Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why we should focus much more on leader ratings and less on vo

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited April 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why we should focus much more on leader ratings and less on voting intention

The publication of two sets of leader ratings by Deltapoll and YouGov over the weekend has put a lot of attention on these regular trackers which the records suggest are a better guide to what will happen in elections than voting intention polls.

Read the full story here

Comments

• I agree.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    edited April 2018
    Leader ratings were certainly the best predictor of who would win in 1992 and 2015 but in 2017 the pollsters were not that far off in predicting the Tory score it was just that they underestimated the Labour score.

On leader ratings in 2017 Corbyn should have won
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Exactly. Statement of present objective view trumps statement of future subjective intention.
  • Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,232
    If, as we're all agreed, Jezza is the worst political leader in the history of everything, then Theresa's ratings really are supremely shit.
  • volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    As events change so can leader ratings.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    FPT - Peter Kellner on the challenges facing a new party:

http://www.deltapoll.co.uk/breaking-the-grip
  • Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,232
    I'm starting to think that Jezza will be swept to power. While not obvious just yet, it will become grimly apparent when Theresa's Great Brexit Betrayal causes everything to implode.
  • AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    Both leaders are utterly shite.

Yet with leaders so crap in the two main parties, and the political environment so febrile, who knows? Might be worth someone vaguely sane having a punt, what with Tessa the Lesser and Corb the Zorb as their feckless opponents.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    What is the latest for these ratings ?

Corbyn certainly campaigned very well in 2017.
    Anazina said:

Yet with leaders so crap in the two main parties, and the political environment so febrile, who knows? Might be worth someone vaguely sane having a punt, what with Tessa the Lesser and Corb the Zorb as their feckless opponents.
    Uncle Vince says Hi.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    edited April 2018

I'm starting to think that Jezza will be swept to power. While not obvious just yet, it will become grimly apparent when Theresa's Great Brexit Betrayal causes everything to implode.

Theresa's Canada style FTA post transition period that ends free movement is actually what most of the country wants
    Agree that 'leader ratings' are a much better predictor - but are they actually 'ratings of the leader' or a proxy for 'what I think about them and their party'. People don't think about politics much, and its much easier to assess an individual than an organisation.

So, for example, while Mr Corbyn may be having a torrid time over anti-semitism, as long as Labour is not cocking up and is still seen to be doing a reasonable job then their position might not be that badly affected.

Its always tricky separating cause from effect. In a previous life we had a heck of a job getting consumers to rank toilet soaps 'they're all the same'. But when we asked them 'which one would you put out for guests' big differences became apparent.
  • RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    edited April 2018
    RoyalBlue said:

@Anazina - it’s nice to have backing from Sir John Curtice for my earlier post.

Perhaps next time you’ll engage with my argument, rather than just making an ad hominem attack.
    Pulpstar said:

Anazina said:

Uncle Vince says Hi.
    Cable the Stable is not the answer.
    Anazina said:

Pulpstar said:

Anazina said:

Uncle Vince says Hi.
    The quiet man is getting quieter, and he's turning down the volume.
  • rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,881
    Pulpstar said:

What is the latest for these ratings ?

Corbyn certainly campaigned very well in 2017.

That's the wisdom now.

But at the time, plenty of people (and I think I might have been one of them) thought he wasn't campaigning very well at all. There were controversies about numbers and spending etc. that you'd imagine a slicker campaign could have avoided.

I still think ultimately people liked the manifesto/set of policies and that once they got a chance to hear about it they warmed to Labour.
    RoyalBlue said:

RoyalBlue said:

@Anazina - it’s nice to have backing from Sir John Curtice for my earlier post.

Perhaps next time you’ll engage with my argument, rather than just making an ad hominem attack.
    Wow! Latin!
    Pulpstar said:

Anazina said:

Pulpstar said:

Anazina said:

Uncle Vince says Hi.
    The quiet man is getting quieter, and he's turning down the volume.
    Lol!
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Xenophobic? surely some mistake as our resident Xenophobia spotter would never spend time there if that was true.......

Anazina said:

I suggest you read the article.
    The EU has accepted that Britain will not be changing its mind on Brexit and may never return to the bloc after next year’s divorce, a leading European commissioner has said, as he warned that the country’s position in the world would be diminished rather than enhanced after its departure......

The expression of certainty that the UK is leaving reflects the increasingly pragmatic nature of the European commission after months of being told by the prime minister, Theresa May, that Brexit means leaving the customs union and the single market, the cornerstones of the EU.

But it will be a setback to figures such as Tony Blair and Lord Adonis, who have recently intensified their campaign to reverse Brexit, and to campaigners within the Labour party, including the Brexit shadow secretary, Keir Starmer, who want a vote on the political exit deal in October.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/apr/09/eu-leaders-have-accepted-that-uk-will-not-cancel-brexit?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungarian_parliamentary_election,_2018 48.48% for Orban, stonking result for him, yet all I heard pre-election was about how people were going to vote "tactically" for oppo parties. Doesn't seem to have happened..
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    Well Junker doesn't seem to take it very seriously...he has previously joked at an EU event, here comes the dictator, then when Orban arrived to shake hands, repeated the "dictator" nickname with a massive smirk on his face.
    Pulpstar said:

Anazina said:

Uncle Vince says Hi.
    Who?
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Given the reference to “record shoes” this much be a TSE thread!
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517
    Off-topic:

One for the engineering geek. Below is a photo of the mandrel that SpaceX will be using to create the carbon-fibre tanks for their BFS spaceship.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BhVk3y3A0yB/

It's certainly big!
    edited April 2018

Off-topic:

One for the engineering geek. Below is a photo of the mandrel that SpaceX will be using to create the carbon-fibre tanks for their BFS spaceship.

www.instagram.com/p/BhVk3y3A0yB/

It's certainly big!

Is that a Tesla by any chance? Elon doesn't miss the opportunity for some cross promotional PR.
  • david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,401
    On topic, a few observations on the YouGov figures:

https://twitter.com/DavidHerdson/status/983331721004412929

Off-topic:

It's certainly big!

Is that a Tesla by any chance? Elon doesn't miss the opportunity for some cross promotional PR.
    Well, he wouldn't use another car, would he!

Though the style of SpaceX cars - aside from the original LotusRoadster, leaves me a little cold. They're not sexy.
    edited April 2018

Off-topic:

It's certainly big!

Though the style of SpaceX cars - aside from the original LotusRoadster, leaves me a little cold. They're not sexy.
    What's wrong with one of these?

• rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038
    Those leadership ratings may be about to take another hit:

https://twitter.com/LOS_Fisher/status/983341751569211392
    This is very shoddy reporting:

Public backs fresh referendum to have 'final say' on terms of Brexit deal

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-second-referendum-theresa-may-final-deal-eu-autumn-negotiations-a8294986.html

The public don't back a 'fresh referendum' - the oppose another 'vote' - but they do support a 'final say'......

twitter.com/LOS_Fisher/status/983341751569211392

All that is missing is....there are good people on all sides....

I'm sure Mrs Assad is charming.
  • William_HWilliam_H Posts: 346
    The fact that Corbyn was at -58 two months out from the election seems to suggest we shouldn't be paying too much attention to approval ratings when we're not real close to the election.

Off-topic:

It's certainly big!

Is that Micheal Stipe?
    edited April 2018

Well Jezza should know,

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-second-referendum-theresa-may-final-deal-eu-autumn-negotiations-a8294986.html

The public don't back a 'fresh referendum' - the oppose another 'vote' - but they do support a 'final say'......

Good gracious the Central Office Brexit Rebuttal Unit is working overtime today!

Well Jezza should know,

I think that's Baroness Tongue rather than his wife to be honest.

Off-topic:

It's certainly big!

I once saw a little railway permanent way trolley (Wickham) that had been fitted with an engine from one of those. even that puny engine rather overpowered the brakes!

And as a further aside, here is the inside a Saturn V LOX tank, with people for scale. The BFS will be a metre smaller in diameter:
    https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/519743613219175282/
    edited April 2018

Well Jezza should know,

I didn't say / think that was his wife in the photo.

Well Jezza should know,

My mistake. But yep, your original point is well made. No doubt he was trying to foster dialogue etc etc
    Anazina said:

Good gracious the Central Office Brexit Rebuttal Unit is working overtime today!
    https://twitter.com/whatukthinks/status/983268192788369408
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,958

Well Junker doesn't seem to take it very seriously...he has previously joked at an EU event, here comes the dictator, then when Orban arrived to shake hands, repeated the "dictator" nickname with a massive smirk on his face.
    That will be Jean-Claude Juncker with the massive personal popular vote behind him, will it?

Yes, a great example of how wording affects answers. I really don't see any meaningful difference between the two.

Not that it matters, other than in any blowback effect once there's no second vote / final say given - but even that is likely to be minimal, given that the 'deal' in the autumn / winter will just be one of several stages in the process.

Well Jezza should know,

He's dropped that red jacket more than his understanding for Assad.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Good afternoon, comrades.

Well Jezza should know,

Mrs Assad is by all accounts a very impressive lady. Highly educated and was very successful in her own right, investment banking I believe. Then she married Mr Assad, gave it all up and now props up the vicious murdering dictator.
    William_H said:

The fact that Corbyn was at -58 two months out from the election seems to suggest we shouldn't be paying too much attention to approval ratings when we're not real close to the election.

On the contrary: they matter hugely. Perceptions can, of course, change (though they usually don't), but apart from anything else, Corbyn's dire approval ratings had implications beyond just the next GE, including for the timing and nature of leadership challenges.
    Scott_P said:
    Stop the War response to these incidents and apportioning of blame are as predictable as a Jezza rally blaming the Tories for everything under the sun...

Well Jezza should know,

Mrs Assad is by all accounts a very impressive lady. Highly educated and was very successful in her own right, investment banking I believe. Then she married Mr Assad, gave it all up and now props up the vicious murdering dictator.
    She now probably has to listen to him moan on all day about all the stress he's under.
  • AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    @Dura_Ace Just read your thread header for the previous thread. Excellent article, very many thanks.

Good afternoon, everyone.

Well Jezza should know,

She now probably has to listen to him moan on all day about all the stress he's under.
    I wonder, have we stripped her of her British citizenship?
  • I have a confession to make.

Bashar al-Saddat any myself have similar tastes in music.

Let John Oliver explain.

https://youtu.be/3lKYPp2Kp6s
    edited April 2018
    I thought Maomentum was the movement of choice for the millionaire class? Or is it just the kids of the millionaire class?

I have a confession to make.

Let John Oliver explain.

Oh god, he doesn't like Steps and VengaBoys does he?
    Do you ever get the feeling a whole bunch of people are scared shitless by this prospect? For what it's worth, I think it's well worth a crack. What we have found in recent times is the outsider wins, the odds against longshot runs out the winner. That's why I'm not overly persuaded by historical data a la Kellner. They should go for it.
  • I have a confession to make.

Let John Oliver explain.

We both like LMFAO and Right Said Fred
    edited April 2018

Let John Oliver explain.

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear....shakes head...I suppose it could be worse, he could be into Radiohead.
    edited April 2018
    Good afternoon, Miss JGP.

Mr. Eagles, taking a sprout for a walk is clearly the act of a madman.

Also, my post-race analysis of a very interesting Bahrain Grand Prix is up here: http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/2018/04/bahrain-post-race-analysis.html

Edited extra bit: Mr. Urquhart, your post reminds me of the Chuckle Brothers. Speaking of which, if anyone missed their game of 'real life' Hitman from a couple of years back, they really should find it on Youtube. It's the best promotional video for a videogame there's perhaps ever been.
    Anazina said:

Do you ever get the feeling a whole bunch of people are scared shitless by this prospect? For what it's worth, I think it's well worth a crack. What we have found in recent times is the outsider wins, the odds against longshot runs out the winner. That's why I'm not overly persuaded by historical data a la Kellner. They should go for it.
    You can almost smell the fear that the prize they all now fully expect is about to taken away by a bunch of rich centrist dads.

Anazina said:

You can almost smell the fear that the prize they all now fully expect is about to taken away by a bunch of rich centrist dads.
    LOL!

Let John Oliver explain.

That'll keep you busy for 10 minutes then.
    Anazina said:

For every odds-against longshot that wins, there are an awful lot more that don't.

A new centrist party might make a breakthrough but it will need:

1. A capable and effective leader;
    2. Policies - what is it *for*, as well as what is it against;
    3. to decide whether it is truly centrist or is it centre-left;
    4. A sizable and early parliamentary caucus;
    5. Early electoral success in by-elections or local elections;
    6. how it handles the Lib Dems - competition or alliance;
    7. Activists - big donors and MPs don't leaflet or canvass, and it'd start with no data;
    8. Labour to collapse - En March was walking over the corpse of PS; Labour is polling four times what the French socialists did;
    9. The unions to defect: as long as they fund Labour, it will be a meaningful presence;
    10. A great slice of good luck.
    One for Hunchman:

The truth is out! Instead of dying in a plane crash, Yuri Gagarin was really encased up to his neck in concrete in Belgrade!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-43701570

Anazina said:

For every odds-against longshot that wins, there are an awful lot more that don't.

7. Activists - big donors and MPs don't leaflet or canvass, and it'd start with no data;
    8. Labour to collapse - En March was walking over the corpse of PS; Labour is polling four times what the French socialists did;
    9. The unions to defect: as long as they fund Labour, it will be a meaningful presence;
    Yes good points but I wouldn't bank on 8.

Taking off the centrist/europhile flanks of Labour and the Tories would be the aim, and could be enough.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,715

Well Jezza should know,

Married Dr Assad, surely. He’s an opthalmologist isn’t he?
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Off-topic:

It's certainly big!

I once saw a little railway permanent way trolley (Wickham) that had been fitted with an engine from one of those. even that puny engine rather overpowered the brakes!

And as a further aside, here is the inside a Saturn V LOX tank, with people for scale. The BFS will be a metre smaller in diameter:
    Hang on - is that Mike behind the wheel???
  • nielhnielh Posts: 1,307

Anazina said:

The political opportunity is on the right. Ie kick out immigrants. Housing for local people.
    edited April 2018
    Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Taking off the centrist/europhile flanks of Labour and the Tories would be the aim, and could be enough.
    I don't think it would be. The Europhile flank of Labour is much bigger than the Tory one, so the new party would inevitably lead to the centre-left just on weight of numbers.

FPTP only leaves space for two big parties, so the new one would have to displace one of the existing ones if it's going to have a future. But how do you replace the Tories, when they've got the 30% of the electorate that is pro-Brexit and right-of-centre under lock and key? You can't - you have to replace Labour. But to do that you really need to target them from day 1, which means you have to be social democrat in nature.

However, the risk in doing so is that you end up with something like a 41-24-20-7 split, leaving the Tories with a massive majority on a relatively small share.
  • Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,784
    edited April 2018

Anazina said:

Question: did the existence of the SDP assist or hinder Labour's own journey back to the centre in the 80s?

Frankly, this centrist Dad just wants a social democratic party of power to vote for. I don't care what name that party has or how it comes about. A new party can succeed or fail, it just needs to be pivotal in the process of making that happen.

What the centre needs is a vision and tbh Prospect isn't going to get any such vision across - it seems to be full of people and policy papers saying 'we need a vision'. A new party might just crystallize some actual ideas. That is one reason why I don't intend to follow SO's call to arms.

The one thing Mr Herdson misses out re the new party is timing - part of LREMs success was to still be in honeymoon at election time, something the SDP (and Theresa May) flunked.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,741

If, as we're all agreed, Jezza is the worst political leader in the history of everything, then Theresa's ratings really are supremely shit.

No he isn't.

The Marquis of Granby and the Viscount Goderich were both considerably worse than Jezza.

Not to be confined to one party, convincing cases could be made for Arthur Henderson, Lord Rosebery and Herbert Asquith as well.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,741

https://twitter.com/LOS_Fisher/status/983341751569211392

Please, please tell me that is a fake.
  • DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Anazina said:

Anazina said:

I don't think it would be. The Europhile flank of Labour is much bigger than the Tory one, so the new party would inevitably lead to the centre-left just on weight of numbers.

FPTP only leaves space for two big parties, so the new one would have to displace one of the existing ones if it's going to have a future. But how do you replace the Tories, when they've got the 30% of the electorate that is pro-Brexit and right-of-centre under lock and key? You can't - you have to replace Labour. But to do that you really need to target them from day 1, which means you have to be social democrat in nature.

However, the risk in doing so is that you end up with something like a 41-24-20-7 split, leaving the Tories with a massive majority on a relatively small share.
    The Conservatives' europhile flank should not be underestimated. Even if we ignore that historically every move towards EU-integration was made by the blue team, surely the Prime Minister and most of the Cabinet were Remainers?
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,766

Also, my post-race analysis of a very interesting Bahrain Grand Prix is up here: http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/2018/04/bahrain-post-race-analysis.html

Edited extra bit: Mr. Urquhart, your post reminds me of the Chuckle Brothers. Speaking of which, if anyone missed their game of 'real life' Hitman from a couple of years back, they really should find it on Youtube. It's the best promotional video for a videogame there's perhaps ever been.

Hitman (2016) was a fabulous game. I must have played through the Paris and Sapienza levels a dozen times each.
    King John was worse. It is hard to find anyone quite so bad. Collectively, the Angeli dynasty might be a good comparison.

Anazina said:

Anazina said:

The Conservatives' europhile flank should not be underestimated. Even if we ignore that historically every move towards EU-integration was made by the blue team, surely the Prime Minister and most of the Cabinet were Remainers?
    Yes, but not very enthusuastic ones. It's not an issue of sufficient importance for them to be worth jumping ship over. That's not to say that no MP would go - Soubry has made noises along those lines, IIRC - but the numbers would be tiny.
    rcs1000 said:

Hitman (2016) was a fabulous game. I must have played through the Paris and Sapienza levels a dozen times each.
    I believe a season two is coming shortly.

Off-topic:

It's certainly big!

Although now not dissimiliar to Saturn V/SLS thrust, the true beauty of the BFS 'system' is the in-orbit fuelling and reusability.
    Mr. 1000, I saw much good coverage, but being an old-fashioned fellow the weird approach to releasing the game put me off.

Also, surprised to hear (from Mr. Urquhart) there is a second season as I gathered the studio behind it had gone bust/been taken over.
    ydoethur said:

No he isn't.

The Marquis of Granby and the Viscount Goderich were both considerably worse than Jezza.

Not to be confined to one party, convincing cases could be made for Arthur Henderson, Lord Rosebery and Herbert Asquith as well.
    You're being unfair on Henderson, apart from his unwillingness to stand down after losing his seat. Also, his first two terms as leader were critical in establishing Labour as a permanent, meaningful parliamentary force and in taking Labour into government at a time when to have stood back on pacifist grounds - as MacDonald did - could have destroyed the movement.

Lansbury was worse.
  • Chuka Umunna has accepted Amber Rudd's invitation to join her task force on knife crime.

Good move by Amber and maybe Chuka is signalling a move away from Corbyn

A new centre party anyone
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,958

Yes, but not very enthusuastic ones. It's not an issue of sufficient importance for them to be worth jumping ship over. That's not to say that no MP would go - Soubry has made noises along those lines, IIRC - but the numbers would be tiny.

Especially as the expectation would be that their re-election prospects would get a fair bit better if the left/soft-left/LibDems were fighting amongst themselves. The challenge for the new party would be to burst through that and prove some attraction to the centre-right too. A neat trick. It can be done. But I can't see Tony Blair doing it again.....

King John was worse. It is hard to find anyone quite so bad. Collectively, the Angeli dynasty might be a good comparison.

I gather that historians are not united on the point
    Pulpstar said:

Off-topic:

It's certainly big!

Although now not dissimiliar to Saturn V/SLS thrust, the true beauty of the BFS 'system' is the in-orbit fuelling and reusability.
    Yep. von Braun had plans for Saturn V reuse as well, and Boeing considered a version with wings that would fly back! But the US were not interested - the mission had been accomplished.

AIUI (and IANAE) the BFS' Achilles heel is that it is fairly inefficient when it comes to deep space travel: it is a system mainly designed to get things efficiently off Earth and into LEO. To be good in deep space, you need to use liquid hydrogen/oxygen - as the SLS and (as recently announced) the New Glenn second stage.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,748
    A reasonably sane NI Unionist (i.e. the kind they don't vote for any more) speaks.

https://twitter.com/agentathcliath/status/983334639124254720
    King Cole, there are some revisionists who think that John being talented at extortion makes up for him being an extortionist. And torturing prisoners (including women/children). And being a bit rapey. And incompetent at war, losing all the continental possessions he inherited. And so hated by his own side they invited the French to invade. And treacherous against his brother, and father (both royal predecessors). And committing nepocide.

A reasonably sane NI Unionist (i.e. the kind they don't vote for any more) speaks.

https://twitter.com/agentathcliath/status/983334639124254720

First the Rubicon, then the Foyle.
    edited April 2018

King Cole, there are some revisionists who think that John being talented at extortion makes up for him being an extortionist. And torturing prisoners (including women/children). And being a bit rapey. And incompetent at war, losing all the continental possessions he inherited. And so hated by his own side they invited the French to invade. And treacherous against his brother, and father (both royal predecessors). And committing nepocide.

Well, while I take Wikipedia with a large pinch of salt..........
  • Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,793
    With respect to the centre party - for any party, surely you start with the vision and then see if you need a new party to carry it out?

The cry for an alternative "not the others" party is negative rather than positive and I still hold to my views from yesterday - here
This discussion has been closed.