Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » TMay says it’s “highly likely” that Russia responsible for the

Comments

• Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307

nielh said:

stodge said:

nielh said:

The real difference is that the Russians are ready to go to war, and we (and others in the west) will do anything to avoid it.

It is a question of resolve. Who wants to go and fight in to a difficult war for a cause that doesn't have an obvious point?

A lot of people in this country would probably settle for a puppet Russian government.

I'm sorry but honestly ?

Russia "ready to go to war" ? They have NATO forces eyeballing them in Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania. Putin is a nationalist, not an idiot. He has no intention or desire to fight NATO - cause trouble, perhaps, but he won't cross the line unless we, in our stupidity and vanity, choose to.

Given the choice between nuclear incineration and a "puppet Russian Government" I know which I and most people would prefer. Why would anyone want the alternative ?

The Russians are frequently going off to war - Crimea, Syria are the last two examples.

My knowledge on military issues is limited, but I think the general problem with the NATO forces in Eastern Europe is that they aren't very effective. There's hardly a permanent NATO presence on the border.

As I understand it, Russia could invade any of those countries in the matter of a few hours. It then becomes a question of what response NATO undertake.

Are you going to want to go and fight in a war over Latvia? Most people would have no interest in it.

From a historical point of view, appeasement of an aggressor rarely works well as a strategy.

I believe the NATO forces are there to serve the purpose of 'tripwire' forces. Basically their prime purpose is to make it clear that invading one of the NATO countries will involve direct conflict with western European and North American forces, not just those of the individual country being invaded. But more militarily they serve a rear-guard/delaying and intelligence purpose to allow time for NATO to get its main forces prepared for battle and moved into position.
    Thats what I thought - the forces that are there aren't much to be reckoned with.

By the point the NATO forces would be moved in to battle, Russia would have completed its invasion and the war would be over.

• Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

hunchman said:

hunchman said:

philiph said:

hunchman said:

Floater said:

hunchman said:

Elliot said:

calum said:
    The far left is so pathetic. They don't see the difference between a useful idiot on the back benches and making one Prime Minister.
    I would be shocked if Kwasi Kwarteng went on RT and was a patsy agreeing with the general premise of the propaganda being put out by the channel. Jezza on the other hand encouraged people to watch it because he said it was more objective than the MSM.
    You might like to see under Companies House records who the sole director of Russia Today TV UK Ltd was in July 2005, and see where his other directorship was out of. I might add that this directorship is active to this day. You might then begin to question the "official" narrative of Russia Today. It isn't as 99.9% of people in the country seem to think it is.

Our government wouldn't be involved in selling mistruths to us would it? Surely not!
    Illuminati? Soros?
    Go and look for goodness sake! Hint google Russia Today TV UK Ltd companies house.
    Christopher Wood???
    Correct. Then look at his other directorship, and google the address that company was incorporated at, and see where it leads.
    Oh god we are back on the Finchley Road conspiracy bollocks.
    Follow the money. I stick to companies house documents, that are prima facie evidence. You can go off at a tangent with conspiracy theory all you like. I don't go there. Companies House documents tell me what I need to know thank you.
    Go on, entertain us...
    We feel stupid and contagious.

Actually, that sums up the national plight pretty well atm.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667
    hunchman said:

Mortimer said:

@hunchman, a small, boring family company that I know well has the same common address on the incorporation documents. I asked the founder why, recently. He told me it was an off the shelf company formation.

That is very true. There are legitimate businesses out of those addresses historically, who should not be tarred with the same brush as many other companies - you have to look at the accounts in addition. However, you will note that 'that' address got closed down in a panic at the end of February last year. Not as though it made the news for obvious reasons.
    I wish someone would throw in a bit of clarity to this sub-thread. Who is Christopher Wood? Should I have heard of him?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750
    AndyJS said:
    Long way behind this, but it really irritates me when politicians in particular get so brazen about what is, let us be honest here, a flat out lie, which is rarer than we sometimes think. He can claim that he didn't say the words 'Brexit voters are racist' all he bloody wants, he claimed, at the very least, that a too significant portion of them were motivated by racism. Indeed, so significant a portion it justified changing what he claimed was his willingness to accept the result.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

calum said:
    If he does he may find it will not be broadcast into the UK
    I doubt they can just shut down licensed news outlets, UK is not a banana republic
    Give us time, malc
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    An analyst on Sky news about half hour ago basically argued we should do nothing as we might anger Putin into doing something worse.

Pathetic
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591
    Nigelb said:

hunchman said:

philiph said:

hunchman said:

Floater said:

hunchman said:

Elliot said:

calum said:
    The far left is so pathetic. They don't see the difference between a useful idiot on the back benches and making one Prime Minister.
    I would be shocked if Kwasi Kwarteng went on RT and was a patsy agreeing with the general premise of the propaganda being put out by the channel. Jezza on the other hand encouraged people to watch it because he said it was more objective than the MSM.
    You might like to see under Companies House records who the sole director of Russia Today TV UK Ltd was in July 2005, and see where his other directorship was out of. I might add that this directorship is active to this day. You might then begin to question the "official" narrative of Russia Today. It isn't as 99.9% of people in the country seem to think it is.

Our government wouldn't be involved in selling mistruths to us would it? Surely not!
    Illuminati? Soros?
    Go and look for goodness sake! Hint google Russia Today TV UK Ltd companies house.
    Christopher Wood???
    Correct. Then look at his other directorship, and google the address that company was incorporated at, and see where it leads.
    Really ?
    Ironic...

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jan/13/uk-british-former-moscow-ambassador-andrew-wood-trump-dossier
    Friends say that Wood has been alarmed at what has happened in Russia since his departure. Under Putin, formal political opposition has disappeared and television has become an instrument of state propaganda...
    I'm not aware of any family relationship between Andrew and Christopher Wood here?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Floater said:

An analyst on Sky news about half hour ago basically argued we should do nothing as we might anger Putin into doing something worse.

Pathetic

Was his name J. Corbyn?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,609
    Stormy offers to refund the $130k:
    https://www.politico.com/story/2018/03/12/stormy-daniels-return-money-456315

I'm beginning to think she's better a

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,609
    hunchman said:

Nigelb said:

hunchman said:

philiph said:

hunchman said:

Floater said:

hunchman said:

Elliot said:

calum said:

Illuminati? Soros?
    Christopher Wood???
    Really ?
    Ironic...

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jan/13/uk-british-former-moscow-ambassador-andrew-wood-trump-dossier
    Friends say that Wood has been alarmed at what has happened in Russia since his departure. Under Putin, formal political opposition has disappeared and television has become an instrument of state propaganda...
    I'm not aware of any family relationship between Andrew and Christopher Wood here?
    My bad.

• Options
    hunchman said:

nielh said:

stodge said:

nielh said:

The real difference is that the Russians are ready to go to war, and we (and others in the west) will do anything to avoid it.

It is a question of resolve. Who wants to go and fight in to a difficult war for a cause that doesn't have an obvious point?

A lot of people in this country would probably settle for a puppet Russian government.

I'm sorry but honestly ?

Russia "ready to go to war" ? They have NATO forces eyeballing them in Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania. Putin is a nationalist, not an idiot. He has no intention or desire to fight NATO - cause trouble, perhaps, but he won't cross the line unless we, in our stupidity and vanity, choose to.

Given the choice between nuclear incineration and a "puppet Russian Government" I know which I and most people would prefer. Why would anyone want the alternative ?

The Russians are frequently going off to war - Crimea, Syria are the last two examples.

My knowledge on military issues is limited, but I think the general problem with the NATO forces in Eastern Europe is that they aren't very effective. There's hardly a permanent NATO presence on the border.

As I understand it, Russia could invade any of those countries in the matter of a few hours. It then becomes a question of what response NATO undertake.

Are you going to want to go and fight in a war over Latvia? Most people would have no interest in it.

From a historical point of view, appeasement of an aggressor rarely works well as a strategy.

And who started the war in Syria? Nothing to do with Qatar and the West wanting to build a gas pipeline that had to go through Syria, in order to alleviate reliance on Russian energy?
    So, by your logic the answer was to plunge the area into civil war.... hmmmm not the greatest plan I have ever seen.
  • Options
    Given Putin apparently likes the successful posturing he can achieve from ratcheting up tensions, I've never been entirely clear why an increase in suspicion and hostility toward the Russian state in recent years must be our fault. It's certainly not because people just loved that cold war paranoia.

• Options
    Nigelb said:

That stripping gig must pay better than I thought....
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,629
    edited March 2018
    Floater said:

Pathetic

We should consider how Putin will react to whatever we do choose to do.

Russians are chess players, always thinking a few moves ahead.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Southampton sack Pellegrino - Sky News.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Evening all :)

My only observation on this is we didn't boycott the Moscow Olympics after the USSR invaded Afghanistan on Christmas Eve 1979 and that was a whole order of seriousness greater than this in terms of prevailing US-Soviet tensions at the time.

I can't see us boycotting the World Cup this summer - yes, there may be an official no-show but the team will go and probably return early.

Interesting Trump hasn't tweeted on this yet.

Someone's taken away his phone until he agrees to a position, perhaps, rather than his unvarnished and, er, forthright views.
  • Options
    Just out of interest, what was Corbyn's take on the Salisbury incident?
    I presume it was something along the lines of a 'full investigation needed', without accepting that Russia was behind it.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

stodge said:

Evening all :)

My only observation on this is we didn't boycott the Moscow Olympics after the USSR invaded Afghanistan on Christmas Eve 1979 and that was a whole order of seriousness greater than this in terms of prevailing US-Soviet tensions at the time.

I can't see us boycotting the World Cup this summer - yes, there may be an official no-show but the team will go and probably return early.

Interesting Trump hasn't tweeted on this yet.

"Probably return early". I think that short sentence probably contains one word too many..
    “Probably return early

I guess that’s up to Mrs May isn’t it?
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    nielh said:

I presume it was something along the lines of a 'full investigation needed', without accepting that Russia was behind it.

Worse...we need to talk to sit down with Putin and it was the Tories, the Tories, the Tories, killing the NHS...
  • Options
    stodge said:

Floater said:

That reminds me of a wargame with a most unwarlike Lib Dem in the chain of command - rolled over and showed her tummy at the first sign of trouble.

Do you think we should have a nuclear deterrent?

If you mean an independent British deterrent ? Short answer, no. To be honest, I don't trust either a Conservative or Labour Government not to do something stupid.

Should we be part of an alliance of nations which has nuclear capability ? Short answer, yes.

Under what circumstances would Britain use nuclear weapons without reference to its NATO allies ?
    So, if we were threatened by Nukes we should just give up as we could not credibly counter the threat?

You say you don't trust our politicians....... but would be happy for soemeone else to make that decision - someone else who might decide its not in their national interest to defend us.

Weird

• Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    edited March 2018
    JackW said:

Southampton are san(s) Pellegrino.
    They should fizz round the pitch now.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited March 2018
    kle4 said:

AndyJS said:
    Long way behind this, but it really irritates me when politicians in particular get so brazen about what is, let us be honest here, a flat out lie, which is rarer than we sometimes think. He can claim that he didn't say the words 'Brexit voters are racist' all he bloody wants, he claimed, at the very least, that a too significant portion of them were motivated by racism. Indeed, so significant a portion it justified changing what he claimed was his willingness to accept the result.
    It was a cry for attention. Given that Labour and the Tories are backing Brexit, it's the Lib Dem's differentiator. As those who voted Remain are apparently seething with resentment, it's an attempt to boost his parties terrible polling.

My objection wasn't that he was accusing Leavers of racism (I vaguely recall being lambasted as a xenophobic racist or racist xenophobe on here), it was his wacky logic. In Vinceland, old people votes count for less than young ones. This is an incredibly dangerous path to tread.
  • Options
    Floater said:

hunchman said:

nielh said:

stodge said:

nielh said:

I'm sorry but honestly ?

And who started the war in Syria? Nothing to do with Qatar and the West wanting to build a gas pipeline that had to go through Syria, in order to alleviate reliance on Russian energy?
    So, by your logic the answer was to plunge the area into civil war.... hmmmm not the greatest plan I have ever seen.
    Personally, if I wanted to construct a 1000 km long indefensible and very easily sabotaged petrochemical pipeline, I wouldn't choose to do it in a chaotic failed state full of armed bands.

It didnt seem plausible when claimed to be our objective in Afghanistan either!
  • Options
    franklynfranklyn Posts: 297
    Russia is a kleptocracy. and Putin and the kleptocrats are one and the same. Seize/freeze their assets in London and in the British Overseas Territories. The house of cards would come tumbling down
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

Nigelb said:

She can't claim there is not legally enforceable contract and keep the money!!
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Fair point. I imagine win or lose she will have signed up for some nationwide tour.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,238
    John_M said:

kle4 said:

AndyJS said:
    It was a cry for attention. Given that Labour and the Tories are backing Brexit, it's the Lib Dem's differentiator. As those who voted Remain are apparently seething with resentment, it's an attempt to boost his parties terrible polling.

My objection wasn't that he was accusing Leavers of racism (I vaguely recall being lambasted as a xenophobic racist or racist xenophobe on here), it was his wacky logic. In Vinceland, old people votes count for less than young ones. This is an incredibly dangerous path to tread.
    He's externalising his personal experience. 20 years ago he was a prominent and successful politician and business executive and everyone hung on his words.

Now he's leader of the Liberal Democrats...
  • Options
    nielh said:

'I have a letter here from Svetlana...'
  • Options
    JackW said:

Saints look woeful, they have pretty horrible fixtures too.

• Options
    Foxy said:

JackW said:

There are some very poor teams in the EPL this year.
  • Options
    ElliotElliot Posts: 1,516
    kle4 said:

Given Putin apparently likes the successful posturing he can achieve from ratcheting up tensions, I've never been entirely clear why an increase in suspicion and hostility toward the Russian state in recent years must be our fault. It's certainly not because people just loved that cold war paranoia.

Seumas Milne and his comrades are anti-Western to the core. They will always justify any crimes against the West and demand no response.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

hunchman said:

hunchman said:

hunchman said:

philiph said:

hunchman said:

Floater said:

hunchman said:

Elliot said:

calum said:

Illuminati? Soros?
    Christopher Wood???
    Oh god we are back on the Finchley Road conspiracy bollocks.
    Follow the money. I stick to companies house documents, that are prima facie evidence. You can go off at a tangent with conspiracy theory all you like. I don't go there. Companies House documents tell me what I need to know thank you.
    Go on, entertain us...
    As I say, follow the money, and let the companies house documents do the talking. No conspiracy there.
    Why are Jezza and Co not screaming this from the rooftops? Are they in on it too?
    Well you do know that he took around £20,000 from appearances on Press TV. UK Press TV has an interesting history - have a look at that on companies house records. Incidentally, I think it was more than 4 appearances, that the Mail said in this article:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3771732/20k-isn-t-lot-Iranian-TV-appearances-says-Jeremy-Corbyn-defends-talking-channel-banned-broadcasting-UK.html
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Fair point. I imagine win or lose she will have signed up for some nationwide tour.
    She's not going to win, if she's taken the money and it's him - and not her - that didn't sign.

So this is all about the "book tour" or whatever pornstars go on...
  • Options
    edited March 2018

Nigelb said:

She's not going to win, if she's taken the money and it's him - and not her - that didn't sign.

Don't you mean a bonk tour?

My understanding is that these days adult film work doesn't pay like it used to and it is basically advertising for their personal services.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,945
    edited March 2018
    nielh said:

nielh said:

stodge said:

nielh said:

I'm sorry but honestly ?

I believe the NATO forces are there to serve the purpose of 'tripwire' forces. Basically their prime purpose is to make it clear that invading one of the NATO countries will involve direct conflict with western European and North American forces, not just those of the individual country being invaded. But more militarily they serve a rear-guard/delaying and intelligence purpose to allow time for NATO to get its main forces prepared for battle and moved into position.
    Thats what I thought - the forces that are there aren't much to be reckoned with.

By the point the NATO forces would be moved in to battle, Russia would have completed its invasion and the war would be over.

And Moscow would and should be a smouldering crater. That is why Corbyn and his cabal must never be allowed anywhere near power. A deterrent is only a deterrent when your enemy is convinced he will use it.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    franklyn said:

Russia is a kleptocracy. and Putin and the kleptocrats are one and the same. Seize/freeze their assets in London and in the British Overseas Territories. The house of cards would come tumbling down

It won't have that effect as there are plenty of other places to launder their loot, but we shouldn't be one of them.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Floater said:

Pathetic

We should consider how Putin will react to whatever we do choose to do.

Russians are chess players, always thinking a few moves ahead.
    Absolutely - but to do nothing because it might be difficult is both craven and stupid.

• Options
    franklyn said:

I think you'll find Russia hold enough trump (pardon the pun) cards on the murkier aspects of the UK government that that is not an option..........
  • Options

Foxy said:

JackW said:

Until the weekend Burnley, Leicester and Everton had all had poor runs of results, yet held onto top 10 places.

I am quite optimistic for us against Chelski on Sunday though.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

JackW said:

Until the weekend Burnley, Leicester and Everton had all had poor runs of results, yet held onto top 10 places.

Hope you win
  • Options

Floater said:

Pathetic

Was his name J. Corbyn?
    No, this guy admitted it was beyond reasonable doubt a Russian State action.

Jezza would choke if he had to say that.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,448
    What is the Finchley Road conspiracy? Anyone able to give me a 100-word summary?

• Options

Nigelb said:

My understanding is that these days adult film work doesn't pay like it used to and it is basically advertising for their personal services.
    Is that why she keeps banging on about it?
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Cookie said:

What is the Finchley Road conspiracy? Anyone able to give me a 100-word summary?

Oh no, please, not again....Mr Meeks call the Leave campaign Xenophobic or something again, anything, not this.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,332
    Hilarious to log-on this evening and see some some truly pathetic attempts to try and pin Russia's latest state-sponsored murder on Brexit, despite the fact Litvinenko's assassination, the annexation of the Crimea, and their intervention in Ukraine date back well before GE2015 and the passing of the Referendum Act, let alone the vote.

Truly, this site is dominated by some utter Remainiac obsessive loons who can think of nothing else.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

You seem quite knowledgeable about the adult entertainment industry

Just saying.......
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

nielh said:

nielh said:

stodge said:

nielh said:

I'm sorry but honestly ?

And Moscow would and should be a smouldering crater. That is why Corbyn and his cabal must never be allowed anywhere near power. A deterrent is only a deterrent when your enemy is convinced he will use it.
    That rather contradicts your earlier point though. NATO wouldn't be able to agree what to do.

It seems rather unlikely to me that it would escalate in to a nuclear war.

• Options
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

Perhaps she is just a publicity whore?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy.... that was actually very good :-)
  • Options
    hunchman said:

Floater said:

hunchman said:

Elliot said:

calum said:

Illuminati? Soros?
    Won’t the spooks see you do that?
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Floater said:

Nigelb said:

Just saying.......
    Not really, I read some article about (I think they are called this, and not going to google) MindGeek...who over the past 10 years or so have bought up all the adult sites or driven existing ones out of business, and because they own a monopoly driven prices down.

Apparently speaking out against them is as good for your career as a North Korean doubting Rocket Man's dad didn't get all those holes in one.

So talent has to just suck up what they are given (did I really write that...) and as an alternative make their money through escorting etc.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Nigelb said:

Just saying.......
    Guardian reported that the adult site registration scheme due to start in April has been delayed because no one is certain how secure data would be, and the possibility of blackmail.

You would have thought they would have known this before implementing it
  • Options

Floater said:

Nigelb said:

Just saying.......
    Guardian reported that the adult site registration scheme due to start in April has been delayed because no one is certain how secure data would be, and the possibility of blackmail.

I thought that US states approach was rather novel...you can't access any unless you pay a levy of $20...can you please just enter your details here you massive perv.
  • Options
    nielh said:

kyf_100 said:

nielh said:

nielh said:

stodge said:

nielh said:

I'm sorry but honestly ?

That rather contradicts your earlier point though. NATO wouldn't be able to agree what to do.

There's a classic computer game called 'Balance of Power' by Chris Crawford. I have reduced the Earth to a howling radioactive dustbowl over economic aid to Sudan :)
  • Options

Hilarious to log-on this evening and see some some truly pathetic attempts to try and pin Russia's latest state-sponsored murder on Brexit, despite the fact Litvinenko's assassination, the annexation of the Crimea, and their intervention in Ukraine date back well before GE2015 and the passing of the Referendum Act, let alone the vote.

Truly, this site is dominated by some utter Remainiac obsessive loons who can think of nothing else.

Interesting use of the word "dominated", given Leavers are in the majority on here :smile:

And who was trying to pin it on Brexit anyway?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

More likely she's worried she'll end by being screwed.
  • Options

Cookie said:

Oh no, please, not again....Mr Meeks call the Leave campaign Xenophobic or something again, anything, not this.
    This is truly bizarre!

I, like Cookie, have absolutely no idea what the 'Finchley Road conspiracy' is. Nor do I understand Nunghman's references to Christopher Wood and RT. Now maybe I am just being dense as usual... but will somebody please explain, just a little?
  • Options

Interesting use of the word "dominated", given Leavers are in the majority on here :smile:

Leavers are certainly not the majority on on here. All day every day it's links to anti-Brexit stories.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,992
    philiph said:

hunchman said:

Floater said:

hunchman said:

Elliot said:

calum said:

Illuminati? Soros?
    Christopher Wood???
    He shares a first name with the author of the "Dodgy Dossier".

Coincidence? I think not.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @christopherhope: BREAKING Labour has just reissued Jeremy Corbyn's statement on the Salisbury poisoning, taking out the cheap political points he made in the Commons about the Tories taking donations from Russian businessmen
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,100
    Apart from anything else, these people are really dumb..

https://twitter.com/henrikenderlein/status/972882806064939011

• Options
    Scott_P said:

@christopherhope: BREAKING Labour has just reissued Jeremy Corbyn's statement on the Salisbury poisoning, taking out the cheap political points he made in the Commons about the Tories taking donations from Russian businessmen

Stuff about the NHS still in there?
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,945
    Cookie said:

Wasn't it an episode of Sherlock Holmes? :)
  • Options

Cookie said:

This is truly bizarre!

I, like Cookie, have absolutely no idea what the 'Finchley Road conspiracy' is. Nor do I understand Nunghman's references to Christopher Wood and RT. Now maybe I am just being dense as usual... but will somebody please explain, just a little?
    Google is your friend: search "Finchley Road conspiracy" and you will be right in the thick of it.
  • Options

They couldn't possibly have made a more imposing mess if they'd tried, could they?
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,945
    nielh said:

Which is why in the event of a conventional attack on Nato forces the immediate and swift response should be nuclear retaliation. The nuclear option is the only option, IMHO. That is what deterrence is.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

A company formation agent formed a lot of companies. But they were acting as an agent, not a principal.

Or something... :wink:
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,966
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

JackW said:

Pedants' Corner.

EFC were 11th before Saturday. I would get out more...but that would involve watching hoofball from Big Sam.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    [deleted]
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,992
    hunchman said:

philiph said:

hunchman said:

Floater said:

hunchman said:

Elliot said:

calum said:

Illuminati? Soros?
    Christopher Wood???
    His other directorship (singular). He is also a director of Professional Television Services Ltd.

The company is registered at the 16th floor of Millbank Tower. Which is where Russia Today (UK) is headquartered.

I'm struggling to turn your innuendo into an allegation.

Could you help please?
  • Options

Cookie said:

This is truly bizarre!

I genuinely can't help. I have been on this site for a decade or more now and have never understood what Hunchman is getting at about this even though I find him a very nice chap to take to and agree on a lot of other stuff with.

I have tended just to skim over it all as it eventually dies down after a day or so.
  • Options
    On topic, we don't really have a lot of plausible options to hurt Russia, do we? I doubt we're going to get any support from Trump (nor, therefore, from NATO). The EU is unlikely to help, since most of the big players are more interested in building bridges with Russia.

So I expect a token response, a bigger retaliation from Russia, then an uneasy stand-off while the government hopes the dust settles and we all forget... until the next time.
  • Options

Cookie said:

This is truly bizarre!

I genuinely can't help. I have been on this site for a decade or more now and have never understood what Hunchman is getting at about this even though I find him a very nice chap to take to and agree on a lot of other stuff with.

I have tended just to skim over it all as it eventually dies down after a day or so.
    Ok, thanks anyway. At least it's not just me! :smile:
  • Options
    Elliot said:

Leavers are certainly not the majority on on here. All day every day it's links to anti-Brexit stories.
    That doesn't speak to majority, necessarily, but activity. The seeming remainer majority may be amplified by the thread headers generally being from remainers.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

hunchman said:

philiph said:

hunchman said:

Floater said:

hunchman said:

Elliot said:

calum said:

Illuminati? Soros?
    Christopher Wood???
    His other directorship (singular). He is also a director of Professional Television Services Ltd.

The company is registered at the 16th floor of Millbank Tower. Which is where Russia Today (UK) is headquartered.

I'm struggling to turn your innuendo into an allegation.

Could you help please?
    Although under his full name you will find he's a director of "LITTLEHAMPTON GOLF CLUB, LIMITED"

Is that the accusation? That the poor guy has a moderately posh hobby??
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    rcs1000 said:

philiph said:

hunchman said:

Floater said:

hunchman said:

Elliot said:

calum said:

Illuminati? Soros?
    Christopher Wood???

Alistair???
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

They couldn't possibly have made a more imposing mess if they'd tried, could they?
    LOL - have UKIP been advising them? :smile:
  • Options

Cookie said:

This is truly bizarre!

Ok, thanks anyway. At least it's not just me! :smile:
    I'm pretty certain Finchley Road was the HQ of a company registration service that happened to have been used by two people, can't remember their supposed link.
  • Options

Floater said:

Nigelb said:

Just saying.......
    That could be said about an awful lot of government ideas, unfortunately.
  • Options
    philiph said:

rcs1000 said:

philiph said:

hunchman said:

Floater said:

hunchman said:

Elliot said:

calum said:

Illuminati? Soros?
    Christopher Wood???

Alistair???
    Plagiarism doesn't count as writing.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

ydoethur said:

LOL - have UKIP been advising them? :smile:
    More like Gordon Brown (that's a reference to 'British Jobs for British Workers,' btw).
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

It has had its own wikipedia page since 2005 - you'd have hoped a swift google would have been on the cards.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

ydoethur said:

It has had its own wikipedia page since 2005 - you'd have hoped a swift google would have been on the cards.
    It's doubly ironic of course for an avowedly anti-EU party to name themselves after a bunch of Nazi collaborators whose goal was full European unification.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Cookie said:

This is truly bizarre!

Google is your friend: search "Finchley Road conspiracy" and you will be right in the thick of it.
    Yeah I did try that - nothing obvious jumped out from a quick look. On closer inspection am I supposed to be looking at the "Dear Taxpayer, I want to tell you about the Prime Minister's Boiler Room in Finchley Road" site? If so, it looks to be way over on the 'aliens ate my brain' scale of conspiracy theories, and frankly total bollocks (from a quick scan).
  • Options

Cookie said:

This is truly bizarre!

Well I've Googled it.

I can't manage a 100-word summary, but I'll try an even shorter one:
    THey're all in it together. Even Jan-Peter Balkenende.

This is reassuring, as Jan-Peter Balkenende came up as a suggested LinkedIn connecvtion recently. So hopefully I'll be one of the ones allowed to live. I'll put in a good word for you all.
  • Options

On topic, we don't really have a lot of plausible options to hurt Russia, do we? I doubt we're going to get any support from Trump (nor, therefore, from NATO). The EU is unlikely to help, since most of the big players are more interested in building bridges with Russia.

So I expect a token response, a bigger retaliation from Russia, then an uneasy stand-off while the government hopes the dust settles and we all forget... until the next time.

I suspect that if we really put our minds to it we could cause them a considerable amount of grief when it comes to transactions through the City and investments in the UK. I am not sure we have the political will to do so though.

In another era we would have gone to war over the use of chemical weapons against UK citizens. I am not saying we should nor that I am sorry we can't. Just that the world has moved on. We need to find other ways to hurt them. Economically/financially seems a good second choice
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

JackW said:

Pedants' Corner.

EFC were 11th before Saturday. I would get out more...but that would involve watching hoofball from Big Sam.
    Puel's Leicester are very much a curate's egg, at times devastating and at times like watching paint dry. I think he is experimenting with players in preparation for next year, but the players and fans look puzzled a lot of the time. At least we are not persisting with the narrow 442 that won the title, but now sussed by the opposition.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

Cookie said:

This is truly bizarre!

Yeah I did try that - nothing obvious jumped out from a quick look. On closer inspection am I supposed to be looking at the "Dear Taxpayer, I want to tell you about the Prime Minister's Boiler Room in Finchley Road" site? If so, it looks to be way over on the 'aliens ate my brain' scale of conspiracy theories, and frankly total bollocks (from a quick scan).
    That's exactly what someone whose brain has been eaten by an alien would say.
  • Options

I suspect that if we really put our minds to it we could cause them a considerable amount of grief when it comes to transactions through the City and investments in the UK. I am not sure we have the political will to do so though.

In another era we would have gone to war over the use of chemical weapons against UK citizens. I am not saying we should nor that I am sorry we can't. Just that the world has moved on. We need to find other ways to hurt them. Economically/financially seems a good second choice
    Its about how much we are willing to hurt ourselves (or rather be hurt) by doing so as the key point though.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Cookie said:

This is truly bizarre!

"Doesn't look like anything to me" ....
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Cookie said:

This is truly bizarre!

Well I've Googled it.

I can't manage a 100-word summary, but I'll try an even shorter one:
    THey're all in it together. Even Jan-Peter Balkenende.

This is reassuring, as Jan-Peter Balkenende came up as a suggested LinkedIn connecvtion recently. So hopefully I'll be one of the ones allowed to live. I'll put in a good word for you all.
    I should be safe, I live in a quiet neighbourhood out in the sticks, near Salisbury. Oh...
  • Options

It's not just the UK. I bet the Russians have considerable money funnelled through the Caymans, Bermuda, Gibraltar and the like. A combination of freezing assets and targeted release of information documenting Putin's embezzlement of the Russian people's money would be smart.

As for the EU, Merkel and Macron need to decide if they are serious about wanting a security relationship with the UK post-Brexit or not.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Cookie said:

This is truly bizarre!

You've got me there! Still, at least I didn't let slip that my alien shot JFK, eh?
  • Options
    edited March 2018
  • Options

kle4 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Cookie said:

This is truly bizarre!

"Doesn't look like anything to me" ....
    Well played.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Floater said:
    "Yet, in his response, the Labour leader did not criticise the Kremlin. He did not even mention Vladimir Putin."

I am not really sure what you can say to that.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    kle4 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Cookie said:

This is truly bizarre!

It may be that I am confusing my conspiracty theories, and that another conspiracyv theory has co-opted the Finchley Road conspiracy into a rather grander conspiracy - but it appears that everything that has happened in the last 40 years or will happen in the next 80 is the result of a carefully thought out plan by a selection of people including Jan-Peter Balkenende and Ed Balls. I only got down to point 18 in the list, but presumably the plan includes Ed Balls losing Morley and Outwood in 2015 in order to make time to learn the piano, the disappointingly mediocre academic record of my local primary school, and Jamie Carragher getting sacked from Sky Sports for spitting in a girl's face.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050

Cookie said:

This is truly bizarre!

While we are on this kind of stuff...just to clarify I have never bought a property to rent. I have lived in Italy and rented out my own house...I have bought lots of properties, renovated them and sold them on...but sometimes I have held onto properties longer than a year or so to minimise capital gains, and rather than leaving them empty have rented them out. I have a flat that was difficult to sell about 12 years ago, and have left a tenant alone because she is nice without rising her rent in this period.

I have no malice against people who buy to rent...but I do not buy to rent. I buy to sell, but when you play the property game you sometimes end ups with a few properties.

I don't have to justify my actions to the likes of Seant and Casino.. BUT.there are other people who read this site who might the wrong impression based on poisonous, and misleading posting about me.

FWIW..I don't really care how people make their money. As long as its legal and they pay tax, good luck to them...so people who buy to rent, well done.
  • Options

If we don't actually have any options other than nuclear war (and nuclear retaliation) maybe this endorses Corbyn's view of the problem?

• Options

I guess the danger is that if the City is used it'll make the City less attractive for future business from across the world. Then again, long term, maybe reducing th UK's reliance on wealth generated by the City wouldn't be such a bad thing.
This discussion has been closed.