Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Flotsam and jetsam. Britain’s quiet coastal disaster

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited April 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Flotsam and jetsam. Britain’s quiet coastal disaster

They say that if the outer 50 kilometres of Australia were to fall into the sea, the population of that island continent would drop by 85%. Britain doesn’t have the large hinterland that Australia possesses, but if Britain were to be attacked by a giant cookie cutter from space, it’s not at all clear that some of the places crimped off would get any less attention than before.

Read the full story here

Comments

• prh47bridgeprh47bridge Posts: 441
    Numero uno
    Looks around. Wonders where everyone is.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,695
    Very interesting and thought-provoking piece Alistair.

I have no idea what the answer is but let's hope a way forward can be found to improve our coastal towns and the lives of people who live there.

Thank you for making me think.
  • Fat_SteveFat_Steve Posts: 361
    Interesting

- Isn't some of depressing awfulness of some seaside places due to the cheap accommodation in the 1980s and 1990s encouraging various types of er - disadvantaged people - drug users and so on - to make their homes there?

- Decline is reversible. If Margate - Margate ?! can become a destination, then anywhere can.
    If I had 50 million quid, I would buy up Weymouth, and open boutique hotels and fine restaurants.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,574

Looks around. Wonders where everyone is.

Inland ?
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited April 2018
    Blackpool and Skegness both feature in the top three areas of the UK for most antidepressants prescribed (twice the national average in Blackpool’s case). Seven of the top ten areas for heroin and morphine deaths are on the coast, including Blackpool, Thanet, Hastings and Bournemouth. Jaywick, just outside Clacton, has twice been named England’s most deprived area. Hastings and Blackpool both feature in the top five for suicide rates. Unlike most of the country, life expectancy is stalling or even falling.

How much of this is the "local population" and how much of it is people with existing problems being encouraged by service providers to relocate there as a kind of cheap dumping ground e.g. I believe Weston Super Mare is where a lot of problematic individuals from Bristol have been encouraged to go.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,165
    edited April 2018
    That said, towns do not have an inevitable right to survive. Three hundred years ago, few of these towns existed at all. With their purpose apparently past, perhaps Britain should be looking to dismantle them again in an orderly manner rather than just leaving them, and their inhabitants, to rot.

At a time when housing is the number one issue, I doubt this will happen. In fact, I think the pressure to export problem people to these places is only going to grow.

Interesting piece, nonetheless.
    edited April 2018
    Perhaps a bit flippant but maybe climate change is the answer to improving our coastal towns?

Perhaps in 50 years Great Yarmouth will have the same climate as Magaluf and Blackpool will become Ibiza?

Meanwhile those Mediterranean reports become like north African deserts...
  • nielhnielh Posts: 1,307
    In the case of the south east, there has been a major resurgence in seaside towns. This is based on people relocating from London. Some towns have benefitted more than others. Margate, Deal, Folkestone, Hastings, Ramsgate, Eastbourne have certainly benefitted, as have their more affluent rural hinterlands. All of these places are a 1-2 hour train journey to London.

The incomers are not just retired people, although this is a major factor. It is younger people working part time in London and at home for the rest of the week. They are also bringing their kids here. It is having a major gentrifying effect as tenants in newly desirable areas move out as the landlords flog the properties they live in to starry eyed newcomers, and the house prices go up accordingly.

Of course, the underlying problems social problems remain, which is poor employment, troubled families etc. All this becomes apparent after a few months. Then you start to wonder if you really want to send your kid to the local school, with the mums outside the gate looking like they are all skag addicts. Hmm.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,787
    tlg86 said:

That said, towns do not have an inevitable right to survive. Three hundred years ago, few of these towns existed at all. With their purpose apparently past, perhaps Britain should be looking to dismantle them again in an orderly manner rather than just leaving them, and their inhabitants, to rot.

At a time when housing is the number one issue, I doubt this will happen. In fact, I think the pressure to export problem people to these places is only going to grow.

We need more businesses to follow Morgan Stanley’s lead and create jobs in coastal locations. (At least in the ones we decide need maintaining.)
    GIN1138 said:

Perhaps a bit flippant but maybe climate change is the answer to improving our coastal towns?

Perhaps in 50 years Great Yarmouth will have the same climate as Magaluf and Blackpool will become Ibiza?

I thought you were going to say that rising sea levels will send these towns the same way as Dunwich!
    tlg86 said:

GIN1138 said:

I thought you were going to say that rising sea levels will send these towns the same way as Dunwich!
    Well I suppose that's another, less positive outcome...
  • City 1 - Liverpool 0 2 minutes
    GIN1138 said:

tlg86 said:

GIN1138 said:

What we need to work out is, which places in from the coast are likely to be the best seaside resorts when the sea level has risen and we have a Mediterranean Climate.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,836
    edited April 2018

Blackpool and Skegness both feature in the top three areas of the UK for most antidepressants prescribed (twice the national average in Blackpool’s case). Seven of the top ten areas for heroin and morphine deaths are on the coast, including Blackpool, Thanet, Hastings and Bournemouth. Jaywick, just outside Clacton, has twice been named England’s most deprived area. Hastings and Blackpool both feature in the top five for suicide rates. Unlike most of the country, life expectancy is stalling or even falling.

How much of this is the "local population" and how much of it is people with existing problems being encouraged by service providers to relocate there as a kind of cheap dumping ground e.g. I believe Weston Super Mare is where a lot of problematic individuals from Bristol have been encouraged to go.

Dixiedean:
    Indeed it is a combination of the 2. Availability of cheap B and B accommodation (might as well be a smackhead by the sea), and a lack of any realistic employment opportunities for the well-qualiffied, motivated locals leading to a brain drain.
    It is interesting to compare and contrast with ex-mining regions. Those within relatively easy reach of cities have benefitted from plentiful cheaper housing and are doing well. Those that aren't are locked in a similar death spiral of paucity of opportunities leading to a drain of population and talent.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,743
    Evening all :)

Have to say places like Portsmouth and Southampton seem to do well - the latter has found a niche as a major cruise terminal which provides considerable local employment for much of the year.

Elsewhere, it's interesting to see St Ives leading the way in opposing "second home" purchases of any new housing. The extent to which this will aid the huge problems local people have in obtaining accommodation they can afford remains to be seen but it's as much a signal that the indigenous population fears the soul of the town being eaten away.

Go down to St Ives at New Year and the place is full and buzzing but by January 5th it's a ghost town and Downlong is almost deserted day and night as so many of the properties are holiday lets.

City 1 - Liverpool 0 2 minutes

Wonder how TSE reacted located in the City end....
  • AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    Excellent article Alastair, many thanks.

Along the south coast, at least, accommodation isn't cheap and there are two additional problems. First, if you're rootless and homeless, it makes sense to move to where the weather is a bit warmer, and then you run into the problem that local councils will only help you to get back 'home' & not help you into accommodation once you're there. Second, the constant drain on local council resources made by having to fund OAP tourists' bus travel.

Even if none of the major parties is brave enough to tackle OAPs perks outright, they surely could take a step in the right direction by reducing the bus pass to local council area only.

Good evening, everybody. (I hope this is the real new thread.)
  • AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Strong start for the senior Manchester club. Could be a barnstormer this, if they keep it up.

Anyway, wrt the article, depresisng stuff, but somewhat familiar. There are a number of towns or small villages in Scotland like that, once seaside vacation spots, now they die slowly.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,836
    edited April 2018
    AnneJGP said:

Excellent article Alastair, many thanks.

Along the south coast, at least, accommodation isn't cheap and there are two additional problems. First, if you're rootless and homeless, it makes sense to move to where the weather is a bit warmer, and then you run into the problem that local councils will only help you to get back 'home' & not help you into accommodation once you're there. Second, the constant drain on local council resources made by having to fund OAP tourists' bus travel.

Even if none of the major parties is brave enough to tackle OAPs perks outright, they surely could take a step in the right direction by reducing the bus pass to local council area only.

Good evening, everybody. (I hope this is the real new thread.)

Alternatively, they could adopt what seems to be my Council's plan and simply not have any buses.
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,723
    BBC Investigation finds the U.K. was the sole supplier to Syria of 3 important ingredients in the product of Sarin, a chemical weapon. This is why Jeremy Corbyn is right to focus on banning arms sales to corrupt regimes.
    edited April 2018

BBC Investigation finds the U.K. was the sole supplier to Syria of 3 important ingredients in the product of Sarin, a chemical weapon. This is why Jeremy Corbyn is right to focus on banning arms sales to corrupt regimes.

I see you have been on skwawkbox again....as that BBC report is from 4 years ago.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517
    A brilliant article. Thanks, Alastair. I wish I could say my somewhat close knowledge of much of our coast gave me any insight into the problems and their solutions, but it does not.

I might add other inland areas face worse problems; for instance some Welsh ex-mining areas, which do not even have the advantage of good scenery and sea views.

Yet as you point out, the decline can be reversed. Some places are doing good things, and there must be studies somewhere out there that outline what the successful ones are doing compared to the unsuccessful ones.
    edited April 2018
    On BrightonBlackpool: there was a TV segment in the last week or so (I cannot remember where) about the local council's policy of buying up old hotels and turning it into cheap council-owned housing.

Which seems like a good idea on a number of levels.

edit: It was Blackpool, not Brighton. I was only a few hundred miles out ...

Further edit: It isn't the TV segment, but here's an article:
    https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/news/26m-project-is-turning-derelict-blackpool-hotels-into-new-homes-1-9040103

Linky, please.
    Judiciary committee chairman Chuck Grassley, a Republican, says: "In fact, President Obama's campaign developed an app utilising the same Facebook feature as Cambridge Analytica to capture the information of not just the app's users, but also millions of their friends."

http://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-us-canada-43706880
  • dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,279
    A good article, but the decline has been steady since the 1980s, structural change consequence of package holidays and later budget airways. Labour banged on about mining areas, but their interest in holiday resorts was minimal unless they were marginal seats.

Hastings was used to house London problem families over 30 years ago, burdened by poor road and rail links. It was one of the SE's unemployment blackspots, almost on a par with the Isle of Sheppey and the Medway Towns.
    edited April 2018

Linky, please.
    This is where he got it.

https://skwawkbox.org/2018/04/09/uk-firms-sold-nerve-agent-components-to-syria/

But weirdly when you click on the link listed on that Fake News site you don't get the report they claim (and it is talking about events from 4 years ago).
    Good to see the Duke of Cambridge at the football tonight.

I see you have been on skwawkbox again....as that BBC report is from 4 years ago.
    I see you have been reporting Order Order Fake News all month

Linky, please.
    This is where he got it.

But weirdly when you click on the link listed on that Fake News site you don't get the report they claim (and it is talking about events from 4 years ago).
    Here's the story:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-28212724

The chemicals mentioned were sold back in the 1980s, when it was all too easy for dodgy countries to buy them - there simply wasn't much in the way of export controls.
    edited April 2018

I see you have been reporting Order Order Fake News all month
    Unlike yourself, I link to sites across the political spectrum. Furthermore, Order Order has been the source used by all the major news outlets for a load of recent high profile stories.

But you keep reading the mentalist Corbyn sites, and I will keep pointing out when it is bullshit they are peddling.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,771
    I don't think it would require the sea to come in 50km in Australia. The cities of Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide , Cairns and Darwin are all on the coast. Only Canberra (1.8% of Australia's population) is meaningfully inland.

Linky, please.
    This is where he got it.

I got it from here actually

https://twitter.com/ToryFibs/status/983781300069982210
  • logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,669
    tlg86 said:

GIN1138 said:

tlg86 said:

GIN1138 said:

What we need to work out is, which places in from the coast are likely to be the best seaside resorts when the sea level has risen and we have a Mediterranean Climate.
    Not if the gulf stream weakens too much.
    edited April 2018

Linky, please.
    This is where he got it.

twitter.com/ToryFibs/status/983781300069982210
    Oh god, isn't that "Dr" Eoin Clarke new twitter account. Another well known bullshit artist that has more corrections than facts.

How do you always find links from known liars and nutters.
    Zuckerberg says they dealt with foreign attacks on the French and German elections better than they did in the past...
  • JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    tlg86 said:

Conflict of interest ... Home side or the capital side from his principality ?
    edited April 2018
    rcs1000 said:

I don't think it would require the sea to come in 50km in Australia. The cities of Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide , Cairns and Darwin are all on the coast. Only Canberra (1.8% of Australia's population) is meaningfully inland.

There's a very interesting development plan to turn Sydney into a metropolis of three cities moving inland.

https://www.greater.sydney/three-cities

If you say the name Skwawkbox which is not where i found it. It makes the BBC findings untrue does it?

FU FU
    edited April 2018

If you say the name Skwawkbox which is not where i found it. It makes the BBC findings untrue does it?

FU FU
    The link they provides does not support the claim and furthermore it was 4 years ago. Since then this tiny country totally unknown for producing chemical weapons has decided to back Syria...You know those ones that try to knock off former spies with nerve agents.

It is a misleading claim and also now a totally mute point. Just like Jezza's, let all talk about a cease-fire.

Linky, please.
    This is where he got it.

Oh god, isn't that "Dr" Eoin Clarke new twitter account. Another well known bullshit artist that has more corrections than facts.

Wheras you think Order Order has no political Agenda.

Linky, please.
    This is where he got it.

Where is the lie in the BBC report?
    edited April 2018

Linky, please.
    This is where he got it.

Everybody knows it has a political agenda, as does the Guardian, the Telegraph etc.

Where as, Dr Eoin Clarke has made claim after claim after claim where people have had to start legal action against him and he has had to make massive apologies for printing absolute lies. He is another well known bullshit artist.

There are good honest people on the left, who only trade in facts, why not stick to them.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,772
    As I have pointed out before Scotland has the worst record for drug deaths in Europe and Dundee has the worst record in Scotland. And we are on the coast. Maybe Alastair is on to something.

The modern economy requires critical mass above everything else. This is why London does so well at so many things. Coastal towns are too often too small and too remote. It’s odd. The internet should make distance less of an issue but it doesn’t. Humans are funny beasts. We feed off each other.
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    DavidL said:

As I have pointed out before Scotland has the worst record for drug deaths in Europe and Dundee has the worst record in Scotland. And we are on the coast. Maybe Alastair is on to something.

The modern economy requires critical mass above everything else. This is why London does so well at so many things. Coastal towns are too often too small and too remote. It’s odd. The internet should make distance less of an issue but it doesn’t. Humans are funny beasts. We feed off each other.

I'm in the far-west of Cornwall at the moment and it seems to be prosperous.

FU FU
    Skwarkbox are at best disingenuous: they mention the BBCs findings were in 2014, but not that the sales were two decades earlier.

Its also wrong (if I was less charitable I would say 'lying'): "Because in 2014, the UK was revealed to be selling the components used in the manufacture of Sarin – to the Syrians:"

That is wrong. It had been revealed that the UK had sold the components. 'Selling' makes it seem as though the sales were ongoing, instead of being historic.

FU FU
    The link they provides does not support the claim and furthermore it was 4 years ago. Since then this tiny country totally unknown for producing chemical weapons has decided to back Syria...You know those ones that try to knock off former spies with nerve agents.

It is a misleading claim and also now a totally mute point. Just like Jezza's, let all talk about a cease-fire.
    What you talking about the BBC report says the UK was the only country that supplied 3 key ingredients of Sarin doesnt it

Linky, please.
    This is where he got it.

Everybody knows it has a political agenda, as does the Guardian, the Telegraph etc.

Where as, Dr Eoin Clarke has made claim after claim after claim where people have had to start legal action against him and he has had to make massive apologies for printing absolute lies. He is another well known bullshit artist.

There are good honest people on the left, who only trade in facts, why not stick to them.
    Order Order doesnt make false claims?

Seriously
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,019
    Sun, sea and sex on a British seaside holiday?

Sea, yes. Not sure about the other two.

FU FU

What you talking about the BBC report says the UK was the only country that supplied 3 key ingredients of Sarin doesnt it
    See JosiasJessop post below. You have been suckered in by a load of fake news.
    JackW said:

tlg86 said:

Conflict of interest ... Home side or the capital side from his principality ?
    Home side. He was sat next to and talking with John Carew.
    edited April 2018

Linky, please.
    This is where he got it.

Order Order doesnt make false claims?

Seriously
    How many times have they been to court / had legal action against them? Eion Clarke on the other hand over the course of about 3 years had his lawyer on speed dial.
  • Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,232
    Blackpool. Went there once. Terrible place. People tripping out of their heads at one in the afternoon. And that's before you get to black-pudding burgers and Bernard Manning.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,397
    Jesus, Liverpool lucky not to be slaughtered in that first half.
    kle4 said:

Jesus, Liverpool lucky not to be slaughtered in that first half.

Wonder how TSE is getting on acting as a Man City fan?
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,397
    What an odd story this is:

John Woodcock under pressure from Labour members over Jeremy Corbyn criticism

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/labour-party/news/94269/john-woodcock-under-pressure-labour-members-over

This is a man who outright stated he could not countenance Corbyn as PM, even as he went into a GE campaign. Who did they think they were getting?
  • MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    DavidL said:

"We feed off each other".

There be cannibals up North !

Telford Council to commission child sexual abuse inquiry

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-shropshire-43701700

Skwarkbox are at best disingenuous: they mention the BBCs findings were in 2014, but not that the sales were two decades earlier.

Even further back:

"Hague revealed that the exports included several hundred tonnes of the chemical dimethyl phosphite (DMP) in 1983 and a further export of several hundred tonnes in 1985; several hundred tonnes of trimethyl phosphite (TMP) in 1986; and a quantity of hydrogen fluoride (HF) in 1986 through a third country."
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/apr/08/could-britain-have-sold-sarin-chemicals-assad-syria

• Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    AndyJS said:

DavidL said:

I'm in the far-west of Cornwall at the moment and it seems to be prosperous.
    I can promise you it isn't.

"Cornwall is one of the poorest areas in the United Kingdom with a GVA of 70.9% of the national average in 2015." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Cornwall

But there's some nice Potemkin villages for the tourists.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,622
    Scott_P said:
    I enjoy collecting future hypocrisies.

"The Presidents sex life is strictly off limits. What kind of Puritan weirdo are you?"
    "Obviously the functioning of the FISA courts is of public interest and should be investigated"
    "Investigations into Presidents should be strictly narrowed to the original matter"
    "States have no rights to contest Federal Immigration policy"
    "The Presidents past business dealings are completely irrelevant"

etc etc.

A fun point that a cousin in the US (Democrat since Aldi Stevenson) raised - since the FBI found that those wacky Russians were using Facebook to push support for Black Lives Matter, did they take the next, logical (in a J Edgar Hoover logical) step? Apply for some warrants to tap phones/email relating to Black Lives Matter.....
    edited April 2018
    Andrew said:

Even further back:

"Hague revealed that the exports included several hundred tonnes of the chemical dimethyl phosphite (DMP) in 1983 and a further export of several hundred tonnes in 1985; several hundred tonnes of trimethyl phosphite (TMP) in 1986; and a quantity of hydrogen fluoride (HF) in 1986 through a third country."
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/apr/08/could-britain-have-sold-sarin-chemicals-assad-syria

Also rather pertinent....

"All these chemicals have legitimate uses, for example in the manufacture of plastics and pharmaceuticals."

I am glad I don't do twitter, countering the Fake News BS put out by the likes of Eoin Clarke must be super tiring....and hence why they get away with so much of it.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603

FU FU

Its also wrong (if I was less charitable I would say 'lying'): "Because in 2014, the UK was revealed to be selling the components used in the manufacture of Sarin – to the Syrians:"

That is wrong. It had been revealed that the UK had sold the components. 'Selling' makes it seem as though the sales were ongoing, instead of being historic.
    Or that a law was passed to stop the sale of said chemicals to Syria in the mid 80s.

twitter.com/zackwhittaker/status/983791497660203009

All that "Zuck for Pres" groundwork they have been doing isn't going to be required is it.
  • TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    kle4 said:

What an odd story this is:

John Woodcock under pressure from Labour members over Jeremy Corbyn criticism

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/labour-party/news/94269/john-woodcock-under-pressure-labour-members-over

This is a man who outright stated he could not countenance Corbyn as PM, even as he went into a GE campaign. Who did they think they were getting?

You seem to be under the impression they enthusiastically backed him for the recent general election. In some places there was no way to vote for a Corbyn led Labour party without voting for a very vocal critic of Corbyn. I imagine they want to vote for Labour as well as voting for someone who is not negative about Labour.

There was some conflict in the CLP before the election pretty much a continuation of that.

As to the other little argument Order order and skwakbox are both biased and both as legitimate as each other. I've read both but I always like to check out different angles on what they are saying. Although that goes for almost all news sources anyway.
  • MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,921
    edited April 2018
    Currently, the EU are trying to pass barmy legislation ('anti terror', apparently - though what printed books from 1767 have to do with terror funding, no-one seems to be able to say) that could cripple the entire antiques industry.

Your move.
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Scott_P said:

"The Presidents sex life is strictly off limits. What kind of Puritan weirdo are you?"
    "Obviously the functioning of the FISA courts is of public interest and should be investigated"
    "Investigations into Presidents should be strictly narrowed to the original matter"

etc etc.

A fun point that a cousin in the US (Democrat since Aldi Stevenson) raised - since the FBI found that those wacky Russians were using Facebook to push support for Black Lives Matter, did they take the next, logical (in a J Edgar Hoover logical) step? Apply for some warrants to tap phones/email relating to Black Lives Matter.....
    Was Aldi Stevenson's young son known as Lidl Stevenson?

I have been surprised by the complete absence of any attempt by or on behalf of Facebook to turn the attacks on it into a First Amendment issue; it is fairly easy to imagine a dystopia where the government strikes down anything on the web which it doesn't like on the grounds that it must be the work of a Russian netbot.
    Mortimer said:

Currently, the EU are trying to pass barmy legislation that could cripple the entire antiques industry.

Your move.
    That's very out of character for the EU.
    Shocking decision from the linesman on the Sane goal. But City need a goal in the first 10 minutes.
    Hmmm.....really...

He notes that artificial intelligence can already detect most Islamist extremist content, but other offensive posts are only reacted to after a user has complained to the company.

"Hate speech, I am optimistic, that over a five- to 10-year period we will have AI [artificial intelligence] tools that can get into some of the linguistic nuances of different types of content to be more accurate in flagging things for our systems.

"But today we're just not there on that.

Mortimer said:

Currently, the EU are trying to pass barmy legislation ('anti terror', apparently - though what printed books from 1767 have to do with terror funding, no-one seems to be able to say) that could cripple the entire antiques industry.

Your move.
    Have you read Robespierre works? You could have peasants running round cutting their feudal Lords throats all over the place if you don't burn them NOW!!!!!
    I see there was some discussion on the previous thread about GDPR. I didn't comment at the time - too busy getting ready for GDPR! But, having read GDPR, read the ICO guidance and taken some VERY expensive legal advice from a specialist in this area of law, I am amused by the amount of misinformation out there. For example, I have been contacted by 37 organisations wanting to get my consent so that they can continue to process my data after GDPR comes in. Not one of those organisations actually needed my consent. For example, most of them wanted me to consent to receiving direct marketing. Recital 47 of GDPR explicitly states that direct marketing is covered by "legitimate interest" and therefore doesn't need consent.

One of the organisations that contacted me is actually in a contractual relationship with me and wanted my consent to continue processing my data in relation to that contract. Again, entirely unnecessary.

Consent is the weakest reason for processing data. It places tighter limits on what you can do with the data, requires greater record keeping (to show when and how the subject consented) and gives the subject most rights. The general advice is that you should only use this reason if none of the others is available. And yet a lot of people are behaving as if consent is needed for everything. It isn't. Hence my comment to DavidL on the last thread. I'm pretty sure that the processing he is talking about (solicitors and barristers) is covered under one of the other justifications for processing and therefore consent is not required.
    DavidL said:

Shocking decision from the linesman on the Sane goal. But City need a goal in the first 10 minutes.

BT are having an absolute shocker. Chris Foy is doing his best to confuse the situation to imply that it was a difficult decision.
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 24,967
    Thanks for the article AM.

It should be remembered that Blackpool has long diversified out of depending on 'sun, sea and sand' with such things as the illuminations and pleasure beach.

And as others have pointed out the 'gentrification' of seaside towns such as Padstow does not necessarily help the local people.

As both holiday times and spending power was much less in previous generations and centuries I wonder if the likes of Blackpool were ever really affluent - perhaps they looked better because they were much closer to their construction than they are now. In much the same way that so many 1930s housing developments now look so much more run down than they did only twenty years ago.
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Does nobody understand the offside rule?

The TV keep showing the replays for the offside 'goal' when it's one of the clearest offside you'll ever get. The goalkeeper and 9 other players were a long gap behind the goalscorer. It shouldn't be news that you need 2 defenders for it not to be offside.
  • City out surely
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072

The TV keep showing the replays for the offside 'goal' when it's one of the clearest offside you'll ever get. The goalkeeper and 9 other players were a long gap behind the goalscorer. It shouldn't be news that you need 2 defenders for it not to be offside.

The ball was played by Milner and therefore not offside...

You clearly don't. The ball came off Milner.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603

You. Apparently.
    Ishmael_Z said:

Scott_P said:

etc etc.

Was Aldi Stevenson's young son known as Lidl Stevenson?

I have been surprised by the complete absence of any attempt by or on behalf of Facebook to turn the attacks on it into a First Amendment issue; it is fairly easy to imagine a dystopia where the government strikes down anything on the web which it doesn't like on the grounds that it must be the work of a Russian netbot.
    Ha - read his stuff though. It will make you weep at the politicians we have now. Imagine a man with such integrity that when he spoke at the UN, the Russians just shut up and sat down. Suggesting that he was lying would have made them look like fools.....

The thing you are missing is the shift from the concept of universality of rights to the concept of rights for groups. Hence the banging on about removing First Amendment protection from corporations etc etc.

The vision certain people have of the future is exactly what you describe - Proper People Decieding what is Free Speech and What is Hate Speech.

I always wanted to see a film made about a certain politician who used such hateful speech that wherever he went there were riots. Many died. He even published a book on knife fighting based on his killing several people in such riots. Five points for who is was....
    On topic, I must say I am more optimistic than the author. I am a huge fan of the English seaside, right down to the sticks of rock.

At the end of the day, being beside the sea is a nice place to be. I have a soft spot for Portsmouth, Bournemouth and even Plymouth, which I prefer to Exeter, and visit not infrequently. My wife and I take our Winter breaks in North Devon, and we both like heading out to Barnstaple.

Sure, there are places that have their challenges - Ilfracombe, Weston, Hastings, Great Yarmouth and Barrow - but there are also those that are the next Whitby, Dartmouth,Scarborough, Whitstable or St Ives. Even Eastbourne has started to turn a corner recently, and I think the Isle of Wight is a hidden gem. Ventnor and Shanklin are amongst my favourite places, and almost (rather bizarrely given their proximity to London) totally off the map.

I think the solution is a bit of regeneration money, better transport connections, a few foodie choices, some tax breaks, and a decent marketing and tourism drive. Also, in all honesty, a few entrepreneurs willing to invest and take a punt too: you need some clever thinking to carry over the Winter months where the seaside can still be charming, but quiet.

What makes my wife and I choose a minibreak by the sea is a good quality B&B or hotel (not a 70s boarding house) with some good atmosphere pubs or fresh seafood restaurants, a place that frankly doesn’t look grotty, and a few things to see in the local area.

It really is as simple as that.

Err, no. You can’t be offside from a pass from a Liverpool player. And that’s what happened.

Probably doesn’t matter now though.
    Ohhh...

Roma 2-0 Barcelona 3-4 agg
  • tlg86 said:

You clearly don't. The ball came off Milner.
    It was a goal - VAR needed
    ' Seven of the top ten areas for heroin and morphine deaths are on the coast, including Blackpool, Thanet, Hastings and Bournemouth. Jaywick, just outside Clacton, has twice been named England’s most deprived area. Hastings and Blackpool both feature in the top five for suicide rates. '

It might be significant that the failing seaside towns are concentrated in SE England plus Blackpool.

Those in Yorkshire and the North-East seem to be doing better.

Hmmm.....really...

He notes that artificial intelligence can already detect most Islamist extremist content, but other offensive posts are only reacted to after a user has complained to the company.

"Hate speech, I am optimistic, that over a five- to 10-year period we will have AI [artificial intelligence] tools that can get into some of the linguistic nuances of different types of content to be more accurate in flagging things for our systems.

Oh what a lovely future. Samaritan will look after you.

http://personofinterest.wikia.com/wiki/Samaritan

A brilliant article. Thanks, Alastair. I wish I could say my somewhat close knowledge of much of our coast gave me any insight into the problems and their solutions, but it does not.

I might add other inland areas face worse problems; for instance some Welsh ex-mining areas, which do not even have the advantage of good scenery and sea views.

Yet as you point out, the decline can be reversed. Some places are doing good things, and there must be studies somewhere out there that outline what the successful ones are doing compared to the unsuccessful ones.

I agree. I think ex-mining towns are a much bigger challenge.
    edited April 2018

Hmmm.....really...

It is really worrying that they genuinely do believe this, ignorant of history.
    Barca are rattled.

' Seven of the top ten areas for heroin and morphine deaths are on the coast, including Blackpool, Thanet, Hastings and Bournemouth. Jaywick, just outside Clacton, has twice been named England’s most deprived area. Hastings and Blackpool both feature in the top five for suicide rates. '

It might be significant that the failing seaside towns are concentrated in SE England plus Blackpool.

Those in Yorkshire and the North-East seem to be doing better.

I know a couple of people who are living in the nicer parts of Bournemouth and working in London. They commute part of the week and work from home a couple of days.

The problem with making the UK less London centric is that people are much less inclined to be mobile. While there are some jobs in Bournemouth, when you want to move jobs every 5 years or so (pretty standard in modern white collar work)......
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

I didn't realise the ball came off Milner.

Hmmm.....really...

It is really worrying that they genuinely do believe this, ignorant of history.
    Do you remember when some MPs tried to claim that sending them copies of 1984, with a note saying "This is a warning, not and instruction manual" or some such, was threatening behaviour?

I didn't realise the ball came off Milner.
    Fair enough. McManaman even said that it came off Milner and still didn't change his mind!

I agree. I think ex-mining towns are a much bigger challenge.
    Ex-mining towns vary.

Those in Yorkshire, Lancashire and the Midlands are centrally located and are on communication routes and so have been able to attract new investment and/or become bases for commuting.

The more isolated coalfields in South Wales, Scotland and the North-East have greater difficulties.
This discussion has been closed.