Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Another day and another antisemitic issue that Corbyn has to f

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited March 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Another day and another antisemitic issue that Corbyn has to find an answer for

BBC: Jeremy Corbyn regrets comments about 'anti-Semitic' mural https://t.co/QPKnndQTO4

Read the full story here

Comments

• tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,165
    First like Cambridge girls.
  • BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191
    "My suggestion is that he visits Yad Vashem – the World Holocaust Remembrance Centre near Jerusalem."

yeah, what could possibly go wrong

- _-
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    Fen poly fillies smashing it here
  • I don't think Corbyn is an anti-Semite, he's just thick.
    Pulpstar said:

I’ve lost a few bets recently so reluctant to get on, but the Oxford men are quite a long price for a two horse race.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,718

"My suggestion is that he visits Yad Vashem – the World Holocaust Remembrance Centre near Jerusalem."

- _-

- _-

There's a considerable distance, surely, between horror at the Holocaust...... and there have been some pretty horrendous anti-Jewish episodes in English history...... and a view of the Israeli-Palestinan conflict.
  • "My suggestion is that he visits Yad Vashem – the World Holocaust Remembrance Centre near Jerusalem."

- _-

'I oppose all forms of Holocausts.'
    Pulpstar said:

As you say!
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    The Cult won't care and the Labour tribalists and other supporters don't seem too fussed either.
  • The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    FPT:
    Foxy said:

Dr. Foxy, people have been expressing discontent with the EU and our level of integration with it for decades. Just denouncing it as populism rather disregards the genuine and long-held concerns people had, and may, I fear, be used as an excuse by those who are pro-EU to avoid having to bother with engaging with said concerns or, in some cases, even treating them as valid.

If such concerns had been treated more seriously ahead of time, we would have voted to remain.

King Cole, and thanks for asking :)

Brexitism is just one example of right wing Populism. Trumpism, Le Pen, Orban, even Putin all drink from the same cup. Most political movements have movements have their origins in some degree of percieved greivance. Those wanting to counter the Left wing Populists like Corbyn should not be blind to the grievances that cause followers to flock to him

Yep. I firmly believe that the Iraq war and its aftermath was one of the causes of the resurgence of the radical left. It lead so many to walk away from left of centre, moderate, social democracy. The other big reason is dissatisfaction with the current economic settlement.
  • FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    OT. Has anyone seen Sunil recently? Seems like I haven't seen him post in a while
  • SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    What, actually go to Israel and talk to Israeli's ???

Don't be silly Mike.
  • The Cult won't care and the Labour tribalists and other supporters don't seem too fussed either.

This is why Mrs May should have fired Anne Marie Morris for the use of the n word.

Not only would it have been the right thing to do, it would have provided a nice contrast to Labour.
  • Freggles said:

OT. Has anyone seen Sunil recently? Seems like I haven't seen him post in a while

He posted on the last thread.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,068

I don't think Corbyn is an anti-Semite, he's just thick.

I think DavidL was right earlier, he has an instinctive sympathy for the underdog. It is a characteristic aspect of his Britishness. I don't think he is personally anti-semetic as much as too tolerant of it.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,771
    WARNING: I'M ABOUT TO UPGRADE THE SERVER. THERE MAY BE SOME DOWNTIME.
  • rcs1000 said:

WARNING: I'M ABOUT TO UPGRADE THE SERVER. THERE MAY BE SOME DOWNTIME.

Don't you dare delete my morning thread, it contains a pun I'm very proud of.

FPT:

Foxy said:

Dr. Foxy, people have been expressing discontent with the EU and our level of integration with it for decades. Just denouncing it as populism rather disregards the genuine and long-held concerns people had, and may, I fear, be used as an excuse by those who are pro-EU to avoid having to bother with engaging with said concerns or, in some cases, even treating them as valid.

If such concerns had been treated more seriously ahead of time, we would have voted to remain.

Brexitism is just one example of right wing Populism. Trumpism, Le Pen, Orban, even Putin all drink from the same cup. Most political movements have movements have their origins in some degree of percieved greivance. Those wanting to counter the Left wing Populists like Corbyn should not be blind to the grievances that cause followers to flock to him

Yep. I firmly believe that the Iraq war and its aftermath was one of the causes of the resurgence of the radical left. It lead so many to walk away from left of centre, moderate, social democracy. The other big reason is dissatisfaction with the current economic settlement.
    Indeed it was the Iraq war, and the increasing marketisation of the NHS, that caused me to resign from the Labour party 15 years ago. I had been a member for 10 years, but exited stage left.
    2-0 Cambridge. ☹️

The men had better do a better job.

Freggles said:

He posted on the last thread.
    Seems like I'm not lurking enough!

I was remembering his "Note: the subject responds to the stimulus as expected!" trolling
  • tlg86 said:

2-0 Cambridge. ☹️

All right thinking people will be cheering for Cambridge.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5531741/Oxford-University-rower-selected-Boat-Race-despite-KKK-costume.html
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,688

tlg86 said:

2-0 Cambridge. ☹️

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5531741/Oxford-University-rower-selected-Boat-Race-despite-KKK-costume.html
    Quite right, turf Oxford out and give Hull a chance!

tlg86 said:

2-0 Cambridge. ☹️

Maybe he was going as a ghost :o
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    FPT
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

viewcode said:

TGOHF said:

Remainers drinking the EU Kool Aid again - you can’t have human rights without the ECHR ? What piffle.

The question is not whether one can have human rights outwith the ECHR, the question is what is the motive in wanting to withdraw from it.
    Well can I suggest like Brexit it isn’t about something better , worse or different for a laugh - it’s about being able to vote in and out those who make the laws.
    You can suggest it but it isn’t true.
    One day these über Remainers might “get” why they lost. But it’s not here yet.
    The bigger problem is that the Jurassic Leavers have no idea why they won.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,765
    Foxy said:

I think DavidL was right earlier, he has an instinctive sympathy for the underdog. It is a characteristic aspect of his Britishness. I don't think he is personally anti-semetic as much as too tolerant of it.
    The problem is when sympathy for the underdog turns into the belief that the underdog can do no wrong.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,969
    edited March 2018
    Omnium said:

tlg86 said:

2-0 Cambridge. ☹️

Plus Oxford's second team glorify ISIS.
    Omnium said:

tlg86 said:

2-0 Cambridge. ☹️

Could be like the Cambridge MCCU cricket side; once Cambridge Uni only, recently ARU!

tlg86 said:

2-0 Cambridge. ☹️

Who hasn't worn a KKK costume?
  • nielhnielh Posts: 1,307
    Foxy said:

FPT:

Foxy said:

Indeed it was the Iraq war, and the increasing marketisation of the NHS, that caused me to resign from the Labour party 15 years ago. I had been a member for 10 years, but exited stage left.
    It was the abandonment of any progressive vision. It just became managerial politics, with ultimately disastorous consequences.

FPT:

Foxy said:

The moderate centre left was hugely damaged by the recession of 2008/10. Governments ran out of money, public spending had to be cut, and gains for one group meant losses for another.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,969
    edited March 2018
    Perhaps ISIS are right, the West is a decadent place that commits all kinds of shameful sins.

Pineapples set to topple avocados with Britons wanting more.

Supermarkets say pineapple is UK’s fastest growing fruit with sales surging 15% in 2017.....

...... The controversial Hawaiian pizza is also staging a comeback, Tesco said, and whether down to laziness or fears of avocado hand-style injuries, sales of ready chopped pineapple “fingers” were up 30%.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/mar/23/pineapples-set-to-topple-avocados-with-britons-wanting-more
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,092
  • Cheating Aussie convicts.

Australia's Cameron Bancroft has admitted he tampered with the ball during the third Test against South Africa - and captain Steve Smith says he knew of the plan in advance.

Television footage showed Bancroft take what he said was yellow tape out of his trouser pocket before rubbing the ball.

The 25-year-old said after play he had been charged with attempting to change the condition of the ball.

Smith said it was a "big mistake" but added he would not stand down.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/43526870
    On topic, Jeremy Corbyn has not taken a single step in 40 years to reassure those worried about the extent of anti-Semitism in the hard left. I doubt he’s about to start now.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,771
    geoffw said:
    What an idiot. Most people hire firms to edit to their wikipedia pages and bolster them with tonnes of spurious links.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614

Cheating Aussie convicts.

Australia's Cameron Bancroft has admitted he tampered with the ball during the third Test against South Africa - and captain Steve Smith says he knew of the plan in advance.

Television footage showed Bancroft take what he said was yellow tape out of his trouser pocket before rubbing the ball.

The 25-year-old said after play he had been charged with attempting to change the condition of the ball.

And they’ve just started with the ball tampering now, or have they been doing it their whole summer..?

And they’ve just started with the ball tampering now, or have they been doing it their whole summer..?
    dupe
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,771

Pretty much what I said earlier. His stupidity really can’t be underestimated.
  • Sandpit said:

If the captain is involved then it is probably institutionalised, so they did it during the Ashes I reckon.
    All over. Fen poly win
    nielh said:

Foxy said:

FPT:

Foxy said:

It was the abandonment of any progressive vision. It just became managerial politics, with ultimately disastorous consequences.
    Partly, but managerialism is not intrinsically a turnoff. The killer for me was the mendacity, not just over the Iraq war, but over internal issues too. In 1997 the pledge was to end the internal market in the NHS. There are pros and cons to this as a policy, but my point is that the Blair government mendaciously went back on the policy.

I am not the only citizen affronted by this. Why should we believe any politician if they lie so brazenly? Either stick to the policy or don't make it policy in the first place. The same is true of the LibDems over tuition fees, or Cameron over his Brexit "renegotiation".

Corbyn gets this, perhaps unintentionally. He is as stubbon as a mule, and he has an air of authenticity as a result. He didn't have an easy time over his SF links, but he stuck to it, however unpopular. What he lost in terms of patriotism he gained in consistency.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392

Surely the new demerit system or whatever has to be a factor now - despite the apology it wasn't a mistake, it was as Smith otherwise says, a planned choice, and Smith's words are that it was a group of players, not just him and Bancroft, who thought it would be a good idea.
  • Pulpstar said:

All over. Fen poly win

Don't curse us.
  • More on the Aussie cheating. Includes video.

http://www.sacricketmag.com/smith-bancroft-admit-cheating/
    Mr. Glenn, odd timing. Too late to change anything, and I suspect a lot of people will remember the £9m of taxpayers' money spent on pro-Remain propaganda by Cameron.
  • MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Having MAs from both universities my one will win
  • Cambridge are magic, Oxford are tragic.

#BoatRace2018
    rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:
    What an idiot. Most people hire firms to edit to their wikipedia pages and bolster them with tonnes of spurious links.
    He's not an idiot. Far from it. It is just brazen. But two for the price of one, what a delicious prospect.
  • Oxford will be lucky to finish second here.
    Foxy said:

nielh said:

Foxy said:

FPT:

Foxy said:

I am not the only citizen affronted by this. Why should we believe any politician if they lie so brazenly? Either stick to the policy or don't make it policy in the first place. The same is true of the LibDems over tuition fees, or Cameron over his Brexit "renegotiation".

Corbyn gets this, perhaps unintentionally. He is as stubbon as a mule, and he has an air of authenticity as a result. He didn't have an easy time over his SF links, but he stuck to it, however unpopular. What he lost in terms of patriotism he gained in consistency.
    You are not, Dr F, by any means the only citizen affronted. I was horrified by Iraq, although as (then) a LibDem, proud of the stance Kennedy took. I thought the Coalition was necessary, but am, almost, as appalled by the LibDem support for what I regard as regressive measures... tuition fees were the least of my problems.
    So I agree with your last paragraph.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

twitter.com/MichaelLCrick/status/977600013273587712

Not on the scale of HMG's overspending with the free pamphlet they got to send to each and every household in the land.
  • So Mrs May's gonna need a new Political Secretary.

In the immortal words of Mr Humphries, 'I'm free'
  • Cambridge = Scipio Africanus

Oxford = Hannibal
  • RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223

So Mrs May's gonna need a new Political Secretary.

In the immortal words of Mr Humphries, 'I'm free'

Or Mr Sanni is going to have to pay for some very expensive lawyers.

As Big G said, this will change nothing.
    edited March 2018
    Deleted
    The search for reasons that explains how all the clever people who thought remain was the correct answer were beaten by a bus goes on. It’s a bit sad.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,748

Sandpit said:

If the captain is involved then it is probably institutionalised, so they did it during the Ashes I reckon.
    Maybe they didn't need to bother cheating against the Poms..
    On topic has anyone seen or got a picture of this mural? Just how obvious was it that it was anti-Semitic?
    DavidL said:

The search for reasons that explains how all the clever people who thought remain was the correct answer were beaten by a bus goes on. It’s a bit sad.

The complete delusion among Leavers about why they won is more pressing.
  • Normally PB Leavers get really outraged at potentially illegal electoral practices involving members of the Asian community.

What's wrong with you people?
    And what are they hoping to actually achieve with a complaint nearly two years after the event?
  • DavidL said:

On topic has anyone seen or got a picture of this mural? Just how obvious was it that it was anti-Semitic?

Here you go.

• williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,787
    Sandpit said:

And what are they hoping to actually achieve with a complaint nearly two years after the event?

Another referendum is coming.
    https://twitter.com/LeedsEurope/status/977518011228852224
    DavidL said:

We don't really know what the correct answer was, nor will we ever know. There is a small chance that Brexit is wildly helpful to the UK, and as such we might conclude that Brexit was the right answer. There's a somewhat larger chance that the UK might have a substantial downturn - it'd be reasonable to conclude that Brexit was the wrong answer if that happened. (More bad things can influence this than good things though)
    edited March 2018
    Not as obsessed with F1 as many on here but 2 thoughts.

The new safety barrier around the driver looks awful.

Lewis Hamilton’s lap to take pole was absolutely incredible.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,046
    DavidL said:

It's in the thread about it. It features bloated oligarchs all with very prominent noses.
    Mr. Glenn, Leeds was almost exactly split. I think it was 50.2% for Remain.

Mr. Sandpit, a reversal of our departure must be the aim.

Sandpit said:

Good on them, but they’re two years too late.
    DavidL said:

Not as obsessed with F1 as many on here but 2 thoughts.

The new safety barrier around the driver looks awful.

Lewis Hamilton’s lap to take pole was absolutely incredible.

Agree on both counts.

DavidL said:

Here you go.

Thanks. Pardon my ignorance but are the Illuminati supposed to be Jewish?
  • MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Sandpit said:

To take away the legitimacy of the Leave victory. If a parliamentary candidate was found to have cheated over expenses then the result could be annuled.
  • DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Here you go.

Yeah, the noses uses a well known anti-Semitic trope.

Mr. Glenn, Leeds was almost exactly split. I think it was 50.2% for Remain.

Mr. Sandpit, a reversal of our departure must be the aim.

Leave are doing nothing to cement their victory. A reversal looks very possible in the medium term.
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Good on them, but they’re two years too late.
    It's never too late, unless of course we've ceased to be a democracy? Brexit has brought about the kind of pro-EU grassroots movement that was lacking in 2016.
    Omnium said:

DavidL said:

We don't really know what the correct answer was, nor will we ever know. There is a small chance that Brexit is wildly helpful to the UK, and as such we might conclude that Brexit was the right answer. There's a somewhat larger chance that the UK might have a substantial downturn - it'd be reasonable to conclude that Brexit was the wrong answer if that happened. (More bad things can influence this than good things though)
    Much, much more likely is that things will continue very much the same as before with people continuing to argue whether it made a difference at the margins or whether it was worth the effort.
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 24,967
    Foxy said:

nielh said:

Foxy said:

FPT:

Foxy said:

Partly, but managerialism is not intrinsically a turnoff. The killer for me was the mendacity, not just over the Iraq war, but over internal issues too. In 1997 the pledge was to end the internal market in the NHS. There are pros and cons to this as a policy, but my point is that the Blair government mendaciously went back on the policy.

The mendacity upset many natural centre-right supporters - not just Blair's but his self-styled 'heir'

' Paying down Britain's debts '
    ' Halved the bill '
    ' Reduce net immigration to the tens of thousands '
    ' 70,000 strong moderate army '

We had 'radical centralism' for nearly twenty years and it shafted large parts of the population.

What did those 60% Leave towns get from the parties of 'minesandfactories' and 'March of the Makers' but manufacturing output lower in June 2016 than it was in May 1997 plus immigration which was uncontrolled, unprepared for and what was promised would not happen.

While what did the young get but a housing crisis, stagnant wages, a two trillion quid national debt (borrowed to spend on the oldies) and ever rising student debt.
    Corbyn is just unwise. He and Wisdom don't share the same house. He portrays himself as some wise old sage, but in truth he's the opposite. Corbyn is an unwise-old-sage. Weirdly and bafflingly, deliberately so.
    Mr. L, aye. It looks appalling.

Mr. Meeks, a reversal is still possible. But it may reduce British politics to decades of bitter trench warfare.

Sandpit said:

To take away the legitimacy of the Leave victory. If a parliamentary candidate was found to have cheated over expenses then the result could be annuled.
    I see where they’re trying to go with it, but the actual decision to leave by invoking Article 50 was via primary legislation passed last year. This is different from an election for an MP, where a candidate is returned at the end of the process.

As others have mentioned, any bending of the rules over referendum campaign spending can’t also ignore the taxpayer-funded Remain leaflet that dropped on everyone’s doormat a week before the formal campaign started.

Mr. L, aye. It looks appalling.

Mr. Meeks, a reversal is still possible. But it may reduce British politics to decades of bitter trench warfare.

That was certain once Leave fought and won the referendum through xenophobic lies.

DavidL said:

Maybe Remain had the worse case.

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Here you go.

Ok, I think I can see that now. Is it just possible that Corbyn didn’t?
    Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

There's no doubt about it. Cameron's message of never joining the Euro was like asking people to accept eternal mediocrity.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Here you go.

Just like when he didn’t see all those empty seats on the train or twice when he was a member of a antisemitic / conspiracy nutter groups on Facebook.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,748
    edited March 2018
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Here you go.

Shocking slur against fine, upstanding Masons also..
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Here you go.

I'd see it as anti-Masonic as well as anti-Jewish.

Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

There's no doubt about it. Cameron's message of never joining the Euro was like asking people to accept eternal mediocrity.
    I could be reaching here, but I doubt whether people were voting for More Europe.
    Pro-EU marchers in Exeter today too. Who'd have expected to see this on our streets back in 2015?
    https://twitter.com/Devon4Europe/status/977579473968226305

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Here you go.

Just like when he didn’t see all those empty seats on the train or twice when he was a member of a antisemitic / conspiracy nutter groups on Facebook.
    I’m not saying he’s not a liar. He is a politician after all. I’m just saying my first thought on seeing the mural is that the artist had delusions about the Illuminati secretly running the world to their own advantage, not an anti-Semitic conspiracy.
  • steve_garnersteve_garner Posts: 1,019

Sandpit said:

The Referendum was advisory. Parliament voted to trigger Article 50 by a substantial majority.
    Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Here you go.

I'd see it as anti-Masonic as well as anti-Jewish.
    If you showed it to a child, he or she would know nothing about “well known anti Semitic tropes”, nor about Masonic symbolism. All they would see is black people as slaves for white people.
  • RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223

Pro-EU marchers in Exeter today too. Who'd have expected to see this on our streets back in 2015?
    https://twitter.com/Devon4Europe/status/977579473968226305

No you can’t, and no you won’t.

Leave would win a second referendum with a larger margin, but it doesn’t matter because there won’t be one.
  • DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Here you go.

Depends on

1) How good the picture resolution was on Facebook

2) Had Corbyn been to mural in person
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited March 2018
    It is true that when a narrative like this starts it will be difficult to close down but do people really care and do those who do care actually believe that Jeremy Corbyn is a racist? I don't think so. There's a lot of reasons not to fancy Corbyn as PM but being an anti Semite would come near the bottom of a long list.
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Here you go.

Look at Nick Cohen's excoriation of Corbyn and the Left wrt Jews and Zionism.

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Here you go.

Depends on

1) How good the picture resolution was on Facebook

2) Had Corbyn been to mural in person
    That would still beg the question what Jeremy Corbyn was referring to when he commented that Rockefeller had effaced a mural that featured Lenin.
This discussion has been closed.