Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Looking ahead to the 2018 Nobel Peace Prize winner

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited April 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Looking ahead to the 2018 Nobel Peace Prize winner

I suppose it's good that they are getting rid of the nukes and all that, but it's not much good for this year's Nobel Peace Prize betting market. pic.twitter.com/o9Ahh6UQoF

Read the full story here

Comments

• RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    More deserving than Obama, who was nominated after just a week or so in office.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,165
    Given that the winning option (Trump + China + Korea, or whatever) isn't available, this looks like a market to avoid.
  • DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited April 2018
    iirc Shadsy went 2/1 against Kim and Trump (combined) when first noted here. I do not see why Trump would not win along with Kim and Moon (though see below) but you'd want to know if Shadsy would settle the bet as a dead heat or as a loser. It's the word alone in brackets that makes me uncertain.

Incidentally the fear is not that Kim will do something rash but that Trump will -- in Iran.

The Time Person of the Year award is another to keep an eye on for Trump and for Kim.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    tlg86 said:

Given that the winning option (Trump + China + Korea, or whatever) isn't available, this looks like a market to avoid.

It does indeed look a lot like an advert for contributions to Shadsy’s Christmas bonus fund, without some clarity as to the dead heat rules.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,718
    Surely Trump can’t get it while sabre-rattling over Iran?
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,751
    edited April 2018

If Kissinger could win it in 1973 during the Vietnam War I see no reason why Trump couldn't. (I can see many reasons why he shouldn't but that's not the same issue.)
    ydoethur said:

If Kissinger could win it in 1973 during the Vietnam War I see no reason why Trump couldn't. (I can see many reasons why he shouldn't but that's not the same issue.)
    Fool me once......

If it has the same effect as his sabre-rattling over North Korea, then possibly.
    Sandpit said:

If it has the same effect as his sabre-rattling over North Korea, then possibly.
    Trump's sabre-rattling over North Korea was irrelevant; it amounted only to a statement of the bleeding obvious threat of massive retaliation if attacked. It was Trump's sanctions and tariffs against China that were important here, albeit indirectly. Kim's sabre-rattling, on the other hand, has succeeded (or might have done, depending what happens next).
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 15,545
    The one quibble I have with this piece is the suggestion that Kim Jong-un is volatile. My impression is that he is a brutally focused individual, which is why he will achieve his aim of keeping his nuclear weapons and having sanctions removed.

If he gets the Nobel peace Prize, irony is deader than ever.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,083
    The prize should be given when there is a compelling reason to make an award, not as an annual event. Deciding to make the award first and then casting around for someone who might happen to deserve it seems wrong to me.
    edited April 2018

Sandpit said:

Trump's sabre-rattling over North Korea was irrelevant; it amounted only to a statement of the bleeding obvious threat of massive retaliation if attacked. It was Trump's sanctions and tariffs against China that were important here, albeit indirectly. Kim's sabre-rattling, on the other hand, has succeeded (or might have done, depending what happens next).
    Hasn’t the biggest contribution to Kim’s new attitude come from the collapse of his test site?

Incidentally, we now appear to have the reason why the MP for Dover was suspended from the Tories. Looks somewhat murky.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Good morning, everyone.

F1: forget to mention, but I'd advocate setting up hedges for the silly long odds bets, if you followed them, on the Haas/Force India drivers. At least that way if last year is repeated a profit can still be had (if Perez is leading the penultimate lap then has a gearbox failure, I'd be less than thrilled).

On-topic: I agree.
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    FF43 said:

The one quibble I have with this piece is the suggestion that Kim Jong-un is volatile. My impression is that he is a brutally focused individual, which is why he will achieve his aim of keeping his nuclear weapons and having sanctions removed.

On the plus side it might tempt Tom Lehrer out of retirement.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,574
    ydoethur said:

Kissinger’s award devalued the prize forever.
  • surbysurby Posts: 1,227
    edited April 2018

Sandpit said:

Actually, Kim playing out of his skin during the Winter Olympics, that got this thing started. Why did he do it ? Well, finally Chinese sanctions started to bite.

Remember, everyone ignored Pence at the Olympics.

Trump gets the credit [ a bit of Haley too! ] for persuading the Security Council to add sanctions on NK. China followed and that hurt! [ Partially, that is why Trump had to act to embarrass Haley publicly ]

Ironically, the Koreas may have stolen a march on everyone else. In fact, whatever they say, the US , China or Japan will not be too happy if their own leverage diminishes. Japan for old fears and Korea now will be a different proposition.

If Kim is clever and it looks and sounds that he is, he could play a blinder! Allow his impoverished people good wages as a labour intensive sweat-shop for the South. First only near the border regions and gradually moving northwards. This could be their Deng Hsiao Ping moment !

The world benefits from a lower military heat and the Koreas roar ahead. The neighbours and the US loses influence.

What's not to like !
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,574

Sandpit said:

Hasn’t the biggest contribution to Kim’s new attitude come from the collapse of his test site?
    Certainly a material consideration.
    With Trumpian disregard for the truth, Kim is claiming to be decommissioning it....
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/apr/29/north-korea-will-invite-foreign-observers-to-shuttering-of-nuclear-test-site
    Mr. Surby, there is at least one big problem. Every dictator in the world will have watched and learnt that getting yourself some nukes is the way to get what you want. Peace now is very good, but it may have made future nuclear proliferation a much more serious problem.

Interesting sweatshop idea. If the Kim dynasty feel they can do that whilst keeping absolute control (worth recalling that North Korea has literal concentration camps. It's an utterly brutal regime) they could go for that.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,771
    tlg86 said:

The person who really deserves the prize is the North Korean who designed their nuclear test facility. If the facility hadn't collapsed, we wouldn't be talking about peace now.
  • surbysurby Posts: 1,227
    Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Certainly a material consideration.
    With Trumpian disregard for the truth, Kim is claiming to be decommissioning it....
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/apr/29/north-korea-will-invite-foreign-observers-to-shuttering-of-nuclear-test-site
    When did he employ Alastair Campbell as his PR man ?
    IanB2 said:

The prize should be given when there is a compelling reason to make an award, not as an annual event. Deciding to make the award first and then casting around for someone who might happen to deserve it seems wrong to me.

They have the option of not awarding it, as in 1948 after Gandhi's assassination.

FF43 said:

On the plus side it might tempt Tom Lehrer out of retirement.
    I doubt it. If he said of Dubya 'I don't want to laugh at him, I want to vaporise him,' what must he feel about Trump?
    rcs1000 said:

tlg86 said:

The person who really deserves the prize is the North Korean who designed their nuclear test facility. If the facility hadn't collapsed, we wouldn't be talking about peace now.
    Has the entire test facility collapsed or just one tunnel? In any case, it has done its work. NK has demonstrated to the world it can detonate nuclear bombs. It would probably have been shuttered anyway as no longer needed, as the French did in the 90s.
    Off-topic but the weather forecast is a bit grim this week and though the worst is tomorrow, polling day still looks a bit wintry.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,065
    rcs1000 said:

tlg86 said:

It might have to be a posthumous award. Kim can be a little tough on subordinates who let him down!

Mind you a Kim peace prize would be an interesting award for a man who assassinated his brother with chemical agents in an airport. It would give Mr Putin scope for hope!
    F1: I forgot to hedge the Force India/Haas bets, but looking at Ladbrokes (I tend to use the Ladbrokes exchange for such things because the bets are there) there are many new markets up. So I shall peruse them, and perhaps offer yet more exciting suggestions.

Mr. Surby, there is at least one big problem. Every dictator in the world will have watched and learnt that getting yourself some nukes is the way to get what you want. Peace now is very good, but it may have made future nuclear proliferation a much more serious problem.

Interesting sweatshop idea. If the Kim dynasty feel they can do that whilst keeping absolute control (worth recalling that North Korea has literal concentration camps. It's an utterly brutal regime) they could go for that.

There is another issue that should not be overlooked which is the example of China.

China has shown that you can have a dictatorship and benefit from a market economy. The Kim dynasty can remain in power and the North Korean people can prosper once more (remember it used to be richer than the South) as both China and South Korea pour money in.

rcs1000 said:

tlg86 said:

Has the entire test facility collapsed or just one tunnel? In any case, it has done its work. NK has demonstrated to the world it can detonate nuclear bombs. It would probably have been shuttered anyway as no longer needed, as the French did in the 90s.
    From the Chinese reports, it sounds like the whole facility in the mountain got destroyed by several large explosions. More than the facility itself, it was also home to the team of scientists responsible for the NK nuclear program who are probably lost.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/apr/26/north-korea-nuclear-test-site-collapse-may-be-out-of-action-china

F1: I forgot to hedge the Force India/Haas bets, but looking at Ladbrokes (I tend to use the Ladbrokes exchange for such things because the bets are there) there are many new markets up. So I shall peruse them, and perhaps offer yet more exciting suggestions.

Some more ideas from Betfair:

Under 15.5 classified drivers (5 or more retirements) 1.75
    Grosjean for points 5.0 (he starts from the back).
    Winning car - Mercedes 2.75
    First lap leader Hamilton 5.5 Bottas 13 or lay Vettel 1.37 (it’s 2km from the start of the last straight to the line but there might be an SC).
    F1: decided against backing anything extra, except a small sum on Mr. Sandpit's Raikkonen tip. Anyway, what I'd really like is for the top 6 to smash into one another and for a Force India/Haas podium :D
    Mr. Sandpit, yeah, I was considering the classified bet. May be worth a look. Interestingly, that market appears to have vanished from Ladbrokes.

Mentioned the Bottas lead lap 1 bet. Always a bit tricky judging/guessing that sort of thing.

Which of those have you backed?
    Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

tlg86 said:

It might have to be a posthumous award. Kim can be a little tough on subordinates who let him down!

Mind you a Kim peace prize would be an interesting award for a man who assassinated his brother with chemical agents in an airport. It would give Mr Putin scope for hope!
    Article 4 makes it rather difficult to award posthumous prizes:

'Work produced by a person since deceased shall not be considered for an award. If, however, a prizewinner dies before he has received the prize, then the prize may be presented.'

Not impossible, but difficult. In effect they have to be alive at the time of the nomination.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 15,545
    rcs1000 said:

tlg86 said:

All nuclear powers stop testing after a while. The North Korean facility may have run its course. The key point is Kim gets to keep his nuclear weapons to deploy when he wants.
    FF43 said:

rcs1000 said:

tlg86 said:

All nuclear powers stop testing after a while. The North Korean facility may have run its course. The key point is Kim gets to keep his nuclear weapons to deploy when he wants.
    Assuming they.or some/most of them, weren’t destroyed when the facility collapsed.

Aren’t there any spy satellites nowadays?

FF43 said:

rcs1000 said:

tlg86 said:

Assuming they.or some/most of them, weren’t destroyed when the facility collapsed.

Yes, but I'm not sure how many of them can take photographs through several hundred feet of rock...
  • CD13CD13 Posts: 6,349
    Mr 43,

I'm surprised the assumption isn't that that the nuclear facility was sabotaged. The Yanks are generally assumed to be behind anything that goes wrong in communist countries.
    ydoethur said:

FF43 said:

rcs1000 said:

tlg86 said:

Yes, but I'm not sure how many of them can take photographs through several hundred feet of rock...
    I suspect that if half a mountain has collapsed into itself, then there’ll be some signs on the outside.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,674

Off-topic but the weather forecast is a bit grim this week and though the worst is tomorrow, polling day still looks a bit wintry.

Sun splitting the sky in God's country
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,398

Sunny and 12C forecast around these parts.

Half the votes will already have been cast by now anyway.
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,019
    The Nobel Committee would rather die than award Trump the peace prize, so no.

They won't apply the same tests to Kim Jong-Un and, in fact, might think by doing so they are encouraging him in the right direction.

Personally, I think he may decommission "a" nuclear site but it's naive to think he's going to give them all up, and he won't.
    Mr. G, I didn't realise you were in Yorkshire :)
    edited April 2018

Mr. Sandpit, yeah, I was considering the classified bet. May be worth a look. Interestingly, that market appears to have vanished from Ladbrokes.

Mentioned the Bottas lead lap 1 bet. Always a bit tricky judging/guessing that sort of thing.

Which of those have you backed?

I went for the U15.5 classified, and lay Vettel to lead lap 1.

From yesterday the Toro Rossos to score points, safety car to be deployed during the race and Raikkonen to win at long odds.

F2 sprint race in 90 mins will give an idea of the weather in Baku.

F1 bets are definitely trickier this year.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,958
    Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

tlg86 said:

From the Chinese reports, it sounds like the whole facility in the mountain got destroyed by several large explosions. More than the facility itself, it was also home to the team of scientists responsible for the NK nuclear program who are probably lost.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/apr/26/north-korea-nuclear-test-site-collapse-may-be-out-of-action-china
    Assuming the explosion was all North Korea's doing - and it didn't have a bit of a helping hand.....

James Bond always manages to blow up the baddies' lair in the end. Just sayin'.....
  • YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

tlg86 said:

Article 4 makes it rather difficult to award posthumous prizes:

'Work produced by a person since deceased shall not be considered for an award. If, however, a prizewinner dies before he has received the prize, then the prize may be presented.'

Not impossible, but difficult. In effect they have to be alive at the time of the nomination.
    It is a sad rule. The Scottish engineer Ron Drever actually devised the crucial piece of equipment that allowed for the detection of gravitational waves.

He passed away on 7 March 2017, and his colleagues Weiss and Thorne won the Nobel prize in Autumn 2017. Drever really deserved to be there with them, because the whole experiment would not have worked without him. No Drever, no gravitational wave detection.

The Nobel Committee added a factotum, the American scientist Barry Barish to get the prize, along with Weiss & Thorne.

A Barish is now a generic term of disparagement in the physics community.

A Barish is someone who huffs around, adding little in terms of insight and intuition, but is ready to claim the approbation.

Mr. G, I didn't realise you were in Yorkshire :)

LOL

ydoethur said:

FF43 said:

rcs1000 said:

tlg86 said:

I suspect that if half a mountain has collapsed into itself, then there’ll be some signs on the outside.
    I was thinking more about what might, or might not, have been buried underneath it.

And of course, it is possible for there to be internal falls leaving little initial sign on the surface.

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

tlg86 said:

Assuming the explosion was all North Korea's doing - and it didn't have a bit of a helping hand.....

James Bond always manages to blow up the baddies' lair in the end. Just sayin'.....
    And his punchline on this occasion would have been, 'That assignment rocked.'

I'll get my coat...
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    The EU to get the peace prize?

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

tlg86 said:

Yep, and probably shagged Mrs Kim on the way home...
    Jonathan said:

That would be a real slap in the face for May, but it seems unlikely given how unenthusiastic the Norwegians are about the EU.
    Mr. Sandpit, I'm still mildly peeved that my first two races should've been, or at least could've, been green but for bad luck.
  • YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    Jonathan said:

They have already had it once.

I was working in Brussels when it was announced, at the very dark heart of the EU. The miasma & disgust with which the announcement was greeted by the underlings was palpable.

Only the top EU-antifranks were beaming.

Still, there are two institutions for which I have zero respect -- the EU and the Nobel Peace Prize. They deserve each other.
    Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

tlg86 said:

His sister looks like a candidate for that post (nearly put ‘position')
  • Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    The North Korean main test site is a mess, its considered near un-useable.

Just a note, since it got me compared to some poster called Tapestry. A number of months back I mentioned those well known giants, Moldovan banks, appeared to be large investors into Scotland and that perhaps it needed looking at since there appeared to be some interesting Russian money pumped through it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-43935839

• NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263
    edited April 2018
    ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

That would be a real slap in the face for May, but it seems unlikely given how unenthusiastic the Norwegians are about the EU.
    Norwegian politicians generally think the EU is great (main exceptions are the agrarian Centre Party and the right-wing Progress Party) and would like to rejoin, but they accept that most voters don't want to (but probably don't feel especially anti-EU, they just don't want to be members).

On topic, I think it'd be fair to give Trump and Kim the prize if they do pull it off. The prize isn't for being nice people, it's for making the world safer. And, reluctantly, I suspect that their mutual bellicosity may well have helped get them as far as they have. Some way to go, though!

Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

tlg86 said:

'Which member of North Korea's ruling family would James Bond be most likely to shag? '

I'm sure that the Foreign Office has a crack team working on this right now.

Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

tlg86 said:

Well, the Independent did say she held the 2nd position...
  • Cable on how to win friends - 'The public out there are pretty bigoted'
  • Cable on Marr - some voting Brexit are racist
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Jonathan said:

Getting rid of the UK is definitely an honourable mention.

Cable on Marr - some voting Brexit are racist

Is that a cue for someone to say the Pope's a catholic?
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    edited April 2018
    Sajid Javid’s Windrush fury: ‘It could have been me, my mum or my dad’

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/04/28/sajid-javids-windrush-fury-could-have-mum-dad/

Paywalled, not quite as sensational as the headline, trying to shore up what's left of the minority tory vote on Thursday..

A basket of deplorables?
    edited April 2018
    Ishmael_Z said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/04/28/sajid-javids-windrush-fury-could-have-mum-dad/

Paywalled, not quite as sensational as the headline, trying to shore up what's left of the minority tory vote on Thursday..

I heard that but wasn't sure whether he was saying that was a plus point for the Tories or if it was a bid for Amber Rudd's job.

What's his complaint? That not enough racists voted Remain?
    Y0kel said:

Just a note, since it got me compared to some poster called Tapestry. A number of months back I mentioned those well known giants, Moldovan banks, appeared to be large investors into Scotland and that perhaps it needed looking at since there appeared to be some interesting Russian money pumped through it.

That would be the Westminster controlled money laundering schemes. Westminster have been very reluctant to do anything about it, one wonders why they have not scrapped their SLP scheme, personal interest perhaps.
    malcolmg said:

Y0kel said:

That would be the Westminster controlled money laundering schemes. Westminster have been very reluctant to do anything about it, one wonders why they have not scrapped their SLP scheme, personal interest perhaps.
    Private Eye has been banging on about it for ages.
    Ishmael_Z said:

This does make an important point often missed in discussions here -- the Windrush scandal goes beyond a few hundred people on a particular ship at a particular time. It potentially affects every immigrant ever, and their families. The question is not: are you here legally but rather can you lay your hands on the paperwork to prove it? Documents which you probably never had in the first place because Britain is not that sort of country.

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

Norwegian politicians generally think the EU is great (main exceptions are the agrarian Centre Party and the right-wing Progress Party) and would like to rejoin, but they accept that most voters don't want to (but probably don't feel especially anti-EU, they just don't want to be members).

On topic, I think it'd be fair to give Trump and Kim the prize if they do pull it off. The prize isn't for being nice people, it's for making the world safer. And, reluctantly, I suspect that their mutual bellicosity may well have helped get them as far as they have. Some way to go, though!
    Well, in order to have peace, there first needs to be conflict. You cannot make peace with friends.

I am not too convinced that Trump had much to do with recent events, more the change of government in South Korea, and China finding the whole business tiresome.

Denuclearisation of the peninsula does mean US withdrawal too.

malcolmg said:

Y0kel said:

Private Eye has been banging on about it for ages.
    Yes very odd that Westminster seem keen to keep it in place, or maybe not so odd at all.
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,846

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

One correction Nick. They cannot 'rejoin' as they were never members in the first place.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,585

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

tlg86 said:

That being the case why is Theresa not on the Nobel list?
    Interesting review by Hannan, but as he was in short trousers in Peru, maybe his insight into Seventies Britain isn't great. The Sevenies was the era Britain became a consumerist society:

https://twitter.com/FraserNelson/status/990165374728638464?s=19
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,765

Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

tlg86 said:

'Which member of North Korea's ruling family would James Bond be most likely to shag? '

Surely only Mossad are capable of this?
    Sean_F said:

Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

tlg86 said:

Surely only Mossad are capable of this?
    You are Jeremy Corbyn and I claim my 5 pounds.
    Dr. Foxy, the seventies were the last decade the unions had the whip hand. Once again showing the dangers of having the far left in power (besides the terrible threat to the economy. Not to mention the Jews. And anyone who disagrees with the Word of Chairman Corbyn).

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

tlg86 said:

She is more Darwin list material
    malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

tlg86 said:

LOL!
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038
    Foxy said:

Interesting review by Hannan, but as he was in short trousers in Peru, maybe his insight into Seventies Britain isn't great. The Sevenies was the era Britain became a consumerist society:

Clearly it was a decade when people had more sense than today.

They voted Remain.

Dr. Foxy, the seventies were the last decade the unions had the whip hand. Once again showing the dangers of having the far left in power (besides the terrible threat to the economy. Not to mention the Jews. And anyone who disagrees with the Word of Chairman Corbyn).

MD, it was a great time, I used to get monthly pay rises, beer and cars were cheap and life was great.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,765

The 70's were a good time to grow up, though. Probably the last decade in which children walked to and from school, and were left to their own devices.
    On topic, rather like the Obama Nobel, this has the potential to make the Committee look very foolish. However important those handshakes this week nothing has really changed yet and it would be all too easy to see the Korean Peninsular slop back.into cold war standoff.

If and when denucularisation and disarming occurs then the two Korean leaders will undoubtedly have earned their prize. But I would suggest it would be better to wait for that and give the prize to someone else this year. Personally I would be pushing the King of Jordan who has given so much of his country over to refugee relief from Syria.

Sure, there were momennts of trouble, and Seventies Britain looks a different world, but not all bad. The Yesterday channel is repeating "Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads? always one of my favourites. Comedy, but with great insight.

Sean_F said:

The 70's were a good time to grow up, though. Probably the last decade in which children walked to and from school, and were left to their own devices.
    :+1:

And before computer games and YouTube.

Although we did play pong game on a TV.

Foxy said:

Clearly it was a decade when people had more sense than today.

They voted Remain.
    No more sense. Just more desperation.
    malcolmg said:

MD, it was a great time, I used to get monthly pay rises, beer and cars were cheap and life was great.
    If you liked eating your meal by candlelight.
    Foxy said:

Sure, there were momennts of trouble, and Seventies Britain looks a different world, but not all bad. The Yesterday channel is repeating "Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads? always one of my favourites. Comedy, but with great insight.

The greatest TV comedy of all time.
    malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

tlg86 said:

:)

malcolmg said:

If you liked eating your meal by candlelight.
    Richard , a mere inconvenience, just eat before dark
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    edited April 2018
    Sean_F said:

Son walks to school now. Most do
    Mr. G, less 'cultural appropriation' claptrap too, one imagines. I think the 90s might've had the best of both worlds.
    Foxy said:

I recall the 70’s, since it was I was in my thirties and I recall saying at my 40th birthday party that it seemed a good to be about and what a great group of friends I had.
    As Foxy says, there were some bad things happening, but it was all still going to get better! As per the 60’s.

It was the 80’s when things went wrong.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,770
    This is the Committee who gave Obama a peace prize for, err, not being George W Bush? Think the Donald is right to be sceptical.

The Koreans are probably rightly favourites, so long as they continue to play nice. But if the Donald did bring peace to Korea, the Middle East and whatever we call Burma these days he still wouldn’t get a look in.

I’m surprised anyone takes any notice, other than as a betting opportunity.

Foxy said:

I recall the 70’s, since it was I was in my thirties and I recall saying at my 40th birthday party that it seemed a good to be about and what a great group of friends I had.
    As Foxy says, there were some bad things happening, but it was all still going to get better! As per the 60’s.

The 80s are what saved us from remaining the sick man of Europe forever.

The music was better in the 70s but not much else.
  • RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

Foxy said:

Too true.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,748
    Foxy said:

Hannanism is dependent on myths, once and future, usually accompanied by Elgar and some phony stock photos.
    Jonathan said:

Sean_F said:

Son walks to school now. Most do
    No longer true. Only about 25% do now compared to 75% in the Seventies:

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/only-25-per-cent-of-children-walk-to-school-alone-compared-to-86-per-cent-in-1971-what-went-wrong-8452266.html
  • old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    Clare Hepworth OBE
    @Hepworthclare
    21m21 minutes ago

Hmm.
    Has Vince Cable morphed into the *Miss Havisham* of UK Politics ?
    (Great Expectations)
This discussion has been closed.