Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » For all TMay’s travails she continues to have a clear lead ove

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited March 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » For all TMay’s travails she continues to have a clear lead over Corbyn as “best PM”

Back in June, after Corbyn’s LAB got 4 seats closer to the Tory MP total than Gordon Brown’s party seven years earlier, there was a massive euphoria around the Labour leader. He could do no wrong and was reported to have said he expected to be PM by last Christmas. That, of course, didn’t happen and he then revised that to Christmas 2018.

Read the full story here

Comments

• NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,574
    edited March 2018
    First ?

And maintaining a precarious lead over don't know.
  • Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited March 2018
    But May is apparently going to be ditched before the next election, in favour of someone who is either no better than her, or quite possibly even worse (unless they can get Ruth Davidson eligible somehow).

Did the BES polling a few weeks ago not confirm that people thought Labour had the "best policies" at last year's election, and that the party leaders was the only aspect that put the Tories in front?
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Danny565 said:

But May is apparently going to be ditched before the next election, in favour of someone who is either no better than her, or quite possibly even worse (unless they can get Ruth Davidson eligible somehow).

I don't see anyone who could be worse. At the very least the next leader will bother to turn up to the TV debates.

Danny565 said:

I don't see anyone who could be worse. At the very least the next leader will bother to turn up to the TV debates.
    Who precisely do you think would be better, and why, apart from Davidson (and perhaps Boris, who to be fair is a complete wildcard who could go either way).

Also, I'm not entirely sure May skipping the debates was as much of a mistake as people say. Yes, it made her look chicken, but that's arguably better than her actually taking part in the debates, having a car-crash, and providing all sorts of "viral" clips that would've damaged her.
  • Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    edited March 2018
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

Who precisely do you think would be better, and why, apart from Davidson (and perhaps Boris, who to be fair is a complete wildcard who could go either way).

Also, I'm not entirely sure May skipping the debates was as much of a mistake as people say. Yes, it made her look chicken, but that's arguably better than her actually taking part in the debates, having a car-crash, and providing all sorts of "viral" clips that would've damaged her.
    Absolutely anyone who bothers to campaign, bothers to turn up to the debates, bothers to look like they want to speak to voters, bothers to look like they're even bothered ...

... anyone who does any of that will be better than May. Which is basically anyone.

Its not just as if skipping the debates was the only mistake. May's mistake was total and overwhelming hubris. What positive story did she have to tell in the manifesto?
  • RhubarbRhubarb Posts: 359
    edited March 2018
    Mortimer said:
    Typo.

'ICM Unlimited interviewed a representative online sample of 2,030 adults aged 18+ on 2 to 4 March 2018. Interviews were conducted across the country and the results have been weighted to the profile of all adults. ICM is a member of the British Polling Council and abides by its rules.' - Guardian liveblog.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,398
    Scott_P said:
    So "hangers-on refuse free tickets" then.
  • MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,921
    Rhubarb said:

Mortimer said:
    Typo.

'ICM Unlimited interviewed a representative online sample of 2,030 adults aged 18+ on 2 to 4 March 2018. Interviews were conducted across the country and the results have been weighted to the profile of all adults. ICM is a member of the British Polling Council and abides by its rules.' - Guardian liveblog.
    Ta!

Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

Absolutely anyone who bothers to campaign, bothers to turn up to the debates, bothers to look like they want to speak to voters, bothers to look like they're even bothered ...

... anyone who does any of that will be better than May. Which is basically anyone.
    Such as who specifically....?

This reminds me a lot of Labour between 2007 and 2015. When Gordon Brown was in, we heard that "anyone" would be better than him, until Ed Miliband showed that wasn't the case. Then during Miliband's time, we heard that "anyone" would be better than him, until the selection of "moderate" candidates in the 2015 contest showed that also wasn't the case. It's very easy to just rubbish the incumbent and think "anyone" would do better, but often rather harder to think of someone specifically.
  • TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    It's not now Labour need be worried about. It's a year's time. That's when oppositions that are going to win move ahead, at latest.
  • BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191
    Anorak said:
    Fully expect this to continue and Corbyn best PM to gradually drop away.
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @rachelkennedy84: Defence Science and Technlogy Labs at Porton Down in Wiltshire confirm they're testing samples of the substance thought to have made #SergeiSkripal and daughter critically ill. Not confirmed what substance is #Salisbury
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Good afternoon, everyone.

I'd call that small rather than clear, but there we are.
  • SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

Anorak said:
    Fully expect this to continue and Corbyn best PM to gradually drop away.
    For one's own sanity the words "Best PM" and "Jeremy Corbyn" should never be uttered together.

Its the same principle as never mentioning "Gordon Brown" and "economic genius" in the same sentence.
  • MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,921
    Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

Such as who specifically....?

This reminds me a lot of Labour between 2007 and 2015. When Gordon Brown was in, we heard that "anyone" would be better than him, until Ed Miliband showed that wasn't the case. Then during Miliband's time, we heard that "anyone" would be better than him, until the selection of "moderate" candidates in the 2015 contest showed that also wasn't the case. It's very easy to just rubbish the incumbent and think "anyone" would do better, but often rather harder to think of someone specifically.
    I'm firmly of the opinion that May stays until an obvious successor emerges. At the moment, that person hasn't emerged.
  • rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,881
    Danny565 said:

Yes - there's no way of knowing really.
    A disastrous performance would surely have been worse than simply not showing up.

At the time - she was so far ahead I can totally understand the logic (even if I hate the decision on a principles basis).

• DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,765
    A 6% lead over Jeremy Corbyn, by far the most unqualified and inept politician put forward by any major party since I really can't remember when? Who were they canvassing, Labour MPs?
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,787
    rkrkrk said:

Danny565 said:

A disastrous performance would surely have been worse than simply not showing up.

At the time - she was so far ahead I can totally understand the logic (even if I hate the decision on a principles basis).
    May doesn't like to be put on the spot when she needs to go beyond her usual script. Yesterday when she was answering questions about the Irish border there was a hint of the "nothing has changed" tetchiness.
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited March 2018
    DavidL said:

A 6% lead over Jeremy Corbyn, by far the most unqualified and inept politician put forward by any major party since I really can't remember when? Who were they canvassing, Labour MPs?

No, Corbyn would have got much worse ratings if they'd asked Labour MPs.
  • sarissasarissa Posts: 1,749
    Danny565 said:

Presumably her new approach will be to bake a better cake, eat it and still have it.

F1: Tatiana Calderon named as Sauber's test driver this year. She's a Colombian... not sure if we've ever had a Colombian race driver before, though. Wouldn't be surprising.
  • oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    rkrkrk said:

Danny565 said:

And we have to remember that Corbyn did one of his cynical u-turns after first saying that he wouldn't attend a debate without May and then saying he would.
  • A year ago she had a 34% lead over Corbyn.

She really did shit the bed.

In the run up to the 2015 general election Dave had a 15% lead over Ed which is even more impressive when it wasn’t a binary choice question.
  • The memories of Tory MPs won’t fade though.
    The 1% Tory lead is down from a 16% lead in the ICM poll this week last year :D

(Interestingly though, the Tories are only down 1 point from the 44% they got this time last year - it's Labour massively up from 28% that's made the difference.)
    Mr. Eagles, absolutely. It was a masterclass in ****ing up a seemingly un****upable position. At least at Cannae the Romans were facing a military genius. May was defeated by her own ambush.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517

F1: Tatiana Calderon named as Sauber's test driver this year. She's a Colombian... not sure if we've ever had a Colombian race driver before, though. Wouldn't be surprising.

Juan Pablo Montoya. he won 7 GP, but was a little (ahem) tetchy with his teams. Like him more since he left F1 and went racing in the US than I did before.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540

rkrkrk said:

Danny565 said:

And we have to remember that Corbyn did one of his cynical u-turns after first saying that he wouldn't attend a debate without May and then saying he would.
    Yes. At the last minute.

If she had debated she would have been criticised for 'jumping when the LotO' said so.....not showing leadership by refusing to debate......doing what the man told her to and so on and so on......meanwhile she emerges from the BREXIT speeches ahead of Corbyn and his cunning stunt.....
  • Mr. Eagles, absolutely. It was a masterclass in ****ing up a seemingly un****upable position. At least at Cannae the Romans were facing a military genius. May was defeated by her own ambush.

In the piece I’m doing for Sunday I compare Mrs May to Basil II except she blinded her own side.
  • midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112

rkrkrk said:

Danny565 said:

And calling the election wasn't a cynical u-turn?
    I've just seen a feature on TV about Theresa May:

"Pro Performance"

"New Style, New Swagger"

Impressive!

Ah, sorry no - my mistake. It wasn't Theresa May, it was an ad for TRESemme.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274

rkrkrk said:

Danny565 said:

Yes. At the last minute.

If she had debated she would have been criticised for 'jumping when the LotO' said so.....not showing leadership by refusing to debate......doing what the man told her to and so on and so on......meanwhile she emerges from the BREXIT speeches ahead of Corbyn and his cunning stunt.....
    Again poor tactics, Cameron initially said no but they continue to negotiate until they got to a format that was very low risk. Shame he wasn’t as crafty with the EU.
  • AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621

Juan Pablo Montoya. he won 7 GP, but was a little (ahem) tetchy with his teams. Like him more since he left F1 and went racing in the US than I did before.
    This is a pretty short wiki list. One of the three didn't get a licence in time, so never actually raced in anger.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formula_One_drivers_from_Colombia

I've just seen a feature on TV about Theresa May:

"Pro Performance"

"New Style, New Swagger"

Impressive!

Ah, sorry no - my mistake. It wasn't Theresa May, it was an ad for TRESemme.

I can only hope your day job is tolerable.
    midwinter said:

rkrkrk said:

Danny565 said:

It was an attempt to use very favourable polling data as a way to deal with a difficult set of negotiations. Yes, it failed and failed badly. But if it weren't for the FTPA, it would just have been part of the cut and thrust of normal politics. Seeking a mandate, blah blah blah

Any PM looking at that data would have been tempted to do the same thing - particularly when the road ahead was looking so difficult to navigate.

Was it cynical? maybe. Was it understandable under the circumstances? yes. Did it work? Obviously not.
    F1: was a hydraulic pressure for Vandoorne's latest stoppage.
    Mr. Jessop, ah, I didn't know Montoya was from there. Bit of a blind spot :p
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,964
    edited March 2018

midwinter said:

rkrkrk said:

Danny565 said:

It was an attempt to use very favourable polling data as a way to deal with a difficult set of negotiations. Yes, it failed and failed badly. But if it weren't for the FTPA, it would just have been part of the cut and thrust of normal politics. Seeking a mandate, blah blah blah

Any PM looking at that data would have been tempted to do the same thing - particularly when the road ahead was looking so difficult to navigate.

Was it cynical? maybe. Was it understandable under the circumstances? yes. Did it work? Obviously not.
    The FTPA is a red herring.

Mrs May should remember what happened to the last mandateless PM who promised no snap election then ruined their reputation when they came close to calling a snap election.

I don’t think this has been shared on PB before but this is what one of Gordon Brown’s ministers wrote at the time.

https://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/conference/2007/09/labour-majority-increase
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614

Scott_P said:
    So "hangers-on refuse free tickets" then.
    Can’t image that our security services would be too enamoured with a whole bunch of VIPs going to Russia anyway. They’re going to have enough trouble with keeping all the fans safe.

F1: was a hydraulic pressure for Vandoorne's latest stoppage.

That’s a few integration issues they’ve had now with the Renault. Hopefully just teething problems, the factory team and RB seem to be okay from a reliability standpoint.

I mentioned her as the most promising female driver around last year. Got a couple of points finishes in GP3. Probably not really good enough for an F1 test drive, but has money and there’s a marketing upside of running a woman driver.
  • ElliotElliot Posts: 1,516
    Danny565 said:

As long as the Tories don't lose their heads, her replacement willl come in after Brexit has been finalised and won't have as many Remainers holding a grudge against him or her. They can also have someone younger and more dynamic seeming vs Corbyn.
    Elliot said:

As long as the Tories don't lose their heads, her replacement willl come in after Brexit has been finalised

10 more years...
    Mr. Sandpit, Verstappen just stopped 10 minutes ago :p
  • logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,669
    Trump could help him out even though "Donald Trump has fallen 222 places on the Forbes annual Rich List"
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43302864

rkrkrk said:

Danny565 said:

Cynical but effective.

Labour didn’t name their attendee until after the Tories named Rudd a couple of days out, then announced with about four hours to go that it would be Corbyn. By that time the PM was miles away and wouldn’t have had time to get back and prepare. Unlike the LotO, the PM can’t change her schedule at short notice without a whole pile of hassle.

Mr. Sandpit, Verstappen just stopped 10 minutes ago :p

LOL, spoke to soon!
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812
    So,

We seem to have an attempted assassination on British soil by the Russians, and are on the eve of a trade war with the Americans.

“I’m just going outside the EU. I may be some time.”
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,275
    Sandpit said:

rkrkrk said:

Danny565 said:

Cynical but effective.

Labour didn’t name their attendee until after the Tories named Rudd a couple of days out, then announced with about four hours to go that it would be Corbyn. By that time the PM was miles away and wouldn’t have had time to get back and prepare. Unlike the LotO, the PM can’t change her schedule at short notice without a whole pile of hassle.
    What tosh! Of course she could have changed her schedule and attended. I suspect two things prevented her: 1. She's just no good at that thinking-on-your-feet sort of thing. 2. It sould have looked like she was dancing to Corbyn's tune.
  • YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    Scott_P said:

Elliot said:

As long as the Tories don't lose their heads, her replacement willl come in after Brexit has been finalised

10 more years...
    That is optimistic .
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

Sandpit said:

rkrkrk said:

Danny565 said:

Cynical but effective.

What tosh! Of course she could have changed her schedule and attended. I suspect two things prevented her: 1. She's just no good at that thinking-on-your-feet sort of thing. 2. It sould have looked like she was dancing to Corbyn's tune.
    The preparation point is valid though.
  • Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Sandpit said:
    Three 50/1s = 16/1. His re-election is about 2/1. So you're essentially taking around 5/1 that he goes during (most of) his second term, having been popular enough to be re-elected (possibly having already seen off impeachment?). It's probably fair enough, but not screaming value.
    @Andrew_Adonis: I have tabled amendment to EU Withdrawal Bill to stop repeal of 2011 European Union Act, which requires referendums on EU treaty changes. Lawyers think 2011 Act may require referendum on Mrs May’s withdrawal treaty, which is why HMG trying to repeal it without anyone noticing!

Sandpit said:

rkrkrk said:

Danny565 said:

Cynical but effective.

The debate was in Cambridge, and from memory the PM was in the West Country when Corbyn announced he would be there. She’d have needed a military helicopter to have made it, obviously hadn’t prepared for the debate, and as you say would have been seen as dancing to Corbyn’s tune. Those who protect her might have had something to say about it too.
    edited March 2018
    Sandpit said:

rkrkrk said:

Danny565 said:

Cynical but effective.

Maybe

But his recent u-turn was ineffective. If he had got it right and delivered something of substance, then he could have changed the dynamic. But in the end, he came out with an empty soundbite that no-one could really explain or understand.
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

rkrkrk said:

Danny565 said:

Cynical but effective.

The debate was in Cambridge, and from memory the PM was in the West Country when Corbyn announced he would be there. She’d have needed a military helicopter to have made it, obviously hadn’t prepared for the debate, and as you say would have been seen as dancing to Corbyn’s tune. Those who protect her might have had something to say about it too.
    1. If she had just agreed to attend in the first place then she wouldn't have had a problem.

2. If her team hadn't considered Jezza deciding to attend and then what to do they deserve to be sacked.

(2 may contain some irony)
    Scott_P said:

@Andrew_Adonis: I have tabled amendment to EU Withdrawal Bill to stop repeal of 2011 European Union Act, which requires referendums on EU treaty changes. Lawyers think 2011 Act may require referendum on Mrs May’s withdrawal treaty, which is why HMG trying to repeal it without anyone noticing!

The man is utterly deluded.
  • philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    Scott_P said:
    And this is news in some obscure universe where Ellesmere Port hasn't had a history of immanent closure threats from GM, I suppose.
  • philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

Scott_P said:

A bit insulting to the deluded.

Scott_P said:

Wait, isn't Parliament fully sovereign? :D

Sandpit said:
    Three 50/1s = 16/1. His re-election is about 2/1. So you're essentially taking around 5/1 that he goes during (most of) his second term, having been popular enough to be re-elected (possibly having already seen off impeachment?). It's probably fair enough, but not screaming value.
    I’ve played the markets on him leaving early quite well, and have a feeling that with his tax plans in effect he’ll have a good shot at re-election. There’s the risk of him resigning due to health or boredom, or getting primaried though. 16s are not massive value but probably still reasonable bets for beer money.
    edited March 2018

Sandpit said:
    Given his age by then, what would be the actuarial probability, I wonder.

EDIT: about 8% chance he's going to kark it in those three years, according to US Social Security life table.
  • ElliotElliot Posts: 1,516

So,

We seem to have an attempted assassination on British soil by the Russians, and are on the eve of a trade war with the Americans.

Not a good time to put an anti-Western activist as PM.

Scott_P said:

Yes it's a concern. He should realise the purpose of repealing the 2011 Act is so that our re-accession and adoption of the Euro can be done without a referendum. ;)
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,124

Scott_P said:

I've said before he reminds me of James Chapman - remember him?
    Elliot said:

So,

For the time being his position is safe. Our best hope is that Theresa May can hold it all together and make all the negative forces cancel each other out.
    Even worse, a pound shop Alex Salmond.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

So,

Scott forced him to leave - made it quite clear he would be put to sleep if he stayed
    edited March 2018

Elliot said:

So,

For the time being his position is safe. Our best hope is that Theresa May can hold it all together and make all the negative forces cancel each other out.
    Like Dennis Hopper and the Russian Dynamite Death Chair Act. Which is a thing which actually happened, to my ongoing surprise.

Description (video broken): https://dangerousminds.net/comments/dennis_hopper_and_his
    Video: http://video.houstonchronicle.com/Dennis-Hopper-performs-the-Russian-Dynamite-Death-Chair-Act-30871511
    Charles said:

So,

Scott forced him to leave - made it quite clear he would be put to sleep if he stayed
    I am sure @Scott_P wouldn't do such a thing.
    Scott_P said:

twitter.com/joncstone/status/971057173445906432

Would be more sensational if that list of MEPs contained some leavers.
    Yorkcity said:
    I would question the statement that they are identical. The Tory proposal is that developers lose planning permission, Labour were talking about having the land seized.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    edited March 2018
    philiph said:

Scott_P said:
    And this is news in some obscure universe where Ellesmere Port hasn't had a history of immanent closure threats from GM, I suppose.
    and where Vauxhall sales haven't nose dived over the past few years as people spend their £200 a month on a BMW / Audi lease instead

Edit to add I fully expect the plant to be closed with Brexit blamed as Peugeot will close the easiest plant to close...
  • basicbridgebasicbridge Posts: 674
    The latest ICM poll for The Guardian suggests, in addition, that Corbyn's pledge on the Customs Union has been a tactical error.

That wont go down well with the legion of LD remainers on this site.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,275
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

rkrkrk said:

Danny565 said:

Cynical but effective.

Well, she was certainly well and truly outmanoeuvered. Rudd did ok though IIRC.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    Corbyn is hekped by the fact we have a parliamentary and not presidential system.

For example if we had a presidential system Callaghan may have beaten Thatcher in 1979
    Its rather weird to see your old local pub and a restaurant you’ve been in dozens of times in the news, having been closed by a Russian assassination attempt. Both would have been pretty busy on a Sunday afternoon, so the lack of any other members of the public being in hospital is a good sign.

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

rkrkrk said:

Danny565 said:

Cynical but effective.

Well, she was certainly well and truly outmanoeuvered. Rudd did ok though IIRC.
    Agreed, she was completely outmanoeuvred. Rudd was OK, but the biggest talking point of the night was that the PM wasn’t there.
    edited March 2018
    Peter Kellner on the Irish Border question. Admirably clear, and with data on the oft-cited Norway-Sweden and US-Canada borders (both of which are a long way from being frictionless).
    http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/irish-hard-border-soft-brexit-technology-theresa-may-a8242461.html

"But what is clear is that the “Smart Border 2.0” proposals do involve physical infrastructure and border guards."
This discussion has been closed.