Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The little CON polling flurry has come at a bad time for the l

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited February 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The little CON polling flurry has come at a bad time for the leadership plotters

We are living in a time when much of the talk at Westminster continues to be how many CON MPs have written to Graham Brady, 1922 Committee chair, asking for a vote of confidence to be held on Mrs. May. Once he’s received 48 of these Brady has to immediately set up a leadership ballot. The last time the process was invoked MPs were voting within 24 hours.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Nah
  • She's doomed.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,787
    edited February 2018
    I think we may be seeing a similar effect to the beginning of the GE campaign when Labour infighting dominated the airwaves and crowded everyone else out.
  • FPT
    rcs1000 said:

So, basically the most important thing is to look honest.

I wonder if good/honest looking people are more likely to be acquitted.

Male Jurors More Likely To Find Fat Women Guilty, According to Depressing Study

https://tinyurl.com/LightBluesRockDarkBluesSuck
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,722

FPT

rcs1000 said:

Fat women are guilty of overeating?
  • I was told earlier on today that Graham Brady isn't required to hold a vote within 24 hours.

In the case of IDS it just happened to be during the Parliamentary week when most MPs were nearby to hold the contest.

If the sufficient number is triggered say on a Friday the vote would be on Monday.

Plus there's a recess next week.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    It would be bonkers to move on a leader who’s polling in the 40s, doubly so when it’s not clear that any named successor would be more popular nor do better in the Brexit negotiations. Leave her in place for another couple of years.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,958
    But - the plotters will actually start getting into gear if they think the next election is winnable. I mean, who wants to get all putschy, just to be remembered for leading them to defeat?

So, with this polling - game on!!
  • RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    In the country at large, the Tories are doing fine. 40% of the vote is very good 8 years into government. It would be higher still if headless chickens on the backbenches stopped throwing rocks at the Government, all gleefully reported by the enemies of our party and Brexit.

We should keep buggering on.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,765

She's doomed.

Like Merkel, she'll be there in 10 years.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    May was twenty points ahead. We know what happened next.

I expect current polls are irrelevant to the machinations of the angry hoards behind her.

I was told earlier on today that Graham Brady isn't required to hold a vote within 24 hours.

In the case of IDS it just happened to be during the Parliamentary week when most MPs were nearby to hold the contest.

If the sufficient number is triggered say on a Friday the vote would be on Monday.

The Chairman, after consultation with the Leader, shall determine the actual date of such a vote which shall be held as soon as possible in the circumstances prevailing.

From: http://privatewww.essex.ac.uk/~tquinn/leadership_election_rules.htm

I agree that if it’s late in the week or during a recess (when lots of ministers will be travelling) it might take a few days to arrange the vote.
    Sean_F said:

She's doomed.

That will be one hell of a series of hung parliaments!
  • Sean_F said:

She's doomed.

Two years maybe, ten years no.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,741

FPT

rcs1000 said:

Does their evidence carry any weight?
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    What did for IDS was third place in the Brent East by election in late 2003, much as the Tory loss in Eastbourne contributed to Thatcher's downfall in 1990.

At the moment with the Tory voteshare holding up, no alternative leader polling better than May and the local elections in May likely to be OK for the Tories nationally (helped by the collapse of UKIP) short of a by election disaster May will hold on until Brexit is done
  • Sandpit said:

I was told earlier on today that Graham Brady isn't required to hold a vote within 24 hours.

The Chairman, after consultation with the Leader, shall determine the actual date of such a vote which shall be held as soon as possible in the circumstances prevailing.

I agree that if it’s late in the week or during a recess (when lots of ministers will be travelling) it might take a few days to arrange the vote.
    The plotters aren't as well co-ordinated as they were in 2003.

Sean_F said:

She's doomed.

That will be one hell of a series of hung parliaments!
    Like May, Merkel almost threw away her first election campaign, which she was expected to win easily. But, she did sufficiently well that no government could be formed without her. Like Merkel, she's fairly competent at administration, totally uncharismatic, and with few firm beliefs.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,056
    ydoethur said:

FPT

rcs1000 said:

As long as they don't get a heavy sentence...
    ydoethur said:

FPT

rcs1000 said:

Its not as if they didnt have enough on their plate without this

Sandpit said:

The plotters aren't as well co-ordinated as they were in 2003.
    Indeed. One of the dangers is that she’s upsetting both the Peter Bones and Anna Soubrys, for opposite reasons - the target number of letters could end up being received by accident rather than by design.
  • ElliotElliot Posts: 1,516
    Sean_F said:

She's doomed.

The Tories need to keep May until Brexit deal is done, then get her to step down and put a non-Boris, non-Mogg leader from the next generation in.

There are two dangers for them. The first is panicking early and getting rid of May too soon. The second is getting complacent when they retake a decent lead after the deal and keeping her on.
  • Yer what?

Clement Attlee should be a lot higher up that list.

Not sure why Emmeline Pankhurst is so high on that list.

Mind you, any girl who wants to chain herself to *my* railings and suffer a jet movement gets *my* vote!
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

FPT

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

FPT

rcs1000 said:

Its not as if they didnt have enough on their plate without this
    Put those two together and they would be really fed up.
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

FPT

rcs1000 said:

Stone them.

Twenty stone them.
  • Yer what?

Mind you, any girl who wants to chain herself to *my* railings and suffer a jet movement gets *my* vote!
    Great shout.

The NHS is also ridiculously high on the "proud to be British" list, whereas in truth the Magna Carta and Bill of Rights are far more important, IMHO.

I put it down to a bad education.
    Spacex launch now pushed to 20:45GMT. I think they’re gonna scrub.
    http://www.spacex.com/webcast
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,766
    Sean_F said:

She's doomed.

Jesus, you think Merkel has another 10 years in her.
    5% dont respect any of them

FFS which Northern Working Mens Club was this carried out in
    edited February 2018

Yer what?

Great shout.

The NHS is also ridiculously high on the "proud to be British" list, whereas in truth the Magna Carta and Bill of Rights are far more important, IMHO.

I put it down to a bad education.
    They clearly didn’t ask anyone who has ever lived abroad, in any of these surveys that say people are proud of the NHS.
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Sandpit said:

Just as well: putting a used sports car into solar orbit is such an epic piece of trolling that the whole planet is toast when the first extraterrestrial notices it.

5% dont respect any of them

FFS which Northern Working Mens Club was this carried out in
    One hired by Donald Trump and Harvey Weinstein, on a night out with the lads?
    I am always very uneasy about this modern fad for pardoning everybody who died years ago with a criminal record just because we don't approve of the laws they happened to be breaking. It seems to me to resemble the Mormon trait of ancestral baptism and to be about as meaningful.

I have some sympathy with pardoning those still alive convicted under laws now repealed that left them with a criminal record, but I have to say I think it could be achieved differently.

Also - serious question to the lawyers - under British law does accepting a pardon imply guilt, as in the US, or is it seen as an extension of the Royal Prerogative on justice?
    Ishmael_Z said:

Sandpit said:

Just as well: putting a used sports car into solar orbit is such an epic piece of trolling that the whole planet is toast when the first extraterrestrial notices it.
    Martian orbit I think. Looks like they’re gonna go for it.
    https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/960949244982018049
  • Why is this a trigger warning? Is there anyone who will be seriously upset by this?
  • Why is this a trigger warning? Is there anyone who will be seriously upset by this?
    I suspect the devotees of Clem and his representative on earth might be miffed at the loathed Thatcher polling significantly higher.....
  • ydoethur said:

I am always very uneasy about this modern fad for pardoning everybody who died years ago with a criminal record just because we don't approve of the laws they happened to be breaking. [snip]

In the case of the Suffragettes, some of the convictions were very much for offences which would still apply today - arson and bombings, for example. They'd be prosecuted under anti-terrorism laws nowadays.
    Surprised, yes, but upset - really?

Why is the Queen listed as a political figure?
  • Looking at that YouGov poll the top 5 includes 2 terrorists, a war criminal, and the country's biggest benefits sponger.

I thought the British public had high standards, appears not.
    edited February 2018

ydoethur said:

I am always very uneasy about this modern fad for pardoning everybody who died years ago with a criminal record just because we don't approve of the laws they happened to be breaking. [snip]

In the case of the Suffragettes, some of the convictions were very much for offences which would still apply today - arson and bombings, for example. They'd be prosecuted under anti-terrorism laws nowadays.
    Desertion, mutiny and murder are all still criminal offences today. That didn't stop the then government pardoning several hundred people executed in the First World War (most of whom on the first offence had been convicted and reprieved at least once already).

Why is this a trigger warning? Is there anyone who will be seriously upset by this?
    The LibDems. They were probably the 5% who voted "None of these", because of the lack of Saint Vince on that list.

Looking at that YouGov poll the top 5 includes 2 terrorists, a war criminal, and the country's biggest benefits sponger.

Does Martin Luther King pass your test?
  • ydoethur said:

Looking at that YouGov poll the top 5 includes 2 terrorists, a war criminal, and the country's biggest benefits sponger.

Does Martin Luther King pass your test?
    Yup, he was Mr Non Violence
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

Why is this a trigger warning? Is there anyone who will be seriously upset by this?

She may not express her opinions, but she's part of the political framework of the UK.
  • The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    edited February 2018

The LibDems. They were probably the 5% who voted "None of these", because of the lack of Saint Vince on that list.
    The LDs on here don’t seem very keen on him (Foxy IIRC has never really been a fan, at least recently anyway). I have to say I’m finding the Lib Dems to be pretty underwhelming under Vince.
  • RobD said:

She may not express her opinions, but she's part of the political framework of the UK.
    Yeah, but stretching it a bit isn't it? Why not then, say, Mother Theresa, John Lennon, Stanley Matthews?
  • Elliot said:
    Thatcher 22% v Attlee 6%

Listen to the noisy left and you wouldn't imagine that.

Who's the war criminal?
    edited February 2018
    Sean_F said:

Who's the war criminal?
    Churchill, I presume.

Edit to add, he said the following "I am strongly in favour of using poisoned gas against the uncivilized tribes… it would spread a lively terror."

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Desertion, mutiny and murder are all still criminal offences today. That didn't stop the then government pardoning several hundred people executed in the First World War (most of whom on the first offence had been convicted and reprieved at least once already).
    And that shows how silly it was.

• Sean_F said:

Who's the war criminal?
    Sir Winston Churchill.

Dresden alone was a war crime.

Sean_F said:

Who's the war criminal?
    Sir Winston Churchill.

According to David Irving.
  • calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    Very little MSM coverage of David Clews being raided - left to the Sun to report it

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/2191142/pro-union-activist-cops-donor-list-leak-david-clews/
  • Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Who's the war criminal?
    Sir Winston Churchill.

According to David Irving.
    And others.

Churchill used chemical weapons as well.

• tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164

Elliot said:
    Thatcher 22% v Attlee 6%

Is that because many on the Left don't know who Attlee is?
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080
    HYUFD said:

What did for IDS was third place in the Brent East by election in late 2003, much as the Tory loss in Eastbourne contributed to Thatcher's downfall in 1990.

At the moment with the Tory voteshare holding up, no alternative leader polling better than May and the local elections in May likely to be OK for the Tories nationally (helped by the collapse of UKIP) short of a by election disaster May will hold on until Brexit is done

Some high profile losses in the capital and the media narrative won't be so good...
    edited February 2018
    Sean_F said:

Who's the war criminal?
    No Tony Blair on that list.

How soon we forget.
  • Empire 2.0

Below are a number of events and episodes in British history. Which, if any, make you especially proud to be British?
    Having the world’s largest empire in the 19th century
    Remain: 7
    Leave: 16

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/iopahgu564/InternalResults_180205_Feminism_Suffragettes_w.pdf
  • Sean_F said:

Who's the war criminal?
    Sir Winston Churchill.

According to Goebbels......

Major railway junction 60 miles from the Eastern Front of no military value....no siree!

Empire 2.0

Below are a number of events and episodes in British history. Which, if any, make you especially proud to be British?
    Having the world’s largest empire in the 19th century
    Remain: 7
    Leave: 16

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/iopahgu564/InternalResults_180205_Feminism_Suffragettes_w.pdf

A little counter intuitive, if not unexpected.
  • tlg86 said:

Elliot said:
    Thatcher 22% v Attlee 6%

Nah. It is Chris Williamson telling the Corbynistas that Corbyn is better than Attlee.
  • IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Some high profile losses in the capital and the media narrative won't be so good...
    London losses and the media narrative won't be good. Sums up the London elite attitude to the rest of the country
  • stevefstevef Posts: 1,044
    The "plotters" will have a very long wait if they are waiting for Labour to pull ahead to the extent-shall we say-that Ed Miliband was ahead in 2012, or Neil Kinnock was ahead in 1990.

We are living through a period when on past experience, the Opposition should be well ahead of the government. Its the most depressing time of the year, there is an NHS crisis, the prime minister lacks authority, her party is divided and publicly squabbling, the media is dominated by Remain propaganda, and yet astonishingly, this week the Tories are either level-pegging or ahead of Labour.

I think Theresa May is pretty much guaranteed the keys of Number Ten until 2020. Even if there were a leaderhip contest, I think she would win it -and frankly if I were her having done so, the first thing I would do would be to sack both Johnson and Gove. I am sure there is a pantomime horse somewhere they could fill in the Summer season.
  • tlg86 said:

Elliot said:
    Thatcher 22% v Attlee 6%

Some fascinating age skews.

Nelson Mandela rated strongly (high 30s) across the board:

Thatcher:
    18-24: 5
    65+: 40

Sean_F said:

Who's the war criminal?
    Sir Winston Churchill.

Major railway junction 60 miles from the Eastern Front of no military value....no siree!
    Churchill was responsible for chemical weapons being used in Russia at the end of WW1. (And they were, at the time, banned by international treaty.)

I don't think there was anything he did in WW2 that was a war crime.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603

Sean_F said:

Who's the war criminal?
    Sir Winston Churchill.

It's called war for a reason.
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,688
    LibDem politics must be a nightmare.

They're the only party that can point to unequivocal success in government. And yet, they don't bother.

What they actually do is tart themselves up and promise some sort of favours to another party that has decided to line up behind the stupidest man in Christendom.

Apart from those slight oddities.. They really should be the natural recipients of my vote, and yet they've never even been close to consideration.
  • The plotters have non-polling reasons to act.

If there's a vote of confidence, what's the minimum number of MPs for Theresa May to be able to continue in practice? 200?
    rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Who's the war criminal?
    Churchill, I presume.

Edit to add, he said the following "I am strongly in favour of using poisoned gas against the uncivilized tribes… it would spread a lively terror."

I am too tired to source this, but if you look at the context it is clear he was talking about tear gas. Indeed, that is implicit in your quotation, since a lethal gas would by definition kill people, so it would be odd to single out its secondary effect of spreading terror for special mention.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,056
    rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Who's the war criminal?
    Sir Winston Churchill.

Churchill was responsible for chemical weapons being used in Russia at the end of WW1. (And they were, at the time, banned by international treaty.)

And on the bombing of Kurdish tribes in Mesopotamia in the early Twenties.

I have been inspired by recent films to read "Citizen Clem" the recent Attlee biography. I don't think he himself would be bothered by his place in that list. He seemed genuinely unassuming, and would be happy that his policies rather than personality were valued by posterity. It is a great book on prewar Britain btw.
  • The plotters have non-polling reasons to act.

If there's a vote of confidence, what's the minimum number of MPs for Theresa May to be able to continue in practice? 200?

She has to beat John Major's figure in 1995.
  • Billy bunters who collected on England during the ODIs will need little encouragement to keep backing the away side in the upcoming T20s. These bunfights are even more of a lottery but to the extent that form and ability count there is no reason to think Australia have the edge. Anything better than evens would appear to me charitable but Betfair are offering a juicy 2.32 against the Prisoners Of Mother England (11/8 in old money). Irresistible.

Match starts 8.40 tomorrow morning.

The plotters have non-polling reasons to act.

My understanding is that according to the new rules introduced in 1998, if the leader wins a simple majority he/she would continue in office. There are 317 Tory MPs, therefore May would require the votes of about 159 Tory MPs. I suspect she would get a lot more. I think she is quite safe whatever happens between now and 2019/20.
  • Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,225
    edited February 2018
    Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Who's the war criminal?
    Sir Winston Churchill.

And on the bombing of Kurdish tribes in Mesopotamia in the early Twenties.

I have been inspired by recent films to read "Citizen Clem" the recent Attlee biography. I don't think he himself would be bothered by his place in that list. He seemed genuinely unassuming, and would be happy that his policies rather than personality were valued by posterity. It is a great book on prewar Britain btw.
    Sounds fascinating.

You remind me of Churchill's remark that Atlee was a modest man with much to be modest about. I suspect Clem would have been happy with that!
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

London losses and the media narrative won't be good. Sums up the London elite attitude to the rest of the country
    Cecil Parkinson extracted enough political capital from Tory gains in Wandsworth and Westminster, all those years ago, against a set of national local election results that were decidedly mediocre. What goes around comes around.
    Who are the two terrorists? I presume you're now swallowing apartheid propaganda about Mandela. He never targeted civilians.
    The Atlantic slave trade and the rape of the Congo both happened before women got the vote. Universal healthcare, the internet and space exploration all happened afterwards.
    I do hope we don't read in the papers about a successful novelist being divorced by his wife for incorrigible chauvinism...
    ydoethur said:

I do hope we don't read in the papers about a successful novelist being divorced by his wife for incorrigible chauvinism...
    But she must have a serious sense of humour to have got this far....
  • Elliot said:

Who are the two terrorists? I presume you're now swallowing apartheid propaganda about Mandela. He never targeted civilians.

The Youth Wing of the Tory Party in the 80s used to wear 'Hang Nelson Mandela' badges because of the terrorism of the ANC.
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,008
    edited February 2018
    stevef said:

My understanding is that according to the new rules introduced in 1998, if the leader wins a simple majority he/she would continue in office. There are 317 Tory MPs, therefore May would require the votes of about 159 Tory MPs. I suspect she would get a lot more. I think she is quite safe whatever happens between now and 2019/20.
    I'd say she needs 2/3rds of Tory MPs, about 214 MPs+, or to keep those that vote against her in double digits, so 220+ would be far safer.

If she gets less than 200 MPs, even if it's a majority, she's toast.
  • I'm getting a bit fed up of the one-sided lauding of the Suffragettes.

Many historians believe the militant wing of the WSPU actually set back the cause of women's suffrage, because their uncompromising extra judicial action put people off. Woman had the vote in local Government from 1897 onwards, and there were Bills in the HoC for votes for women from about 1905 onwards. Many Liberal MPs subsequently turned against women's suffrage because they were put off by the hardline campaign and even some of them thought that campaign vindicated arguments of their opponents.

It was the quiet moderate majority that won woman the vote, and the very hard work so many millions of women did during WW1 to prove their point, not the publicity seeking Suffragettes.
    Elliot said:

He also never said anything against Winnie's necklacing campaign, which very much targeted civilians. It takes about 20 minutes on average for a necklacing victim to die.
  • Since we seem to be drifting into Churchill territory, what's the general consensus here on the Darkest Hour film?

Went to see it a week ago and liked it, but had some reservations.

stevef said:

I'd say she needs 2/3rds of Tory MPs, about 214 MPs+, or to keep those that vote against her in double digits, so 220+ would be far safer.

The rules require her only to have a simple majority in a confidence vote which is around 159 votes. True, it would be very embarrassing if she only received that bare majority or close to it. But if she were determined to go on, then she would be entitled to do so. After all, she carried on after the embarrassment of the lost majority in 2017, and after the disastrous conference speech.........

I'm getting a bit fed up of the one-sided lauding of the Suffragettes.

Many historians believe the militant wing of the WSPU actually set back the cause of women's suffrage, because their uncompromising extra judicial action put people off. Woman had the vote in local Government from 1897 onwards, and there were Bills in the HoC for votes for women from about 1905 onwards. Many Liberal MPs subsequently turned against women's suffrage because they were put off by the hardline campaign and even some of them thought that campaign vindicated arguments of their opponents.

It was the quiet moderate majority that won woman the vote, and the very hard work so many millions of women did during WW1 to prove their point, not the publicity seeking Suffragettes.

My mum's not impressed. Her grandmother didn't get the vote until 1928.
  • The late Ian Mikardo MP once advised me never to bet on a two horse race, but I wonder, who is going to go first, TMay or JZuma? Is anyone giving odds?
  • stevef said:

stevef said:

The rules require her only to have a simple majority in a confidence vote which is around 159 votes. True, it would be very embarrassing if she only received that bare majority or close to it. But if she were determined to go on, then she would be entitled to do so. After all, she carried on after the embarrassment of the lost majority in 2017, and after the disastrous conference speech.........
    And I think the wider public will be very annoyed with the party indulging in fighting and overthrowing May at this time
  • RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

The late Ian Mikardo MP once advised me never to bet on a two horse race, but I wonder, who is going to go first, TMay or JZuma? Is anyone giving odds?

Ian Mikardo told me never to drop names.
    It's interesting how few people describe themselves as feminists. Almost everybody would agree with votes for women, womens' rights to own property, equal pay etc., but many people find feminism off-putting.
  • tlg86 said:

I'm getting a bit fed up of the one-sided lauding of the Suffragettes.

My mum's not impressed. Her grandmother didn't get the vote until 1928.
    There's actually a rather good reason for that - because of the carnage of WW1, if there had been universal adult suffrage the electoral roll would have been people who had never voted before. Not saying it's a justification, but it was a concern at the time.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    edited February 2018
    He's the next Katie Hopkins. Suspect Boris will make him women's minister. What an arsehole.
  • T -30 mins....
  • Sean_F said:

It's interesting how few people describe themselves as feminists. Almost everybody would agree with votes for women, womens' rights to own property, equal pay etc., but many people find feminism off-putting.

I heard someone call herself a feminine feminism today
  • The late Ian Mikardo MP once advised me never to bet on a two horse race, but I wonder, who is going to go first, TMay or JZuma? Is anyone giving odds?

Ian Mikardo told me never to drop names.
    I mentioned him solely because he was an MP who ran a lucrative side-line in betting on politics, and was thus an authority on the subject.
This discussion has been closed.