Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » UKIP voters are the only ones who think Donald Trump is more i

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited January 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » UKIP voters are the only ones who think Donald Trump is more intelligent than average

I doubt if the occupant of the White House reads the Observer or actually look at polling that is anything other than flattering him. But if he did he is his current apparent anger with the UK would have been reinforced.

Read the full story here

Comments

• NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263
    edited January 2018
    Tory voters in two minds about it :) [and first!]
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Good morning, everyone.

I wonder if anyone's taking the view that Trump is a bit like the lead role in I, Claudius.

Carillion to go into liquidation: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42687032
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,715
    To be fair to the man (why????) while he hasn’t done all that well in business... quite a significant bankruptcy and near-bankruptcy record for his companies ........he has, up to now at any rate, exhibited a considerable degree of low cunning. Either that or he has, up to now, been able to recruit, and, sometime, listen to, fairly sensible advisors.
  • Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    edited January 2018

Good morning, everyone.

I wonder if anyone's taking the view that Trump is a bit like the lead role in I, Claudius.

Only if he promotes a horse to the senate and marries his sister
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164
    I'd answer don't know, but if forced to guess, I'd say more intelligent.
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Blue_rog said:

Good morning, everyone.

Only if he promotes a horse to the senate and marries his sister
    Wrong emperor.
  • alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    Maybe this is a comment on differing perceptions of average intelligence? ;)
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,557
    . I thought it was wrong, for instance, for Boris Johnson to attack Labour over the cancellation of Trump’s visit..

I'm not absolutely sure about that.
    While I yeild to no one in my contempt for Trump, in international relations (n
    it least those concerning our most powerful ally), a degree of pragmatism is essential. It's perfectly possible, as Macron has demonstrated, to retain a certain moral distance from Trump at the same time as refraining from a war of words.
    edited January 2018
    Another failure for the banks and their lending practices.

Any Government bailout would be for them, not the company and probably weren't prepared to do that.
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    alex. said:

Another failure for the banks and their lending practices.

Astonishing that they don't seem to have learnt anything since 2008.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,758
    Definitely of above-average intelligence (pretty much a prerequisite for a President). That does not make him a decent man.
  • Of course Trump is of above average intelligence.

But I'm unsurprised that many members of the metropolitan elite believe otherwise. It reflects how narrow they are. They think 'everybody' is similar to themselves. The average level of intelligence (as opposed to native cunning) is not very high.....

Good morning, everyone.

No, Mr.D.
    The only facade he's operating from beneath is whatever produces the strange orange colouration, and his deeply unconvincing combover.
  • currystarcurrystar Posts: 1,171
    In our company we have had some dealings with Carillion. They are a terrible company and terrible payers. They would do anything to delay payment. They were also Health & Safety freaks, more interested in stopping you working for some bizarre Health & Safety reason than getting the job done. They took a number of local firms down by not paying them. Therefore we have not done any business with them for a few years. I think there is a high level of criminality amongst the directors.
    Nigelb said:

. I thought it was wrong, for instance, for Boris Johnson to attack Labour over the cancellation of Trump’s visit..

it least those concerning our most powerful ally), a degree of pragmatism is essential. It's perfectly possible, as Macron has demonstrated, to retain a certain moral distance from Trump at the same time as refraining from a war of words.

Problem all comes back to the early fawning and the offering of the state visit. They've been treading on eggshells ever since. The Government are on a hook they are struggling to get off - would it be surprising if one actually got to final stages of preparation only for Trump to cancel on a whim at the last minute?
  • david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,401
    Disappointing stats and not a little revealing of the sneering attitude that says that anyone who disagrees with me must be an idiot - particularly if they're a bit boorish into the bargain. There's also, I suspect, a semi-racist view of many on the left towards Americans and particularly Republican-voting Americans - that they must be stupid because they believe in God, the 2nd Amendment and their country.

Trump is hugely (bigly) self-delusional and narcissistic, and thin-skinned and petulant. Those might be poor qualities for a leader but they're not signs of themselves of stupidity.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,052
    Sean_F said:

Definitely of above-average intelligence (pretty much a prerequisite for a President). That does not make him a decent man.

He is a very stable genius...

He certainly used to be of above average intelligence. When you see him speak in clips from a decade or two ago, he was quite articulate.

Is he still that intelligent now? I am not so sure.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,955
    I think that Trump that is more intelligent than the majority of his voters.

He also seems to be smarter than most of his opponents.
    The Guardian website has been revamped:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk
    Mr. Herdson, you make him sound a bit like Richard II.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    UKIP voters being the only UK voters likely to have voted for Trump in 2016 had they been American this is hardly surprising.

However there is a difference between being an intellectual, which Trump is not and being sharp and intelligent, which someone who is a billionaire and got elected President clearly is

Disappointing stats and not a little revealing of the sneering attitude that says that anyone who disagrees with me must be an idiot - particularly if they're a bit boorish into the bargain. There's also, I suspect, a semi-racist view of many on the left towards Americans and particularly Republican-voting Americans - that they must be stupid because they believe in God, the 2nd Amendment and their country.

Trump is hugely (bigly) self-delusional and narcissistic, and thin-skinned and petulant. Those might be poor qualities for a leader but they're not signs of themselves of stupidity.

I wonder if the polling would get a different answer if it stated "more intelligent than the average American"? ;)
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540

Of course Trump is of above average intelligence.

But I'm unsurprised that many members of the metropolitan elite believe otherwise. It reflects how narrow they are. They think 'everybody' is similar to themselves. The average level of intelligence (as opposed to native cunning) is not very high.....

In fairness to the metropolitan elite in this case it’s average voters getting it wrong - it would be astonishing if Trump’s IQ were below 100 - another way of looking at this poll might be “how morally superior do I feel”......slam dunk for the Lib Dems.....
    Cyrille Regis has died.

Very astute summation David.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    Nigelb said:

+1.

He may be a frightful vulgarian with reprehensible views, but he is the President and we must deal with the world as it is, not as we would wish it it be.
  • currystar said:

In our company we have had some dealings with Carillion. They are a terrible company and terrible payers. They would do anything to delay payment. They were also Health & Safety freaks, more interested in stopping you working for some bizarre Health & Safety reason than getting the job done. They took a number of local firms down by not paying them. Therefore we have not done any business with them for a few years. I think there is a high level of criminality amongst the directors.

In my experience, Currystar, when a firm is slow to pay, it is in money trouble.

I recently posted a note on here indicating how slowly I and a good friend had been paid out by Betway. Any punters here who have an account should take note.
  • CD13CD13 Posts: 6,349
    edited January 2018
    Mr Herdson,

It's well known that most people consider themselves to be above average intelligence. The extremes in politics certainly do.

An example ... the famous Jim Hacker phrase ..."The Guardian is read by those who think they should rule the country" is true, and that's because they do believe they have superior intellect. Having a large majority of Remainers in their ranks exacerbates the situation. Assuming they automatically know better, they will naturally believe their opinions must be right.

I thought the report of families falling out over the referendum weird. My wife and I walked to the polling booth to cast contradictory votes. Kids split evenly too but it's a source of amusement only. Some things are far more important than politics.

Mr. Herdson, you make him sound a bit like Richard II.

It's not really my era but interesting comparison. Invited obsequiousness has much to answer for, especially when there's just enough evidence to justify the flattery in the minds of those prepared to take a favourable view of the evidence.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    AndyJS said:

The Guardian website has been revamped:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk

I’m travelling today so did plan to buy a copy of the paper to read on the train. It felt too thin for the money being charged especially as the reasons why I bought it on Monday (their media section) has disappeared over the years
  • Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    Trump's personality flaws count more than his intelligence.
    CD13 said:

Mr Herdson,

It's well known that most people consider themselves to be above average intelligence. The extremes in politics certainly do.

An example ... the famous Jim Hacker phrase ..."The Guardian is read by those who think they should rule the country" is true, and that's because they do believe they have superior intellect. Having a large majority of Remainers in their ranks exacerbates the situation. Assuming they automatically know better, they will naturally believe their opinions must be right.

I thought the report of families falling out over the referendum weird. My wife and I walked to the polling booth to cast contradictory votes. Kids split evenly too but it's a source of amusement only. Some things are far more important than politics.

My wife and my father voted Remain, my mother and I voted Leave, but we haven't fallen out over it.
  • John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

Good morning all.

I think few would dispute that. But he's not a stupid man, just a ghastly one.
    edited January 2018
    alex. said:

I wonder if the polling would get a different answer if it stated "more intelligent than the average American"? ;)
    Who in turn earns more than the average Briton before we get too superior !
    Mr. Herdson, to be honest, it's a bit modern for me too but I just read a Henry IV bio, so it's fresh in my mind.

Richard II changed the view on treason so it essentially amounted to disagreeing with him. Whilst his power was sharply curtailed by a rebellion that very nearly toppled him, he subsequently managed to divide his enemies and thwart them by a combination of bullying, exile, and execution. Unfortunately, he pissed off so many people that when Henry IV (to-be) returned from exile huge numbers flocked to his banner [this wasn't helped by Richard's personal cowardice when it came to war].
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,956
    edited January 2018
    Is Jo Marney more or less intelligent than Donald Trump?
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    Sean_F said:

CD13 said:

Mr Herdson,

My wife and my father voted Remain, my mother and I voted Leave, but we haven't fallen out over it.
    There were differences of opinion in many families, but very few will have seriously fallen out over it.
  • Sad news - Cyrille Regis former footballer at WBA and England has died at 59
  • TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    The question has no answer.
    What does one mean by "intelligence"?
    And, anyway, how do you measure the "intelligence" of a jackass?
  • From Red Box

So Bolton has a choice: does he make the heartbreaking decision to distance himself from a catalogue of unpleasant, racist views from an attention-seeking irrelevance born a quarter of a century ago? Or does he stick with Ukip and dump his girlfriend instead?
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    Yep without passing comment on the question I can see all those super intelligent people pondering just how such an unintelligent person could become POTUS.
    CD13 said:

Mr Herdson,

Probably, most extremists are of above-average intelligence. They are frequently very well-read and well-informed, and at some level, need to engage with opposing arguments, if only to reject them.

Any leader who is not a hereditary monarch needs to be pretty intelligent. It's how they become leaders.
  • Scott_P said:
    Decision as a result of complaints from some employees not passengers.
  • Who on earth is Rebecca Long Bailey - hasn't a clue
  • CD13 said:

Mr Herdson,

If you want to have an argument across the generations then do this calculation:

5 + 2 x 8 = ?

And if you want to see how technology has changed then try it on a pocket or computer calculator and then on a mobile phone calculator.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038

Sad news - Cyrille Regis former footballer at WBA and England has died at 59

sad news indeed.
  • From Red Box

So Bolton has a choice: does he make the heartbreaking decision to distance himself from a catalogue of unpleasant, racist views from an attention-seeking irrelevance born a quarter of a century ago? Or does he stick with Ukip and dump his girlfriend instead?

Dumped his girlfriend

currystar said:

In my experience, Currystar, when a firm is slow to pay, it is in money trouble.

I recently posted a note on here indicating how slowly I and a good friend had been paid out by Betway. Any punters here who have an account should take note.
    Just to work for them you had to accept 90 day terms, you would normally get paid after 180 days
  • From Red Box

Dumped his girlfriend
    What a cad and bounder.

In fact he’s a roué.
  • I think that poll is a good indicator of whether people are able to let common sense overrule their own prejudices.

Trump is certainly reprehensible in many ways but that's not the same as being below average intelligence.

Who on earth is Rebecca Long Bailey - hasn't a clue

Took over from Hazel Blears as Labour MP for Salford.
    currystar said:

currystar said:

Just to work for them you had to accept 90 day terms, you would normally get paid after 180 days
    They officially moved to 120 days some months back.
    Mr. Eagles, a cad and a bounder - sounds like he has your full support :tongue:

Miss Vance, IQ is an interesting stat but it shouldn't be taken as a definition of intelligence.
  • swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,435

From Red Box

Dumped his girlfriend
    What a cad and bounder.

In fact he’s a roué.
    In the words of Alan Partridge "Marney......let battle commence" (you'll know what I mean if you've seen it)
    edited January 2018

Mr. Eagles, a cad and a bounder - sounds like he has your full support :tongue:

Miss Vance, IQ is an interesting stat but it shouldn't be taken as a definition of intelligence.

I’m an English gentleman.

Though a Bishop of Bath and Wells might ask me if I would consider a career in the Church of England.

She has a long history of not having a clue.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880
    CD13 said:

I used to think that I didn't personally know anyone who voted leave (I am not from or currently living on a council estate) but a few of the friends I have from car stuff have since outed themselves. One recently asked to borrow my jumper pack. I hope he enjoyed pushing his E90.

This article is pertinent (as is the Dunning-Kruger effect mentioned...):
    https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2018/01/how-actual-smart-people-talk-about-themselves/549878/
  • AndyJS said:

Thanks - not at all sure she has a clue
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Define intelligence.
  • Define intelligence.

Why

CD13 said:

Mr Herdson,

If you want to have an argument across the generations then do this calculation:

5 + 2 x 8 = ?

And if you want to see how technology has changed then try it on a pocket or computer calculator and then on a mobile phone calculator.
    21. BODMAS.
    iPhone agrees with me.
  • CD13 said:

Mr Herdson,

5 + 2 x 8 = ?

I spit on your cumbersome operator precedence and brackets. Reverse Polish Notation is the only true way of expressing expressions:

2 8 x 5 + = ?

Come back, Jupiter Ace. All is forgiven.

Define intelligence.

Why
    Because there are many types and on some Donald Trump seems to score very highly and on others he seems to be a borderline imbecile.
  • SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    Trump isn't stupid. He may say stupid things, but politicians of all shapes and sizes do that depending on what other peoplw want to hear.

As said, there is an increasingly ugly tendency to think that people which you disagree with are stupid. It's a clear form of bigotry. I think most people have it to a certain degree, and its a natural response, but people should do their best to supress it.
    AndyJS said:

Blears was a giant in comparison.....

currystar said:

currystar said:

They officially moved to 120 days some months back.
    So Carillion were getting paid straight away by the Government, then did not pay their suppliers for 120 days, yet have gone bust owing billions. Im sure some of the Directors have trousered plenty.
  • Sandpit said:

CD13 said:

Mr Herdson,

5 + 2 x 8 = ?

21. BODMAS.
    iPhone agrees with me.
    Once again iPhones prove their superiority.
  • So how did Carillion have £1.5bn debts ?

Do the banks ever learn ?
  • Define intelligence.

Why
    Because there are many types and on some Donald Trump seems to score very highly and on others he seems to be a borderline imbecile.
    To be fair I hoped you may help by providing your own definition

That is certainly true. This study gives suggested IQ levels for the first 43 presidents.
    Despite the accompanying analysis claiming a correlation between success and intelligence, to the extent that there is, it's a very loose one: several of the most successful presidents are among the least intelligent (note - they all are given IQs above 115, so are pretty much entirely top decile - it's very much relative), while equally some of the more intelligent presidents sit well down into the bottom half in success:

https://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/data-mine/2015/05/27/poindexter-in-chief-presidential-iqs-and-success-in-the-oval-office
    BBC News Channel has disappeared into thin air.

From Red Box

It depends how hot she is.
    It has to be said that Henry Bolton is having a next level midlife crisis.
  • AndyJS said:

OK here

500 million owed by Middle East Companies
    AndyJS said:

Was it run by Carillion?
  • SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

So how did Carillion have £1.5bn debts ?

depends what their debt ratio was

Define intelligence.

Why
    He possesses cunning, business acumen, and seems to be a shrewd psychologist. Yet, he is very poor at prioritising things.

Well it also had a large amount of assets, revenues and market capitalisation.

Apple has $75 bn in debts despite being awash in cash.
  • So who was Carillion's auditor and have the directors received contracts which guaranttees them millions from now to domesday ?
    Mr. JS, I hope they're playing classical music instead.

From Red Box

Dumped his girlfriend
    What a cad and bounder.

In fact he’s a roué.
    What do you suppose first attracted the 20something racist to the leader of UKIP?
  • John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

CD13 said:

Mr Herdson,

5 + 2 x 8 = ?

I spit on your cumbersome operator precedence and brackets. Reverse Polish Notation is the only true way of expressing expressions:

2 8 x 5 + = ?

Come back, Jupiter Ace. All is forgiven.
    I remember programming in Forth back in the day. Gave it up to become a dinosaur hunter.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 15,542
    edited January 2018
    Donald Trump has the emotional intelligence of a five year old. He literally behaves like a five year old - rather than like a teenager, for example. On that score he is clearly less intelligent than a normal adult. If Wolff's reports are true that Trump has a habit of retelling the same anecdote several times to the same person within minutes, it suggests he is in the early stages of dementia. He has very little curiosity about people, places and facts. On the other hand he has a high transactional ability and I suspect his IQ is high.

Against other recent presidents, which is maybe a meaningful comparison, I would say he is overall more intelligent than George W Bush and less so than Bill Clinton and Barack Obama. But the reason why we are discussing this and the poll was taken, is Donald Trump own claims to unusual intelligence.

On Carillion, the facilities services part should be an OK business on its own or sold off to a competitor. The construction side is a mess and will result in some very large bills for the taxpayer.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517

Define intelligence.

+1

I think there's been this discussion on here before. ;)
    Mr. 43, Trump just had his first medical as president (brought in after Reagan, I think, to avoid the problems of a president who was losing himself to Alzheimer's or similar). If there is something there, it should show up.
  • Carillion's chairman:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_Nevill_Green

' Green is also Chairman Designate of Williams & Glyn, the UK challenger bank that is being divested by Royal Bank of Scotland '

Not for much longer I presume.

' He advised the British prime minister David Cameron on issues such as corporate responsibility '

Considering what I've read today I hope Dave took it as an example of what not to do.

' Green was appointed Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE) in the 2014 Birthday Honours '

Not for much longer I presume.

Well it also had a large amount of assets, revenues and market capitalisation.

Apple has $75 bn in debts despite being awash in cash.
    Apparently it has few assets and little to sell
  • Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

That is certainly true. This study gives suggested IQ levels for the first 43 presidents.
    Despite the accompanying analysis claiming a correlation between success and intelligence, to the extent that there is, it's a very loose one: several of the most successful presidents are among the least intelligent (note - they all are given IQs above 115, so are pretty much entirely top decile - it's very much relative), while equally some of the more intelligent presidents sit well down into the bottom half in success:

https://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/data-mine/2015/05/27/poindexter-in-chief-presidential-iqs-and-success-in-the-oval-office
    It is often said that success is 90% perspiration and 10% inspiration. Sometimes, intelligence is less important than sheer bl**dy mindedness. Maybe Trump fits into that category?

Alternatively, he comes from a wealthy background so perhaps his superpower is that he hss always been able to afford to surround himself with intelligent people who can deliver his goals and who keep their mouths shut when he claims the success?
    edited January 2018
    Anyhoo, this is today’s major news, Boris wants us to remain in the EU.

Boris has told confidantes that still having to accept dictats from Brussels would leave the UK as “just another Norway” and the nationwide vote’s landmark result would have proved “a total waste of time”.

In that soft Brexit scenario, the mop-haired Tory boss has even claimed to pals: “I’d rather us stay in than leave like that”

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5339046/boris-johnson-warns-allies-that-brexit-is-still-far-from-certain-and-they-face-a-big-fight-to-deliver-it/
    Mr. Eagles, but staying would not be under existing terms, would it? It'd mean losing every opt-out we have. Joining Schengen, being on the path for the euro, etc.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517

Define intelligence.

Why
    To be fair I hoped you may help by providing your own definition
    It's not that easy. One of the problems with Artificial Intelligence is defining 'intelligence' so you know when you've artificially made it. For instance, here in Cambridge people are working on defining types of intelligence:

http://lcfi.ac.uk/projects/kinds-intelligence/
  • AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    Sandpit said:

CD13 said:

Mr Herdson,

5 + 2 x 8 = ?

21. BODMAS.
    iPhone agrees with me.
    While the iPhone does indeed surprisingly get it 'right', it's all ludicrous. Only a fool would pose an equation that could be interpreted more than one way depending on the generation of the solver and/or the device he is solving it on. The wise setter uses brackets:

5 + (2x8) =

or

(2x8) + 5 =

leave no room for ambiguity.

Mr. Eagles, but staying would not be under existing terms, would it? It'd mean losing every opt-out we have. Joining Schengen, being on the path for the euro, etc.

An EU official quoted in the press over the weekend said we would have to give up the rebate but could stay outside the Euro and Schengen
  • Mr. Eagles, but staying would not be under existing terms, would it? It'd mean losing every opt-out we have. Joining Schengen, being on the path for the euro, etc.

Who knows.

Eventually you’ll join Farage and Boris and see the error of your ways on Brexit.

Or do you want to go through life being known as a Russian stooge :lol:
  • It has to be said that Henry Bolton is having a next level midlife crisis.

Shouda gone Harley Davidson rather than racist girlfriend.
This discussion has been closed.