Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If there is a second referendum Remain should demand that all

Comments

• It's Bricksit is my favourite.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,783

Matt D'Ancona nails it with the current outbreak of peace within the Tory party - they've finally realized Jezza's Labour is a serious and dangerous threat and have belatedly decided to show a united front.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/mar/04/theresa-may-truce-brexit-battle-europe-speech

But Theresa is surely walking a tightrope. One misstep or hint of betrayal and it will all kick off once more.

Or the other alternative is that she set out a credible, sensible and ultimately workable deal for Brexit?

Remember Matt's buddy Goerge Osborne claimed Theresa was a "dead woman walking" and would be out of office by Wednesday 14th June 2017...
  • In the words of Father Jack

'I love my brick'
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,143

Latest report on Italy says that the result will mean the next government will be very anti the EU and will cause big problems for Brussels.

Also neither the BBC or Guardian are making much of an effort to report the results but that is maybe not unsurprising.as it does not chime with their EU agenda

Italy has always punched under its weight in EU circles, despite being a founding member. So even if the government is anti-EU, I'm not at all sure whether that will mean anything in practice.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,934
    edited March 2018

A bombshell study has found that few voters believe the Conservative Party’s key election claim that its councils cost less for quality local services.

Only three in 10 voters across London see the Conservatives as the party of low council tax and a meagre 18 per cent in Tory-run boroughs think it delivers on its boast of lower bills and better services.

The report, by ex-Conservative treasurer Lord Ashcroft, comes before the May 3 elections in London, where the Conservatives are fighting to avoid the loss of flagships such as Wandsworth, Barnet and Westminster.

It found that many Londoners plan to use their votes to punish Theresa May and the national government for Brexit and spending cuts.

Few appeared nervous of Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn’s Left-wing supporters taking over councils. In Tory-run boroughs only a third of voters associated the party with either better services or lower council tax.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/local-elections-2018-new-poll-shock-for-tories-in-london-most-voters-reject-partys-message-on-low-a3781636.html

Given 20 out of 32 London boroughs are Labour held and only 9 Tory held few Londoners have much experience of Tory run boroughs anyway.

Crucially 32% of voters in Tory boroughs think they are well run and only 25% badly run, that is significantly better than the 29% in Labour boroughs who think they are well run with 28% believing them badly run

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/local-elections-2018-new-poll-shock-for-tories-in-london-most-voters-reject-partys-message-on-low-a3781636.html
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,563

On topic, May has telegraphed in a fairly transparent way that a second referendum is coming, firstly with her five tests, but also with her answer that "no British Prime Minister" could sign the withdrawal agreement.

http://metro.co.uk/2018/02/17/theresa-may-rules-second-brexit-referendum-7320308/
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Pulpstar said:

A bombshell study has found that few voters believe the Conservative Party’s key election claim that its councils cost less for quality local services.

Only three in 10 voters across London see the Conservatives as the party of low council tax and a meagre 18 per cent in Tory-run boroughs think it delivers on its boast of lower bills and better services.

The report, by ex-Conservative treasurer Lord Ashcroft, comes before the May 3 elections in London, where the Conservatives are fighting to avoid the loss of flagships such as Wandsworth, Barnet and Westminster.

It found that many Londoners plan to use their votes to punish Theresa May and the national government for Brexit and spending cuts.

Few appeared nervous of Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn’s Left-wing supporters taking over councils. In Tory-run boroughs only a third of voters associated the party with either better services or lower council tax.

Council tax in Coventry went up 4.9% with the Labour administered council this year. So I asked my Dad what it would have gone up if the Tories were in charge.
    The alternative budget had a 4.9% increase too ;)
    That's because councils are limited to 5%. Maybe Theresa May should remove that ceiling, which may be seen by voters as making it safe to vote Labour in local elections.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,960
    Miss Cyclefree, is Italy a net contributor? I'd guess so, but we tend not to hear about it.
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Foxy said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Foxy said:

Pulpstar said:

Can May repoint the Tories to victory ?

I think she is insulated from the outside, and probably needs to get plastered.
    Looks a pretty reliable lagging indicator to me.
    There may be a window of opportunity, if she meets herself at the corner...
    It is very easy to make silly puns at Mrs May's expense. There's mortar her than meets the eye, though.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,898

Given that many Councils are Tory controlled it’s quite remarkable how the Tory government seems to slag them all off indiscriminately.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,093
    Ishmael_Z said:

Foxy said:

Pulpstar said:

Can May repoint the Tories to victory ?

I think she is insulated from the outside, and probably needs to get plastered.
    Looks a pretty reliable lagging indicator to me.
    Will the header-cases be carried out on a stretcher?
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,888

Pulpstar said:

Council tax in Coventry went up 4.9% with the Labour administered council this year. So I asked my Dad what it would have gone up if the Tories were in charge.
    That's because councils are limited to 5%. Maybe Theresa May should remove that ceiling, which may be seen by voters as making it safe to vote Labour in local elections.
    Are you mad Richard ?!

Do you really want to pay more council tax :o ?
  • On topic, May has telegraphed in a fairly transparent way that a second referendum is coming, firstly with her five tests, but also with her answer that "no British Prime Minister" could sign the withdrawal agreement.

http://metro.co.uk/2018/02/17/theresa-may-rules-second-brexit-referendum-7320308/
    Didn't she also repeatedly rule out a snap election?
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Are you mad Richard ?!

Good point, she should keep the ceiling for Conservative councils, then everyone's happy.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,940
    Coming to a post Brexit outlet near you, unless they fall foul of Trump's trade war.

https://twitter.com/WingsScotland/status/970611260814516224

On topic, May has telegraphed in a fairly transparent way that a second referendum is coming, firstly with her five tests, but also with her answer that "no British Prime Minister" could sign the withdrawal agreement.

But I think she might have learnt her lesson about saying one thing and doing another.....
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606
    rkrkrk said:

MaxPB said:

I agree with you, but the problem with the honest assessment of the EU is that inevitably the answer is "it's shit, but..." you can't run a campaign based on that.

I don't think it's shit - just has major problems.

I remember OGH saying he thought whichever side Cameron (then a trusted politician) backed would win. Well Cameron destroyed his trustworthiness in record speed by

a) suggesting that he was considering leaving
    b) pretending he had negotiated something big with Brussels
    c) then turning round and saying the EU was wonderful and the sky would fall in if we left

I'm unconvinced that the Cameron/Osborne strategy in the referendum was much good.
    Maybe the result would have different if they'd fronted a more honest campaign.
    It would have been even worse for remain. Running a pro-EU campaign would have been a disaster when the sentence started with "it's shit, but..." and I use that because in a campaign there's no real way to make the argument in less than 10 words.

It's like saying, this club has loads of faults but we should stay in because it's awesome. The remain campaign was coherent in a sense because it made the argument that "yes we think the EU is shit, but we think leave will be the end of days" and ran the campaign on the basis of relative good.

Corbyn may have been brutally honest with his 7/10 comment, but it was probably much less helpful than you think.
  • AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    Guido has a very amusing take on the wall:
    https://order-order.com/2018/03/05/bricking-it-theresa-gives-speech-standing-in-chimney/
    Chim-chim-cheroo...
  • Coming to a post Brexit outlet near you, unless they fall foul of Trump's trade war.

https://twitter.com/WingsScotland/status/970611260814516224

I like pineapple on its own or with other fruits, I love pineapple juice.

But I do wish people would stop putting pineapple in nice food.

Time to go postal on these people.

At least the weather’s improving. Well it is here, anyway!

We are still snowed in at one end of our lane.

And builders have closed the road to start digging it up at the other end.

Marvellous.

Marvellous.
    Sympathies!

Miss Cyclefree, is Italy a net contributor? I'd guess so, but we tend not to hear about it.

No idea. Not that I'd trust any figures coming out of the Italian Treasury, frankly.

Italy takes a much less transactional view of the relationship than Britain. Their own political structures and politicians are so shit that the EU has always been seen as a vast improvement. And given what came before the EU in Italy, who can blame them for taking that view.

Plus it allows Italian politicians more money from the EU for their favoured clients. So a win-win all round.

Italy's relative disillusionment now is because of its economic problems, on which Mr Smithson Jr has opined elegantly below, and the migration issue which has hit Italy - a largely homogenous society less enamoured of the bad side of multiculturalism (and which has not suffered the sort of terrorism or integration issues other countries have had) - hard.

Marvellous.
    The builders caused a right mess on Fanny Avenue up near here. Least the snow stopped them for a couple of days.
  • On topic, May has telegraphed in a fairly transparent way that a second referendum is coming, firstly with her five tests, but also with her answer that "no British Prime Minister" could sign the withdrawal agreement.

But I think she might have learnt her lesson about saying one thing and doing another.....
    But she still has David Davis, Liam Fox, and Boris Johnson in her cabinet trying to deliver Brexit.

Her judgment is still faulty.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    Levi jeans and bourbon could be hit with a 25% import tax by the European Union if President Donald Trump imposes tariffs on European steel and aluminium.

No great loss there then....
    Pulpstar said:

Marvellous.
    The builders caused a right mess on Fanny Avenue up near here. Least the snow stopped them for a couple of days.
    A series of euphemisms, if ever I've heard one.

What lesson do you think she's drawn from that?
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,960
    Mr. Mark, my sympathy.

Miss Cyclefree, indeed, Merkel's migration madness won't have gone down well at all in Italy.

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Are you mad Richard ?!

Good point, she should keep the ceiling for Conservative councils, then everyone's happy.
    I'll launch an independence for Oldcotes campaign if that happens ;)
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,565

Come the Glorious day backdrop
    Fair play to Tezzie - she's refused the blindfold.
  • Oh bugger, I thought this would be a positive from Brexit, getting rid of the bonus tax.

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesTimes/status/970559982507905024
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,537
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Are you mad Richard ?!

If he doesn't pay more council tax he will pay more in other taxes - or suffer ever declining services.

What lesson do you think she's drawn from that?
    Nothing has changed.

Oh bugger, I thought this would be a positive from Brexit, getting rid of the bonus tax.

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesTimes/status/970559982507905024

Not many votes in scrapping it though are there?

Did any bricks fall off the wall? Just asking
    Weirdly enough I've worked out this tariff should benefit our company in the short term, any exporter to the US that uses steel products as part of manufacture will be in the same boat.

Obviously long term its bad for everyone.
    Completely off topic: I assume that Hollywood stars have money and stylist and their pick of gowns. And yet they dress SO badly - utter eyesores most of them. No elegance or style. They may as well have walked naked with their body covered in glue into a cupboard of clothes. The results could hardly have been worse.
    edited March 2018

Levi jeans and bourbon could be hit with a 25% import tax by the European Union if President Donald Trump imposes tariffs on European steel and aluminium.

I’ve got a grandson caled Jack Daniel. He’s making a collection of every type of JD whiskey. About 20, I think, Hasn’t drunk any of them yet, though.

(Edit FFS)

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Are you mad Richard ?!

If he doesn't pay more council tax he will pay more in other taxes - or suffer ever declining services.
    People that pay the most tax don't really use the services.

And in response the US will put an import tax on EU whisky/whiskey. Guess which country that will hit? Thank you Brussels.
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

It's hard to keep up, but if the USA wants to make Cornish pasties and Scotch whisky, surely we can distill our own Kentucky bourbon?
  • Trump's a traitor isn't he?

The modern day Manchurian Candidate.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/970617452890677248
    edited March 2018

twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/970597303374503936

Why bbc funding model is not suitable for the future.

Mr. Mark, my sympathy.

Miss Cyclefree, indeed, Merkel's migration madness won't have gone down well at all in Italy.

It's not just Merkel. It's the fact that migrants have been turning up in Southern Italy, in Sicily, in Lampedusa for years and the Italians are trying to deal with them and getting v little help from anyone else. Indeed the French have effectively closed the border at Ventimiglia to stop the migrants getting into France. Not much solidarity there.

And, historically, the Italians have bad memories of North Africans......

So it is little surprise that they are feeling fed up with it all.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 15,677
    edited March 2018
    GIN1138 said:

Matt D'Ancona nails it with the current outbreak of peace within the Tory party - they've finally realized Jezza's Labour is a serious and dangerous threat and have belatedly decided to show a united front.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/mar/04/theresa-may-truce-brexit-battle-europe-speech

But Theresa is surely walking a tightrope. One misstep or hint of betrayal and it will all kick off once more.

Or the other alternative is that she set out a credible, sensible and ultimately workable deal for Brexit?

Remember Matt's buddy Goerge Osborne claimed Theresa was a "dead woman walking" and would be out of office by Wednesday 14th June 2017...
    May's speech had intimations of reality while entirely failing to address the hard choices she referred to in the abstract. It was maybe clever to put off the decision making while pretending to make hard choices. At some point we will need to decide between a destructive Brexit and a pointless one, but we're not there yet. I think we will end up with the pointless one but as a Remainer who accepts Brexit will happen, people might accuse me of saying what I would say.
    HYUFD said:

Given 20 out of 32 London boroughs are Labour held and only 9 Tory held few Londoners have much experience of Tory run boroughs anyway.

Crucially 32% of voters in Tory boroughs think they are well run and only 25% badly run, that is significantly better than the 29% in Labour boroughs who think they are well run with 28% believing them badly run

32% versus 39%? That's a new definition of "significantly better"
    edited March 2018
    Ishmael_Z said:

It's hard to keep up, but if the USA wants to make Cornish pasties and Scotch whisky, surely we can distill our own Kentucky bourbon?
    Why would one want to do that when you can drink the good stuff from Scotland...
  • ElliotElliot Posts: 1,516

Trump's a traitor isn't he?

That's why I find it astonishing you think he will get two terms. I think he is the final nail in the coffin of the Republican Party.
    Cyclefree said:

Mr. Mark, my sympathy.

It's not just Merkel. It's the fact that migrants have been turning up in Southern Italy, in Sicily, in Lampedusa for years and the Italians are trying to deal with them and getting v little help from anyone else. Indeed the French have effectively closed the border at Ventimiglia to stop the migrants getting into France. Not much solidarity there.

Couple of years ago part of the cricket Under 19’s Word Cup was staged in N Essex, and I went to watch a few of the games. The Italian team was, IIRC, all of S Asian origin.
  • If we do have a trade war can we have a 4,000% tariff on pizzas with pineapple on them?

And in response the US will put an import tax on EU whisky/whiskey. Guess which country that will hit? Thank you Brussels.
    I doubt if Cognac and Champagne will escape - guess which country that will hit?

If we do have a trade war can we have a 4,000% tariff on pizzas with pineapple on them?

That would really kill the Tory vote share....
    Ishmael_Z said:

Why bother? It's pish.

LOL! Best gag of the crop.

If we do have a trade war can we have a 4,000% tariff on pizzas with pineapple on them?

We import pineapple pizzas??
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,102
    Cyclefree said:

Mr. Mark, my sympathy.

In fairness they weren't particularly kind to the Carthaginians themselves...
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,833

Mr. Sandpit, wasn't that Stuart Rose, rather than Philip Green?

Oh crap, yes it was. Mea culpa.
  • Elliot said:

That's why I find it astonishing you think he will get two terms. I think he is the final nail in the coffin of the Republican Party.
    The GOP will double down with Trump.

The Demographics/population centres/electoral college aren't helping the Dems.

It is entirely possible in 2020 Trump loses the popular vote by 5 million votes and win an even bigger majority in the electoral college.

It is possible by 2028 the Dems could win the popular vote by 10 million and still lose the electoral college.

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

mwadams said:

Sandpit said:

BBC sound like they could be in hot water under IR35 rules, for forcing full time presenting staff to work as contractors for a decade. Lots of unhappy people, who now have HMRC on their backs personally for the tax and NI they believe is owed.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/03/03/stars-turn-bbc-tax-stitch/

Yep, looks like they been naughty boys and girls. Once the HMRC have a scent they can find loads of cases they'll chase them for easy money.
    We went through all this in the IT industry. I'm not a fan of the BBC's administration, but this doesn't seem to be something you can lay at their door directly.

I doubt they had substitutability clauses in the contracts (for obvious reasons) and so any accountant the presenters used to set up their company, *should* have told them they were liable under IR35, and hence should've been paying their full whack of tax and NI, not just dividend taxes.

So they should be going after their accountants, not the BBC.
    PI insurance for accountants must be a nightmare now that HMRC have become so aggressive in going after such historic cases - even though the rules themselves haven’t changed, the interpretation certainly has. But if you’re doing 40 hours a week for seven years for the same company, that’s always been a complete no-no unless there’s substantial other earnings. You really need to do three days with one company and two days with another, or work on six month contracts now to avoid IR35.

All of which is bloody annoying for the genuine self-employed, who take on their own business risk.
    People have been playing this game ever since I've been an accountant for the last 15 years. It's been safety in numbers.
    I was on the other side of it as an IT consultant in the UK for a few years. It’s been pretty clear for a while that if you have only one customer for the whole tax year you’re going to get done. A 12 month contract might be okay if it didn’t start in April, and make sure you have lots of meetings with prospects and agents in the diary throughout the year.

Thankfully I don’t have to deal with that any more, no self-employment reporting requirements in the sandpit if you can stay under the $100k VAT threshold.
    I thought the VAT threshold was lower than £100,000. More like £72,000 ?
    Over here in the UAE it’s $100k, annual turnover, in the UK it’s £85k, which is slightly higher.
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Are you mad Richard ?!

Ther'e some truth in that, though some of the most complianed about services: bin collections, roads, policing etc. affect high earners as much as low.
  • TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

mwadams said:

Sandpit said:

BBC sound like they could be in hot water under IR35 rules, for forcing full time presenting staff to work as contractors for a decade. Lots of unhappy people, who now have HMRC on their backs personally for the tax and NI they believe is owed.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/03/03/stars-turn-bbc-tax-stitch/

Yep, looks like they been naughty boys and girls. Once the HMRC have a scent they can find loads of cases they'll chase them for easy money.
    We went through all this in the IT industry. I'm not a fan of the BBC's administration, but this doesn't seem to be something you can lay at their door directly.

I doubt they had substitutability clauses in the contracts (for obvious reasons) and so any accountant the presenters used to set up their company, *should* have told them they were liable under IR35, and hence should've been paying their full whack of tax and NI, not just dividend taxes.

So they should be going after their accountants, not the BBC.
    PI insurance for accountants must be a nightmare now that HMRC have become so aggressive in going after such historic cases - even though the rules themselves haven’t changed, the interpretation certainly has. But if you’re doing 40 hours a week for seven years for the same company, that’s always been a complete no-no unless there’s substantial other earnings. You really need to do three days with one company and two days with another, or work on six month contracts now to avoid IR35.

All of which is bloody annoying for the genuine self-employed, who take on their own business risk.
    People have been playing this game ever since I've been an accountant for the last 15 years. It's been safety in numbers.
    I was on the other side of it as an IT consultant in the UK for a few years. It’s been pretty clear for a while that if you have only one customer for the whole tax year you’re going to get done. A 12 month contract might be okay if it didn’t start in April, and make sure you have lots of meetings with prospects and agents in the diary throughout the year.

Thankfully I don’t have to deal with that any more, no self-employment reporting requirements in the sandpit if you can stay under the $100k VAT threshold.
    I thought the VAT threshold was lower than £100,000. More like £72,000 ?
    Over here in the UAE it’s $100k, annual turnover, in the UK it’s £85k, which is slightly higher.
    (It went up from £72k fairly recently)

Elliot said:

It is entirely possible in 2020 Trump loses the popular vote by 5 million votes and win an even bigger majority in the electoral college.

It is possible by 2028 the Dems could win the popular vote by 10 million and still lose the electoral college.
    At what point do the Dems rise up in (righteous) anger? Especially as on those figues they’ll probably control Congress.

Elliot said:

I thought that the number of electoral college votes were amended to reflect the population of each State fairly regularly. I recall Florida getting an extra one, I think. If the coastal population continues to increase disproportionately it will become increasingly difficult for the middle to elect republicans.
  • rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038

Why does a vicar's daughter who dislikes lying use such precise words about the future? Even Ken Clarke said 'we're leaving the EU'. It seemed a hostage to fortune; a week's a long time in politics, so 'no plans to' is always safer than 'will not'.
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Still less than well over 9bn a year net "as is". So there should be 3-5bn per year available to "bank" back to UK HMG, as well as all the CAP payments being repatriated.

Assuming no loss in revenue due to more adverse trading conditions...

I think I see a small flaw in your plan.
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,909
    Elliot said:

Because he may not be a good president but he is certainly a lucky one - at least as far as the economy goes and that is really all that matters. If he gets to 2020 and all his opponents have to go is the non-economic stuff he is going to walk it unfortunately.

Ther'e some truth in that, though some of the most complianed about services: bin collections, roads, policing etc. affect high earners as much as low.

Our bin collections are excellent now, having been outsourced to Keir*. The difference in the quality of service is quite remarkable, and the council saved a lot.

* There were some teething troubles in the transition, but Keir took the hit and refunded some of their fee.

The back of the queue quite pissed off so many people and at a crucial time in the campaign.

You think we are at the front of the queue for a trade deal with Donald "Trade Wars are Great" Trump?

Awesome...
  • If we do have a trade war can we have a 4,000% tariff on pizzas with pineapple on them?

Pizzas are from Italy and pineapple aren't grown here are they
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,235

Why do I suspect that if pineapples were £200 an ounce, you'd be deeply conflicted about topping your pizza with them ?

Talking of uncontrolled vomiting, I am not enjoying what I believe is my first encounter with norovirus....

Elliot said:

Because he may not be a good president but he is certainly a lucky one - at least as far as the economy goes and that is really all that matters. If he gets to 2020 and all his opponents have to go is the non-economic stuff he is going to walk it unfortunately.
    There must be a good chance of a recession before the end of 2020 though.

Why does a vicar's daughter who dislikes lying use such precise words about the future? Even Ken Clarke said 'we're leaving the EU'. It seemed a hostage to fortune; a week's a long time in politics, so 'no plans to' is always safer than 'will not'.
    Because people will read "no plans" as "maybe" and "yes"....
    DavidL said:

Elliot said:

I thought that the number of electoral college votes were amended to reflect the population of each State fairly regularly. I recall Florida getting an extra one, I think. If the coastal population continues to increase disproportionately it will become increasingly difficult for the middle to elect republicans.
    No good piling up votes in New York and California as they become much more strongly Dem though.Still the same number of EC votes.

Its Corbyn's problem. Those that really like you in your heartlands pile up massive majorities, whilst losing the marginals....
  • ElliotElliot Posts: 1,516

Elliot said:

They didn't help last time, but it will help then tremendously if Florida flips. And several hundred thousand voting eligible Puerto Ricans have moved to Florida. I imagine they aren't that keen on Trump.

Our bin collections are excellent now, having been outsourced to Keir*. The difference in the quality of service is quite remarkable, and the council saved a lot.

* There were some teething troubles in the transition, but Keir took the hit and refunded some of their fee.
    Last week our bins were not collected because of the snow. (My milkman still managed to reach the wilds of West Hampstead, though - and in the middle of the night - so how a bloody great refuse van couldn't beats me.)

We were all instructed to keep the bins out on the street as they would be collected over the weekend - a normal wintry weekend with no snow or rain and not, frankly, that cold. Monday pm: still not collected.

I'm leaving mine out until Friday, the next scheduled collection day. Only a minor irritation in the grand scheme of things but still annoying that something as basic as this cannot be done efficiently. Still the Tories are non-existent on the council and the Lib Dems have been all but wiped out so we're stuck with the Labour council.

DavidL said:

Elliot said:

No good piling up votes in New York and California as they become much more strongly Dem though.Still the same number of EC votes.

Its Corbyn's problem. Those that really like you in your heartlands pile up massive majorities, whilst losing the marginals....
    But if the population of California goes up another 5m they will get more votes in the electoral college.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,235
    Cyclefree said:

Completely off topic: I assume that Hollywood stars have money and stylist and their pick of gowns. And yet they dress SO badly - utter eyesores most of them. No elegance or style. They may as well have walked naked with their body covered in glue into a cupboard of clothes...

This spring's fashion trend ?
    Nigelb said:

Why do I suspect that if pineapples were £200 an ounce, you'd be deeply conflicted about topping your pizza with them ?

Talking of uncontrolled vomiting, I am not enjoying what I believe is my first encounter with norovirus....
    Ooooh, sympathies.

Just - keep your distance.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,215
    edited March 2018
    DavidL said:

Elliot said:

It is, but

1) The Dems are piling up voters in the wrong places. Winning California by 30% is the same as winning it by half a per cent.

2) The GOP are winning the smaller states, and with the two top electoral college vote gives them a disproportionate boost. For every California 2 up boost, there's places like Wyoming, The Dakotas, Alaska to help the GOP which also get the 2 up boost.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,789
    DavidL said:

Elliot said:

It's more a case that the Democrats are winning too many votes in the North East, California, and big cities, and not enough elsewhere. Whether you win California by 5% or 25% makes no difference to the number of EC votes you get.
    edited March 2018
    Scott_P said:

The back of the queue quite pissed off so many people and at a crucial time in the campaign.

You think we are at the front of the queue for a trade deal with Donald "Trade Wars are Great" Trump?

Awesome...
    You really have turned into a twat haven't you. Where is there any evidence that I think that is great, said anything positive about the big baby etc etc etc.

That was then, this is now. The point is that Obama made a comment that pissed off a lot of people at a crucial time in the campaign. He came over and in a clearly coordinated attempted to support the Remain campaign decided that threatening us with a poor trade deal if we left was a good tactic and it backfired.

The fact we now have Trump throwing a massive anti-free trade tantrum is irrelevant to that point.

Pizzas are from Italy and pineapple aren't grown here are they
    Reminds me of the 'mozzarella-style' cheese that will be 81p instead of £1.50p in the JRM/Sun post Brexit tariff-free world. I am sure it will wipe the floor with the real Italian Mozzarella you can currently buy in Waitrose for 70p (other supermarkets are available).
  • stevefstevef Posts: 1,044
    This article has got to be a piss take surely?

Not to accept a democratic referendum result is one thing, but to suggest that if we have a second referendum in which older people who are likely to vote in a certain way should have obstacles placed in their way at the polling booth in order to get the result you want takes the breath away.

• Nigelb said:

Nah, pineapple on pizza is mingin'

Sympathies on the norovirus.

That was then, this is now. The point is that Obama made a comment that pissed off a lot of people at a crucial time in the campaign. The fact we now have Trump is irrelevant to that point.

LOL

He was right, then and now, which seems to upset you.

And when May made a comment that pissed off a lot of people (citizens of nowhere), somehow you don't seem as concerned.

• Cyclefree said:

Mr. Mark, my sympathy.

Report said that the new Italian government will stop payments to Brussels and of course the migrant crisis is a huge problem. Also as far as I am aware crime and the mafia are endemic in Italy, particularly in the south, so no doubt politicians have a big problem with corruption
    edited March 2018
    Cyclefree said:

Completely off topic: I assume that Hollywood stars have money and stylist and their pick of gowns. And yet they dress SO badly - utter eyesores most of them. No elegance or style. They may as well have walked naked with their body covered in glue into a cupboard of clothes. The results could hardly have been worse.

Claws being worn on the outside this season I see....

DavidL said:

Elliot said:

It is, but

1) The Dems are piling up voters in the wrong places. Winning California by 30% is the same as winning it by half a per cent.

2) The GOP are winning the smaller states, and with the two top electoral college vote gives them a disproportionate boost. For every California 2 up boost, there's places like Wyoming, The Dakotas, Alaska to help the GOP which also get the 2 up boost.
    Yep. The senate is moving away from the Dems, too, and they're fixed at 2 per state regardless of pop size.
  • brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    stevef said:

Not to accept a democratic referendum result is one thing, but to suggest that if we have a second referendum in which older people who are likely to vote in a certain way should have obstacles placed in their way at the polling booth in order to get the result you want takes the breath away.

Those older people being the same ones who in 1975 voted for us to stay in the EU? But apparently no one ever changes their views as they get older - that's why we have permanent majority Labour Green coalition governments isn't it?!
    Cyclefree said:

Last week our bins were not collected because of the snow. (My milkman still managed to reach the wilds of West Hampstead, though - and in the middle of the night - so how a bloody great refuse van couldn't beats me.)

We were all instructed to keep the bins out on the street as they would be collected over the weekend - a normal wintry weekend with no snow or rain and not, frankly, that cold. Monday pm: still not collected.

I'm leaving mine out until Friday, the next scheduled collection day. Only a minor irritation in the grand scheme of things but still annoying that something as basic as this cannot be done efficiently. Still the Tories are non-existent on the council and the Lib Dems have been all but wiped out so we're stuck with the Labour council.
    Ours weren’t collected Wednesday, as scheduled, but was on Friday, and the waste food bin on Saturday. Tory controlled council which operates its own rubbish service.

Haven’t need to check the bottle bank, althouigh it’s getting close!
    edited March 2018
    Scott_P said:

That was then, this is now. The point is that Obama made a comment that pissed off a lot of people at a crucial time in the campaign. The fact we now have Trump is irrelevant to that point.

LOL

He was right, then and now, which seems to upset you.

And when May made a comment that pissed off a lot of people (citizens of nowhere), somehow you don't seem as concerned.

I am stating a fact in relation to the argument down thread over how prominent figures interventions in the EU referendum campaign played out. My personal opinion is irrelevant.

It is like saying well the Tories were right to come up with the dementia tax, we need to better fund elderly care...they might be, but it killed their GE campaign.

As for my feeling as Kim Jong May, you will be hard pressed to find many positive postings about her.
  • Elliot said:

At what point do the Dems rise up in (righteous) anger? Especially as on those figues they’ll probably control Congress.
    There is talk of this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Popular_Vote_Interstate_Compact

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Are you mad Richard ?!

The reason bin collections are such a hot topic is because, if you live in a reasonable area and don’t have children, it’s literally the only positive thing you ever see in exchange for your council tax. They’re some very expensive bin collections!
  • rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,905

DavidL said:

Elliot said:

It is, but

At some point the Dems are going to crack Texas.
    Then how can the Republicans win the electoral college?
    DavidL said:

Elliot said:

That's not the issue for the Democrats, indeed I did some calculations.

If the electoral college was based precisely on population, Trump would have won 303 - 235.

California should be worth 65 ECVs and New York 34, but Texas would also be worth 45, and Florida 33.

Now Wyoming should only be worth 1 ECV, but so should DC and Hawaii, Rhode Island are both over-represented.

The problem is that the margins in California and the west coast are hugely in favour of the Democrats whereas Texas is much much closer and so the GOP vote is much more efficient.
  • stevefstevef Posts: 1,044
    brendan16 said:

stevef said:

Those older people being the same ones who in 1975 voted for us to stay in the EU? But apparently no one ever changes their views as they get older - that's why we have permanent majority Labour Green coalition governments isn't it?!
    Whats that got to do with it? Are remoaners on this site seriously suggesting gerrymandering the result of a second referendum by making it more difficult for older people to vote?
    Seriously?
This discussion has been closed.