Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Tories go into Thursday’s locals in a much better national

Comments

• JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Hannan is such a blowhard.
  • volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    Abbas does the Palestinian people no favours and shows his unfitness for dialogue with Israel.Turkey's response maybe hostile either way.Peace remains in the distant horizon.Perhaps,the only call left is to ask China to mediate on behalf of the UN.
  • alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    edited May 2018
    Oh dear

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-43967600

I thought he was supposed to be a “moderate”?

edit: pipped to the post I now see...
  • justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    I am expecting the Tories to do ok on Thursday - just as they did in both 1960 & 1961 in the early part of the 1959 Parliament.
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Zugzwang is a nasty, foreign sort of word, but likely to enter the English language in the coming year.
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 24,967
    justin124 said:

I am expecting the Tories to do ok on Thursday - just as they did in both 1960 & 1961 in the early part of the 1959 Parliament.

If you're right in saying that there was a swing to the Conservatives in 1960 from 1959 then they did considerably better than 'ok' in 1960.
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    He has figured out that at least one form of Brexit is worse than remain.

He may eventually realise that is true for all forms of Brexit, but not soon...
    More banking jobs to be lost:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43964273

But yet again its only prole jobs in prole towns so no need for PB Remainers to be concerned.
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Cyclefree said:
    http://catholicherald.co.uk/news/2018/04/30/cardinal-nichols-says-alfie-evans-case-used-for-political-aims/
    (nonpaywalled, for the impoverished). He is quite right, though when he says ‘used for political aims’ he means ‘used for religious aims.’
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,281

But yet again its only prole jobs in prole towns so no need for PB Remainers to be concerned.

WTF? Are you suggesting this is the EU's fault?
    The Fink on the vote last night. Sensible Brexiteers should take note. The first rule of politics is be able to count.

In politics you have to assemble a majority where and when you need it. Shouting at people who fail to provide it may be cathartic, but beyond that it doesn’t get you anywhere. Better instead to calmly contemplate the parliamentary maths. Not the maths as you wish them to be, but the maths as they are.

The Lords you can put to one side. The Lords won’t stop Brexit and will ultimately comply with the decision of MPs. So what matters is the maths in the Commons. And here the government simply doesn’t have the support to drive through the sort of Brexit that the most vocal leavers want.

Some sort of compromise on customs arrangements will be necessary, as will sufficient compromises to get the EU to agree a deal. The Commons will not sign off on a no-deal Brexit. It’s fine to be angry about that if you wish and to argue that it defies the wishes of the voters (although, as it happens, I don’t think voters expressed a view on future customs arrangements). It’s fine, but pointless. Being cross doesn’t change the position.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/comment/brexiteers-defining-battle-will-be-with-mps-zbmhw8l5z
    Pulpstar said:

Since moving I signed up to the garden waste collection, we've missed it the last few weeks as we thought it was the same day as the recycling or landfill.
    Apparently it is Mondays D:

Its one thing local councils having confusing bin collections.

But why can't they all have identical confusing bin collections.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074
    Ishmael_Z said:

Cyclefree said:
    http://catholicherald.co.uk/news/2018/04/30/cardinal-nichols-says-alfie-evans-case-used-for-political-aims/
    (nonpaywalled, for the impoverished). He is quite right, though when he says ‘used for political aims’ he means ‘used for religious aims.’
    Quite. But good that he has spoken out. These loons who attach themselves to these very sad cases do the parents, let alone the poor children, no favours whatsoever. And they are being hugely unkind to the doctors and nurses involved. So good to see the Cardinal recognise their efforts and speak up for their medical expertise.

Of course not.

I'm merely contrasting the actual thousands of banking jobs lost year after year throughout the country without general concern with the huffing and puffing about potential banking job losses to Frankfurt. **

** And which is now down to a maximum of 5,000 it seems:

https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-britain-eu-city-finance/5000-uk-finance-jobs-may-be-moved-by-brexit-half-earlier-forecast-reuters-idUKKBN1H40ZV
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517
    Cyclefree said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Cyclefree said:
    Quite. But good that he has spoken out. These loons who attach themselves to these very sad cases do the parents, let alone the poor children, no favours whatsoever. And they are being hugely unkind to the doctors and nurses involved. So good to see the Cardinal recognise their efforts and speak up for their medical expertise.
    +1

I have spoken highly of Pope Francis in the past. But he has utterly got this wrong, especially given his previous reported words on such topics.

As a side issue, IMO in this country we need to have a big and difficult conversation about death and quality of life.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,002
    Scott_P said:

The Fink on the vote last night. Sensible Brexiteers should take note. The first rule of politics is be able to count.

In politics you have to assemble a majority where and when you need it. Shouting at people who fail to provide it may be cathartic, but beyond that it doesn’t get you anywhere. Better instead to calmly contemplate the parliamentary maths. Not the maths as you wish them to be, but the maths as they are.

The Lords you can put to one side. The Lords won’t stop Brexit and will ultimately comply with the decision of MPs. So what matters is the maths in the Commons. And here the government simply doesn’t have the support to drive through the sort of Brexit that the most vocal leavers want.

Some sort of compromise on customs arrangements will be necessary, as will sufficient compromises to get the EU to agree a deal. The Commons will not sign off on a no-deal Brexit. It’s fine to be angry about that if you wish and to argue that it defies the wishes of the voters (although, as it happens, I don’t think voters expressed a view on future customs arrangements). It’s fine, but pointless. Being cross doesn’t change the position.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/comment/brexiteers-defining-battle-will-be-with-mps-zbmhw8l5z

I have largely been making that point over the last few days

It is the march of online banking just like on line shopping
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,068
    Scott_P said:
    Not much seems to shift anything pollwise at the moment, just reinforces existing views.
  • dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,279
    edited May 2018
    Beaten to it.

Duplicate Com Res post.
    Foxy said:

Scott_P said:
    Not much seems to shift anything pollwise at the moment, just reinforces existing views.
    That they're all crap.
    daniel clarke - @djoeclarke: Big story from @xtophercook and @LucindaCDay on @BBCNewsnight tonight - tune in at 2230

justin124 said:

If you're right in saying that there was a swing to the Conservatives in 1960 from 1959 then they did considerably better than 'ok' in 1960.
    The Tories certainly made gains from Labour in 1960 and 1961. In the latter year there were actually two sets of local elections - the County Councils elected in April followed by Urban and Borough elections in May.
    dr_spyn said:

Beaten to it.

Duplicate Com Res post.

I have never been a great fan of Comres in the past.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    rcs1000 said:

In Islington I get my rubbish picked up five times a week.

Please tell me that is a joke.

On internet dating - didn't Mr Thomas of this parish once write about his interesting experiences of it. He once recommended to me (in about 2008) that I give it a try, a time when it wasn't quite considered 'normal.'
    Yes.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Millions-Women-are-Waiting-Meet/dp/0747585563

On internet dating, it's how I met my wife. It can work; it doesn't always.
    I met my wife on Match.com.
    Does she know yet?

;-)
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    Scott_P said:
    No matter how often I see such big disparities, it never ceases to amaze me. I know some very right wing younger people, and some increasingly very left wing older people, I'm sure we all do, and yet the splits are so huge overall.
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

The Tories certainly made gains from Labour in 1960 and 1961. In the latter year there were actually two sets of local elections - the County Councils elected in April followed by Urban and Borough elections in May.
    But making gains compared to the previous set of local elections in, I assume, 1956, 1957 or 1958 ie mid term during the 1955-1959 Conservative government.

What we might see this week is a swing to the governing party from the last general election and that's something which is very unusual. Perhaps it happened in 1965 during the first Wilson government.

It is the march of online banking just like on line shopping
    Indeed. Banks are likely to become solely on-line businesses withing 10-15 years imo.
  • brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    No matter how often I see such big disparities, it never ceases to amaze me. I know some very right wing younger people, and some increasingly very left wing older people, I'm sure we all do, and yet the splits are so huge overall.
    I expect there are quite big splits regionally. I bet the Labour lead amongst the young is much higher in London say than the midlands or soith west - and vice versa with pensioners.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,787
    Brexit was meant to be a moment of renewal, but it's been turned into a morale-sapping mess

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/05/01/brexit-meant-moment-renewal-turned-morale-sapping-mess/
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,231
    Pulpstar said:

Cookie said:

Quincel said:

kle4 said:

It seems incredible to think this is the case, given the shambles the government has been in for at least a year. Outside London set for a good night? I find it hard to believe.

Barnesian said:

Tories are going hard on dustbins. In many (all?) London contests, they are claiming Labour and LibDems are threatening weekly collections. That seems to be their main strategy. It might work, even though it is false. People really do care about their dustbin collections.

LibDems are going for the EU national vote in protest at Brexit. In Barnes, the result is likely to be + or - 200 votes. There are 700 EU nationals in Barnes - many of whom have never voted in a UK election. We are putting them all on our shuttleworth. It could make all the difference - but we need to inform them how to vote. Three crosses etc.

My (non-London) Tory council went 2 weekly for bins yonks ago, I kind of assumed most places already have it.
    I live in Tory Trafford, and tbh would vote for anyone other than the BNP if they promised a return to weekly bin collections. It's so bizarrely stressful how near the household comes to filling the wheelie bin each time. And Amazon deliveries with all the packaging!
    I also live in Trafford. The solution is to have a third child. The council give you an 80 litre grey bin.
    Seems a bit of an extreme solution.
    Indeed. Most people use cots for their newborns.
    Scott_P said:

hts://twitter.com/anthonyjwells/status/991425951497097218

What a really odd headline. 'Here's some positive spin for you, Mrs May! But please god don't get carried away!'
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    Home ownership.

See chart 7:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41684812
    brendan16 said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    I expect there are quite big splits regionally. I bet the Labour lead amongst the young is much higher in London say than the midlands or soith west - and vice versa with pensioners.
    Labour are doing much better in the SW than they used to - I would not be surprised if the LDs have lost the anti-Tory vote among the young they probably used to get, and that will start to hit them in locals down the line.
    edited May 2018

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

But making gains compared to the previous set of local elections in, I assume, 1956, 1957 or 1958 ie mid term during the 1955-1959 Conservative government.

What we might see this week is a swing to the governing party from the last general election and that's something which is very unusual. Perhaps it happened in 1965 during the first Wilson government.
    Prior to the reform of local government in the early 1970s councillors were elected for 3 year - rather than 4 year terms.Every third year there were two sets of elections - ie for County Councils elected in April. Thus, the seats fought in 1960 & 1961 had last become vacant in 1957 & 1958..
    In May 1965 the Tories actually regained some of the ground lost in May 1962! May 1966 also saw significant Tory gains - despite the landslide Labour victory on 31st March a few weeks earlier.
  • El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    Noticeable uptick for the Lib Dems in this week's polls.
    Scott_P said:
    "Nearly half the voters (46%) think Britain's economy would be weaker if the Labour leader replaced her in Downing Street"

Is that some kind of Trinity Mirror inspired spoof article?
    And tonight labour want to up the anti against TM on Windrush but all they are doing is confirming in voters eyes their opposition to controlling illegal immigration and immigration in general
  • MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,921
    edited May 2018
    Scott_P said:

There have been two votes on the customs union already.

The Govt have won both.

Apart from the pitch (and frequency) of some people's whining, what has changed?
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Prior to the reform of local government in the early 1970s councillors were elected for 3 year - rather than 4 year terms.Every third year there were two sets of elections - ie for County Councils elected in April. Thus, the seats fought in 1960 & 1961 had last become vacant in 1957 & 1958..
    In May 1965 the Tories actually regained some of the ground lost in May 1962!
    Its certainly possible that there was a Labour to Conservative swing between LE1962 and LE1965 but a Conservative to Labour swing between GE1964 and LE1965.

Likewise I imagine LE1957 would have been pretty bad for the Conservatives in the aftermath of the Suez debacle.

Scott_P said:
    "Nearly half the voters (46%) think Britain's economy would be weaker if the Labour leader replaced her in Downing Street"

See the merger has been called in by the culture committee over plurality of the press

And tonight labour want to up the anti against TM on Windrush but all they are doing is confirming in voters eyes their opposition to controlling illegal immigration and immigration in general

Whisper it quietly, but I suspect @Danny555 is bang on when he suggests that the Windrush focus isn't going to help Labour in the Locals....
    Mortimer said:

Scott_P said:

The Govt have won both.

Apart from the pitch (and frequency) of some people's whining, what has changed?
    I don't know, but you're right that the whining from the likes of Hannan, JRM, Jenkin, Fysh and IDS has reached fever pitch.

Scott_P said:

So 54% think it will be the same or better under Jezza?
  • nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    If the Tory lead with over 65's is really 11% bigger than Labour's lead with the yoof then more reason to expect them to overpreform expectations.

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

In May 1965 the Tories actually regained some of the ground lost in May 1962!
    Its certainly possible that there was a Labour to Conservative swing between LE1962 and LE1965 but a Conservative to Labour swing between GE1964 and LE1965.

Likewise I imagine LE1957 would have been pretty bad for the Conservatives in the aftermath of the Suez debacle.
    From memory, I don't believe that the local election results in the mid-60s coincided with the opinion polls to any great extent. However, that was also the case last year when the projected Tory lead of 11% was barely half what polls were recording at the time.
    Foxy said:

Scott_P said:

Don't forget the DKs!
    Foxy said:

Scott_P said:

Tbf, I assume there are some don't knows.

Noticeable uptick for the Lib Dems in this week's polls.

Yes, we usually see an uptick for them just before local elections.

Mortimer said:

Scott_P said:

The Govt have won both.

I don't know, but you're right that the whining from the likes of Hannan, JRM, Jenkin, Fysh and IDS has reached fever pitch.
    I do not agree with your love of all things EU but it is clear there is a coordinated move by the EU, some in the HOC and more in the HOL to prevent us cutting our ties with the EU and the parliamentary maths looks like they will get their way

But the consequences could be very nasty as 17 million voters feel betrayed

Foxy said:

Scott_P said:

Tbf, I assume there are some don't knows.
    Shh!, just trolling the PpB Tories :)
    edited May 2018

Scott_P said:

See the merger has been called in by the culture committee over plurality of the press
    Earlier this evening news broke that The Mirror / Express deal was being referred.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43963099

BBC Newsnight appear to be looking at Bercow and bullying allegations.
    kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Scott_P said:

Don't forget the DKs!
    In fact none of us know - but most are probably prepared to guess one way or the other.
    Foxy said:

Scott_P said:

Good try
    Just what the new Home Secretary needs... Advice from Nick Timothy.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/6181138/being-home-secretary-full-of-political-risk/
  • JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    Foxy said:

Scott_P said:

https://twitter.com/Andrew_ComRes/status/991427080125583360?s=20

Mortimer said:

Scott_P said:

The Govt have won both.

I do not agree with your love of all things EU but it is clear there is a coordinated move by the EU, some in the HOC and more in the HOL to prevent us cutting our ties with the EU and the parliamentary maths looks like they will get their way

Nasty in what way? We will leave the EU, which is what the 17 million voted for. Beyond that, it was never clear.
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,846
    Scott_P said:

Only lunatics like you and Williamglenn think remaining in the EU would be a viable option.
  • ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886
    Looks like Bercow may be sunk. His secretary is describing how badly he treated him.

Scott_P said:

Only lunatics like you and Williamglenn think remaining in the EU would be a viable option.
    Of course it's a 'viable option'. It's just not going to happen. Instead we will have BINO.
  • MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Mortimer said:

Scott_P said:

The Govt have won both.

Nasty in what way? We will leave the EU, which is what the 17 million voted for. Beyond that, it was never clear.

Leaving the CU was clearly stated as a consequence of Leave.

Scott_P said:

Not only is it viable, it's inevitable.

Mortimer said:

Scott_P said:

The Govt have won both.

So was £350m extra for the NHS and that's not going to happen either.

Mortimer said:

Scott_P said:

The Govt have won both.

Not by everyone. Indeed it was widely discussed along with EFTA as a solution.

The referendum result covered everything from soft as silk Brexit to hard as diamonds Brexit and everything inbetween.
  • hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591

Scott_P said:

I look forward to your crocodile tears when your rose tinted spectacle EU wet dream comes crashing down in flames - well it already is in many regards.
  • MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Mortimer said:

Scott_P said:

The Govt have won both.

So was £350m extra for the NHS and that's not going to happen either.

Leaving the CU was the government's official position, as a consequence of Brexit. I do still have the leaflet they sent out to everyone.

Scott_P said:

hps://twitter.com/AllieHBNews/status/991432500613386247

The express talking her up but warning not to go to a GE, the Mail talking up her admirable instincts but warning her not to fudge things. I'm sensing a pattern.
    By election in Buckingham?
  • ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886
    So two private secretaries to Bercow, one, a former submariner has strongly accused Bercow of being a bully, and the second retired with PTSD after less than a year.
    hunchman said:

Scott_P said:

I look forward to your crocodile tears when your rose tinted spectacle EU wet dream comes crashing down in flames - well it already is in many regards.
    I admire william keeping good humour at least, unlike too many.
    Scott_P said:
    My first indication today that the Customs Partnership idea was sunk was when I heard on waking that Hammond was supporting it. Kiss of death for most Brexit related ideas so far...

The ERG won't have it, the press are against it, the people won't wear it. Guess that cabinet sub committee meeting will be short...
  • david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,401

Scott_P said:

Of course it's a 'viable option'. It's just not going to happen. Instead we will have BINO.
    It's not politically viable. Nor morally. But for practical purposes, it's the political one that matters.
    Scott_P said:
    Is anyone surprised that he is a bully?
    Mortimer said:

Whisper it quietly, but I suspect @Danny555 is bang on when he suggests that the Windrush focus isn't going to help Labour in the Locals....
    Agreed - usually Tories come off best when the focus is on immigration as it has been over the past week, even with the wretched former Home Secretary gone.

Scott_P said:

The EU needs more going for it than crushing inevitability, I continue to be baffled why you consider describing it in such a way is a good thing - it certainly doesn't help people accept that inevitability, which just frustrates matters.
    edited May 2018
    hunchman said:

Mortimer said:

Agreed - usually Tories come off best when the focus is on immigration as it has been over the past week, even with the wretched former Home Secretary gone.
    I think that you may be right in parts of the country. Less so in others. The divide showed well in the Channel 4 news piece with Chuka and Gale:

https://twitter.com/ChukaUmunna/status/991386383314030594?s=19
    dr_spyn said:
    Seems like if he really has behaved in such a way there will soon be plenty of others to corroborate it, since if you behave that way with one, you probably do with others. If he has gone on angry, foul mouthed tirades and the like, but is denying it because he doesn't think that counted as bullying, then he might be in trouble I suppose.
    I have a choice between Tory, Labour, Lib Dem and Green on Thursday. Who do you vote for if you're broadly centre right, detest the Tories for a) financial and moral corruption, b) foreign policy, detest the Lib Dems for their EU fanaticism, detest Labour for most things, not least socialism as a completely flawed ideology and detest the Greens for their man made climate change nonsense?
  • JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    edited May 2018
    My pet kangaroo is jumping up and down on top of my harpsichord

boing boing boing

But the stuff about Bercow is obvious

By the way, does Harry Hayfield still think that Orfhlaith Begley is a man? Or did he just not do any research on the matter?
    edited May 2018
    Mortimer said:

Scott_P said:
    My first indication today that the Customs Partnership idea was sunk was when I heard on waking that Hammond was supporting it. Kiss of death for most Brexit related ideas so far...

The ERG won't have it, the press are against it, the people won't wear it. Guess that cabinet sub committee meeting will be short...
    And then what? Parliament won't support no deal or a hard Brexit, as TMay knows, hence the search for a CU in all but name.

Mortimer said:

Scott_P said:

The Govt have won both.

If we still come under the ECJ, pay into the EU, and the EU do our trade deals for us, it will get nasty
    hunchman said:

I have a choice between Tory, Labour, Lib Dem and Green on Thursday. Who do you vote for if you're broadly centre right, detest the Tories for a) financial and moral corruption, b) foreign policy, detest the Lib Dems for their EU fanaticism, detest Labour for most things, not least socialism as a completely flawed ideology and detest the Greens for their man made climate change nonsense?

If you feel obliged to cast a vote at all, and there are no sane independents to vote for, vote for whoever worked hardest for your vote in the ward - it sounds like you don't care for any of the options, and local councils won't have an impact on most of them anyway due to their focus, so reward those who at least tried hardest.
  • david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,401
    hunchman said:

You stop being so picky.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,083
    hunchman said:

You find out a bit about the candidates and vote for the best most hard working one(s).

By election in Buckingham?

Lets hope so. Bercow said he wouldn't serve more than 9 years anyway from June 2009 when he became speaker, so if he keeps his word(?!) he should be gone by the end of June
  • The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    Foxy said:

hunchman said:

Mortimer said:

I think that you may be right in parts of the country. Less so in others. The divide showed well in the Channel 4 news piece with Chuka and Gale:

https://twitter.com/ChukaUmunna/status/991386383314030594?s=19
    Yeah, that interview was a mess.
    IanB2 said:

hunchman said:

You find out a bit about the candidates and vote for the best most hard working one(s).
    I've been trying to do that, but given its a safe Tory ward all we've had is a Tory leaflet, so that doesn't say a lot for the efforts of the others! I simply cannot in my right mind vote Tory these days given everything I know about their corruption historically based on 'that road' in the borough of Barnet.

I will still go to the polling station even if I end up spoiling my ballot paper though, as I believe that is better than just wimping out and not turning up at all - that in my book is at least some mark of respect to the Suffragettes. And I'll put something pretty hard hitting about the corruption for everyone to see if I do indeed spoil my ballot paper.
This discussion has been closed.