Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Trump ups the ante in Pennsylvania 18 staking a lot on his man

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited March 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Trump ups the ante in Pennsylvania 18 staking a lot on his man winning tomorrow’s special election

In the early hours of Wednesday morning, UK time, I expect to be glued to CNN coverage of the results in the Pennsylvania 18th District special election. This is proving to be a massive battle and the outcome looks set to frame the narrative of how the November midterms are seen.

Read the full story here

Comments

• JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517
    edited March 2018
    First, like a doped athlete at the Tour de France.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    Second! Like Hillary......

Shhh! We don't talk about Bill's preferences in here ... ;)
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080
    Third like Boris
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,766
    I suspect that the Republicans will hold this fairly easily:

1. Their candidate isn't Roy Moore
    2. Donald Trump's popularity is moving in the right direction, and he's had a very good last two weeks
    3. This is a very safe Republican seat

My guess is that the Republicans will hold this at a canter.

A longer term issue for The Donald is that the policies he's enacted seem to have mostly benefited the coasts, and have been less beneficial for the Rust Belt. The tariffs on steel will - of course - kill more jobs among steel consumers than they save in the steel industry.
    IanB2 said:

Third like Boris

Can't count, like Boris? ;)

As high as second?
    rcs1000 said:

The tariffs on steel will - of course - kill more jobs among steel consumers than they save in the steel industry.

But probably not among the efficient German plants turning out German cars in America.......

https://global.handelsblatt.com/mobility/vw-bmw-daimler-trump-import-895206

rcs1000 said:

The tariffs on steel will - of course - kill more jobs among steel consumers than they save in the steel industry.

But probably not among the efficient German plants turning out German cars in America.......

Well, they will hit all car plants in the US. The real beneficiaries will be car plants in Mexico and Canada, which are not subject to either taxes on cars or on steel.
    Not sure that's the riposte I'd use with someone battling cancer:

https://twitter.com/anyabike/status/973078938720309248
    https://twitter.com/NickBoles/status/958282681313386496

Least of all when he's making a very valid point about why Remain continue to make little or no progress, by repeating the same arguments and somehow expecting a different outcome.....
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Well, they will hit all car plants in the US. The real beneficiaries will be car plants in Mexico and Canada, which are not subject to either taxes on cars or on steel.
    Nearly half of NAFTA German car production is already in Mexico.....and more than half of US German car production gets exported.....the more you look at this...the dafter it gets.....

http://www.mexico-now.com/index.php/article/3508-production-by-german-automakers-in-mexico-increased-46-in-2017

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Nearly half of NAFTA German car production is already in Mexico.....and more than half of US German car production gets exported.....the more you look at this...the dafter it gets.....

http://www.mexico-now.com/index.php/article/3508-production-by-german-automakers-in-mexico-increased-46-in-2017
    Since NAFTA began in 1994, only two G7 countries have increased their car production: Germany and the US. (We are essentially flat.)

As high as second?
    It's a FIFO queue that gets filled regularly (fnarr)
  • JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    Great and joyous news! The amazingly cute Alexander Rybak is going to represent Norway in the Eurovision Sonk Ontest *AGAIN*, nine years after winning it with a record score!!!

http://www.digitalspy.com/showbiz/news/a851971/eurovision-2009-winner-alexander-rybak-representing-norway-2018/
  • not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,340
    rcs1000 said:

I suspect that the Republicans will hold this fairly easily:

1. Their candidate isn't Roy Moore
    2. Donald Trump's popularity is moving in the right direction, and he's had a very good last two weeks
    3. This is a very safe Republican seat

My guess is that the Republicans will hold this at a canter.

A longer term issue for The Donald is that the policies he's enacted seem to have mostly benefited the coasts, and have been less beneficial for the Rust Belt. The tariffs on steel will - of course - kill more jobs among steel consumers than they save in the steel industry.

The Dem candidate is very appealing for a WWC constituency though. Mid 30s, ex marine, public ally said he doesn’t support Pelosi, to the right on guns and abortion.

I expect the GOP to win, but by much less than Trump - about 5%
    On Ken Dodd:

I never got to see any of his shows, but I've known many people who have, from all classes and many segments of society, and no-one had anything negative to say about the shows. A cousin went to one with his grandparents as a teenager and appeared to love it as much as his elders.

A rare talent.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080
    edited March 2018

IanB2 said:

Third like Boris

Can't count, like Boris? ;)
    Don't double-count, like you? ;);)
  • JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    JohnLoony said:

Great and joyous news! The amazingly cute Alexander Rybak is going to represent Norway in the Eurovision Sonk Ontest *AGAIN*, nine years after winning it with a record score!!!

http://www.digitalspy.com/showbiz/news/a851971/eurovision-2009-winner-alexander-rybak-representing-norway-2018/

I love European S - Onk On Test.

Such a fantastic array of the worlds greatest porcine crooners. Will Norwegian "Blue Spot" Ryback triumph again and bring home the bacon ?
  • JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

On Ken Dodd:

I never got to see any of his shows, but I've known many people who have, from all classes and many segments of society, and no-one had anything negative to say about the shows. A cousin went to one with his grandparents as a teenager and appeared to love it as much as his elders.

A rare talent.

On 5Live this morning it was noted that Dodd sold over 100 million records and his single "Tears" was the third largest seller in the UK during the 60's.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,715

On Ken Dodd:

A rare talent.

I saw him live once, about 20 years ago, at a club near Manchester. He was due at 9, actually arrived, from another show in Manchester itself, at about 10.30 and kept going, without pause or repetition for around 90 minutes. The whole audience was in fits of laughter most if not all of the time.

As you say, Mr J. A rare talent.
  • SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,876
    Ken Dodd’s Dad’s Dog’s Dead.

Spurs fans of a certain age will recognise that.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,755
    Trump put his popularity behind Roy Moore, lost, said congratulations and moved on. I really don't get the idea that a President who campaigns in this way is in some way damaged if it doesn't work. In this case, for the reasons Robert gives downthread, it is much more likely to work but either way the Republican establishment can hardly complain that Trump didn't try hard enough if things go badly.

I also suspect that Trump likes being out on the stump more than being President.

Ken Dodd’s Dad’s Dog’s Dead.

Spurs fans of a certain age will recognise that.

No idea why that should be appropriate to Spurs fans but a year or so ago on of the regulars in ‘my’ pub challenged another to repeat it.The challenged, who was on the sixth or so pint of the afternoon made a mess of it, but took it all in good part and it became quite a talkking point for a couple of weeks.
    Does anyone know what is going on with Debbie Abrahams? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-43367511

The idea that you might be able to take legal action because you are sacked by the leader from a shadow (unpaid) post has the attraction of novelty but few other good points. Whatever the merits of the reasons for sacking her in the first place surely the way she has reacted has ended her front bench career for the foreseeable?
  • rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,880
    DavidL said:

Trump put his popularity behind Roy Moore, lost, said congratulations and moved on. I really don't get the idea that a President who campaigns in this way is in some way damaged if it doesn't work. In this case, for the reasons Robert gives downthread, it is much more likely to work but either way the Republican establishment can hardly complain that Trump didn't try hard enough if things go badly.

I also suspect that Trump likes being out on the stump more than being President.

+1.
    DavidL said:

Which, given the US is in a cyclical upswing, is probably good reason to bet on him in 2020.

(It's amazing to think we're less than two years away from the start of the 2020 Primary season. And only about 16 months from the first debates.)
  • EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    DavidL said:

Does anyone know what is going on with Debbie Abrahams? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-43367511

The idea that you might be able to take legal action because you are sacked by the leader from a shadow (unpaid) post has the attraction of novelty but few other good points. Whatever the merits of the reasons for sacking her in the first place surely the way she has reacted has ended her front bench career for the foreseeable?

Isn't she the one whom Andrew Neil skewered over McIRA's lynching comments? I wouldn't be unsurprised of something nasty has gone on behind the scenes and she's been forced out for showing insufficient loyalty in the dear leader.
    Essexit said:

DavidL said:

Isn't she the one whom Andrew Neil skewered over McIRA's lynching comments? I wouldn't be unsurprised of something nasty has gone on behind the scenes and she's been forced out for showing insufficient loyalty in the dear leader.

That is almost certainly what has happened.

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Which, given the US is in a cyclical upswing, is probably good reason to bet on him in 2020.

(It's amazing to think we're less than two years away from the start of the 2020 Primary season. And only about 16 months from the first debates.)
    I already have :-) (in my own modest way). His tax cuts and deal with the tech giants about onshoring profits may well prove to be petrol on the fire being added in a pro-cyclical way to an economy that is already sucking in imports but he won't care if he is re-elected in 2020.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,730
    DavidL said:

If they have made defamatory remarks about her that may be different.

Or if they have shared false stories about her via email that could in theory be a breach of the Communications Act.

In practice we all know it's because Seamus Milne is a vile and dishonest thug and has yet again monumentally cocked up.

I wonder if she might try to launch a leadership challenge? Now that would be popcorn time!
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Do you mean the first 'primary' debates, or 26 months from the first proper debates?
    OT betting tip - Laura Pidcock is currently around 40-1 to be next Labour leader. I have been noticing a lot of Tweets from people close to the current leadership singing her praises. There’ll be no election for a while, but I strongly suggest Pidcock’s odds are already way too long. A woman will replace the Great Sparrow. Unlike Thornberry, Pidcock is a true believer, unlike Rayner she sticks to the script, unlike Long-Bailey she is a decent performer on TV. She’s worth a fiver of anyone’s money. But, of course, DYOR.
    In contrast, of course, our own Mr Hammond is promising more prudence and caution tomorrow in his brief fiscal statement.

His starting point is that the deficit is going to be about £10bn less than predicted in November and growth for the coming year will be something like 0.4% more(and this from people who think they can predict GDP in 2030, never mind).The extra growth should be worth something like another £6bn or so of additional revenue so he should have about £16bn less borrowing next year than originally forecast.

If I was Chancellor (and everyone had remained in the country against their better judgment) I would bank the £10bn, spend £4bn on health, £1bn on Social care helping LA budgets where the pips are squeaking and £1bn on getting Housing Associations building that little bit quicker. The rest could wait to the budget when he can play with the tax side as well.

unlike Long-Bailey she is a decent performer on TV.

Is she? Must confess that isn't the impression I get. She comes across as very arrogant and self-righteous but not very bright in TV interviews. Indeed, very like Long-Bailey and Cat Smith. (It may be unfortunate that her small mouth and overlapping teeth make her look as though she's always sneering as well, which is hardly her fault but doesn't help.)
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Or if they have shared false stories about her via email that could in theory be a breach of the Communications Act.

In practice we all know it's because Seamus Milne is a vile and dishonest thug and has yet again monumentally cocked up.

I wonder if she might try to launch a leadership challenge? Now that would be popcorn time!
    With a name like Abrahams in the modern Labour Party? I'm sure that would go well...
    edited March 2018
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

With a name like Abrahams in the modern Labour Party? I'm sure that would go well...
    Have you read this? (It was written before Lansman's withdrawal.)

http://labour-uncut.co.uk/2018/03/11/three-reasons-why-jennie-formby-should-not-become-general-secretary-of-the-labour-party/

I particularly enjoyed this line:

There are currently two candidates to be Labour’s General Secretary: Unite’s Jennie Formby and Momentum’s Jon Lansman.While this might be reasonably likened to choosing for your leader between Ghengis Khan and Pol Pot, there is always a least worst option and, in these difficult times, it is important to take note which it is. Here’s why Formby should not be General Secretary.

But it goes in some depth into the really nasty side of anti-semitism in the Labour Party.
    edited March 2018
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

http://labour-uncut.co.uk/2018/03/11/three-reasons-why-jennie-formby-should-not-become-general-secretary-of-the-labour-party/

There are currently two candidates to be Labour’s General Secretary: Unite’s Jennie Formby and Momentum’s Jon Lansman.While this might be reasonably likened to choosing for your leader between Ghengis Khan and Pol Pot, there is always a least worst option and, in these difficult times, it is important to take note which it is. Here’s why Formby should not be General Secretary.
    Did Lansman not withdraw yesterday? Edit, sorry, I should have read your comment more carefully.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880

On Ken Dodd:

A rare talent.

He also had the honour of being in one of the strangest ever Doctor Who serials - Delta and the Bannermen.
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Did Lansman not withdraw yesterday? Edit, sorry, I should have read your comment more carefully.
    All my comments should be read carefully. Like a fine wine that you smell, sip and savour, scrupulous reading brings out the brilliance of them to the true connoisseur :smiley:
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

All my comments should be read carefully. Like a fine wine that you smell, sip and savour, scrupulous reading brings out the brilliance of them to the true connoisseur :smiley:
    Very true, very true. But off to work I go so that further pleasure will have to be deferred.
  • TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Vince cable just spent his entire 5 mins on R5 explaining that he doesn’t really despise all of the 17.4M Ho voted leave and not all of them are racist.

A triumphant weekend in getting the LD revival back off track.
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Very true, very true. But off to work I go so that further pleasure will have to be deferred.
    Have a good day! I am off as well.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,557
    edited March 2018
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

And too many of them give you liver disease ?
    edited March 2018
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

And too many of them give you liver disease ?
    Well, the awesome puns might make some people projectile vomit I suppose. Does that count? :wink:

Have a good morning everyone!
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,955
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

But it goes in some depth into the really nasty side of anti-semitism in the Labour Party.
    The stuff about Clan McCluskey was interesting background.....
    TGOHF said:

Vince cable just spent his entire 5 mins on R5 explaining that he doesn’t really despise all of the 17.4M Ho voted leave and not all of them are racist.

Cable seems intent on demonstrating that his sole claim to political fame was delivering the remakable insight that Gordon Brown was a bit crap.

OT betting tip - Laura Pidcock is currently around 40-1 to be next Labour leader. I have been noticing a lot of Tweets from people close to the current leadership singing her praises. There’ll be no election for a while, but I strongly suggest Pidcock’s odds are already way too long. A woman will replace the Great Sparrow. Unlike Thornberry, Pidcock is a true believer, unlike Rayner she sticks to the script, unlike Long-Bailey she is a decent performer on TV. She’s worth a fiver of anyone’s money. But, of course, DYOR.

Thing that matters most for the Corbyn replacements is who he anoints as the Ætheling as his choice will matter intensely to the membership. This assumes he doesn't go under a bus on his bike leading to an unmanaged succession. Corbyn is loyal, to a fault, with his inner circle of equally dimwitted and morally compromised cronies and it's difficult to see him reaching beyond that coterie when choosing who to endorse as the next leader. Pidcock is not in that inner circle and is never likely to be given her age, gender and lack of London-ness.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Yep, a lot of the VWs in the Middle East are North American-spec, made in US and Mexico. Car market is very much worldwide.

On Ken Dodd:

A rare talent.

I saw him live once, about 20 years ago, at a club near Manchester. He was due at 9, actually arrived, from another show in Manchester itself, at about 10.30 and kept going, without pause or repetition for around 90 minutes. The whole audience was in fits of laughter most if not all of the time.

Only 90 minutes ... ?
    Must have been a bit tired that evening.

I remember being dragged, unwillingly, to one of his shows when I was about 12. Being something of an intellectual snob at the time, I was about as far from a fan as it's possible to be. Despite myself, I was laughing uncontrollably by the end of the show.

Ridiculously sentimental, and his jokes were rubbish, but his sheer stage presence had to be experienced live to be believed.

Every once in a while, I still find myself humming 'Crappyness, crappyness...'
    Dura_Ace said:

On Ken Dodd:

A rare talent.

He also had the honour of being in one of the strangest ever Doctor Who serials - Delta and the Bannermen.
    As if Sylvester McCoy and Bonnie Langford weren't already strange enough!
  • TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840

Essexit said:

DavidL said:

That is almost certainly what has happened.

Don't want to cast too much doubt on the theory here but later on in the show Andrew Neil mentioned McDonnell had contacted DP and clarified what happened and she said (something along the lines of) ' ohh I thought that didn't sound like John'

• felixfelix Posts: 15,122
    edited March 2018
    DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

I already have :-) (in my own modest way). His tax cuts and deal with the tech giants about onshoring profits may well prove to be petrol on the fire being added in a pro-cyclical way to an economy that is already sucking in imports but he won't care if he is re-elected in 2020.
    All part of Corbyn's Labour commitment to equality . Nothing at all to do with her sex or surname .
    Nigelb said:

I think you'll find it's

"I praise the Lord, that I've been blessed
    With more than my share of a penis...."

Dura_Ace said:

On Ken Dodd:

A rare talent.

If you can get past, or perhaps even embrace, the incredibly low production values the McCoy/Langford era had some good some serials (eg Paradise Towers, Remembrance of the Daleks).
    Have we done this? The UK to pay billions of pounds a year to ensure ongoing, enhanced access to the Single Market. Good news if true. The loons will hate it.
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5782504/money-key-brexit-trade-deal/
  • ElliotElliot Posts: 1,516
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

How long will this upswing last? A recession is overdue by 2020 isn't it?
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Good morning, everyone.

Mr. Ace, I have Remembrance of the Daleks on VHS, as part of a 30th Anniversary Tin thingummyjig. It is a good story. Certainly better than the revisionist tosh of New Who's daleks.

Trouble at mill: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-43367511
    Nigelb said:

On Ken Dodd:

A rare talent.

Only 90 minutes ... ?
    Must have been a bit tired that evening.

I remember being dragged, unwillingly, to one of his shows when I was about 12. Being something of an intellectual snob at the time, I was about as far from a fan as it's possible to be. Despite myself, I was laughing uncontrollably by the end of the show.

Ridiculously sentimental, and his jokes were rubbish, but his sheer stage presence had to be experienced live to be believed.

Well, TBH my memory insisted it was that it was longer, but as he didn’t start until after 11pm I thought memory must be playing it’s usual tricks.
    My wife recalls him going on until well after 1 am

As you say, his stage presence had to be experienced live, although he was good on TV.
    Dura_Ace said:

On Ken Dodd:

A rare talent.

Also a court case which is still probably in the legal textbooks on the dangers of a jury trial.
    Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

On Ken Dodd:

A rare talent.

Also a court case which is still probably in the legal textbooks on the dangers of a jury trial.
    The case was heard at Liverpool wasn’t it?
  • BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191
    Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

On Ken Dodd:

A rare talent.

If you can get past, or perhaps even embrace, the incredibly low production values the McCoy/Langford era had some good some serials (eg Paradise Towers, Remembrance of the Daleks).
    McCoy/Langford not so much - Time and the Rani is utterly mental and rubbish, Delta and teh Bannermen has a germ of an idea but not much. Paradise Towers is cheap mid80s Dr Who trying to do High Rise - had it been made even a year later, it would have evolved into a bit of a classic, imo. Dragonfire has some good ideas and one amazing special effect but the sum is weaker than the parts.

McCoy/Aldred on the other hand. 8 episodes of which I would honestly put three as classics (Remembrance, Greatest Show in the Galaxy, Fenric) , four as well worth watching for some reason (Happiness Patrol and Battlefield have good ideas, the latter is one of my favourites simply due to the ham to ham combat of the two main nights, morgaine and both brigadiers, Ghostlight has very good ideas but what exactly is going on is beyond me on most watches and Survival is a glimpse of Eccleston and Piper almost two decades beforehand) and one that's a cheesey mess - entertaining but a mess.

As a concentrated burst of quality, those last two seasons hold up against some of the all-time classic eras.
  • BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191
    That post was basically Patrick Bateman reviewing Dr Who.

Good morning, everyone.

Mr. Ace, I have Remembrance of the Daleks on VHS, as part of a 30th Anniversary Tin thingummyjig. It is a good story. Certainly better than the revisionist tosh of New Who's daleks.

Morning, Mr.D.
    A snippet for you:

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/22721293/testing-analysis-f1-got-three-way-title-battle
    GPS data indicates that despite the 0.9s difference between Vettel's lap and Ricciardo's, the Red Bull was the quicker car in all of the Circuit de Catalunya's 16 corners. That's impressive given that Ricciardo's time was set with a day's less rubber on the track and also indicates that Ferrari had its engine turned up in order to make up the difference on the straights…

Thanks. Yeah I reckon she is worth a shot at those odds.

Good morning, everyone.

Is it possible for two people to bully each other?
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    Would certainly be a boost to the Democrats if they win this district but even a significant swing to their candidate would encourage them ahead of the midterms
    edited March 2018
    RIP Sir Ken Dodd, a comedian and singer of the music hall old school and a Tory who dodged the poll tax.

Sir Ken also died in the very same house he was brought up in and had lived in for 90 years, a rarity nowadays beyond royalty and the aristocracy and farmers

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-43367267#
    Mr. B, interesting suggestion. I saw somewhere that people have compared the Ferrari rear to the double diffuser.

Not sure I believe the Red Bull is a second a lap faster than the Ferrari.

Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

On Ken Dodd:

A rare talent.

Yes it was. And they didn’t learn the lesson when 25 years later they sent Steven Gerrard for trial at the same court.
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

On Ken Dodd:

A rare talent.

Yes it was. And they didn’t learn the lesson when 25 years later they sent Steven Gerrard for trial at the same court.
    Might have been different if the jury had been Evertonians.

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

On Ken Dodd:

A rare talent.

If I’d been the prosecutor of Gerrard, I’d have had the case moved to Manchester ;)
    Looks like the Saffirs are going to turn over the Aussies. Pity for South Africa that Rabada looks as if he’s going to be suspended.
    Sporting Index got back to me, they're only offering the ranking index, and not a points index. Ah well.

Sporting Index got back to me, they're only offering the ranking index, and not a points index. Ah well.

That’s crap, try Spreadex instead, I’d be interested in a bit of fun on the points spreads as well. The ranking index is rubbish, not enough variation to actually play the spreads through the season.
    edited March 2018
    TGOHF said:

Cable has now effectively set the LDs against Brexit and firmly for a second EU referendum, in his speech saying he originally thought they had to respect the Leave vote but that the overwhelming youth vote for Remain and elderly vote for Leave changed his mind.

He also set the LDs against leaving the Customs Union which he said would mean leaving European friends for the 'warmonger in Washington' and the 'bully in Beijing'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-43367204

Have we done this? The UK to pay billions of pounds a year to ensure ongoing, enhanced access to the Single Market. Good news if true. The loons will hate it.

Not according to the story:

Several prominent Tory Brexiteers — one of them a household name — have told me they would indeed agree to ongoing financial contributions of even around £5billion a year if that breaks the logjam.

“It’s well worth it in terms of how much it will benefit the economy,” said the household name Brexiteer. “And we’ll get it back in increased ­Treasury revenue anyway.”
    rkrkrk said:

Good morning, everyone.

The Blair/Brown years would seem to indicate yes.
    Diane Abbot is going to guest-edit LabourList over Monday to Friday.

https://labourlist.org/2018/03/diane-abbott-will-guest-edit-labourlist/

I guess that means there will be 23 articles, with 15 being published on each of the 91 days.
    Mr. Sandpit, any chance of a link? I wasn't aware of spread stuff beyond SI (it's not my usual playing field).
  • ‪More a case of not who you know but who you blow?‬

https://twitter.com/NickCohen4/status/972901943403302912
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,122
    rkrkrk said:

Good morning, everyone.

I think in old money it was called an argument :)
  • alex.alex. Posts: 4,658

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

On Ken Dodd:

A rare talent.

Gerrard is an Everton fan though. Was in the away end at Hillsborough iirc

‪More a case of not who you know but who you blow?‬

https://twitter.com/NickCohen4/status/972901943403302912

I'm firmly coming to the view that you can either have a vote, or post on Twitter. But not both.

Not according to the story:

Several prominent Tory Brexiteers — one of them a household name — have told me they would indeed agree to ongoing financial contributions of even around £5billion a year if that breaks the logjam.

“It’s well worth it in terms of how much it will benefit the economy,” said the household name Brexiteer. “And we’ll get it back in increased ­Treasury revenue anyway.”

You missed out the bit about Boris!!

Interesting the prominent Brexiteer states that better access to the SM means higher Treasury revenue. Obviouly, therefore, reduced SM access means less.

F1: from BBC gossip:
    "Max Verstappen says his Red Bull outfit need to be within three tenths of pole position at this month's season-opening Australian Grand Prix to be in the fight for victory in the race."

Telling. Indicates the wick on the Renault engine cannot be turned up as much as those of other cars.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,741
    HYUFD said:

Cable has now effectively set the LDs against Brexit and firmly for a second EU referendum, in his speech saying he originally thought they had to respect the Leave vote but that the overwhelming youth vote for Remain and elderly vote for Leave changed his mind.

He also set the LDs against leaving the Customs Union which he said would mean leaving European friends for the 'warmonger in Washington' and the 'bully in Beijing'

I made my view of Cable's speech clear last evening but needless to say the usual suspects have continued to put the boot in this morning which is all part of the political knockabout.

Being politically expedient, there's no point abandoning all those aged 65+ to the Conservatives and fighting with Labour for the 18-30 vote. The Conservatives will inevitably (as they did with their social care proposals in the GE campaign) alienate the older vote again and when they do there has to be an alternative for older voters.

Remaining in the Single Market while outside the EU political structures is an option but for those of us concerned about immigration unacceptable. The CU offers some options on Freedom of Movement and I'm leaning toward that only because I'm sceptical of this Government's ability to obtain trade deals better than currently available within the EU.

The only redeeming feature (unless you accept the notion all publicity is good publicity and neither Conservative nor Labour have suffered from their negative reports over the past months) is Cable won't be leading the party into the next GE and this has probably brought forward his "retirement" and the forthcoming (hopefully) leadership contest between (hopefully) Jo Swinson and Layla Moran (hopefully).

Mr. Sandpit, any chance of a link? I wasn't aware of spread stuff beyond SI (it's not my usual playing field).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spreadex
    alex. said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

On Ken Dodd:

A rare talent.

You’re thinking of Jamie Carragher, who was at the other semi-final on the same day that involved Everton. Liverpool’s opponents at Hillsborough were Nottingham Forest.
    'Plane crash' at Nepal's Kathmandu airport
  • alex. said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

On Ken Dodd:

A rare talent.

Fake news.

Plus it was Gerrard’s cousin who was at Hillsborough and sadly died.
  • Re Ken Dodd.

In his trial leading the prosecution was Brian Leveson.

Whatever happened to him?
    Mr. Sandpit, checked the site but no sign of F1 or motorsport. Might be up in a few days, I suppose.
  • Won't too long before The Standard becomes the UK's most read newspaper.

George Osborne has dropped "London" from the title of the Evening Standard in a signal of the paper’s ambition to have greater national and international influence.

The name change is part of a comprehensive redesign of the paper that the former chancellor of the exchequer hopes will "turn up the volume on the Evening Standard", which he began editing only 10 months ago.

It is the Standard’s first redesign in a decade and will see the paper’s business pages turned pink to make them more distinctive, and enhanced entertainment coverage that includes an "A List" column on celebrity gossip and a rebranding of the famous "Londoner’s Diary" to "The Londoner".

http://www.thedrum.com/opinion/2018/03/12/george-osborne-his-evening-standard-revamp-and-dropping-london-its-masthead
    edited March 2018
    Warren says she is not running for President
    https://t.co/QAWJVKGa8h?amp=1

Sanders meanwhile campaigns in Texas in what looks like the early stages of a second Democratic Presidential primary campaign

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/43355674

Re Ken Dodd.

He wasn’t a match for Ceorge Carmen and a long line of very funny character witnesses?

Re Ken Dodd.

He wasn’t a match for Ceorge Carmen and a long line of very funny character witnesses?

If the reports are correct that its US-Bangla then its a DH-8 - so not quite the 'jet' of some reports...
    Cable spends a speech digging, claims he's not in a hole:

If the reports are correct that its US-Bangla then its a DH-8 - so not quite the 'jet' of some reports...
    That’s about half a dozen planes down in as many weeks. Not good.
  • CD13CD13 Posts: 6,349
    Mr Sandpit,

In the Liverpool Echo, Carragher claimed to be a "Bootle Red."

Gerrard's a Huyton Red, although he used to live in Formby before he went off to America..
This discussion has been closed.