Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Reshuffling the TMay way – a cock-up over Grayling that will d

Comments

• murali_s said:

murali_s said:

murali_s said:

murali_s said:

So DD hangs on too. There's got to be one high-profile sacking surely. If not Boris, Hammond or DD then what about Gove or Fox?

Even though I despise Boris, Fox is the most obnoxious person in politics. To coin a phrase the guy is an an utter c*nt. As someone of Sri Lankan Tamil heritage, he should be no-where near the levers of power...
    McDonnell gets that award
    As ever, Big_G, you miss the point....
    Not really
    Yes, you do. Read up on Liam Fox and educate yourself...
    Do not patronise me
    I am not patronising you - I just want you to educate yourself.

For your information, Liam Fox is an enemy of progress and an enemy of the Sri Lankan Tamil people. While David Cameron, William Hague and many other MPs from all political parties were trying to get a fair and just settlement by putting pressure on the then Sri Lankan Government of alleged war criminal Mahinda Rajapaksa, Liam Fox and a few other obnoxious Tory politicians (e.g. Lord Naseby) were cosying up to the said regime.

So, yes in my opinion and hopefully the opinion of many others, Liam Fox is the most obnoxious person in British politics.
    McDonnell owns that title lock, stock and barrel
  • murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,037
    edited January 2018

murali_s said:

murali_s said:

murali_s said:

murali_s said:

So DD hangs on too. There's got to be one high-profile sacking surely. If not Boris, Hammond or DD then what about Gove or Fox?

Even though I despise Boris, Fox is the most obnoxious person in politics. To coin a phrase the guy is an an utter c*nt. As someone of Sri Lankan Tamil heritage, he should be no-where near the levers of power...
    Not really
    Do not patronise me

For your information, Liam Fox is an enemy of progress and an enemy of the Sri Lankan Tamil people. While David Cameron, William Hague and many other MPs from all political parties were trying to get a fair and just settlement by putting pressure on the then Sri Lankan Government of alleged war criminal Mahinda Rajapaksa, Liam Fox and a few other obnoxious Tory politicians (e.g. Lord Naseby) were cosying up to the said regime.

So, yes in my opinion and hopefully the opinion of many others, Liam Fox is the most obnoxious person in British politics.
    I simply give up!

You are quite simply the most partisan poster on here and that's saying something...

Do you work for CCHQ?
  • tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,545
    Rather disappointed in the renaming of DCLG. Cosmetic change, and it means both that Housing won't get the extra attention it needs and local government is deprioritised. However Sajid Javid seems like a decent enough incumbent.

If it was up to me, I'd have a department for devolution covering all tiers of gvt - city deals, local government, Wales NI and Scotland all in one department together for a joined up approach. Then a second for Housing and Communities to lead on Housing, planning and the civil society aspects of DCLG.

Separating planning appeals and local government oversight would help streamline relations as well - it's a major conflict negotiating with Gvt on e.g. housing when the same decision maker is considering large scale controversial planning appeals.
  • murali_s said:

murali_s said:

murali_s said:

murali_s said:

murali_s said:

Not really
    Do not patronise me

I simply give up!

You are quite simply the most partisan poster on here and that's saying something...

Do you work for CCHQ?
    I think you are finding it difficult to realise that to many of us McDonnell is just off the scale of decency. You need to see his comments about Esther McVey and many other objectionable incidents he has been involved in
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,979

Boris Johnson confirmed in place

— Laura Kuenssberg (@bbclaurak) January 8, 2018

Sad
  • rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    tpfkar said:

If it was up to me, I'd have a department for devolution covering all tiers of gvt - city deals, local government, Wales NI and Scotland all in one department together for a joined up approach.

It could be called the Department for Administrative Affairs.
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    rpjs said:

It could be called the Department for Administrative Affairs.

DoSAC
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,762
    At what point can I claim that this reshuffle would be much ado about nothing is vindicated? Its looking desperately dull at the moment.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,715
    Barnesian said:

Boris Johnson confirmed in place

— Laura Kuenssberg (@bbclaurak) January 8, 2018

Sad

+1
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    DavidL said:

At what point can I claim that this reshuffle would be much ado about nothing is vindicated? Its looking desperately dull at the moment.

It's two days late for Twelfth Night.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    murali_s said:

murali_s said:

murali_s said:

murali_s said:

murali_s said:

Not really
    Do not patronise me

Do you work for CCHQ?
    Next desk to me....
    I think the only surprise so far is the appointment of an F1 driver as Chairman of the Tory party: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk
    Hunt ought to be leaving No10 soon. If hasn’t gone out the back way already!
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,673
    DavidL said:

It really does typify how useless this bunch of donkeys are. May makes Brown look like a towering genius as PM. Easily the worst PM in history.
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    murali_s said:

murali_s said:

murali_s said:

murali_s said:

Not really
    Do not patronise me

How horrible, fantastic, incredible it is that we should be debating a quarrel in a far away country between people of whom we know nothing. What we do know, though, is that Rajapaksa's alleged victims were LTTE members. The expression "had it coming" springs forcibly to mind.
    malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

It really does typify how useless this bunch of donkeys are. May makes Brown look like a towering genius as PM. Easily the worst PM in history.
    No; have to go some to beat Dave.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074
    edited January 2018
    Has anybody actually been reshuffled yet?

In government, as opposed to the Tory party?

DavidL said:

Well its certainly not a Tempest.

• I think you are finding it difficult to realise that to many of us McDonnell is just off the scale of decency. You need to see his comments about Esther McVey and many other objectionable incidents he has been involved in

I'm a Lib Dem and I completely agree with that. The thought of McDonnell holding any kind of power is a very scary one indeed. All parties contain a few really bad people though, of course.

• DavidL said:

On the face of it I agree but Brendon Lewis and James Cleverly will inject a new sense of purpose, David Lidington is a safe pair of hands, and beefing up DCLG with emphasis on Housing is a good move. Other appointments will no doubt follow and it needs to be judged in the round after tomorrow's junior promotions

This is a surprise:

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/950372026337898496

I'd expected the government to see quite an improvement after the December staging post was reached.

Only if people are paying attention - which they’re not - so they’re missing the entire psychodrama that consumes anoraks. I suspect all voters are (generally) interested in is “getting on with it” and “not cocking it up” which so far appears to be largely the case.
  • murali_s said:

murali_s said:

murali_s said:

murali_s said:

murali_s said:

Not really
    Do not patronise me

Do you work for CCHQ?
    Next desk to me....
    +1
    malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

https://twitter.com/NicolaSturgoen/status/950338599584698368?ref_src=twcamp^share|twsrc^m5|twgr^email|twcon^7046|twterm^1
  • AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487

This is a surprise:

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/950372026337898496

I'd expected the government to see quite an improvement after the December staging post was reached.

Only if people are paying attention - which they’re not - so they’re missing the entire psychodrama that consumes anoraks. I suspect all voters are (generally) interested in is “getting on with it” and “not cocking it up” which so far appears to be largely the case.
    Yes, you are right, "cocking it up" does indeed appear to be largely the case.
  • This exercise barely warrants the title of reshuffle at all. She could have just sacked McLoughlin and shifted the the new bods in accordingly. A rotten bloody swizz!
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Good afternoon, my fellow Punic War enthusiasts.
  • YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

murali_s said:

murali_s said:

murali_s said:

murali_s said:

murali_s said:

Not really
    Do not patronise me

Do you work for CCHQ?
    Next desk to me....
    Well one has to admire both your indefatigability to the conservative cause.
  • DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Well its certainly not a Tempest.
    Bit of a Winter's Tale really......but wait.

By the pricking of my thumbs
    Jeremy Corbyn this way comes.

Scary.
  • It is amazing that at a time of significant national need, the Tories and Labour have conspired to present us with the worst government and opposition in living memory.
    Can someone explain to me what the point of this 'reshuffle' was exactly? A couple of complete nobodies appointed to party roles, and entirely cosmetic departmental rebrand, and all of the big offices of state left untouched. A squib of the dampest order – one only the trio of true believers – Lotta, Morty and G-Man – could love.
    edited January 2018

DavidL said:

On the face of it I agree but Brendon Lewis and James Cleverly will inject a new sense of purpose, David Lidington is a safe pair of hands, and beefing up DCLG with emphasis on Housing is a good move. Other appointments will no doubt follow and it needs to be judged in the round after tomorrow's junior promotions
    I looked up David Lidington quotes. There was 1:

"If the TTIP project fails I think that will send a really dismaying message about Europe's waning importance in world affairs, we should not pretend that that will have anything other than a damaging impact both economically and diplomatically."
    https://www.quotes.net/authors/David Lidington

It had zero fans, funnily enough. It doesn't exactly set the pulse beating.
    A Midwinters Night’s Dream?
  • Surely, with all the hype, Theresa never intended it to be this much of a non event. Most likely she planned some big moves, but the cabinet stuck together ('If he goes then I go') and she was left impotent and shunned.

This exercise barely warrants the title of reshuffle at all. She could have just sacked McLoughlin and shifted the the new bods in accordingly. A rotten bloody swizz!

Interesting to see whether Mercer and/or Mogg gets something tomorrow.
  • Anazina said:

Can someone explain to me what the point of this 'reshuffle' was exactly? A couple of complete nobodies appointed to party roles, and entirely cosmetic departmental rebrand, and all of the big offices of state left untouched. A squib of the dampest order – one only the trio of true believers – Lotta, Morty and G-Man – could love.

You would have been anti no matter what TM did unless of course she decided to ignore the democratic vote of the Country and announce she would reverse Brexit
    Hunt to Norn Ireland?
  • Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

Surely, with all the hype, Theresa never intended it to be this much of a non event. Most likely she planned some big moves, but the cabinet stuck together ('If he goes then I go') and she was left impotent and shunned.

Yeah.... it really doesn't make sense to have built it up like this, if this was really all she intended.
    Perhaps she wanted to be more ambitious but there was a Taming of the Shrew.
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited January 2018
    Anazina said:

Clearly the point of it is to give people like you the opportunity to rubbish it, irrespective of what it actually comprised.

So far it's a minor reshuffle, unsurprisingly given the circumstances, but it seems sensible enough. It's not like one of Blair's idiotic games of musical chairs which moved ministers around just at the point where there might be some small risk that they'd be about to master their briefs.
  • Hunt to Norn Ireland?

Source maybe
  • DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Hunt to Norn Ireland?

And back out to 100/1
  • marke09marke09 Posts: 926

Tom Newton Dunn
    ‏Verified account @tnewtondunn
    1m1 minute ago

Another clue: is Jeremy Hunt about to be made Business Secretary? His DoH deputy Philip Dunne is responding to a Commons UQ on his behalf now.

Hunt to Norn Ireland?

Source maybe
    Really! I’m just hoping there’s something dramatic, or even interesting, to come!
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    edited January 2018
    If I was an in position minister, I would feel in some way demeaned by this farrago.

It just seems bumbling and unfocused. Why take a whole day to do f**k all?
  • Hunt to Norn Ireland?

Source maybe
    Really! I’m just hoping there’s something dramatic, or even interesting, to come!
    I agree one big headline is needed
  • YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

It is amazing that at a time of significant national need, the Tories and Labour have conspired to present us with the worst government and opposition in living memory.

Hardly a conspiracy Cameron called the referendum and threw the dice up in the air.

Anazina said:

Clearly the point of it is to give people like you the opportunity to rubbish it, irrespective of what it actually comprised.

So far it's a minor reshuffle, unsurprisingly given the circumstances, but it seems sensible enough. It's not like one of Blair's idiotic games of musical chairs which moved ministers around just at the point where there might be some small risk that they'd be about to master their briefs.
    Hmm. I wonder if there is more to it than meets the eye? Why would No. 10 have ramped it up so much if it this really was the intention? Even they aren't that bad at media management. I sniff a rat!!
  • JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,211
    marke09 said:

Tom Newton Dunn
    1m1 minute ago

Another clue: is Jeremy Hunt about to be made Business Secretary? His DoH deputy Philip Dunne is responding to a Commons UQ on his behalf now.

Pretty standard for junior ministers to respond to UQs.

But that's not to say.....
    O/T Jaguar sales up 20% in a year: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42603271

Impressive.
  • logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,669

We're all going to wake up soon.
    Brexit and Trump was just a dream.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,695
    edited January 2018
    DavidL said:

Its looking desperately dull at the moment.

A bit like Theresa herself? ;)
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,392
    Never mind Night of the Long Knives, this is Afternoon of the Short on Substance.

#CallthisaReshuffle?
    edited January 2018

Anazina said:

Then someone, be it the govt's PR, or marketing, or communications directors are at fault.

If it is not a Reshuffle fair enough, in which case expectations should have been managed down ("the right team in place but that's not to say we won't be welcoming new blood...") or it should have been all done by midday and they could move on.

As it is, they allowed the build up of expectations, and then have dashed those expectations (of new blood, of a change, of clearing out the Augean stables, of whatever...) with a hugely underwhelming teeny tiny change dragged out over two days.

So far...
    DavidL said:

Impressive.

Well gin has certainly come back into fashion of late, no reason why Jags shouldn't...

We're all going to wake up soon.
    Brexit and Trump was just a dream.
    David Cameron comes out of the shower.....
  • TOPPING said:

Anazina said:

Then someone, be it the govt's PR, or marketing, or communications directors are at fault.

If it is not a Reshuffle fair enough, in which case expectations should have been managed down ("the right team in place but that's not to say we won't be welcoming new blood...") or it should have been all done by midday and they could move on.

As it is, they allowed the build up of expectations, and then have dashed those expectations (of new blood, of a change, of clearing out the Augean stables, of whatever...) with a hugely underwhelming teeny tiny change dragged out over two days.

So far...
    Not really. Most people aren't watching this minute by minute; in fact most normal people have barely noticed it is happening.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,958
    edited January 2018

Never mind Night of the Long Knives, this is Afternoon of the Short on Substance.

#CallthisaReshuffle?

Day of the Tea Spoons?
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,695
    edited January 2018
    TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

Impressive.

Well gin has certainly come back into fashion of late, no reason why Jags shouldn't...
    Did I ever go out of fashion?

Well that there was that time OGH told off for calling George Osborne a creep...

TOPPING said:

Anazina said:

So far...
    Not really. Most people aren't watching this minute by minute; in fact most normal people have barely noticed it is happening.
    It barely is.
  • oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    JohnO said:

marke09 said:

Tom Newton Dunn
    1m1 minute ago

Pretty standard for junior ministers to respond to UQs.

But that's not to say.....
    Of course, Labour and our well-beloved Speaker knew perfectly well that the reshuffle was taking place today - and so the placing and scheduling of the UQs would have been done to make things as uncomfortable as possible.
  • Never mind Night of the Long Knives, this is Afternoon of the Short on Substance.

#CallthisaReshuffle?

The Day of the Short Straws.
  • marke09marke09 Posts: 926
    She had a reception planned in No 10 between 2 and 4pm

TOPPING said:

Anazina said:

So far...
    Front page of several newspapers including the most popular media website on the planet.

dailymail.co.uk/home/index.html
    edited January 2018
    GIN1138 said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

Impressive.

Did I ever go out of fashion?

Well that there was that time OGH told off for calling George Osborne a creep...
    You are, Sir/Madam/Other, a legend. Always have been.
    BBC now talking about Brokenshires gratitude and commenting on David Liddigton’s knowledge of Tudor history.
    Is that it?
    TOPPING said:

Anazina said:

So far...
    A full on Night of the Long Knives would have been fun, but TM is not NLK material. Knowing how she works, I'd say she planned something major (possibly on the unofficial advice which I bet she is still getting from Fiona and beardy), everyone from the 3 great officers of state to the downing street cat told her over the weekend that if she moved them she was dead meat, and she is now going through the motions but not actually doing anything.
    Ishmael_Z said:

TOPPING said:

Anazina said:

So far...
    A full on Night of the Long Knives would have been fun, but TM is not NLK material. Knowing how she works, I'd say she planned something major (possibly on the unofficial advice which I bet she is still getting from Fiona and beardy), everyone from the 3 great officers of state to the downing street cat told her over the weekend that if she moved them she was dead meat, and she is now going through the motions but not actually doing anything.
    It just looks absurd. And whatever people may say about no one will notice, it is on every media front page both online and in real life.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,786

#CallthisaReshuffle?

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Anazina said:

So far...
    Front page of several newspapers including the most popular media website on the planet.

dailymail.co.uk/home/index.html
    May achieves impressive consistency in generating 'farce' headlines.
    edited January 2018
    If she’s ‘recepting’Hunt’s been kicking his heels a long time. Is Arlene having a go about whoever’s being sent to Belfast?
  • Apparently there is a pause due to a reception at no 10
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,008
    I'm not sure the Government doing well/badly at EU negotiations polling will substantively recover anytime soon.

If you look at the trend, it dropped over the election campaign, when May lost her majority, and I think it's by and large a proxy for her ratings.

Apparently there is a pause due to a reception at no 10

which shows a government fit for the future, doesn't it, Big G?
    DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

Anazina said:

So far...
    It barely is.
    It's taking a bloody long time.
    DavidL said:

Impressive.

I was one of those.

Doing my bit for UK Plc.
  • david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,401

If she’s ‘recepting’Hunt’s been kicking his heels a long time. Is Arlene having a go about whoever’s being sent to Belfast?

Ironically, Hunt has now been waiting in a corridor for 3 hours.

(Not my joke - shamelessly stolen from the matt cartoon)

Tezzie can't even organise her diary properly. Hasn't this been blocked out as Reshuffle Day for the past month?
    TOPPING said:

If I was an in position minister, I would feel in some way demeaned by this farrago.

It just seems bumbling and unfocused. Why take a whole day to do f**k all?

Because May doesn't have the ability to do f••k all in an hour?

He would have to be lying in a pool of his own bodily fluids for the full effect.

I hope they’ve given him some of the reception tea and biscuits.

DavidL said:

Impressive.

I was one of those.

Doing my bit for UK Plc India.
    Amended
  • TOPPING said:

Lot fitter than Corbyn's labour
  • El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    edited January 2018

He'll have to keep popping out to feed the meter for the car parking though.

(OT, but free hospital car parking is a bloody silly policy. In my experience paying for hospital parking isn't the issue. Finding a space is. You can circle the John Radcliffe in Oxford for 15 minutes before finding somewhere to park. Free parking will make this a whole lot worse.)

TOPPING said:

We can only speculate how Jezza's govt would prove useless. Here, meanwhile...
  • tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,545

He would have to be lying in a pool of his own bodily fluids for the full effect.
    For the full effect, shouldn't he have been told that his appointment had been postponed due to demand, and that he should call round again later?

BBC now talking about Brokenshires gratitude and commenting on David Liddigton’s knowledge of Tudor history.
    Is that it?

Part of a winning team on University Challenge twice apparently. Certainly a step up from David Lammy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsR4Nx-ELgc

It is amazing that at a time of significant national need, the Tories and Labour have conspired to present us with the worst government and opposition in living memory.

We appear to have entered an age of reverse politics, whereby talentless extremists prosper while skilled pragmatists founder on the backbenches. One could quite easily select a strong cabinet from those sidelined by May's Brexit-botherers and Labour's PLP rebellion!
  • david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,401
    Ishmael_Z said:

TOPPING said:

Anazina said:

So far...
    As was predicted over the weekend.

That said, I don't think she could have avoided this one, which looks to have been prompted by James Brokenshire's lung. Hard to replace him - which couldn't be delayed - and not sort out the gap left by Green's departure. And if you replace two office-holders then it's become a reshuffle and you have to resolve other hanging issues, such as the CCHQ posts (which do look a decent set of appointments).

Even so, the error was in allowing the story to leak out well before the changes were made.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,786
    tpfkar said:

For the full effect, shouldn't he have been told that his appointment had been postponed due to demand, and that he should call round again later?
    "Sorry Mr Hunt, all non-essential promotions have been rescheduled."
  • If she’s ‘recepting’Hunt’s been kicking his heels a long time. Is Arlene having a go about whoever’s being sent to Belfast?

(OT, but free hospital car parking is a bloody silly policy. In my experience paying for hospital parking isn't the issue. Finding a space is. You can circle the John Radcliffe in Oxford for 15 minutes before finding somewhere to park. Free parking will make this a whole lot worse.)
    We have free parking here in Wales and you cannot get parked without going ages before your appointment
    According to the Beeb the vitally important reception is for Welsh Assembly members.
  • Anazina said:

We appear to have entered an age of reverse politics, whereby talentless extremists prosper while skilled pragmatists founder on the backbenches. One could quite easily select a strong cabinet from those sidelined by May's Brexit-botherers and Labour's PLP rebellion!
    You may be surprised but I could agree with you on that but until Brexit is sorted we are where we are
  • Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414
    DavidL said:

Is that it?

Part of a winning team on University Challenge twice apparently. Certainly a step up from David Lammy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsR4Nx-ELgc
    I've often wondered if Lammy didn't do that on purpose. I can't think what he might have been trying to achieve but surely nobody could be that thick in real life?
    TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

Impressive.

I was one of those.

Doing my bit for UK Plc India.
    Amended
    Designed here, made here, mate.

Although, it is true to say that we Brits can't run major companies for toffee.

According to the Beeb the vitally important reception is for Welsh Assembly members.

I feel a Robert Bolt quote coming on....

TOPPING said:

Weak, weak, weak. Your argument essentially boils down to "we are shit, but not as shit as the other lot hypothetically would be, were they in government, which they are not."
  • HHemmeligHHemmelig Posts: 617

+1

It's an absolutely barmy policy, especially for London & the SE

Being forced to park in Orpington Sainsburys the day and night my son was born is burned in my memory...popping outside every hour or so to move the car a few spaces and make sure I wasn't clamped.

We have free parking here in Wales and you cannot get parked without going ages before your appointment
    I think I’ve posted before that at one time I worked in a hospital which had free parking and was a long but manageable walk from a commuter railway station, with very limited parking.

Yup, got it in one!
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Miss Anazina, given politics is a choice (in this case largely between Conservative and Labour), how is "the Conservatives are better than Labour" a weak argument?
This discussion has been closed.