Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A third pollster now reports that TMay’s Tories are in the lea

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited February 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A third pollster now reports that TMay’s Tories are in the lead

Wikpedia

Read the full story here

Comments

• RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    First, like the Tories!
  • The only pollster that got the election right has Labour ahead.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,052

The only pollster that got the election right has Labour ahead.

There's only one way to settle it...Fight!
    BTW Mike, typo in the header. Jube = June. Unless there's a new month that I am unaware of.
  • Is there anything decent and worthwhile to have ever come out of Oxford?

Oxfam faces fresh claims that staff used prostitutes in Chad

New scandal emerges as charity battles revelations that employees in Haiti paid for sex

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/feb/10/oxfam-faces-allegations-staff-paid-prostitutes-in-chad?CMP=share_btn_tw
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,230

Is there anything decent and worthwhile to have ever come out of Oxford?

The equals sign.

• SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,392
    Voters eh? They haven't got a bloody clue.
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited February 2018

Have the other pollsters changed their methodology since the election?
    edited February 2018
    AndyJS said:

I don't know. I haven't kept track with methodology changes since the 2017 election. If anybody has info I'd be happy to hear it.
  • AndyJS said:

I believe most of them have tweaked their methodologies to some extent.
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Average of the 11 polls so far this year:

Lab 40.9%
    Con 40.8%
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,262
    I think it is very likely Theresa May will lead the Tories into the next election. The time to dump her was last June.
  • It's all about Brexit. Watch the fun when business declares an end to patience in a few weeks and shenanigans start to happen.

I think it is very likely Theresa May will lead the Tories into the next election. The time to dump her was last June.

No, that time is after the Brexit deal is concluded.
  • RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223

New scandal emerges as charity battles revelations that employees in Haiti paid for sex

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/feb/10/oxfam-faces-allegations-staff-paid-prostitutes-in-chad?CMP=share_btn_tw

There’s a charming little plaque in the old library of the University Church in Oxford, commemorating the first committee meeting of Oxford Famine Relief.

They’ve certainly come a long way from their roots.
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,979
    AndyJS said:

Lab 40.9%
    Con 40.8%

Exponential Moving Average

Lab 41.0%
    Con 40.6%
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    Curious, seemingly without good cause, but as previously noted Labour will no longer care about polls - either not believing them, or even if they do unable to act because of them given what happened last time.

There does seem a danger that they will not have stones to push her out if, post agreement (assuming it was not disastrous) she does not go willingly because polls seem 'ok'. But I think the chances of a challenge remain high enough that I find it hard to think it likely she will lead them into the next election.

Voters eh? They haven't got a bloody clue.

Did we ever?
  • oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    RoyalBlue said:

There’s a charming little plaque in the old library of the University Church in Oxford, commemorating the first committee meeting of Oxford Famine Relief.

They’ve certainly come a long way from their roots.
    And it is certainly time that they return to their roots and focus on what is really important and why people actually give to them. Famine Relief.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited February 2018

Sounds like going to work for Oxfam is more akin to what you would expect from an 18-30 holiday....
  • MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,921
    AndyJS said:

Lab 40.9%
    Con 40.8%

I predict crossover will happen the next time @RobD gets on a flight....
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,841
    Wonder if this boost is linked to the impending council tax rises. People realise they'd get taxed more under Labour
    edited February 2018

"Roland van Hauwermeiren, who has since been embroiled in a sexual misconduct scandal in Haiti, was head of Oxfam in Chad at the time. Van Hauwermeiren resigned from Oxfam in 2011, after admitting that prostitutes had visited his villa in Haiti."

The reports are that when he got the heave-ho from Oxfam he got another job in the charity sector...

went on to become head of mission for Action Against Hunger who told MailOnline it had 'no idea' about his background. The French charity made pre-employment checks but Oxfam did not provide any warning about his 'unethical conduct'.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5375157/Oxfam-covered-sacked-workers-past-new-employer.html
    RobD said:

BTW Mike, typo in the header. Jube = June. Unless there's a new month that I am unaware of.

Well. June is named after an Italian Goddess, so post Brexit we need proper British names for all the months anyway, presumably. Days of the week too, come to think of it, it will be hell.

Sounds like going to work for Oxfam is more akin to what you would expect from an 18-30 holiday....
    The serious allegation tonight by the Haitian Ambassador is that paedophiles were involved and Haiti is demanding all Oxfams records
    Pulpstar said:

Wonder if this boost is linked to the impending council tax rises. People realise they'd get taxed more under Labour

I'd have thought at a local level most people are facing similar rises whether they are run by Tories or Labour, given the state of local government financing? So it'd be an odd thing to get people pondering who'd tax them more nationally.
  • Russia up to no good again,

Three-part programme blames 'cruelties of global capitalism'

Berlin-based documentary makers Redfish are funded by Kremlin-owned RT

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5376117/Failed-State-Grenfell-documentary-funded-RT.html
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

Well. June is named after an Italian Goddess, so post Brexit we need proper British names for all the months anyway, presumably. Days of the week too, come to think of it, it will be hell.
    Already done
    Afteryule (January)
    Solmath (February)
    Rethe (March)
    Astron (April)
    Thrimidge (May)
    Forelithe (June)
    Afterlithe (July)
    Wedmath (August)
    Halimath (September)
    Winterfilth (October)
    Blotmath (November)
    Foreyule (December)

The serious allegation tonight by the Haitian Ambassador is that paedophiles were involved and Haiti is demanding all Oxfams records
    The not telling other agencies when those involved got jobs elsewhere seems a massive issue. It is one thing to have a wrong'un that you have to get rid of, but to then not take serious steps to ensure that others in the same sector are aware of their background is unforgivable.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,955
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

We can keep May. To honour her role in Brexit.....

It will come between Nelson and Churchill.
    Barnesian said:

AndyJS said:

Lab 40.9%
    Con 40.8%

Lab 41.0%
    Con 40.6%
    Engineer's average: approximately 40% each.

Barnesian said:

AndyJS said:

Lab 40.9%
    Con 40.8%

Lab 41.0%
    Con 40.6%
    Engineer's average: approximately 40% each.
    Astronomer's order of magnitude estimate, ~100% each.
    edited February 2018
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

Gisellauary
    Fielduary
    Moggmarch
    Andreapril
    May
    BoJeaune
    Jenkinsy
    Annemariegust
    Skinnertember
    Owentober
    Govember
    Daviscember
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

We can also have a dozen days in a week, just like inches in a foot and pennies in a shilling.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,786
    edited February 2018
    Mortimer said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

Gisellauary
    Fielduary
    Moggmarch
    Angelapril
    May
    BoJeaune
    Jenkinsy
    Annemariegust
    Skinnertember
    Owentober
    Govember
    Daviscember
    Hmmm. Are you telling us that when thinking of a list of Brexiteers, the name Anne Marie Waters came into your head, or was it Morris of whip removal fame?
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

I reckon we should use the French Revolutionary Calendar . Happy Primidi décade 15 of Pluviôse, Citoyen! To the barricades!

Mortimer said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

Gisellauary
    Fielduary
    Moggmarch
    Angelapril
    May
    BoJeaune
    Jenkinsy
    Annemariegust
    Skinnertember
    Owentober
    Govember
    Daviscember
    Hmmm. Are you telling us that when thinking of a list of Brexiteers, the name Anne Marie Waters came into your head, or was it Morris of whip removal fame?
    Anne Marie Morris - and yes, I had to look a few up to fill in the gaps...
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,979
    Pulpstar said:

It might be linked to the canvassing and leafleting that is going on for the local elections where LibDems will be visible in many wards for the first time since the 2017 GE. This will be persuading some Labour voters to vote tactically for the LibDems and declare a LibDem vote in surveys. On the other hand LibDems in Labour marginals will have been indicating Labour for some time as Labour has been visible nationally.

It's only a small effect
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164
    Interesting to hear defenders of Oxfam using the "let's not hurt the charitable work" defence. Funny how that didn't wash with GOSH and The President's Club.
  • kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

I'd have thought at a local level most people are facing similar rises whether they are run by Tories or Labour, given the state of local government financing? So it'd be an odd thing to get people pondering who'd tax them more nationally.
    Unfortunately for that argument it's a Tory council that first went bust after Tory government cuts
    Barnesian said:

Pulpstar said:

It might be linked to the canvassing and leafleting that is going on for the local elections where LibDems will be visible in many wards for the first time since the 2017 GE. This will be persuading some Labour voters to vote tactically for the LibDems and declare a LibDem vote in surveys. On the other hand LibDems in Labour marginals will have been indicating Labour for some time as Labour has been visible nationally.

It's only a small effect
    Paging Justin - someone is after your short straws...
    Ishmael_Z said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

Already done
    Afteryule (January)
    Solmath (February)
    Rethe (March)
    Astron (April)
    Thrimidge (May)
    Forelithe (June)
    Afterlithe (July)
    Wedmath (August)
    Halimath (September)
    Winterfilth (October)
    Blotmath (November)
    Foreyule (December)
    Look, I'm no fan of October either, but Winterfilth? That's harsh (in name). On Tolkein it would seem, from some googling.
    edited February 2018
    tlg86 said:

Interesting to hear defenders of Oxfam using the "let's not hurt the charitable work" defence. Funny how that didn't wash with GOSH and The President's Club.

I believe it is called the Kids Company defence....
  • Ishmael_Z said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

Already done
    Afteryule (January)
    Solmath (February)
    Rethe (March)
    Astron (April)
    Thrimidge (May)
    Forelithe (June)
    Afterlithe (July)
    Wedmath (August)
    Halimath (September)
    Winterfilth (October)
    Blotmath (November)
    Foreyule (December)
    Suspiciously Germanic.

kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

Unfortunately for that argument it's a Tory council that first went bust after Tory government cuts
    Another reason it would be an odd motivator as a move toward the Tories.
  • Ishmael_Z said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

Already done
    Afteryule (January)
    Solmath (February)
    Rethe (March)
    Astron (April)
    Thrimidge (May)
    Forelithe (June)
    Afterlithe (July)
    Wedmath (August)
    Halimath (September)
    Winterfilth (October)
    Blotmath (November)
    Foreyule (December)
    Suspiciously Germanic.
    Also, while Leavers see themselves as hobbits, Remainers see Leavers as orcs.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,001
    edited February 2018
    Eurotunnel to request a meeting to discuss Boris's idea of a second channel crossing and Barnier has caused fury and anger over his comments to the UK with EU countries who are siding with the UK
    Wow, that must be a relief for No 10. No front page splash about the Tories in the STimes.

New plan for government - keep the cabinet busy at an away year, let the rest of us get some peace.

I'm sure Charles, Robert and David would be happy to be enobled and stand in for the entire cabinet....
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Ishmael_Z said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

Already done
    Afteryule (January)
    Solmath (February)
    Rethe (March)
    Astron (April)
    Thrimidge (May)
    Forelithe (June)
    Afterlithe (July)
    Wedmath (August)
    Halimath (September)
    Winterfilth (October)
    Blotmath (November)
    Foreyule (December)
    Suspiciously Germanic.
    The only really good one is winterfilth, but it should mean February.
  • No bad / plots against the PM front pages so far.
    Hahahahahaha.

No cherry picking they said.

Strong and United they said.

What, we have a 10bn hole in the budget?

Ishmael_Z said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

Already done
    Afteryule (January)
    Solmath (February)
    Rethe (March)
    Astron (April)
    Thrimidge (May)
    Forelithe (June)
    Afterlithe (July)
    Wedmath (August)
    Halimath (September)
    Winterfilth (October)
    Blotmath (November)
    Foreyule (December)
    Suspiciously Germanic.
    Personally I've long regretted the absence of good old British people names like Prasutagus. Even pretty decent Anglo-Saxon names like Wulfric or Aethelwulf don't get much of a look in outside the Rees-Mogg clan.
  • Can we give a knighthood to today's TMO.

A truly great decision and he showed he wasn't going to be swayed by lots of angry Welshmen.
  • Can we give a knighthood to today's TMO.

A truly great decision and he showed he wasn't going to be swayed by lots of angry Welshmen.

Decision was 50 50

Can we give a knighthood to today's TMO.

I don't like to argue with the ref, but it was clearly a Welsh hand that touched the ball first
    edited February 2018
    viewcode said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

I reckon we should use the French Revolutionary Calendar . Happy Primidi décade 15 of Pluviôse, Citoyen! To the barricades!
    Strewth, what a mess. Takes a certain sort to be so committed to a revolutionary ideal even the calendar names are no longer suitable. Even revolutions need pragmatists to keep things going, and recognise that some fights just aren't worth the hassle.
  • ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312

Decision was 50 50
    It was actually 100:0
    Mortimer said:

I don't like to argue with the ref, but it was clearly a Welsh hand that touched the ball first
    touchdowns don't count in rugby.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,742
    edited February 2018
    Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

Already done
    Afteryule (January)
    Solmath (February)
    Rethe (March)
    Astron (April)
    Thrimidge (May)
    Forelithe (June)
    Afterlithe (July)
    Wedmath (August)
    Halimath (September)
    Winterfilth (October)
    Blotmath (November)
    Foreyule (December)
    Suspiciously Germanic.
    I'd assumed Welsh would be closest to providing a true Brit calendar, but checking their months they sound uncomfortably like Gaelic's approach to absorbing the modern world e.g. telebhisean and the like.
  • stevefstevef Posts: 1,044
    Brexit is one of those very rare things I agree largely with Corbyn about. He is of course a Leaver, but what is there for him to say? A majority of voters voted to leave. Should he say, no they can't. Its none of their business whether the UK is an independent country.

Remoaners in his own party of course want him to say to voters "Yes you can leave, as only as its only in name and the we stay under EU control".

Corbyn supporters really need to come to terms with the fact that Brexit was the price that they paid for Corbyn. If there had been another Labour leader like Burnham who campaigned enthusiastically for Remain, there would have been no Brexit. As a moderate Labour supporter, I may moan about Corbyn, but believe me as a Leaver I was toasting him on referendum night.

As for the opinion poll, again it points to Labour heading for a famous defeat in 2022. Because if Corbyn Labour cannot be 15 points ahead against Theresa May at one of the most depressing times of the year with the NHS facing one of its worst crises, Brexit stalling and the Tories at war, how on earth is it going to win when they have a new leader, Brexit is done and dusted, and the Tories launch an election campaign having learned all the lessons of 2017?
    edited February 2018

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

Already done
    Afteryule (January)
    Solmath (February)
    Rethe (March)
    Astron (April)
    Thrimidge (May)
    Forelithe (June)
    Afterlithe (July)
    Wedmath (August)
    Halimath (September)
    Winterfilth (October)
    Blotmath (November)
    Foreyule (December)
    Suspiciously Germanic.
    I'd assumed Welsh would be closest to providing a true Brit calendar, but checking their months they sound uncomfortably like Gaelic's approach to absorbing the modern world e.g. telebhisean and the like.
    My favourite is Popty ping
  • RhubarbRhubarb Posts: 359

Eurotunnel to request a meeting to discuss Boris's idea of a second channel crossing

At one point they were obliged (by the original eurotunnel treaties) to explore this idea.
    As always, the responses are often a hoot

lemonstate
    @ZoomyZoomy1111
    1h1 hour ago
    Replying to @OpiniumResearch @hatelefties

The polls were miles out in GE17 and Brexit referendum. They are completely discredited and a good thing too because it creates cowardly policies.

I much prefer Corbyn - a man who is prepared to go around the country and argue his case because he believes in his message.
    6 replies 0 retweets 6 likes
    Opinium Research
    @OpiniumResearch
    1h1 hour ago

But we predicted #brexit
    3 replies 1 retweet 26 likes
    Elizabeth Keeling
    @LizzeyK
    59m59 minutes ago

So did I, but I don’t think that makes me infallible!

• rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,880

Didn’t Cambridge come out of Oxford?
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,705
    Chris Peace the Corbynite has won the Labour nomination for NE Derbyshire

Hopefully the voters give peace a chance.

Ah, I think I know the answer to this one. Is it because Tories don't want to highlight a poll that looks good for May in case they end up still stuck with her at the next GE?
  • welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

Already done
    Afteryule (January)
    Solmath (February)
    Rethe (March)
    Astron (April)
    Thrimidge (May)
    Forelithe (June)
    Afterlithe (July)
    Wedmath (August)
    Halimath (September)
    Winterfilth (October)
    Blotmath (November)
    Foreyule (December)
    Suspiciously Germanic.
    Chwefror is the month we are currently in in Wales. Doesn’t sound “modern”.
  • John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

Ah, I think I know the answer to this one. Is it because Tories don't want to highlight a poll that looks good for May in case they end up still stuck with her at the next GE?
    The Tories have always liked winning. They'd put up with Muffin the Mule if he won them an election. Unless the polls turn disastrously against her, she's going nowhere (sorry Boris).
  • TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Mortimer said:

Hahahahahaha.

Boris talking about a second channel crossing.

EU talking about building hard borders.

Sad.
    kle4 said:

Even revolutions need pragmatists to keep things going, and recognise that some fights just aren't worth the hassle.

The problem with revolutions is that the pragmatists get killed off in the first round. Then there's a spiral of doubling-down until the chief nutter ascends to the top, Robespierre being the obvious example.

Mortimer said:

Hahahahahaha.

There are 28 EU countries. I wonder which one would have a diplomat likely to say something like that?
    welshowl said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

Already done
    Afteryule (January)
    Solmath (February)
    Rethe (March)
    Astron (April)
    Thrimidge (May)
    Forelithe (June)
    Afterlithe (July)
    Wedmath (August)
    Halimath (September)
    Winterfilth (October)
    Blotmath (November)
    Foreyule (December)
    Suspiciously Germanic.
    I'm not sure most of us would know how it sounds

Mortimer said:

Hahahahahaha.

There are 28 EU countries. I wonder which one would have a diplomat likely to say something like that?
    If you are an EU country with trade surplus with the Uk you have to be fuming about all this tariff and hard border bluster from Barnier.

Nobody on the Uk side wants tariffs or hard borders.
    TGOHF said:

Mortimer said:

Hahahahahaha.

Sad.
    Get Boris to genuinely build a crosschannel bridge (or, even better, this one) and I'll agree with you. Given Boris's past history, simply speaking about it is not sufficient.
    edited February 2018

welshowl said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

Already done
    Afteryule (January)
    Solmath (February)
    Rethe (March)
    Astron (April)
    Thrimidge (May)
    Forelithe (June)
    Afterlithe (July)
    Wedmath (August)
    Halimath (September)
    Winterfilth (October)
    Blotmath (November)
    Foreyule (December)
    Suspiciously Germanic.
    Exactly how it’s written given Welsh letter values. Ch as in loch, w as in a cross between w and oo, e as in eh, f as in v in English ror as in English.

Welsh, for all its weird looking, is pretty much phonetic once you accept certain letters have different values to English (like C is always a k, y in the first syllable is an uh, m is m, r is r, and u is an ee hence Cymru - Kumree - “Wales”). Easy peasy.
    viewcode said:

kle4 said:

Even revolutions need pragmatists to keep things going, and recognise that some fights just aren't worth the hassle.

The problem with revolutions is that the pragmatists get killed off in the first round. Then there's a spiral of doubling-down until the chief nutter ascends to the top, Robespierre being the obvious example.

And we all know the next stage in the cycle for the likes of him!
    TGOHF said:

Mortimer said:

Hahahahahaha.

If you are an EU country with trade surplus with the Uk you have to be fuming about all this tariff and hard border bluster from Barnier.

The old German Car maker gambit? Is that still going?

welshowl said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

Already done
    Afteryule (January)
    Solmath (February)
    Rethe (March)
    Astron (April)
    Thrimidge (May)
    Forelithe (June)
    Afterlithe (July)
    Wedmath (August)
    Halimath (September)
    Winterfilth (October)
    Blotmath (November)
    Foreyule (December)
    Suspiciously Germanic.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pr3sBks5o_8
    viewcode said:

TGOHF said:

Mortimer said:

Hahahahahaha.

Sad.
    Get Boris to genuinely build a crosschannel bridge (or, even better, this one) and I'll agree with you. Given Boris's past history, simply speaking about it is not sufficient.
    Is the current link anywhere near capacity?
  • John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    viewcode said:

TGOHF said:

Mortimer said:

Hahahahahaha.

Sad.
    My test of extreme charlatanry in public figures is whether they advocate the building of the [Very Big Thing] c.f. The Millennium Dome. Boris has previous. He just wants something huge named after him, whether that's Island, Bridge or Spaceport (give him time!).
    Foxy said:

TGOHF said:

Mortimer said:

Hahahahahaha.

Shrugs,

Telegraph :

“French figures had expressed particular anger at the “lack of consultation” on a draft document published by Mr Barnier on Wednesday which included a so-called punishment clause that would allow Brussels to ground aircraft and block trade if the UK failed to obey EU rules during the transition period.”
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,001
    edited February 2018
    viewcode said:

TGOHF said:

Mortimer said:

Hahahahahaha.

Sad.
    Seems Eurotunnel are serious in wanting a second crossing but I would imagine a tunnel would be more practical than a bridge.

We will need it in the future as all these EU countries decide to open their HQ in the UK to benefit from our new dynamic economy outside the EU
    TGOHF said:

Foxy said:

TGOHF said:

Mortimer said:

Hahahahahaha.

Shrugs,

Telegraph :

“French figures had expressed particular anger at the “lack of consultation” on a draft document published by Mr Barnier on Wednesday which included a so-called punishment clause that would allow Brussels to ground aircraft and block trade if the UK failed to obey EU rules during the transition period.”
    You've inexplicably left off the first part of that sentence which says, "A Whitehall source said that..."

Chris Peace the Corbynite has won the Labour nomination for NE Derbyshire

Hopefully the voters give peace a chance.

A little peace - of Poland.
    A little peace - of France.....
  • welshowl said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

Already done
    Afteryule (January)
    Solmath (February)
    Rethe (March)
    Astron (April)
    Thrimidge (May)
    Forelithe (June)
    Afterlithe (July)
    Wedmath (August)
    Halimath (September)
    Winterfilth (October)
    Blotmath (November)
    Foreyule (December)
    Suspiciously Germanic.
    Closer to February than Solmath.

I'd guess most folk could identify Ionawr, Mawrth, Ebrill, Mai and Awst which I assume are adaptions of new fangled Roman months.

Though yeah, the rest are trickier.

Foxy said:

viewcode said:

TGOHF said:

Mortimer said:

Hahahahahaha.

Sad.
    Is the current link anywhere near capacity?
    Don't know. And, if I was honest, I don't care. There are numerous projects that I'd like to see (I'd love to see the Scotland-NI bridge, the Severn Barrage, adequate funding of the armed forces) and [one of] the reasons I deprecate Brexit is that it distracts us from these tasks.
  • TGOHF said:

Foxy said:

TGOHF said:

Mortimer said:

Hahahahahaha.

Shrugs,

Telegraph :

You've inexplicably left off the first part of that sentence which says, "A Whitehall source said that..."
    It must be a given that some EU countries view Barnier's bluster with alarm as they want a fair deal as we do.

TGOHF said:

Foxy said:

TGOHF said:

Mortimer said:

Hahahahahaha.

Shrugs,

Telegraph :

The wheels are coming off William -suck it up.
    83,000 plus watching Spurs at Wembley today.

With that revenue, will they ever want to leave?

TGOHF said:

Foxy said:

TGOHF said:

Mortimer said:

Hahahahahaha.

Shrugs,

Telegraph :

It must be a given that some EU countries view Barnier's bluster with alarm as they want a fair deal as we do.
    He works for them. If they were alarmed they wouldn't be relaying it to the Telegraph.
    edited February 2018

TGOHF said:

Foxy said:

TGOHF said:

Mortimer said:

Hahahahahaha.

Shrugs,

Telegraph :

Ah, more fake news? Or is it just that you hope it is? :D
  • TGOHF said:

Foxy said:

TGOHF said:

Mortimer said:

Hahahahahaha.

Shrugs,

Telegraph :

'Telegraph :'
  • TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Foxy said:

TGOHF said:

Mortimer said:

Hahahahahaha.

Shrugs,

Telegraph :

The wheels are coming off William -suck it up.
    An LBC presenter on the paper review a few days ago said she had seen a marked change in attitude to the EU demands with many more saying for us just to get out and even from remain voters.
  • TGOHF said:

Foxy said:

TGOHF said:

Mortimer said:

Hahahahahaha.

Shrugs,

Telegraph :

He works for them. If they were alarmed they wouldn't be relaying it to the Telegraph.
    Of course not - it does not fit your narrative

TGOHF said:

Foxy said:

TGOHF said:

Mortimer said:

Hahahahahaha.

Shrugs,

Telegraph :

But they aren't relaying it to the Telegraph.

welshowl said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

Already done
    Afteryule (January)
    Solmath (February)
    Rethe (March)
    Astron (April)
    Thrimidge (May)
    Forelithe (June)
    Afterlithe (July)
    Wedmath (August)
    Halimath (September)
    Winterfilth (October)
    Blotmath (November)
    Foreyule (December)
    Suspiciously Germanic.
    Closer to February than Solmath.

I'd guess most folk could identify Ionawr, Mawrth, Ebrill, Mai and Awst which I assume are adaptions of new fangled Roman months.

Though yeah, the rest are trickier.

Indeed. Mehefin, Gorffennaf, Medi, Hydref, Tachwedd, Rhagfyr, are hardly recognisable to English speakers as June,July, September, October,November, December.

viewcode said:

TGOHF said:

Mortimer said:

Hahahahahaha.

Sad.
    Seems Eurotunnel are serious in wanting a second crossing but I would imagine a tunnel would be more practical than a bridge.

We will need it in the future as all these EU countries decide to open their HQ in the UK to benefit from our new dynamic economy outside the EU
    From memory, a bridge was considered before the final decision was made on a tunnel, but they pose different challenges. For a bridge the problem is building the (many) legs in such (relatively) deep water. The tunnel was conceptually simple and could be done with known technology.

Incidentally another option was kind of a compromise: a tunnel laid on the seabed. But then you're looking at stability issues.
This discussion has been closed.