Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » How Britain should play the Trump card without folding or uppi

Comments

• CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

Charles said:

Yorkcity said:

HHemmelig said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Trump's only true international supporters are Netanyahu, Orban and maybe the Polish government and President Duharte of the Philippines. However if even Trudeau and Macron can engage with Trump and in Macron's case roll out the red carpet for him on his visit to Paris, then so can we

Why do you hate the Queen so much that you’d inflict Donald Trump on her?
    The Queen has met Ceaucescu, Nixon, George W Bush, Putin, Mugabe and Hirihito. I am sure she can meet Trump
    What an awful woman the Queen is, is there a fascist/dictator she doesn't like.

If she was a force for good she'd had refused to meet most of those.

#AbolishTheMonarchy
    Your family hasn't even been in this country as long as HM has been on the throne. And she was kind enough to welcome your ancestors to immigrate here. People like you should not be allowed to agitate to remove a monarchy that has served the indigenous people of this country very well for many hundreds of years.

(if you insist on doing a poundshop impression of SeanT don't be surprised if others do the same)
    I’m not quite sure how ‘the indigenous people of this country' is defined. I can probably trace virtually all my ancestors on one side, and around half of them on the other, to the people who were here when the Romans came, but I believe that there were others who were here even earlier.
    So, who are these indigenes?
    And I’d quite like to see a republic too, if it’s all the same to you!
    Fine by me , born to be head of state is anachronism in a mature democratic state.
    It may be anachronistic but it works pretty well. The Monarch can be a unifying figure that a politician can not.

Head of Government is what matters. Head of State is an ornament
    You really think King George VII really is going to be a unifying figure ?
    Yes. He’s stopped saying silly things. People who still hate him for divorcing a someone who has been dead for 20 years are a small minority
    Those black spider memos seem to suspect indicate otherwise.

He also believes in homeopathy.
    He has the right to communicate with ministers - they can politely ignore him if they so choose.

He can believe in what he likes on a personal level. If he (as monarch) tells the government to make it available on the NHS that’s a problem
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,956
    edited January 2018
    Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Charles said:

Yorkcity said:

HHemmelig said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Trump's only true international supporters are Netanyahu, Orban and maybe the Polish government and President Duharte of the Philippines. However if even Trudeau and Macron can engage with Trump and in Macron's case roll out the red carpet for him on his visit to Paris, then so can we

We have much higher standards than the French, the French collaborate with anyone.

The Queen has met Ceaucescu, Nixon, George W Bush, Putin, Mugabe and Hirihito. I am sure she can meet Trump

#AbolishTheMonarchy
    Your family hasn't even been in this country as long as HM has been on the throne. And she was kind enough to welcome your ancestors to immigrate here. People like you should not be allowed to agitate to remove a monarchy that has served the indigenous people of this country very well for many hundreds of years.

(if you insist on doing a poundshop impression of SeanT don't be surprised if others do the same)
    I’m not quite sure how ‘the indigenous people of this country' is defined. I can probably trace virtually all my ancestors on one side, and around half of them on the other, to the people who were here when the Romans came, but I believe that there were others who were here even earlier.
    Fine by me , born to be head of state is anachronism in a mature democratic state.
    It may be anachronistic but it works pretty well. The Monarch can be a unifying figure that a politician can not.

At four years of age is he already exhibiting divisive tendencies??
    George is the Regnal name that Charles is thinking of using.
    Oh. Why not just use Charles??
    Charles is an inauspicious name for monarchs in this country.

Charles is a byword for fornicators and adulterers, with delusions of Godhood that need their heads chopping off.
  • TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Charles said:

Yorkcity said:

HHemmelig said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

We have much higher standards than the French, the French collaborate with anyone.

#AbolishTheMonarchy

Because Charles one and two were crap.
  • AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487

Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Charles said:

Yorkcity said:

HHemmelig said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

#AbolishTheMonarchy

Third time lucky?
    Anazina said:

Charles said:

Yorkcity said:

HHemmelig said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

#AbolishTheMonarchy

Charles’ regnal name will be George. We don’t have a great track record with Charleses
  • YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    Anazina said:

Yorkcity said:

HHemmelig said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

#AbolishTheMonarchy

It is also cruel. I pity the royal family. Born into the public glare, a privacy-free goldfish bowl of misery. The children are paraded around like show ponies for the entertainment of weirdo royal-watchers from age three.
    I agree , they are a wealthy family after this Queen , they should be allowed to live their life's how they choose , without the requirement of public duty by accident of birth.
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

They had already been crap for about three centuries in 1948...

I suspect this regnal name thing will go down with the general public about as well as not flying a flag at B Palace did in 1997.

And those who think the general public are over Diana, should look at Camilla's popularity ratings.
    Charles said:

Anazina said:

Charles said:

Yorkcity said:

HHemmelig said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

#AbolishTheMonarchy

Charles’ regnal name will be George. We don’t have a great track record with Charleses
    And maybe stick with the German side of the family of George.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Mr. Z, I doubt anyone will care.

Unless he calls himself something eye-catching. Like Arthur (possible). Or Kong (less so).
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,715

Anazina said:

Charles said:

Yorkcity said:

HHemmelig said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

#AbolishTheMonarchy

He’s been toying with options for 25 years! To be fair, though he IS Charles Philip Arthur George, so there’s some sense in it. Arlene and her lot would have have a fit with Philip. And no-one would be able to decide whether he was Arthur ot Arthur II, so bearing in mind the poor history of King Charles’s, including another argument over regnal numbers, he’s left with George.

Mr. Z, I doubt anyone will care.

Unless he calls himself something eye-catching. Like Arthur (possible). Or Kong (less so).

It will be portrayed as a crude attempt to pass Charles off as his own secret and less annoying identical twin.
    King Cole, don't the numbers (officially) start after the Conquest? Hence Edward I, despite him following on from Edward the Confessor and Edward the Elder.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,786
    RobD said:
    That’s good news. It would avoid the need to hold another referendum on joining the Euro.
    Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Charles said:

Yorkcity said:

HHemmelig said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

#AbolishTheMonarchy

Third time lucky?
    There are those here who aregue that we’ve already had a King Charles III
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,392
    Charles can avoid the anxiety over choosing his name by letting Willy the fifth take over.

Or better still by abolishing the monarchy.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    Cyclefree said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:
    Because they've already been reviewed and it was decided most of them didn't meet the charging/evidential test.

I saw a figure of 14 mentioned the other day.
    Most of them. So some did meet the test?

I know you’re a lawyer, and want to defend lawyers, but this strikes me as a huge miscarriage of justice for his victims.

A taxi driver (in a position of trust) convicted of 19 specimen charges of rape and sexual assault, and with a hundred more complaints on file, sentenced aged 51 to life imprisonment, would be surprised to be out a decade later. I’d suggest that his victims were expecting two decades in the big house as a minimum.

I am not a fan of the CPS. My experience of them has been that they are utterly woeful. But, you are confusing three issues, with great respect (as we lawyers like to say - :) )

1. Was the sentence initially given long enough. Or rather the minimum term the judge said he should serve: 8 years. This was, I am told, in accordance with the rules then in place. To me, 8 years seems far too low. I think the sentence should have been challenged at the time but it is now too late.

2. Is it now safe to release him? This is the issue for the Parole Board and is the critical one. Unfortunately they cannot, by law, release details of why they have come to the decision they have. This ought to be changed. The other question is whether parole officers will really be able to keep an eye on him and whether sufficient conditions have been placed on him.

3. Should he be charged with additional offences? Two tests here: is there sufficient evidence which gives a better than evens chance of a conviction and is it in the public interest for him to be prosecuted. The latter is easy to answer. The former may be more difficult. It's not just the forensic or physical evidence; it's also the evidence from victims which will now be years old. Those factors make it a more finely judged decision than simply saying: justice for the victims etc. Remember: the burden of proof is on the prosecution and the standard is rightly high. Just because the victims say they were attacked is not enough for a conviction. There may also be the question of whether he can now expect to receive a fair trial given all the publicity.

I would certainly have thought it made sense for the CPS to review the evidence again, with fresh eyes. But just because it may have been the wrong decision for the then DPP not to prosecute him on additional charges all those years does not necessarily make it the right decision now to charge him.
    Agree completely :+1:
    On the subject of the royal family, I reckon James or Victoria for Kate's 3rd sprog.

King Cole, don't the numbers (officially) start after the Conquest? Hence Edward I, despite him following on from Edward the Confessor and Edward the Elder.

As far as my ancestors were concerned, English kings started from about Henry II.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    edited January 2018

RobD said:
    That’s good news. It would avoid the need to hold another referendum on joining the Euro.
    Tell that to the Danes. Edit: Oh, they aren't obliged. It's the Swedish who are.
  • King Cole, don't the numbers (officially) start after the Conquest? Hence Edward I, despite him following on from Edward the Confessor and Edward the Elder.

As far as my ancestors were concerned, English kings started from about Henry II.
    Nah. The last English King was Harold. The rest have been French usurpers.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

On the subject of the royal family, I reckon James or Victoria for Kate's 3rd sprog.

Donald?

Henry l did bring back the Anglo Saxon line with his marriage ;-)

Charles can avoid the anxiety over choosing his name by letting Willy the fifth take over.

He couldn't do the latter, except I suppose by abdicating after obtaining the agreement of everyone else in line to the throne to abdicate too, which if you think about it means every living organism on earth.
    Mr. Johnno, it was all going swimmingly until his only son got pissed on a boat and ended up drowning after a drunken party. Daft cock.
  • RobD said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Trump's only true international supporters are Netanyahu, Orban and maybe the Polish government and President Duterte of the Philippines. However if even Trudeau and Macron can engage with Trump and in Macron's case roll out the red carpet for him on his visit to Paris, then so can we

I am against a visit. It is not worth the security nightmare and massive, and I mean massive, police costs.
    Surely their brand new embassy has a roof that can take the weight of one of their Marine One helicopters?

I’m always in awe of the route the PM takes from Heathrow or Northolt into town. Lots of traffic lights sequenced by the convoy, that travels on both sides of the road and are gone before you realised why you got stopped. Very efficient.
    According to the Telegraph article, the new embassy doesnt have a helipad on the roof. Instead, they’ve got a bunch of solar panels.
    At least a hearty vote of confidence in that they don't expect a hasty Saigon-esque evacuation.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074

Anazina said:

Charles said:

Yorkcity said:

HHemmelig said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

#AbolishTheMonarchy

He’s been toying with options for 25 years! To be fair, though he IS Charles Philip Arthur George, so there’s some sense in it. Arlene and her lot would have have a fit with Philip. And no-one would be able to decide whether he was Arthur ot Arthur II, so bearing in mind the poor history of King Charles’s, including another argument over regnal numbers, he’s left with George.
    Why would Arlene have a fit with Philip?
    Ishmael_Z said:

He couldn't do the latter, except I suppose by abdicating after obtaining the agreement of everyone else in line to the throne to abdicate too, which if you think about it means every living organism on earth.
    Only decedents of Sophia, Electress of Hanover are legitimate claimants.

RobD said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Trump's only true international supporters are Netanyahu, Orban and maybe the Polish government and President Duterte of the Philippines. However if even Trudeau and Macron can engage with Trump and in Macron's case roll out the red carpet for him on his visit to Paris, then so can we

I am against a visit. It is not worth the security nightmare and massive, and I mean massive, police costs.
    Surely their brand new embassy has a roof that can take the weight of one of their Marine One helicopters?

I’m always in awe of the route the PM takes from Heathrow or Northolt into town. Lots of traffic lights sequenced by the convoy, that travels on both sides of the road and are gone before you realised why you got stopped. Very efficient.
    According to the Telegraph article, the new embassy doesnt have a helipad on the roof. Instead, they’ve got a bunch of solar panels.
    At least a hearty vote of confidence in that they don't expect a hasty Saigon-esque evacuation.
    The Trump protests could get ugly... :p
  • DavidL said:

Trump is an arse but he is an arse in a position of considerable power and influence who can have adverse effects on us. It is the job of the government of the day to deal with arses if that is in the national interest. Those in non governmental positions, such as the Mayor of London, are free to indulge themselves in a way that Ministers are not although I think inviting him to reflect on the wisdom of doing so is entirely appropriate.

It is not in our interests to get involved in spats with Trump, however tempting it may be. Sometimes, as with the UN resolution on Jerusalem, we may feel we have no alternative to expressly and publically disagree with him but it is generally in our interests to keep these occasions to a minimum.

Trump has personally attacked Khan on a number of occasions. Khan has every right to respond. Not everyone can show the restraint that President Obama did when Boris Johnson personally attacked him.

RobD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Decedents... :lol:
    RobD said:
    And if they did and if there was a second referendum this would almost certainly guarantee another Leave win.

If Brussels wanted Britain to change its mind, this is the last thing they'd do.

All academic anyway.......
  • Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Charles said:

Yorkcity said:

HHemmelig said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

#AbolishTheMonarchy

Third time lucky?
    If you strictly follow the line of Jacobite succession, there have been four of the buggers.
    edited January 2018
    Cyclefree said:

Anazina said:

Charles said:

Yorkcity said:

HHemmelig said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

#AbolishTheMonarchy

Last English (sort of) male Soveriegn called Philip was His Most Catholic Majesty, Philip of Spain. Husband of Mary I, Bloody Mary.
  • King Cole, don't the numbers (officially) start after the Conquest? Hence Edward I, despite him following on from Edward the Confessor and Edward the Elder.

Norman usurpers.

We’ve never been conquered by the French.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Donald would be a wonderful regnal name. The Donald would become just a Donald
  • Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414
    Cyclefree said:

Anazina said:

Charles said:

Yorkcity said:

HHemmelig said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

#AbolishTheMonarchy

Something to do with Philip II of Spain and Queen Mary I think.

Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Charles said:

Yorkcity said:

HHemmelig said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

#AbolishTheMonarchy

Third time lucky?
    If you strictly follow the line of Jacobite succession, there have been four of the buggers.
    And, I gather, some of them were.

DavidL said:

Trump is an arse but he is an arse in a position of considerable power and influence who can have adverse effects on us. It is the job of the government of the day to deal with arses if that is in the national interest. Those in non governmental positions, such as the Mayor of London, are free to indulge themselves in a way that Ministers are not although I think inviting him to reflect on the wisdom of doing so is entirely appropriate.

It is not in our interests to get involved in spats with Trump, however tempting it may be. Sometimes, as with the UN resolution on Jerusalem, we may feel we have no alternative to expressly and publically disagree with him but it is generally in our interests to keep these occasions to a minimum.

Trump has personally attacked Khan on a number of occasions. Khan has every right to respond. Not everyone can show the restraint that President Obama did when Boris Johnson personally attacked him.

Oh for heaven's sake. They're grown ups (or meant to be). Not 4 year olds.

Restraint indeed..... Khan has a day job and should get on with it. Not spend his time responding to something over which he has no control. If he wants to show contempt, silence and ignoring someone is far more effective.

Just because you can Twitter doesn't mean you should. In fact, life would be a whole load better if Twitter was used as little as possible. Most of it is best left unsaid. And, yes, that applies to you too Donald......
    edited January 2018
    Charles said:

RobD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Woeful autocorrect there. That's what I get for typing replies on my phone. :p
  • HYUFD said:

Both Macron and Trudeau have also very publicly established that they are not afraid to be critical of Trump and have demonstrated their independence. That has given them the freedom domestically to engage with the US president. May’s timidity makes it much harder for her to do the same.

There's that, but also her strategic position makes it much harder for her to do the same. The British voters decided to rip up most of their trade agreements, she unwisely put herself on an exceedingly tight timetable to do this, and now she needs favours from governments all over the world, especially the bigger countries. Trump is petty and vindictive, like it or not she wouldn't be sensible to needlessly piss him off.

Of course. But there’s nothing that Trump can deliver on trade - not that he’d be inclined to anyway. I guess that’s what makes it all so embarrassing.

Mr. Eagles, indeed, although it was close run in the early 13th century. Fortunately for us, King John guaranteed English victory with his masterstroke of dropping dead before the war was over.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709

RobD said:
    Or in other words avoid the need for a second EU referendum which would be a Leave landslide

Cyclefree said:

Anazina said:

Charles said:

Yorkcity said:

HHemmelig said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

#AbolishTheMonarchy

Something to do with Philip II of Spain and Queen Mary I think.
    Presumably they've kicked off every time Prince Philip turned up in the Province then......

Charles should call himself King Louis. That'd learn them......
    Miss Cyclefree, must admit, I'm more concerned about Charles' reported idiocy in wanting to change from Defender of the Faith to Defender of Faith.

Miss Cyclefree, must admit, I'm more concerned about Charles' reported idiocy in wanting to change from Defender of the Faith to Defender of Faith.

Who cares? I'd prefer him to become Defender of the Faithless, but chance would be a bloody fine thing.
    Miss Anazina, you are a silly sausage.
    edited January 2018

Support for the monarchy is about the only thing a majority of Tory, Labour, LD, UKIP voters, teenagers and pensioners now agree on. Even 57% of Labour voters back the monarchy, though support is highest amongst Tories at 88%

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2015/09/08/monarchy-here-stay/
  • Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Restraint indeed..... Khan has a day job and should get on with it. Not spend his time responding to something over which he has no control. If he wants to show contempt, silence and ignoring someone is far more effective.

Just because you can Twitter doesn't mean you should. In fact, life would be a whole load better if Twitter was used as little as possible. Most of it is best left unsaid. And, yes, that applies to you too Donald......

Khan seems to have spent 30 seconds putting together a comment that the vast majority of the people he serves and represents would agree with. If Boris genuinely thinks that will harm US-UK relations, then he is in the wrong job or Trump is not someone we can ever hope to do any kind of business with. It’s probably a combination of the two, to be fair.

• VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,429
    So Charles could be King Philip II?
  • murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,037
    Scott_P said:
    We all know that Donald J Trump is a pathological liar...

Mr. Eagles, indeed, although it was close run in the early 13th century. Fortunately for us, King John guaranteed English victory with his masterstroke of dropping dead before the war was over.

I was going to post king john Mr morris another reason john won't be used again ;-)
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Cyclefree said:

He'd presumably have to be Philip II. Philip I (as he would retrospectively become) would not exactly be a pin-up of the bowler-hatted contingent.
  • Scott_P said:
    Trump seems determined to use his presidency to drive Asia, Europe and Africa closer to China.

Mr. Johnno, from what I've read, John is the worst king we've ever had. Treacherous, extortionist, cruel, incompetent at war. A few revisionist beancounters think that his levying of taxes and fines (at such high rates people could scarcely afford it and were brutalised if they didn't) and calling in of immediate debts (which usually had decades-long repayment periods in the Middle Ages) counts in his favour.

Quite a mix with kings though. The first Edwards or the three Richards were all rather different.

So Charles could be King Philip II?

If you take Gibraltar into account he could be I and IV

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Khan seems to have spent 30 seconds putting together a comment that the vast majority of the people he serves and represents would agree with. If Boris genuinely thinks that will harm US-UK relations, then he is in the wrong job or Trump is not someone we can ever hope to do any kind of business with. It’s probably a combination of the two, to be fair.

Indeed. Short-term tactics. But strategically silly, for the reasons I put upthread and won't bother repeating.

I'd rather the Mayor spent time making life easier for people living in London than on Twitter. Doing rather than speaking.

He could do worse than take up the suggestions of area recycling sessions for furniture, as practised in Germany and Hungary, for instance.

"Defender of Rationality" would be nice.
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @benrileysmith: “Mr President, are you a racist," reporter shouts at Trump in White House. This does not happen every day.
    Tory clean sweep in last night's 4 council by elections

https://mobile.twitter.com/NCPoliticsUK/status/951808240467283968
  • Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414

Cyclefree said:

He'd presumably have to be Philip II. Philip I (as he would retrospectively become) would not exactly be a pin-up of the bowler-hatted contingent.
    Though ironically he did try to persuade his wife that burning protestants wasn't a good idea.
    Scott_P said:

@benrileysmith: “Mr President, are you a racist," reporter shouts at Trump in White House. This does not happen every day.

They do lap it up, don't they? :D
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @DavidNakamura: At the White House, Trump shakes hands with MLK Jr. family members as reporters yell out whether he will apologize for "shithole" comments and "are you a racist?'
    Dunno about Haiti, but all the sub Saharan African countries I have been to are shitholes, and the inhabitants would be the first to confirm that.
    RobD said:

Charles said:

RobD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

"Descendants of her body". Like all of us, she was 90% bacteria by cell count, so there's strains of e. coli out there with a place in the running order.

Defender of Windsor FC?
  • VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,429
    My understanding is that Philip and Mary were joint monarchs like William III and Mary II thus the next king Philip would be II?
    Scott_P said:

@DavidNakamura: At the White House, Trump shakes hands with MLK Jr. family members as reporters yell out whether he will apologize for "shithole" comments and "are you a racist?'

Truly incredible...

We live in truly uncharted times....
    RobD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

As we all share a common ancestor, theoretically my cat is in line to throne, should several millions of other beings quite rationally decline to join the royal shitshow.
    Miss Anazina, only if you're claiming your cat is descended from Sophia, Electress of Hanover.

F1: Williams still haven't announced Sirotkin. One wonders why they're faffing about.
    edited January 2018
    Anazina said:

RobD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

As we all share a common ancestor, theoretically my cat is in line to throne, should several millions of other beings quite rationally decline to join the royal shitshow.
    Are we all descendants of Sophia? I thought that there were only a few thousand.
    HYUFD said:

They were defending three of them and the fourth was a gain from Ind. Would put last night down as a ‘relief; could have been a lot worse.'
    Ishmael_Z said:

RobD said:

Charles said:

RobD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

"Descendants of her body". Like all of us, she was 90% bacteria by cell count, so there's strains of e. coli out there with a place in the running order.
    Na, the Act talks about issue, which I think is legal speak for child.
    Anazina said:

RobD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

No, because the latest universal common ancestor predates Sophia, Electress of Hanover by a comfortable margin of 3-4 bn years.
  • rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    RobD said:

Anazina said:

RobD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Are we all descendants of Sophia? I thought that there were only a few thousand.
    Oh dear, in 35 years we've gone from Thatcher needing a Willy to every monarchy needing one...

I admit though, the Netherlands, Norway, Denmark and Sweden are civilised countries and seem to manage with constitutional monarchies. Can't we just clip the wings of our monarchy more thoroughly so that it takes a bare minimum of money? Their homes might as well be made into paid tourist attractions like Hidcote Gardens but slightly more spectacular.
    Ishmael_Z said:

Dunno about Haiti, but all the sub Saharan African countries I have been to are shitholes, and the inhabitants would be the first to confirm that.

Which countries?

The countries I have been to sub-Saharan Africa are truly beautiful with wonderful friendly people. So welcoming and willing to share whatever little they had.

HYUFD said:

They were defending three of them and the fourth was a gain from Ind. Would put last night down as a ‘relief; could have been a lot worse.'
    If it had been four LD hold/gains, we'd be on our third thread about it by now....

*gets banned*
  • OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

The numbers start after the Conquest because it was the Continental tradition to use numbers while the English preferred to use more poetic descriptions: the Unready, the Confessor, etc. I guess Harold took one in the eye before he could be given his moniker.

If we are going to keep the monarchy, as seems likely, I'd really like too see us revive this old tradition.
    edited January 2018
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

If it had been four LD hold/gains, we'd be on our third thread about it by now....

*gets banned*
    Not sure about ‘Holds” but 4 LD Gains! !!!!!!!!!!

Mind I’m seriously thinking of going back to Labour.
    Mr. Me, it is noteworthy that regnal epithets post-Conquest are relatively few (the Lionheart stands out. John is, I think, the only king to have two nicknames which are both bad [Lackland, and Softsword. He might as well have been called John Floppycock]).

However, the French had numerous kings with epithets, Charles the Bald, Charles the Mad etc.

Apparently the numbers only really kicked off with the Edwards, because there were three in a row and it helped differentiate them. Of course, that meant Edward I wasn't Edward I (it's also debatable whether Henry III was really Henry IV).

I do like the epithets. They add character. We could have Charles/George the Green.

The numbers start after the Conquest because it was the Continental tradition to use numbers while the English preferred to use more poetic descriptions: the Unready, the Confessor, etc. I guess Harold took one in the eye before he could be given his moniker.

If we are going to keep the monarchy, as seems likely, I'd really like too see us revive this old tradition.
    I fear Harold hadn’t got past Godwinson.
  • Mr. Me, it is noteworthy that regnal epithets post-Conquest are relatively few (the Lionheart stands out. John is, I think, the only king to have two nicknames which are both bad [Lackland, and Softsword. He might as well have been called John Floppycock]).

However, the French had numerous kings with epithets, Charles the Bald, Charles the Mad etc.

Apparently the numbers only really kicked off with the Edwards, because there were three in a row and it helped differentiate them. Of course, that meant Edward I wasn't Edward I (it's also debatable whether Henry III was really Henry IV).

I do like the epithets. They add character. We could have Charles/George the Green.

Charles the Adulterer.

or

Charles the Cuckold.
  • TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Pesky experts and their predictions of Brexit doom and gloom..

http://www.cityam.com/278604/german-car-suppliers-could-face-thousands-job-losses-if

A hard Brexit would threaten around 14,000 jobs at car suppliers in Germany, according to a new report from Deloitte.

The UK is the largest sales market in the EU for German suppliers, and Germany is the largest exporter of car parts to the UK. Deloitte forecast that in the event of a Brexit, without any trade agreement and World Trade Organisation duties, revenues of German suppliers would be hit to the tune of €3.8bn in 2019.

Mr. Me, it is noteworthy that regnal epithets post-Conquest are relatively few (the Lionheart stands out. John is, I think, the only king to have two nicknames which are both bad [Lackland, and Softsword. He might as well have been called John Floppycock]).

William the Bald
  • rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    edited January 2018
    It would not be at all unusual if Charles adopts a different regnal name from his first. His grandfather, George VI's, first name was Albert, as was his grandfather, Edward VII's.
    Mr. Eagles, honestly. I'd castigate you for lowering the tone but I fear my post about John Floppycock might count against me.
    murali_s said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Which countries?

The countries I have been to sub-Saharan Africa are truly beautiful with wonderful friendly people. So welcoming and willing to share whatever little they had.
    I am talking about the countries, not their inhabitants. There is a clue in "what little they had", another in the average life expectancy, and a third in the fact that it is a safe bet at any odds that the President and anyone else in government who has stolen enough money to do so, would rather leave a medical condition untreated than have it operated on in the hospitals of their own country.

About a dozen, cba to list them.
    edited January 2018

Charles the Adulterer.

or

Charles the Cuckold.
    Was anyone swiving Diana PoW? Obviously I know about Hewitt, but Harry also looks like some Windsor forebears.
    If someone was. of course, he’s VERY lucky he didn’t end up in pieces outside the Tower!
    edited January 2018

Charles the Adulterer.

or

Charles the Cuckold.
    There's a Berthe au grand pied who crops up in a Villon poem.
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

The Vikings did this for everyone. Notker the Stammerer, Ragnar Hairybreeks and Einar the Paunch-Shaker are three I recall.

My other half still does this. Jumpers Richard, DTI Tony and Jammy George are three of his epithets for friends.
    edited January 2018
    Mr. Meeks, also worth mentioning that nobles were often called after their place of birth, hence John of Gaunt.

The Vikings bloody loved nicknames. The last king of York (Jorvik) was Erik Bloodaxe.

Edited extra bit: the Eastern Romans had a few nicknames, but mostly not. Nicephorus Phocas was known as The White Death of the Saracens (I occasionally wonder if the emperor's nickname in The Witcher is based on this), and Basil was called the Bulgar-Slayer after his Balkan antics.
    edited January 2018

The Vikings did this for everyone. Notker the Stammerer, Ragnar Hairybreeks and Einar the Paunch-Shaker are three I recall.

My other half still does this. Jumpers Richard, DTI Tony and Jammy George are three of his epithets for friends.
    Similar descriptions in the pub in which I drink. Done-it-all-Dave has done EVERYTHING.
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,005

I wouldn't expect that from him.
  • Mr. Me, it is noteworthy that regnal epithets post-Conquest are relatively few (the Lionheart stands out. John is, I think, the only king to have two nicknames which are both bad [Lackland, and Softsword. He might as well have been called John Floppycock]).

Charles the Adulterer.

or

Charles the Cuckold.
    Was anyone swiving Diana PoW? Obviously I know about Hewitt, but Harry also looks like some Windsor forebears.
    If someone was. of course, he’s VERY lucky he didn’t end up in pieces outside the Tower!
    It was reported Diana that in the early/mid 80s was making the beast with two backs with her bodyguard, who was also killed in a car accident

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3732468/How-Diana-lover-s-bedroom-cigar-set-Kensington-palace-smoke-alarm-3-30am-undertook-series-ill-fated-affairs.html
This discussion has been closed.