Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The percentage of CON voters saying Brexit “wrong” reaches rec

Comments

• JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

TGOHF said:

Jonathan said:

TGOHF said:

Jonathan said:

RobD said:

Jonathan said:

stevef said:

Jonathan said:

stevef said:

Jonathan said:

stevef said:

It will means that millions of people will feel disenfranchised, many will turn to extreme groups, some will turn to violence. Democracy will be discredited. The ballot box will be replaced with the politics of the street.

People feel like that already.
    But Leave won the referendum democratically fair and square. Remoaners do not have democracy on their side. They cannot claim that they were cheated. They lost fair and square. If Leavers on the other habd had Brexit taken away from them despite winning a democratic vote, they would have the right to feel very angry indeed. The losers in an election simply do not have the right to cancel a democratic vote. That is fascism.
    Nope. Half the population are angry now. Some are already on the street.

Brexit: Dammed if you do, dammed if you don't.
    You have completely ignored my point. Remainers lost the referendum fairly and squarely. They werent cheated. They are less than half the population. And they have no right to stop Brexit which was decided democratically. And they wont be allowed to either.
    Many remainers do feel cheated. Not everyone agrees with you that the referendum was fair and square. Leavers need to deal with that even if they disagree.
    Yeah, that free bit of advertising the Remain side got delivered to every house in the country before the referendum started was particularly unfair.
    It was an intensely nasty and deliberately misleading campaign.
    The losers always say that .
    It was toxic from start to end. I've never seen anything like it. We're all losers because of it.
    The Scottish referendum was far far nastier. By an order of magnitude.
    How many MPs were murdered during the Indyref campaign?
    Brexit is tarnished by that campaign. Too much fear, lies and hate on both sides.

Dammed if we do, dammed if we don't. Will take 20 years and classic British fudges to get over it.
  • Two leading Conservative MPs have launched a bid to make Theresa May keep the UK in a customs union with the European Union, as the prime minister faces cabinet and party splits over the issue.

Anna Soubry, a former business minister, and Ken Clarke, the former chancellor, said they would try to get cross-party support for keeping the UK’s current customs arrangements with the EU, in a clear challenge to May’s authority.

They have a strong chance of causing an embarrassing government defeat if Jeremy Corbyn’s frontbench supports their amendments to two trade bills when they are debated in the House of Commons before the end of February.

It is understood Labour is not ruling out backing the Tory rebels, who already have the support of a number of pro-EU Labour backbenchers. Soubry said it was part of “building a Brexit consensus inside and outside parliament”.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/feb/02/tory-rebels-launch-bid-to-keep-uk-in-customs-union-with-eu

Ken Clarke and Anna Soubry? Really?

Well, knock me down with a feather.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,073
    edited February 2018
    Good to see young people getting interested in politics, and in a robust style...

Meant tongue in cheek!
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    Foxy said:

Not the JRM Fan Club:

twitter.com/chloekayex/status/959494136427696128

Good to see young people getting interested in politics, and in a robust style...

Meant tongue in cheek!
    Cheeky edit there ;)
    edited February 2018
    stevef said:

Jonathan said:

TGOHF said:

Jonathan said:

RobD said:

Jonathan said:

stevef said:

Jonathan said:

stevef said:

Jonathan said:

stevef said:

It will means that millions of people will feel disenfranchised, many will turn to extreme groups, some will turn to violence. Democracy will be discredited. The ballot box will be replaced with the politics of the street.

But Leave won the referendum democratically fair and square. Remoaners do not have democracy on their side. They cannot claim that they were cheated. They lost fair and square. If Leavers on the other habd had Brexit taken away from them despite winning a democratic vote, they would have the right to feel very angry indeed. The losers in an election simply do not have the right to cancel a democratic vote. That is fascism.

You have completely ignored my point. Remainers lost the referendum fairly and squarely. They werent cheated. They are less than half the population. And they have no right to stop Brexit which was decided democratically. And they wont be allowed to either.
    Many remainers do feel cheated. Not everyone agrees with you that the referendum was fair and square. Leavers need to deal with that even if they disagree.
    Yeah, that free bit of advertising the Remain side got delivered to every house in the country before the referendum started was particularly unfair.
    It was toxic from start to end. I've never seen anything like it. We're all losers because of it.
    How was it not fair and square? Has the Electoral Commission declared the result invalid? On what grounds have Remainers been cheated? You lost.
    Democracy cannot function if losers can overturn elections because they do not like the results. And they will not be allowed to.
    I voted remain, but spent most of the campaign on the fence pretty much disgusted at the whole affair. I still am.

Remainers do feel like that. Mainly down to the campaign lies and bullshit. You disagree, but someone will have to deal with it if this country is to move on.
  • Two leading Conservative MPs have launched a bid to make Theresa May keep the UK in a customs union with the European Union, as the prime minister faces cabinet and party splits over the issue.

Anna Soubry, a former business minister, and Ken Clarke, the former chancellor, said they would try to get cross-party support for keeping the UK’s current customs arrangements with the EU, in a clear challenge to May’s authority.

They have a strong chance of causing an embarrassing government defeat if Jeremy Corbyn’s frontbench supports their amendments to two trade bills when they are debated in the House of Commons before the end of February.

It is understood Labour is not ruling out backing the Tory rebels, who already have the support of a number of pro-EU Labour backbenchers. Soubry said it was part of “building a Brexit consensus inside and outside parliament”.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/feb/02/tory-rebels-launch-bid-to-keep-uk-in-customs-union-with-eu

I can't believe TSE managed to post that with a straight face!

• rullkorullko Posts: 161
    TGOHF said:

Jonathan said:

RobD said:

Jonathan said:

stevef said:

Jonathan said:

stevef said:

Jonathan said:

stevef said:

No, the people who favour the status quo ante always say that, regardless of who wins. Same with Scotland - it's Unionists who complain about what a terrible time it was, despite their having won.
  • Jonathan said:

RobD said:

Jonathan said:

RobD said:

Jonathan said:

stevef said:

Jonathan said:

stevef said:

Jonathan said:

stevef said:

Project fear wasn't that bad....
    The toxic mess we're in now owes much to the divisive nature of both of those campaigns
    Both campaigns were poor, and I said so on here at the time. I personally only ordered and delivered the leaflets I was comfortable with both delivering and defending.

Nevertheless, every voter I spoke to, with one exception, was taking their decision very seriously, often in two minds, and most were surprisingly well informed and had done research.

The voters made me proud. Not the campaigns.
  • CD13CD13 Posts: 6,349
    edited February 2018
    Mr Jonathan,

"Many remainers do feel cheated. Not everyone agrees with you that the referendum was fair and square. Leavers need to deal with that even if they disagree."

Remainers need to deal with it, they are being the children. Someone has taken away their nice pretty toy so they're having a tantrum. Those nasty grown-ups keep doing this, leaving the kids threatening to sqweam and sqweam until they're sick. Then you adults will be sorry, won't you?.

Jonathan said:

RobD said:

Jonathan said:

RobD said:

Jonathan said:

stevef said:

Jonathan said:

stevef said:

Jonathan said:

stevef said:

The toxic mess we're in now owes much to the divisive nature of both of those campaigns
    Both campaigns were poor, and I said so on here at the time. I personally only ordered and delivered the leaflets I was comfortable with both delivering and defending.

Nevertheless, every voter I spoke to, with one exception, was taking their decision very seriously, often in two minds, and most were surprisingly well informed and had done research.

The leave leaflet that implied we would have open borders with Iraq and Syria was a particularly black bit of propaganda.

I can't believe TSE managed to post that with a straight face!

I'm also shocked to learn that gambling took place in Rick's Cafe.
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

TGOHF said:

Jonathan said:

TGOHF said:

Jonathan said:

RobD said:

Jonathan said:

stevef said:

Jonathan said:

stevef said:

Jonathan said:

stevef said:

Exactly as many as were murdered during the Euref campaign in circumstances with a more than tangential relevance to the campaign.
    CD13 said:

Mr Jonathan,

"Many remainers do feel cheated. Not everyone agrees with you that the referendum was fair and square. Leavers need to deal with that even if they disagree."

Remainers need to deal with it, they are being the children. Someone has taken away their nice pretty toy so they're having a tantrum. Those nasty grown-ups keep doing this, leaving the kids threatening to sqweam and sqweam until they're sick. Then you adults will be sorry, won't you?.

No. To come together we ALL need to deal with it.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408
    Jonathan said:

TGOHF said:

Jonathan said:

TGOHF said:

Jonathan said:

RobD said:

Jonathan said:

stevef said:

Jonathan said:

stevef said:

Jonathan said:

stevef said:

Brexit is tarnished by that campaign. Too much fear, lies and hate on both sides.

Dammed if we do, dammed if we don't. Will take 20 years and classic British fudges to get over it.
    That presumes we will at least get over it, and given some of our enduring fudges I don't think that can be guaranteed, but we can hope so.
  • PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    RobD said:

PClipp said:

RobD said:

Jonathan said:

stevef said:

Jonathan said:

stevef said:

Jonathan said:

stevef said:

That was not really "the Remain side". It was the Government - the Conservative Government headed by Cameron and Osborne - who were responsible for that. Everybody else was excluded.
    But we need to bear in mind that unfair misuse of the system is the Conservative hallmark these days.
    Headed by two prominent campaigners for the Remain side, you mean ;)
    Leading Conservative politicians headed both sides. This was just one phase of a Conservative civil war. It was nasty and pointless. Everybody lost.
  • Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

RobD said:

Jonathan said:

RobD said:

Jonathan said:

stevef said:

Jonathan said:

stevef said:

Jonathan said:

stevef said:

The leave leaflet that implied we would have open borders with Iraq and Syria was a particularly black bit of propaganda.
    So was some of the nonsense put out by Remain and losing £4,000, ridiculous hyperbole over Leave, and sidestepping concerns over the EU Army and future integration.

I didn't deliver any of the Iraq and Syria leaflets.
  • Good evening, Comrades!

Today marks the 75th anniversary of the heroic Red Army's glorious victory over the evil Fascist Invader at Stalingrad!
    rullko said:

TGOHF said:

Jonathan said:

RobD said:

Jonathan said:

stevef said:

Jonathan said:

stevef said:

Jonathan said:

stevef said:

No, the people who favour the status quo ante always say that, regardless of who wins. Same with Scotland - it's Unionists who complain about what a terrible time it was, despite their having won.
    Just google "violence scottish referendum" to see how wrong you are. It looks a terrible time to me, and I have always been exactly equidistant from either side, on the grounds that it's none of my business.
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    I just saw the Maybot on Ch4

We are totally fcked.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,073
    Jonathan said:

CD13 said:

Mr Jonathan,

No. To come together we ALL need to deal with it.
    Don't worry, the rejoin campaign will bring the country together as one :)
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,774
    Foxy said:

Meant tongue in cheek!
    Members of the caring., pacifist, far left.
  • Foxy said:

Meant tongue in cheek!
    Good on JRM trying to break it up there.

It looks to me like one of the anarchist rent-a-mob (you can tell, hoody and dark glasses so they can cause trouble without being identified) and one of Mogg's fans losing his shit with him.

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

RobD said:

Jonathan said:

RobD said:

Jonathan said:

stevef said:

Jonathan said:

stevef said:

Jonathan said:

stevef said:

But Leave won the referendum democratically fair and square. Remoaners do not have democracy on their side. d. The losers in an election simply do not have the right to cancel a democratic vote. That is fascism.

You he population. And they have no right to stop Brexit which was decided democratically. And they wont be allowed to either.

So was some of the nonsense put out by Remain and losing £4,000, ridiculous hyperbole over Leave, and sidestepping concerns over the EU Army and future integration.

You're one of the good guys Casino. I said it at the time and stand by the now.

Sadly others did not share your scruples. On both sides.
  • Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

RobD said:

Jonathan said:

RobD said:

Jonathan said:

stevef said:

Jonathan said:

stevef said:

Jonathan said:

stevef said:

But Leave won the referendum democratically fair and square. Remoaners do not have democracy on their side. d. The losers in an election simply do not have the right to cancel a democratic vote. That is fascism.

You he population. And they have no right to stop Brexit which was decided democratically. And they wont be allowed to either.

You're one of the good guys Casino. I said it at the time and stand by the now.

Sadly others did not share your scruples. On both sides.
    That's very kind of you to say so.

My view is we'd have got similar polling on it being the right/wrong decision in hindsight had we voted to Remain.

But, without any serious calls for a second referendum.

Possibly. But that’s not relevant. We are where we are, not where we might have been.
    I think it very much is.

Such polling is being used now as an argument to frustrate or stop Brexit, despite the referendum mandate. But there would have been no similar recourse for Remain.

Both the EU, and the UK Government to a lesser extent, would have made it very clear the matter was closed, and the decision binding; albeit I suspect it would have caused ongoing trouble within the Conservative Party.
    The issue would have remained live, as UKIP would now be polling 20% or so, had there been a narrow Remain win. But, the leaders of both main parties would be treating the issue as having been settled.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    I see the traitor wing of the party are piping up again to serve their masters in Brussels.

Two leading Conservative MPs have launched a bid to make Theresa May keep the UK in a customs union with the European Union, as the prime minister faces cabinet and party splits over the issue.

Presumably some Labour MP's would vote with the government.

I've been struck with how little difficulty the government has had with Brexit business in the Commons.
  • YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

Brexit the new Munich?

And on Munich it is the 60th anniversary of the Munich air disaster on the 6th February.

I will never forget that day as I returned home from school my Grandmother telling me my beloved Busby Babes had been wiped out in a plane crash. Gone were Tommy Taylor, Roger Byrne, Eddie Colman, Geoff Bent, Mark Jones, David Pegg, and Billy Whelan and with Duncan Edwards to die in hospital two weeks later. Pictures of Matt Busby in an oxygen tent were on tv daily and of course Bobby Charlton, Harry Gregg, Bill Foukes, Jackie Blanchflower, Johnny Berry, Kenny Morgans, Albert Scanlon, Dennis Viollet and Ray Wood survived many seriously injured.

It seems like yesterday and I remember the blank team sheets so well.

I expect the media will cover the anniversary in some depth next tuesday

Well said BigG . I was not alive However the first big match I remember was Man U beating Benfica in 1968 European cup final.An amazing achievement 10 years after.

Thanks so much Yorky. - Just commented to my wife about it and I could feel a tear in my eye. It was hugely emotional and indeed the whole nation were caught up in it. Indeed Utd got to the FA cup final that year and lost 2-0 to Bolton with Nat Lofthouse scoring twice.

The 1968 European Final triump was amazing and I was privileged to be with my daughter and son in law at the Nou Camp in 1999 when we beat Bayern in that amazing final

It was an amazing final.I watched recently a documentary about the disaster , Jackie Charlton said his brother was never the same person after the tragedy.In regard to Jackie , in 1986 , I got on a train from York to London with my wife and young baby.There was no seats anywhere , then we found one .My wife sat down , I said we can not sit here , she asked why , I said it is first Class, as Jackie was sat there .Anyways it wasn't.My wife had no idea who he was , and he spoke to her about anything but football.When we got to London he said to me , she has no idea who I am does she.?I said no Jack ,she does not like football.He said it was great not to speak about it for a couple of hours.I wished him well, as he had just got the Irish managers job.
  • rullkorullko Posts: 161
    Ishmael_Z said:

rullko said:

TGOHF said:

Jonathan said:

RobD said:

Jonathan said:

stevef said:

Jonathan said:

stevef said:

Jonathan said:

stevef said:

Just google "violence scottish referendum" to see how wrong you are. It looks a terrible time to me, and I have always been exactly equidistant from either side, on the grounds that it's none of my business.
    Well, I was rather less distant and remember it quite well. As I suspected, your Google results all refer to the day after the referendum when Yes voters and skinheads shouted abuse at each other and threw flares, since that was the only incident involving any documented violence. I'm fairly certain no one was actually injured. Was there something else I missed, or is it this event which leads you to perceive the two-year campaign as "a terrible time"?
  • Yorkcity said:

Brexit the new Munich?

And on Munich it is the 60th anniversary of the Munich air disaster on the 6th February.

I will never forget that day as I returned home from school my Grandmother telling me my beloved Busby Babes had been wiped out in a plane crash. Gone were Tommy Taylor, Roger Byrne, Eddie Colman, Geoff Bent, Mark Jones, David Pegg, and Billy Whelan and with Duncan Edwards to die in hospital two weeks later. Pictures of Matt Busby in an oxygen tent were on tv daily and of course Bobby Charlton, Harry Gregg, Bill Foukes, Jackie Blanchflower, Johnny Berry, Kenny Morgans, Albert Scanlon, Dennis Viollet and Ray Wood survived many seriously injured.

Well said BigG . I was not alive However the first big match I remember was Man U beating Benfica in 1968 European cup final.An amazing achievement 10 years after.

Thanks so much Yorky. - Just commented to my wife about it and I could feel a tear in my eye. It was hugely emotional and indeed the whole nation were caught up in it. Indeed Utd got to the FA cup final that year and lost 2-0 to Bolton with Nat Lofthouse scoring twice.

The 1968 European Final triump was amazing and I was privileged to be with my daughter and son in law at the Nou Camp in 1999 when we beat Bayern in that amazing final

It was an amazing final.I watched recently a documentary about the disaster , Jackie Charlton said his brother was never the same person after the tragedy.In regard to Jackie , in 1986 , I got on a train from York to London with my wife and young baby.There was no seats anywhere , then we found one .My wife sat down , I said we can not sit here , she asked why , I said it is first Class, as Jackie was sat there .Anyways it wasn't.My wife had no idea who he was , and he spoke to her about anything but football.When we got to London he said to me , she has no idea who I am does she.?I said no Jack ,she does not like football.He said it was great not to speak about it for a couple of hours.I wished him well, as he had just got the Irish managers job.

Lovely story. Bobby became a real hero for me and a few years ago my daughter and I met him and he was very interesting to talk to. We were doing well at the time and he said enjoy it while it lasts as nothing is certain in football. Wise words
  • Nick Palmer live on Sky just now
    rullko said:

Well, I was rather less distant and remember it quite well. As I suspected, your Google results all refer to the day after the referendum when Yes voters and skinheads shouted abuse at each other and threw flares, since that was the only incident involving any documented violence. I'm fairly certain no one was actually injured. Was there something else I missed, or is it this event which leads you to perceive the two-year campaign as "a terrible time"?

You must have a different version of google from me.
  • MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,921
    Yorkcity said:

Brexit the new Munich?

What a lovely story. Thanks for sharing that.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,165
    Scott_P said:
    Anything to do with the dodgy dealing around the football ground.
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,688

Nick Palmer live on Sky just now

I didn't know he could still do that - live and Corbyn-undead at the same time! I hope it's taxed at 100%
  • TGOHF said:

Jonathan said:

TGOHF said:

Jonathan said:

RobD said:

Jonathan said:

stevef said:

Jonathan said:

stevef said:

Jonathan said:

stevef said:

D'ye mean the 'scum' smoking dope within 30 meters of the George Square war memorial, or the other lot popping off Nazi salutes and flares even closer to it?
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789
    tlg86 said:

Scott_P said:
    Anything to do with the dodgy dealing around the football ground.
    The former MP who was leader of the borough council at the time of those deals was part of May's entourage during the visit of Macron.
    https://twitter.com/davidmackintosh/status/954439345729081344
  • Ishmael_Z said:

rullko said:

The pungent immediacy of Google trumps actually being there every time.

Ishmael_Z said:

rullko said:

I'm sure all your knowledge and understanding of the world is based on primary sensory input (although that creates a slight paradox about how you are able to reply to my posts). For the rest of us there is google, and as google is the same, for most purposes, for everyone, it's a bit pointless misrepresenting what it says.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,520

Ishmael_Z said:

rullko said:

Now you get into the very interesting questions of recall of events and eyewitness bias versus reality. ;)
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812
    MaxPB said:

I see the traitor wing of the party are piping up again to serve their masters in Brussels.

Troll alert. You do realise nobody takes you seriously anymore because of all this “traitor” garbage?
  • TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Sean_F said:

Foxy said:

Meant tongue in cheek!
    Members of the caring., pacifist, far left.
    Only going to make JRM more popular.

Only going to make JRM more popular.

https://twitter.com/euanmccolm/status/959506872503095296
  • Sean_F said:

Two leading Conservative MPs have launched a bid to make Theresa May keep the UK in a customs union with the European Union, as the prime minister faces cabinet and party splits over the issue.

Presumably some Labour MP's would vote with the government.

I've been struck with how little difficulty the government has had with Brexit business in the Commons.
    Yes. The whips' work has been one of the understated achievements of the government.
  • Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

rullko said:

I'm sure all your knowledge and understanding of the world is based on primary sensory input (although that creates a slight paradox about how you are able to reply to my posts). For the rest of us there is google, and as google is the same, for most purposes, for everyone, it's a bit pointless misrepresenting what it says.
    Personally I think primary sensory input and Google is better than Google, though I'm pretty relaxed about people who want to depend on Google alone.
    @MichaelLCrick: Staffs Police announce that after consultation with Crown Prosecution Service there is “insufficient evidence” to prosecute former Ukip leader Paul Nuttall over registering as candidate & voter at a house in Stoke during by-election last year when he wasn’t living there
  • Scott_P said:

@MichaelLCrick: Staffs Police announce that after consultation with Crown Prosecution Service there is “insufficient evidence” to prosecute former Ukip leader Paul Nuttall over registering as candidate & voter at a house in Stoke during by-election last year when he wasn’t living there

Crick gets his man again...oh wait...
  • Scott_P said:

twitter.com/mattcprecey/status/959495955543482369

That scandal has been brewing for several years.
  • Well there's nothing stopping these people from doing so.

Save your £52 and donate it to your local hospital.

' 73% of those quizzed in a Mirror poll by ­Survation, would give up an £1 a week to keep the NHS free and out of the clutches of the private health firms circling like vultures.

That would bring in £2.75billion a year. '

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/three-quarters-brits-would-pay-11955709

Though £2.75bn is approximately 2% of the NHS income from the taxpayers.

So I doubt that will be the decisive factor 'to keep the NHS free and out of the clutches of the private health firms circling like vultures.'
  • TomsToms Posts: 2,478

Given how Brexit has been conducted by the government, the statistic in the headline is more of an indicator to me of an unusual sample than a likely hint of Brexiters' remorse among Conservatives. Until a trend has been established more clearly, it seems hard to say that there's been any great upheaval in public opinion.

Fair comment
    I never provide any other kind.
    Come come: we all can err. For instance I very much suspect that maybe even more than once you've bought a pencil with an eraser on it.
  • brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    edited February 2018

Scott_P said:

twitter.com/mattcprecey/status/959495955543482369

That scandal has been brewing for several years.
    It's a section 114 notice under the Local govt finance act 1988. Essentially the Director of Finance has determined they cannot set a balanced budget. I expect the government and the auditors will step in - councils can't actually go bankrupt in reality as HMT would always step in. Particularly for county councils as they run schools and adult social care and children's services - you can't allow those to stop running.
  • brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315

Exactly - I knew before I read any further it would be them. They never give up I suppose!

Do they want to be in the EU customs union or are they backing a Turkey?
  • Ugly nativism in the 'world city':

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/foreign-homebuyers-blocked-in-first-dibs-for-locals-plan-l6bhj8d85

Interesting how people oppose globalisation when its 'people like us' losing out.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited February 2018
    Scott_P said:

twitter.com/business/status/959532173211598854

It is interesting that it is claimed that it is being caused by an expectation that there will be "too strong" growth in jobs.
  • Scott_P said:
    Inevitable correction. Whether it's a pause or the start of a decline we don't know but an increase of 30% on the year - from levels that were far from depressed - is simply too far too fast.
  • Scott_P said:
    Inevitable correction. Whether it's a pause or the start of a decline we don't know but an increase of 30% on the year - from levels that were far from depressed - is simply too far too fast.
    I blame Brexit Bitcoin...

Well there's nothing stopping these people from doing so.

Save your £52 and donate it to your local hospital.

' 73% of those quizzed in a Mirror poll by ­Survation, would give up an £1 a week to keep the NHS free and out of the clutches of the private health firms circling like vultures.

That would bring in £2.75billion a year. '

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/three-quarters-brits-would-pay-11955709

Though £2.75bn is approximately 2% of the NHS income from the taxpayers.

So I doubt that will be the decisive factor 'to keep the NHS free and out of the clutches of the private health firms circling like vultures.'

Surely "giving up £1 a week to keep the NHS free" would itself render the NHS not free? And were respondents screened to establish whether they understood what "free at the point of use" means?
  • TRIGGER WARNING. I'M ABOUT TO POST A VERY TRAUMATIC TWEET, IF YOU'RE EATING PLEASE COME BACK LATER AFTER YOU'VE EATEN.
  • Well you were warned.

https://twitter.com/TSEofPB/status/959536676220612609

For some reason Piers Morgan can't stop sharing that image on his twitter feed.
  • TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

TGOHF said:

Jonathan said:

TGOHF said:

Jonathan said:

RobD said:

Jonathan said:

stevef said:

Jonathan said:

stevef said:

Jonathan said:

stevef said:

Only a simpleton would offer that up as the square root of fuck all.
  • Well you were warned.

twitter.com/TSEofPB/status/959536676220612609

For some reason Piers Morgan can't stop sharing that image on his twitter feed.

Put me right off my Hawaiian pizza...
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    edited February 2018

Scott_P said:
    It'll knock some of the nominal value off my pension pot I suspect, but hey lower cost = more units on the good old autobuy. Dow, FTSE, Dax, Hang Seng and Nikkei 2048 or whenever I head into bonds/cash are the important numbers :)
    Taken a small punt on Crapita today too ;)
  • PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    Scott_P said:

https://twitter.com/mattcprecey/ status/959495955543482369

The problem is that the Conservatives are no good at running anything. They should not be let near the economy and finances of government at any level.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,697
    Will just make JRM even more popular with the masses...
  • TRIGGER WARNING. I'M ABOUT TO POST A VERY TRAUMATIC TWEET, IF YOU'RE EATING PLEASE COME BACK LATER AFTER YOU'VE EATEN.

The EdM in Tottenham story you posted was LOL.

Considering that EdM must have lived most of his life about five miles from Tottenham it really did show what a sheltered life he had led.

He really did think that the 'everyday folk of Dartmouth Park' were 'everyday folk'.

TRIGGER WARNING. I'M ABOUT TO POST A VERY TRAUMATIC TWEET, IF YOU'RE EATING PLEASE COME BACK LATER AFTER YOU'VE EATEN.

The EdM in Tottenham story you posted was LOL.

Considering that EdM must have lived most of his life about five miles from Tottenham it really did show what a sheltered life he had led.

He really did think that the 'everyday folk of Dartmouth Park' were 'everyday folk'.
    What, you mean he didn't grow up in Doncaster? I'm shocked.
    edited February 2018
    PClipp said:

Scott_P said:

https://twitter.com/mattcprecey/ status/959495955543482369

The problem is that the Conservatives are no good at running anything. They should not be let near the economy and finances of government at any level.
    Some people at least make their astroturfing interesting, or funny. This is just yawn....
  • TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    edited February 2018
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AItFoaM-m6o

Fu*king Dickheads.

This is why JRM is not out of the running.
  • Just increases support for Jacob and puts Corbyn on spot to condemn it
  • nielhnielh Posts: 1,307

Ugly nativism in the 'world city':

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/foreign-homebuyers-blocked-in-first-dibs-for-locals-plan-l6bhj8d85

Interesting how people oppose globalisation when its 'people like us' losing out.

I've not read the article, but it strikes me that the main problem is that new build housing is overpriced, it appeals more to foreign speculators than local buyers.
    Forcing developers to try and sell housing to local people who cant afford it won't achieve much.

• Scott_P said:
    *Remembers this is a family friendly website and it's not the lagershed yet*
    edited February 2018
    Scott_P said:

twitter.com/guidofawkes/status/959544412857565184

It will only be surprising if we find mummy and daddy aren’t multimillion property developers and that he didn’t attended a second rate private school....
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,520
    nielh said:

Ugly nativism in the 'world city':

I've not read the article, but it strikes me that the main problem is that new build housing is overpriced, it appeals more to foreign speculators than local buyers.
    Forcing developers to try and sell housing to local people who cant afford it won't achieve much.
    Why is it overpriced? Because if we want to 'solve' many of the housing problems, then that is the issue. And land cost/availability - although that is mainly focused on - is only a minor factor.

Building standards (e.g. green requirements), S106, labour costs, etc are other significant factors. If we want to build quality housing that people in the UK want (e.g. garden and garage in a 'nice' area near a 'good' school) , then it is hard to see how we can build down to the required cost.

We want too much, but can not afford what we want. Something has to give.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263
    Omnium said:

Nick Palmer live on Sky just now

I didn't know he could still do that - live and Corbyn-undead at the same time! I hope it's taxed at 100%
    Lol! Was good to have nearly 10 minutes - unusual in todays' news programmes. Spent most of it extolling the virtues of Michael Gove and Theresa Villiers. Funny world.
  • A gallery is to put a Victorian painting of naked adolescent girls back on display after a row over censorship.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-42917974
  • Scott_P said:
    Some vegetarian rat-substitute for me, please :)
    edited February 2018
    Scott_P said:

twitter.com/hugorifkind/status/959546627399782400

What about those who adhere to a strict plant based diet?
    Is this 'I call app Britain to order' personified?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-politics-42902684
  • Mortimer said:

It is why it is pointless even thinking about bringing back the Thick of It...
    Scott_P said:
    Hopefully, JRM will be our equivalent of General Franco, by then.

Mortimer said:

It is why it is pointless even thinking about bringing back the Thick of It...
    It's almost almost like pols are mugging up on it as a syllabus
  • dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,279

A gallery is to put a Victorian painting of naked adolescent girls back on display after a row over censorship.

Are the postcards back on sale?
  • Good footage for Jacob tonight as Angela Rayner condemns the demonstrators.

Let's hear from Corbyn - he has a growing problem with the hard momentum members
  • Good footage for Jacob tonight as Angela Rayner condemns the demonstrators.

Let's hear from Corbyn - he has a growing problem with the hard momentum members

According to an article in the Guardian today, it is all right wing made-up nonsense.

Good footage for Jacob tonight as Angela Rayner condemns the demonstrators.

https://twitter.com/jamin2g/status/959541145226436608
  • ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,922
    dr_spyn said:

A gallery is to put a Victorian painting of naked adolescent girls back on display after a row over censorship.

Are the postcards back on sale?
    The curator has certainly managed to generate a lot of publicity for Manchester City Art Gallery,which alongside Birmingham City Art Gallery and Tate Britain has a fantastic collection of Victorian painting, but which is not visited as much as it should be. Great result for her!
This discussion has been closed.