Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A worry for LAB? The gloss could be coming off Corbyn’s appeal

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited January 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A worry for LAB? The gloss could be coming off Corbyn’s appeal to young voters

Perhaps the great hope of Corbyn’s Labour is that when the next general election comes, whenever that is, comes that the party will be able to repeat the GE2017 feat and secure huge backing from the youth vote. It was this, of course, combined with a much reduced turnout by the over-65s, that resulted in Theresa May GE17 gamble failing and the Tories losing their majority.

Read the full story here

Comments

• First
  • Assume McDonnell has his fingers in his ears as Trump makes the compelling case for low taxes and reduced regulation
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,706
    I doubt many 18 to 24s will switch to the Tories next time but if fewer of them turn out for Labour that could give Corbyn a problem
  • YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    edited January 2018
    Surely, one of the effects is that the students in 2017 and 2018 are realising that they will be the graduate employees of 2022.

Someone who will be a student in 2022 has a real incentive to vote for Corbyn (most of these people are still in school).

By 2022, the present cohort of students will not be benefiting as they fall into the category of the generation in which "there are no plans to write off student debt", at least according to Angela Rayner.
  • RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    HYUFD said:

I doubt many 18 to 24s will switch to the Tories next time but if fewer of them turn out for Labour that could give Corbyn a problem

It does rather confirm the claim from a Momentum activist that another 2 weeks and Labour would have actually won the last election.
  • Corbyn is quite bad at day to day politics, so this sort of fall should be expected.
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Curious that it peaked at only 47%. Given the claimed enthusiasm of this age group for Jeremy Corbyn, that's rather low.

Perhaps Labour's support always was more about the policies rather than the leader.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,786
    Momentum have definitely been trying to defend Corbyn against attacks on his position on Brexit. There's even been a rival hashtag #PCPEU which means pro-Corbyn, pro-EU, because they perceived #FBPE as undermining support for Corbyn.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,583
    HYUFD said:

That is true. Brexit ambivalence is also a valid issue that will ensure many youngsters will not come out to vote Labour
  • They are getting bored. On to the next fad.

HYUFD said:

It does rather confirm the claim from a Momentum activist that another 2 weeks and Labour would have actually won the last election.
    It may have been able to do a deal with the SNP, I doubt it would have won an overall majority

HYUFD said:

That is true. Brexit ambivalence is also a valid issue that will ensure many youngsters will not come out to vote Labour
    Corbyn has to carefully balance his young voters support for Remain with his working class voters support for Leave
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Corbyn has to carefully balance his young voters support for Remain with his working class voters support for Leave
    Given that polling shows a similar percentage of Conservatives support Remain to the number of Labour voters who support Leave, how do you suggest the Conservatives should try to perform the same careful balancing act?
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    Any link to the tables for this? How high were the don't knows? Any word on other age group movements?
    Without this information it is difficult to draw conclusions.

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Given that polling shows a similar percentage of Conservatives support Remain to the number of Labour voters who support Leave, how do you suggest the Conservatives should try to perform the same careful balancing act?
    The Tories are quite clear they want a FTA with the EU while leaving the single market and customs union and ending free movement, Labour is still not certain what it wants
  • rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,879

Curious that it peaked at only 47%. Given the claimed enthusiasm of this age group for Jeremy Corbyn, that's rather low.

Perhaps Labour's support always was more about the policies rather than the leader.

YouGov did some polling on that and found 18-24 y/olds voted Labour in 2017 for the policies (26%) slightly more than Jezza (24%). That gap is much larger for 25-49 group.

Personally I think it’s the interaction between popular policies and personal authenticity. Corbyn is trusted not to do a Nick Clegg.

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2017/07/11/why-people-voted-labour-or-conservative-2017-gener/
  • RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Good point. In fact it is worse for the Conservatives. They are actually doing Brexit so risk making enemies of people who perceive themselves to be losers from the process. And I suspect that current Tory remainers feel more strongly about remaining than Labour leavers feel about leaving.
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The Tories are quite clear they want a FTA with the EU while leaving the single market and customs union and ending free movement, Labour is still not certain what it wants
    And what if Conservative Remain supports don't want that and would prefer to stay in the single market?
  • rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,879

They are getting bored. On to the next fad.

Fingers crossed the Tory party are similarly complacent.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

And what if Conservative Remain supports don't want that and would prefer to stay in the single market?
    Tough :p

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Well they are likely already voting Labour or LD anyway if they put that as a priority above all given leaving the single market was in the last Tory manifesto and given the only main UK wide party committed to staying permanently in the EU, the LDs, got just 7% that position has few ardent supporters
  • John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    TGOHF said:
    Very sorry that we're seeing this nonsense. I have a number of issues with Labour's stance.

Firstly, self-id trivialises a very complex and often (from my own experience) unpleasant condition. Access to treatment is hard (though some would still say it's too easy) and the process of transition can be tortuous, lengthy and expensive (the NHS might cover the cost of a vaginoplasty, but that's typically a small part of the process, albeit one that completes the journey).

Secondly, the last thing we want to do is to alienate women who are rightly concerned about the message it sends. I know it is easy to gloat at this unhappy intersection of identity politics, but it should be considered outside the traditional partisan left/right divide.
    John_M said:

TGOHF said:
    Very sorry that we're seeing this nonsense. I have a number of issues with Labour's stance.

Firstly, self-id trivialises a very complex and often (from my own experience) unpleasant condition. Access to treatment is hard (though some would still say it's too easy) and the process of transition can be tortuous, lengthy and expensive (the NHS might cover the cost of a vaginoplasty, but that's typically a small part of the process, albeit one that completes the journey).

Secondly, the last thing we want to do is to alienate women who are rightly concerned about the message it sends. I know it is easy to gloat at this unhappy intersection of identity politics, but it should be considered outside the traditional partisan left/right divide.
    How about treating people equally, regardless of their gender?
    RobD said:

John_M said:

TGOHF said:

How about treating people equally, regardless of their gender?
    Once you've decided to have all women shortlists, you've abandoned that concept :).
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,550
    John_M said:

TGOHF said:

She sounds as though she'd be quite at home amongst the social reactionaries of the US Republican party:
    “In fifteen years’ time when your daughters miss out on their Uni places cos of men, when your mum is in a hospital ward with men, when the Olympic women’s 100m gold is won by a man and when a fully grown man follows your little girl into the women’s loos at Maccys… remember us.”..
  • Clearly there is discrimination and bigotry which the Labour Party should confront head-on, by adopting all-trans shortlists, preferably in key marginal seats.
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,122
    TGOHF said:
    Unlike the Labour party which is full of them
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,122

Clearly there is discrimination and bigotry which the Labour Party should confront head-on, by adopting all-trans shortlists, preferably in key marginal seats.

+1. :)
    I expect that this opinion poll will be as closely dissected as YouGov's last opinion poll on the referendum result:

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/28wjbaqogx/Eurotrack_January2018_w.pdf
  • Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019

Clearly there is discrimination and bigotry which the Labour Party should confront head-on, by adopting all-trans shortlists, preferably in key marginal seats.

Or safe seats in Northern working class seats
  • tysontyson Posts: 6,049

Corbyn is quite bad at day to day politics, so this sort of fall should be expected.

A point I was about to make....it's not that he's quite bad, it just seems he's not at all interested in the day to day responsibilities of opposition.

But come the election I doubt there is a single Tory out there who will relish campaigning against him.....

oh Jeremy corbyn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1zLoG6YeA4

• I expect that this opinion poll will be as closely dissected as YouGov's last opinion poll on the referendum result:

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/28wjbaqogx/Eurotrack_January2018_w.pdf

Striking that 66% of Norwegians would vote to leave an organisation of which Norway is not a member.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Good afternoon, everyone.

On-topic: still very good, but the slide does appear to be there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dgp9MPLEAqA

I expect that this opinion poll will be as closely dissected as YouGov's last opinion poll on the referendum result:

The number of people placing the health system as a major issue in the UK compared with the other European countries they polled is striking.

Plus of course it shows a majority for Remain if a referendum were held today...
  • tyson said:

Corbyn is quite bad at day to day politics, so this sort of fall should be expected.

A point I was about to make....it's not that he's quite bad, it just seems he's not at all interested in the day to day responsibilities of opposition.

I wouldn't disagree with any of that, tyson.

but then again, I, too, can promise the moon on a stick.

• Clearly there is discrimination and bigotry which the Labour Party should confront head-on, by adopting all-trans shortlists, preferably in key marginal seats.

chuckle.

Striking that 66% of Norwegians would vote to leave an organisation of which Norway is not a member.
    I presume the question was Join/Don't join in their case.
  • I expect that this opinion poll will be as closely dissected as YouGov's last opinion poll on the referendum result:

Presumably it's for them actually phrased as a poll on supporting joining or not, like we'd have had for the Euro if there was a corresponding Euro Currency poll prior to Brexit.

Indeed the figures are in like with other recent Norwegian EU membership polls that typically report approximately 16% in favour of joining and 66% against.

Which makes you wonder why we shouldn't consider the Norwegian model given how happy they are with it.
    edited January 2018

Presumably it's for them actually phrased as a poll on supporting joining or not, like we'd have had for the Euro if there was a corresponding Euro Currency poll prior to Brexit.

Indeed the figures are in like with other recent Norwegian EU membership polls that typically report approximately 16% in favour of joining and 66% against.

Which makes you wonder why we shouldn't consider the Norwegian model given how happy they are with it.
    When you're a small country sitting atop an enormous bucket of oil and even more enormous sovereign wealth fund it's easy to be happy.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,753

They are getting bored. On to the next fad.

They must be wondering when season II is coming out. Its been a much longer wait than promised. It was supposed to be here by Christmas last year.
    Another strong indicator Sara Khan is a good appointment:
    https://twitter.com/UK_CAGE/status/956891854963953664
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited January 2018

The number of people placing the health system as a major issue in the UK compared with the other European countries they polled is striking.

Yes, especially since the same UK respondents indicate levels of satisfaction in the national healthcare system (and local facilities) which are the same as or higher than non-UK respondents.
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Well they are likely already voting Labour or LD anyway if they put that as a priority above all given leaving the single market was in the last Tory manifesto and given the only main UK wide party committed to staying permanently in the EU, the LDs, got just 7% that position has few ardent supporters
    Polling shows one fifth of people currently intending to vote Tory think that leaving the EU was the wrong decision. What does your position offer them?
    John_M said:

When you're a small country sitting atop an enormous bucket of oil and even more enormous sovereign wealth fund it's easy to be happy.
    You think? Cold, dark and the alcohol is ruinously expensive.

Yes, especially since the same UK respondents indicate levels of satisfaction in the national healthcare system (and local facilities) which are the same as or higher than non-UK respondents.
    Maybe because one party likes to keep banging on about how it is on the verge of collapse? Just a thought.
    Sort of on topic, apparently John McDonnell was hinting in Davos today that Labour might back a universal minimum income and that they are actively investigating the idea. I suspect that might go down very well with this section of the electorate.
    Another point is that whilst it was always the prevailing orthodoxy that oppositions needed to be well ahead in the polls to counter an incumbency swingback during an election campaign, I think the opposite is true with Corbyn.

20% Tory leads vanished into thin air in 2017. And it wasn't the polls overstating things....the council elections the month before showed strong Tory leads.

If you consider the membership differentials, the role of Momentum, Corbyn's idiosyncratic charisma which lights up during a campaign...2022 is going to be a tough gig for the Tories whoever leads them.
    YouGov should have polled Italy. It would have given some striking results, I imagine.
  • OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469
    felix said:

TGOHF said:
    Unlike the Labour party which is full of them
    Are you suggesting that no member of the Tories has one? Perhaps you should discuss this with Boris....

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Polling shows one fifth of people currently intending to vote Tory think that leaving the EU was the wrong decision. What does your position offer them?
    It depends if that's the issue that has most salience with them. Despite appearances to the contrary, I'm not obsessed with the EU; health, housing, defence and the deficit are all things that concern me. It's the nature of the UK political system. I don't get an a la carte political offering, just whatever the Tory (or Labour or Lib Dem) table d'hote is on election day.
  • Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    tyson said:

Another point is that whilst it was always the prevailing orthodoxy that oppositions needed to be well ahead in the polls to counter an incumbency swingback during an election campaign, I think the opposite is true with Corbyn.

20% Tory leads vanished into thin air in 2017. And it wasn't the polls overstating things....the council elections the month before showed strong Tory leads.

If you consider the membership differentials, the role of Momentum, Corbyn's idiosyncratic charisma which lights up during a campaign...2022 is going to be a tough gig for the Tories whoever leads them.

Good point Tyson

YouGov should have polled Italy. It would have given some striking results, I imagine.

That would have been much more interesting. The Germans don't seem to be very happy with their government. Not surprising really since they don't really have one but it must make the CSU even keener to avoid another election.
    Blue_rog said:

tyson said:

Good point Tyson
    Is it? Corbyn surged because the others fell back. Without them to squeeze, where are they going to get additional support from?
    That's Owen "only a madman would leave the single market" Paterson...
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    What is going on in the parliamentary Tory party?

Wasn’t that quote taken out of context?
  • Blimey, just noticed the figures in that YouGov survey for 'the level of crime' being a big concern - 5% to 14% for six out of seven countries, 42% for Sweden!
  • Jonathan said:

The usual stuff.
    RobD said:

His views in this clip seem clear.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbQBIbP4XZg
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038
    Jonathan said:

Corn Laws redux?

Blimey, just noticed the figures in that YouGov survey for 'the level of crime' being a big concern - 5% to 14% for six out of seven countries, 42% for Sweden!

Its all these crime dramas that they keep producing.

RobD said:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbQBIbP4XZg
    I’ll take that as a yes ;)

Blimey, just noticed the figures in that YouGov survey for 'the level of crime' being a big concern - 5% to 14% for six out of seven countries, 42% for Sweden!

Sweden suffering a crime wave:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-11-16/crime-wave-engulfs-sweden-as-fraud-sexual-offences-reach-record
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    edited January 2018

Jonathan said:

The usual stuff.
    Seems more than the usual stuff, unless this is the new usual.
    RobD said:

RobD said:

You should watch the clip because it was in the context of the referendum campaign where he was directly calling for EEA membership and saying that 3-5 million jobs in the UK depend on membership of the single market.

RobD said:

RobD said:

You should watch the clip because it was in the context of the referendum campaign where he was directly calling for EEA membership and saying that 3-5 million jobs in the UK depend on membership of the single market.
    He was predicting 5 million job losses if we left the single market? Project fear, eat your heart out.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,755

Another strong indicator Sara Khan is a good appointment:
    https://twitter.com/UK_CAGE/status/956891854963953664

She's being condemned by all the people one would wish to be condemned by.
    Mr. Jonathan, supplies of grilled and smoked baby are running low, and even ministers are finding it difficult to get their fix. Naturally, withdrawal symptoms include tetchiness, leaking to the media, and the insatiable ambition to become Prime Minister.
  • Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

The usual stuff.
    It probably is the new usual.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,392
    For those who might have forgotten that the Kippers are circling the plughole:

"Thurrock's 17 UKIP councillors all resign from party"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-42830757
    Hmm, only a lacklustre single market on the Swedish election currently, but nearer the time it might get going. We'll see how things play out there.

Jonathan said:

The usual stuff.
    Would you trust them running a piss up in a brewery? Not that I'd trust Corbyn et al either.

For those who might have forgotten that the Kippers are circling the plughole:

"Thurrock's 17 UKIP councillors all resign from party"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-42830757

Brexit seems to have been, as Dangerfield wrote of Edwardian Liberals, "a victory from which the party would never recover”.
    Incidentally, if anyone backed Mr. Herdson's 70-80% for Putin at 5.25, there's a sort-of hedge on Betfair Exchange at 1.64 for over 70%. That can put you green for 0-80% (you might be able to cover that anyway, if you want to be very cautious, as I think 80-90% is 8 on Ladbrokes now).
  • RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223

The last one didn’t attract that much attention; your fevered imagination turned out to be wrong.

This is margin of error stuff. The final YouGov poll on 23rd June overstated Remain by a net 6 percentage points. Still no sign of anything like the level of Bregret needed to halt Brexit.
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "Theresa May ignored the evidence on stop-and-search. The effect has been criminal" — Fraser Nelson:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/01/25/theresa-may-ignored-evidence-stop-and-search-effect-has-criminal/
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    DavidL said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organized_crime_in_Sweden

Sketchy, but the ethnicities are interesting.
  • YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

The usual stuff.
    It probably is the new usual.
    It is the new normal for Cabinet discussions and disagreements in public.Seems very democratic .

Sweden suffering a crime wave:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-11-16/crime-wave-engulfs-sweden-as-fraud-sexual-offences-reach-record
    So letting in hundreds of thousands of young men from societies with very different gender norms and no rule of law hasn’t been an unqualified success? Truly shocking.
    RoyalBlue said:

The last one didn’t attract that much attention; your fevered imagination turned out to be wrong.

This is margin of error stuff. The final YouGov poll on 23rd June overstated Remain by a net 6 percentage points. Still no sign of anything like the level of Bregret needed to halt Brexit.
    The 'would you prefer to leave immediately or only after negotiations are complete' question shows some movement versus December.

Leave immediately: 26% (-4)
    Only after negotiations are complete: 59% (+5)
    Don't know: 15% (-1)

RoyalBlue said:

The 'would you prefer to leave immediately or only after negotiations are complete' question shows some movement versus December.

Leave immediately: 26% (-4)
    Only after negotiations are complete: 59% (+5)
    Don't know: 15% (-1)
    Could be any number of reasons behind that one. Leavers content with the way the negotiations are progressing?
  • YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    tyson said:

Jonathan said:

The usual stuff.
    Would you trust them running a piss up in a brewery? Not that I'd trust Corbyn et al either.
    I think they would be worse, with drink on board.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    Ishmael_Z said:

DavidL said:

All the international baddies in just about every UK crime drama (eg. Spooks, etc) are from: UK, Israel, US, Any Other Long Time Ally of the UK Gone Bad.
    TOPPING said:

Ishmael_Z said:

DavidL said:

All the international baddies in just about every UK crime drama (eg. Spooks, etc) are from: UK, Israel, US, Any Other Long Time Ally of the UK Gone Bad.
    Well it is fictional, after all ;)
  • Sort of on topic, apparently John McDonnell was hinting in Davos today that Labour might back a universal minimum income and that they are actively investigating the idea. I suspect that might go down very well with this section of the electorate.

Universal income won't go down well with the working class.

Sort of on topic, apparently John McDonnell was hinting in Davos today that Labour might back a universal minimum income and that they are actively investigating the idea. I suspect that might go down very well with this section of the electorate.

Never mind the bond markets.
  • MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Now this is a scandal:

Don’t be too hard on US multinational: Treasury to HMRC

https://waitingfortax.com/2018/01/23/dont-be-too-hard-on-us-multinational-treasury-to-hmrc/

I always wondered why Amazon sellers seemed to get away with their VAT abuse. Would the gov rather foreign companies succeeded to the detriment of UK business? Do they want small business to have contempt for the gov?

edited January 2018

Never mind the bond markets.
    It’d go down as the biggest election bribe in political history.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 15,542
    edited January 2018

Norwegians on the whole are happy to be a "vassal state"*. I am not sure we will be.

* More precisely, the Norwegian populace is happy to outsource a large chunk of its foreign and economic policy to a third party. The famous Norwegian self-discipline and stubbornness are part of this. The government is a bit frustrated by not having a say over rules they implement, but they know they will never get a consensus on membership so they live with it.
  • MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,921

Indeed not. It'll be an absolute field day for Tabloids, too.

I suspect it would solidify the metropolitan/uni seat millenial base but add 3-4% to the Tory column elsewhere.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,952
    Jonathan said:

They are debating Brexit.

What is going on in Labour that they are not?
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,952

Especially when coupled with open borders. It will be like dementia tax cubed with their base.

Somebody hasn't thought this through!
    edited January 2018
    FF43 said:

Norwegians on the whole are happy to be a "vassal state"*. I am not sure we will be.

* More precisely, the Norwegian populace are happy to outsource a large chunk of its foreign policy to a third party. The famous Norwegian self-discipline and stubbornness are part of this. The government is a bit frustrated by not having a say over rules they implement, but they know they will never get a consensus on membership so they live with it.
    Why do you post these falsehoods? Norway has to follow about 25% of EU legislation, and gets its own seat in forums which represent the original source of much supposedly ‘EU’ legislation.

Your thoughts are 20 years out of date.
This discussion has been closed.