Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The latest PB/Polling Matters podcast

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited April 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The latest PB/Polling Matters podcast

On this week’s podcast, Keiran Pedley and Leo Barasi focus on recent polling of Labour members by YouGov looking at Corbyn’s job approval rating and their reactions to the recent anti-Semitism row engulfing the party. Leo looks at how these results compare to a similar survey this time last year and Keiran has a bone to pick with how the anti-Semitism numbers were presented in the media.

Read the full story here

Comments

• It’s only half time.
  • That was up there with Dortmund 2016
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited April 2018
    Man killed in Hackney stabbing

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-43649193

There was fascinating segment on the Radio Daily Mirror this morning, where various community types blamed everybody / everything but the individuals, one even said we need to get past blaming people...but its all Mrs May fault, but not Khan, despite them saying one reason was a decrease in police on the beat...which has occurred since Khan had been mayor.
  • RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

There was fascinating segment on the Radio Daily Mirror this morning, where various community types blamed everybody / everything but the individuals, one even said we need to get past blaming people...but its all Mrs May fault, but not Khan, despite them saying one reason was a decrease in police on the beat...which has occurred since Khan had been mayor.

Genuine question - are police numbers under the control of the mayor?
  • alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    Khan’s fare freeze (of which there is no real justification) has meant that the rest of his budget has had to be redirected towards meeting the additional costs which can’t be waved away.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,955

It’s only half time.

I strongly believe that Man City have given you a three goal lead, just to crush your spirits when they win the second leg by a clear five....

Yes....to some extent.
  • glwglw Posts: 9,535

Cressida Dick doesn't inspire confidence either with her blaming social media. Social media is not new, so why now? And why London?
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,758
    The real problem is that the police show insufficient respect to the local thugs.
  • Man killed in Hackney stabbing

Not really, the government provides 70% of the police budget via grants and have control over some key budgets within that, such as counter terrorism.

Since 2010 the government has cut the grants by over £700m (or circa 40%)
  • glw said:

Cressida Dick doesn't inspire confidence either with her blaming social media. Social media is not new, so why now? And why London?
    Report said the communities are living in fear and are not giving any information to the police, probably scared of what might happen to them. It really is alarming
  • TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    alex. said:

Khan’s fare freeze (of which there is no real justification) has meant that the rest of his budget has had to be redirected towards meeting the additional costs which can’t be waved away.

That's not true... yet. TfL's loss continues to sit with TfL.
    edited April 2018
    Sean_F said:

The real problem is that the police show insufficient respect to the local thugs.

Oh I forgot to say, one of the community types actually said this....they said the police disrespect young men and don't know how to de-escalate situations..that they need new and special training to deal with the youth of today.

It was pitiful listening to all these people blaming everything / everybody except those running around killing others.
  • It’s only half time.

I strongly believe that Man City have given you a three goal lead, just to crush your spirits when they win the second leg by a clear five....
    If there's one club in the world that knows about throwing away a 3 nil lead at half time it is us.

Plus no Salah, Henderson, and possibly no defenders next week and I'm gonna put a ton on City to qualify.
    Facebook believes the data of up to 87 million people was improperly shared with the political consultancy Cambridge Analytica - many more than previously disclosed.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-43649018

Interesting how the term "improperly shared" is now being used, rather than initial claims of illegal.
  • TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387

It’s only half time.

If there's one club in the world that knows about throwing away a 3 nil lead at half time it is us.

Plus no Salah, Henderson, and possibly no defenders next week and I'm gonna put a ton on City to qualify.
    You're only 1/5!

• Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Surely it would raise more eyebrows if she wasn't fundraising?
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

And if her “secret dinners” were so secret that they weren’t registered in the Members Interests Register?
    glw said:

Actually if you read what she said, rather than the misrepresentations by the usual suspects, it was quite sensible. She was referring to a particular characteristic of some recent flare-ups of violence, where videos of fights had been shared on-line leading to very rapid escalation. She wasn't blaming social media for the whole problem.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/mar/31/met-commissioner-says-social-media-is-behind-soaring-rate-of-knife
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,001
    edited April 2018

It’s only half time.

It was noticeable that when Salah went off so did Liverpool but notwithstanding they were majestic in the first half and dogged in the second.

An away goal next week should give them the tie. I expect City to play 11 reserves v United on Saturday
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 15,542
    Talking about the popularity of Corbyn and Johnson (previous thread). Yougov have popularity ratings for public figures. I am not sure how valid it is, but Corbyn is head and shoulders more popular, -13, than any other politician. Johnson is the most popular Tory at -38, May at -39, Gove at -66, Hunt at -57.

https://yougov.co.uk/opi/browse/Jeremy_Corbyn
    edited April 2018
    Charles said:

And if her “secret dinners” were so secret that they weren’t registered in the Members Interests Register?
    I had a 'secret dinner' with her (along with a dozen other party members) back in around 2012. Very interesting it was too - I was impressed. Mind you, in those days it was about £100 to £500 donations to her Hastings campaign.
  • Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237
    As I missed the last thread...

The Tories would be utter loons to elect Boris. Oh hang on, they elected IDS.
  • glwglw Posts: 9,535

Actually if you read what she said, rather than the misrepresentations by the usual suspects, it was quite sensible. She was referring to a particular characteristic of some recent flare-ups of violence, where videos of fights had been shared on-line leading to very rapid escalation. She wasn't blaming social media for the whole problem.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/mar/31/met-commissioner-says-social-media-is-behind-soaring-rate-of-knife

I know what she said, but it still doesn't explain why now and why in London. It's not the medium, that's not unique. Nor is this the first time shared social media has been blamed for attacks. What's the actual cause of this spate?

Is it a particular gang dispute? Is it a statistical fluke? Is it copycat attacks? Which is apparently quite a common phenomenom with suicide and social media. That's what we need to know.

It's a bit like the US argument about gun violence, there is an awful lot of arguing about gun rights, but less debate about why America differs so much from countries with similar gun laws.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    FF43 said:

Talking about the popularity of Corbyn and Johnson (previous thread). Yougov have popularity ratings for public figures. I am not sure how valid it is, but Corbyn is head and shoulders more popular, -13, than any other politician. Johnson is the most popular Tory at -38, May at -39, Gove at -66, Hunt at -57.

So on that basis of that poll the only Tory it is worth replacing May with is Boris, the other main alternatives have a lower favourability rating than May, only Boris polls better with the public than May does
    edited April 2018
    Chris_A said:

As I missed the last thread...

The Tories would be utter loons to elect Boris. Oh hang on, they elected IDS.

IDS never lost an election! He won most votes at both the 2002 and 2003 local elections
    edited April 2018
    Hillary had $300 000 a plate fundraising dinners (I hope the meal was worth it as the donation certainly wasn't)
    HYUFD said:

Hillary had $300 000 a plate fundraising dinners
    Well you don't want any deplorables attending...
    glw said:

I know what she said, but it still doesn't explain why now and why in London. It's not the medium, that's not unique. Nor is this the first time shared social media has been blamed for attacks. What's the actual cause of this spate?

Is it a particular gang dispute? Is it a statistical fluke? Is it copycat attacks? Which is apparently quite a common phenomenom with suicide and social media. That's what we need to know.

It's a bit like the US argument about gun violence, there is an awful lot of arguing about gun rights, but less debate about why America differs so much from countries with similar gun laws.
    It's a good question, and I suspect that (as often) there isn't a simple answer. There may well be a mixture of causes. However, the first thing to do is to try to crack down on the immediate violence, analysis of the underlying causes can and will have to wait.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 15,542

Facebook believes the data of up to 87 million people was improperly shared with the political consultancy Cambridge Analytica - many more than previously disclosed.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-43649018

Interesting how the term "improperly shared" is now being used, rather than initial claims of illegal.

It is almost certainly illegal under the UK Data Protection Act that applies to any data processing in the UK. The fact the subjects were largely US citizens isn't I believe relevant.
  • HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

So on that basis of that poll the only Tory it is worth replacing May with is Boris, the other main alternatives have a lower favourability rating than May, only Boris polls better with the public than May does
    Fair play, you are so consistent and loyal to Boris

Time to wish you and everyone a peaceful nights rest

Good night
    edited April 2018
    FF43 said:

Mayor of Manchester Andy Burnham is on +14, suggesting had he beaten Corbyn in 2015 he might well be PM now
  • DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

I'm trying to remember the name of the government that cut the Met's (and other police forces') budgets. It's something like ... "the government".

HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

Fair play, you are so consistent and loyal to Boris

Time to wish you and everyone a peaceful nights rest

Good night
    If is not Boris we may as well keep May.

Good night

HYUFD said:

Hillary had $300 000 a plate fundraising dinners
    Well you don't want any deplorables attending...
    Nor voting for you it seems

I'm trying to remember the name of the government that cut the Met's (and other police forces') budgets. It's something like ... "the government".
    It can't be shortage of money, the Met had so much spare dosh that they could happily blow £2.5m chasing a chimera:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/sep/02/met-police-pay-compensation-over-operation-midland-raids
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    BBC News: two more homicides tonight in London.
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    edited April 2018
    alex. said:

There is no fare freeze - just another busted commitment from Khan
    Floater said:

alex. said:

Just as well - it was a stupid commitment. He went up a lot in my estimation when he reneged on it.
  • RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    Rudd is the Tory Home Secretary who let Hezbollah protest when Sadiq Khan wanted them banned.

She is wasting her time. She will never be party leader or PM. The membership will never elect her.
    edited April 2018
    RoyalBlue said:

Rudd is the Tory Home Secretary who let Hezbollah protest when Sadiq Khan wanted them banned.

She is wasting her time. She will never be party leader or PM. The membership will never elect her.
    On the contrary, she's got quite a good chance. If she had a safe seat I think she'd be the most likely next leader.

Anyway - time for bed!
  • RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223

RoyalBlue said:

On the contrary, she's got quite a good chance. If she had a safe seat I think she'd be the most likely next leader.
    What are you basing that on? Genuinely curious.

I’ve never heard another member speak about her with enthusiasm, and she’s irritated others by some of her actions. Her bluff manner isn’t enough to hide orthodox ‘wet’ views which are a minority taste in the party (TSE notwithstanding). I know lots of Remainer MPs like her, but they don’t make the final decision.

Being a former director of companies in tax havens won’t help either.
  • hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591

RoyalBlue said:

Anyway - time for bed!
    This will stop the Home Secretary from ever becoming Prime Minister - she shouldn't be Home Secretary given her past business career, let alone PM:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/sep/21/amber-rudd-monticello-ill-fated-step-complicated-career-bahamas-leaks
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,841

Floater said:

alex. said:

Just as well - it was a stupid commitment. He went up a lot in my estimation when he reneged on it.
    I think fares could be frozen. Proper reform of the pension scheme and a move to driverless trains could save the average Londoner cash

RoyalBlue said:

Anyway - time for bed!
    Zero chance. Certainly not following May at any rate.
    All the Corbyn outriders with their tin foil hats will be claiming this is made up or something..

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/981644823450062853
    edited April 2018
    Pulpstar said:

Floater said:

alex. said:

I think fares could be frozen. Proper reform of the pension scheme and a move to driverless trains could save the average Londoner cash
    Driverless trains...when the Supreme leader is elected, they will be banned. So that idea is out the window.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 11,182

It’s only half time.

It was noticeable that when Salah went off so did Liverpool but notwithstanding they were majestic in the first half and dogged in the second.

An away goal next week should give them the tie. I expect City to play 11 reserves v United on Saturday
    I wouldn't know for sure - but I suspect most City fans wuld happily wave the European Cup goodbye if it meant winning the league by beating Man U in the derby.
  • hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591
    More utter nonsense, as we're going into a Mini Ice Age into 2024:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/science/941202/ash-sunshade-Solar-geo-engineering-global-warming

Lots of record snowfalls all across the world over the northern hemisphere winter plus summer snows in places like Tasmania - cold is the new warm, yeah right!
    hunchman said:
    I am sure Boris is devastated by the outrage of Corbynistas and conspiracy theorists on twitter
  • If you want a bad regime to commit even worse crimes, then carry on appeasing it.

We love the way this England football team has gone about its business in recent matches. Going to a tournament this summer will bring the team and young players on in leaps and bounds. But the tournament can’t be Putins Regimes World Cup at this time. Simples.

The strongest decision is to make a cool, principled pull out now, before participation becomes a debate, and get on with arranging a couple of friendlies for the team instead, and for the nation to rally around other great sport going on here and with our stars abroad this spring and summer.

The public will be right behind the government when it asks FA to withdraw.

If other European countries choose to leave us and go, we won’t be the mugs, they will be the mugs next time Putins crew pulls another terror stunt in Europe, perhaps even annexing the Russian speaking half of Ukraine soon enough.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

All the Corbyn outriders with their tin foil hats will be claiming this is made up or something..

twitter.com/hendopolis/status/981644823450062853

They'll only believe it if the FSB confirm it.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,766

Well, it would be nice to think Ray Wilkins was still alive.
    rcs1000 said:

Well, it would be nice to think Ray Wilkins was still alive.
    In the weird world of Alex Jones Maomentumers, who knows what they believe....that it was a plot by the government to distract from some bad news for the government.
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited April 2018
    "The Tories are in denial about the terrible violence on our streets
    Tackling youth violence requires more than a knee-jerk response, says Diane Abbott"

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/tories-denial-terrible-violence-streets-12303834
  • Cookie said:

It’s only half time.

I wouldn't know for sure - but I suspect most City fans wuld happily wave the European Cup goodbye if it meant winning the league by beating Man U in the derby.
    Firstly, yes they are desperate to rub United noses in it. Anything less would risk devaluing the whole thing.

Secondly, why on earth would they play a second string team? Their problem at Anfield was not fatigue, and that won't be the issue in the second leg either.
    edited April 2018
    While we are wondering why the plod aren't tackling the violence in London...utter twatishness in Derbyshire.

A police male voice choir is changing its name and distancing itself from its force after being told it went against equal opportunities policies.

Derbyshire Constabulary Male Voice Choir was asked to become a mixed-voice group in September last year. But chairman Kevin Griffiths said it would be "difficult" to hire the 50 women needed to balance the sound.

Derbyshire Police chief constable Peter Goodman said the group was "incompatible" with force policies.

It will now be known as the Derbyshire Community Male Voice Choir.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-derbyshire-43646802
    Jeremy Corbyn wants to install an activist who defended Ken Livingstone on anti-Semitism claims as Labour discipline chief.

His office is lining up Claudia Webbe to take over as chairman of the disputes panel, sources said yesterday.

Miss Webbe is a former adviser to ex-mayor of London Mr Livingstone and worked on his election bids in 2000 and 2004.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5579787/Jeremy-Corbyn-backs-Claudia-Webbe-defended-Ken-Livingstone-anti-Semitism-discipline-chief.html

Sounds a perfect choice.
  • TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

Mayor of Manchester Andy Burnham is on +14, suggesting had he beaten Corbyn in 2015 he might well be PM now
    Looking at his popularity over a longer period it seemed to drop at the points he became better known. His positive rating seems to be based on not being that well known. If he became leader and the papers treated him the same way they treated Ed I'd be surprised if his rating would be as high as Corbyn's.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,758
    edited April 2018

While we are wondering why the plod aren't tackling the violence in London...utter twatishness in Derbyshire.

A police male voice choir is changing its name and distancing itself from its force after being told it went against equal opportunities policies.

Derbyshire Constabulary Male Voice Choir was asked to become a mixed-voice group in September last year. But chairman Kevin Griffiths said it would be "difficult" to hire the 50 women needed to balance the sound.

Derbyshire Police chief constable Peter Goodman said the group was "incompatible" with force policies.

It will now be known as the Derbyshire Community Male Voice Choir.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-derbyshire-43646802

Where do they get these people from?
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    What a bloody good football match that was. Matched only by the severity of this morning’s hangover!

Now watch City wallop us 4-0 next week.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,557
    According to the BBC, North Korea's missiles are really, really slow....
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43648259
  • AndyJS said:

Tackling youth violence requires more than a knee-jerk response, says Diane Abbott"

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/tories-denial-terrible-violence-streets-12303834

And the swinging budget cuts - which the Met police warned would leave them unable to cope - definitely have nothing to do with it...

AndyJS said:

And the swinging budget cuts - which the Met police warned would leave them unable to cope - definitely have nothing to do with it...
    If the Mayor wishes to spend more money on the police, he can raise the taxes to do so.
    Sandpit said:

AndyJS said:

If the Mayor wishes to spend more money on the police, he can raise the taxes to do so.
    The mayor does and is but the additional £110 million does not make up for government cuts (remind us -- who was Home Secretary?)
    https://www.london.gov.uk/press-releases/mayoral/budget-confirms-110m-for-met-police
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164
    What was it William Gaillard said? "The worst fans Europe"

https://tinyurl.com/ycdpszw3
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

Sandpit said:

AndyJS said:

The mayor does and is but the additional £110 million does not make up for government cuts (remind us -- who was Home Secretary?)
    https://www.london.gov.uk/press-releases/mayoral/budget-confirms-110m-for-met-police
    "This investment means City Hall is paying a greater percentage of the overall police budget in the capital than ever before – up from 18 per cent in 2010 to 23 per cent today, pushing the burden for policing the capital city away from general taxation and onto hard-pressed Londoners."

Much nicer when someone else pays for it, isn't it? :p
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517
    tlg86 said:

I wonder how much the policing for this 'event' cost, and whether the clubs fully pay such costs?
    RobD said:

Sandpit said:

AndyJS said:

"This investment means City Hall is paying a greater percentage of the overall police budget in the capital than ever before – up from 18 per cent in 2010 to 23 per cent today, pushing the burden for policing the capital city away from general taxation and onto hard-pressed Londoners."

London subsidises the rest of the country,
    https://blog.ons.gov.uk/2017/06/12/the-wealth-of-regions-measuring-the-uks-tax-and-spending-imbalance/

RobD said:

Sandpit said:

AndyJS said:

https://blog.ons.gov.uk/2017/06/12/the-wealth-of-regions-measuring-the-uks-tax-and-spending-imbalance/
    I always find it interesting that people who believe in progressive taxation don’t apply this to the community level as well.

Surely it is obvious that fiscal transfers are key to a unified state?
    Charles said:

RobD said:

Sandpit said:

AndyJS said:

I always find it interesting that people who believe in progressive taxation don’t apply this to the community level as well.

Surely it is obvious that fiscal transfers are key to a unified state?
    Of course it is. Really this sub-thread shows my stupidity in following it away from the key point that baby-eating Tories cut the Metropolitan Police so badly they had to set Inspector Morse in Oxford.
    RobD said:

Sandpit said:

AndyJS said:

That political press release also contains a long list of pet projects he’s funding, it’s the mayor’s choice to starve the police of resources while spending £45m on youth clubs and £1m on the “London Borough of Culture” scheme. The mayor needs to take responsibility, as we all know the police chief’s record on accepting responsibility.

tlg86 said:

I wonder how much the policing for this 'event' cost, and whether the clubs fully pay such costs?
    AIUI the clubs pay for policing inside the ground. Agree wholeheartedly that football clubs should pay the entire bill for policing matches. Even for a big match like that it’s not going to be much more than £1 from each ticket. (200 police at £200 each is £40k, plus some horses and a helicopter).
    Sandpit said:

RobD said:

Sandpit said:

AndyJS said:

That political press release also contains a long list of pet projects he’s funding, it’s the mayor’s choice to starve the police of resources while spending £45m on youth clubs and £1m on the “London Borough of Culture” scheme. The mayor needs to take responsibility, as we all know the police chief’s record on accepting responsibility.
    What possible role could youth clubs play in youth crime prevention? Back on planet Earth. government police cuts have led to rising crime. What happened to the party of Laura Norder?
    Nigelb said:

And can't travel inland. (Although he has the capacity to bugger up beach holidays. And put our donkeys at risk. The bastard....)
    edited April 2018

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

Sandpit said:

AndyJS said:

What possible role could youth clubs play in youth crime prevention? Back on planet Earth. government police cuts have led to rising crime. What happened to the party of Laura Norder?
    The rising crime is only in one city, everywhere else in the country the police have learned to do more with less - without the constant bleating.

From reading around the story this week that a youth worker was shot dead, it appears that the youth clubs act as magnets for the gangs and drug dealers. More police on the beat will have a much bigger effect on crime than more youth clubs, but the mayor prefers to blame others for things that are in his power to sort out.

(You may have guessed I’m not Mr Khan’s greatest fan).
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

Sandpit said:

AndyJS said:

The rising crime is only in one city, everywhere else in the country the police have learned to do more with less - without the constant bleating.

From reading around the story this week that a youth worker was shot dead, it appears that the youth clubs act as magnets for the gangs and drug dealers. More police on the beat will have a much bigger effect on crime than more youth clubs, but the mayor prefers to blame others for things that are in his power to sort out.

More police on the beat? How many police and PCSOs were lost because of government cuts? Thousands wasn't it?
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,758
    Nigelb said:

The April Fool season does seem to be somewhat prolonged this year.

And what happened to 45 minutes? That worked well the last time.
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

Sandpit said:

AndyJS said:

As always there is a role for both. Youth clubs can be important to stop younger kids drifting into the gang lifestyle from a lack of alternatives plus gives them option for skill development.

But you need to be very careful to make sure they don’t become dominated by a gang environment
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Re the podcast.

Interesting that you say 'Boris Johnson is not a popular man'. I can't say I'm surprised because I can't stand him but I didn't realise it was a widely shared view.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,730

Nigelb said:

And can't travel inland. (Although he has the capacity to bugger up beach holidays. And put our donkeys at risk. The bastard....)
    At least he's not trying to bugger our donkeys...

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

Sandpit said:

AndyJS said:

More police on the beat? How many police and PCSOs were lost because of government cuts? Thousands wasn't it?
    The Met police report to the mayor, not to the government (although yes there is some interaction around VIP and diplomatic protection). Any cuts in numbers are down to Sadiq Khan and his funding priorities. He’s criticising others for his own choices.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,730
    Sandpit said:

The Met police report to the mayor, not to the government (although yes there is some interaction around VIP and diplomatic protection). Any cuts in numbers are down to Sadiq Khan and his funding priorities. He’s criticising others for his own choices.

Are you saying Sadiq is not doing all he Khan?
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880
    Help with homework: I have started writing my article on defence policy but I need some reliable polling data on how punters ranked the salience of various issues (health, immigration, defence, etc.) at the last GE. Any ideas?
  • alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

Sandpit said:

How much are they still spending on investigating Maddie McCann's disappearance?
    edited April 2018
    Charles said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

Sandpit said:

AndyJS said:

As always there is a role for both. Youth clubs can be important to stop younger kids drifting into the gang lifestyle from a lack of alternatives plus gives them option for skill development.

But you need to be very careful to make sure they don’t become dominated by a gang environment
    Agree completely that there can be a role for both, I just think the mayor is being hugely disengenuous by seeking to blame anyone else for his own failing to prevent an explosion in gangland killings on his own patch.

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

Sandpit said:

AndyJS said:

Academics tell us the correlation between the number of police and crime is weak in property crime and non existent for violent crime: https://www.justiceinspectorates.gov.uk/hmicfrs/media/police-numbers-and-crime-rates-rapid-evidence-review-20110721.pdf

But whatever the science of it one of the major functions of police is to make us feel safe and a higher profile street presence clearly does that. I also think that it is not so much the number of police but what you do with them. The risk of carrying weapons on our streets must be increased which means more stop and search and more aggressive intelligence led searches for guns etc.

London has a particular problem with the enhanced security status because it has so many obvious targets. This ties up a disproportionate level of resources and the Met maintain that the additional money they have had from central government does not come close to covering it.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Good morning, everyone.

Must say I thought ITV (News at Ten) was atrocious last night. The second story was buying into and propaganda for the nonsense of the gender pay gap, but the top story was worse.

It was a step away from being RT. Boris fluffed his lines on a serious matter and one tweet out of many was not quite right (a mistake but it does not affect the fundamental facts). The new(ish) political idiot Paul Brand (who has previously fronted a supportive segment for lowering entry standards to universities for those from state schools, and when ending a segment on Grenfell Tower said it raised questions about what kind of society we have and even who governs us [no... it doesn't]) was saying even a small hole in the ship can sink the vessel.

Nowhere that I saw did he or Julie Etchingham point out that it isn't Porton Down's job to identify the source of the agent [which was mentioned yesterday although it was still top story despite them pointing out, effectively, they did their job correctly and nothing that was found or said contravened the Government's position], and nor did they point out that intelligence information was what convinced the UK Government (and those of dozens of other countries around the world) that Russia was to blame.

It was shockingly bad reporting. No wonder people trust the media less and less.
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    alex. said:

How much are they still spending on investigating Maddie McCann's disappearance?

Too much. Let alone that her parents were never prosecuted for neglect in leaving her alone for hours, that should be a cold case now.

Between that and the fantasist "Nick"'s 'Westminster VIP sex abuse' investigation etc the Met can find many millions to blow.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,841
    tlg86 said:

What a disgrace. Robbed us (Coventry City) of European football in 88 too
  • MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,921
    Roger said:

Re the podcast.

Interesting that you say 'Boris Johnson is not a popular man'. I can't say I'm surprised because I can't stand him but I didn't realise it was a widely shared view.

When historians of the future look back for the causes of Boris' rise, will this post be a key part? :)
    DavidL said:

Academics tell us the correlation between the number of police and crime is weak in property crime and non existent for violent crime: https://www.justiceinspectorates.gov.uk/hmicfrs/media/police-numbers-and-crime-rates-rapid-evidence-review-20110721.pdf

But whatever the science of it one of the major functions of police is to make us feel safe and a higher profile street presence clearly does that. I also think that it is not so much the number of police but what you do with them. The risk of carrying weapons on our streets must be increased which means more stop and search and more aggressive intelligence led searches for guns etc.

London has a particular problem with the enhanced security status because it has so many obvious targets. This ties up a disproportionate level of resources and the Met maintain that the additional money they have had from central government does not come close to covering it.
    There is probably a case for so-called Elliot Ness strategies -- using anything from income tax evasion to watching television without a licence to target the gang controllers. It is not 15-year-olds importing drugs or exporting stolen phones. Separately, London could probably learn from the Scottish approach to prevention.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263

Good morning, everyone.

Must say I thought ITV (News at Ten) was atrocious last night. The second story was buying into and propaganda for the nonsense of the gender pay gap, but the top story was worse.

It was shockingly bad reporting. No wonder people trust the media less and less.

Never watch ITV or Sky News (why bother with ads when you don't have to?) and wonder how many people do?
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

Sandpit said:

AndyJS said:

I think you are overstating the position. About 70% of the funding comes from national government and that is where the cuts have been imposed. There is a limited amount the Mayor can do about that. Where I think the Mayor can have more impact is the policies that the Met operate.

I also remember the huge fuss when Boris removed that prat Blair as head of the Met without asking the Labour Home Secretary of the day who appreciated the endlessly supportive comments from him. He was found to have the right to but the relationship between the Mayor and the Home Sec in relation to the Met was complicated.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Mr. Palmer, there aren't ads during the news (now and then there'll be one in the middle, but that's it). Not to mention, the problem with the ITV News last night wasn't that adverts were interrupting, but that they weren't.

DavidL said:

There is probably a case for so-called Elliot Ness strategies -- using anything from income tax evasion to watching television without a licence to target the gang controllers. It is not 15-year-olds importing drugs or exporting stolen phones. Separately, London could probably learn from the Scottish approach to prevention.
    Police Scotland is a disaster zone that exists to make the Met look good. At the moment we don't even have a Chief Constable and we are very likely to have a court case with the last one.

But I agree on the Elliot Ness approach.
  • TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

Looking at his popularity over a longer period it seemed to drop at the points he became better known. His positive rating seems to be based on not being that well known. If he became leader and the papers treated him the same way they treated Ed I'd be surprised if his rating would be as high as Corbyn's.
    The 2015 Labour leadership election was interesting and frustrating in that collectively they had everything you need to be PM, but no single candidate had it all.
This discussion has been closed.