Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The extraordinary comment on Russia by the DefSec and the man

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited March 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The extraordinary comment on Russia by the DefSec and the man who TMay is said to want to succeed her

I’ve been in London all day and have only just viewed the above for myself – the comment from the Defence Secretary, Gavin Williamson that Russia should just “go away and shut up”. Apparently this wasn’t just a spur of the moment comment but one that he had drafted before.

Read the full story here

Comments

• williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,786
    edited March 2018
  • TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Once Brexit is not the only issue, Corbyn is f**ked.

https://twitter.com/samcoatestimes/status/974406839931686913?s=21
  • Gavin's going to undo all of Theresa's hard work
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Maybe Corbyn's speech is having an effect after all.
  • Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    It wasn't just in the speech - the BBC just showed an interview with him where he repeated the same line.
    edited March 2018
    AndyJS said:

I doubt Corbyn's reaction has anything to do with it. Things like this often give the PM a boost, even when the Opposition leader is full-square behind them. It makes the PM look in control and "above politics", and momentarily makes voters forget any dissatisfaction they have with the government on domestic issues.
    Danny565 said:

It wasn't just in the speech - the BBC just showed an interview with him where he repeated the same line.

Scarborough folk are plain speaking.
  • JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    edited March 2018
    Sean_F said:

glw said:

glw said:

Scott_P said:

twitter.com/mrtcharris/status/974400742327975936

Classic stop the war wording....
    I always think of them as Stop the West, it sums up what they are really about.
    And it’s all the Jews fault.....
    I don't know where The Jews get the time to start all these wars, run the banking system, push their candidates to victory in all elections, rule the New World Order, and rig the Eurovision song contest. They must be knackered.
    They multi-task.
    If the Jews corner the pineapple pizza market then we chaps can say goodbye to foreskins .... not too sure todger off-cuts make for decent pizza but perhaps that's the Jewish route to world domination !!
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    I doubt it was corbyns reaction as with all the news he got very little coverage and if you only got a passing listen to a soundbite it didn’t sound that bad. It is only is saddos that found out what he and him putin apologist spinner were saying.
  • I took part in this poll.
  • TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    i.e. plenty of Labour voters who'd take May's position over Corbyn's.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,755
    The poll is still consistent with the parties being essentially tied.
    Danny565 said:

AndyJS said:

I doubt Corbyn's reaction has anything to do with it. Things like this often give the PM a boost, even when the Opposition leader is full-square behind them.
    Not really*. Though we are talking about a fairly modest shift here.

*Actually quite surprisng to look back. For every 9/11 Bush bounce, there are four events with little or no discernible impact.
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812
    Between Johnson and Williamson, do we have the worst FS/DS combo ever?

It’s like having Rainbow’s Bungle the Bear and Zippy in charge.

I mean “in charge” only loosely of course.
  • RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    What did Nick Palmer used to say in his cockier days? Meep meep?
    edited March 2018

Danny565 said:

AndyJS said:

I doubt Corbyn's reaction has anything to do with it. Things like this often give the PM a boost, even when the Opposition leader is full-square behind them.

*Actually quite surprisng to look back. For every 9/11 Bush bounce, there are four events with little or no discernible impact.
    Depends on what you mean by "discernible". If you mean long-lasting, then we're yet to see how long-lasting this one is. But most events of this kind produce a mini-boost for the government for atleast a week or two. Even John Major in his dying days got brief boosts when he "stood up for the country" (e.g. when he attacked EU counties over their British beef ban).
  • The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    TGOHF said:

You believe Labour is polling approx 40% because of Brexit?

The VI for this poll pretty similar to ones we’ve been getting since January.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,755
    JackW said:

Sean_F said:

glw said:

glw said:

Scott_P said:

I don't know where The Jews get the time to start all these wars, run the banking system, push their candidates to victory in all elections, rule the New World Order, and rig the Eurovision song contest. They must be knackered.
    They multi-task.
    If the Jews corner the pineapple pizza market then we chaps can say goodbye to foreskins .... not too sure todger off-cuts make for decent pizza but perhaps that's the Jewish route to world domination !!
    When you see pancetta on pizza, it's..........something else.
  • Sean_F said:

The poll is still consistent with the parties being essentially tied.

Conservatives short by 4 of overall majority

twitter.com/SamCoatesTimes/status/974409036681670659

Scary that 38% think that way...
  • Between Johnson and Williamson, do we have the worst FS/DS combo ever?

The Lord Halifax/Leslie Hore-Belisha combo was worse.

I took part in this poll.

So the Labour score is overstated !! .. :smile:
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,050
    TGOHF said:

On the contrary, he gained seats at the last election by avoiding the Brexit issue.

In terms of polling, a lot depends on what happens next.
    Sean_F said:

JackW said:

Sean_F said:

glw said:

glw said:

Scott_P said:

They multi-task.
    When you see pancetta on pizza, it's..........something else.
    :smiley:
    LOL at that 44% don’t know. Like come on....

At least Hore-Belisha gave his name to something useful.
    That 5% - did they survey Labour Party leaders office?
  • JackW said:

I took part in this poll.

So the Labour score is overstated !! .. :smile:
    Nah, I'll never vote Labour.

Hores?

Yes ... and Finchley Road and the staff at Russia Today.
  • glwglw Posts: 9,535

I can accept that some people are not sure, because of doubts they may have due to previous intelligence misuse. But I have no idea how anyone has come to the conclusion that the Russian's DIDN'T do it.
    Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

AndyJS said:

Depends on what you mean by "discernible". If you mean long-lasting, then we're yet to see how long-lasting this one is. But most events of this kind produce a mini-boost for the government for atleast a week or two. Even John Major in his dying days got brief boosts when he "stood up for the country" (e.g. when he attacked EU counties over their British beef ban).
    I mean this is one poll for one pollster on one day, showing perhaps noise+2%. I am not overstating it.

The primary impact will be to unify the Tories, and create problems in Labour ranks, which will then be felt down the line.
  • Just remember these are two nuclear armed powers with shocking command and control functions.

https://twitter.com/iainmarlow/status/974158418016534528
    Incidentally, people seem to have missed that Corbyn said this in his Guardian article earlier:

We agree with the government’s action in relation to Russian diplomats, but measures to tackle the oligarchs and their loot would have a far greater impact on Russia’s elite than limited tit-for-tat expulsions. We are willing to back further sanctions as and when the investigation into the Salisbury attack produces results.

Corbyn would be in the "probably" group, with 41%.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,952

LOL at that 44% don’t know. Like come on....
    Were they looking at their shoes as they answered?

They know alright. They know they have a prize pillock as leader.

Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

AndyJS said:

I mean this is one poll for one pollster on one day, showing perhaps noise+2%. I am not overstating it.

The primary impact will be to unify the Tories, and create problems in Labour ranks, which will then be felt down the line.
    The contrast between Corbyn here and Michael Foot's HoC speech during the Saturday Falklands debate is stark.
  • Danny565 said:

Incidentally, people seem to have missed that Corbyn said this in his Guardian article earlier:

We agree with the government’s action in relation to Russian diplomats, but measures to tackle the oligarchs and their loot would have a far greater impact on Russia’s elite than limited tit-for-tat expulsions. We are willing to back further sanctions as and when the investigation into the Salisbury attack produces results.

Corbyn shot himself in the foot in full media view yesterday and no amount of rowing back can undo the damage he has done to himself in the eye of public opinion
  • steve_garnersteve_garner Posts: 1,019

Danny565 said:

Corbyn shot himself in the foot in full media view yesterday and no amount of rowing back can undo the damage he has done to himself in the eye of public opinion
    Say it ain't so Foxy.
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    RoyalBlue said:

What did Nick Palmer used to say in his cockier days? Meep meep?

Tick tock I believe - including just before THAT exit poll in 2015

Danny565 said:

Ha, we can always rely on you for a neutral assessment of events :D
  • Foxy said:

Corbyn would be in the "probably" group, with 41%.
    Not the public's perception
  • Corbyn shot himself in the foot over his shoot to kill to policy.

Didn't stop him denying the Tories a majority last June and making net gains.
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited March 2018
    On topic (someone has to be): No, Williamson hasn't blown it, because there was nothing to blow. There are precisely two people in the Conservative Party who want him to be the next leader, and the support of one of them is going to be negative if he does throw his hat into the ring.
  • Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    I would have thought the institutes, groups and think tanks where Russian state money is funnelled into would be notable targets for a crack down.
    Foxy said:

TGOHF said:

On the contrary, he gained seats at the last election by avoiding the Brexit issue.

Time to put on the brown trousers Foxy - your cult leader is an absolute dud.
  • Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

Just been shown on Russia Today with Russian commentary using his comments against the UK

No, Williamson hasn't blown it, because there was nothing to blow. There are precisely two people in the Conservative Party who want him to be the next leader, and the support of one of them is going to be negative if he does throw his hat into the ring.

+1. Williamson is delusional, I have no idea why he thinks he might even be in with chance. How he’s managed to even get this far in politics is beyond me.
    TGOHF said:

Foxy said:

TGOHF said:

Nah, you mistake me for Big G. It is May that is the dud.

I voted for Kendall.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,840
    TGOHF said:

Foxy said:

TGOHF said:

Land of hope and Tories :D
  • Anyhoo this is the big story tonight.

https://twitter.com/MSmithsonPB/status/974413367417896960

Pulpstar said:

TGOHF said:

Foxy said:

TGOHF said:

That is what we were told a year ago. How did that work out?
  • MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,921
    Foxy said:

Pulpstar said:

TGOHF said:

Foxy said:

TGOHF said:

That is what we were told a year ago. How did that work out?
    We still have a Tory government, and lots of hope as long as Corbz is nowhere near the levers of power.
    2 Russian shills on QT - plus how nasty will Mr Starmer be about Corbyn ?

Hores?
    Eh? No! Belisha Beacons.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belisha_beacon

Hores?
    Eh? No! Belisha Beacons.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belisha_beacon
    I know, I was joking
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,262

Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

Just been shown on Russia Today with Russian commentary using his comments against the UK
    You a regular RT viewer? :wink:
  • SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,876
    I never heard Williamson speak before. Sounds like his voice has yet to break. What on earth makes him even vaguely qualified to be defence secretary?
    Chris Williamson on Newsnight.
    Dimbles doing a very good job chairing this panel.
    Russian goon flailing on QT - totally misjudged the mood. Like Corbyn.

I never heard Williamson speak before. Sounds like his voice has yet to break. What on earth makes him even vaguely qualified to be defence secretary?

While Rory The Tory, a bloke who was a governor of a region of a war torn country, never gets the call.
    Grayling nailed it on QT. To be fair, Starmer did a good job too.

Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

He likes to know what Corbyn's thinking
  • Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

No - I rarely view it but this was not me viewing it it was Sky showing how Russia were using Corbyn on it

God knows tbh
  • Plus Gavin Williamson's an adulterer.

You can't trust him, if he can betray his wife he can betray his country.

The bloke's a honeytrap in the making.
    To be fair I seem to remember Nick Griffin was allowed on QT, and he did himself no favours. Hopefully more people will see through RT's cloak of journalism.
    Brian “Salmond” Cox pining for the Russian fjords.
    glw said:

To be fair I seem to remember Nick Griffin was allowed on QT, and he did himself no favours. Hopefully more people will see through RT's cloak of journalism.
    +1

The RT chap is failing to get any positive response from the audience.
    glw said:

Judging by that recent YouGov poll with only 5% believing it wasn’t Russia who did it, most already see through RT.
  • Mortimer said:

glw said:

+1

The RT chap is failing to get any positive response from the audience.
    Do you mean Corbyn !!!
    edited March 2018
    The biggest town in Gavin Williamson's constituency is Wombourne. Is that where the Wombles came from?
    edited March 2018
    A bizarre and deeply inadvisable editorial choice.

“And in Gloucester tonight, former MP Oswald Mosley, popular broadcaster Lord Haw-Haw, and German ambassador Joachim von Ribbentrop. And the first question comes from a lady in the audience...yes, you with the swastika armband.”
    edited March 2018
    QT has turned into a total joke. Last week it was the kid off Blue Peter FFS.
  • QT has turned into a total joke. Last week it was the kid off Blue Peter FFS.

I never watch it
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    edited March 2018
    Scott_P said:
    I find Corbyn, and those pushing this line, quite frustrating at times. Usually the same people are saying how little we can and should do to avoid 'escalation', while others complain about how little we are doing, so where in the flying f*** is this drift to war he thinks is happening, because some nasty words are being thrown about and a few diplomats sent home?

I have always been a firm believer in not overreacting to things, and in foreign relations that clearly applies even more than in most areas, you have to be cold and rational sometimes for the sake of larger goals. But what does annoy me is when people are so concerned about overreacting that they criticise purported overreaction so early that they are, in effect, arguing against a reaction not an overrreaction. It puts me most in mind of how the NRA immediately paints any reaction to a gun massacre as an overreaction.

Sending some diplomats home and speaking angry words - where we believe culpability is 'highly likely' from a certain source - is not exactly disproportionate escalation, so other than what is bound to be people mouthing off on twitter and what, one minister making a less than dignified statement of the type the Russians seem to be full of, what exactly makes people think we have overreacted? Unless one thinks we are just making up what has happened the reaction has not been extreme (and no, that does not mean people cannot question events to some degree).
    kle4 said:

I have always been a firm believer in not overreacting to things, and in foreign relations that clearly applies even more than in most areas, you have to be cold and rational sometimes for the sake of larger goals. But what does annoy me is when people are so concerned about overreacting that they criticise purported overreaction so early that they are, in effect, arguing against a reaction not an overrreaction.

Well said.

Russian guy is lasering on Starmer for letting down Corbyn.
  • And in all this has anyone seen Diane Abbott - she was the shadow home secretary last time I looked

How did he do?

As a relatively squeaky voiced man, I sympathise with the lack of authoritativeness he has as a result.
    kle4 said:

How did he do?
    He was pretty lame.

No, Williamson hasn't blown it, because there was nothing to blow. There are precisely two people in the Conservative Party who want him to be the next leader, and the support of one of them is going to be negative if he does throw his hat into the ring.

+1. Williamson is delusional, I have no idea why he thinks he might even be in with chance. How he’s managed to even get this far in politics is beyond me.
    Well, confidence and boldness will take incompetents a long way. Sometimes to the very top even, though if he is as bad as they say hopefully not in this instance.
    Foxy said:

kle4 said:

How did he do?
    He was pretty lame.
    He couldn't even make something out of sticky-back plastic....

Just remember these are two nuclear armed powers with shocking command and control functions.

https://twitter.com/iainmarlow/status/974158418016534528

Christ, that is almost funny were it not for the stakes involved.
    kle4 said:

Well, confidence and boldness will take incompetents a long way. Sometimes to the very top even, though if he is as bad as they say hopefully not in this instance.
    May clearly values Williamson, which says something about him. Or perhaps says more about her!
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,840
    AndyJS said:

The biggest town in Gavin Williamson's constituency is Wombourne. Is that where the Wombles came from?

I thought they were Stephen Hammond's constituents
  • Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,232
    The squeaky voice can be addressed. George Osborne was squeaky early in his career but cured it with voice training; now he more or less bestrides British politics and political commentary. The choice of rhetoric is more of a worry. Why 'shut up'? Russia's silence might be welcome but it's hardly our principal concern right now.
    Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

I thought they were Stephen Hammond's constituents
    Sorry about that, I was joking.

The squeaky voice can be addressed. George Osborne was squeaky early in his career but cured it with voice training; now he more or less bestrides British politics and political commentary. The choice of rhetoric is more of a worry. Why 'shut up'? Russia's silence might be welcome but it's hardly our principal concern right now.

I didn't realise that being a city freesheet editor means you're bestriding British politics.
    Mortimer said:

I didn't realise that being a city freesheet editor means you're bestriding British politics.
    Well, it is perhaps easier to bestride than it used to be.

GO now works for a Russian.
  • swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,435
    Defence Secretaries have always been at the fringes....Liam Fox's demise came about in that role and enough said about Fingers Fallon. Labour treated it as a part time post for a number of years so its trajectory has definitely fallen since Hezza's day.

Williamson's appointment (like BJs) was one of those May mysteries to me. A post that should have gravitas (Trident) occupied by an immature Adrian Mole type character - I suppose it makes May appear stateswomanlike. I can only see Williamson ending up as leader - on the opposition benches
This discussion has been closed.