Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A message to political leaders – Remember, you are mortal.

Comments

• NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,587

Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

Zuckerberg refuses to answer MPs

Mark Zuckerberg has refused to personally answer MPs questions regarding Facebook's use of its users' data.

Instead, he will send a deputy who will make themselves available to give evidence to the culture committee.

While bugging your phone (if you use Android)...
    https://slate.com/technology/2018/03/facebook-acknowledges-it-kept-records-of-calls-and-texts-from-android-users.html
    Hurrah for Apple.
    Does this mean I can get a payout like those clebs with the Sun/Mirror ?
    Nah. It was buried in the T&Cs of the app I believe.
    Time to update the unfair contract terms legislation.
    The new data protection act should end this.

Person A may have consented, but Person B (who Person A has called, added to contacts, etc.) has not. If there were ever a case under domestic legislation that such consent would be implied, that has gone.

I suppose it might be different if Person B was also a facebook user.

Of course, there is another aspect to the argument...

https://www.politico.eu/article/opinion-europes-ai-delusion/
    One obvious advantage China enjoys is access to almost unlimited pools of data. The machine-learning technologies boosting the current wave of AI expansion are as good as the amount of data they can use. That could be the number of people driving cars, photos labeled on the internet or voice samples for translation apps. With 700 or 800 million Chinese internet users and fewer data protection rules, China is as rich in data as the Gulf States are in oil….

…I was asked to comment on a draft of the AI strategy the European Commission will publish on April 24. My initial assessment is that it has almost nothing to do with reality.
  • RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223

RoyalBlue said:

I don't mind them, but it's the way they ram it down your throat.
    Are you happy with us preying on the young and impressionable?
    “Children who need to be taught to respect traditional European values are being taught that they have an inalienable right to be sovereign.”
    As Lady Gaga said, we were born this way.
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,979
    HHemmelig said:

DavidL said:

I think it is relevant to the context in which the advice was given and why it might have been given. Whether there was any need to make it public is more debatable but nearly all the publicity about it seems to have come from the agents for the whistleblower.

If you stick your head above the parapet you can't complain when it gets blown off. Twas ever thus. I'm a staunch Remainer but all this complaining about campaign spending comes across to me like sour grapes, likely to backfire with the general public. That the BBC, Guardian etc are giving airtime to this 6th Form common room spat is beyond ridiculous.
    I agree. I remember the AV campaign got involved in similar process arguments. The public isn't interested, and as you say, it comes across as sour grapes.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg has said he will not appear before MPs investigating fake news, but will send one of his senior executives instead.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-43554135
  • oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    RobD said:
    Doesn't sound like whistleblowing to me...
    Barnesian said:

HHemmelig said:

DavidL said:

I think it is relevant to the context in which the advice was given and why it might have been given. Whether there was any need to make it public is more debatable but nearly all the publicity about it seems to have come from the agents for the whistleblower.

If you stick your head above the parapet you can't complain when it gets blown off. Twas ever thus. I'm a staunch Remainer but all this complaining about campaign spending comes across to me like sour grapes, likely to backfire with the general public. That the BBC, Guardian etc are giving airtime to this 6th Form common room spat is beyond ridiculous.
    I agree. I remember the AV campaign got involved in similar process arguments. The public isn't interested, and as you say, it comes across as sour grapes.
    Particularly as Remain outspent Leave by more than £5 million and still lost
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,961

How thoughtful of you to make other people's life decisions for them.

Obviously I'm a firm believer in being out. Some other people do not feel the same way. They are entitled to make their own choices on the matter.

And Stephen Parkinson is quite entitled to provide the context of the alleged whistleblowing, which he did without fuss (all the fuss came from the other side). He is, after all, being accused in public of a potentially career-wrecking and possibly criminal offence by his ex-boyfriend, who was the one who made the choice to go public on this whole story.

If you want to allocate blame for any distress caused by the outing, I'd suggest the lawyers who are using Shahmir Sanni for political ends might be a better target.
    Their friendship is relevant context to his defence. Their having been lovers is not.

Even if you believe otherwise, Stephen Parkinson is not an elected politician and as such could have provided more detail in private to his employer. He did not need to go public at all. He made choices, choices that have had a direct impact on someone else's private life. This is a grave mistake.
    Did Stephen Parkinson know, or ought he to have known, that he was outing Shahmir Sanni?
    Should Shamir Sanni have expected to be assumed to be gay when he attended a Pride event at 10 Downing Street? Surely it is bad form for a straight person to appropriate a place at such an event? If he was a plus one of a gay person, would that be a reasonable assumption to make?
  • TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

How thoughtful of you to make other people's life decisions for them.

Obviously I'm a firm believer in being out. Some other people do not feel the same way. They are entitled to make their own choices on the matter.

And Stephen Parkinson is quite entitled to provide the context of the alleged whistleblowing, which he did without fuss (all the fuss came from the other side). He is, after all, being accused in public of a potentially career-wrecking and possibly criminal offence by his ex-boyfriend, who was the one who made the choice to go public on this whole story.

If you want to allocate blame for any distress caused by the outing, I'd suggest the lawyers who are using Shahmir Sanni for political ends might be a better target.
    Their friendship is relevant context to his defence. Their having been lovers is not.

Even if you believe otherwise, Stephen Parkinson is not an elected politician and as such could have provided more detail in private to his employer. He did not need to go public at all. He made choices, choices that have had a direct impact on someone else's private life. This is a grave mistake.
    Did they have a pre-nup ?
    Was there a contract ?

Parkinson didn't ask for this - he simply stood up for himself with the truth.

• david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,401

RobD said:
    Doesn't sound like whistleblowing to me...
    Not only is it not illegal, it's what every election campaign in history does. *How* they did it might or might not be questionable (I've no idea - I've only seen the headline in the tweet), but it's simply ludicrous to imply that there's anything intrinsically wrong in trying to identify your supporters - or indeed, supporters of your opponents, floating voters or people who won't vote at all.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    edited March 2018

twitter.com/reutersuk/status/978568272298692609?s=21
    twitter.com/carolecadwalla/status/978582707310596096?s=21

Yet they still spent less than the losing side ;)
  • HHemmeligHHemmelig Posts: 617
    edited March 2018
    Barnesian said:

HHemmelig said:

DavidL said:

It certainly won't have escaped the notice of the public that neither Mr Wylie nor Mr Sanni are British yet they are poking their noses into "our" referendum. And sadly with a significant minority of the population their youth, sexuality, camp manner and pink hair won't help either. This is an own goal for Remain and an unhelpful distraction.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    F1: at Bahrain, the next race, Liberty will put forward its plans for the future. Could be rather significant.
    I know it is shallow of me - but pink hair and a suit does not make for a confidence inspiring look. Hard to establish credibility when you look like that.
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    I think it might be covered by parliamentary privilege.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,756
    edited March 2018
    Has JRM got some sort of classification system so we can work out if we're among the 'indigenous communities' of this country, and will it involve a colour chart?

https://twitter.com/MichaelPDeacon/status/978583106339958784
  • RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223

Don’t you have to be in the chamber and/or an MP?
    RoyalBlue said:

Also covers select committees:

http://www.parliament.uk/documents/commons-committees/witnessguide.pdf
    RoyalBlue said:

I think witnesses giving evidence to Select Committees are covered. I'm not sure of the exact rules, though.
    DC seems unphased

" The EC/ICO inquiries will look at the facts, the completely different stories that the whistleblowers tell each time they appear (their credibility is such that I bet their lawyers won’t let them appear as witnesses), the evidence, and the law. By the time the inquiries are over, the Observer will look really silly for making a hero out of a fantasist-charlatan, we’ll already have left the EU, and Zoolander will need a new look…"
  • logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,669
    Barnesian said:

HHemmelig said:

DavidL said:

Election and referendum rules should be observed, should they not?
    If not what is the point in having any?
    RobD said:

RoyalBlue said:

People here would be well advised to be VERY careful how they phrase any repeating of that allegation.
  • TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    TGOHF said:
    I think I've made the comparison three or four times...!

RobD said:

RoyalBlue said:

People here would be well advised to be VERY careful how they phrase any repeating of that allegation.
    Aw, did I miss some juicy evidence? :(
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,697
    edited March 2018
    I saw something on a news feed saying that he's been going on about the "mysterious" death of someone in a Kenyan hotel room?

Has all this stuff been whipped up by a crank?

I know it is shallow of me - but pink hair and a suit does not make for a confidence inspiring look. Hard to establish credibility when you look like that.
    Yep. Hard to be taken seriously when you look like a young Dame Edna. Mr Izzard should also heed your excellent advice.
    edited March 2018
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614

Sandpit said:

The only people who care about the story are the stop-Brexit crowd who think it’s a reason to abandon democracy.

"How on earth have we come to such an extraordinary and definitive reading of the mind of the British people? That not merely do we insist that they have insisted that we leave whatever the facts we now discover or the terms our Government can negotiate, but that – even more extraordinary – the same British people would resent deeply being given an opportunity to pass judgement on these terms once they know them? "
    I’ve got no problem with a referendum on the deal, if the government decides to ask he people if we should accept the deal on the table or leave to WTO terms instead. I can’t imagine they would want to though.
    edited March 2018
    GIN1138 said:
    Tosh. JRM doesn't read PB, he has it read to him.

:D

RoyalBlue said:

I think witnesses giving evidence to Select Committees are covered. I'm not sure of the exact rules, though.
    They can't repeat their accusation out the Select Committee, though.

Which, er, Twitter probably is??
    RoyalBlue said:

Oh God yes.

We’re here, we’re Brexiteer...

(Needs work)
    Out and proud!
    Form the Guardian live blog:

Simon Hart, a Conservative, goes next.

Q: Have you made any assessment as to whether this over-spending would have affected the result?

It was clearly ineffective. Remain lost. :smiley:
    F1: really interesting video from Karun Chandhok looking at Hamilton and Raikkonen's qualifying laps. In short, the Ferrari's faster on the straights, contrary to popular opinion. Mercedes has the edge in the corners.
    http://f1.channel4.com/video/mercedes-ferrari-high-power-party-mode/
    edited March 2018
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

The only people who care about the story are the stop-Brexit crowd who think it’s a reason to abandon democracy.

"How on earth have we come to such an extraordinary and definitive reading of the mind of the British people? That not merely do we insist that they have insisted that we leave whatever the facts we now discover or the terms our Government can negotiate, but that – even more extraordinary – the same British people would resent deeply being given an opportunity to pass judgement on these terms once they know them? "
    I’ve got no problem with a referendum on the deal, if the government decides to ask he people if we should accept the deal on the table or leave to WTO terms instead. I can’t imagine they would want to though.
    In such a referendum, what do you think would be the likelihood of WTO winning?

A combination of hard Brexiters and very angry Remainers keen to prove they were right that Brexit was going to be a total disaster might conceivably be able to cobble together 50.1% of the vote.

*shudder*

Remembering also that some people use referendums to kick the government.

Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg has said he will not appear before MPs investigating fake news, but will send one of his senior executives instead.

That’s clearly code for the Chief Legal Officer in the UK, who’s unlikely to open his mouth in order to insert his foot.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408
    edited March 2018

As I suspected, a mad conspiracy theory enabling you to avoid addressing any of the uncomfortable points made.

You can see Brexit shrivel the IQ of otherwise moderately intelligent posters. It’s utterly malign.

Wow. Possibly the least self aware post ever made on PB, and that is saying something. I try to ignore you on Brexit since you've already admitted that while you claim to want leavers to reach out, or acknowledge the things wrong with the leave campaign, it won't be enough for you when they do (thus turning an ostensibly reasonable point into a mere posturing position). I and many others have done so and still you, a very intelligent man, once again pretend no one has, pretend that you are not ignoring things, pretend you are not bitter (newsflash, you can be bitter and still right, it doesn't undermine your arguments to admit your bitterness), pretend that because some have said or done something all have.

As William shows it is possible to be even more fervently against Brexit without being unpleasant, bitter and thoroughly obnoxious. If that cannot be managed, surely hypocrisy can be avoided at least?

So much has happened since the vote I question my choice all the time, and wonder if I would do so again if the opportunity arises, but you act like such a child over this issue. Yes, a child. Wailing. Refusing to acknowledge any pettiness (it's s political forum, don't tell me you alone have never been petty). Refusing to listen, proudly.

You don't have to let it go, or get over it, or even stop railing against those who enabled such a dark force In our society. You do you. But a milligram of self awareness, of acknowledgement of others as they are (rather than your made up 'all leavers' this or that) would be polite at least.

But you clearly derive happiness, superiority, from pretending others are as you wish them to be, from refusing to self analyse even as you demand it of others (and even if they do as you ask), so I know this rant will fall on deaf ears, nay, reinforce your view you are right (again, a childish ' I've upset them, so I'm right' view). Your mind is closed, and you can pretend you are being the open and reasonable one, but I'd take a good bet even those who hate Brexit and those who enabled it would agree otherwise.

Have a great day. Feel as superior in the face of a made up opponent as you like, but they are made up.
    Sandpit said:

That’s clearly code for the Chief Legal Officer in the UK, who’s unlikely to open his mouth in order to insert his foot.
    Not sure the comparison is quite right - a CLO being a form of General Counsel, both in the US and UK.

Nevertheless given that facebook's "product" is data, you'd assume that they would have a similar background..

F1: at Bahrain, the next race, Liberty will put forward its plans for the future. Could be rather significant.

It’s the 2022 plan, which is going to focus on technical regulations and the Concorde agreementwhich covers spending and prize money. The expectation is that the cars will be simpler and more free in design, that there will be limits on spending and that prize money will be distributed more equally to how it is now, with the teams invited to be ‘franchises’ with a stake in the sport.
    stodge said:

TGOHF said:

I have no argument with him putting his points across - but his patronising tone is once again seriously misjudged.

Can nobody on Remain make an argument without belittling the other side ?

I don't know - can anyone make a serious point about a non-Conservative party without insulting its leader or its members ?
    Yes, and it needs to happen more often.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,780
    RobD said:

GIN1138 said:

Odd coincidence but according to Wiki William Hague's old nanny is now the oldest person alive in the UK: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Hague
    Mr. Sandpit, have to see how things emerge. Franchises could be a way of diminishing real teams at the expenses of giving more power to the big ones.
    edited March 2018
    HHemmelig said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

A combination of hard Brexiters and very angry Remainers keen to prove they were right that Brexit was going to be a total disaster might conceivably be able to cobble together 50.1% of the vote.

*shudder*

Absolutely. The only circumstance in which I can see it being used, is if the EU negotiates in bad faith and offers only a “deal” which leaves us as rule takers and financial contributors yet unable to negotiate our own trade deals abroad. In which case the government will invite the electorate to agree that no deal is better than a sh!t deal.

Hopefully it won’t come to that!
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,044
    For those pursuing the lone crank argument:

Wylie: "He stressed that Carole Cadwalladr, the Observer reporter who has published his revelations, has around 12 or 15 other sources too. He is not the only person speaking out, he says."

This sounds like the Hans Solo movie might be as shit as the last Star Wars episode,

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/2018/03/27/insider-reveals-new-details-messy-han-solo-shoot-new-blaster/

That one was great. This one has always seemed troubled.
    DavidL said:

RobD said:

GIN1138 said:

Odd coincidence but according to Wiki William Hague's old nanny is now the oldest person alive in the UK: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Hague
    LOL

Hague having had a nanny puts quite a big dent in his supposed Yorkshire working class 14 pints a night backstory. I can't imagine many people in Wath had a nanny.

Mr. Sandpit, have to see how things emerge. Franchises could be a way of diminishing real teams at the expenses of giving more power to the big ones.

The advantages of the franchise system is that it would give the teams a real stake in the sport, which has a value to investors. It’s likely to see the smaller teams receive much larger prize money than currently happens, at the expense of the larger teams. Chase Carey is probably about to call Ferrari’s bluff on their threats to quit if they lose their special treatment.
  • philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    edited March 2018

Wylie: "He stressed that Carole Cadwalladr, the Observer reporter who has published his revelations, has around 12 or 15 other sources too. He is not the only person speaking out, he says."

I think this may be a misunderstanding he had when he shared a sausage sandwich with her. I'm impressed that Carole has a choice of 12 to (is better than or, I suspect) 15 sauces.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    Sign of no anti-Brexit bias in the BBC ?

The anti Brexit march in Leeds on Saturday seems to have gone completely un-noticed by the beeb ?
    Pulpstar said:

The anti Brexit march in Leeds on Saturday seems to have gone completely un-noticed by the beeb ?

Leeds, what do you expect?
    Mr. Nabavi, to be fair, there are more BBC reports now from Leeds and Manchester than there used to be.
  • Pulpstar said:

Yup, the BBC is so Pro Brexit it is embarrassing.

They have Farage on every other week on Question Time.
    Sandpit said:

HHemmelig said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

*shudder*

Absolutely. The only circumstance in which I can see it being used, is if the EU negotiates in bad faith and offers only a “deal” which leaves us as rule takers and financial contributors yet unable to negotiate our own trade deals abroad. In which case the government will invite the electorate to agree that no deal is better than a sh!t deal.

It would be a complete mess.

Offer a remain/leave vote, and people who support The Deal but not No Deal have to guess at what they'll end up with.

Offer The Deal or No Deal and remainers have the option of spite. If The Deal is a decent deal, then that's fine - but if not, all sorts of trouble.

• ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    kle4 said:

You can see Brexit shrivel the IQ of otherwise moderately intelligent posters. It’s utterly malign.

Wow. Possibly the least self aware post ever made on PB, and that is saying something. I try to ignore you on Brexit since you've already admitted that while you claim to want leavers to reach out, or acknowledge the things wrong with the leave campaign, it won't be enough for you when they do (thus turning an ostensibly reasonable point into a mere posturing position). I and many others have done so and still you, a very intelligent man, once again pretend no one has, pretend that you are not ignoring things, pretend you are not bitter (newsflash, you can be bitter and still right, it doesn't undermine your arguments to admit your bitterness), pretend that because some have said or done something all have.

As William shows it is possible to be even more fervently against Brexit without being unpleasant, bitter and thoroughly obnoxious. If that cannot be managed, surely hypocrisy can be avoided at least?

So much has happened since the vote I question my choice all the time, and wonder if I would do so again if the opportunity arises, but you act like such a child over this issue. Yes, a child. Wailing. Refusing to acknowledge any pettiness (it's s political forum, don't tell me you alone have never been petty). Refusing to listen, proudly.

You don't have to let it go, or get over it, or even stop railing against those who enabled such a dark force In our society. You do you. But a milligram of self awareness, of acknowledgement of others as they are (rather than your made up 'all leavers' this or that) would be polite at least.

But you clearly derive happiness, superiority, from pretending others are as you wish them to be, from refusing to self analyse even as you demand it of others (and even if they do as you ask), so I know this rant will fall on deaf ears, nay, reinforce your view you are right (again, a childish ' I've upset them, so I'm right' view). Your mind is closed, and you can pretend you are being the open and reasonable one, but I'd take a good bet even those who hate Brexit and those who enabled it would agree otherwise.

Have a great day. Feel as superior in the face of a made up opponent as you like, but they are made up.
    I suspect that what you say will find support with most of us, but certainly not AM. I'm sure AM will continue posting in the same vein and power to his elbow. For me, it brings back fond memories of Saturday morning pictures (for those old enough to remember them), watching the serial villain make his appearance, with appropriate musical accompaniment, and joining in the communal hissing and booing of the watching audience. Reading AM's posts is a joy, so long as you remember to hiss and boo.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,718
    Workers from the original EU member states are paid 12% more than comparable British workers but workers from the new accession countries are paid 27% less a new report finds, emphasising the impact of failing to impose transition controls on free movement from the new accession countries in 2004

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43553885
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    RoyalBlue said:

Russia’s claim to Crimea on grounds of history, language, nationality and self-determination was very strong. There was no good reason to resort to military action, but Putin needed something to pep up his ratings.

They owned it for about 170 years (1780 ish to 1959 ish). Ukraine owned it for 60 years.

Does that make Russia’s claim 3 tines as strong as Ukraine’s?

The Giray’s owned Crimea for 550 years. Does that make tge R claim 3 times as strong as Russia’s?

philiph said:

I think this may be a misunderstanding he had when he shared a sausage sandwich with her. I'm impressed that Carole has a choice of 12 to (is better than or, I suspect) 15 sauces.
    I think it more likely she has 12 or 15 saucers, to go with her 12 or 15 cups....
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Off topic, it is astounding that Stephen Parkinson has not been sacked. Publicly outing someone in response to whistleblowing is particularly aggressive victimisation.

I suppose it’s of a piece with the operation that Theresa May supervised before the election with Nick Timothy and Fiona Hill. It speaks very badly of Theresa May herself though.

It’s central to his defence that he gave advice to the whistleblower (I forget his name) in a personal capacity rather than on behalf of VoteLeave.

How would you suggest he make that defence without setting out the nature of their relationship?
    Charles said:

Off topic, it is astounding that Stephen Parkinson has not been sacked. Publicly outing someone in response to whistleblowing is particularly aggressive victimisation.

I suppose it’s of a piece with the operation that Theresa May supervised before the election with Nick Timothy and Fiona Hill. It speaks very badly of Theresa May herself though.

It’s central to his defence that he gave advice to the whistleblower (I forget his name) in a personal capacity rather than on behalf of VoteLeave.

How would you suggest he make that defence without setting out the nature of their relationship?
    Reading what Parkinson actually said, it is not clear to me that he intended to out Sanni at all, much less used it to victimise him.

Sandpit said:

HHemmelig said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

*shudder*

It would be a complete mess.

Offer a remain/leave vote, and people who support The Deal but not No Deal have to guess at what they'll end up with.

Offer The Deal or No Deal and remainers have the option of spite. If The Deal is a decent deal, then that's fine - but if not, all sorts of trouble.
    Thankfully, what’s come out of the actual negotiations (as opposed to all the media posturing nonsense) has been very good so far, and hopefully this will continue to be the case.

We should be willing to consider a no-deal scenario as a negotiating tactic though, and prepare for this outcome even if we hope not to need it.

philiph said:

I think it more likely she has 12 or 15 saucers, to go with her 12 or 15 cups....
    As a well brought up lass, I'm sure Carole has the saucers to go with the cups. However, having seen her on Sunday still with her motorbike leathers on, I do now, on reflection, wonder. At least they made her take her helmet off.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789
    Charles said:

RoyalBlue said:

Russia’s claim to Crimea on grounds of history, language, nationality and self-determination was very strong. There was no good reason to resort to military action, but Putin needed something to pep up his ratings.

They owned it for about 170 years (1780 ish to 1959 ish). Ukraine owned it for 60 years.

The Giray’s owned Crimea for 550 years. Does that make tge R claim 3 times as strong as Russia’s?

Putin sees Russia and Ukraine as the same thing and that annexing Crimea just ensures it is “in strong hands”. He does not recognise Ukrainian sovereignty as a meaningful concept.
    Charles said:

RoyalBlue said:

The Neanderthals have a much stronger claim to all the territory of the EU....

Although they are still back of the queue to an amoeba called Gerald.
  • Pulpstar said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-43527517
    edited March 2018

Charles said:

RoyalBlue said:

You learn something new every day here. I hadn't realised that amoebas were so posh.
  • ElliotElliot Posts: 1,516

Charles said:

RoyalBlue said:

You learn something new every day here. I hadn't realised that amoebas were so posh.
    Did you know electrons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic.
  • AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487

kle4 said:

snip
    I suspect that what you say will find support with most of us, but certainly not AM. I'm sure AM will continue posting in the same vein and power to his elbow. For me, it brings back fond memories of Saturday morning pictures (for those old enough to remember them), watching the serial villain make his appearance, with appropriate musical accompaniment, and joining in the communal hissing and booing of the watching audience. Reading AM's posts is a joy, so long as you remember to hiss and boo.
    Alastair has my support. I dare say that his failure to attract the support of PB's pitchfork army of bumpkins, curtain twitchers, xenophobes and fruit cakes won't cause him too many sleepless nights.
    Not much coverage on here of GO's Evening Standard editorial - strange.

• AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487

Has JRM got some sort of classification system so we can work out if we're among the 'indigenous communities' of this country, and will it involve a colour chart?

Interested to find out if I qualify as one of the natives.
    edited March 2018
    Anazina said:

Provided you can prove your ancestors fought with Boudica against the incoming Romans you should be OK!
    TGOHF said:

This one?
    https://www.standard.co.uk/comment/comment/evening-standard-comment-revealed-the-stealth-takeover-of-labour-a3800156.html
    It is a party within a party more dangerous to Labour’s future than the Militant Tendency, which Neil Kinnock beat in the 1980s, because, unlike Militant, it has captured the party’s leadership and machinery.

How much longer will moderate social democrats and socialists who have been loyal to Labour, tolerate this?

They are surely nearing a decision point.

Either they allow the total takeover of their party by people who do not share their values. Or they must try to retake it. Or they find the courage to start a new force.</>
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,883

Charles said:

RoyalBlue said:

Putin sees Russia and Ukraine as the same thing and that annexing Crimea just ensures it is “in strong hands”. He does not recognise Ukrainian sovereignty as a meaningful concept.
    Putin doesn't see Russia and Ukraine as indivisible parts of a larger whole. He takes the archetypal Russian nationalist view that it is part of Yekaterina Velikaya's Novorossiya. A completely subordinate vassal state that serves as a buffer against the enemy. The Ottomans then and the West now.
  • chrisoxonchrisoxon Posts: 204
    If Carole Cadwalladr does have multiple sources why did she choose to use the least credible one as the face of them? Why was the second source someone who could easily be dismissed as someone lashing out at a former lover?

If she really has uncovered a massive conspiracy (that was concocted and executed in the most inept way possible if it did occur) why is she risking the credibility of her claims by highlighting questionable sources and including claims that manifestly are not true eg. The idea that Leave.eu and Vote Leave were ever collaborating.

Some of this stuff is undoubtedly true, campaigners (or anyone working within a regulatory environment) will always seek to stretch the rules and may sometimes stray over the line. But the way this story has evolved makes it look more like someone throwing s*** at a wall and hoping something sticks.

• ElliotElliot Posts: 1,516
    edited March 2018
    Anazina said:

Given my recent Middle Eastern ancestry, I am pretty sure I don't. If I moved to America or Canada I don't think I would be classed as indigenous there either, as most Americans/Canadians are not.
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "Mark Zuckerberg snubs MPs over Cambridge Analytica row

Mark Zuckerberg has declined to meet MPs on the digital, culture, media and sport committee and has offered to send a deputy in his place as the row over Facebook’s role in political campaigns intensifies."

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/mark-zuckerberg-snubs-mps-over-cambridge-analytica-row-pjsjfrfqv
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789
    Cobyn on the two mistakes made by the USSR...

If there are two areas where I think grave mistakes were made by the Soviet Union, it was the inability of the system to recognise the importance of the national question and the way in which the Communist Party of the Soviet Union became an extremely elitist body.
    We have to organise together in this country but also internationally.

https://libcom.org/history/i-am-concerned-break-soviet-union-leadership-it-gave-jeremy-corbyns-words-wisdom-stalini
    AndyJS said:

Mark Zuckerberg has declined to meet MPs on the digital, culture, media and sport committee and has offered to send a deputy in his place as the row over Facebook’s role in political campaigns intensifies."

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/mark-zuckerberg-snubs-mps-over-cambridge-analytica-row-pjsjfrfqv

You can't blame him. He is a more important person than any MP.
    TGOHF said:

What's Boy George got to say? :D
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Dura_Ace said:

AndyJS said:

It's the wrong decision by Zuckerberg. Terrible public relations decision.

If there are two areas where I think grave mistakes were made by the Soviet Union, it was the inability of the system to recognise the importance of the national question and the way in which the Communist Party of the Soviet Union became an extremely elitist body.

https://libcom.org/history/i-am-concerned-break-soviet-union-leadership-it-gave-jeremy-corbyns-words-wisdom-stalini

LOL! But not all of the millions of people that were murdered? ;)
    AndyJS said:

Dura_Ace said:

AndyJS said:

Facebook has 2 billion active users. He doesn't give the slightest fuck what a load of befuddled and/or pissed politicians from a marginally relevant country on the other side of the Atlantic think.
    Elliot said:

Anazina said:

Given my recent Middle Eastern ancestry, I am pretty sure I don't. If I moved to America or Canada I don't think I would be classed as indigenous there either, as most Americans/Canadians are not.
    The world is a much more mobile place now, but in recentish history it wasn't - and if we're taking most Americans not to be indigenous then that puts the bar at something like 150 years, so perhaps the nationality of 4th great grandparents is one's *indigenaity* - which is completely different to nationality. That puts me at 94% British and ~ 6% Flemish.
    The first argument that just might have swung my vote.
    AndyJS said:

Dura_Ace said:

AndyJS said:

He was also quite likely to put his foot in his mouth by failing to understand the nuances of UK and EU law, as distinct from US law. Terrible PR, but if I were advising him I’d have made the same decision.
    Pulpstar said:

Elliot said:

Anazina said:

The world is a much more mobile place now, but in recentish history it wasn't - and if we're taking most Americans not to be indigenous then that puts the bar at something like 150 years, so perhaps the nationality of 4th great grandparents is one's *indigenaity* - which is completely different to nationality. That puts me at 94% British and ~ 6% Flemish.
    The only indigenous people in North America are Native American Indians
    Dura_Ace said:

AndyJS said:

Dura_Ace said:

AndyJS said:

Facebook has 2 billion active users. He doesn't give the slightest fuck what a load of befuddled and/or pissed politicians from a marginally relevant country on the other side of the Atlantic think.
    If he does the same to Congress as well though he will be in trouble

Pulpstar said:

Well, exactly.
  • BromBrom Posts: 3,760

Pulpstar said:

The same Farage that has been on twice in the 21 months since the referendum.
  • JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    kle4 said:

As I suspected, a mad conspiracy theory enabling you to avoid addressing any of the uncomfortable points made.

New profile pic for him

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Elliot said:

Anazina said:

Tricky to track every ancestor back over 500 years though, if a generation is 25.5 years then that yields just over a million great (*18) grandparents.
  • david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,401
    AndyJS said:

Dura_Ace said:

AndyJS said:

I agree. One that will be made worse if his deputy can't give any answer because he'd have to refer it upwards.

For all that, Facebook will suffer more if it doesn't address its growing reputation among youth for being 'for old people'.

So 30-50m murdered in gulags wasn't really one of the main problems then? It's a view, I suppose.
    Brom said:

Pulpstar said:

The same Farage that has been on twice in the 21 months since the referendum.
    Despite clear Remain leanings in the referendum campaign the BBC has now accepted the voters voted to Leave unlike some we could mention!
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Elliot said:

Anazina said:

Tricky to track every ancestor back over 500 years though, if a generation is 25.5 years then that yields just over a million great (*18) grandparents.
    It probably doesn't actually. You'd almost certainly find the same people repeatedly in your tree if you go that far back.
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Elliot said:

Anazina said:

Certainly you would need to trace back your ancestry at least 500 years in a country to be even considered indigenous to it as opposed to a citizen of it but in the UK you really need to be able to prove majority Celtic ancestry to be considered an indiginenous Briton

AndyJS said:

Dura_Ace said:

AndyJS said:

I agree. One that will be made worse if his deputy can't give any answer because he'd have to refer it upwards.

For all that, Facebook will suffer more if it doesn't address its growing reputation among youth for being 'for old people'.
    The current fashion seems to be for photos with ridiculous looking dog ears, angel halos, stars and big eyes.
    Snapchat seems to be the flavour of the month with anyone under about 25 tbh.
This discussion has been closed.