Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A year to go till Brexit and the latest YouGov tracker has Bri

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited March 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A year to go till Brexit and the latest YouGov tracker has Britain as divided as ever

A year to go and the latest chart based on the YouGov Brexit tracker pic.twitter.com/cqW6hhQL4z

Read the full story here

Comments

• TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,957
    edited March 2018
    E pluribus unum
  • Brexit is going to happen on Sir John Major’s birthday.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    edited March 2018
    Tories still strongly back Leave and Labour and especially LD voters still think we should have stayed in the EU.

Therefore it looks like the best way for Remainers to try and keep us in the single market and customs union or get a second referendum is for a Labour minority government after the next general election with SNP and LD confidence and supply
  • That Labour voter split though, no wonder Sir Keir made his intervention last night after Lady Nugee’s prediction.
  • AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    Yet another survey that has Remain ahead.

People have realised that Brexit just isn't worth it.
  • MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    HYUFD said:

Tories still strongly back Leave and Labour and especially LD voters still think we should have stayed in the EU.

Therefore it looks like the best way for Remainers to try and keep us in the single market and customs union or get a second referendum is for a Labour minority government after the next general election with SNP and LD confidence and supply

There are more CON Remainers in the poll than LAB leavers so please stop misinterpreting things to suit your position.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614

Brexit is going to happen on Sir John Major’s birthday.

Happy birthday Sir John!

HYUFD said:

There are more CON Remainers in the poll than LAB leavers so please stop misinterpreting things to suit your position.
    I fear you might be fighting a losing battle there @MikeSmithson

That Labour voter split though, no wonder Sir Keir made his intervention last night after Lady Nugee’s prediction.

No need to call her by her husband's name – somewhat old fashioned and patronising and certainly not like you!
  • That Labour voter split though, no wonder Sir Keir made his intervention last night after Lady Nugee’s prediction.

sexist.
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

It'll be my parents' 55th wedding anniversary.
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Anazina said:

That Labour voter split though, no wonder Sir Keir made his intervention last night after Lady Nugee’s prediction.

No need to call her by her husband's name – somewhat old fashioned and patronising and certainly not like you!
    It helps explain why she sneers at white van man though doesn't it
    Scott_P said:
    She should just $$$$ off

oh sorry, thought I was a Labour supporter for a second there.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    Scott_P said:
    They seem determined to want to keep the story running. Okay.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,786
    How many Tory Leavers just hold that position out of loyalty? In the event of a second referendum it’s possible their support will quickly collapse as the likes of Davis and Fox struggle to defend Brexit.
  • RobinWiggsRobinWiggs Posts: 621

HYUFD said:

Actually that's not quite correct on the image in the header. Using weighted Con/Lab samples there are 125 Con remainers vs 130 Lab leavers.

I think....

How many Tory Leavers just hold that position out of loyalty? In the event of a second referendum it’s possible their support will quickly collapse as the likes of Davis and Fox struggle to defend Brexit.

Very true. How many of the several neobrexiteer Tories on here would flip back when push came to shove and the tide was against them?
  • chrisoxonchrisoxon Posts: 204

HYUFD said:

CON Remainers are backing the party on the assumption that it backs leaving the EU, it's already priced in to their decision. Labour Leavers are backing the party on the same assumption - if Labour changes it's stance then they may wish to consider.

HYUFD is still wrong, it just happens that Mike is also wrong!
  • PaulyPauly Posts: 897
    edited March 2018
    I've been gone a while, but alas I return and the site looks as good as ever.

On the split - I think Brexit is guaranteed to happen for one reason and one reason alone. Kicking the EPLP leader off of the Labour NEC strengthens the Corbynite left ever further on the NEC and the what remains of the parliamentary party.

The leadership office have yet to miss a single opportunity to cement control and I see this one as no different.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,563
    I thought it went further than zero tolerance - isn't he a self declared "militant against anti-Semitism" ?
    Though I guess militant can have different meanings...
  • Anazina said:

I’m using the correct designation for her.

There’s nothing worse when the upper/middle classes pretend to be working class.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517
    Conservatives against coal mining:

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2018/03/in-a-first-a-new-uk-coal-mine-is-rejected-on-climate-change-grounds/

I wonder if Corbyn would be in favour of this new mine, or against it? ;)
  • Brexit is going to happen on Sir John Major’s birthday.

Happy 54th wedding anniversary to your parents today.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    edited March 2018

HYUFD said:

58% of Tory voters voted Leave in 2016 in the EU referendum now 69% would vote Leave, a rise of 11%.

63% of Labour voters voted Remain in 2016 now 73% would, a rise of 10%.

70% of LD voters voted Remain, now 82% would, a rise of 12%, so my statement was entirely correct. In fact there were more Con Remainers as a percentage at the EU referendum than there are currently

https://lordashcroftpolls.com/2016/06/how-the-united-kingdom-voted-and-why/
    Floater said:

Anazina said:

Are you referring to Medway Flag Man? That was the most ludicrous ministerial sacking ever.

She was teasing (apparently, although she made no comment) a guy – clearly a complete prat – who covered his house in England flags, which looks awful.

Who on here would wish to live next to that? Those people who traduced her for it are hypocrites – pure and simple – hypocrites!

Anazina said:

There’s nothing worse when the upper/middle classes pretend to be working class.
    No, you aren't. She chooses to use her maiden name professionally and basic etiquette deems that her choice should be respected. In my industry many women use their maiden names when the name on their passport is different. We don't refer to them by their married name if they choose otherwise.
    Scott_P said:

Incredibly lifelike portrait of HYUFD and Carlotta.
    Anazina said:

Anazina said:

No, you aren't. She chooses to use her maiden name professionally and basic etiquette deems that her choice should be respected. In my industry many women use their maiden names when the name on their passport is different. We don't refer to them by their married name if they choose otherwise.
    I think TSE was teasing...
    Anazina said:

Scott_P said:

See, teasing again...
  • Nigelb said:

Anazina said:

Anazina said:

I’m a huge fan of the Thornberry family.

Her father gave a wonderful speech when I was at university.

Nigelb said:

Anazina said:

Anazina said:

I’m a huge fan of the Thornberry family.

Her father gave a wonderful speech when I was at university.
    Ha! Fair enough – sorry if you were pulling my leg :)
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,764
    Anazina said:

Aristocrats should be proud to use their titles.
    Anazina said:

Floater said:

Anazina said:

Are you referring to Medway Flag Man? That was the most ludicrous ministerial sacking ever.

She was teasing (apparently, although she made no comment) a guy – clearly a complete prat – who covered his house in England flags, which looks awful.

Who on here would wish to live next to that? Those people who traduced her for it are hypocrites – pure and simple – hypocrites!
    I lived round the corner from an asian family who covered there house in England flags at the time of a major sporting event.

I distinctly remeber BJO calling me a liar over it.

Perhaps I should just have called them prats and hated living near them?

The more I see of you progressives the less I see to like.
    Sean_F said:

Anazina said:

Unless trying to pretend to be a person of the people
  • Sean_F said:

Anazina said:

If Dave had granted my wish and made me Duke of Sheffield/Yorkshire I’d have insisted everyone address me as your Grace.
    I was just wondering what the Lib Dems have had to say about Labour's issues, ad so I went to Google, entered "vince cable", and clicked on News.

And... nothing relevant.

The top story was this one, however:
    "Vince Cable impersonator convicted for supplying false information"

https://inews.co.uk/news/uk/vince-cable-impersonator-fined-in-first-conviction/

I'll leave the jokes to others ...
    Floater said:

Anazina said:

Floater said:

Anazina said:

I lived round the corner from an asian family who covered there house in England flags at the time of a major sporting event.

It wasn't during a football tournament. It was tweeted in November.
    Scott_P said:
    Monty seems to be turning towards an EEA/EFTA style solution. Very wise.
  • logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,669
    11 Brexit promises the government quietly dropped
    Leaving aside the £350m for the NHS, Brexit has promised quick and easy trade deals with the EU and the rest of the world, an end to ECJ jurisdiction and free movement, and British control of North Sea fishing. None of this has come to pass. Here are 11 key abandoned claims
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/ng-interactive/2018/mar/28/11-brexit-promises-leavers-quietly-dropped
    Anazina said:

Floater said:

Anazina said:

Floater said:

Anazina said:

so?

Unlike you she says its ok to fly the flag if you want

"I apologise for any offence caused by the 3 flag picture. People should fly the England flag with pride!"
    Saudi Arabia's just announced solar deal is fairly remarkable, given that the intended installed capacity will be around three times their current electricity usage.
    There are some serious questions about the numbers, but the scale of the ambition is interesting:
    https://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/saudi-arabia-200-gigawatt-solar-plan#gs.sR3V=a8
    Floater said:

Anazina said:

Floater said:

Anazina said:

Floater said:

Anazina said:

so?

Unlike you she says its ok to fly the flag if you want

"I apologise for any offence caused by the 3 flag picture. People should fly the England flag with pride!"
    Would you like to live next to someone that had his house (semi)permanently draped in England flags? Would your wife? Would you ask him nicely to take them down four months after the tournament had concluded?
  • oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Scott_P said:
    With power comes responsibility and we have seen that Jezza doesn't take responsibility for anything...
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,715

I hope they have as good a day as my wife ad I did on our 54th. Just looked at my diary. Excellent lunch a deux at prestigious (and food-wise deservedly so) local restuarant, then socialising with friends at local fete.
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,979
    edited March 2018
    To her credit, the PM doesn't want to lie. It won't be worth it but yes it will be different. And there will be real opportunities but more than offset by the damaging consequences. Bless her. She really is still a Remainer - possibly even more so now that she can see the problems ahead. Is there a major plot twist coming?

• Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Scott_P said:
    What a preposterously silly claim for Peston to make. If you don't have a specific constitutional power to do something, you don't have it, irrespective of how powerful in an abstract and general sense you are.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,747
    Anazina said:

Floater said:

Anazina said:

Floater said:

Anazina said:

It was probably the darts. Or cheese rolling. Definitely something major though.

I hope they have as good a day as my wife ad I did on our 54th. Just looked at my diary. Excellent lunch a deux at prestigious (and food-wise deservedly so) local restuarant, then socialising with friends at local fete.
    As I think we live in reasonably close proximity would you mind telling me which restaurant - looking for somewhere we haven't been to take wife.
    edited March 2018

Sean_F said:

Anazina said:

If Dave had granted my wish and made me Duke of Sheffield/Yorkshire I’d have insisted everyone address me as your Grace.
    Is Nugee’s knightship or whatever it’s called the result of his being some sort of judge?

Anazina said:

Floater said:

Anazina said:

Floater said:

Anazina said:

It was probably the darts. Or cheese rolling. Definitely something major though.
    We can however be fairly certain that Scotland failed to qualify .........
  • TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    edited March 2018

Scott_P said:
    With power comes responsibility and we have seen that Jezza doesn't take responsibility for anything...
    It is an elected position, he can't remove her.

Not that they should anyway.
    Scott_P said:
    Surely some mistake

Now, about that independent inquiry Shami.......
    edited March 2018

Sean_F said:

Anazina said:

As it sadly never happened, are you now Grace-less? ;)

Anazina said:

Floater said:

Anazina said:

Floater said:

Anazina said:

The International Kentish Power Walking Championship, I understand.

Sadly England were knocked out in the group stages.
  • RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    Anazina said:

Scott_P said:
    The customs union is not EFTA/EEA. Try again.
    Floater said:

As I think we live in reasonably close proximity would you mind telling me which restaurant - looking for somewhere we haven't been to take wife.
    Have pm’d you.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,747
    Floater said:

Anazina said:

Floater said:

Anazina said:

Floater said:

Anazina said:

Damn, one less excuse for making spurious excuses for flag bedecked weirdos.

Scott_P said:

He can't remove her - but he could have called in public for her to consider her position. He chose not to do so.

If she did something wrong enough to resign from that specific position, the same failings make her NEC position equally untenable.

Floater said:

Have pm’d you.
    Thanks, got it - Never been there so very much appreciated.
    Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Floater said:

Anazina said:

Floater said:

Anazina said:

There was probably a cricket one going on somewhere. The comment about Scotland, of course, applies.
  • John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    My favourite quote on the British aristocracy is from Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson:

'He was born Graf Heinrich Karl Wilhelm Otto Friedrich von Übersetzenseehafenstadt, but changed his name to Nigel St. John Gloamthorpby, a.k.a. Lord Woadmire, in 1914.'

Floater said:

Anazina said:

Floater said:

Anazina said:

Floater said:

Anazina said:

Damn, one less excuse for making spurious excuses for flag bedecked weirdos.
    Ha ha :)
    RoyalBlue said:

Anazina said:

Scott_P said:
    He seems to turning in that direction.

Scott_P said:

He can't remove her - but he could have called in public for her to consider her position. He chose not to do so.

If she did something wrong enough to resign from that specific position, the same failings make her NEC position equally untenable.
    She fell foul of the media, it doesn't make her NEC position untenable.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Not too surprising, given the noisy fellows (and ladies) are making much of the running.
    edited March 2018

Scott_P said:

So if she hadn't have been outed as having tried to delay a proper investigation into anti-semitism, she would have been fine?

Sorry - but she was caught out for what she is. She should have resigned both positions immediately. Nothing to do with the media - all to do with what she tried to cover up/delay.
  • logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,669

Scott_P said:

You mean that they reported what she said and did?

Scott_P said:

So if she hadn't have been outed as having tried to delay a proper investigation into anti-semitism, she would have been fine?

Sorry - but she was caught out for what she is. She should have resigned both positions immediately. Nothing to do with the media - all to do with what she tried to cover up/delay.
    Caught out for what 'she is'?

What exactly?
  • RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    Anazina said:

RoyalBlue said:

Anazina said:

Scott_P said:
    The Single Market is out of the question because of the implications for immigration. This has been debated extensively on here, and there is definitely no Commons majority for it.
    Floater said:

Floater said:

Have pm’d you.
    Thanks, got it - Never been there so very much appreciated.
    No problem. Enjoy. Apart from a Thursday midday you can park reasonably near, too.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,786
    RoyalBlue said:

Anazina said:

Scott_P said:
    What would be the point of regulatory divergence without the ability to sign trade deals?
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

RoyalBlue said:

Anazina said:

Scott_P said:
    What would be the point of regulatory divergence without the ability to sign trade deals?
    The domestic market.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    Anazina said:

Scott_P said:

Rumbled.....
  • sladeslade Posts: 1,921
    It appears there are no principal local authority by-elections today. The only contests I can see are for two seats on Conway community council.
    AndyJS said:
    Well this is a great start... only a few paragraphs in and....

This was barely a month after Corbyn issued a Facebook post for Holocaust Memorial Day that included no mention of Jews or anti-Semitism. Following an outcry, Corbyn made public another message, this one mentioning “our Jewish brothers and sisters.”

Except in the words of Stephen Pollard (who hates Jeremy Corbyn)

https://twitter.com/stephenpollard/status/956915608876175361?ref_src=twsrc^tfw&ref_url=http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/national/article/Apology-offered-to-Corbyn-amid-controversy-over-Holocaust-comments-06efdcf9-c71c-4e24-9b2d-8ecba01c5873-ds

I wonder why Jewish people think Labour are racist against them... I wonder if I added a couple of real incidents and made up a bunch of stuff or spun several things carefully and had the media repeat them endlessly if I could convince other groups that parties were racist against them?

But don't claim the issue has been weaponised because apparently, that is also anti-semitic....

Anazina said:

Scott_P said:

Rumbled.....
    :) Fair play.
    RoyalBlue said:

Anazina said:

RoyalBlue said:

Anazina said:

Scott_P said:
    The Single Market is out of the question because of the implications for immigration. This has been debated extensively on here, and there is definitely no Commons majority for it.
    Things seems to be moving that way.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    Long read - Matthew Goodwin explains the state of play on Brexit for our Canadian friends:

https://www.opencanada.org/features/one-year-go-britain-changing-its-mind/

Long read - Matthew Goodwin explains the state of play on Brexit for our Canadian friends:

https://www.opencanada.org/features/one-year-go-britain-changing-its-mind/

If Goodwin drew analogues with Hitler on an internet forum would it be a Goodwin Godwin?
    Of course Christine Shawcroft should resign. What is more, Labour people should be encouraging her to go.

Why?

She's incompetent, and should be nowhere near any position of authority.

Let's take a look at her own words: "I sent this email before being aware of the full information about this case and I had not been shown the image of his abhorrent Facebook post. Had I seen this image, I would not have requested that the decision to suspend him be re-considered. I am deeply sorry for having done so."

So she was in a position to investigate an alleged offence, yet she sided strongly one way and tried to influence matters without even reading the evidence.
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "Thousands of Jeremy Corbyn supporters endorse letter saying Jewish-organised antisemitism protest was the work of 'very powerful special interest group'"

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/jeremy-corbyn-labour-antisemitism-protest-powerful-special-interest-group-jewish-a8278761.html
  • slade said:

It appears there are no principal local authority by-elections today. The only contests I can see are for two seats on Conway community council.

There’s one in Huyton.

https://www.knowsley.gov.uk/knowsleycouncil/media/Documents/notice-of-election-page-moss-mar-2018.pdf
  • sarissasarissa Posts: 1,749
    Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Floater said:

Anazina said:

Floater said:

Anazina said:

By the Germans on penalties?
    AndyJS said:

"Thousands of Jeremy Corbyn supporters endorse letter saying Jewish-organised antisemitism protest was the work of 'very powerful special interest group'"

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/jeremy-corbyn-labour-antisemitism-protest-powerful-special-interest-group-jewish-a8278761.html

What group could they possibly mean?
  • JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Sean_F said:

Anazina said:

What, all of them at once !!!

Michael Ancram would have no time for anything else :

Marquess of Lothian is a title in the Peerage of Scotland. It was created in 1701 for Robert Kerr, 4th Earl of Lothian. The Marquess of Lothian holds the subsidiary titles of Earl of Lothian (created 1606), Earl of Lothian (created again 1631), Earl of Ancram (1633), Earl of Ancram (created again 1701), Viscount of Briene (1701), Lord Newbattle (1591), Lord Jedburgh (1622), Lord Kerr of Newbattle (1631), Lord Kerr of Nisbet, Langnewtoun, and Dolphinstoun (1633), Lord Kerr of Newbattle, Oxnam, Jedburgh, Dolphinstoun and Nisbet (1701), and Baron Ker, of Kersheugh in the County of Roxburgh (1821) and Baron Kerr of Monteviot (2010) all but the last two in the Peerage of Scotland. The holder of the title is also the Chief of Clan Kerr.

:smiley:

Of course Christine Shawcroft should resign. What is more, Labour people should be encouraging her to go.

Why?

She's incompetent, and should be nowhere near any position of authority.

Let's take a look at her own words: "I sent this email before being aware of the full information about this case and I had not been shown the image of his abhorrent Facebook post. Had I seen this image, I would not have requested that the decision to suspend him be re-considered. I am deeply sorry for having done so."

So she was in a position to investigate an alleged offence, yet she sided strongly one way and tried to influence matters without even reading the evidence.

Another interpretation is that she wasn't bothered by such claims so no point actually investigating.

AndyJS said:
    Well this is a great start... only a few paragraphs in and....

This was barely a month after Corbyn issued a Facebook post for Holocaust Memorial Day that included no mention of Jews or anti-Semitism. Following an outcry, Corbyn made public another message, this one mentioning “our Jewish brothers and sisters.”

Except in the words of Stephen Pollard (who hates Jeremy Corbyn)

https://twitter.com/stephenpollard/status/956915608876175361?ref_src=twsrc^tfw&ref_url=http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/national/article/Apology-offered-to-Corbyn-amid-controversy-over-Holocaust-comments-06efdcf9-c71c-4e24-9b2d-8ecba01c5873-ds

I wonder why Jewish people think Labour are racist against them... I wonder if I added a couple of real incidents and made up a bunch of stuff or spun several things carefully and had the media repeat them endlessly if I could convince other groups that parties were racist against them?

But don't claim the issue has been weaponised because apparently, that is also anti-semitic....
    They might think Labour has a problem with antisemitism because a load of Labour people admit it has? Including - eventually - your leader:

“I recognise that antisemitism has surfaced within the Labour party, and has too often been dismissed as simply a matter of a few bad apples.”

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/978313237132468224

• JackW said:

Sean_F said:

Anazina said:

What, all of them at once !!!

Michael Ancram would have no time for anything else :

Marquess of Lothian is a title in the Peerage of Scotland. It was created in 1701 for Robert Kerr, 4th Earl of Lothian. The Marquess of Lothian holds the subsidiary titles of Earl of Lothian (created 1606), Earl of Lothian (created again 1631), Earl of Ancram (1633), Earl of Ancram (created again 1701), Viscount of Briene (1701), Lord Newbattle (1591), Lord Jedburgh (1622), Lord Kerr of Newbattle (1631), Lord Kerr of Nisbet, Langnewtoun, and Dolphinstoun (1633), Lord Kerr of Newbattle, Oxnam, Jedburgh, Dolphinstoun and Nisbet (1701), and Baron Ker, of Kersheugh in the County of Roxburgh (1821) and Baron Kerr of Monteviot (2010) all but the last two in the Peerage of Scotland. The holder of the title is also the Chief of Clan Kerr.

:smiley:
    We all know Scottish nobility are overcompensating
  • JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

Sean_F said:

Anazina said:

More like Mr Grace .... "You've all done very well !!"
This discussion has been closed.