Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Putting the Northern Ireland border issue into perspective – t

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited February 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Putting the Northern Ireland border issue into perspective – the cartoonist’s view

Thanks again to Nicholas and Helen.

Read the full story here

Comments

• RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    First.

Made me chuckle... :D
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,765
    Good cartoon. Escher's pictures used to fascinate me.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Hmmm. Things seems to be working now. As Tories used to say, if it ain't broke don't fix it.
  • RobD said:

First.

Made me chuckle... :D

MC Escher?

He's pop star isn't he, did 'U Can't Touch This'

I love a good maths joke, but I prefer physics jokes, particle physics gives me a hadron.
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,911
    FPT
    Roger said:

For the first time in months I'm starting to think that Brexit isn't going to happen. And it's not just because almost everyone with a measurable IQ is against it but because Ireland is finally deeply involved. The Irish don't think in weeks months years or even decades. They think in centuries. And when a significant section of the population dig their heels in they stay dug in.

I hate to be the one who has to say this, but if you think "We can't leave, because it would mean a hard border between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland" is going to be an acceptable reason for cancelling Brexit to the vast majority of the 52% who voted Brexit, I want some of what you're smoking.

People voted for Brexit. "The Irish won't wear it! We're staying!" is basically a recipe for Prime Minister Farage.
  • kyf_100 said:

FPT

Roger said:

For the first time in months I'm starting to think that Brexit isn't going to happen. And it's not just because almost everyone with a measurable IQ is against it but because Ireland is finally deeply involved. The Irish don't think in weeks months years or even decades. They think in centuries. And when a significant section of the population dig their heels in they stay dug in.

I hate to be the one who has to say this, but if you think "We can't leave, because it would mean a hard border between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland" is going to be an acceptable reason for cancelling Brexit to the vast majority of the 52% who voted Brexit, I want some of what you're smoking.

People voted for Brexit. "The Irish won't wear it! We're staying!" is basically a recipe for Prime Minister Farage.
    Did they?
  • Very good cartoon. Though as an earlier mathematician would have noted, all that is required is for Leavers to believe six impossible things before breakfast.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    Never. Never. Never !
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited February 2018
    O/T

"People in the survey were most likely to embrace a racially diverse neighbor in the United Kingdom and its Anglo former colonies (the United States, Canada, Australia and New Zealand) and in Latin America. The only real exceptions were oil-rich Venezuela, where income inequality sometimes breaks along racial lines, and the Dominican Republic, perhaps because of its adjacency to troubled Haiti. Scandinavian countries also scored high."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2013/05/15/a-fascinating-map-of-the-worlds-most-and-least-racially-tolerant-countries/?utm_term=.1ff7d1dd2769
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    kyf_100 said:

FPT

Roger said:

That sort of cultural generalisation is generally bilge, and a lot of the Irish I meet are posterboys for Korsakoff Syndrome. And it took them all of 15 months to forget what they initially thought of Lisbon in 2008-9.
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,911

kyf_100 said:

FPT

Roger said:

Did they?
    I think the last time this topic came up SeanT calmly suggested we fire a small tactical nuke in the general direction of County Kerry. While he's never one to shy away from hyperbole, I pointed out at the time that I expected the man-in-the-pub reaction to be somewhat similar.

Brexit feels to me at least in part to be a very British two-fingers-up at authority type thing and I said at the time that the government would have a hard time selling the fact that the political nuances of the border between Northern Ireland and the RoI necessitated the overruling of his vote to your average pub drinker in Hartlepool. In such a circumstance I can imagine a resurgence of the UKIP vote.
    The DUP having necessarily to give confidence and supply to the government is handy for them in the negotiation over Ireland. May knows if she signed the current draft they'd stop supporting the govt pdq.So she cant, even if she wanted to.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,957
    edited February 2018
    kyf_100 said:

kyf_100 said:

FPT

Roger said:

Did they?
    I think the last time this topic came up SeanT calmly suggested we fire a small tactical nuke in the general direction of County Kerry. While he's never one to shy away from hyperbole, I pointed out at the time that I expected the man-in-the-pub reaction to be somewhat similar.

Brexit feels to me at least in part to be a very British two-fingers-up at authority type thing and I said at the time that the government would have a hard time selling the fact that the political nuances of the border between Northern Ireland and the RoI necessitated the overruling of his vote to your average pub drinker in Hartlepool. In such a circumstance I can imagine a resurgence of the UKIP vote.
    If we're using Sean as the barometer of the reaction of the man in the pub.....

https://twitter.com/thomasknox/status/968059599801765889
  • Nice cartoon.

I remember a very good Escher cartoon about Major's government in the Times a generation ago.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    OT. Re the Daily Mail digging into Max Mosley's writings of the early 60's.

Does anyone think the Mail is a suitable organ to be judging anyone's racist past?
    calum said:

twitter.com/FinancialTimes/status/968920039079464960

Note that the EU won't negotiate the future trading arrangement until after the withdrawal agreement is signed. Madness, I know.
    edited February 2018
    Re: @SeanT

What a bottler. Suffering in the Indian ocean is clearly making him soft.
    kyf_100 said:

kyf_100 said:

FPT

Roger said:

Did they?

Pandering to the man-in-the pub sounds like a silly basis to run a government.
    Roger said:

Does anyone think the Mail is a suitable organ to be judging anyone's racist past?

In the case of Max Mosley, yes.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    edited February 2018
    The best solution for the Irish issue is for May to agree a form of UK 'regulatory alignment' with the EU which while not technically keeping the UK in the Customs Union is as close as possible to it.

The challenge for her will be getting it past her backbenchers though it would satisfy the DUP as UK-wide
    HYUFD said:

The best solution for the Irish issue is for May to agree a form of UK 'regulatory alignment' with the EU which while not technically keeping the UK in the Customs Union is as close as possible to it.

The challenge for her will be getting it past her backbenchers though it would satisfy the DUP as UK-wide

BINO
  • rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,881
    Pulpstar said:

The DUP having necessarily to give confidence and supply to the government is handy for them in the negotiation over Ireland. May knows if she signed the current draft they'd stop supporting the govt pdq.So she cant, even if she wanted to.

We also know that the DUP rejected her first attempt at a deal.

So May can either screw the Good Friday Agreement, the DUP or her Brexiteers.
    She can’t do #2 (unless the parliamentary arithmetic changes) and she won’t do #3, so all that is left is #1. There will be a hard Border and there will be tedious arguments about how hard it really is.

But there’s no way this is going to stop Brexit.
    rkrkrk said:

Pulpstar said:

She can’t do #2 (unless the parliamentary arithmetic changes) and she won’t do #3, so all that is left is #1. There will be a hard Border and there will be tedious arguments about how hard it really is.

Is there actually anything in the GFA that precludes some customs checks on the border?
  • Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

BINO
    Anything which ends uncontrolled immigration is by definition not BINO.

Nuances about trade and customs mean little to most people.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,055
    rkrkrk said:

Pulpstar said:

Though #1 may mean #2 also.

• rkrkrk said:

Pulpstar said:

It might be a Hard border in theory but ten thousand troops weren't able to make it a hard border in practice.
    Today the Richard Mottram Quote seems more apt than ever.

"We're all fucked. I'm fucked. You're fucked. The whole department's fucked. It's been the biggest cock-up ever and we're all completely fucked."

Thanks Dave.
  • AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621

rkrkrk said:

Pulpstar said:

It might be a Hard border in theory but ten thousand troops weren't able to make it a hard border in practice.
    So we only stop the legitimate trade. Sounds an ideal solution, and it's nice and expensive as a special bonus (more GDP!!).

Hmmm.
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,979
    edited February 2018
    kyf_100 said:

kyf_100 said:

FPT

Roger said:

Did they?

A resurgence of the UKIP vote would be an added benefit of no Brexit or BINO. It would wreck the Tories by splitting their vote. Another reason for Corbyn to go for BINO.
  • AndyJS said:

O/T

"People in the survey were most likely to embrace a racially diverse neighbor in the United Kingdom and its Anglo former colonies (the United States, Canada, Australia and New Zealand) and in Latin America. The only real exceptions were oil-rich Venezuela, where income inequality sometimes breaks along racial lines, and the Dominican Republic, perhaps because of its adjacency to troubled Haiti. Scandinavian countries also scored high."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2013/05/15/a-fascinating-map-of-the-worlds-most-and-least-racially-tolerant-countries/?utm_term=.1ff7d1dd2769

India and Islamic countries (Pakistan a surprising exception) don't look good in that survey.

France neither - it seems Hartlepool is a beacon of tolerance compared to Roger's adopted country.
  • YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    Jonathan said:

kyf_100 said:

kyf_100 said:

FPT

Roger said:

Did they?

Pandering to the man-in-the pub sounds like a silly basis to run a government.
    Well Cameron took the man in the pub having a cig advice ,on the holding a referendum.He said his name was Nigel.
  • Anorak said:

rkrkrk said:

Pulpstar said:

So we only stop the legitimate trade. Sounds an ideal solution, and it's nice and expensive as a special bonus (more GDP!!).

Hmmm.
    I sometimes think the UK borders are there to stop legitimate trade and facilitate illegitimate.

:wink:
  • AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621

Anorak said:

rkrkrk said:

Pulpstar said:

Hmmm.
    I sometimes think the UK borders are there to stop legitimate trade and facilitate illegitimate.

"I'm just a very heavy smoker" says man with packed transit van.
    Sean_F said:

Roger said:

The Newspaper who headlined one of its paeans to Hitler "Hurrah for the Blackshirts?"
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 15,543
    rkrkrk said:

Pulpstar said:

There is one factor that May et al have completely ignored up to now. Reality. Reality usually wins, eventually. There is no tolerable Brexit outcome that doesn't include being closely aligned with the EU, which will be on its terms. We might get some choices within the parameters set for us by the EU, but that's it. This is why Brexiteers complain loudly and the government doesn't put up an alternative plan. If there was a Plan B we would be getting with it. We will be sticking with Plan EU.
  • Roger said:

There's more recent evidence of the Mail's own opinions on papa Mosely.

https://twitter.com/peterjukes/status/968796056178843648
    Roger said:

Sean_F said:

Roger said:

The Newspaper who headlined one of its paeans to Hitler "Hurrah for the Blackshirts?"
    Max Mosley is more unpleasant than the Daily Mail.

AndyJS said:

O/T

India and Islamic countries (Pakistan a surprising exception) don't look good in that survey.

France neither - it seems Hartlepool is a beacon of tolerance compared to Roger's adopted country.
    It's an idiosyncrasy of the site that all the flounciest bigotfinders-general tend to take time out from berating Mr Farage to brag about their bijou little retreat in some fascist muslim-baiting hellhole on what we used to call the continent.
  • rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,881
    RobD said:

rkrkrk said:

Pulpstar said:

Is there actually anything in the GFA that precludes some customs checks on the border?
    I presume there is as the papers keep talking about it.
    The govt may be taking legal advice? It would certainly be handy if they could reasonably claim they weren’t breaking the treaty!
    Ishmael_Z said:

AndyJS said:

O/T

It's an idiosyncrasy of the site that all the flounciest bigotfinders-general tend to take time out from berating Mr Farage to brag about their bijou little retreat in some fascist muslim-baiting hellhole on what we used to call the continent.
    Farage broke Britain . He deserves a little criticism .
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited February 2018
    The article I posted earlier is apparently upsetting a lot of people in America because for instance it suggests that Indians are more racist than Americans.
  • Roger said:

Sean_F said:

Roger said:

' One of the things that always makes me furious is the knee-jerk stupidity of saying that the Daily Mail used to support fascism, thereby implying that it is somehow tainted goods in its modern form.

I certainly have my differences with the politics of the modern Mail, but it is blind prejudice to link what it published, for a brief period, in the 1930s to what it does today.

So I was delighted to see on Anna Raccoon's blog last week a piece by Matt Wardman in which he presented a media history lesson.

He omitted a crucial fact and I'll come to that in a moment. But he made two very important points - firstly, the Mail was not the only paper to carry articles supporting Oswald Mosley's blackshirts. The Daily Mirror did too.

Secondly, trying to criticise the 2011 Mail by pointing to an 80-year-old aberration lacks any value whatsoever. It not only had no lasting effect on the Mail. It had almost no effect even at the time. '

https://www.theguardian.com/media/greenslade/2011/dec/06/dailymail-oswald-mosley

Someone might also say that choosing to live as you do in such an openly racist country might make you an unsuitable person for commenting on such an issue. :wink:
    Jacob Rees Mogg now trying a character assassination of John Major. Tories can't resist eating their own feet.

At last the anti Brexit movement is starting to bite
    rkrkrk said:

RobD said:

rkrkrk said:

Pulpstar said:

I presume there is as the papers keep talking about it.
    The govt may be taking legal advice? It would certainly be handy if they could reasonably claim they weren’t breaking the treaty!
    What do the papers know! :p There’s not a single mention of customs in the treaty, and no reference to a ban on checks on the border.
  • MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,921
    Roger said:

Jacob Rees Mogg now trying a character assassination of John Major. Tories can't resist eating their own feet.

Remind me when JM allowed a free vote on the EU?
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,722
    Jonathan said:

Ishmael_Z said:

AndyJS said:

O/T

I think the Liberal Elite Tory and Labour should take their share of the blame myself.
    Roger said:

18 months too late, if it is.
  • HYUFD said:

Regulatory alignment in the pharmaceutical sector will require acceptance of European law. It is illegal to sell a non approved drug in Europe. The European Medicines Agency based in London decides what is legal. Are we to outsource our drug policy to EC with no influence on what they approve?

I have a customer with a medtech production plant in Warrenpoint region and warehouse across the border in Eire. Parts, completed goods etc move daily across borders with no detailed paperwork.

Roger said:

Also, I'm taking this Remainer glee as a chance to remind everyone of the golden rule of Brexit; anything which cheers Remainers goes on to hurt their cause...

Roger said:

Sean_F said:

Roger said:

' One of the things that always makes me furious is the knee-jerk stupidity of saying that the Daily Mail used to support fascism, thereby implying that it is somehow tainted goods in its modern form.

I certainly have my differences with the politics of the modern Mail, but it is blind prejudice to link what it published, for a brief period, in the 1930s to what it does today.

So I was delighted to see on Anna Raccoon's blog last week a piece by Matt Wardman in which he presented a media history lesson.

He omitted a crucial fact and I'll come to that in a moment. But he made two very important points - firstly, the Mail was not the only paper to carry articles supporting Oswald Mosley's blackshirts. The Daily Mirror did too.

Secondly, trying to criticise the 2011 Mail by pointing to an 80-year-old aberration lacks any value whatsoever. It not only had no lasting effect on the Mail. It had almost no effect even at the time. '

https://www.theguardian.com/media/greenslade/2011/dec/06/dailymail-oswald-mosley

Someone might also say that choosing to live as you do in such an openly racist country might make you an unsuitable person for commenting on such an issue. :wink:
    Aren't you missing the point that the Mail's character assassination is based on a leaflet Mosely is alleged to have written 56 years ago?
  • I agree there is no real prospect of a hard Brexit anymore. What is a shame is that a soft Brexit also seems to be slipping away. The Brexiters seem to have run out of ideas and rather than building consensus they are trying pointlessly to ram it through.

Jonathan said:

Ishmael_Z said:

AndyJS said:

O/T

I think the Liberal Elite Tory and Labour should take their share of the blame myself.
    Nope. This little beauty is all on the Brexiteers and their half arsed, half baked ill thought through, nostalgic ego trip.
    Sean_F said:

Roger said:

Sean_F said:

Roger said:

Max Mosley is more unpleasant than the Daily Mail.
    I'll bow to your reasoning
    Roger said:

Roger said:

Sean_F said:

Roger said:

Aren't you missing the point that the Mail's character assassination is based on a leaflet Mosely is alleged to have written 56 years ago?
    Erm, Roge old pal, you just criticised the Mail based on something brought up 80 years ago....
  • saddosaddo Posts: 534
    2 interesting games going on today.

John Major blowing his chances of ever being considered a wise old man again with his anti Brexit rant. Given he stiffed us all with Maastricht in the 1st place, he's lost his impact into the future.

Labour's collaborating with Barnier. Corbyn always was stupid but this is madness for Labour.
  • The Moggster revealed as a plonker in an interview on C4 News. Behind the accent and affectations he’s just another son of privilege with a mediocre mind.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,787
    RobD said:

Roger said:

The Brexiteers have to survive another year... They did the political equivalent of running a 4 minute mile at the start of a marathon and have somehow staggered to the half way point but still have a 13 mile death march to go.
    Roger said:

Roger said:

Sean_F said:

Roger said:

It's more than character assassination. Under cross-examination, when he sued The Sun, he denied having written the leaflet in question.
  • The Moggster revealed as a plonker in an interview on C4 News. Behind the accent and affectations he’s just another son of privilege with a mediocre mind.

You forgot Brexit Loon, that's your favourite description is it not?
    Jonathan said:

Ishmael_Z said:

AndyJS said:

O/T

He was merely competent, actually (admittedly a rarer quality in UKIP than in real life). To say he "broke Britain" overrates him. Anyway, my point was that some are better placed than others to criticise him.
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Ishmael_Z said:

AndyJS said:

O/T

Nope. This little beauty is all on the Brexiteers and their half arsed, half baked ill thought through, nostalgic ego trip.
    The most obvious point is the one that rarely gets raised. Most British voters were unhappy with the way the EU had developed.

The Moggster revealed as a plonker in an interview on C4 News. Behind the accent and affectations he’s just another son of privilege with a mediocre mind.

They've been captured by a romantic nostalgic vision of a Britain that never was. Practical , pragmatic ideas on how Brexit might work were never developed. You know, the stuff Conservatives used to pride themselves on.

RobD said:

Roger said:

The Brexiteers have to survive another year... They did the political equivalent of running a 4 minute mile at the start of a marathon and have somehow staggered to the half way point but still have a 13 mile death march to go.
    Nah. Brexit is happening. It will be shite that everyone objects to for different reasons, but it will happen.

• FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    saddo said:

2 interesting games going on today.

John Major blowing his chances of ever being considered a wise old man again with his anti Brexit rant. Given he stiffed us all with Maastricht in the 1st place, he's lost his impact into the future.

Labour's collaborating with Barnier. Corbyn always was stupid but this is madness for Labour.

A chance of power obviously trumps any principles they might have held.
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,722
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Ishmael_Z said:

AndyJS said:

O/T

You mean the majority.

Do you have a problem with wanting electoral accountability and write it off as a nostalgic ego trip.
    Ishmael_Z said:

Jonathan said:

Ishmael_Z said:

AndyJS said:

O/T

He was merely competent, actually (admittedly a rarer quality in UKIP than in real life). To say he "broke Britain" overrates him. Anyway, my point was that some are better placed than others to criticise him.
    Look at UKIP for an example of the wake of destruction he leaves behind him. That's his Brexit.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    Anorak said:

rkrkrk said:

Pulpstar said:

Hmmm.
    Tbh, that's not the UK's problem. If the Irish want to dig in over this it's their wealth that drains away.
  • rawzerrawzer Posts: 189

Roger said:

Sean_F said:

Roger said:

The Hurrah! was for Max's dad and Mussolini rather than Hitler. I would have a lot more sympathy for the 'it was all a long time ago' defence of the Mail if it wasn't happy to rake up everyone else's past when it suits them.

There were a lot of smatterings of support for Mosley in the British press at the time, but no other paper adopted him in quite such a structured form as the Mail. No one else ran a full page back cover photo of him with Our Future Leader as a caption or a beauty competition for female blackshirts for example.

On the other hand the association was fairly short lived and died off after the Olympia rally violence and it was all before the full horror of what fascism in Europe and particularly in Germany would spawn was as clear as it is with our 2020 hindsight
  • brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    Mortimer said:

Roger said:

Remind me when JM allowed a free vote on the EU?
    He didn't just not allow a free vote he turned the vote on Maastricht in 1993 into a vote of no confidence which meant Tory MPs had little choice but to vote in favour or face losing the whip or deselection.

It is therefore perfectly reasonable to criticise his hypocrisy on this issue.
    Jonathan said:

Ishmael_Z said:

AndyJS said:

O/T

Err - New Labour did more than their fair share.

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Ishmael_Z said:

AndyJS said:

O/T

You mean the majority.

Do you have a problem with wanting electoral accountability and write it off as a nostalgic ego trip.
    Lions led by donkeys.
  • Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Ishmael_Z said:

AndyJS said:

O/T

You mean the majority.

Lions led by donkeys.
    They may have been donkeys, but they outwitted Remain's donkeys and against all the odds.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074
    Roger said:

If that bothers you Channel 4 was doing exactly the same thing.

Focusing on the messenger and ignoring the message is really pretty stupid.

Max Mosley has been funding the Deputy Leader of the Labour Party.

He has been funding Impress which seeks to regulate the press in this country.

He is trying to use the data protection laws to stop people knowing these things about him, saying anything about them and indeed keeping any sort of record about him.

It is also possible that he may have lied on oath during the libel trial. Perjury is a very serious offence. It is very relevant to know if the man who is funding the organisation which seeks to regulate the press has committed such a serious offence.

Quite a lot of people and organisations in the past supported people or causes with very questionable views. For instance, the current leader of the Labour Party has appointed as a part-time advisor a man who for 40 years was a member of a party which once supported Russia's alliance with Hitler and as a result refused to fight against Hitler, while others fought to defend their country.

The obsession with Rothermere's support for appeasement while overlooking similar failings in others seems to be a deflection from ever having to engage with what they write now. It is not a paper I read. But that does not mean that like all newspapers they may not now and again do some good journalism or uncover matters which others prefer to hide.

Max Mosley is seeking to use his considerable wealth to determine what gets published in this country and what press policies the main opposition party might adopt. He is just the same as those billionaires press owners the Labour Party rant about, though their ranting is muted when the wealthy person is on their side. Scrutiny of what he has said and done is entirely proper in the circumstances.
    Jonathan said:

Ishmael_Z said:

AndyJS said:

O/T

UKIP and Farage only succeeded for a while and Brexit happened because of the complete abject failure of liberal Tories, New Labour and Lib Dems to even recognise let alone address the concerns of millions of voters who see little hope for any improvement in their lot let alone their kids.

Now of course many of those same people are turning to Corbyn.

"Brexit Is Getting Far Too Much Attention"

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2018-02-28/brexit-is-already-forgotten-in-most-of-the-world

It doesn't take a psychoanalyst to see that the frenzy of attention devoted to Brexit reveals what Britain's apologists already know deep down: They have lost. The U.K. is not at risk of falling in the world. It has already fallen.
  • Roger said:

Roger said:

Sean_F said:

Roger said:

But you mentioned 'Hurrah to the Blackshirts' which was written 84 years ago.

You can't have it both ways Roger.

Not to mention Lord Rothermere has been dead since 1940.
    rawzer said:

Roger said:

Sean_F said:

Roger said:

The Hurrah! was for Max's dad and Mussolini rather than Hitler. I would have a lot more sympathy for the 'it was all a long time ago' defence of the Mail if it wasn't happy to rake up everyone else's past when it suits them.

ht
    The important point is that Max Mosley made a statement under oath which was untrue.
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,979
    Foxy said:

RobD said:

Roger said:

Nah. Brexit is happening. It will be shite that everyone objects to for different reasons, but it will happen.

Punters on Betfair reckon there is about a 20% chance it won't happen before 2022 if at all.
  • Mortimer said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

Sean_F said:

Roger said:

Erm, Roge old pal, you just criticised the Mail based on something brought up 80 years ago....
    Distracting from Labour's problem with Mosley today by turning it into being about the Daily Mail 80 years ago.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 15,543

I agree there is no real prospect of a hard Brexit anymore. What is a shame is that a soft Brexit also seems to be slipping away. The Brexiters seem to have run out of ideas and rather than building consensus they are trying pointlessly to ram it through.

Brexit is a miserable business. No-one gains from it apart from a couple of pig farmers, maybe, some lawyers and those whose job it is to impose red tape and extra costs. We're stuck with it. Democracy necessarily trumps common sense.

AndyJS said:

O/T

Hang on - from that we are more tolerant than some of the EU core countries ... but, but I keep getting told we are the xenophobic ones

Seriously though, France is not a tolerant country and Pakistan is far from tolerant if you look at religious freedoms and treatment of minority religions.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074
    Roger said:

Roger said:

Sean_F said:

Roger said:

You're missing the point. During his libel trial Mosley claimed that he had never written or been involved with such a leaflet. So it is possible that what he said on oath was untrue and, if so (and there were a number of other claims he may have made which appear to be contradicted by this leaflet and other material) that this might have affected the outcome of the trial.

It is about his credibility and integrity and about the integrity of the libel proceedings. These are not trivial matters.

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Ishmael_Z said:

AndyJS said:

O/T

You mean the majority.

Lions led by donkeys.
    They may have been donkeys, but they outwitted Remain's donkeys and against all the odds.
    We were promised control and more money for public services

We got chaos, division, no control and less cash.

rawzer said:

There were a lot of smatterings of support for Mosley in the British press at the time, but no other paper adopted him in quite such a structured form as the Mail. No one else ran a full page back cover photo of him with Our Future Leader as a caption or a beauty competition for female blackshirts for example.

On the other hand the association was fairly short lived and died off after the Olympia rally violence and it was all before the full horror of what fascism in Europe and particularly in Germany would spawn was as clear as it is with our 2020 hindsight

PG Wodehouse nailed Oswald Mosley in The Code of the Woosters (1938), where Bertie says to Roderick Spode (=Mosley)

“The trouble with you, Spode, is that just because you have succeeded in inducing a handful of half-wits to disfigure the London scene by going about in black shorts, you think you're someone. You hear them shouting "Heil, Spode!" and you imagine it is the Voice of the People. That is where you make your bloomer. What the Voice of the People is saying is: "Look at that frightful ass Spode swanking about in footer bags! Did you ever in your puff see such a perfect perisher?”
    edited February 2018
    kyf_100 said:

kyf_100 said:

FPT

Roger said:

Did they?

What have the poor people of Kerry done to deserve that? They continue to elect the hilarious Healy-Rae family dynasty to the Dail - for that they deserve great thanks for adding to the gaiety of Irish politics.

If you are going to nuke anywhere it should be Dublin 4 - where the elites live!

Here are Michael and Danny Healy Rae in action in the Dail - they represent 40 per cent of the Kerry county TD delegation.

https://youtu.be/i3r8IBlVtys
  • Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Ishmael_Z said:

AndyJS said:

O/T

You mean the majority.

Lions led by donkeys.

How about you wait until we are out before telling us what we have and have not got from Brexit. Nobody said there's be "control and more money for public services" before we left. Lots of people however said there'd be an immediate recession after the vote.
    Barnesian said:

Foxy said:

RobD said:

Roger said:

Punters on Betfair reckon there is about a 20% chance it won't happen before 2022 if at all.
    And?

Wiley punters *buffs nails* got 15/1 on Brexit as polling stations closed....
  • "Brexit Is Getting Far Too Much Attention"

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2018-02-28/brexit-is-already-forgotten-in-most-of-the-world

It doesn't take a psychoanalyst to see that the frenzy of attention devoted to Brexit reveals what Britain's apologists already know deep down: They have lost. The U.K. is not at risk of falling in the world. It has already fallen.

In 1973.

• GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812
    I’m in Paris, drinking very good wine at very good prices, so I’m just catching up with the day’s news.

Seems Major’s speech went down well with at least one swing(ing) voter:

https://twitter.com/pjstringfellow/status/968867797890748416

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Ishmael_Z said:

AndyJS said:

O/T

You mean the majority.

Lions led by donkeys.

How about you wait until we are out before telling us what we have and have not got from Brexit. Nobody said there's be "control and more money for public services" before we left. Lots of people however said there'd be an immediate recession after the vote.
    Oh. It's all going to plan. I see.

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Ishmael_Z said:

AndyJS said:

O/T

You mean the majority.

Lions led by donkeys.

We certainly aren't getting this:

"Boris Johnson: Brexit would not affect Irish border" - 29 February 2016

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-35692452
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Ishmael_Z said:

AndyJS said:

O/T

You mean the majority.

Lions led by donkeys.

Public finances have improved since the Brexit vote.
  • rawzerrawzer Posts: 189
    Ishmael_Z said:

rawzer said:

PG Wodehouse nailed Oswald Mosley in The Code of the Woosters (1938), where Bertie says to Roderick Spode (=Mosley)

“The trouble with you, Spode, is that just because you have succeeded in inducing a handful of half-wits to disfigure the London scene by going about in black shorts, you think you're someone. You hear them shouting "Heil, Spode!" and you imagine it is the Voice of the People. That is where you make your bloomer. What the Voice of the People is saying is: "Look at that frightful ass Spode swanking about in footer bags! Did you ever in your puff see such a perfect perisher?”
    Sounds about right :)
  • VAR causing controversy again with a good Spurs goal ruled out
  • Floater said:
    Possibly not. Has Corbyn said yet whether he'd accept Barnier's Draft?
  • Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Ishmael_Z said:

AndyJS said:

O/T

You mean the majority.

Lions led by donkeys.

We certainly aren't getting this:

"Boris Johnson: Brexit would not affect Irish border" - 29 February 2016

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-35692452
    You don't know yet.

Floater said:
    Possibly not. Has Corbyn said yet whether he'd accept Barnier's Draft?
    May will accept it. She has no plan B, unless plan B was a GE...
    Sean_F said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Ishmael_Z said:

AndyJS said:

O/T

You mean the majority.

Lions led by donkeys.

Public finances have improved since the Brexit vote.
    So has Scottish rugby . Neither are connected . We're growing slower than we might have.
This discussion has been closed.