Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » R.I.P. The Conservative Party 1834-2018 if the Brexiteer dream

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited February 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » R.I.P. The Conservative Party 1834-2018 if the Brexiteer dream is realised

SUNDAY TIMES LEAD: ‘Brexiteer Plot’ by @ShippersUnbound pic.twitter.com/70OGZyDhvO

Read the full story here

Comments

• First! Like Mrs May & Leave.

More hysteria & posturing.
  • swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,435
    second, like BJ - the trouble is, the EU vision espoused by those 3 musketeers would never pass a vote in the Commons, let alone the Lords...an interesting thought but I reckon a wet dream for the Tory right
  • Curiously “tariff free market access” is not the top priority of Remain voters:

For remain voters, the things they said they would most like to retain are freedom of movement (36%), tariff-free market access (27%) and continued co-operation on policing and security (19%). Notice that while opposition to Brexit is often talked about in terms of economic risk, of tariffs and market access, what Remains would most like is to retain the right to live and work in the EU. Perhaps that’s because it’s a direct benefit – most of us do not run or work in business that directly export to the EU - but then, most of us will never take up the opportunity to live elsewhere in the EU either.

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2018/02/02/what-do-public-want-brexit-negotiations/
  • Curiously “tariff free market access” is not the top priority of Remain voters:

For remain voters, the things they said they would most like to retain are freedom of movement (36%), tariff-free market access (27%) and continued co-operation on policing and security (19%). Notice that while opposition to Brexit is often talked about in terms of economic risk, of tariffs and market access, what Remains would most like is to retain the right to live and work in the EU. Perhaps that’s because it’s a direct benefit – most of us do not run or work in business that directly export to the EU - but then, most of us will never take up the opportunity to live elsewhere in the EU either.

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2018/02/02/what-do-public-want-brexit-negotiations/

Unfortunately this is directly contradicted by Leave voters top concern:

Among those people who voted Leave back in 2016......Top is the ability for Britain to control immigration (45%)
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,768
    Priti Patel?

Please God no.

• SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614

second, like BJ - the trouble is, the EU vision espoused by those 3 musketeers would never pass a vote in the Commons, let alone the Lords...an interesting thought but I reckon a wet dream for the Tory right

But it doesn’t work that way round. If Parliament won’t pass a deal then we leave without one.
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    'The time is now' for Britons to change mind on leaving EU, says Tory MP and former Attorney General Dominic Grieve

Exclusive: Former cabinet minister warns the next six months are 'decision time' over UK's withdrawal from EU"

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-latest-dominic-grieve-running-out-time-customs-union-boris-johnson-michael-gove-a8193106.html
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,715
    What of course has happened is that all parties seemed to have boxed themselves in. That is, of course, if we assume that the Leader of the largest party, or indeed any party leader is to be PM. However, there's no rule which say that has to be. If Auntie May loses the confidence of her cabinet it is not impossible that she could advise the Queen to send for whoever....... BoJo??? .... whom she has been assured can succeed in a vote of confidence in the House. BoJo or whoever would then have to follow the same path as May in 2016, in getting a one candidate election going.
    Whether anyone from the Back to the Victorians tendency could in fact win a vote of confidence, as Churchill did in 1940, is I think, and soncerely hope, unlikely.
    A constitutional crisis, followed by a coupon election, at least as far as the Tories wre concerned, would follow.
    Sandpit said:

But it doesn’t work that way round. If Parliament won’t pass a deal then we leave without one.
    If Mrs May is unable to pass a Brexit bill, then the government will fall.

To crash out of our trading arrangements with the EU, and with all those countries with which the EU has agreements, in a disorganised manner would be - errrr... - unpleasant. And the government would be blamed. So, I suspect that in the event of being unable to pass the bill, Mrs May would resign. I don't believe any other Conservative could get the bill passed, and therefore I expect there would be a general election.

I do not know what happens next.
    AndyJS said:

'The time is now' for Britons to change mind on leaving EU, says Tory MP and former Attorney General Dominic Grieve

Exclusive: Former cabinet minister warns the next six months are 'decision time' over UK's withdrawal from EU"

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-latest-dominic-grieve-running-out-time-customs-union-boris-johnson-michael-gove-a8193106.html

I'm fairly sure June 2016 was decision time about the UK's withdrawal from the EU.
  • LEAVE 52%
    REMAIN 48%

:innocent:
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

To crash out of our trading arrangements with the EU, and with all those countries with which the EU has agreements, in a disorganised manner would be - errrr... - unpleasant. And the government would be blamed. So, I suspect that in the event of being unable to pass the bill, Mrs May would resign. I don't believe any other Conservative could get the bill passed, and therefore I expect there would be a general election.

I’m inclined to agree with your sequence of events, and I think that with a dozen or two rebels on either side of her own party she is going to struggle to get any Brexit Bill through the Commons.

Labour also need to be careful not to overplay their hand by mindlessly opposing anything rather than being constructive about things. They have their own rebels and have managed to say nothing that might offend anyone so far.

Given we know Corbyn wants us out, it’s possible he might whip an abstention were it not for the fact that the Bill falling takes the government down with it.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    edited February 2018
    AndyJS said:

Regardless of what you would prefer to happen, what do you think the most likely outcome is?

Britain remaining a full member of the EU: 4% (-4)

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/4pm5gpsp72/InternalResults_180117_AnthonyBrexitQs_w.pdf
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080
    Some Conservatives are trying so hard to give the LibDems a boost before the local elections...
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,741
    edited February 2018
    it is the more fundamentalist Brexiteers that are revolting...Paddy Power are offering 10/1 on the disgraced former Defence Secretary having to resign again.

You don't have to be so subtle about it TSE. You should tell us how they love extra pineapple on pizza and read books praising Hannibal every night, just to be absolutely clear how much you hate them.

Otherwise we might run away with the idea you think they have a point about May, and then where would you be?
  • AndyJS said:

Regardless of what you would prefer to happen, what do you think the most likely outcome is?

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/4pm5gpsp72/InternalResults_180117_AnthonyBrexitQs_w.pdf
    The top two options were:

Leave EU with limited trade deal, control of immigration but barriers (to trade): 39
    Leave EU but stay in single market - free trade on exports but follow some (regulations): 15
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164
    If Mrs May does agree to a customs union deal with the EU then The Sunday Times article says Liam Fox is prepared to resign

That does make sense given that Fox's job would then become pointless.

That the government would be fronted by some of the most loathed and hated politicians in the country,

Is George Osborne coming back?
  • A government whose leading members were Boris Johnson (congenital plotter and openly disloyal to Theresa May), Michael Gove (who famously knifed Boris Johnson’s leadership campaign), IDS (Maastricht rebel) and Priti Patel (formed an independent foreign policy and lied to the Prime Minister about it) would be a contender for the most treacherous Cabinet ever.
  • VinnyVinny Posts: 48
    I would note only vote for such a dream team but actively try to help them. Anything to get rid of the hated liberal left.
    The ides of March come round every day. The enemies within her party who accuse Mrs May of being indecisive and incoherent share those traits with the object of their dismay.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/feb/04/theresa-may-tories-leadership-contest
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,787

AndyJS said:

The fact that opposition to Brexit is so high despite so few people believing it is possible to stop it doesn’t augur well for the Brexiteers.
  • IanB2 said:

The ides of March come round every day. The enemies within her party who accuse Mrs May of being indecisive and incoherent share those traits with the object of their dismay.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/feb/04/theresa-may-tories-leadership-contest

Interesting article - at the end Thatcher was the problem - while May has her flaws she is more a symptom of the problem and getting rid of her will do little to address it - instead may exacerbate it.
  • AndyJS said:

The fact that opposition to Brexit is so high despite so few people believing it is possible to stop it doesn’t augur well for the Brexiteers.
    Writes one of the 4%

Interesting article - at the end Thatcher was the problem - while May has her flaws she is more a symptom of the problem and getting rid of her will do little to address it - instead may exacerbate it.

It is clear that the right of her party believes May exacerbates it...
  • As leaving the EU proves not to be the cake walk they promised, the Tory Brexit loons have so far blamed:
    1. The BBC
    2. The House of Commons
    3. The House of Lords
    4. The courts
    5. The civil service
    6. The EU
    7. Remain voters
    8. The Bank of England
    9. British businesses
    10. The Irish

Have I missed anyone out?
  • As leaving the EU proves not to be the cake walk they promised, the Tory Brexit loons have so far blamed:
    1. The BBC
    2. The House of Commons
    3. The House of Lords
    4. The courts
    5. The civil service
    6. The EU
    7. Remain voters
    8. The Bank of England
    9. British businesses
    10. The Irish

Tony Blair? Arsene Wenger? TSE?
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880
    rcs1000 said:

The stability and relative prosperity of the Cameron/Osborne years would look like a wondrous fable at that point.

1. The BBC
    2. The House of Commons
    3. The House of Lords
    4. The courts
    5. The civil service
    6. The EU
    7. Remain voters
    8. The Bank of England
    9. British businesses
    10. The Irish

Angela Merkel
    Journalists
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812

A government whose leading members were Boris Johnson (congenital plotter and openly disloyal to Theresa May), Michael Gove (who famously knifed Boris Johnson’s leadership campaign), IDS (Maastricht rebel) and Priti Patel (formed an independent foreign policy and lied to the Prime Minister about it) would be a contender for the most treacherous Cabinet ever.

You put it best last night.

A government of all the shits.
    1. The BBC
    2. The House of Commons
    3. The House of Lords
    4. The courts
    5. The civil service
    6. The EU
    7. Remain voters
    8. The Bank of England
    9. British businesses
    10. The Irish

Angela Merkel
    Journalists

One thing we know for sure is that “themselves” will never be added to the list.

A few jokes to liven up the morning:

A streaker ran through a church. They caught him by the organ.
    Did he Swell up?
    No.
    Sure?
    Yes, Positive.

Bach had 14 children. He was always complaining he didn't have enough stops on his organ.

How does an organist change a lightbulb?
    Holds it up and wait for the world to revolve around them.

How do you make $1 million dollars?
    Start with $2 million and work as an organist.

Next Sunday, there will be a brief organ recital by the organist of St Martin in the Fields. Our organist Mr Dobson will prevent the entertainment.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Reading between the lines, I would say that TSE is not a fan of the three Brexiteer plan.

As leaving the EU proves not to be the cake walk they promised, the Tory Brexit loons have so far blamed:
    1. The BBC
    2. The House of Commons
    3. The House of Lords
    4. The courts
    5. The civil service
    6. The EU
    7. Remain voters
    8. The Bank of England
    9. British businesses
    10. The Irish

Labour
    Ken Clarke
    Tony Blair
    The Guardian
    George Osborne
    Jonathan said:

Reading between the lines, I would say that TSE is not a fan of the three Brexiteer plan.

He is very subtle and discreet about it though. It's like his Star Trek puns.
    edited February 2018
    I understand why TSE dislikes the plan, but he seems in denial. The three Brexiteers fully represent his Tory party and the policies they're implementing.

This is a party supported by leavers, who want an ideological Brexit. Pragmatic one nation conservatism and economic prudence are old news.

Why bother stretching a veneer over this. I am not sure what popularity Jeremy Hunt has to offer anyway.
  • Good morning, everyone.

Six Nations: stunning last minute victory for Ireland, but Scotland... well. That wasn't good.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,571
    Nick Cohen on very much the same lines (and pointing out that Corbyn is a mirror image of the gang):
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/feb/04/when-brexit-fails-it-wont-be-fault-of-tory-right-jacob-rees-mogg
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    Jonathan said:

I understand why TSE dislikes the plan, but he seems in denial. The three Brexiteers fully represent his Tory party and the policies they're implementing.

Why bother stretching a veneer over this. I am not sure what popularity Jeremy Hunt has to offer.

Jeremy C Vs Jeremy C
  • Jonathan said:

Why bother stretching a veneer over this. I am not sure what popularity Jeremy Hunt has to offer.

I win about £16,000 if Jeremy Hunt becomes our next PM.

He’d be very popular with me.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 15,543
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Interesting to watch the body language of the few mainstream conservative MPs that show up to Brexit debates - or not hardcore Leavers or Remainers. They clearly hate what's happening and wish Brexit would get sorted and go away.

"Time to declare victory and bring the boys home" as Senator George Aiken didn't quite say about the Vietnam quagmire.
    edited February 2018

Jonathan said:

I win about £16,000 if Jeremy Hunt becomes our next PM.

He’d be very popular with me.
    He would also be a better PM than Corbyn.

Admittedly that is true of pretty much every member of the Commons aside from McDonnell.

Edit - and that may be unfair to the Maoist. He is at least reasonably intelligent and has had an actual job.
    Have your fruitcake and eat it.
    Could Hunt lead this Tory party? It's moved and is moving away from him. He would be a weak, lousy pm if he could never count on the support of his own party.

Your best bet might be to preempt the drift and elevate the most sensible Brexiteer now.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    edited February 2018
    Johnson Mogg Gove is a non starter. Johnson-Rudd OTOH looks very plausible
  • LEAVE 52%
    REMAIN 48%

:innocent:

Yes, about 50:50.
  • I admire and respect the effort that headline writers put into this site: That said we have the same, meaningless drivel from Caliph HB from Sheffield-Hallam. So 'Java 9 for the Impatient' will have to provide today's entertainment.

:rock-moggster:
  • Do we believe this story? Is there any real evidence Gove, Boris and JRM or even their lieutenants are conspiring together, rather than separately? I'm not sure it passes the smell test. It sounds more like a Remainer's nightmare than a dream team. Though where is Andrea Leadsom in all of this?

Do we believe this story? Is there any real evidence Gove, Boris and JRM or even their lieutenants are conspiring together, rather than separately? I'm not sure it passes the smell test. It sounds more like a Remainer's nightmare than a dream team. Though where is Andrea Leadsom in all of this?

Off on amother route to power?
  • Do we believe this story? Is there any real evidence Gove, Boris and JRM or even their lieutenants are conspiring together, rather than separately? I'm not sure it passes the smell test. It sounds more like a Remainer's nightmare than a dream team. Though where is Andrea Leadsom in all of this?

Is it a real story in the sense the words have been uttered? Yes, I expect so: Tim Shipman is the best-connected journalist in Conservative circles out there and he has no reason to prejudice his good name. Is it a serious plot? I doubt it. It looks more like an attempt to give the steering wheel a sharp right tug.
    edited February 2018

As leaving the EU proves not to be the cake walk they promised, the Tory Brexit loons have so far blamed:
    1. The BBC
    2. The House of Commons
    3. The House of Lords
    4. The courts
    5. The civil service
    6. The EU
    7. Remain voters
    8. The Bank of England
    9. British businesses
    10. The Irish

The Establishment innit?

Incidentally, this is a good article and the reason why staying in the EU is also a bad option. There are no good Brexit options

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/feb/03/brexit-redcar-bracknell-steel
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,765
    Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

I’m inclined to agree with your sequence of events, and I think that with a dozen or two rebels on either side of her own party she is going to struggle to get any Brexit Bill through the Commons.

Labour also need to be careful not to overplay their hand by mindlessly opposing anything rather than being constructive about things. They have their own rebels and have managed to say nothing that might offend anyone so far.

Given we know Corbyn wants us out, it’s possible he might whip an abstention were it not for the fact that the Bill falling takes the government down with it.
    I don't think the Commons votes will be much of a problem. The government had a majority of 29 for the Third Reading of its Bill.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,765

Do we believe this story? Is there any real evidence Gove, Boris and JRM or even their lieutenants are conspiring together, rather than separately? I'm not sure it passes the smell test. It sounds more like a Remainer's nightmare than a dream team. Though where is Andrea Leadsom in all of this?

It doesn't seem very likely to me.
  • Jonathan said:

Could Hunt lead this Tory party? It's moved and is moving away from him. He would be a weak, lousy pm if he could never count on the support of his own party.

Your best bet might be to preempt the drift and elevate the most sensible Brexiteer now.

Who is the most sensible Brexiteer?

When Theresa May formed her first Cabinet I would have said that David Davis was that individual, but my opinion of the master negotiator has rather declined.

Michael Gove has, to my surprise, said some positive things as Environment Secretary, but I'd never be able to describe the Tory Maoist as sensible.
    The whole thing's a nightmare and, I suspect, making us something of a laughing stock around the world.
    The nation that had it all and threw it away to go back to the thirties.
    Sean_F said:

It doesn't seem very likely to me.
    Is it Boris and Gove trying to make sure the JRM bandwagon doesn't become too detached from them?
  • Six Nations, perusing the Italy/England markets on Ladbrokes. Quite a few of potential interest. Italy can be very tough at home, especially in the first half. Whilst I expect England to win, I also think things could be very tight for the first 40 minutes.

Things that particularly caught my eye were:
    Italy (+10) to win the first half at 2.
    Italy/England for half/full time winners at 8 (if that sounds fanciful, it would've paid off last year).

NB Italy to win the first half at 5.5 is available but I think if that happens England will still win overall, so I prefer the other bet, at longer odds.

I did look at England winning the second half by more than 14 points at 1.9, but the odds are a bit tight.

Incidentally, with boost those odds are 2.05 and 9.
  • RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    AndyJS said:

What a slippery duplicitous man Dominic Grieve has become. He’s not calling for a second referendum, but simultaneously wants people to have the chance to change their mind. He also thinks it’s a ‘conundrum’ that Parliament has been asked to do something that most MPs and Lords don’t want to. It’s not a conundrum; it’s democracy.

When Theresa May formed her first Cabinet I would have said that David Davis was that individual, but my opinion of the master negotiator has rather declined.

Based on his body language and demeanour I think he's the Brexiteer who's been most thoroughly disabused of his delusions.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,958

I can easily believe this story originates from - and as - a formulation of Remainer worst fears. It has certainly got TSE wetting the bed. Things are coming to a head in the next couple of weeks. It will decide the shape of the Brexit we (at least try to) purse - and much else. Seems the Remainers fear they might be losing traction - and are getting their blame in first. "We only lost because these shits were threatening to bring down the Government...."

But Remainers, when your Last Best Hope is Dominic Grieve.....

*titter*

• FF43 said:

1. The BBC
    2. The House of Commons
    3. The House of Lords
    4. The courts
    5. The civil service
    6. The EU
    7. Remain voters
    8. The Bank of England
    9. British businesses
    10. The Irish

The Establishment innit?

Incidentally, this is a good article and the reason why staying in the EU is also a bad option. There are no good Brexit options

An establishment view:

https://twitter.com/nickmacpherson2/status/959748824398008320
  • Mr. Blue, I wonder if Grieve is aiming to make his 'meaningful vote' one on rejecting leaving the EU altogether, or for a second referendum.
  • TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

1. The BBC
    2. The House of Commons
    3. The House of Lords
    4. The courts
    5. The civil service
    6. The EU
    7. Remain voters
    8. The Bank of England
    9. British businesses
    10. The Irish

Only one name on my list : T May.

edited February 2018
    TGOHF said:

1. The BBC
    2. The House of Commons
    3. The House of Lords
    4. The courts
    5. The civil service
    6. The EU
    7. Remain voters
    8. The Bank of England
    9. British businesses
    10. The Irish

What precisely do you think she should have done differently presuming you approved of the Lancaster House speech and invoking Article 50 last March?
  • TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

TGOHF said:

1. The BBC
    2. The House of Commons
    3. The House of Lords
    4. The courts
    5. The civil service
    6. The EU
    7. Remain voters
    8. The Bank of England
    9. British businesses
    10. The Irish

What precisely do you think she should have done differently presuming you approved of the Lancaster House speech and invoking Article 50 last March?
    Her lack of leadership and vision has allowed these various groups of headless chickens to push her around.

Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

I don't think the Commons votes will be much of a problem. The government had a majority of 29 for the Third Reading of its Bill.
    Labour would not want to be seen as the party that blocked Brexit.

That's what the LibDems are for.

I suspect rather than block Brexit, enough Labour MPs in leave-voting seats would abstain. Or get an imprtant appointent to remove some wisdom teeth. After all, how many want to block Brexit and then immediately have to face their electorate in a General Election?
  • One day the mainstream media will unmask a Momentum member who is not from a privileged, middle class background.
  • As an aside, the fifteenth chapter of the second book of Machiavelli's Discourses on Livy is about how harmful slow and ambiguous decisions are.

Mr. Blue, I wonder if Grieve is aiming to make his 'meaningful vote' one on rejecting leaving the EU altogether, or for a second referendum.

The fact that he might even consider it acceptable for a vote in Parliament to overturn the referendum shows that he has no business being an MP, let alone a Tory one. If ultimately you don’t think the people should get what they vote for, it’s totally hypocritical to put yourself up for election.

TSE et al bang on about JRM’s reactionary views. The true reactionaries are people like Grieve, who’s views on popular sovereignty would fit well in the 19th century.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

The whole thing's a nightmare and, I suspect, making us something of a laughing stock around the world.

The thirties being when we rejected the fascist philosophies that underpinned governments in other European countries? The thirties being when we stood firm for individual liberties and against a centralising force in Europe?

Jonathan said:

Michael Gove has, to my surprise, said some positive things as Environment Secretary, but I'd never be able to describe the Tory Maoist as sensible.
    David Davis was the only Brexiteer that tried to make the project work. He failed, as was inevitable.

I give him some kudos.
  • rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,881

A government whose leading members were Boris Johnson (congenital plotter and openly disloyal to Theresa May), Michael Gove (who famously knifed Boris Johnson’s leadership campaign), IDS (Maastricht rebel) and Priti Patel (formed an independent foreign policy and lied to the Prime Minister about it) would be a contender for the most treacherous Cabinet ever.

There’s room for Liam Fox in there also...

FF43 said:

1. The BBC
    2. The House of Commons
    3. The House of Lords
    4. The courts
    5. The civil service
    6. The EU
    7. Remain voters
    8. The Bank of England
    9. British businesses
    10. The Irish

The Establishment innit?

An establishment view:

https://twitter.com/nickmacpherson2/status/959748824398008320
    Nick is a nice man (he is non-executive chairman of our main company) but he'd gone off the deep end on this one...
    edited February 2018
    Charles said:

The thirties being when we rejected the fascist philosophies that underpinned governments in other European countries? The thirties being when we stood firm for individual liberties and against a centralising force in Europe?
    TGOHF said:
    Yes, that decade.

Hopefully we will do so again but the juxtaposition is unfortunate wouldn't you agree?

Edit. - I have to go and play the organ including blowing an 8 foot horn. Have a good morning.
    Charles said:

The thirties when we built hundreds of thousands of ample homes in London and the South East, rather than the rabbit hutches going up today.

One day the mainstream media will unmask a Momentum member who is not from a privileged, middle class background.

Nobility? A member of the House of Lords?
    ydoethur said:

Charles said:

TGOHF said:
    Yes, that decade.

Hopefully we will do so again but the juxtaposition is unfortunate wouldn't you agree?

Edit. - I have to go and play the organ including blowing an 8 foot horn. Have a good morning.
    Yes - although Mosley was a Labour MP before he became a wannabe dictator.

(Why @OldKingCole as a remainer, chose to highlight that decade, I don't know...)
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392

1. The BBC
    2. The House of Commons
    3. The House of Lords
    4. The courts
    5. The civil service
    6. The EU
    7. Remain voters
    8. The Bank of England
    9. British businesses
    10. The Irish

I just appreciate you making clear it's the tory Brexit loons who have done that rather than the lazy, emotional histrionics of those who deliberately pretend all people on each side are exactly the same.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,056
    Charles said:

We spent most of the Thirties appeasing fascists, and also a great deal of time suppressing independence movements across our colonies.
    Charles said:

When we recognised (despite strong Tory views to the contrary) that Britain had no future standing aside from the continent.
    Charles said:

Touché!
    However, one couldn't say that the thirties were, for many people, a decade the enjoyed. And I wouldn't say the fifties, because, especially as I was young then, it was a decade of hope.

Perhap I should have just said some dimly remembered fantasy time, as Victorian derring do!
  • It's quite likely that every Sunday until May leaves we will have a story like this in one of the Sunday papers, so it's notable that we've already reached the fantasy of JRM as Chancellor at the Treacherous Treasury.

How much more outlandish can the proposed new Cabinets become?
    Foxy said:

Charles said:

We spent most of the Thirties appeasing fascists, and also a great deal of time suppressing independence movements across our colonies.
    Nobody's perfect :smiley:

(But we got there in the end: as they say about our American cousin - a day late and a dollar short)
  • FF43 said:

Jonathan said:

David Davis was the only Brexiteer that tried to make the project work. He failed, as was inevitable.

I give him some kudos.

What you can say for Davis is that he has admitted that he campaigned to leave the EU without knowing how it works while being wrong about the UK’s options after a Leave victory.

Seems like Charles fancies a return to the 1930s.

It's quite likely that every Sunday until May leaves we will have a story like this in one of the Sunday papers, so it's notable that we've already reached the fantasy of JRM as Chancellor at the Treacherous Treasury.

One that has Dominic Grieve in it?
  • rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,881
    Whoever wins is going to need enough MP support to make it to the final 2.
    That means I suspect they will need at least some support from both Remain and Leaver MPs.

Therefore I wonder if we will see split tickets rather than Dream Teams.
    Hunt & Gove vs. Johnson & Rudd vs. Williamson & Leadsom perhaps...
    Others will have a better guess as to the combinations...
    IanB2 said:

Charles said:

When we recognised (despite strong Tory views to the contrary) that Britain had no future standing aside from the continent.
    Sure - we will always be involved in Europe: as a friend, partner and guardian. That doesn't involve merging into a political union.
  • chloechloe Posts: 308

FF43 said:

Jonathan said:

I give him some kudos.

What you can say for Davis is that he has admitted that he campaigned to leave the EU without knowing how it works while being wrong about the UK’s options after a Leave victory.

All Boris has done is be disloyal and prepare his bid for the leadership.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    edited February 2018
    Interesting - being in 'a' Customs Union would mean the EU could sell access to our market to who ever they liked, without any input - or reciprocal benefit for us:

That would mean for instance that in the EU/Japan trade deal, which is currently being negotiated, Turkey would apply the reduced tariffs on Japanese imports but would not be party to the deal to reciprocally reduce tariffs on exports to Japan

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/02/03/experience-tells-britain-needs-leave-customs-union/?WT.mc_id=tmg_share_tw
    Jonathan said:

Not really. As @OldKingCole says, it was a difficult time for many.

It's quite likely that every Sunday until May leaves we will have a story like this in one of the Sunday papers, so it's notable that we've already reached the fantasy of JRM as Chancellor at the Treacherous Treasury.

PM: Ken Clarke
    Chancellor: Amber Rudd
    Foreign Secretary: Dominic Grieve
    Home Secretary: Anna Soubry
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164
    Jonathan said:

As an Arsenal supporter, I'm all in favour of a return to the 30s.
  • RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    Charles said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

TGOHF said:
    Yes, that decade.

(Why @OldKingCole as a remainer, chose to highlight that decade, I don't know...)
    Yes Mosley was a Labour MP for a while, but he was actually elected as a Conservative. Not sure either fact is particularly relevant to the debate, but I wonder why you would mention one and not the other?

One day the mainstream media will unmask a Momentum member who is not from a privileged, middle class background.

Is there any evidence that the protesters were in Momentum? I thought that they were freelance Anti-Fascists.

Charles said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

TGOHF said:
    Yes, that decade.

Yes Mosley was a Labour MP for a while, but he was actually elected as a Conservative. Not sure either fact is particularly relevant to the debate, but I wonder why you would mention one and not the other?
    Because I didn't know...

According to wiki he was originally elected in 1918 as a Tory at the age of 21, but by 1922 (it doesn't say when) he had resigned the whip and successfully defended his seat as an independent against the Tories in 1922 and 1923.He joined Labour in March 1924, was elected as a Labour MP in 1926, and was a Labour Cabinet Minister in 1929-31.

Based on that it seems fair to characterise him as a Labour politician despite his youthful folly
    Charles said:

Jonathan said:

Not really. As @OldKingCole says, it was a difficult time for many.
    It was a mixed picture!

After 1932, with Neville Chamberlain as CoE we had one of the fastest growing economies in the world including cutting edge automotive, aircraft and telecommunications. The NE was grim but Midlands and SE were booming with low unemployment. Foreign and Colonial policy wasn't great, of course.
    edited February 2018

PM: Ken Clarke
    Chancellor: Amber Rudd
    Foreign Secretary: Dominic Grieve
    Home Secretary: Anna Soubry
    I think the members might not go along with that one. (Sample size:1)
This discussion has been closed.