Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » YouGov polling on reports of sexual harassment: The political,

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited March 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » YouGov polling on reports of sexual harassment: The political, Brexit and gender divide

Full details from the poll, published today, can be found here

Read the full story here

Comments

• ElliotElliot Posts: 1,516
    edited March 2018
    Ishmael_Z said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43337951

While our attention is misdirected Eastwards, the real villain goes to work...

Trump is terrible, but suggesting he's as bad as Putin is insane. The left has lost its mind.

And that's before we get to the conspiracy theory part of your comment...
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    Second :(
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,909
    3rd like the LDs
  • MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

3rd like the LDs

At least that's better than 4th
  • ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,920
    edited March 2018
    Who on earth wrote that second option? That the media likes to sensationalise issues where sex is involved is surely beyond dispute - but it does not then follow that sexual harassment is a problem that has been exaggerated and matters less than has been made out. In other words it is quite possible to discern the quality of lurid prurience in the way the doings of the abominable Weinstein have been reported, without being any the less horrified by the events themselves.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    Scott_P said:

twitter.com/adambertocci/status/971850276700377088

I wonder who will be the first to proclaim "Ah, victory" :smiley:
  • OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469
    Copied from previous thread:

Too many here, have very little understanding of the Cold War. Quite honestly, that is a good thing because they were born or were too young after the collapse of the CCCP, the Berlin Wall and many other symptoms of national paranoia. Unfortunately, they are also not aware of the history. May I humbly suggest some of the following authors and books to get some idea of what it was like (and could I request others of the period, from those who understand):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_le_Carré
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Smiley

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Price
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Elliot said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Trump is terrible, but suggesting he's as bad as Putin is insane. The left has lost its mind.

I was not of the left, on most metrics, last time I looked, and my comment was very slightly <100% serious.

3rd like the LDs

At least that's better than 4th
    Hey, Mike. May the 4th be with you!
    OchEye said:

Too many here, have very little understanding of the Cold War. Quite honestly, that is a good thing because they were born or were too young after the collapse of the CCCP, the Berlin Wall and many other symptoms of national paranoia. Unfortunately, they are also not aware of the history. May I humbly suggest some of the following authors and books to get some idea of what it was like (and could I request others of the period, from those who understand):

Agreed. I always think that Anthony Price is under-rated
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,763

Who on earth wrote that second option? That the media likes to sensationalise issues where sex is involved is surely beyond dispute - but it does not then follow that sexual harassment is a problem that has been exaggerated and matters less than has been made out. In other words it is quite possible to discern the quality of lurid prurience in the way the doings of the abominable Weinstein have been reported, without being any the less horrified by the events themselves.

I'd say that both statements are true, rather than one ruling out the other.

It's somewhat similar to child sexual abuse. It is a real problem in all societies, and at the same time, many claims of child sexual abuse are unfounded and/or sensationalist.
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812
    So Trump has formally signed off the tariffs, which apply to US.

Do you rememver, just 48 hours ago, when some were chortling that this would teach those pesky Germans?
  • HistorianHistorian Posts: 23
    Again we have a very biased subtle attack on leavers. The finding of this poll are interpreted and presented as leavers per se having a poor attitude towards sexual harrassment as if somehow Brexit will lead to women being groped like never before.

Sexual harrassment and Brexit are therefore conflated misleadingly-as part of the ongoing propaganda against leavers.

The reality is that older people (who just happen to be leavers in larger numbers than the rest of the population) are less concerned about sexual harrassment because when they were younger it was more socially acceptable.

Nothing to do with Brexit at all

• FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Elliot said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Exactly - scratches head in bemusement
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,763
    Historian said:

Again we have a very biased subtle attack on leavers. The finding of this poll are interpreted and presented as leavers per se having a poor attitude towards sexual harrassment as if somehow Brexit will lead to women being groped like never before.

Sexual harrassment and Brexit are therefore conflated misleadingly-as part of the ongoing propaganda against leavers.

The reality is that older people (who just happen to be leavers in larger numbers than the rest of the population) are less concerned about sexual harrassment because when they were younger it was more socially acceptable.

Reading the details of the poll, it actually looks as if older people are a bit more bothered about sexual harassment/inequality than younger people, but the differences across ages and classes are not very great.
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Floater said:

Elliot said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Exactly - scratches head in bemusement
    Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ellen Ripley.

Do you rememver, just 48 hours ago, when some were chortling that this would teach those pesky Germans?

All I remember is people agreeing a trade war would be bad.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,557

OchEye said:

Agreed. I always think that Anthony Price is under-rated
    Some of his books were quote good, but he had a tendency towards foolish romanticisation. And an obsession with WWII rather than the Cold War itself.

I preferred Brian Fremantle's Charlie Muffin books.

OchEye said:

Too many here, have very little understanding of the Cold War. Quite honestly, that is a good thing because they were born or were too young after the collapse of the CCCP, the Berlin Wall and many other symptoms of national paranoia...

Do you mean symptoms - or symbols ?
    Though neither make a huge amount of sense in the context.

• rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,766
    edited March 2018

If the EU has any sense - which it probably does not - it will ignore the tariffs, and enjoy the inevitable rise in car exports that is the consequence of the Americans government having priced local firms out of the market.

(Any US car maker undecided between Alabama and Mexico for their next car plant now knows that if they choose Mexico, they will avoid steel tariffs, so it is almost inevitable that these tariffs will also reduce investment in the US auto industry).
    Historian said:

If the cap fits then wear it. If you don't like coming here you don't have to.

• rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    rcs1000 said:

If the EU has any sense - which it probably does not - it will ignore the tariffs, and enjoy the inevitable rise in car exports that is the consequence of the Americans government having priced local firms out of the market.

(Any US car maker undecided between Alabama and Mexico for their next car plant now knows that if they choose Mexico, they will avoid steel tariffs, so it is almost inevitable that these tariffs will also reduce investment in the US auto industry).
    Except that they would logically expect Trump to impose similar tariffs on the cars they manufacture in Mexico.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,841

It affects the US the most to be perfectly frank.
  • Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    edited March 2018
    Apparently there is going to be some kind of internationally newsworthy announcement by South Korea about midnight our time.

Edit: This is according to Donald Trump....
    rcs1000 said:

I think you know the answer to that from our Brexit negotiations - there are 'principles at stake'. So don't expect such restraint.

rpjs said:

rcs1000 said:

Except that they would logically expect Trump to impose similar tariffs on the cars they manufacture in Mexico.
    The inevitable next step is that the US government will increase the tariffs on cars to compensate for the fact that he's just made European, Mexican, Japanese and Canadian cars relatively cheaper.

At that point the real risk of a trade war kicks off.
    edited March 2018
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

I think you know the answer to that from our Brexit negotiations - there are 'principles at stake'. So don't expect such restraint.

Ultimately, the US (like the UK) runs a trade deficit because its population spends too much and saves too little.

A trade deficit is the excess of consumption over production.

The only way to close a trade deficit is is to reduce domestic consumption.

Yet Donald Trump's policies attempt to encourage a domestic spending boom, which can only increase the trade deficit. The Donald is likely, therefore, to be continually frustrated by the fact that his tariffs fail to close the trade gap.

• FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,052

Historian said:

If the cap fits then wear it. If you don't like coming here you don't have to.

To be fair the traits of Tory voting, Male identification, Brexit voting and age are all correlated, so it is hard to tease out the driver. Males under 40 had views similar to females under 40, so appears not to be the driver so much as the other factors.

The discussion on here re the Presidents Club illustrated this point quite well at a micro level.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,695
    Scott_P said:
    Is The Donald Darth Sidious though? :D
    edited March 2018
    Sorry, did I just read the headline of the last thread correctly?

Get real. The vast majority of the public neither know or care about some spending overshoot. Its the preserve of politicos who believe who believe that the UK leaving the EU is some kind of life or death struggle. It isn't.

If, especially given recent events, someone delves into the sources financing of some of the more prominent leave campaigners and campaigns, you might have something slightly more concerning to the masses. Heres looking at you, Moldovan bank.
    GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    TSE:[distressed] What have I done?

Darth Gideon (aka Chancellor Osborne): You are fulfilling your destiny, TSE. Become my apprentice. Learn to use the Daft Side of the Force. There's no turning back now.

TSE: I will do whatever you ask. Just help me save Theresa's political career. I can't live without her. If she resigns, I don't know what I will do regarding "May is crap" threads!

Darth Gideon: To cheat political osbcurity is a power only one has achieved through centuries of the study of the Force. But if we work together, I know we can discover the secret to eternal AV Threads!

TSE: I pledge myself to your teachings. To the ways of the REMAIN Campaign.

Darth Gideon: Good. Good! The Force is strong with you, TSE. A powerful REMAINER you will become. Henceforth, you shall be known as Darth... Eagles.

TSE: Thank you... my Master.

Darth Gideon: Lord Eagles... rise.
  • brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    edited March 2018
    Some polling today from the US has the Democrats losing five of their existing Senate seats in November's mid terms - Missouri, North Dakota, Montana, Indiana, and West Virginia. Early days - and most states haven't yet picked their candidates for the Republicans - but it was always a big ask for the Dems to retake the senate when they are defending 24 of the 33 seats up.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/08/democrats-heading-toward-big-losses-in-midterm-senate-elections-polls.html
    rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Ultimately, the US (like the UK) runs a trade deficit because its population spends too much and saves too little.

Yet Donald Trump's policies attempt to encourage a domestic spending boom, which can only increase the trade deficit. The Donald is likely, therefore, to be continually frustrated by the fact that his tariffs fail to close the trade gap.

Trump is a guy who thinks VAT is a trade barrier (as do his un resigned economic advisers). And he has been over borrowed almost his entire life.

I don't think your point of view is likely to get much traction.

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    TSE:[distressed] What have I done?

Darth Gideon (aka Chancellor Osborne): You are fulfilling your destiny, TSE. Become my apprentice. Learn to use the Daft Side of the Force. There's no turning back now.

TSE: I will do whatever you ask. Just help me save Theresa's political career. I can't live without her. If she resigns, I don't know what I will do regarding "May is crap" threads!

Darth Gideon: To cheat political osbcurity is a power only one has achieved through centuries of the study of the Force. But if we work together, I know we can discover the secret to eternal AV Threads!

TSE: I pledge myself to your teachings. To the ways of the REMAIN Campaign.

Darth Gideon: Good. Good! The Force is strong with you, TSE. A powerful REMAINER you will become. Henceforth, you shall be known as Darth... Eagles.

TSE: Thank you... my Master.

Darth Gideon: Lord Eagles... rise.
    :D
    A second trial date for Manafort, this time July:
    https://www.politico.com/story/2018/03/08/judge-in-virginia-schedules-manafort-trial-on-bank-tax-charges-for-july-10-448114?lo=ap_b1

So likely to provide interesting news for four solid months ahead of the midterms...
  • not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,340
    edited March 2018
    I note the last time U.S.A. started imposing tariff's there was a world within ten years...

Not a good omen perhaps?
    LOl! That is quite a funny line. :D
    rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

If the EU has any sense -.

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Saving only becomes worthwhile when interest rates exceed inflation rates, when the reverse is true, then it is better to spend before the value decreases...
    edited March 2018
    Nixon-China

Trump-North Korea

We'll know at midnight if its an apt comparison.

Edit: Probably not
    Elliot said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Trump is insane, Putin unfortunately is too sane....
    GIN1138 said:

I note the last time U.S.A. started imposing tariff's there was a world within ten years...

Not a good omen perhaps?

GIN1138 said:

Not a good omen perhaps?

GIN1138 said:

Not a good omen perhaps?

Except if you have shares in weapons manufacturers...
    OchEye said:

Elliot said:

Ishmael_Z said:

And Trump incompetent, Putin not:
    https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/03/trump-is-following-the-same-playbook-as-other-authoritarian-populists-hes-just-much-worse-at-it.html?
  • MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,921
    Did someone actually tip Pidcock recently for future Labour leader recently - she seems to be waffling away on QT. Makes Corbyn sound pretty cogent and competent.
    GIN1138 said:

Not a good omen perhaps?

The thought had crossed my mind - this is like the 30's in a number of ways
    edited March 2018
    Good snark - but it's not as though the EU doesn't have its own similar self serving demands of us.

Nigelb said:

OchEye said:

Too many here, have very little understanding of the Cold War. Quite honestly, that is a good thing because they were born or were too young after the collapse of the CCCP, the Berlin Wall and many other symptoms of national paranoia...

Symptoms, the symbols are still being held onto by a significant minority against all common sense. There are still some in the UK who believe we still have an empire on which the sun never sets...
    Nigelb said:

OchEye said:

Elliot said:

Ishmael_Z said:

And Trump incompetent, Putin not:
    https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/03/trump-is-following-the-same-playbook-as-other-authoritarian-populists-hes-just-much-worse-at-it.html?
    +1
    OchEye said:

Nigelb said:

OchEye said:

Symptoms, the symbols are still being held onto by a significant minority against all common sense. There are still some in the UK who believe we still have an empire on which the sun never sets...
    Will the sun ever set on the EU?
  • MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,921
    Mortimer said:

Did someone actually tip Pidcock recently for future Labour leader recently - she seems to be waffling away on QT. Makes Corbyn sound pretty cogent and competent.

Gosh, she is getting worse.
    Nigelb said:

A second trial date for Manafort, this time July:
    https://www.politico.com/story/2018/03/08/judge-in-virginia-schedules-manafort-trial-on-bank-tax-charges-for-july-10-448114?lo=ap_b1

So likely to provide interesting news for four solid months ahead of the midterms...

The net is closing on The Donald,

https://www.salon.com/2018/03/01/beware-president-trump-robert-mueller-is-just-getting-started/
    OchEye said:

Nigelb said:

OchEye said:

Yes, sorry. Rereading it makes more sense... I was wondering how the CCCP was a symptom.

Scott_P said:
    For some time I thought Paris was the same sex as Paris Hilton, and I still cannot pronounce his surname...

OchEye said:

Nigelb said:

OchEye said:

Will the sun ever set on the EU?
    Probably, about the time it joins NAFTA, ASEAN, Africa and South America in a world trade organisation....
    Y0kel said:

Nixon-China

Trump-North Korea

Another edit: Rumour has it it might be an apt comparison.
    Nigelb said:

OchEye said:

Nigelb said:

OchEye said:

Yes, sorry. Rereading it makes more sense... I was wondering how the CCCP was a symptom.

Back in the USSR...
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,786
    Y0kel said:

Y0kel said:

Nixon-China

Trump-North Korea

https://twitter.com/JenGriffinFNC/status/971887659315613696
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263
    edited March 2018
    Y0kel said:

Y0kel said:

Nixon-China

Trump-North Korea

Seems logical. He likes to tweet surprises - not much point in another North Korea is Evil tweet. I expect he wants to claim credit for the talks, which is at leat better than storming off in a huff about them.

Edit: and there you go. If correctly reported, he can reasonably claim success.

Y0kel said:

Y0kel said:

Nixon-China

Trump-North Korea

Seems logical. He likes to tweet surprises - not much point in another North Korea is Evil tweet. I expect he wants to claim credit for the talks, which is at leat better than storming off in a huff about them.
    He didn't tweet about it, he came out to the press gallery and said it.

The story is the South Koreans are doing the announcement at the White House where they've dropped in to pass on the Kim letter. As much as I loathe the corrupt git, he may have something to claim credit for.
    edited March 2018
    brendan16 said:

Some polling today from the US has the Democrats losing five of their existing Senate seats in November's mid terms - Missouri, North Dakota, Montana, Indiana, and West Virginia. Early days - and most states haven't yet picked their candidates for the Republicans - but it was always a big ask for the Dems to retake the senate when they are defending 24 of the 33 seats up.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/08/democrats-heading-toward-big-losses-in-midterm-senate-elections-polls.html

Given how Red some of the states up this time around, this shouldn't be a big surprise.

My personal guess is that North Dakota, where the "at large" Congressman Cramer is near certain to be the Republican nominee is aRepublican pick-up. I can't see Claire McCaskill hanging on in Missouri, and Montana is one of the most Republican states in the country.

West Virginia is a slightly harder one to call. I wouldn't be surprised if Manchin holds on, even in a state where Trump has a 65% approval rating. (Democrat Richard Ojeda is leading in the polls in the Third Congressional District there, a district which voted Trump over Clinton 75-24.)

The Democrats should be reasonably hopeful of picking up Nevada. It continues to trend blue, and in a low turnout year, they'll probably pinch it. (If the Republicans pick Joe Arpiao in Arizona, then that seat is probably under threat too. I don't expect them to be that stupid, mind.)
    edited March 2018
    Mark Pritchard MP, Paul Farrelly MP and John Bercow MP all named as bullies towards female clarks in tonight's Newnight expose...

Speaker Bercow apparently left one woman with post traumatic stress disorder in 2011...

Have a look here

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b09vffwd/newsnight-08032018
    OchEye said:

Saving only becomes worthwhile when interest rates exceed inflation rates, when the reverse is true, then it is better to spend before the value decreases...

People in Germany and Switzerland save, even though those countries have lower interest rates than the UK or the US.

But yes, the best way to encourage saving is to make money worth more in the future than now.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited March 2018
    GIN1138 said:

Mark Pritchard MP, Paul Farrelly MP and John Bercow MP all named as bullies towards female clarks in tonight's Newnight expose...

Speaker Bercow apparently left one woman with post traumatic stress disorder in 2011...

Have a look here

Are we shocked at any of those names? Farrelly for one has been involved in a number of incidents.
    edited March 2018

GIN1138 said:

Have a look here

Are we shocked at any of those names?
    Will be interesting to see if the floodgates open against Speaker Bercow now.

The tide could be about to rise over his head...
    Even more striking. UKIP->Lab huge swing in the Medway.
    https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/971894222231166978
  • philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Have a look here

Are we shocked at any of those names?
    Will be interesting to see if the floodgates open against Speaker Bercow now.

The tide could be about to rise over his head...
    Just a low tide then

GIN1138 said:

Have a look here

Are we shocked at any of those names? Farrelly for one has been involved in a number of incidents.
    Not heard of the other two, but Bercow has always been a little cocky.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 11,182
    OchEye said:

Nigelb said:

OchEye said:

*A pedant notes* I think, technically, that we do. In terms of numbers and geographical distribution of overseas territories, I think the British empire is still the largest in the world.

I'mnot suggesting that Pucairm, the Falkland Islands, the Turks and Caicos etc are necessarily going to see us through the choppy waters of the early 21st century. But still - the sun does not set on the British Empire.

While I'm on about that sort of thing - and this point is aimed at no-one here in particular - nor are we 'just some small islands of North West Europe' - Great Britain is by any measure a pretty large usland, ranking in the top 10 of islands worldwide in both area and population.

I make no politucal point here, just a geographic one.
    Foxy said:

GIN1138 said:

Have a look here

Not heard of the other two, but Bercow has always been a little cocky.
    Farrelly has had a number of punch ups over the past few years.
  • Even more striking. UKIP->Lab huge swing in the Medway.
    https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/971894222231166978

Council tax bills coming out plus building on green belt
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Spectacular gain for Labour in Rochester West on a 15% swing. The ward includes the cathedral, the castle and the old town.
    Floater said:
    "Bercow even had Emms painted out of his official portrait."

What a sad little man.

• El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    Not a great night for the Conservatives in the locals:

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/971895251857272832

(Rutland politics are weird.)
    https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/971895251857272832

FWIW, I don't know what the IND stood for, but a lot of resentment of overbuilding in Oakham.
    The Rutland seat was split between Con and Ind before.
    edited March 2018
    Labour lose a seat in Bolton, the second time that's happened in a few weeks. Apparently the council is very unpopular.

Floater said:

What a sad little man.

Certainly a huge ego
    edited March 2018
    Floater said:

Floater said:

What a sad little man.

Certainly a huge ego
    He should have retired a couple of years ago when he was popular with almost everyone.
    Cookie said:

OchEye said:

Nigelb said:

OchEye said:

*A pedant notes* I think, technically, that we do. In terms of numbers and geographical distribution of overseas territories, I think the British empire is still the largest in the world.

I'mnot suggesting that Pucairm, the Falkland Islands, the Turks and Caicos etc are necessarily going to see us through the choppy waters of the early 21st century. But still - the sun does not set on the British Empire.

While I'm on about that sort of thing - and this point is aimed at no-one here in particular - nor are we 'just some small islands of North West Europe' - Great Britain is by any measure a pretty large usland, ranking in the top 10 of islands worldwide in both area and population.

I make no politucal point here, just a geographic one.
    Ah, but then again, we will be sending in the SAS to retake Africa, India and Pakistan, Australia, Canada, Burma, Malaya, Hong Kong, Singapore, gunboats up the Yangtse and finally the USA.........;-)
  • oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    AndyJS said:

Floater said:

Floater said:

What a sad little man.

Certainly a huge ego
    He should have retired a couple of years ago when he was popular with almost everyone.
    His ego is too big to allow him to consider that he was ever in the wrong about anything.

They will have to drag him kicking and screaming out of the chair sadly. Odious little man that he is.
  • tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,545
    What a night for the Tories in the local by-elections. Defending 5, 2 looked marginal and 3 very safe, and they've lost every single one.
    edited March 2018
    Cookie said:

If you go by the size of oceanic exclusive economic zones, France is number one followed by the USA.
    Foxy said:
    Actually it's "broken, sleazy Tories on the slide..." :)
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    Well, if I voted for a party that had never had a permanent female leader, let alone two female Prime Ministers, and was in the middle of a harassment scandal, I might be more concerned about sexual harassment in the workplace too.....
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,911
    Historian said:

Also plenty of us young'uns are taking the red pill.
This discussion has been closed.