Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Fewer than 3 in 5 of GE2017 LAB voters prefer Corbyn as “next

SystemSystem Posts: 11,018
edited April 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Fewer than 3 in 5 of GE2017 LAB voters prefer Corbyn as “next PM”

There is a new YouGov poll for the Times which has the Tories moving to a 5% lead compared with the level pegging that they had a week ago.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,808
    edited April 2018
    First. But only because nobody else in politics is even trying.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Conspiracy Corbyn on the slide...
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,111
    JCWNBPM
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,268
    edited April 2018
    Fourth. Ukip will be so lucky.

Makes the locals interesting, PVs are going out now.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,814
    I'm not all that sure how seriously we can take opinions polls...
  • Options
    Windrush hasn't seen either party covered in glory. It affects very few voters directly. Labour supporters would no doubt suggest that callous Tories don't give a shiny shit anyway - so the most excited about it are likely to be on the Left. (Personally, I think the Tories should have sorted this before it became a political football, and Amber Rudd has lost what little lustre remained.)

More importantly, Labour look to be losing those who didn't mind voting for Corbyn when doing so was a free kick at Bishop Brennan's arse, but are decidedly squeamish once he might actually, you know, get to be PM....
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,971
    edited April 2018
    IanB2 said:

If the LDs can't gain any traction in these circumstances (and this poll does not look good from their point of view), there really is no hope for them. Fwiw, they probably have my vote in Ealing for want of alternatives.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,056
    Scottish subsample klaxon. Are Labour heading for fourth place?

SNP: 39%
    Conservative: 30%
    Labour: 15%
    Lib Dem: 9%

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/ck1l2ze60y/TimesResults_180417_VI_Trackers.pdf
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,980
    So they say. But if they vote Labour, they're voting for Corbyn as PM.

I still wonder at what point Mr. Observer will (if he doesn't succeed in ousting Corbyn) give up. Because right now, any effort to help Labour is helping Corbyn into Number Ten.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,832
    Windrush was big news on Monday and Tuesday, but most people were likely still focused on Syria.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,920
    Land of hope and Tories. As someone with a biggish mortgage who would prefer an economically dry version of the yellow team in charge, I definitely prefer the blue team to be ahead of the reds.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    edited April 2018

Windrush hasn't seen either party covered in glory. It affects very few voters directly. Labour supporters would no doubt suggest that callous Tories don't give a shiny shit anyway - so the most excited about it are likely to be on the Left. (Personally, I think the Tories should have sorted this before it became a political football, and Amber Rudd has lost what little lustre remained.)

More importantly, Labour look to be losing those who didn't mind voting for Corbyn when doing so was a free kick at Bishop Brennan's arse, but are decidedly squeamish once he might actually, you know, get to be PM....

I don’t think anyone is ‘excited’ about this scandal. Antisemitism also affects few voters directly but IIRC you were convinced it was disastrous for Labour electorally.

I don’t think this about the voters getting squeasmish ‘once he might actually get to be PM.’ Corbyn had crap ratings when Labour was twenty five points behind. The polls at the GE oversaw a reduction the Tory lead and thus the increasing prospect of Corbyn becoming PM, yet that didn’t lead to Corbyn’s ratings crashing and burning. The GE campaign was actually one of the few occasions which saw Corbyn’s ratings rise.

The last few months (especially this last month) has highlighted Corbyn’s weaknesses, while May was having a good month until the Windrush scandal. I think that’s the reason for Corbyn’s declining ratings. But in this climate we’ve seen that ratings can change very quickly, so we have to see how Corbyn’s Labour handles things from here.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Remember, Corbyn wouldn't have a prayer were it not for the fact that the Tories have so alienated so many with their policies on housing, tuition fees and Brexit. He is in these respects very much their creation.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710

Britain’s hopes of building a deep security partnership with the EU have been cast into fresh doubt after Brussels issued a warning to EU member states that the British government cannot be trusted to handle sensitive crime data, the Telegraph can reveal.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/04/21/eu-warns-uk-cannot-trusted-sensitive-data-hopes-fade-future/

This is about moving hi tech work to the EU, in particular France, from the UK.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,832

Remember, Corbyn wouldn't have a prayer were it not for the fact that the Tories have so alienated so many with their policies on housing, tuition fees and Brexit. He is in these respects very much their creation.

The moving hand has writ.

We are where we are.
  • Options
    edited April 2018

I don’t think anyone is ‘excited’ about this scandal. Antisemitism also affects few voters directly but IIRC you were convinced it was disastrous for Labour electorally.

Exhibit A: a Govt. mid-term 5% poll lead.....

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,889
    FF43 said:

Britain’s hopes of building a deep security partnership with the EU have been cast into fresh doubt after Brussels issued a warning to EU member states that the British government cannot be trusted to handle sensitive crime data, the Telegraph can reveal.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/04/21/eu-warns-uk-cannot-trusted-sensitive-data-hopes-fade-future/

This is about moving hi tech work to the EU, in particular France, from the UK.
    So, in 2015 after the terrorists attacked the Bataclan theatre in Paris, where did the intelligence come from to apprehend the perpetrators? Oh, it was the British.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-42875215
  • Options
    At least Sanchez has turned up against Spurs. As an Arsenal fan I really wouldn’t like to see them get to the FA Cup final.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189

At least Sanchez has turned up against Spurs. As an Arsenal fan I really wouldn’t like to see them get to the FA Cup final.

I want Spurs to win. It would be nice to keep the record for more than a season this time and if Spurs do win the Cup it will always have an asterisk next to it due to home advantage.
  • Options
    edited April 2018

That’s one poll though. Most of the polls on average have been showing a tie, and that was before the antisemitism scandal. When we got polling a week after the scandal broke, it pretty much showed the polls hadn’t budged. To repeat what I said yesterday, I don’t think Windrush will really have much impact on the polls either.

Also it’s not mid-term.
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    edited April 2018

A government eight years in... I’m wondering if it’s just afterglow from the general election that has kept th4 cons so high. Opposition parties heading for government often have some pretty insane poll leads. Even ones that only might just get into government get sustained leads.
  • Options
    Ms. Apocalypse, aye. Taking a single poll too seriously is unwise.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,052

Sub exhibit A(i): a party partisan taking a single poll as evidence of an established & solid lead.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,301
    Polling is just a load of rot. They were giving Theresa a 300-seat majority a few weeks prior and look what happened. In any other walk of life they would be branded pseudo-science and left to cranks. The polling companies should just disband and give us all some peace.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    tlg86 said:

I want Spurs to win. It would be nice to keep the record for more than a season this time and if Spurs do win the Cup it will always have an asterisk next to it due to home advantage.
    I forgot about the record. I still can’t find it in me to be support Spurs to keep the record though, sorry.
  • Options

Sub exhibit A(i): a party partisan taking a single poll as evidence of an established & solid lead.
    Get back to your Scottish subsamples!
  • Options
    Mr. Dawning, to be fair, they did change after May launched the most stupid campaigning approach since Flaminius thought chasing Hannibal would be a good idea.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,072

Corbyn became Labour leader the year before the Referendum and Labour led the Conservatives in the 2016 local elections.

Now Brexit may or may not have alienated some previous Conservative voters but on the other hand it may or may not have resulted in them gaining new supporters and without Brexit it would certainly have seen them losing supporters to UKIP.

You're certainly right about the effects of housing and tuition fees but they have nothing to do with Brexit and everything to do with Remainers such as Blair, Brown, Cameron, Clegg and Osborne.
  • Options

That’s one poll though. Most of the polls on average have been showing a tie, and that was before the antisemitism scandal. When we got polling a week after the scandal broke, it pretty much showed the polls hadn’t budged. To repeat what I said yesterday, I don’t think Windrush will really have much impact on the polls either.

Also it’s not mid-term.
    Depends when Theresa calls the next one. We know she likes elections.

And Corbyn would HAVE to go along with calling it.....
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,853

Exhibit B Tory lead of 9% eve of poll GE2017 100 seat majority in bag.

9.59 Tories await Exit Poll to see how big their majority has increased to.

10.00 Cats kicked throughout Tory Land
  • Options

Also it’s not mid-term.

Tbh I don’t think TMay likes elections now all that much.

I also don’t think the Conservative party are going to allow themselves to be led into another GE by TMay.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847

Also it’s not mid-term.

Tbh I don’t think TMay likes elections now all that much.

I also don’t think the Conservative party are going to allow themselves to be led into another GE by TMay.
    Theresa May “got away” with calling the last election. I can’t remember what excuse she gave but I think the general consensus was that it was not a bad idea to get a personal mandate and a better majority.

Unfortunately, she flubbed it.

The public do not have the appetite for another snap election, nor do the Conservative party, and nor does Mrs May.

Until then, polling is really of academic interest. It merely tells us Corbyn cannot win the next election, all things being equal.
  • Options
    It’s actually funny how deranged this tweet is:

https://twitter.com/andrew_lilico/status/987652541369503744
  • Options
    valleyboyvalleyboy Posts: 605
    Carwyn resigned as FM. Early days for runners and riders but Eluded Morgan and Mark Drake ford already mentioned.
    Ps electiral college system for deputy has caused row. Members voted Julie Morgan, but Carolyn Harris gets the gig.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,960
    https://gizmodo.com/report-trump-may-seek-wartime-authority-to-boost-coal-1825442838

I'm trying to think of a more staggeringly stupid policy.

1. If you force coal up the merit order (irrespective of underlying cost of generation), then you will increase electricity prices for American businesses and consumers.

2. By reducing demand for natural gas, you will reduce the amount of activity in the space. And natural gas employment - even ignoring services firms - is much larger than that of the coal industry.

3. Natural gas is simply a better way to generate electricity: it has lower capital and maintenance costs, it's much more flexible, modern plants have efficiencies almost twice that of coal plants, and it produces far fewer pollutants than coal.
  • Options

Corbyn became Labour leader the year before the Referendum and Labour led the Conservatives in the 2016 local elections.

Now Brexit may or may not have alienated some previous Conservative voters but on the other hand it may or may not have resulted in them gaining new supporters and without Brexit it would certainly have seen them losing supporters to UKIP.

You're certainly right about the effects of housing and tuition fees but they have nothing to do with Brexit and everything to do with Remainers such as Blair, Brown, Cameron, Clegg and Osborne.
    Corbyn's fellow travellers were electoral poison in the 1980s and 1990s. In those days many voters who were young and/or working class could see (grudgingly) that they had a stake in the economic stability and opportunity for personal advancement that the Tories appeared to offer them, so given a choice between a Trot and a Tory they would tend to opt for the latter.
  • Options
    valleyboy said:

Carwyn resigned as FM. Early days for runners and riders but Eluded Morgan and Mark Drake ford already mentioned.
    Ps electiral college system for deputy has caused row. Members voted Julie Morgan, but Carolyn Harris gets the gig.

Today’s news has reminded me that the Lib Dems hold the Education portfolio in the Welsh government.

Is Wales a testbed, then, for radical centrism in its horribly underperforming schools?

Didn’t think so.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,052
    Tr: we are neither ruling out or ruling in a second referendum as long as there's the slightest chance that committing to either will lose us voters.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,268

IanB2 said:

If the LDs can't gain any traction in these circumstances (and this poll does not look good from their point of view), there really is no hope for them. Fwiw, they probably have my vote in Ealing for want of alternatives.
    The Ealing LDs are worth supporting against the alternatives.

The outlook for the LDs in London looks positive only where Labour doesn't make a showing, in SW London against the Tories. Against Labour in the central Boroughs and in three-way contests in outer NW, NE and SE, things look difficult. However if Labour falters and the Tories do better - as most recent polls suggest - the LDs have a better chance of hanging on in Boroughs like Haringey and Southwark.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

The Ealing LDs are worth supporting against the alternatives.

The outlook for the LDs in London looks positive only where Labour doesn't make a showing, in SW London against the Tories. Against Labour in the central Boroughs and in three-way contests in outer NW, NE and SE, things look difficult. However if Labour falters and the Tories do better - as most recent polls suggest - the LDs have a better chance of hanging on in Boroughs like Haringey and Southwark.
    Yes, think I'll give them my vote, and try and persuade Mrs N to do the same. They've suffered enough.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,889

Tr: we are neither ruling out or ruling in a second referendum as long as there's the slightest chance that committing to either will lose us voters.
    Exactly. They don’t want to alienate the Twitter #FBPE mob while having no intention of revisiting the Brexit referendum.
  • Options
    Anyone told Jeremy?
  • Options
    I think Pochettino has taken Spurs as far as he can, time to move on.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Interesting ComRes poll coming out at 8pm with questions on how Corbyn is tackling antisemitism and whether voters would trust him to lead the country. No VI

I'm having dinner with Sean Fear tonight and will cover it and other polling when I return.
  • Options

Interesting ComRes poll coming out at 8pm with questions on how Corbyn is tackling antisemitism and whether voters would trust him to lead the country. No VI

I'm having dinner with Sean Fear tonight and will cover it and other polling when I return.

I look forward to your coverage of your dinner with Sean Fear.

If you were having dinner with SeanT you could allow him to cover it.
  • Options
    Worth a read: how Brexit threatens our cultural sector. I look forward to the usual dismissals from Leavers.

http://www.howardgoodall.co.uk/articles-press-etc/brexit-and-music-theme-and-variations
  • Options

Corbyn's fellow travellers were electoral poison in the 1980s and 1990s. In those days many voters who were young and/or working class could see (grudgingly) that they had a stake in the economic stability and opportunity for personal advancement that the Tories appeared to offer them, so given a choice between a Trot and a Tory they would tend to opt for the latter.
    The 1980s and 1990s were a time of rising prosperity and rising home ownership (especially among the young).

They were also a time of free university education and low personal debt.

And when Britain seemed to have both reasonable levels of aspiration and fairness.
  • Options
    Here's a question for RCS and anyone else.

How has home ownership levels changed between middle and working class people over the last few decades ?

Traditionally the middle classes would have higher levels of home ownership with an increase in working class home ownership levels in the 1980s (RTB etc).

But I wonder if the fall in home ownership during the last 15 years has been concentrated among the middle classes with them coming into the workforce later, having student debts, more likely to go travelling, more likely to move to urban areas etc.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

You should try to be more positive

They will continue to pretend to be on both sides as long as that attracts voters
  • Options
    Southam is now revelling in his misery.

With 64% possession Spurs managed 2 shots on target - do you ever wonder if attacking play isn't as good as its claimed to be.
  • Options

Worth a read: how Brexit threatens our cultural sector. I look forward to the usual dismissals from Leavers.

http://www.howardgoodall.co.uk/articles-press-etc/brexit-and-music-theme-and-variations

Speaking of which what happened to 'Cool Britannia' - that cultural renaissance we were told would happen in 1997.
  • Options

Speaking of which what happened to 'Cool Britannia' - that cultural renaissance we were told would happen in 1997.
    Well, it happened.

British film, music, design, architecture, fashion etc exports have all grown massively in the past two decades.

Not least via the establishment of London as de facto cultural capital of Europe.
  • Options

Well, it happened.

British film, music, design, architecture, fashion etc exports have all grown massively in the past two decades.

Not least via the establishment of London as de facto cultural capital of Europe.
    You mean a lot of money was spent.

Perhaps you'd like to make a list of the great achievements which people will remember a century from now.
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    Does anyone pay the slightest bit of attention to midterm polling anymore? Whether good or bad, the best advice is to ignore it.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,604
    Charles said:

They will continue to pretend to be on both sides as long as that attracts voters
    Facing both ways at the same time. Are we LibDems in disguise?
  • Options

Well, it happened.

Perhaps you'd like to make a list of the great achievements which people will remember a century from now.
    No doubt they’ll be analysing SeanT’s work in the University of Alpha Centauri.

Yes, it’s made a lot of money. And taxes paid too, which is helpful when considering the cost of your round-the-clock incontinence service.
  • Options

Well, it happened.

Yes, it’s made a lot of money. And taxes paid too, which is helpful when considering the cost of your round-the-clock incontinence service.
    So you can't think of anything.

And the idea that London only became 'de facto cultural capital of Europe' after 1997 is comical.
  • Options

Well, it happened.

I read the piece and it was another "oh, this is such a hassle" piece. Well, perhaps the author and others should have lobbied Cameron to get a better deal to keep us in.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    Not evaporating - going into stasis, more like. It will return, as needed. Campaigning during election season is what he is made for, and people are much more likely to overlook his faults at such a time.
  • Options

Charles said:

Well Corbyn's got a beard ...
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725

No kidding. I know the Cabinet have been pretty shambolic for awhile now on Brexit, but honestly Labour need to make up their mind already as well.
  • Options

Well, it happened.

And the idea that London only became 'de facto cultural capital of Europe' after 1997 is comical.
    I’m not here to compile lists of great British creative achievements.

And indeed, since you appear to be a philistine and a halfwit, it would be wasted on you anyway.

I am here to point out the value of creative exports (according to that article) nearly rank with the budget of the whole NHS. You seem to disregard that in your sneering troglodytism.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,853
    edited April 2018

We hold all the Cardsers think this way
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Well, it happened.

I read the piece and it was another "oh, this is such a hassle" piece. Well, perhaps the author and others should have lobbied Cameron to get a better deal to keep us in.
    Right, OK. It’s the Remainer’s fault. Yep.

Are Leavers going through their own version of the Kubler Ross stages of grief, and if so what stage is this?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

Looking forward to it.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Well, it happened.

Are Leavers going through their own version of the Kubler Ross stages of grief, and if so what stage is this?
    Oh, well I couldn't give a toss about special causes like the arts.

All I was saying is, people moaning about the consequences of Brexit should look at themselves and their own side. Cameron asked for very little and was never going to walk away. The author of that piece should have thought about this stuff before the referendum, not after.
  • Options

We hold all the Cardsers think this way
    The show ain’t over until the fat Italian prosecco growers come to our rescue.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Well, it happened.

All I was saying is, people moaning about the consequences of Brexit should look at themselves and their own side. Cameron asked for very little and was never going to walk away. The author of that piece should have thought about this stuff before the referendum, not after.
    I believe the right term is “unspoofable”.

You are literally blaming some guy for the predictable consequences of your own actions (presuming you voted Brexit).
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    edited April 2018
    Dear god

http://hurryupharry.org/2018/04/21/is-supporting-assassination-a-red-line-for-labour/

"If you support the religiously motivated assassination of a politician, will the Labour party accept you as a member?

This may seem an absurd question to ask, especially of the party that lost Jo Cox to a fanatic"

"This a clear-cut case, right? Surely Labour would never let such a man on board.

Oh yes it would. Actually, it has. Here’s Corbynista vicar and Labour PPC for Cities of London and Westminster Steven Saxby fawning over Ul Hassan and welcoming his “friend”to the party. Saxby says the news is “marvellous” and that Mahmood is “very well-respected in the community”

Bloody hell Labour.....

• Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Charles said:

Doesn't he have an allotment too?

• Options

Well, it happened.

And indeed, since you appear to be a philistine and a halfwit, it would be wasted on you anyway.

I am here to point out the value of creative exports (according to that article) nearly rank with the budget of the whole NHS. You seem to disregard that in your sneering troglodytism.
    LOL

You so often stoop to shrill abuse when people ask inconvenient questions.

A tendency of people with closed minds in my experience.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Well, it happened.

You are literally blaming some guy for the predictable consequences of your own actions (presuming you voted Brexit).
    No. I couldn't give a **** about his problems. Okay, that's not quite true, but I don't see why we should care about special cases.

What I'm saying is, perhaps those who do benefit from EU membership should not have taken it for granted. It's people like the author who reap all the benefits and everyone else shoulders the costs. Had Cameron got something substantial on migration, I think Remain would have won. But he didn't even try.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Charles said:

Doesn't he have an allotment too?

I wonder if he grows lentils and makes his own sandals.
  • Options

Well, it happened.

LOL

What *is* your inconvenient question? What are you trying to prove? That the Black and White Minstrel show was the apex of British civilisation?

I’m not sure *what* your point is.
    I suspect you don’t have one. You simply saw an opportunity to sneer at some old New Labour PR term “Cool Britannia”, presumably seeking warm approval from your fellow trogs.

Not really relevant to 2018, is it?
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,301
    After Brexit, will those who voted for it because of immigration a) notice any difference, b) be happier about the world if they did?
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Well, it happened.

No. I couldn't give a **** about his problems. Okay, that's not quite true, but I don't see why we should care about special cases.

What I'm saying is, perhaps those who do benefit from EU membership should not have taken it for granted. It's people like the author who reap all the benefits and everyone else shoulders the costs. Had Cameron got something substantial on migration, I think Remain would have won. But he didn't even try.
    Yes. Those dastardly, export earning composers and viola players have been milking the system for YEARS.

Deport ‘em, I reckon. Those trombonists? They don’t like it up ‘em!
  • Options

After Brexit, will those who voted for it because of immigration a) notice any difference, b) be happier about the world if they did?

QTWTAIN
  • Options
    surbysurby Posts: 1,227
    This is turning out to be like the run in to the Customs Union change. Slow and salami sliced changes, then 6 months down the line, Corbyn will say so himself. Remember he was against Customs Union too!
  • Options

In their planet, the EU has no choice !
  • Options
    edited April 2018

Yes. Those dastardly, export earning composers and viola players have been milking the system for YEARS.

This really is a pointless argument. I don't think it will make much difference to our tax take. Ironically, as with the City, I seem to have a higher opinion of their abilities than they do themselves. But if the tax take does go down, I'm sure us Brexiteers will suffer.
  • Options
    Very pleased with Man U winning. But to be honest, this team or rather the manner they play does not fire me up.
  • Options
    Does anyone here know about GDPR ? More like have a pretty good knowledge about it.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

This really is a pointless argument. I don't think it will make much difference to our tax take. Ironically, as with the City, I seem to have a higher opinion of their abilities than they do themselves. But if the tax take does go down, I'm sure us Brexiteers will suffer.
    It’s pointless because your response to a well-argued piece on the impact of Brexit to the cultural sector sought to blame the writer rather than address any of the detail within.

It’s easy to mock the “arts”, forgetting presumably that it is a multi-billion export industry these days, and one in which the U.K. has excelled.

But, see also pharma, finance, aerospace, auto, higher education etc etc etc.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,449
    Anazina said:

Does anyone pay the slightest bit of attention to midterm polling anymore? Whether good or bad, the best advice is to ignore it.

But they do build narratives, which can strengthen or destabilise leaders.

For instance if TM was polling much worse at the start of the year, I have no doubt she'd have faced a challenge by now.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

It’s pointless because your response to a well-argued piece on the impact of Brexit to the cultural sector sought to blame the writer rather than address any of the detail within.

It’s easy to mock the “arts”, forgetting presumably that it is a multi-billion export industry these days, and one in which the U.K. has excelled.

There are two questions:

1) Will the benefits of leaving the EU outweigh the costs?
    2) Will the costs and benefits be distributed evenly?

The answer to 1) has been debated on here at length. The answer to 2) is almost certainly no. That, however, is always the case with any political and economic decision. Whilst I think it's a shame that other European states are now making things harder for British musicians, perhaps the author should think about what joining the EEC did to industries such as fishing.

What really fucks me off is the sense of entitlement of certain groups in this country.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Having sat opposite Mr Goodall on a coach back from London a few months back, I spotted that he was sporting a nifty hammer and sickle lapel pin.

Just to put him into context....
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Anazina said:

Do you have that saved so you can post it on every poll-related thread?
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840

Anazina said:

But they do build narratives, which can strengthen or destabilise leaders.

For instance if TM was polling much worse at the start of the year, I have no doubt she'd have faced a challenge by now.
    Luckily the Labour leader is mostly shielded from such narratives but it gives us some idea of what might be going on. Unless this causes people to switch their vote come election time when presumably Corbyn will be running another good campaign I imagine it will mostly be ignored in Labour circles.

Off Topic Happy with United today, more effective than brilliant but it'll do.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

There are two questions:

The answer to 1) has been debated on here at length. The answer to 2) is almost certainly no. That, however, is always the case with any political and economic decision. Whilst I think it's a shame that other European states are now making things harder for British musicians, perhaps the author should think about what joining the EEC did to industries such as fishing.

What really fucks me off is the sense of entitlement of certain groups in this country.
    If you read the article, it was written in response to blithe dismissal of any issues caused by Brexit by Nadine Dorries.

It’s not clear to me why he should be criticised for sticking to his subject rather than extending to a broad essay on the EU and British industry since the 70s.

As for the sense of entitlement, I don’t really detect that at all. Simply a lament for the baleful consequences of Brexit on his livelihood, on British export earnings, and on cultural life in this country.
  • Options

LOL

What *is* your inconvenient question? What are you trying to prove? That the Black and White Minstrel show was the apex of British civilisation?

I’m not sure *what* your point is.
    I suspect you don’t have one. You simply saw an opportunity to sneer at some old New Labour PR term “Cool Britannia”, presumably seeking warm approval from your fellow trogs.

Not really relevant to 2018, is it?
    I wasn't making a point or trying to prove anything I asked two questions namely what happened to 'Cool Britannia' and what great achievments did it produce.

Yet within a couple of replies you were into 'philistine', 'halfwit' and now 'trogs'.

I would have hoped that anyone raising an issue would be willing to discuss it in a civilised manner and be open to new thoughts relating to it.

Are you ?

So if you wish we could discuss art or music or literature of recent years and how it has changed. Or indeed seeing that you mentioned the Black and White Minstrel Show how current television compares to that of the 1970s.

The 1970s gave us Elizabeth R, Secret Army, The Onedin Line, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, Grange Hill and various Plays For Today among the drama programs and Fawlty Towers, Porridge, Some Mothers Do 'Av 'Em, The Good Life, Rising Damp and Not The Nine O'Clock News among the comedy. Plus Minder which was a bit of both.

Now how does the last decade compare to that ?
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited April 2018
    Whew!
    I've just managed to escape watching the rest of the Queen's B'day celebration on the tele, during which I was fortunate to have a classic Eric Frank Russell novel to read.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Ed Balls on BBC playing the eukaleli and singing “when I’m cleaning windows”
  • Options
    surby said:

Does anyone here know about GDPR ? More like have a pretty good knowledge about it.

It has led to businesses paying money to consultants who have told them to send leaflets / emails to their employees, suppliers and customers outlining what they do with their data records.
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

There are two questions:

UK fishing was screwed because they sold their fishing permits to the Spanish.Depletion of the fish stock and conservation efforts didn't help but those weren't the fault of the EU.

The whining of the Brexiteers really is something to behold.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Ed Balls on BBC playing the eukaleli and singing “when I’m cleaning windows”

That'll be Cool Britannia (Brownite version).
  • Options
    Toms said:

Whew!
    I've just managed to escape watching the rest of the Queen's B'day celebration on the tele, during which I was fortunate to have a classic Eric Frank Russell novel to read.

Is it Wasp or Next Of Kin ?
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

There are two questions:

UK fishing was screwed because they sold their fishing permits to the Spanish.Depletion of the fish stock and conservation efforts didn't help but those weren't the fault of the EU.

The whining of the Brexiteers really is something to behold.
    So does that mean we didn't actually lose out by not taking control of our waters in the transition? I thought we were told that it was a concession by us.

And the only whinging is coming from entitled twats like Goodall.
This discussion has been closed.