Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Theresa May now level-pegging with “Don’t know” as to who woul

Comments

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,939
    Barnesian said:

rcs1000 said:

Barnesian said:

There probably are many contributory factors. I'm basing my claim on the article by Robert F Kennedy Jnr published in Politico Magazine in 2012 which changed my views on Syria.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/02/rfk-jr-why-arabs-dont-trust-america-213601

"Assad enraged the Gulf’s Sunni monarchs by endorsing a Russian-approved “Islamic pipeline” running from Iran’s side of the gas field through Syria and to the ports of Lebanon. The Islamic pipeline would make Shiite Iran, not Sunni Qatar, the principal supplier to the European energy market and dramatically increase Tehran’s influence in the Middle East and the world. Israel also was understandably determined to derail the Islamic pipeline, which would enrich Iran and Syria and presumably strengthen their proxies, Hezbollah and Hamas.

Secret cables and reports by the U.S., Saudi and Israeli intelligence agencies indicate that the moment Assad rejected the Qatari pipeline, military and intelligence planners quickly arrived at the consensus that fomenting a Sunni uprising in Syria to overthrow the uncooperative Bashar Assad was a feasible path to achieving the shared objective of completing the Qatar/Turkey gas link"

Ummm: that article (from 2016) doesn't mention that Israel made a massive off-shore gas discovery (Leviathan). Which is a bit odd, because Israel becoming an energy exporter is a much bigger change to the regional balance of power (and Israel's role) than a putative Syrian gas pipeline.

Indeed, even without a civil war, Israel will be exporting gas to Egypt and Europe five years before the gas pipeline could be realistically constructed. (Indeed, I'd doubt whether the pipeline makes any kind of economic sense in a world where Israel is the low cost Mediterranean gas producer.)
    Assad rejected the Qatari pipeline in 2009 and the fomenting of the Sunni uprising began. The discovery of the Leviathan field came later.
    A big issue with such conspiracy theories is that it was the 'Arab Spring' and not the 'Syria Spring'. Most of the countries in the region had problems and uprisings at various scales, including Saudi itself.

Instead of it being some grand evil plan, IMO it's much more likely to have been a natural consequence of people being forced to live under dictators or bad governments, coupled with modern communication devices that the governments could not control. And when a small trigger occurred, news spread and the governments could not control events.

I'm not saying that other countries did not stick their oar in when troubles started, but I think the actual protests were fairly organic and disorganised. Modern communications were the key.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,988
    Sandpit said:

Barnesian said:

rcs1000 said:

Barnesian said:

There probably are many contributory factors. I'm basing my claim on the article by Robert F Kennedy Jnr published in Politico Magazine in 2012 which changed my views on Syria.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/02/rfk-jr-why-arabs-dont-trust-america-213601

"Assad enraged the Gulf’s Sunni monarchs by endorsing a Russian-approved “Islamic pipeline” running from Iran’s side of the gas field through Syria and to the ports of Lebanon. The Islamic pipeline would make Shiite Iran, not Sunni Qatar, the principal supplier to the European energy market and dramatically increase Tehran’s influence in the Middle East and the world. Israel also was understandably determined to derail the Islamic pipeline, which would enrich Iran and Syria and presumably strengthen their proxies, Hezbollah and Hamas.

Secret cables and reports by the U.S., Saudi and Israeli intelligence agencies indicate that the moment Assad rejected the Qatari pipeline, military and intelligence planners quickly arrived at the consensus that fomenting a Sunni uprising in Syria to overthrow the uncooperative Bashar Assad was a feasible path to achieving the shared objective of completing the Qatar/Turkey gas link"

Ummm: that article (from 2016) doesn't mention that Israel made a massive off-shore gas discovery (Leviathan). Which is a bit odd, because Israel becoming an energy exporter is a much bigger change to the regional balance of power (and Israel's role) than a putative Syrian gas pipeline.

Indeed, even without a civil war, Israel will be exporting gas to Egypt and Europe five years before the gas pipeline could be realistically constructed. (Indeed, I'd doubt whether the pipeline makes any kind of economic sense in a world where Israel is the low cost Mediterranean gas producer.)
    Assad rejected the Qatari pipeline in 2009 and the fomenting of the Sunni uprising began. The discovery of the Leviathan field came later.
    It’s also a large part of why Russia is involved. They’re quite happy with a monopoly gas pipeline to Europe, and a perpetual war blocking the alternate supply way from the Gulf.
    Yes. Poor Syria. It is the focus of a Saudi/Iranian sponsored Sunni/Shia religious war, and a US/Russia sponsored oil and gas war. And Assad, the former opthalmologist, has gone berserk and is gassing his people.
  • Options
    murali_s said:

murali_s said:

ComRes

twitter.com/NCPoliticsUK/status/985232758271131648

Jezza's Putin Puppet routine isn't doing him any harm. He like Oasis during Brit Pop, as Noel said he could record himself doing a shit and the kids would still buy a million copies.
    Jeremy Corbyn or equivalent will be next our PM. The Tories are a busted flush - why would you vote for them?

(And stopping JC is not a strong enough reason)
    It's more than enough of a reason for me. TSE's Harry Kane post deserves some accolades.
    Good for you but the Tories are still a busted flush.
    You do know Corbyn is diving in the polls as May rises
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,591
    Freggles said:

Charles said:

Y0kel said:

Yorkcity said:

Y0kel said:

Reports of explosions at a large Iranian facility near Aleppo in Syria. Stories have it that aircraft were heard overhead, which seems a little surprising.

Who would it be this evening Israel ?
    I'd be wary. Its the aircraft overhead bit that seems odd. Its a fair distance and angle of attack. Could just be a storeman having an unfortunate incident.
    An unfortunate accident (assisted)?
    Accidentally brutally struck himself by cruise missiles whilst shaving?
    Creepy. I just finished watching Dr Strangelove!
    This version?

https://twitter.com/PoliticsJOE_UK/status/985092237162962945?s=19
  • Options
    Yup. Is a response to this. From a Durham Uni Law Professor.

https://twitter.com/welshracer/status/985194258004107266?s=21
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,954
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

It’s also a large part of why Russia is involved. They’re quite happy with a monopoly gas pipeline to Europe, and a perpetual war blocking the alternate supply way from the Gulf.

The Russians have been the at the forefront of pushing "anti-fracking" laws in Eastern Europe, via various front organisations and - I suspect - direct payments to politicians.

But despite all that, Russia's strangehold on energy supplies to Eastern Europe will continue to wane. Norway's gas production is rising, Israel is coming on stream next year, and everyone is building LNG import terminals to benefit from new supplies from the US and Africa. (And the rise of Australian LNG means that gas from the Gulf will be increasingly directed towards Europe.)

The moves to renewables in Europe - while they have sucked for many consumers - have had a similar effect.

The Russian noose around Eastern Europe is slowly loosening.
    Oh yes, and those annoying energy efficiency laws are reducing electrical demand.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046
    rcs1000 said:

That's a fabulous chart. Clearly not being able to afford a house is not affecting Londoners happiness.
    Antidepressant use is actually quite considerable in London but at only half the levels of other parts of the UK. And many of London's poor (migrants) are living in conditions far better than those they grew up in. I can't help but feel much of the metropolitan bourgeoisie rather likes having a working class who seem grateful for their position.

In a way it isn't that surprising that economic failure would make people miserable and that those with optimism and drive would head where the jobs are. Those who were in a state of disbelief on 24th June 2016 might consider that there are parts of England where antidepressant use is nearly 10% of the population.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,939
    Barnesian said:

Sandpit said:

Barnesian said:

rcs1000 said:

Barnesian said:

Yes. Poor Syria. It is the focus of a Saudi/Iranian sponsored Sunni/Shia religious war, and a US/Russia sponsored oil and gas war. And Assad, the former opthalmologist, has gone berserk and is gassing his people.
    IMV the gassing is not the major thing Assad should be going on trail at the Hague for (*) His prison camps are rather dire.

https://www.hrw.org/report/2015/12/16/if-dead-could-speak/mass-deaths-and-torture-syrias-detention-facilities

(*) It won't happen.
  • Options

murali_s said:

murali_s said:

ComRes

Jezza's Putin Puppet routine isn't doing him any harm. He like Oasis during Brit Pop, as Noel said he could record himself doing a shit and the kids would still buy a million copies.
    Jeremy Corbyn or equivalent will be next our PM. The Tories are a busted flush - why would you vote for them?

It's more than enough of a reason for me. TSE's Harry Kane post deserves some accolades.
    Not according to tonights ComRes:

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/985238761641398272?s=19

or OpRes:

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/985246196582240256?s=19
  • Options

murali_s said:

murali_s said:

ComRes

Who do you trust to deal with Russia

May 42% Corbyn 16%
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    murali_s said:

murali_s said:

ComRes

A busted flush is something which looks really good until the last moment and then fails. Is that how you see TMay? Sounds more like Corbyn to me. I'm afraid that OGH's rule is infallible: never mind VI, look at the leader ratings. Corbyn has had his annus mirabilis in 2017, it wasn't quite mirabilis enough, and that was as good as it gets for him. He looks increasingly like what he is, a tired and silly old man.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Tonight's polls would imply 17 Labour gains from the Tories. A further 15 gains from SNP & Plaid would be likely taking Labour to circa 295.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

murali_s said:

murali_s said:

ComRes

or OpRes:

Ignore VI, look at leader ratings.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,847

That's of doubtful significance for a GE more than four years away as you well know.

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited April 2018

murali_s said:

murali_s said:

ComRes

May 42% Corbyn 16%
    16% of the population are morons...Corbyn dealing with Putin would involve him inviting him over and bending over why Vlad rammed his own allotment produce up the proverbial.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Foxy said:

murali_s said:

murali_s said:

ComRes

or OpRes:

The beer goggles of polling?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,850

murali_s said:

murali_s said:

ComRes

May 42% Corbyn 16%
    16% of the population are morons...
    42% brainwashed
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Foxy said:

murali_s said:

murali_s said:

ComRes

or OpRes:

James Callaghan
  • Options

murali_s said:

murali_s said:

ComRes

May 42% Corbyn 16%
    42% brainwashed
    Off you pop back to Infowars...
  • Options
    surbysurby Posts: 1,227
    justin124 said:

Tonight's polls would imply 17 Labour gains from the Tories. A further 15 gains from SNP & Plaid would be likely taking Labour to circa 295.

This despite all that was thrown at Corbyn.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Foxy said:

murali_s said:

murali_s said:

ComRes

or OpRes:

You'd have to ask OGH, it's his theory and has had remarkable predictive ability in at least the last two GEs. Recent thread: http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/category/leader-approval-ratings/
  • Options
    Foxy said:

murali_s said:

murali_s said:

ComRes

or OpRes:

Read the Guardian report on this poll

Not a good look for Corbyn
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

Foxy said:

murali_s said:

murali_s said:

ComRes

or OpRes:

James Callaghan
    Before my time.
  • Options
    So this is why Charlie Elphicke was suspended

https://twitter.com/thesundaytimes/status/985261921912983553
  • Options

murali_s said:

murali_s said:

ComRes

May 42% Corbyn 16%
    42% brainwashed
    FU for wars!!
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,859
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

The Russians have been the at the forefront of pushing "anti-fracking" laws in Eastern Europe, via various front organisations and - I suspect - direct payments to politicians.

But despite all that, Russia's strangehold on energy supplies to Eastern Europe will continue to wane. Norway's gas production is rising, Israel is coming on stream next year, and everyone is building LNG import terminals to benefit from new supplies from the US and Africa. (And the rise of Australian LNG means that gas from the Gulf will be increasingly directed towards Europe.)

The moves to renewables in Europe - while they have sucked for many consumers - have had a similar effect.

Yes, Europe needs to get fracking and yesterday, hopefully recent events are showing the need to accelerate the move away from depending on the Bear to keep the heating on next winter.

I didn’t know until today about the scale of the new Israeli field, for some unknown reason it doesn’t get talked about much in the Gulf!
  • Options

murali_s said:

murali_s said:

ComRes

May 42% Corbyn 16%
    42% brainwashed
    FU for wars!!
    Bizarre. You keep accusing me of supporting various wars, which I have never done. Keep drinking the KoolAid.
  • Options
    rcs - I'm surprised we don't spend more time debating international politics in relation to energy security. Who do people think is running the Kremlin and the middle east? I still haven't made up my mind about European fracking but all the banning seems hasty. I mean if it is uneconomic, fine.

Heard very little about Hinkley recently. Always suspicious that it wouldn't be operationally independent of the Chinese.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

Foxy said:

murali_s said:

murali_s said:

ComRes

or OpRes:

James Callaghan
    And Ted Heath trailing Harold Wilson in 1970.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Foxy said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Foxy said:

murali_s said:

murali_s said:

ComRes

or OpRes:

You'd have to ask OGH, it's his theory and has had remarkable predictive ability in at least the last two GEs. Recent thread: http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/category/leader-approval-ratings/
    Except leadership ratings changed dramatically in the campaign, negating their significance at more distal time intervals.
  • Options
    Sleaze is back, I remember how badly it damaged the Tories in the 90s.

A ministerial aide faces the prospect of a police investigation after he was accused of forgery in a new Commons expenses row.

Chris Davies MP has been hit by claims he fabricated invoices for furniture and photographs to decorate his constituency office.

Mr Davies confessed last night to 'a technical breach' of expenses rules but denied trying to claim money to which he was not entitled.

The allegations have been referred to Scotland Yard by the compliance officer of the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (IPSA), which oversees MPs' expenses.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5616433/Tory-MPs-caught-scandal-harassment-allegations-700-false-expenses-claim.html
  • Options

A ministerial aide faces the prospect of a police investigation after he was accused of forgery in a new Commons expenses row.

Chris Davies MP has been hit by claims he fabricated invoices for furniture and photographs to decorate his constituency office.

Mr Davies confessed last night to 'a technical breach' of expenses rules but denied trying to claim money to which he was not entitled.

The allegations have been referred to Scotland Yard by the compliance officer of the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (IPSA), which oversees MPs' expenses.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5616433/Tory-MPs-caught-scandal-harassment-allegations-700-false-expenses-claim.html

Photographs!!!
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Foxy said:

murali_s said:

murali_s said:

ComRes

or OpRes:

James Callaghan
    Interesting twitter thread here on why Ted Heath won in 1970, but lost in 1974:

https://twitter.com/foxinsoxuk/status/984831502092570631?s=19
  • Options

Foxy said:

murali_s said:

murali_s said:

ComRes

or OpRes:

Read the Guardian report on this poll

Not a good look for Corbyn
    But his ratings are still much higher than a year ago.
    Back in the 1967 - 1969 period the Tories enjoyed huge poll leads of 20% plus yet Heath invariably lagged Wilson in personal popularity. Heath still won the 1970 election.
  • Options

I seemed to remember an MP during the expenses scandal went to prison for something similar.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Barnesian said:

Sandpit said:

Barnesian said:

rcs1000 said:

Barnesian said:

IMV the gassing is not the major thing Assad should be going on trail at the Hague for (*) His prison camps are rather dire.

https://www.hrw.org/report/2015/12/16/if-dead-could-speak/mass-deaths-and-torture-syrias-detention-facilities

(*) It won't happen.
    The Hague Court has been a disaster for humanity. In the past you could bung a dictator $250m and send him to live in Switzerland.

Now, with The Hague, there is no incentive for them to do a deal so they all fight to the death.
  • Options

I seemed to remember an MP during the expenses scandal went to prison for something similar.
    Yup, the man OGH beat in an election, Gabble Denis MacShane.
  • Options
    edited April 2018

I might be wrong, but wasn't there also another Labour MP who claimed he had a load of work done but the company never existed.

Edit - Jim Devine.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Yes, Europe needs to get fracking and yesterday, hopefully recent events are showing the need to accelerate the move away from depending on the Bear to keep the heating on next winter.

I didn’t know until today about the scale of the new Israeli field, for some unknown reason it doesn’t get talked about much in the Gulf!
    It's potentially even bigger than the quoted numbers. There are two more layers which show up bright on seismic which have not yet been drilled. Now, I know I've done too much hanging around energy company managements, but if these two layers are productive as the higher ones, and if there are no technical challenges (both of these are big ifs), then Leviathan could be the second largest conventional gas field in the world behind the Qatar/Iranian one.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942
    Charles said:

Barnesian said:

Sandpit said:

Barnesian said:

rcs1000 said:

Barnesian said:

(*) It won't happen.
    The Hague Court has been a disaster for humanity. In the past you could bung a dictator $250m and send him to live in Switzerland.

Now, with The Hague, there is no incentive for them to do a deal so they all fight to the death.
    There was a speccy article on exactly that a few years back. Idi Amin was the example given of the alternative route.
  • Options

That is a potentially very serious offence.

Does anyone know how B&R voted in the Brexit referendum? If it were Remain, then I suspect that it would be a LibDem gain at a by-election.
  • Options

I might be wrong, but wasn't there also another Labour MP who claimed he had a load of work done but the company never existed.
    So many Labour MPs went to prison over expenses it is hard to remember them all, I think the chap you're thinking about was Jim Devine.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942
    justin124 said:

And those 15 would happen because........you want them to?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Does anyone know how B&R voted in the Brexit referendum? If it were Remain, then I suspect that it would be a LibDem gain at a by-election.
    Brecon and Radnorshire was representative of the UK, it voted Leave 51.9%
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    Foxy said:

justin124 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Foxy said:

murali_s said:

murali_s said:

ComRes

or OpRes:

James Callaghan
    Interesting twitter thread here on why Ted Heath won in 1970, but lost in 1974:

https://twitter.com/foxinsoxuk/status/984831502092570631?s=19
    Very interesting, thanks for posting.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

8,000 + majority (19.5%)
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Jezza will still not be convinced,

Compelling new details emerged from Paris as the French government presented a declassified report from its DGSE overseas intelligence service, the equivalent of MI6.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5616485/French-MI6-dossier-reveals-44-incidents-toxic-agents-used-combat.html
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

8,000 + majority (19.5%)
    A 10% swing away from the government would be a fairly average mid-term result.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Brecon and Radnorshire was representative of the UK, it voted Leave 51.9%
    Next door to Lembit's old seat.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,056

So many Labour MPs went to prison over expenses it is hard to remember them all, I think the chap you're thinking about was Jim Devine.
    Even by SLAB standards Jim Devine was a real piece of shite.

An office bully, fraudster, bankrupt, drink-driver and thief.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Devine
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    edited April 2018

Jeremy Hunt has also been referred to the Parliamentary Commissioner for Standards now by the Labour Party

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-43748513
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    UKIP confirms Gerard Batten as new leader AND he immediately announces his resignation...

Unfortunately the best you can get on BF is 1.01...
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721
    edited April 2018
    HYUFD said:

Jeremy Hunt has also been referred to the Parliamentary Commissioner for Standards now by the Labour Party

It sounds like a resigning matter, even if this bit is correct:

Companies House have said their "primary aim is to seek compliance", suggesting that they are taking a relatively gentle approach in dealing with such oversights which, I'm told, are not uncommon

People rightly pillory political defences which come down to 'I'm a moron' all the time. Pinning it all on the accountant may or may not save him.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

UKIP confirms Gerard Batten as new leader AND he immediately announces his resignation...

Unfortunately the best you can get on BF is 1.01...

Seriously? Someone needs to put UKIP out of its misery.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Companies House have said their "primary aim is to seek compliance", suggesting that they are taking a relatively gentle approach in dealing with such oversights which, I'm told, are not uncommon

People rightly pillory political defences which come down to 'I'm a moron' all the time. Pinning it all on the accountant may or may not save him.
    I can't agree.

As a matter of companies law, his oversight is nothing. It would be very unlikely to result in anything happening at all.

As a matter of parliamentary position, his interest was properly declared to the Cabinet Office.

Yet in some way you put the two together and it's a resigning matter? C
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

8,000 + majority (19.5%)
    Haven't the LDs been underperforming in Wales though? They had a bigger drop in their share there (though admittedly higher than the share overall I believe) and have dropped to a single seat in the Assembly as well. Contrast with their low share but ability to highly target seats in Scotland.
  • Options

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

I can't agree.

As a matter of companies law, his oversight is nothing. It would be very unlikely to result in anything happening at all.

As a matter of parliamentary position, his interest was properly declared to the Cabinet Office.

That is a matter for the Parliamentary Commissioner for Standards to now decide, if he decides against Hunt he will have to resign
  • Options
    edited April 2018

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

I can't agree.

I think if a Labour minister had made the same error, Hunt would call for their resignation saying at best it showed they were unable to properly handle simple administrative issues.

I'm not out for heads, and I don't have an issue with Hunt, but I think he would not be so kind on his opponents if they did this. If the Commissioner thinks it is serious enough, he will struggle, and would have only himself to blame.
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469
    Just reading the last 100 or so comments, makes me wonder which alternative reality so many live in! So, just for the record, there is now a high possibility that May will be forced to resign within the next 30 days, MP's and the country are not happy bunnies about Westminster not being consulted about the bombing of Syria, whether they agreed or not, and May looking like Trump's poodle, not a good look. While Hunt forgetting about buying 7 luxury flats while a record of him claiming 27p for a half mile car drive. Then there is still Boris, still SOS Foreign Office, still in cabinet, still an MP with delusions of being PM. And Liam Fox, Amber Rudd, and so many others

As for SLab winning 15 SNP seats, beginning to think it is very much to look an under estimate. SLab is now stealing the SNP's majority left wing votes while Sturgeon is noe aiming for a right wing NZ economy to placate her north east Scotland electorate (and her party's bank rollers) but not her majority central belt voters.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

I can't agree.

I think if a Labour minister had made the same error, Hunt would call for their resignation saying at best it showed they were unable to properly handle simple administrative issues.

I'm not out for heads, and I don't have an issue with Hunt, but I think he would not be so kind on his opponents if they did this. If the Commissioner thinks it is serious enough, he will struggle, and would have only himself to blame.
    This is like getting to your car and realising you haven't paid for your baked beans, so you walk back in and just get quizzical looks as you attempt to apologise for something none of the staff realise has actually happened. All they're going to let you do is pay for it as per usual.

I have no idea what Hunt would say if it were a Labour minister but two wrongs don't make a right.
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

I can't agree.

This is like getting to your car and realising you haven't paid for your baked beans, so you walk back in and just get quizzical looks as you attempt to apologise for something none of the staff realise has actually happened. All they're going to let you do is pay for it as per usual.
    If it is so insignificant it shouldn't have been so bloody difficult for him to do it properly in the first place to avoid this hassle now then. If the Commissioner thinks it is not big deal I'm sure he'll survive, but I don't really see how having to admit to being someone who cannot handle simple administrative concerns (or cannot find an accountant to manage it) is not at the least very embarrassing.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    OchEye said:

Just reading the last 100 or so comments, makes me wonder which alternative reality so many live in! So, just for the record, there is now a high possibility that May will be forced to resign within the next 30 days, MP's and the country are not happy bunnies about Westminster not being consulted about the bombing of Syria, whether they agreed or not, and May looking like Trump's poodle, not a good look. .

Why would that result in May resigning within 30 days? Apparently the Cabinet members were on board, so we'd need a flurry of more backbenchers forcing a challenge, since how could a Cabinet Minister try replacing her when they supported the course of action?

And how do we know the country are not happy about Westminster not being consulted? Polls on taking action show an at best divided view on tacking any, and there's a good chance it will be unpopular, but I struggle to see why most people would take a view on a piece of constitutional arcana about whether she should have consulted parliament first, and even if the public do think that is significant, what evidence has emerged to support that in the 14 hours since it happened? I don't care about that issue, and I don't even support taking the strikes. I may be atypical in that, but how would I know?
  • Options
    OchEye said:

Just reading the last 100 or so comments, makes me wonder which alternative reality so many live in! So, just for the record, there is now a high possibility that May will be forced to resign within the next 30 days, MP's and the country are not happy bunnies about Westminster not being consulted about the bombing of Syria, whether they agreed or not, and May looking like Trump's poodle, not a good look. While Hunt forgetting about buying 7 luxury flats while a record of him claiming 27p for a half mile car drive. Then there is still Boris, still SOS Foreign Office, still in cabinet, still an MP with delusions of being PM. And Liam Fox, Amber Rudd, and so many others

As for SLab winning 15 SNP seats, beginning to think it is very much to look an under estimate. SLab is now stealing the SNP's majority left wing votes while Sturgeon is noe aiming for a right wing NZ economy to placate her north east Scotland electorate (and her party's bank rollers) but not her majority central belt voters.

High possibility of May resigning in the next30 days? Hm, okay. I assume you've wagered accordingly.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    What did Gardiner say about Labours position on Brexit?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/04/14/labour-councillors-standing-election-pledge-help-stop-brexit/

Bollocks I believe

• Options
    OchEye said:

Blair never consulted Parliament when he just launched bombing campaigns and Macron was right beside May and Trump in launching strikes.

• Options
    Floater said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/04/14/labour-councillors-standing-election-pledge-help-stop-brexit/

Bollocks I believe

Well, at least councillors don't have to worry about trying to stop Brexit in the one place that it can happen, parliament, so presumably are free to believe Labour's policy is about stopping Brexit if they want.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    kle4 said:

Floater said:

Bollocks I believe

Well, at least councillors don't have to worry about trying to stop Brexit in the one place that it can happen, parliament, so presumably are free to believe Labour's policy is about stopping Brexit if they want.
    Lying to the voters then - how very Labour
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Is Survation still the gold standard ? Titter.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/985282660384768001?s=19

Con lose 21 seats when Baxtered. Fine by me...
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Foxy said:

TGOHF said:

Titter. 7 points in a month. Titter.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

TGOHF said:

The trend is your friend ;)
  • Options

Compelling new details emerged from Paris as the French government presented a declassified report from its DGSE overseas intelligence service, the equivalent of MI6.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5616485/French-MI6-dossier-reveals-44-incidents-toxic-agents-used-combat.html

Fake News
  • Options

Fake News
    The report is fake?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Foxy said:

TGOHF said:

It brings it into line with the other polls. Neck and neck on OpRes and Lab 1% ahead on ComRes.

The trend is regression to the mean, and May unable to form a government.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

RobD said:

Foxy said:

TGOHF said:

It brings it into line with the other polls. Neck and neck on OpRes and Lab 1% ahead on ComRes.

Last time I checked she was in government ;)
  • Options
    Foxy said:

RobD said:

Foxy said:

TGOHF said:

Could anybody form a government on these numbers? With all the criticism of Con making a deal with the DUP, surely the price for SNP confidence and supply would be too high?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Foxy said:

RobD said:

Foxy said:

TGOHF said:

Could anybody form a government on these numbers? With all the criticism of Con making a deal with the DUP, surely the price for SNP confidence and supply would be too high?
    No, I don't think anyone could form a government. It would be the NOTA result, and a rematch probably with a change of Tory leader months later.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Foxy said:

RobD said:

Foxy said:

TGOHF said:

Well, the whole point of polls is snapshotting what happens if another election happens.

No sign of Corbynism fading despite the Month of Hate campaign by the Tories. No impact at all, and those May elections coming fast.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

RobD said:

Foxy said:

RobD said:

Foxy said:

TGOHF said:

Well, the whole point of polls is snapshotting what happens if another election happens.

No sign of Corbynism fading despite the Month of Hate campaign by the Tories. No impact at all, and those May elections coming fast.
    Month of Hate?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Foxy said:

RobD said:

Foxy said:

RobD said:

Foxy said:

TGOHF said:

Month of Hate?
    They had some bad headlines which naturally their political opponents emphasised = Month of Hate
  • Options
    Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

RobD said:

Foxy said:

TGOHF said:

No, I don't think anyone could form a government. It would be the NOTA result, and a rematch probably with a change of Tory leader months later.
    With Corbyn potentially facing his third general election loss? Worse than Kinnock.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Foxy said:

TGOHF said:

Neck and neck in pretty much all the polls then but remember in the 2014 local elections Labour won by 2% and it is those wards up again in May
  • Options
    RobD said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

RobD said:

Foxy said:

TGOHF said:

With Corbyn potentially facing his third general election loss? Worse than Kinnock.
    After gaining another 15 seats and unseating May, I would be surprised if Labour changed leader, though May would be Toast.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

TGOHF said:

Neck and neck in pretty much all the polls them but remember in the 2014 local elections Labour won by 2% and it is those wards up again In May
    Labour was further ahead in the national polls four years ago. But going from national to local always carries a margin of error
  • Options
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

Foxy said:

RobD said:

Foxy said:

RobD said:

Foxy said:

TGOHF said:

Month of Hate?
    They had some bad headlines which naturally their political opponents emphasised = Month of Hate
    Well I thought it was an appropriate way of describing all the anti-semitic stuff over the last few weeks.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100
    RobD said:

Foxy said:

TGOHF said:

3.5% swing Labour to Tory in the "Month of Hate".....

Imagine what four more years will do. ;-)
  • Options
    Foxy said:

RobD said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

RobD said:

Foxy said:

TGOHF said:

After gaining another 15 seats and unseating May, I would be surprised if Labour changed leader, though May would be Toast.
    Exactly, potentially facing his third general election loss.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

TGOHF said:

Neck and neck in pretty much all the polls them but remember in the 2014 local elections Labour won by 2% and it is those wards up again In May
    Labour was further ahead in the national polls four years ago. But going from national to local always carries a margin of error
    Though it does at least give a chance of Tory net gains from Labour in May, at least outside of London
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

TGOHF said:

Neck and neck in pretty much all the polls then but remember in the 2014 local elections Labour won by 2% and it is those wards up again In May
    All down to what happens to the UKIP vote? As we've seen, it can go anywhere (or nowhere).
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

TGOHF said:

Neck and neck in pretty much all the polls then but remember in the 2014 local elections Labour won by 2% and it is those wards up again In May
    All down to what happens to the UKIP vote? As we've seen, it can go anywhere (or nowhere).
    Though over 50% of it went to the Tories at GE 2017
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

TGOHF said:

Though over 50% of it went to the Tories at GE 2017
    It has mostly gone elsewhere in Local byelections including LD, but not long to wait.

Shadsy has some markets up, not seen much elsewhere.

MOTD over and Saints going down at 5/1 as tipped by me in Jan looks like paying off. Still 1.57 on BF and still looks value. They have a horrible run in.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

I think he will be ok. It genuinely does seem like his accountant messed up and this whole thing was only picked up because some academic did a deep dive, had a think, looked up the rules and then wrote to people saying I think he might not be in compliance here.

Where as Chris Davies (if true) claiming for stuff via false receipts, now that is big big trouble. The authorities can give you a pass / slap on the wrist for not understanding complex compliance rules, making up receipts is a totally different kettle of fish.
  • Options
    WPP chief Sir Martin Sorrell quits advertising agency

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-43771974
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited April 2018
    Nice to get agreement in the polls with Survation, Opinium and YouGov.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

8,000 + majority (19.5%)
    I tend to agree - though the Tories could be saved by a strong Labour campaign in the seat. Brecon & Radnor - albeit on different boundaries - was Labour-held from 1945 - 1979. Labour came close to winning the seat at the 1985 by election.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    Night all!
  • Options
    Except the article says it was never paid? Even the CA whistleblower says it wasn't paid.

In any case, £40k is a drop in the ocean compared to the difference between Remain and Leave spending.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052
    RobD said:

Except the article says it was never paid? Even the CA whistleblower says it wasn't paid.

In any case, £40k is a drop in the ocean compared to the difference between Remain and Leave spending.
    Welching on invoices is an innovative way to avoid campaign spending limits.
This discussion has been closed.