Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Reshuffling the TMay way – a cock-up over Grayling that will d

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited January 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Reshuffling the TMay way – a cock-up over Grayling that will dominate the media narrative

BBC confirming Grayling appointment but advisers saying its speculation and he hasn't been to no10 yet. The Conservatives had tweeted a congrats, though its now disappeared. What is going on!? pic.twitter.com/8GDc0RE4kS

Read the full story here

Comments

• Mrs May couldn't organise a farting contest in a baked bean factory.

Hell she couldn't arrange a pregnancy on a council estate

#ShowingOffMyWorkingClassRoots
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    edited January 2018
    The highs, the lows. It was a hell of a ride. Great times. Sadly he leaves the party with a slightly worse reputation than when he got the job.

Mrs May couldn't organise a farting contest in a baked bean factory.

Hell she couldn't arrange a pregnancy on a council estate

#ShowingOffMyWorkingClassRoots

Fortunately these guys are not running the country during a critical period.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    It's amusing but doesn't matter at all. What people really care about is accurate reporting on the Second Punic War and the Diadochi era.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,695
    edited January 2018
    If Chris Grayling finishes up sacked and on the back benches after being party chairman for two minutes it'll be a real pisser for him! :D
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    2nd edition of the Standard will be fun
  • I rather like Chris Grayling, because he came out with my all-time favourite political gaffe:

http://www.politics.co.uk/news/2009/10/7/embarrassed-grayling-dismisses-tory-gimmick

Looks like he might have been out-gaffed today though.
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,136
    More consequentially, judging by the twitters Oprah is now the presumptive nominee.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    What an awful start. She's just completely useless.
    Anyway, what sort of party chair do we think Brandon Lewis will make?
  • MaxPB said:

You've only just realised she's awful?

I guess I need to stop being so neutral towards Mrs May in my thread headers and really criticise her.
  • MaxPB said:

It's unlikely to be her cock-up.
  • GIN1138 said:

Half of the tragedy here is that Brandon is a perfectly good choice.
  • GIN1138 said:

He'll appeal to the Brexit/working class Labour voters, I suspect he won't attract Dave's Blue Liberals though.
  • Sir Patrick McLoughlin leaves the cabinet.
  • calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    Nigel Dodds will be new NI Sec at this rate
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038

GIN1138 said:

He'll appeal to the Brexit/working class Labour voters, I suspect he won't attract Dave's Blue Liberals though.
    Nobody will notice. Only Boris would have made any difference (in public) as party chair.

Behind the scenes re-orgs are another matter.
  • GIN1138 said:

Half of the tragedy here is that Brandon is a perfectly good choice.
    He is a good choice and today shows just how much is needed for the party to overhaul it's use of IT
  • oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Deep breaths everyone. There is no point getting over excited by this sort of 'story'

A breakdown in communication, yes. A major political story? No.

GIN1138 said:

Isn't party chair more of an organisational role?

Is he the sort of character that could help mastermind a winning election campaign like Michael Green MP? ;)
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    Send three and fourpence we're going to a dance.....

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesTimes/status/950340028605100032
  • JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Former Conservative Party Chairman, Chris Grayling, has issued the following statement :

"During my considerable tenure as Chairman much has been achieved. Not least the stability of the government in trying times. Unemployment has fallen by two and inflation remains on course. I have steadied the electoral situation and no seats have been lost at either local or national level.

I'd like to thank the Prime Minister for the opportunity to serve the Conservative Party as Chairman at such length and look forward to further opportunities to bring my experience in that post to other positions."
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603

MaxPB said:

I guess I need to stop being so neutral towards Mrs May in my thread headers and really criticise her.
    I've been on the May is crap train for longer than most. I boarded the day the dementia tax was announced. Everyone else told me it wasn't going to register, I was sure that the Tories had just thrown away any chance of a majority.

MaxPB said:

It isn't:

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesTimes/status/950337209814667265
    Cleverly into No10 - expected to be Deputy Chair
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,002
    edited January 2018
    James Cleverly just gone in as deputy chair
    JackW said:

Former Conservative Party Chairman, Chris Grayling, has issued the following statement :

"During my considerable tenure as Chairman much has been achieved. Not least the stability of the government in trying times. Unemployment has fallen by two and inflation remains on course. I have steadied the electoral situation and no seats have been lost at either local or national level.

I'd like to thank the Prime Minister for the opportunity to serve the Conservative Party as Chairman at such length and look forward to further opportunities to bring my experience in that post to other positions."

:D
    People are reading this wrong.

May is practicing a new form of interactive reshuffle. It's a bit like the X-Factor. The job is announced, the public votes, no10 responds dynamically.

Amazing cutting edge C21 politics in action.

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

I've been on the May is crap train for longer than most. I boarded the day the dementia tax was announced. Everyone else told me it wasn't going to register, I was sure that the Tories had just thrown away any chance of a majority.
    I always knew dementia tax and WFA changes would be a disaster as well. :D
  • My guess is that the reporting will mention the Grayling balls up but that it will not dominate anything - it happened early and was very quickly rectified. Shame, it would have been hilarious.
    Oh dear! Sounds potentially very serious.
  • tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,545
    Can't even get the year right. Come on, Wikipedia....
    I hope everything goes well for him. Lung surgery is never without risks sadly.
  • James Cleverly just gone in as deputy chair

Another good choice. But for the CCHQ cock up...
  • MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

I can beat you. :) I thought she was crap back when she was Home Secretary and TSE still liked her. Authoritarian, ignorant of practicalities and thought she could ride rough shod over both the judiciary and the law. Not really changed since she became PM.
  • Of course, the far bigger Chris Grayling story is how on earth he is in the cabinet.

Of course, the far bigger Chris Grayling story is how on earth he is in the cabinet.

Hang about he might not be for much longer... ;)
  • What a fiasco with Grayling. The media will be primed to pick up on any repetition of Theresa's conference-speech calamity, and this has revived the notion that she's hapless and surrounded by nincompoops. This should have been Theresa's big moment, and it's already ruined. Who employs these people?
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,574

MaxPB said:

It isn't:

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesTimes/status/950337209814667265
    Her reshuffle, presumably conducted in a manner set by her....
  • AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    Shuffling the deckchairs on the Titanic more like.

Yet another blunder for the all-at-sea May and her crew of halfwits. As she attempts to shuffle the broken deckchairs on the Titanic her intellectually challenged acolytes are providing a ready supply of icebergs. Someone finally sink this empty hull and put us all out of our misery!
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,124

My guess is that the reporting will mention the Grayling balls up but that it will not dominate anything - it happened early and was very quickly rectified. Shame, it would have been hilarious.

I have to say I'd be delighted that CG will not be party chairman.
  • GIN1138 said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

I always knew dementia tax and WFA changes would be a disaster as well. :D
    Without the dementia tax the WFA change was by itself small enough to be an acceptable form of "we're all in it together". The dementia tax was the killer and that made the WFA a further kick in the ghoulies while already down.
  • Of course, the far bigger Chris Grayling story is how on earth he is in the cabinet.

So if she decides to keep Grayling at Transport, does that mean he was both Party Chairman and Transport Secretary at the same time. Great value for money these Tory ministers. :)

What a fiasco with Grayling. The media will be primed to pick up on any repetition of Theresa's conference-speech calamity, and this has revived the notion that she's hapless and surrounded by nincompoops. This should have been Theresa's big moment, and it's already ruined. Who employs these people?

Er, the Party Chair presumably?
  • DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    Stop being such an apologist, Carlotta. You know that incompetence registers with voters.
    @paulwaugh: Labour proving they really are better at this Twitter lark... https://twitter.com/AndyMcDonaldMP/status/950338378570129408
    JackW said:

In fairness he has probably achieved more in his brief chairmanship than in his entire tenure as transport secretary. Credit where it is due.
    That's a little economical with the actualite - Kuenssberg actually said "Two sources suggesting Grayling new chair at Tory HQ - not officially confirmed though..."

Hardly a confirmation by the BBC.
  • Anazina said:

Yet another blunder for the all-at-sea May and her crew of halfwits. As she attempts to shuffle the broken deckchairs on the Titanic her intellectually challenged acolytes are providing a ready supply of icebergs. Someone finally sink this empty hull and put us all out of our misery!
    You will have a long wait (2022) and if you think it is misery just now it is nothing compared with the disaster a Corbyn led government would be

Deep breaths everyone. There is no point getting over excited by this sort of 'story'

Indeed. The major story is the woeful lack of talent in the Tory party.
    felix said:

My guess is that the reporting will mention the Grayling balls up but that it will not dominate anything - it happened early and was very quickly rectified. Shame, it would have been hilarious.

Yes. The Labour posters who were cock-a-hoop and the TCO acolytes decrying 'another May blunder' have gone curiously quiet.....

GIN1138 said:

He'll make sod all difference.
  • Is the 'cock-up' theory about Grayling just a smokescreen? Perhaps he was offered the job but flatly refused, humiliating Theresa in the process. We'll need to see whether she has the nerve to sack a big beast, or this is just vapid window dressing.

Is the 'cock-up' theory about Grayling just a smokescreen? Perhaps he was offered the job but flatly refused, humiliating Theresa in the process. We'll need to see whether she has the nerve to sack a big beast, or this is just vapid window dressing.

Grayling is not due in Downing St until 12.30 - after the Party Chairmanship is announced....
    edited January 2018

Is the 'cock-up' theory about Grayling just a smokescreen? Perhaps he was offered the job but flatly refused, humiliating Theresa in the process. We'll need to see whether she has the nerve to sack a big beast, or this is just vapid window dressing.

Why would he have refused? Party chairman is a promotion from transport isn't it?
  • felix said:

Yes. The Labour posters who were cock-a-hoop and the TCO acolytes decrying 'another May blunder' have gone curiously quiet.....
    There are no American tanks in Baghdad.

If you don't think this doesn't reflect badly on Mrs May nor will it be used to mock Theresa May then you're seriously deluded.
  • Anazina said:

Indeed. The major story is the woeful lack of talent in the Tory party.
    As opposed to the utter lack of any form of talent on Corbyn's front bench
    @paulwaugh: If either minister is still in place by then... https://twitter.com/labourwhips/status/950343421805416449

Anazina said:

You will have a long wait (2022) and if you think it is misery just now it is nothing compared with the disaster a Corbyn led government would be
    I was once of the view that Corbyn was an extremist. He is now clearly a moderate when compared to the xenophobes of the Brexit Right that hold sway over the weak as paper Theresa May. They say everything in life is relative.
    Dadge said:

Stop being such an apologist, Carlotta. You know that incompetence registers with voters.

https://twitter.com/gsoh31/status/950336956747124736
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,002
    edited January 2018
    Anazina said:

GIN1138 said:

You will be surprised - Lewis and Cleverly are excellent appointments
  • @PickardJE: Patrick McLoughlin copped lots of blame for disastrous snap election, while David Davis - who cajoled May into it - has largely got away unscathed.

felix said:

I suspect most 'Labour posters' indeed most of the country couldn't give a shit either way to be perfectly honest. One unmitigated chump replaced by another. Who cares?
  • TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    Anazina said:

GIN1138 said:

I'd imagine most of those that could be brought in would have already voted conservative. There can't be a huge number out there that didn't but could without major changes.

felix said:

If you don't think this doesn't reflect badly on Mrs May nor will it be used to mock Theresa May then you're seriously deluded.
    A mistake by a CCHQ staffer 'reflects badly on Mrs May'?

I'm seriously deluded?

Of course, the far bigger Chris Grayling story is how on earth he is in the cabinet.

So if she decides to keep Grayling at Transport, does that mean he was both Party Chairman and Transport Secretary at the same time. Great value for money these Tory ministers. :)

Schrodinger's minister?
    Some might differ ?

Sir Patrick McLoughlin, the outgoing Conservative party chairman, has confirmed that he has left the cabinet. Speaking to Sky News, he said that he had been in cabinet for eight years and that he had had “a very good run”....
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,765
    Dadge said:

Incompetence registers with voters when it adversely affects them. This won't.

What a fiasco with Grayling. The media will be primed to pick up on any repetition of Theresa's conference-speech calamity, and this has revived the notion that she's hapless and surrounded by nincompoops. This should have been Theresa's big moment, and it's already ruined. Who employs these people?

The DUP.

@PickardJE: Patrick McLoughlin copped lots of blame for disastrous snap election, while David Davis - who cajoled May into it - has largely got away unscathed.

Having an election wasn't the problem. That ******* manifesto was the problem... ;)

felix said:

A mistake by a CCHQ staffer 'reflects badly on Mrs May'?

I'm seriously deluded?
    So under Mrs May, the buck stops... somewhere else ?
    Dadge said:

Carlotta is a one-woman Tory rebuttal bot operating under orders from Central Office.
  • DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Er, the Party Chair presumably?
    Who is the party chair? Chris Grayling? Sack him!
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Anyway, to the substance. Are Jeremy Hunt, Michael Gove, David Gauke and David Lidington all going to get whopping promotions?
  • So attention deflected from the Tobester, who was deflecting attention from the reshuffle, which was deflecting attention from Brexishambles; the 'hard to hit a moving target' strategy.

The one unbreakable rule is that the buck will zoom past Tessy at near supersonic speeds.
    Priti Patel returns to the Cabinet as Justice Secretary.
  • Anazina said:

Anazina said:

I was once of the view that Corbyn was an extremist. He is now clearly a moderate when compared to the xenophobes of the Brexit Right that hold sway over the weak as paper Theresa May. They say everything in life is relative.
    If Corbyn is a moderate how further left can you go
    Anazina said:

felix said:

I suspect most 'Labour posters'.... couldn't give a shit either way
    You evidently missed their (over) excited posts when Grayling was reportedly getting the job.....
  • SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    Sean_F said:

lol really? That was a long time in disgrace then..
    Anazina said:

Dadge said:

Carlotta is a one-woman Tory rebuttal bot operating under orders from Central Office.
    No - she is, perfectly respectably, a Theresa May loyalist, in much the same way that TSE has remained loyal to George Osborne through his various ups and downs.
    Anazina said:

Dadge said:

Pots and kettles.
    Sean_F said:

? :open_mouth:
    Sean_F said:

Good lord. Patel is thick as a brick. As this clip ably demonstrates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DrsVhzbLzU
  • Sean_F said:

Fake News.
    Only teasing.

Sean_F said:

lol really? That was a long time in disgrace then..
    An authoritarian who is happy to play fast and loose with the rules.
    Not exactly the best choice for the job.
    Oh, Trump Tower is on fire...
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,067
    GIN1138 said:

@PickardJE: Patrick McLoughlin copped lots of blame for disastrous snap election, while David Davis - who cajoled May into it - has largely got away unscathed.

Having an election wasn't the problem. That ******* manifesto was the problem... ;)
    And the refusal to debate, the bizarelre Strong and Stable cult of personality, the surprising level of enthusiasm in the country for an old socialist, Former kippers going back to Labour. It wasn't just the manifesto it was an omnishambles.

Not clear why the party should recover its svelte Cameron touch, indeed it seems to be travelling into the competence level of a UKIP leadership contest.
    GIN1138 said:

Sean_F said:

? :open_mouth:
    source?
    Nigelb said:

Anazina said:

Dadge said:

No - she is, perfectly respectably, a Theresa May loyalist, in much the same way that TSE has remained loyal to George Osborne through his various ups and downs.
    I believe you, thousands wouldn't.
  • MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Anazina said:

Dadge said:

Just compare Carolotta with David Herdson who is a very strong Tory but can look at his party objectively. The former is tedious the latter is always a must read.
This discussion has been closed.