Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Tories go into Thursday’s locals in a much better national

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited May 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Tories go into Thursday’s locals in a much better national polling position than when the seats were last fought in 2014

Given that context is everything I thought it might be useful to show the national polling gap between the main two parties this year compared with what it was in 2014 when most of the seats up on Thursday will last fought.

Read the full story here

Comments

• GadflyGadfly Posts: 1,191
    First!
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164
    edited May 2018
    Second.

I suppose the counter argument is that the polls in 2014 might have been wrong - or did the error occur towards the end?
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812
    edited May 2018
    Lib Dems. I mean, third.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,766

Lib Dems. I mean, third.

Hey, that'd be an improvement on 2014 when they were fourth :)
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,841
    The local voting never quite... matches the polls though. Anyway the Tories had a decent 2017 set of local elections so we'll have to see how these go.
  • volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    I have simply had it down at Brandon's Tory troll farm ,undercover.Commenting "Fuck off,Steptoe",25 times a day gets to you in the end, especially when you realise you missed a 33-1 tip from TSE and could have been doing nothing.
    Could Sutton be a surprise LibDem loss?

1. It voted Leave* (unlike Richmond or Kingston)
    2. 2014 was an exceptional year for the LDs in Sutton, where they gained seats
    3. UKIP stood and had an impact in the Borough
    4. The council makeup understates how close it is, with a lot of split wards, and some very marginal LDs over Cons
    5. The LDs are polling no better than 2014, while the Conservatives are well up
    6. There appear to be local factors which may weigh against the LDs

If anybody wants to back the LDs at 1-4 (better than Shadsy's 1-5), I'll take small bets.

* I think. Certainly Burstow's seat voted Leave, and that's most of the Borough
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,979
    Tories are going hard on dustbins. In many (all?) London contests, they are claiming Labour and LibDems are threatening weekly collections. That seems to be their main strategy. It might work, even though it is false. People really do care about their dustbin collections.

LibDems are going for the EU national vote in protest at Brexit. In Barnes, the result is likely to be + or - 200 votes. There are 700 EU nationals in Barnes - many of whom have never voted in a UK election. We are putting them all on our shuttleworth. It could make all the difference - but we need to inform them how to vote. Three crosses etc.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,729

Lib Dems. I mean, third.

I admire your optimism!
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,001
    edited May 2018
    Barnesian said:

Tories are going hard on dustbins. In many (all?) London contests, they are claiming Labour and LibDems are threatening weekly collections. That seems to be their main strategy. It might work, even though it is false. People really do care about their dustbin collections.

LibDems are going for the EU national vote in protest at Brexit. In Barnes, the result is likely to be + or - 200 votes. There are 700 EU nationals in Barnes - many of whom have never voted in a UK election. We are putting them all on our shuttleworth. It could make all the difference - but we need to inform them how to vote. Three crosses etc.

Weekly bin collections - our local authority (Conwy) is moving to once every four weeks shortly.

Though the food waste, plastic, bottles and cardboard remain weekly

I have simply had it down at Brandon's Tory troll farm ,undercover.Commenting "Fuck off,Steptoe",25 times a day gets to you in the end, especially when you realise you missed a 33-1 tip from TSE and could have been doing nothing.

Explain :D ?
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    Well they know more about you than you do about yourself....
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,688
    Barnesian said:

" People really do care about their dustbin collections."(?)

You don't own a house if you doubt this.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,001

Maybe he should date the select committee
    edited May 2018
    Barnesian said:

Wow: I'm surprised its such a small number. That's 1% of the population for a place I would have expected to be much more full of Europeans than the country as a whole.

Edit to add: I'm being dim. I thought Barnes was a council like Richmond Upon Thames, when it's just a part of Richmond...
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    edited May 2018
    It seems incredible to think this is the case, given the shambles the government has been in for at least a year. Outside London set for a good night? I find it hard to believe.
    Barnesian said:

My (non-London) Tory council went 2 weekly for bins yonks ago, I kind of assumed most places already have it.
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,979
    rcs1000 said:

Barnesian said:

Wow: I'm surprised its such a small number. That's 1% of the population for a place I would have expected to be much more full of Europeans than the country as a whole.
    It's about 10% of the electorate. I think you are looking at the constituency or the borough of Richmond. There are 18 wards in Richmond upon Thames. Barnes is just one of them. The winner on Thursday in Barnes will get about 1300-1500 votes depending on turnout. The 700 EU nationals are significant.
    edited May 2018
    I didn't know Match owned basically all of the dating apps...their share price has just gone off the cliff...

Twats....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5677717/Colourful-parades-rallies-place-world-mark-Day.html

The sort of people that are part of the cult here, thankfully our "tradition" of May Day riots have been something that hasn't happened for quite a few years now.
    Barnesian said:

rcs1000 said:

Barnesian said:

It's about 10% of the electorate. I think you are looking at the constituency or the borough of Richmond. There are 18 wards in Richmond upon Thames. Barnes is just one of them. The winner on Thursday in Barnes will get about 1300-1500 votes depending on turnout. The 700 EU nationals are significant.
    I'd already noticed that :)
  • rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038

Maybe he should date the select committee
    I was waiting for the c'tee to ask May to bring him here in handcuffs, under the US-UK extradition treaty.

Twats....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5677717/Colourful-parades-rallies-place-world-mark-Day.html

The sort of people that are part of the cult here, thankfully our "tradition" of May Day riots have been something that hasn't happened for quite a few years now.

I'm almost feeling a bit sorry for the Paris rioters though. Stealing food from a Mackie's and gorging themselves on it? They'll suffer cruel and unusual punishment all right and it will take more then bicarbonate of soda to put it right!
    ydoethur said:

Twats....

I'm almost feeling a bit sorry for the Paris rioters though. Stealing food from a Mackie's and gorging themselves on it? They'll suffer cruel and unusual punishment all right and it will take more then bicarbonate of soda to put it right!
    Hitting McDonalds always seems a bit of a weird one to me....pretty much all the owners of those stores are small business people who own a franchise, not the massive multi-national McDonalds Corp.
  • QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    kle4 said:

It seems incredible to think this is the case, given the shambles the government has been in for at least a year. Outside London set for a good night? I find it hard to believe.

Barnesian said:

My (non-London) Tory council went 2 weekly for bins yonks ago, I kind of assumed most places already have it.
    I live in Tory Trafford, and tbh would vote for anyone other than the BNP if they promised a return to weekly bin collections. It's so bizarrely stressful how near the household comes to filling the wheelie bin each time. And Amazon deliveries with all the packaging!

ydoethur said:

Twats....

Hitting McDonalds always seems a bit of a weird one to me....pretty much all the owners of those stores are small business people who own a franchise, not the massive multi-national McDonalds Corp.
    I just looked that up, and you're absolutely right: 82% of Macdonalds are franchises.
    Quincel said:

kle4 said:

Barnesian said:

I live in Tory Trafford, and tbh would vote for anyone other than the BNP if they promised a return to weekly bin collections. It's so bizarrely stressful how near the household comes to filling the wheelie bin each time. And Amazon deliveries with all the packaging!
    Fortunately I still have my larger bin from before the local councils went unitary and unified their processes, although I imagine at some point the waste vans will change and not be able to take anything but the small bins now offered.

I heard there's a council up north where there are something like 7 different types of waste bin, but here' sit's just 3, thank goodness.
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,005
    Does anyone else think that May Day ought to be our national day/bank holiday? And rather than it being about the Labour movement it could be re-branded as a tribute to the prime minister who delivered Brexit.

As for McDonalds, you wonder about modern protesters. People used to go on hunger strikes now they protest by eating burgers?
  • not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,340
    Omnium said:

Barnesian said:

" People really do care about their dustbin collections."(?)

You don't own a house if you doubt this.
    Weekly landfill waste collections really aren’t necessary anymore given all the options for recycling. Our council does landfill and recycling on alternate weeks and it’s absolutely fine.

The fact that no council took up Eric Pickle’s offer to pay to bring back weekly collections suggest most agree too.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,051
    Quincel said:

kle4 said:

Barnesian said:

It shows how meaningless the governments pledge on plastics was and is.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517
    Quincel said:

kle4 said:

Barnesian said:

We have fortnightly bin collections, split between black bins for general waste one week, and green bins (food/vegetation waste) and blue bins (recycling) the next. We never used to fill up the black bin until we had a baby, and then it would be filled each week. And the smell in summer would be something else ...

It is a good reason to want to get potty training over and done with. And once you've mastered it, to teach your child as well ... ;)
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    FPT
    Single mother of Parliaments, mature with two houses, WLTM young billionaire. Hosting only.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 11,182
    Quincel said:

kle4 said:

Barnesian said:

I also live in Trafford. The solution is to have a third child. The council give you an 80 litre grey bin.
    edited May 2018
    In Islington I get my rubbish picked up five times a week.
  • ExiledInScotlandExiledInScotland Posts: 1,501

I didn't know Match owned basically all of the dating apps...their share price has just gone off the cliff...

Is that a Lib Dem graph?

Does anyone else think that May Day ought to be our national day/bank holiday? And rather than it being about the Labour movement it could be re-branded as a tribute to the prime minister who delivered Brexit.

I thought Union day would have been appropriate for the outcome of the Sindy Ref, a national celebration and a bank holiday in the latter part of the year too, when there are too many earlier. But I didn't want to tempt fate.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,755
    kle4 said:

Barnesian said:

People look at the alternative, and decide to keep a hold of nurse.
    I had heard rubbish is collected every day in Venice, which sounds expensive.
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

As for McDonalds, you wonder about modern protesters. People used to go on hunger strikes now they protest by eating burgers?

No, by vandalising burger restaurants - unless you are seeing very different news reports from me.
    Cookie said:

Quincel said:

kle4 said:

Barnesian said:

I also live in Trafford. The solution is to have a third child. The council give you an 80 litre grey bin.
    Seems a bit of an extreme solution.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,051
    rcs1000 said:

Could Sutton be a surprise LibDem loss?

1. It voted Leave* (unlike Richmond or Kingston)
    2. 2014 was an exceptional year for the LDs in Sutton, where they gained seats
    3. UKIP stood and had an impact in the Borough
    4. The council makeup understates how close it is, with a lot of split wards, and some very marginal LDs over Cons
    5. The LDs are polling no better than 2014, while the Conservatives are well up
    6. There appear to be local factors which may weigh against the LDs

If anybody wants to back the LDs at 1-4 (better than Shadsy's 1-5), I'll take small bets.

* I think. Certainly Burstow's seat voted Leave, and that's most of the Borough

Lib Dems currently hold 43 of 53 Sutton Council seats, and have a Local MP in Tom Brake who held on in the Tsunamis of 2015 and 2017.

Even allowing for a few losses, that sounds pretty safe.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,262

Is that a Lib Dem graph?
    Nah, it's only showing a 9% drop. :smile:
    Cookie said:

Quincel said:

kle4 said:

Barnesian said:

Can we file that under "perverse incentive"?
  • ExiledInScotlandExiledInScotland Posts: 1,501
    edited May 2018
    Cookie said:

Quincel said:

kle4 said:

Barnesian said:

In Edinburgh the council have voted to bring in a £25 annual charge to pick up the garden waste bin every 2 weeks. We will have to register to pay for something they collect already. Those who don't register will have to dispose of their own garden waste. Guess what will go into most people's landfill bins - or get quietly added to the neighbour's garden waste bins. Cue lots of angry people. Muppets.

Is that a Lib Dem graph?
    Nah, it's only showing a 9% drop. :smile:
    In fairness the drop (or proportion) on a LD graph never shows the percentage drop/proportion, even if it does mention it. That's part of the point of their charm.
    rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

Twats....

I just looked that up, and you're absolutely right: 82% of Macdonalds are franchises.
    As an aside, the movie the Founder about the origins of McDonalds is actually quite good.

Cookie said:

Quincel said:

kle4 said:

Barnesian said:

In Edinburgh the council have voted to bring in a £25 annual charge to pick up the garden waste bin every 2 weeks. We will have to register to pay for something they collect already. Those who don't register will have to dispose of their own garden waste. Guess what will go into most people's landfill bins. Muppets.
    Did that round my way too. Apparently take up was better than expected. I didn't cut my grass for a year (I wouldn't advise people put it in the landfill bins - they will check, at least initially, and refuse to pick up your waste).
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,005

Please tell me that is a joke.

On internet dating - didn't Mr Thomas of this parish once write about his interesting experiences of it. He once recommended to me (in about 2008) that I give it a try, a time when it wasn't quite considered 'normal.'
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,392
    3.789%, 1.818%.

I humbly suggest that OGH looks up the difference between accuracy and precision.

Enough of being picky, I agree entirely with the sentiment of the header.
    edited May 2018

Cookie said:

Quincel said:

kle4 said:

Barnesian said:

In Edinburgh the council have voted to bring in a £25 annual charge to pick up the garden waste bin every 2 weeks. We will have to register to pay for something they collect already. Those who don't register will have to dispose of their own garden waste. Guess what will go into most people's landfill bins - or get quietly added to the neighbour's garden waste bins. Cue lots of angry people. Muppets.
    Our council charge £65 for garden waste service; stop whinging.
    Quincel said:

kle4 said:

Barnesian said:

Surely you have a cardboard recycling service?

On internet dating - didn't Mr Thomas of this parish once write about his interesting experiences of it. He once recommended to me (in about 2008) that I give it a try, a time when it wasn't quite considered 'normal.'
    I’m afraid it’s not a joke. But it’s only true of my very specific bit, which is treated as a business district.
  • david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,401

Yes.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Millions-Women-are-Waiting-Meet/dp/0747585563

On internet dating, it's how I met my wife. It can work; it doesn't always.
  • kle4 said:

Cookie said:

Quincel said:

kle4 said:

Barnesian said:

In Edinburgh the council have voted to bring in a £25 annual charge to pick up the garden waste bin every 2 weeks. We will have to register to pay for something they collect already. Those who don't register will have to dispose of their own garden waste. Guess what will go into most people's landfill bins. Muppets.
    Did that round my way too. Apparently take up was better than expected. I didn't cut my grass for a year (I wouldn't advise people put it in the landfill bins - they will check, at least initially, and refuse to pick up your waste).
    Our garden bins cost 15 quid when it was set up a few years ago. It was 27 quid for the past 2 years, but this year has gone up to 40 effing quid!. And the council wonder why flytipping is on the up.
    I am guessing seanT is back to trying out the apps these days...
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,392
    We have alternating collections of recyclables and general waste. Works OK.

We also have a charge for garden waste collection but we don't generate too much and just take it to the tip ourselves.

That's with a Tory council.
    Foxy said:

Quincel said:

kle4 said:

Barnesian said:

It shows how meaningless the governments pledge on plastics was and is.
    How does it show that? Not that it's a central government issue anyway, but giving households enough capacity to take all their rubbish but only by a stressfully small margin, is precisely the best strategy to induce waste reduction. Amazon packaging is cardboard anyway.

Yes.

I met my wife on Match.com.
    Re rubbish collections. If I hadn't left London for LA, I was going to start up an "app based" private rubbish collection service, where you sign up for £40/year, and then pay £3/bag. You schedule your collections, and we automatically route the truck. (We'd have bright Red bags that you purchased for your trash, which would result in a negative working capital model.)

I reckoned you could probably make about £300,000/year per truck, after landfill fees (but before salaries).
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,715

I thoiught all was sweetness and light again?
  • MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,921
    edited May 2018

I’m afraid it’s not a joke. But it’s only true of my very specific bit, which is treated as a business district.
    I had the same when I lived just off Great Russell st (Camden council). I think it is a public health issue, isn't it?
    edited May 2018
    rcs1000 said:

Re rubbish collections. If I hadn't left London for LA, I was going to start up an "app based" private rubbish collection service, where you sign up for £40/year, and then pay £3/bag. You schedule your collections, and we automatically route the truck. (We'd have bright Red bags that you purchased for your trash, which would result in a negative working capital model.)

I reckoned you could probably make about £300,000/year per truck, after landfill fees (but before salaries).

Don’t they normally have a crew of 4-5? Given London salaries, that doesn’t seem like much for profit margin.

3.789%, 1.818%.

I humbly suggest that OGH looks up the difference between accuracy and precision.

Enough of being picky, I agree entirely with the sentiment of the header.

Reminds me of an old boss who used to tell us "if you're going to make a figure up, make sure it's not a round number" - accuracy implied by precision.

Might be, Hard to keep up....
  • AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited May 2018

You can bet the same ******s engaged in such crusades against global capitalism will make sure to post it all on Facebook/Twatter from their £1000 Iphones, while sipping a Starbucks.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263
    kle4 said:

I'm in a complex of flats by Haslemere - we have numerous rubbish bins in a separate small compund, and put bags in whenever we feel like it. I've no idea how often the council picks them up, but often enough that there's no problem. I've seen the same on many council estates. Seems a lot more sensible than all this hassle with doorstep collection. A bit trickier in areas with houses spaced far apart, of course.
    Gavin Williamson hasn’t been burnishing his leadership credentials tonight. He seems to be Jim Hacker’s reincarnation, as interpreted by Alan Partridge.
    edited May 2018
    rcs1000 said:

Yes.

I met my wife on Match.com.
    I met my wife over a warm signal generator.

Edit: (We think an HP 8644a)
    rcs1000 said:

Why would anyone opt for private collection? Apart from garden rubbish* I am not aware that you can opt out of the council collection and save a proportion of your council tax.

(* £46 per year for fortnightly collections here, versus the £118 it would cost using your pricing model.)

I don't need to know more about running nude through the woods playing the bongos.
  • volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    The betting markets are now up for this summer's World Cup should it take place.Geo-politically,the hosts,Russia have an advantage,like the Eurovision Song Contest,and the refs will probably be ex-KGB agents,so I make Russia a tradeable asset at 16-1 to win and for them to win their group with maximum points.
    As far as basketball is concerned,my Lithuanian taxi-driver told me his team would overcome Spain to beat Putin's Russia for the championships.

kle4 said:

I'm in a complex of flats by Haslemere - we have numerous rubbish bins in a separate small compund, and put bags in whenever we feel like it. I've no idea how often the council picks them up, but often enough that there's no problem. I've seen the same on many council estates. Seems a lot more sensible than all this hassle with doorstep collection. A bit trickier in areas with houses spaced far apart, of course.
    I was in portugal over the Christmas and the area I was staying had a very good solution. Houses put their various rubbish / recycling into what looked like small bins at an area on the corner of the street. Except they were false bins, as there was a large set of industrial bin buried underground. Then when the binmen came they removed the false floor and tipped the industrial bins into the back of the lorry.

rcs1000 said:

Don’t they normally have a crew of 4-5? Given London salaries, that doesn’t seem like much for profit margin.
    You'd need a crew of three - one driver and two collectors. The collectors would only have to work the route time itself, but the driver would also have to go on to the landfill site. I estimated that collectors would work six hours a day at an all-in cost of £15/hour, and the driver would work eight at £25. That's a pretty healthy profit margin.

Gavin Williamson hasn’t been burnishing his leadership credentials tonight. He seems to be Jim Hacker’s reincarnation, as interpreted by Alan Partridge.

Can I just say that's a brilliant line.

rcs1000 said:

Why would anyone opt for private collection? Apart from garden rubbish* I am not aware that you can opt out of the council collection and save a proportion of your council tax.

(* £46 per year for fortnightly collections here, versus the £118 it would cost using your pricing model.)
    It's an additional service that people would use from time-to-time. If you'd had a kids birthday party and now had a tonne of trash to clear away, then paying £3 to someone to add your house to the route is a bargain.

Mortimer said:

I had the same when I lived just off Great Russell st (Camden council). I think it is a public health issue, isn't it?
    My London flat is on Charlotte Street and there are collections 2-3 times a day.
    kle4 said:

I don't need to know more about running nude through the woods playing the bongos.
    Never heard it called that before!
    edited May 2018
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

You'd need a crew of three - one driver and two collectors. The collectors would only have to work the route time itself, but the driver would also have to go on to the landfill site. I estimated that collectors would work six hours a day at an all-in cost of £15/hour, and the driver would work eight at £25. That's a pretty healthy profit margin.
    I am sure you have properly researched this but a quick google search shows for instance in Birmingham they use 5 man crews who make about £45k a year....And they have famously been striking for more cash.

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

I am sure you have properly researched this but a quick google search shows for instance in Birmingham they use 5 man crews who make about £45k a year....And they have famously been striking for more cash.
    The model is very different though: they are collecting a high density of trash, from nearly every home. And they are - effectively - being paid only 15-20p/bag, against our £3.

Our truck is collecting much less trash, and so having more people on the truck wouldn't help you. They'd be sitting around if there was only one house in 20 with collections, and then had a single bag.
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

It's an additional service that people would use from time-to-time. If you'd had a kids birthday party and now had a tonne of trash to clear away, then paying £3 to someone to add your house to the route is a bargain.

Ah I see. £3 per bag is a bargain, I agree. The £40/year and having to purchase the bags might be a disincentive but I'm the person who thought mobile phones would never catch-on so you can safely ignore my scepticism. :wink:

rcs1000 said:

For the same reason that anyone uses private provision of services that the state also offers; convenience, not wanting to wait, etc.

Bins aren't a big deal for us - but we're only two in a two bedroom house, without kids, and get most of our food delivered to the door by Abel and Cole, so it is largely not covered in wrapping, and in boxes that the company then takes away. People live different lives, and so have different needs.

It's not all bad. 6% think he has what it takes to be PM.
    rcs1000 said:

Mortimer said:

My London flat is on Charlotte Street and there are collections 2-3 times a day.
    Luxury!
    Sean_F said:

I think that's the proportion of dyslexics in the population.
    From the Beeb:

The 200-year-old book printers that produced the bestselling Harry Potter series has been sold for close to £24. Clays Ltd prints and binds 150 million books every year at its 19-acre production and distribution site in Bungay, Suffolk.

For just £24, can I please nominate for bargain of the century? Would be impressive to beat that in the next 82 years. It knocks the Louisiana Purchase into a cocked hat.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/business-43924576?app=news.business.live_coverage.43924576.page&ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=twitter&ns_campaign=bbc_live&ns_linkname=5ae89d68e60e5d067b752818&Harry Potter book printers sold&&ns_fee=0#post_5ae89d68e60e5d067b752818
    Since moving I signed up to the garden waste collection, we've missed it the last few weeks as we thought it was the same day as the recycling or landfill.
    Apparently it is Mondays D:
    Sean_F said:

The immediate points of comparison are May, Cameron, Corbyn, Miliband and Brown.

The Government of all the talents they ain't.
    From the BBC:
    "Remarks by Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas about the Holocaust have been condemned as anti-Semitic by Israeli politicians and rights activists.

Mr Abbas told a meeting in the West Bank the Nazi mass murder of European Jews was the result of their financial activities, not anti-Semitism."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-43967600

Urrrm, no, BBC. I am not an Israeli politician, and I am not a rights activist, and that is absolutely anti-Semitic. End of.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038
    "At a time when Labour’s poll lead should be in double figures, the party is running neck and neck with an accident-prone government whose ministers appear to be fighting like ferrets in a sack."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/05/01/last-week-saw-glimpse-labour-party-jeremy-corbyn-threw-away/

From the BBC:
    "Remarks by Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas about the Holocaust have been condemned as anti-Semitic by Israeli politicians and rights activists.

Mr Abbas told a meeting in the West Bank the Nazi mass murder of European Jews was the result of their financial activities, not anti-Semitism."

Urrrm, no, BBC. I am not an Israeli politician, and I am not a rights activist, and that is absolutely anti-Semitic. End of.

In a strange way though that is progress. He used to be a full-blown Irving/Faurisson/Eisen style Holocaust denier.
    ydoethur said:

From the BBC:

In a strange way though that is progress. He used to be a full-blown Irving/Faurisson/Eisen style Holocaust denier.
    I expect Abbas to be a git. It's the BBC putting weasel clauses in that pi**es me off.
    edited May 2018

ydoethur said:

From the BBC:

I expect Abbas to be a git. It's the BBC putting weasel clauses in that pi**es me off.
    Give the Wisemann a moment and he'll tell us the Beeb are correct, because it's only anti-Zionism.

Yes, I know I am being flippant.

ydoethur said:

From the BBC:

They are not weasel clauses. The BBC is reporting what has happened. Abbas made the comments, the people who have responded are quoted.

If they put 'And most right thinking people would agree with them' at the end, then that isn't reporting, it's a comment.
    2-2 at the Bernabeu - Real facing a nervy 20 mins!
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

From the BBC:

Give the Wisemann a moment and he'll tell us the Beeb are correct, because it's only anti-Zionism.

Yes, I know I am being flippant.
    I remember Paul Johnson once cited an Egyptian newspaper article which managed to argue that the Holocaust never happened, but if it did happen, it was justified, but was probably carried out by Zionists in any case.
    rcs1000 said:

Mortimer said:

Charlotte Street? As in the Lloyd Cole song. Cool.

ydoethur said:

From the BBC:

They are not weasel clauses. The BBC is reporting what has happened. Abbas made the comments, the people who have responded are quoted.

If they put 'And most right thinking people would agree with them' at the end, then that isn't reporting, it's a comment.
    They should just put: "Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas has made anti-Semitic comments."

That would be accurate, and would stop gits from seeing who has criticised the comments, and disregarding their complaints because they don't like the groups involved.

I think most of us would agree that the comments are anti-Semitic. The BBC should say they are anti-Semitic.
    Sean_F said:

Remember that the "Have you ever been decapitated?" factor is a constant 4%. So 2% real.
  • nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138
    nunuone said:
    They say the poll is "competitive".....
This discussion has been closed.