Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Moggy ousts Jezza as next PM betting favourite

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited February 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Moggy ousts Jezza as next PM betting favourite

Over the weekend there has been a big change on the next prime minister betting market on Betfair. The long-standing favourite since the general election, Mr Corbyn, has now slipped to second place behind Jacob Rees-Mogg who is attracting a lot of betting support at the moment for both the CON leadership and the next occupant of Number 10.

Read the full story here

Comments

• JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517
    edited February 2018
    Thirst.

Not that it counts for much, but there is no way I could vote for a Conservative Party that had JRM as a leader. I could - perhaps - be persuaded to vote for Boris (I'd probably have to wash my hands afterwards), but JRM? No way.
  • Depressing.
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,723
    edited February 2018
    3rd like May is rate
  • TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Scott_P said:
    Sir Jimmy Saville would approve.
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Scott_P said:
    No chance of a scandal in the making there.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,571

Depressing.

Yes, but for a moment I read 'Moggy ousts Jezza', and envisaged a most unlikely leadership coup...

• Scott_P said:
    I think I must be the only F1 fan who is interested in the racing.

Everyone else seems to be perverts interested in admiring the totty.
  • Nigelb said:

Depressing.

Yes, but for a moment I read 'Moggy ousts Jezza', and envisaged a most unlikely leadership coup...

Moggster and Corbyn are two cheeks of the same arse.
  • AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    I get the feeling that the only reason people are talking about JRM as leader is because people are talking about JRM as leader. It's fluff and stuff and nonsense. If it came to pass (see - I'm doing it now!) then it would see the Tories on 25%.
    JRM's rise, and the last thread (indeed, many others), shows the main problem with Brexit.

It is not about customs union, free movement and everything else. The UK has historically been very good at muddling through, and whatever is decided, we'd probably muddle through, albeit at some cost.

However everything is being subsumed through the prism of Brexit. Every other question - especially good governance - is subservient.

It's become a religious, doctrinal conflict within the Conservative party: it doesn't matter if you're as loathsome as Leadsom, or as backwards as JRM: if you're a pure, true believer, then you're okay. If the Conservative party was having this religious war in opposition then it wouldn't matter as much. But they're not. They're in government.

And they're f'ing clueless.

I mean, JRM. For f'sake. Can someone try to convince me of any positive qualities he possesses for leader of the party, yet alone PM?
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Quoted from previous thread:
    Ishmael_Z said:

I see Trump is demonstrating once again today that he is the most anti-British president we have seen in the White House for many decades. Has any US president in living memory told so many lies about the UK?

Well, which is it? Deducing from "Save the NHS march" that the marchers believe that the NHS needs saving looks pretty reasonable to me. If the NHS does not in fact need saving, who is the liar?
  • Good afternoon, everyone.

Mr. Eagles, "Grid girls are objectifying women!" "Quick, let's objectify children instead!"

As someone else on Twitter observed, there are serious questions about an indefensible pay structure, and other challenges too, grid girls/kids are not in the top five things Liberty needs to sort out. But it's easier to get headlines that way.
    JRM's appeal is that he communicates with clarity and confidence in his subject matter.

Ticks a box that 90% of other MPs can't tick.

• Good afternoon, everyone.

Mr. Eagles, "Grid girls are objectifying women!" "Quick, let's objectify children instead!"

As someone else on Twitter observed, there are serious questions about an indefensible pay structure, and other challenges too, grid girls/kids are not in the top five things Liberty needs to sort out. But it's easier to get headlines that way.

Objectifying the kids?

Just what are you expecting them to wear?

It’ll be like the kids at the start of a test/ODI match or a premier league match.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,056
    AndyJS said:

Ishmael_Z said:

I see Trump is demonstrating once again today that he is the most anti-British president we have seen in the White House for many decades. Has any US president in living memory told so many lies about the UK?

Well, which is it? Deducing from "Save the NHS march" that the marchers believe that the NHS needs saving looks pretty reasonable to me. If the NHS does not in fact need saving, who is the liar?
    From the next PM:

https://twitter.com/Jeremy_Hunt/status/960503230601089024
  • Foxy said:

AndyJS said:

Ishmael_Z said:

From the next PM:

https://twitter.com/Jeremy_Hunt/status/960503230601089024
    Our nailed on next PM.

I need to drive his price down further to trade out.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 15,543
    Jeremy Corbyn is not particularly likely to be the next PM. Theresa May would have to take the Conservatives into the next election and then lose.
  • TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    edited February 2018
    Anorak said:

I get the feeling that the only reason people are talking about JRM as leader is because people are talking about JRM as leader. It's fluff and stuff and nonsense. If it came to pass (see - I'm doing it now!) then it would see the Tories on 25%.

Same things said about corbyn and look what happened,he took labour over 40%.
  • Thirst.

Not that it counts for much, but there is no way I could vote for a Conservative Party that had JRM as a leader. I could - perhaps - be persuaded to vote for Boris (I'd probably have to wash my hands afterwards), but JRM? No way.

The above is pretty much where I stand too
  • Anorak said:

JRM is a traitor.

He’s said publicly he takes his instructions from a foreign power.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074

Thirst.

My feelings too. The Tories have gone mad.

JRM's rise, and the last thread (indeed, many others), shows the main problem with Brexit.

It is not about customs union, free movement and everything else. The UK has historically been very good at muddling through, and whatever is decided, we'd probably muddle through, albeit at some cost.

However everything is being subsumed through the prism of Brexit. Every other question - especially good governance - is subservient.

It's become a religious, doctrinal conflict within the Conservative party: it doesn't matter if you're as loathsome as Leadsom, or as backwards as JRM: if you're a pure, true believer, then you're okay. If the Conservative party was having this religious war in opposition then it wouldn't matter as much. But they're not. They're in government.

I mean, JRM. For f'sake. Can someone try to convince me of any positive qualities he possesses for leader of the party, yet alone PM?

Jacob Rees Mogg is authentically fake. He sells a better quality of snake oil. Nota Bene, Boris Johnson.

Anorak said:

JRM is a traitor.

As do all remainers.

• StockyStocky Posts: 9,653
    Yes, Jeremy Hunt, I agree. Whichever Brexiteer stands, Moggster, Johnson or Gove, there will be a challenger from more moderate side.

Rudd, Davidson or Hunt. Rudd doesn`t have the majority in her constituency to be safe, Davidson is impossible for obvious reasons.

That leaves Hunt.

• JohnO and myself are long standing Tory members/activists, we’d sit campaiging out whilst he’s leader until the party returned to sanity.

(I’d make exceptions for people like Tissue Price were he to stand again)
    TGOHF said:

JRM's appeal is that he communicates with clarity and confidence in his subject matter.

And the fact that he is mostly talking balls is irrelevant, I suppose.
  • philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

Beyond the narrow spectrum of Brexit and his Catholic orientated views, I know nothing. Therefore I don't know enough to comment.
  • stevefstevef Posts: 1,044
    Corbyn wont be the next after next after next after next...........

The next prime minister will in any case be a Tory since the Tories are not going to allow Theresa May to lead them into the next general election. They will want someone else in place before 2022.

However those who believe it will be Mogg are living in a fantasy world. As pointed out many times, although Mogg is the favourite of Tory members, Tory MPs have the choice over which two candidates go to the membership, and they will never ever select Mogg as one of those two candidates. Tory PMS first second and third criteria for choosing the next PM will be "who can beat Corbyn in a general election. The answer to that is not someone who resembles a posh patrician and is so right wing he thinks rape victims should be forced into maternity wards.

Nor will Tories want to replace May until after Brexit is over. She will limp on until 2020, and then she will go.
  • Cyclefree said:

Thirst.

Not yet they haven't

Hopefully disaster can be avoided.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,787
    TGOHF said:

Anorak said:

JRM is a traitor.

As do all remainers.

It’s not Remainers who want the EU to be a foreign power.
    Cyclefree said:

TGOHF said:

Mostly, CF? Give JRM credit where it's due. I don't often agree with TGOHF, but I do here. JRM DOES communicate with clarity and confidence on his subject matter.
  • Well they're both max red in my book, along with a motley crew of Labourites, Lib Dems and a few other Tories.

Solving this market is getting a bit Sherlock Holmes - with the unfortunate exception that few things in politics are genuinely impossible.
    Cyclefree said:

TGOHF said:

Yes - he exudes a confidence in what he is talking about - not many others can pull it off.

Tony Blair had it - even when talking about invading Iraq.

Anorak said:

Jeremy Corbyn is interested in issues that affect 'ordinary' people on the street - or at least he pretends to. He even looks like a person on the street (and since his makeover, no longer a wino sleeping on the street). Many people want change, he is offering it, and he looks like 'one of us'.

This might be very unfair, but JRM seems to have no connection with 'ordinary' people. He cannot even be arsed to change the nappies of his children.

Imagine him as PM: "There's an urgent dirty job that needs doing, and it's our responsibility!"
    "Get Belgium to do it."
  • At the most recents grands prix I attended it was something like this

• AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Cyclefree said:

Thirst.

They would be mad to launch a leadership election at this time.

Mr. Eagles, what do you think the grid girls wore?

http s://twitter.com/rebeccageldard/status/958774286931693568

http s://twitter.com/Jonathan_Witt/status/959290656932823040

Again, you miss the point. There's no reason to have grid girls. They don't serve a purpose that can't reasonably be performed in other ways. It's not a tradition that's worth hanging on to.

So a question: why do you think they should be kept?
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    TGOHF said:

Anorak said:

JRM is a traitor.

As do all remainers.

Always sovereign, sunshine.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    Lay the favourite. Lay the 2nd favourite. The next PM will be a Conservative. May will not be allowed anywhere near an Election again.
    Unless they have taken leave of their senses.
    It will not be JRM, unless they really have taken leave of their senses.
    But they may possibly have done so.
    So who knows...
  • Mr. Eagles, what do you think the grid girls wore?

Again, you miss the point. There's no reason to have grid girls. They don't serve a purpose that can't reasonably be performed in other ways. It's not a tradition that's worth hanging on to.

The girls who do the jobs don't want to lose them. Why do you think they should?
    TGOHF said:

Cyclefree said:

TGOHF said:

Yes - he exudes a confidence in what he is talking about - not many others can pull it off.

Tony Blair had it - even when talking about invading Iraq.
    I fear you are listening with your ears, and not those of the people the Conservatives need to appeal to. Corbyn had an image problem when he became Labour leader, and he has gone some way to fixing that. JRM has exactly the opposite image problem; the only problem is that he would look ridiculous if he dressed down.
  • As it happens, on Saturday I was talking about JRM at a dinner party with a couple of friends who happen to be elderly male CON members. The unanimous view was that he is amusing and speaks well, but is completely mad. Based on this rigorously scientific poll, I'd say there's plenty of doubt about how well he'd do if he makes the final two.

Anorak said:

That's a little like arguing we should back the next pussy grabbing billionaire with a strange coiffure and a good line in brazen bullshit as Democratic favourite to take over from Trump.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,765

Scott_P said:

The totty is far more interesting than the racing.
  • At the most recents grands prix I attended it was something like this

Far classier than the Grammy outfit.

Mr. Eagles, what do you think the grid girls wore?

The girls who do the jobs don't want to lose them. Why do you think they should?
    It's a business decision. No-one has a right to a job (especially short-term contracts such as these), and they're not needed. So again I ask, why should they be kept?
  • Mr. Eagles, bare arms?! Bare arms! They would've been held in contempt by the mores of Elizabethan England, I tell you!

[No, really, they would. Exposed cleavage was fine, but bare arms were seen as very revealing].

Mr. Jessop, if they serve no purpose then why have grid kids?
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,765
    Ishmael_Z said:

Scott_P said:
    No chance of a scandal in the making there.
    Hopefully, the grid kids will be as sexy as the grid girls.
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Unbundling "I'd never let my daughter" is fun.
  • Stocky said:

Yes, Jeremy Hunt, I agree. Whichever Brexiteer stands, Moggster, Johnson or Gove, there will be a challenger from more moderate side.

Rudd, Davidson or Hunt. Rudd doesn`t have the majority in her constituency to be safe, Davidson is impossible for obvious reasons.

That leaves Hunt.

There may not be a single Conservative party to lead at the current rate. This is beginning to look like Corn Laws redux.

Stocky said:

That leaves Hunt.

There may not be a single Conservative party to lead at the current rate. This is beginning to look like Corn Laws redux.
    JRM could be the great unifier if his clarity of argument is able to lead the Brexiteers towards concluding that Brexit is pointless.
  • Mr. Eagles, what do you think the grid girls wore?

It's a business decision. No-one has a right to a job (especially short-term contracts such as these), and they're not needed. So again I ask, why should they be kept?
    Because they've done their job perfectly well and professionally.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164
    F1 endorses child labour?
    edited February 2018
    FF43 said:

Cyclefree said:

TGOHF said:

Mostly, CF? Give JRM credit where it's due. I don't often agree with TGOHF, but I do here. JRM DOES communicate with clarity and confidence on his subject matter.
    And what is his expertise? The subject matter on which he speaks with great confidence?

He has no answer on how to reconcile the requirements of the Northern Ireland peace agreement with Brexit, no answer on what WATO rules will mean for a whole range of industries in practice, no answer on how one achieves trade in the 21st century without hold ups and delays and a myriad other requirements without an FTA or a customs union.

It’s all no, to this, no to that, no to the other with him. Done with fluency, certainly, and politeness. But knowledge, expertise, practical solutions? Where is the beef?

May is in a corner because she foolishly boxed herself into a corner too early to prove herself more Brexity than the Brexiteers. That is why she has so little wriggle room. JRM would remove what little wriggle room there is.

But the main objection to him - as to all those who are busy impaling themselves on the Brexit crucifix - is that Brexit happened because a lot of people were unhappy with the status quo and wanted change but the Brexiteers think that the answer to their concerns is to implement Brexit and it will answer those concerns. But it isn’t and it won’t. JRM does not understand this. Corbyn, for all his faults, does. That is why he has spent more time talking about peoples’s concerns and coming up with some vaguely appealing answers than obsessing about Brexit. It makes him look rather more normal than most Tories these days, which is going some - given the revolting causes he has associated himself with over the years. That is the measure of how catastrophically bonkers and irresponsible the Tories are being. They make Corbyn look reasonable and safe.

When JRM has enacted his purist version of Brexit, those problems will still be there. What answers does he have?
  • As it happens, on Saturday I was talking about JRM at a dinner party with a couple of friends who happen to be elderly male CON members. The unanimous view was that he is amusing and speaks well, but is completely mad. Based on this rigorously scientific poll, I'd say there's plenty of doubt about how well he'd do if he makes the final two.

Particularly when the party is in Government. On which note, the Party really ought to be working on a process that would enable the membership vote to take place within 2 weeks when in Government (Online voting? Ballot boxes at Association offices?)
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

He’s nice, very smart, self depreciating, has principles (in spades)... and he doesn’t want the job
  • Mr. Borough, hmm. Must admit, I don't have a betting interest there, but he seems to be doing quite well.

I wonder how the Poles' polls are holding up.
  • SunnyJimSunnyJim Posts: 1,106
    Mrs Jim (who finds politics crashingly dull) was watching the news with JRM being interrupted by the exuberant youngsters.

She was impressed with just how reasonable and intelligent he comes across.
  • Charles said:

He’s nice, very smart, self depreciating, has principles (in spades)... and he doesn’t want the job
    Nice people do not make up evidence-free conspiracy theories about people who are unable to respond.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,762
    Sigh.
  • Mr. 86, not sure the kids would be paid. So it'd be more exploitation than labour. And it's put some women out of work. And there's already suspicion that the kids will all be the offspring of millionaires/celebrities.

The comments on the BBC article are less than enthused. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/42950040

Scott_P said:

They race?
  • Given the size of the field, the political landscape, and the sheer uncertainty of it all, laying JRM and Corbyn on the basis that there's a lot higher than 70% chance of it being someone
    - anyone - else makes a lot of sense.
    Jacob Rees-Mogg has made the most compelling argument yet for reversing Brexit completely: “The British people did not vote for that. They did not vote for the management of decline. They voted for hope and opportunity and politicians must now deliver it.”
  • Sadly I did fear that this was inevitable.

The Tombstone Group would see a Leave victory as an endorsement to spread their more unpalatable/unelectable views.

Charles said:

Nice people do not make up evidence-free conspiracy theories about people who are unable to respond.
    Or refuse to apologise when shown they are in the wrong.

• AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    Charles said:

I'm not sure his antediluvian principles are universally agreed to be a positive.
  • Stocky said:

That leaves Hunt.

Perhaps David Mundell would like to be the next Secretary General of NATO? There is a possible vacancy this autumn (failing that, 2019) and a British appointment would be a very useful counterweight to Brexit. Though the rumours are that we are considering putting a different David forward.
    If it wasn't for Brexit this would be getting far more attention than it is.
  • StockyStocky Posts: 9,653
    As I say, I`m on Hunt for next Tory leader, but if you doubt the quality of Rees-Mogg you should see his take down of socialism:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKe4X9czItI
    edited February 2018

Charles said:

Genuine question. Do you think the pre-referendum civil service forecasts were made in good faith?
  • Stocky said:

That leaves Hunt.

Perhaps David Mundell would like to be the next Secretary General of NATO? There is a possible vacancy this autumn (failing that, 2019) and a British appointment would be a very useful counterweight to Brexit. Though the rumours are that we are considering putting a different David forward.
    Dave’s autobiography is out this autumn.

Might rule him out.
    Stocky said:

As I say, I`m on Hunt for next Tory leader, but if you doubt the quality of Rees-Mogg you should see his take down of socialism:

you think that the ability to take down socialism qualifies someone as a potential Tory leader?
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,741
    Afternoon all :)

On Jacob Rees-Mogg, I fundamentally disagree with him on many things but he did handle the student protest well (as indeed many other politicians would have). The notion of masked "thugs" barging into a meeting to cause trouble is as counter-productive as it can possibly be.

Far more effective to listen in silence and then get up and leave in silence or ask a particularly pointed question and then leave. Rees-Mogg has a right to be heard, no question, but he also has a right to be challenged and that is a far more effective weapon than thuggery and violence.

On an unrelated, Surrey's full Council meets tomorrow to vote through a 5.99% increase in Council Tax - one imagines the Budget meeting this year will be less theatrical than in 2017 - but the net effect for residents will still be severe. Farnham residents, facing rises from both Waverley Council and the Surrey Police Commissioner (a former County Councillor himself) will face an overall 5.5% Council tax rise.

With Northants under a Section 114 notice and a number of local authorities supposedly on the brink, there are serious questions out there to be considered. One absurdity is how funding for the NHS is supposedly ring-fenced but funding for both public health and social care which fall under local authority control, isn't or aren't. That crisis hasn't gone anyway in any form and remains a huge issue for many local councils.
  • MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    Scott_P said:

So they will put barriers up to sell us stuff? Hmmmm.

• Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

So they will put barriers up to sell us stuff? Hmmmm.

We put them up
  • TOPPING said:

Stocky said:

you think that the ability to take down socialism qualifies someone as a potential Tory leader?
    Its a necessary quality yes. The Tories are facing an Opposition that is avowedly and openly Socialist. Taking that on is a necessity.

TOPPING said:

Stocky said:

Its a necessary quality yes. The Tories are facing an Opposition that is avowedly and openly Socialist. Taking that on is a necessity.
    What, and you don't think small children in Skeggie are able to "take down socialism"?
    Scott_P said:
    Which EU turkey will vote for their goods to be held up entering the Uk in a similar way ?

• Hmm. Not really a difficult choice. A father of 8 or a man who divorced his wife and abandoned his son for political reasons.

TOPPING said:

Stocky said:

On the contrary, he would be an enabler. Given Mogg as the alternative, socialism might suddenly look more palatable to many.
  • Scott_P said:
    Denial. It's not just a river in Egypt.
    Scott_P said:
    Which French Ports? Presumably not Calais etc.
  • Scott_P said:
    We're arguing about seven minutes? Really?

As for the Irish border, how long is the current delay to check there's no booze'n'fags being smuggled across in the consignment?
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    TGOHF said:

Which EU turkey will vote for their goods to be held up entering the Uk

We did

Which part of "control our borders" is confusing you?
    Scott_P said:
    You have to wonder when he last caught a Ferry. 7 minutes? Wow. Wish they could match that with cars.
    Charles said:

I couldn't tell you if he's 'nice' (depending on what that means) - but is 'nice' a quality needed in a PM? Thatcher was effective, but few outside her immediate circle would use 'nice' as the first words to describe her.

'Self-deprecating'. So am I. Can I be PM? In fact, is self-deprecation a desirable quality in a PM?

As for 'principles': it's easy to have them, but a lot harder to hold them when in a position of responsibility. Something he's been untested in.
  • El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870

Hmm. Not really a difficult choice. A father of 8 or a man who divorced his wife and abandoned his son for political reasons.

Personally I don't form my opinion of best Prime Minister based on people's personal lives, but YMMV.
    TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:
    Which EU turkey will vote for their goods to be held up entering the Uk in a similar way ?

You think the EU will veto a deal that doesn’t include a customs union?
  • Both JRM and Corbyn are overstated. The one because he'll have trouble getting MPs' votes (if he even stands); the other because a Con leadership election is a near-certainty before the next election and despite the lack of a Con majority, as long as DUP core interests are not threatened, they'll not bring the Tories down.
    edited February 2018
    Scott_P said:

TGOHF said:

We did

Scott_P said:

TGOHF said:

We did

Have the French started building more capacity to cope or are they planning to have huge tailbacks on their Motorways ?

Mr. Eagles, bare arms?! Bare arms! They would've been held in contempt by the mores of Elizabethan England, I tell you!

[No, really, they would. Exposed cleavage was fine, but bare arms were seen as very revealing].

Mr. Jessop, if they serve no purpose then why have grid kids?

It's a business. Last week, I proposed that a raffle that meant that random fans who buy tickets get the chance to go on the grid. This is even better, and great PR. They could be done without, but instead of bland idenitkit women, you'll have *stories*.

As an example: "Josh, 10, lost his dad last year to a drink-driver. He's here on the grid as a symbol of the FIA's 3,500 lives campaign."

It adds another dimension. And great opportunities for the kids.

You keep on forgetting this is a business.
This discussion has been closed.