed into a flower: the joy of small things.

Nigelb said:

felix said:

Cyclefree said:

Up to the police. The Conservative party will have been advised not to investigate themselves or tell Elphicke anything about the allegations as it could compromise the police investigation. Given that the allegations are said to be serious that means all the party can do is suspend Elphicke pending the outcome of the investigation. The comments by Bercow and some MPs on this case show that they do not know how these investigations work.
    While that's accurate as far as it goes, it is not true that the police are the sole arbiter of what is reasonable, and it is a question which should be answered.

The recent change in the law on police bail is a fairly clear demonstration of that.
    Nigelb said:

Gadfly said:

The pineapple was not cultivated in Europe until the seventeenth century, so that seems highly unlikely.
    And they were insane status symbols through the 1600s (in the UK at least), well beyond the pocket of the ordinary neopolitan or his British equivalent. Pineapples are everywhere in art and palace decorations of the period.

I like pizza and I like haggis but a haggis pizza was a big mistake.

The worst combination I ever had was in Zurich in November 2003 in a hotel I was staying in for work purposes. The "chef" presented us with pasta (overcooked) and cranberry sauce (the colour of pale pink lavatory paper).

It tasted as disgusting as it looked.
    Cyclefree said:

And that's it.

Buon Natale a tutti!
    These Italians have much to learn. No chocolate on their cappuccino?

My favourite toppings are probably prosciutto and mushrooms. But the pizza is a wonderfully flexible food as long as it is thin and slightly crispy. I don’t understand those deep pan things at all.
    IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

Gadfly said:

And they were insane status symbols through the 1600s (in the UK at least), well beyond the pocket of the ordinary neopolitan or his British equivalent. Pineapples are everywhere in art and palace decorations of the period.
    I read somewhere that people used to hire pineapples for dinner parties - they couldn't afford to eat them, so they would just sit on the table and be returned the following day.
  • Pineapple? On pizza?

A rresounding yes from me. Usually combined with sweet corn...
    DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

And that's it.

Buon Natale a tutti!

My favourite toppings are probably prosciutto and mushrooms.
    You sprinkle prosciutto and mushrooms on your cappuccino?
  • DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

And that's it.

Buon Natale a tutti!

My favourite toppings are probably prosciutto and mushrooms. But the pizza is a wonderfully flexible food as long as it is thin and slightly crispy. I don’t understand those deep pan things at all.
    My local Italian takeaway does a "Pizza Napolitana" (it's my favourite) - the toppings are: capers, anchovies and black olives , but no cheese!
    edited December 2017
    Cyclefree said:

I like pizza and I like haggis but a haggis pizza was a big mistake.

The worst combination I ever had was in Zurich in November 2003 in a hotel I was staying in for work purposes. The "chef" presented us with pasta (overcooked) and cranberry sauce (the colour of pale pink lavatory paper).

It tasted as disgusting as it looked.
    I had a crispy duck, spring onion and oyster sauce pizza once in a fusion food place in Cambridge. It was quite OK.

I am with you on proper Italian food though. Pizza there is quite different to the doughy gloop served here and in the USA*. My particular favourite is saltimbocca. I have been to Italy many times but never south of Rome. I shall up it on my to do list.

* American food = good ingredients badly cooked, though I am no longer sure about the quality of the ingredients. Red states inAmerica are a culinary wasteland.

• DavidL said:

Are they frightfully parochial in insisting on driving on the left unlike more civilised countries? I trust you put them right.

One of Hungarians' standard moral panics is the danger that right hand drive cars pose. British cars are regarded as being as deadly as cobras. Their own highly erratic drivers get a free pass.
    Charles said:

Gadfly said:

babies
    But not on their flat breads. Babies go on BBQS. Every good Tory knows that.
    DavidL said:

Charles said:

Gadfly said:

babies
    They are hot off the barbie though so you need something to scoop them up with

DavidL said:

One of Hungarians' standard moral panics is the danger that right hand drive cars pose. British cars are regarded as being as deadly as cobras. Their own highly erratic drivers get a free pass.
    In fairness if they are getting visitors from Edinburgh they may have a point. That said I was driving my right hand car in Amsterdam and Groningen this year with my daughter. Bikes absolutely everywhere. Really exhausting. Pretty sure I ended up on the odd road that cars were not supposed to be on too.
    Charles said:

DavidL said:

Charles said:

Gadfly said:

babies
    Is this not why the Turks invented pitta bread?
    Gadfly said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

And that's it.

Buon Natale a tutti!

My favourite toppings are probably prosciutto and mushrooms.
    You sprinkle prosciutto and mushrooms on your cappuccino?
    You don’t?

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

And that's it.

Buon Natale a tutti!

My local Italian takeaway does a "Pizza Napolitana" (it's my favourite) - the toppings are: capers, anchovies and black olives , but no cheese!
    That sounds delicious. Anchovies are just a brilliant food. So much flavour in such a small package.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,751
    edited December 2017
    Cyclefree said:

Vinny said:

I love Welsh rarebit!
    In honour of the almightily arrogant but bluntly not very good philosopher Bertrand Russell who was much mentioned yesterday, let's have a proper paradox:

A Welsh Rarebit is a Cardiff virgin (as everyone knows).

Therefore, if you love a Welsh Rarebit, it ceases to be a rare bit.

Paradox - you cannot therefore love a Welsh Rarebit.
    DavidL said:

Charles said:

Gadfly said:

babies
    The original baby back ribs.
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

And that's it.

Buon Natale a tutti!

That sounds delicious. Anchovies are just a brilliant food. So much flavour in such a small package.
    I make one of those but with small flecks of buffalo mozzarella and garlic oil. It's my favourite pizza.
    edited December 2017
    According to Google Maps Santa takes off in 25 minutes.
    https://santatracker.google.com/village.html

Places everyone.
    Ishmael_Z said:

IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

Gadfly said:

I read somewhere that people used to hire pineapples for dinner parties - they couldn't afford to eat them, so they would just sit on the table and be returned the following day.
    Now THAT is the sort of incidental trivial detail that brings me to pb.com!
  • Mr. L, you make it sound like we're all anti-aircraft gunners :D

Mr. L, you make it sound like we're all anti-aircraft gunners :D

LOL
  • Pineapple on pizza is delicious. If I were forced to ban any one ingredient from being used on pizza it would have to be olives. The only benefit they serve is to provide exercise for the fingers when picking them off the pizza and throwing them away.
  • Mr. Fennel, olives were one of the criteria Greek colonists considered seriously when siting their cities. Saw a map a while ago, and the area where olive trees grow included territory where Saguntum, Massilia, Syracuse, Taras and the various cities on the west coast of Asia Minor were all founded.
  • I like pizza and I like haggis but a haggis pizza was a big mistake.

Haggis pakora is surprisingly good, though a gateway to infernal heartburn.

Mr. Fennel, olives were one of the criteria Greek colonists considered seriously when siting their cities. Saw a map a while ago, and the area where olive trees grow included territory where Saguntum, Massilia, Syracuse, Taras and the various cities on the west coast of Asia Minor were all founded.

It takes an olive tree 25-30 years to mature, but once it does, it's a treasure trove. Olive oil can be used for so many useful purposes.
    Being a rather backward provincial, I was slightly saddened to miss out on this years greatest fashion hit. Apparently, the giant body sock is all sold out. Shame!

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/giant-scarf-dukyana-chunky-mohair-tube-scarf-winter-knitwear-warm-clothing-christmas-a8094606.html
  • RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    Home-made mince pie for breakfast?
    I think I will...
    IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

Gadfly said:

Whereas these days, they're used as concrete decorations by Greek Cypriots on their gateposts.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,399
    'Failed your exams? No chance of a job? Join the Army!'

I like ham and pineapple pizza. In fact I like most pizza toppings. But I only like thin based pizza - none of this deep pan nonsense. It's the equivalent of making a sandwich by cutting a loaf in half.

After left v right, Leave v Remain and theist v atheist it is nice to find something else that PBers can disagree over.
    DavidL said:

According to Google Maps Santa takes off in 25 minutes.
    https://santatracker.google.com/village.html

Places everyone.

A few years ago one of our (half) Thai grandchildren, who visiting for Christmas asked one of Santa’s local reps if he’d drop the heavy presents off in Bangkok to save Daddy having to pay extra on the plane of the way back.
    Sean_F said:

Mr. Fennel, olives were one of the criteria Greek colonists considered seriously when siting their cities. Saw a map a while ago, and the area where olive trees grow included territory where Saguntum, Massilia, Syracuse, Taras and the various cities on the west coast of Asia Minor were all founded.

It takes an olive tree 25-30 years to mature, but once it does, it's a treasure trove. Olive oil can be used for so many useful purposes.
    I believe that instructional videos are available on-line.

Being a rather backward provincial, I was slightly saddened to miss out on this years greatest fashion hit. Apparently, the giant body sock is all sold out. Shame!

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/giant-scarf-dukyana-chunky-mohair-tube-scarf-winter-knitwear-warm-clothing-christmas-a8094606.html

Disappointed to see that there is a hole in the bottom for your feet. I had hoped that the wearer had to hop about like someone in a sack race.

'Failed your exams? No chance of a job? Join the Army!'

I like ham and pineapple pizza. In fact I like most pizza toppings. But I only like thin based pizza - none of this deep pan nonsense. It's the equivalent of making a sandwich by cutting a loaf in half.

After left v right, Leave v Remain and theist v atheist it is nice to find something else that PBers can disagree over.

Strangely, it is the lack of opportunity to go into combat that is affecting recruitment. Not being able to kill people for the last couple of years has been a bit of a downer.
  • Dr. Foxinsox, is it a surprise? Through all history, young men have been invigorated by the danger of warfare.

That said, whilst we've become better at training soldiers, handling the psychological after-effects of war (whether killing other people, watching friends get wounded/killed, suffering wounds, or the constant tension of potential IEDs/suicide bombers) has a long way to go.

Disappointed to see that there is a hole in the bottom for your feet. I had hoped that the wearer had to hop about like someone in a sack race.
    Doesn't suggest a full grasp of the "sock" concept, does it? In fact, this thing turns out to be the logical complement of a sock.
  • We need polling on what the relationship is between pineapple on pizza and voting leave/blue passports/xenophobia.

Dr. Foxinsox, is it a surprise? Through all history, young men have been invigorated by the danger of warfare.

That said, whilst we've become better at training soldiers, handling the psychological after-effects of war (whether killing other people, watching friends get wounded/killed, suffering wounds, or the constant tension of potential IEDs/suicide bombers) has a long way to go.

Didn’t Tacitus talk about German tribal cheifs recruiting young men from other tribes with the promise of warfare?
    DavidL said:

Charles said:

DavidL said:

Charles said:

Gadfly said:

babies
    Is this not why the Turks invented pitta bread?
    Keep that theory to yourself if you're ever in Athens.
  • King Cole, yes, I'm pretty sure he did.
  • A doctor writes...

Forget this pineapple on pizza triviality as a far more important discussion is how to pronounce quinoa.

I've heard that in London some poeple say 'keen-waa' whereas in Yorkshire it's still said properly 'quin-o-a'.
This discussion has been closed.