Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Introducing my 270/1 shot to win WH2020 – Colorado Governor Jo

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited April 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Introducing my 270/1 shot to win WH2020 – Colorado Governor John Hickenlooper

It’s just over a year’s time we should be seeing the formal declarations of those entering the run for president in the 2020 White House race and over the ensuing 12 months we are going to hear a lot of speculation about who might put their hats into the ring.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Called it.
  • E pluribus unum.
  • Mike have you ever had a long odds winner in the Presidential markets ?
  • Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    FPT
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

95% and many on here say a lot of things about Corbyn. (1)

Only to your mind. (2)

So what indeed, quite frankly who cares what regularly xenophobic right wing newspapers judge to be the good or bad Jewish groups, as far as I am concerned, they are the bad papers. Yes it must be annoying for the right wing newspapers that despite a campaign lasting years now all they have done reinforced his position. Thank god, I've been waiting all my life for a potential PM that wasn't enslaved to our crazy right wing newspapers, it seems to drive them ballistic, good, they have been holding our democracy back for years. The best they can hope for is holding Labour back until Corbyn's successor, who will be left wing.

Yet again you are wilfully not understanding the context. Labour MPs say there is a problem with anti-semitism within the Labour Party, Momentum tells us there is an anti-semitism problem within the Labour Party. And The Jezziah (THE Jezziah, that is) tells us there is an anti-semitism problem within the Labour Party.

So - three impeccable may I be so bold as to say non-right wing sources tell us there is an anti-semitism problem within the Labour Party. And in this context, Jeremy Corbyn wilfully/idiotically/cluelessly exacerbates the situation.

And you? The Jezziah of PB? It is all the fault of the right wing press.

One of us is not getting it.
    So now you just have to find the quote of me saying this is no anti semitism in the Labour party... I have pointed out many times this isn't true.

One of us is making stuff up.

As we have already discussed with the emboldening slider that everything please the anti-semites on one side or the other, the excuse you can back just your side using it only really applies if you claim one group is more important than the other rather than decisions being based on doing the right thing.
    You said that right wing newspapers have conflated this issue (you mention "right wing newspapers" three times in your first paragraph) with their choice of good or bad Jewish groups as though it is only the RWNs who have done so.

Ignoring the fact that left wing entities (Lab MPs, Mo, JC) have said there is anti-semitism and IT IS IN THIS CONTEXT that Jeremy Corbyn, by further continuing to embolden anti-semites, either made an error of judgement, or didn't.
    But you are again conflating all the issues of the past few weeks into one.

The fact that a small number of Labour members post antisemitic stuff and deny the Holocaust is a problem. The fact those members aren't chucked out is a problem. I would say Corbyn's comments about that mural are a problem. The fact he had Passover dinner with Jewish people is not a problem, and it's laughable to claim it is.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,708
    The Democratic base is not going to pick someone even more centrist than Clinton as Hickenlooper is, if he runs it will be on a third party ticket with Kasich.

Sanders let us not forget won New Hampshire in the 2016 primaries and lost Iowa by less than 1%
  • HYUFD said:

The Democratic base is not going to pick someone even more centrist than Clinton as Hickenlooper is, if he runs it will be on a third party ticket with Kasich.

Sanders let us not forget won New Hampshire in the 2016 primaries and lost Iowa by less than 1%

But lost the nomination.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    fpt
    Danny565 said:

The fact that a small number of Labour members post antisemitic stuff and deny the Holocaust is a problem. The fact those members aren't chucked out is a problem. I would say Corbyn's comments about that mural are a problem. The fact he had Passover dinner with Jewish people is not a problem, and it's laughable to claim it is.

I won't reply in too much detail as I need to go to the gym and hit something (not a bag with @TheJezziah's face on it!! :smile: ).

But his trip to Jewdas flew in the face of and arguably exacerbated all those issues of the past few weeks. As ever, @RochdalePioneers nailed it. Why not just avoid any potential issue or offence or exacerbation and not go?
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Nice longshot. I expect you'll make money on him in time, one way or another.

He needs to sort out the flyaway collar and get an acquaintanceship with a comb.
  • Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    edited April 2018
    HYUFD said:

To be fair Mike mentions that in his piece. But Ladbrokes have Hickenlooper at 40/1 for the Democratic nomination, not 16/1. 40/1 sounds more like it for the reasons you give.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,392
    If he doesn't run, can we call him Hicken the Chicken?
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038
    I still like the idea of Biden-Kennedy double ticket, with Biden promising one term only.

BF Exchange doesn't even feature Kennedy III. Only Caroline.
  • Nice longshot. I expect you'll make money on him in time, one way or another.

He needs to sort out the flyaway collar and get an acquaintanceship with a comb.

You sound like David Cameron’s Mum.
  • MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

HYUFD said:

But lost the nomination.
    And by sticking in the 2016 race for far too long enabled Trump to win the Presidency.
    TOPPING said:

fpt

Danny565 said:

I won't reply in too much detail as I need to go to the gym and hit something (not a bag with @TheJezziah's face on it!! :smile: ).

But his trip to Jewdas flew in the face of and arguably exacerbated all those issues of the past few weeks. As ever, @RochdalePioneers nailed it. Why not just avoid any potential issue or offence or exacerbation and not go?
    I don't see how it exacerbates it, unless one is being very disingenuous. "Jewdas" are a group which, however "far left" they may be, and however critical of Israel they may be, have a history of fighting antisemitism - they called for Ken Livingstone's expulsion, for example. I don't really see why right-wing commentators feel they have the right to designate which Jews are legitimate to meet and which aren't.

HYUFD said:

But lost the nomination.
    Had he won Iowa he would have won the nomination most likely.

Given Hillary was overwhelming favourite to be nominee Sanders did far better than expected
  • MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    edited April 2018

Mike have you ever had a long odds winner in the Presidential markets ?

Funny you should say that but modesty forbids me from highlighting what became my best known bet.

HYUFD said:

But lost the nomination.
    And by sticking in the 2016 race for far too long enabled Trump to win the Presidency.
    Hillary Clinton sticking in the 2016 race for far too long was what enabled Trump. Though he'd have beaten Sanders too, imo. Biden would have won.
    edited April 2018

HYUFD said:

To be fair Mike mentions that in his piece. But Ladbrokes have Hickenlooper at 40/1 for the Democratic nomination, not 16/1. 40/1 sounds more like it for the reasons you give.
    He is a better bet for the general election than the nomination but his problems getting the latter will mean he probably does not get to the former unless on a third party ticket
  • Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,232
    Hmm. I get the feeling that this latest 'Jewdas' revelation has only served to muddy the waters. The gripe now seems to be not that Jezza is anti-semitic but that he's not as slavishly pro-Israel/IDF as someone one like Guido would like. While this may still play well amongst Guido's fellow travellers, for Jezza's more mainstream critics it may only blunt their attacks.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,952

If he doesn't run, can we call him Hicken the Chicken?

I'm working on a SnookerLooper angle....
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

I have problems with flyaway collars, so I sympathise. The comb is less of a pressing need for me.

HYUFD said:

But lost the nomination.
    Hillary Clinton sticking in the 2016 race for far too long was what enabled Trump. Though he'd have beaten Sanders too, imo. Biden would have won.
    Agree on Biden. He would have taken the fight to Trump in a way HRC didn't.

However, I think she probably could have won if she had listened to her husband's pleas to get out into the rust belt and not the data wiz kids who said he was out of date.

HYUFD said:

But lost the nomination.
    No, had Sanders been the nominee he may well have won the rustbelt states like Michigan, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania as well as border state Iowa which Hillary lost and they would have been enough for him to win the presidency even if he lost every southern state bar Virginia
    On topic:-

Democrats to me feel very reminiscent of Labour in the 2010-15 period. They seem entirely focussed on screaming about what's wrong with the incumbents, rather than offering any positive alternative of their own. And to cap it off, the issue on which they're attacking Trump most is one which I'd imagine is rather esoteric to most Americans (the Russia scandal is the equivalent of the phone-hacking/Murdoch scandal in the Labour 2010-15 analogy).
  • Nice longshot. I expect you'll make money on him in time, one way or another.

I have problems with flyaway collars, so I sympathise. The comb is less of a pressing need for me.
    I take an instant dislike to people who wear dental floss thin ties.

Funny you should say that but modesty forbids me from highlighting what became my best known bet.
    Many, many moons ago, I made a tidy sum on an unknown from Arkansa called Bill.

Shows how long I've been at this mad game :-)

Well if Corbyn has his own song:

*singing* Ohhhhh Bama Smithson.......

I still like the idea of Biden-Kennedy double ticket, with Biden promising one term only.

BF Exchange doesn't even feature Kennedy III. Only Caroline.

Kennedy III has to run for Senate first, which he may do in 2020, 2024 is an election too early for him to run for POTUS
  • I’m also President of The Balthus Knot Appreciation Society.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,742
    edited April 2018

Though perhaps not quite so intimately as the incumbent.

Maybe it's time for a bit of au naturel.
    Tremendous Shippers' anecdote about the Prince Over the Water:
    https://twitter.com/ShippersUnbound/status/981098069424070656
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Jeremy Driver - @J_D_89: People mock, but I have it on good authority that centrists across the UK are holding secret ceremonies- offering blood sacrifices to banana effigies to aid the return of the "shadow king" David Miliband.
    Danny565 said:

Democrats to me feel very reminiscent of Labour in the 2010-15 period. They seem entirely focussed on screaming about what's wrong with the incumbents, rather than offering any positive alternative of their own. And to cap it off, the issue on which they're attacking Trump most is one which I'd imagine is rather esoteric to most Americans (the Russia scandal is the equivalent of the phone-hacking/Murdoch scandal in the Labour 2010-15 analogy).

If the Denocrats want their own Corbyn style populism then Bernie Sanders is surely their man?
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    Hopefully the French people back him over the unions.

@gabyhinsliff
    36m36 minutes ago
    More
    Worried that bringing back David Miliband is basically becoming the centrist equivalent of bringing back grammar schools
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Danny565 said:

@gabyhinsliff
    36m36 minutes ago
    More
    Worried that bringing back David Miliband is basically becoming the centrist equivalent of bringing back grammar schools

It's Cargo Cult behaviour (both examples)
  • SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited April 2018
    Scott_P said:
    .. and the Labour party passing off this meeting as "in a personal capacity"is complete BULLSHINE.
  • John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Danny565 said:

This is true of the Tories too. They're telling us how dreadful a Labour government would be, without the necessary magic ingredient - how wonderful life will be if we opt for another five years of Mrs May and her unlovely cabinet.
    Danny565 said:

@gabyhinsliff
    36m36 minutes ago
    More

Or Betamax.
  • According to the Sussex Friends of Israel Facebook group this is the programme from last night's Jewdas meeting.https://drive.google.com/file/d/1l3kr_7IFCjzSZ7MHclK1WIplUvbvkASp/view

The Prayer Against the State of Israel is well worth a read. Not sure if this would have been recited but for the Leader of Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition to have read out the last paragraph would have been quite something.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,557
    HYUFD said:

Agreed, he has a close to zero chance of actually getting the nomination. Having said that, 270 was a pretty good price for an active politician who isn't actually brain dead; nice trading bet.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    Who in Labour wants David Miliband back?!?

Can that be laid anywhere? I feel like getting some free money.
    MaxPB said:

BF have a lay at 40. Only £10 available.

Was she wrong ... ?
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited April 2018
    New forecast from Electoral Calculus based on March opinion polls:

Con 309
    Lab 265
    LD 13
    SNP 40

Con 42.3%
    Lab 41.0%
    LD 7.4%

http://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/homepage.html
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,753
    Wonderfully daft name. Governor of what used to be a swing state although it is now fairly reliably Democratic. Not a complete geriatric. His odds are falling with every sentence.

I have problems with flyaway collars, so I sympathise....
    At least you provide a reason for the existence of button downs.
    Scott_P said:
    He can't do worse than the last one.
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

According to the Sussex Friends of Israel Facebook group this is the programme from last night's Jewdas meeting.https://drive.google.com/file/d/1l3kr_7IFCjzSZ7MHclK1WIplUvbvkASp/view

The Prayer Against the State of Israel is well worth a read. Not sure if this would have been recited but for the Leader of Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition to have read out the last paragraph would have been quite something.

They are quite simply raving bonkers, no wonder Corbyn enjoyed his evening (in a personal capacity, of course).
  • OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    edited April 2018
    I can't remember who Clinton's VP pick was, yet I remember John Edwards was on the ticket in 2004. I didn't realise I was getting this old so quickly.

Edit: Tim Kaine, sounds like the poor chap who took over as Aussie captain recently.

According to the Sussex Friends of Israel Facebook group this is the programme from last night's Jewdas meeting.https://drive.google.com/file/d/1l3kr_7IFCjzSZ7MHclK1WIplUvbvkASp/view

Was that written by a 12 year old?
  • Nigelb said:

Was she wrong ... ?
    She wasn’t wrong.
  • TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387

MaxPB said:

BF have a lay at 40. Only £10 available.
    I bet on him at 35/1 :) only to free up some cash for elsewhere on my books mind

They are quite simply raving bonkers, no wonder Corbyn enjoyed his evening (in a personal capacity, of course).
    What do you think gives you the right to dictate who the "right kind" of Jew to meet is?
  • According to the Sussex Friends of Israel Facebook group this is the programme from last night's Jewdas meeting.https://drive.google.com/file/d/1l3kr_7IFCjzSZ7MHclK1WIplUvbvkASp/view

That’s a spoof.

Cut n paste Seder.

Oy Vey.
    Re: The Prince over the water.

Have I missed something this morning?
    edited April 2018
    [deleted] beaten to the line
  • RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,973

I see Owen Jones going all out to defend them too. What's happened to him? Is he trying to make amends for ever doubting Corbyn?
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Danny565 said:

What do you think gives you the right to dictate who the "right kind" of Jew to meet is?
    Nothing, which is why I haven't 'dictated' any such thing. Quite the contrary, I would expect that those are exactly the kind of Jews Corbyn would happy to meet. He's entirely inclusive, supporting a widely diverse set of bonkers groups.
    AndyJS said:

Con 309
    Lab 265
    LD 13
    SNP 40

Con 42.3%
    Lab 41.0%
    LD 7.4%

Vince Cable holds the balance of power
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    MaxPB said:

Indeed the unions are striking over reforms that Macron said he would do if elected.

Good luck to Macron.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880
    MaxPB said:

I wouldn't count on it. France is a country where the voters lie to the politicians by voting for reformist leaders then en allant aux barricades when reform is proposed.
    DavidL said:

Wonderfully daft name. Governor of what used to be a swing state although it is now fairly reliably Democratic. Not a complete geriatric. His odds are falling with every sentence.

For some reason I can't disassociate his name from this Dr Seuss book:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrambled_Eggs_Super!

"Scrambled Eggs Super Dee Dooper Dee Booper Special Deluxe a la Peter T. Hooper..."
    edited April 2018

I see Owen Jones going all out to defend them too. What's happened to him? Is he trying to make amends for ever doubting Corbyn?
    Plenty of sane people, who had been previously critical of Labour's handling of antisemitism, are defending Corbyn over this.

Rhea Wolfson was on radio just yesterday saying how she was frustrated with how so many actual antisemites aren't being chucked out of the party - https://www.thejc.com/news/uk-news/labour-antisemitism-jewish-momentum-rhea-wolfson-corbyn-1.461778 - but today has been posting things like this on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/rheawolfson/status/981050566917984257

• sladeslade Posts: 1,920

Many moons ago I gave a lecture and touted a Governor from Georgia called Carter - but forgot to put a bet on it.
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,122
    Danny565 said:

Lol - you're getting manic with the continual posting today. No need to worry Jeremy's position is secure - nothing so far has budged him so always unlikely that the Jewish front could do it. Everything is hunky dory. I for one am very happy to see Labour continue to be led by JC.
    slade said:

Many moons ago I gave a lecture and touted a Governor from Georgia called Carter - but forgot to put a bet on it.
    Good one. Did you bet on a 2nd term?
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Dura_Ace said:

MaxPB said:

I wouldn't count on it. France is a country where the voters lie to the politicians by voting for reformist leaders then en allant aux barricades when reform is proposed.
    Alternatively the strikers heading to the barricades aren't the same voters who elected the politician in the first place. So we have democracy trumped by caving in to the strikers.
  • sladeslade Posts: 1,920

slade said:

Good one. Did you bet on a 2nd term?
    No.
    Conspiracy theory time: I wonder if McDonnell suggested to Jezza that he ought to attend the Jewdas event?
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,742
    edited April 2018
    Boorish bananaman has some provenance.

https://twitter.com/holyroodmandy/status/981138706148089856
    Danny565 said:

Plenty of sane people, who had been previously critical of Labour's handling of antisemitism, are defending Corbyn over this.

Rhea Wolfson was on radio just yesterday saying how she was frustrated with how so many actual antisemites aren't being chucked out of the party - https://www.thejc.com/news/uk-news/labour-antisemitism-jewish-momentum-rhea-wolfson-corbyn-1.461778 - but today has been posting things like this on Twitter:

I feel there's a Woody Allen joke somewhere in there.
    Danny565 said:

So what you're saying is the group of people Corbyn was attempting to unify have split over this issue?

Brilliant tactics.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,956
    edited April 2018

In today’s Times, mentions one D Miliband.

https://twitter.com/thetimes/status/981117069491101697?s=21

Conspiracy theory time: I wonder if McDonnell suggested to Jezza that he ought to attend the Jewdas event?

Delivered with McDonnell's ruthlessness, this might have worked.
  • philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

Con 309
    Lab 265
    LD 13
    SNP 40

Con 42.3%
    Lab 41.0%
    LD 7.4%

Vince Cable holds the balance of power
    I wouldn't trust Vince to hold anything for long. He'll drop it.

Delivered with McDonnell's ruthlessness, this might have worked.
    Why would he hasten the leadership of Thornberry?

In today’s Times, mentions one D Miliband.

https://twitter.com/thetimes/status/981117069491101697?s=21
    Ta. Missed this one.

This is an annual rite of spring now. A news story about Miliband returning to the shores like some migrating snow goose.

Top Tip Jeremy: If McDonnell suggests you do a Solidarity For Bobby Sands Fast.....pack some sandwiches.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,840
    I consider myself a pretty centrist sort of guy, but if the answer is David Miliband Lord only knows what the question is.
    I'm going to take a wild stab, and guess that these chaps aren't Jewish:

"Two men arrested in Dewsbury on suspicion of terrorist plot"

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/apr/03/two-men-arrested-dewsbury-suspicion-terrorist-plot
  • david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,401

Dura_Ace said:

MaxPB said:

Alternatively the strikers heading to the barricades aren't the same voters who elected the politician in the first place. So we have democracy trumped by caving in to the strikers.
    It should be remembered that for all the media orgasms over Macron, he only won 24% of the vote in the first round: more than three-quarters of voters backed someone else. he won because he wasn't Le Pen. In the Fifth Republic's history, only Chirac (twice) was elected with a smaller first-round share.
    Pulpstar said:

I consider myself a pretty centrist sort of guy, but if the answer is David Miliband Lord only knows what the question is.

"Who is the rudest interviewee you have ever met?" seems to be a popular answer from journalists to that query.

Tim Shipman suggested that that reason alone was why he lost the leadership (though being rude to others, including unions, must also have played a possibly sufficient part).
    felix said:
    I mean, just how f*cking stupid do you have to be to get selected as a Labour MP?
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517
    Having given this some thought, I think the only answer is that Corbyn's going for this record:;
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YFsPKkR8ok
  • philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    Pulpstar said:

Maybe there is a belief that he will flourish and grow into a good politician, be a wonderful speaker generating enthusiasm and loyalty in the electorate, that he will become a sure footed colossus of ideas and policy. It will magically happen if he is leader.

In any other galaxy or universe this requires pixie dust, powerful drugs and some extensive and ground breaking surgery to D Milliband providing him with emotional intelligence, empathy, charisma and a successful political mind, and that is just for starters.
    So no one wants him, he doesn't want it, and even if that weren't the case, he'd be useless.

Sounds as though great uncle Vince is safe for another few months...
  • YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    felix said:
    Probably the training needed for Naz is not to use Twitter.

There were always lots of very dumb MPs, but we never knew about them.

Twitter has removed all doubt about the collective stupidity of MPs, whether they are the Labour MP for Bradford West or the Tory MP for Mansfield.
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

He is a better bet for the general election than the nomination but his problems getting the latter will mean he probably does not get to the former unless on a third party ticket
    He has much more chance of winning the presidency as a Democrat than some third party / joint ticket run. The logistics of mounting that kind of outsider campaign are almost impossible to overcome. By contrast, a sensible centre candidate won't fire up the student vote but after three years of Trump, voters might have wearied a little of populists and radicals. That's not to say it'd be a walk in the park but it should certainly provide a route to the White House for a capable candidate.

felix said:
    Probably the training needed for Naz is not to use Twitter.

There were always lots of very dumb MPs, but we never knew about them.

Twitter has removed all doubt about the collective stupidity of MPs, whether they are the Labour MP for Bradford West or the Tory MP for Mansfield.
    There is a long history of stupid MPs.

This discussion has been closed.