Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Motivating Labour’s huge volunteer army can be at odds with ma

Comments

• Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    JackW said:

AndyJS said:

JackW said:

The LDs will end up gaining
    S Cambs
    Three Rivers
    Richmond
    Kingston

All from the Tories

Mike do you know why South Cambs has surged to the yellow peril ?
    Sorry to interrupt, but it voted 60% Remain, one of the highest outside the big cities. And it's next to Cambridge.
    AndyJS said:

JackW said:

The LDs will end up gaining
    S Cambs
    Three Rivers
    Richmond
    Kingston

All from the Tories

Mike do you know why South Cambs has surged to the yellow peril ?
    Sorry to interrupt, but it voted 60% Remain, one of the highest outside the big cities. And it's next to Cambridge.
    Clearly but whilst that explains a useful platform it would mean that the LibDems would sweep all remain areas with ease or come close to doing so, and that hasn't happened.
    I think the difference was a brilliant LibD campaign,based I guess on the tried and tested formula devised by "Jones The Vote" and Lord Rennard.On fertile soil,a good LD campaign is hard to beat and then they have the habit of not being able to get rid of,like bindweed.
  • Options
    nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138

The only conclusion I'm drawing from these results is that Lib/Lab/Con all need new leaders. If any of them could crack the leadership issue, it would at least break the stalemate.

Stalemate? Sorry but given everything that has happened since GE 2017 exit polls, these results (8 years in to a tory govt) are pretty good for the Tories and bad for the main opposition in areas of the country that are not exactly tory strongholds.
  • Options
    Torby_FennelTorby_Fennel Posts: 438
    Alistair said:

Jonathan said:

The Lib Dems have not yet managed to find a response to the reality that the coalition was not popular.

It was popular with Conservatives. It wasn't popular with Lib Dem voters.

The absolute conviction of Lib Dem MPs (and obvioulsy lots of former MPs) that the Coalition was popular with its voters and that its voters were demanding, nay champing at the bit for, a coalition with the Tories is the most insane collective delusion who's power over them I cannot explain.
    I think it's almost certain that if the Coalition had never happened I'd still be an unenthusiastic Conservative voter rather than an enthused and active Liberal Democrat member. The Coalition taught me that I'm a liberal without me actually changing any of my existing opinions.

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,262
    edited May 2018
    Lib Dem's back within 3 of Labour for gains. Tories now -20. 7 Councils to go.

And the Lib Dems overtake Labour: 63:62. Remarkable.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,960
    Does anyone know the results from Kingston Upon Thames?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

It's remarkable in the context of them being the only one of the big two and a half to be down in the opinion polls from 2014.

• Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    DavidL said:

Do we have a split of the performance showing inside and outside of London? It was certainly looking like a game of two halves and it would be good to see how it does breakdown.
  • Options
    I see the Conservatives are taking Rosemary Carroll back in Pendle.

That's not something I would applaud.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Scott_P said:
    Isn't there a fable about a snake and a lion fighting but neither one being able to gain the advantage?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,925
    edited May 2018
    Does anyone know the actual London vote %s ?

We don't need to transpose those to NEV since the entirity of London is voting.

We can check the numbers vs opinion polls.

For instance even though Labour got nowhere near in Westminster they were actually only 2% behind on the vote.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Do we have a split of the performance showing inside and outside of London? It was certainly looking like a game of two halves and it would be good to see how it does breakdown.
    I suspect the LDs relative success is split fairly evenly. Outside London, they did well in Winchester, South Cambridgeshire, and Three Rivers, as well as making a few odd gains in places like Sunderland. And they lost a little ground in Eastleigh, where they'd been dominant.

In London, they fell back sharply in Sutton, but not enough to lose the council, while they did very well in Richmond and have taken a few random seats elsewhere. I don't have any indication of the Kingston vote yet, but my guess is they'll take it.
  • Options

Looks like Momentum's takeover has cost Labour seats in Haringey.

Crouch End has fallen.
    Worst Gerard Butler sequel ever.
    I would 100% turn up at the cinema for it, though.

I see the affluent Haringey wards are all going LD - Muswell Hill etc.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    rcs1000 said:

I see the Conservatives are taking Rosemary Carroll back in Pendle.

That's not something I would applaud.

Not a good look, to be sure
  • Options

Crouch End has fallen.

LD potential comeback in Hornsey and Wood Green viable long term ?
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    edited May 2018
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

I suspect the LDs relative success is split fairly evenly. Outside London, they did well in Winchester, South Cambridgeshire, and Three Rivers, as well as making a few odd gains in places like Sunderland. And they lost a little ground in Eastleigh, where they'd been dominant.

In London, they fell back sharply in Sutton, but not enough to lose the council, while they did very well in Richmond and have taken a few random seats elsewhere. I don't have any indication of the Kingston vote yet, but my guess is they'll take it.
    I've been following the Kingston (my home town) results on the council's website. The LDs are giving the Tories (and Labour) the dockside hooker treatment. LDs now on 24 councillors against 6 Conservatives. One more win will give the LDs overall control.

I know SW London is Remainy but has the previously Tory-controlled council cocked something up spectacularly to get these results?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

It's remarkable in the context of them being the only one of the big two and a half to be down in the opinion polls from 2014.

Yep, the collapse of UKIP has twisted the traditional swingometer well out of shape. Lead is now 5 for the Lib Dems and only 5 councils left.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989
    edited May 2018
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

LibDems have already won 27 seats in Kingston out of 48 so it is LibDem gain. Doesn't seem to be reported anywhere.

EDIT: LibDems now on 33 seats

https://moderngov.kingston.gov.uk/mgElectionResults.aspx?ID=17&RPID=15393990

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

For instance even though Labour got nowhere near in Westminster they were actually only 2% behind on the vote.

Yes Tories must not be complacent in Greater London, it's not all about winning marginals.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Not up on the LondonCouncils website yet, where from the looks of it the total list of london results will be put up once all are in.

https://www.londoncouncils.gov.uk/who-runs-london/london-local-elections/past-results
  • Options
    DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Yep, the collapse of UKIP has twisted the traditional swingometer well out of shape. Lead is now 5 for the Lib Dems and only 5 councils left.
    Now 8. I think it is now highly likely that they will be the top winners of the night. Really didn't see that coming.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

LibDems have already won 27 seats in Kingston out of 48 so it is LibDem gain. Doesn't seem to be reported anywhere.
    Now LD 33/6 Con with 9 seats to declare. https://moderngov.kingston.gov.uk/mgElectionResults.aspx?ID=17&RPID=15393990
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Floater said:

William_H said:

Does McIRA have a problem with women?

'Get back in your box woman'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5690493/John-McDonnell-Claire-Perry-air-election-row.html

I seemed to remember Dave saying "calm down dear" in PMQs and it being a national scandal....

That's impressively misleading reporting. McDonnell didn't say that, Perry complained about him making gestures.
    and talking over her to be fair
    He may well be a sexist, but politicians of any gender talk over each other all the time, so that is hardly evidence of it even if he is.

I truly don't like defending John McDonnell, and he has earned plenty of justifiable attacks for things he has said and done, but talking over Perry and holding out a hand is not really the same as him saying 'get back in your box, woman'. Do we seriously think if it had been a man saying the same things as Perry he would not have tried talking over them and holding out a hand?
    The video doesn't show the 2 minutes leading up to this incident - it does help to view it in full context.
    If the full context makes McDonnell look worse, then I do wonder why the Mail didn't include it - unable to?
    It just shows what Perry was trying to say and what prompted him to get shouty and pointy. It makes it far clearly what he was trying to prevent being said live on air.
    So nothing really to back up purported sexism, just the (entirely unsurprising) point that he's an arsehole, and would act to try to prevent people saying things he doesn't like?

As I said, he might be a sexist, but even for a newspaper headline I think the Mail have stretched the presentation a bit too much there, giving the appearance of a direct, blatantly sexist quote.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0b16sfx/election-2018-part-one - watch from 2 hours 10 minutes - that shows all that happens.

I didn't say it showed him as being sexist - but you see the sudden flash of anger and that is what is unacceptable.
    I know you didn't say it showed him as a sexist - but that was the point of the Mail story, not about his flashes of anger. He's nastier than Corbyn for instance, we already knew that.
  • Options

Crouch End has fallen.

https://twitter.com/Samfr/status/992431401994776576
  • Options
    RBK now LD 36 / Con 6.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Barnesian said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

EDIT: LibDems now on 33 seats

Looks like their best ever in the council, if I am not mistaken - a very positive result for them.

https://www.londoncouncils.gov.uk/node/33632
  • Options
    Huge numbers of independents in Havering, I see - 8 Hornchurch Residents Association, 6 Upminster and Cranham Residents Association, and a couple more residents groups in the mix too, to prevent the Tories taking control.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    rcs1000 said:

Kingston - 36 LibDems .. 6 Con .. 6 results to come.

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited May 2018
    Pulpstar said:

It'll take a long time to add up all the wards. I did it in a couple of days in 2014 but I'm not doing it again, lol.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Did Sandy ever reveal how they got on?

And the rest of the PB crowd standing yesterday of course?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Crouch End has fallen.

Hard to say, the LD vote had been on the slide since 2005, and the seat does contain wards like Noel Park, which are more solid for Lab.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    kle4 said:

Did SandyRentool ever reveal how they got on?

A tiny swing to him, but soundly beaten I beleive he said.
  • Options
    JackW said:

rcs1000 said:

The remaining two wards are Tory stronghodls so likely the final result will be LD 36 (+18), Con 12 (-15), Lab 0 (-2), Oth 0 (-1).
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,989

BBC LAB 283 CON 280

JEZZA is PM

Only if the SNP and LDs prop him up
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,605

kle4 said:

Did SandyRentool ever reveal how they got on?

A tiny swing to him, but soundly beaten I beleive he said.
    Indeed
  • Options
    The Tories have so got away with this. Lib Dems +69, Labour +60, Tories -23. On what planet are these good results?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Shows what a focus on NIMBYISM and potholes can achieve!
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,605
    I should add that there was one ward in Craven where we doubled our vote and gave the Tories a bit of a scare. Close but no cigar.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    It amuses me watching television on the election results and peoples interpretation of the results.

6 - 8 weeks ago I had convinced myself to vote Labour.
    Then Russia and Syria changed my mind, I thought I am not voting Labour after Corbyn's misguided comments and positions on these issues. The media coverage of Labour in the period before yesterdays vote indicated that Labour were likely to make sweeping gains. I therefore voted Tory despite my antipathy toward Brexit as a means of stopping Labour getting a massive boost through electoral success. I managed to persuade two more voters that I know well to cast a vote for the Tories despite Brexit reservations about the party as they too were remain supporters but wanted to make sure Corbyn did not truimph. My point being the only reason why I and two others voted Tory yesterday was to stop Corbyn. How many other Tories who voted remain in 2016 did likewise? All this nonsense about the Tories getting support for being the Brexit party seems misplaced IMO and the pundits might well be misreading the result in their attempts to form a narrative.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,836
    Pulpstar said:

Crouch End has fallen.

I see Justin Hinchcliffe has been elected as a Lib Dem in Haringey. I'm not sure the Lib Dems were wise to let him join.
  • Options
    JackW said:

rcs1000 said:

The six pending results are for Tudor and Coombe Vale. These both had very large Tory majorities but it looks as if there are recounts for them.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    DavidL said:

The Tories have so got away with this. Lib Dems +69, Labour +60, Tories -23. On what planet are these good results?

For a government, they're pretty decent results after 8 years. Think how many seats Labour were losing in each round of local elections after 8 years in office.
  • Options
    Stunning result for the Lib Dems in Kingston. Zac is toast next time out.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Yes, the LDs even picked up one of the seats in solid true-blue Tudor ward, which is in Zac's constituency I believe.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

For a government, they're pretty decent results after 8 years. Think how many seats Labour were losing in each round of local elections after 8 years in office.
    Yeah, but their opponent is Jeremy Corbyn though.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited May 2018
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Kingston now 37 LibDem .. 8 Con .. 3 to come.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

It also gets the WHOLE (Not just thirds) of London & Birmingham out the way for another 4 years.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    DavidL said:

Not if the LDs put up Olney again. She should be facing trial not appearing as a LD spokesperson
  • Options

Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

Yeah, but their opponent is Jeremy Corbyn though.
    There is that.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I really think you are overreacting. Yes, the conservative party is too, parties spin after all, but as Professor Curtice has said it is a credible performance for a party that is in government. Add in the holding of several councils that there was at least a decent chance they could have lost, and even though they also lost a couple in a big way, and it is decent.

So on planet earth those are relatively good results, considering they are 8 years in power and considering the sorts of numbers seen in some london polling. What they are not is great results. Like some Corbynites so overjoyed by Corbyn's good showing in June 2017 and saying things like he won the election, which he demonstrably did not, there was a kernel of truth in that it was a relatively good night for Labour, given the expectations, which are not irrelevant. And there is a kernel of truth that these numbers are relatively good results for the Tories, given the expectations.

The context of the Tory performance means they did ok overall, and decently in several places.
  • Options
    Emily Thornberry is trying to LabSplain voting behaviour to John Curtice on the Beeb right now.

Time to open a bottle.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:
    I think Harrow is currently Labour 34, Con 26, with these three still to declare. Close but no cigar for the Conservatives.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

He was lucky to hold out this last time.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Ms. Apocalypse, true, but then, the Conservative leader is hardly the reincarnation of Alexander the Great.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

In Richmond it was the Tories who focused on dustbins and potholes. They were desperate not to talk about national issues such as Brexit or even Heaathrow 3rd runway or the chaos in Downing St.

When knocking up, I was called over by one elderly gent who was in his garden. He wasn't on my supporters list. He said "I've always voted Conservative but how on earth can I vote for this Government. They're useless and falling apart. I've voted for you".
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    DavidL said:

Labour lost 319 seats in the 2006 local elections the year after Blair's 3rd election victory and where the same wards were up as this year
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,114
    HYUFD said:

BBC LAB 283 CON 280

JEZZA is PM

Perfect scenario for the SNP to scupper effective Govt. unless it gets another referendum....
  • Options
    A bare handful of councils left to declare, any likely to change hands? The Tories would dearly love to at least be no worse than Labour in terms of overall council losses.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    DavidL said:

You are being silly. Forecasts and expectations were better for Labour and worse for the Tories.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

BBC LAB 283 CON 280

JEZZA is PM

Perfect scenario for the SNP to scupper effective Govt. unless it gets another referendum....
    Which Parliament would likely block but on these numbers Corbyn would need the LDs too
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591
    Is heidi Alexander stepping down tonight? overall results very much in line with the demographic shifts we've seen over recent years. Labour results in Redditch swindon Newcastle under lyme etc not good for a party aspiring to government.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

It also gets the WHOLE (Not just thirds) of London & Birmingham out the way for another 4 years.
    I thought all the metropolitan boroughs (the districts of the former metropolitan counties) elected by thirds, unless there's been a re-warding, and didn't have the option of election by whole.
  • Options
    Anyone know if tissue price was standing.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

In Richmond it was the Tories who focused on dustbins and potholes. They were desperate not to talk about national issues such as Brexit or even Heaathrow 3rd runway or the chaos in Downing St.

When knocking up, I was called over by one elderly gent who was in his garden. He wasn't on my supporters list. He said "I've always voted Conservative but how on earth can I vote for this Government. They're useless and falling apart. I've voted for you".
    Richmond Park though is an oasis of Remainia which voted over 70% Remain in a country which voted 52% Leave in other areas Brexit hampered the LDs. I know one voter here in Essex went up to the LD teller and told her 'Why is a so called Liberal Democrat Party unable to accept a democratic decision?' Round here it is stopping building on the greenbelt and potholes that gets LD voters out not stopping Brexit
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    kle4 said:

DavidL said:

I really think you are overreacting. Yes, the conservative party is too, parties spin after all, but as Professor Curtice has said it is a credible performance for a party that is in government. Add in the holding of several councils that there was at least a decent chance they could have lost, and even though they also lost a couple in a big way, and it is decent.

So on planet earth those are relatively good results, considering they are 8 years in power and considering the sorts of numbers seen in some london polling. What they are not is great results. Like some Corbynites so overjoyed by Corbyn's good showing in June 2017 and saying things like he won the election, which he demonstrably did not, there was a kernel of truth in that it was a relatively good night for Labour, given the expectations, which are not irrelevant. And there is a kernel of truth that these numbers are relatively good results for the Tories, given the expectations.

The context of the Tory performance means they did ok overall, and decently in several places.
    I think these elections were the reverse of last years in that people voted to stop a party getting a runaway victory. Last year I am convinced that a Tory landslide being forecast by pundits prior to polling day enraged enough Labour support to turn out to stop it. This year I suspect the Tories benefited from it due to Corbyn's toxicity and likelihood of a triumph. Voters don't trust politicians and they seem to want to stop any party dominating like Labour did from 1997 onwards or the Tories in the 1980s IMO.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    edited May 2018
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

BBC LAB 283 CON 280

JEZZA is PM

Which Parliament would likely block but on these numbers Corbyn would need the LDs too
    Almost half of the LDs seats are in Scotland, they probably wouldn’t dare block it.

Important to bear in mind that only a very slight fall in Tory vote in the next GE will see them removed from office, even if they are replaced with another minority administration
  • Options

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

I think these elections were the reverse of last years in that people voted to stop a party getting a runaway victory. Last year I am convinced that a Tory landslide being forecast by pundits prior to polling day enraged enough Labour support to turn out to stop it. This year I suspect the Tories benefited from it due to Corbyn's toxicity and likelihood of a triumph. Voters don't trust politicians and they seem to want to stop any party dominating like Labour did from 1997 onwards or the Tories in the 1980s IMO.
    It's possible, although I would have thought the impact would have been less for locals, since not all local labour parties are going to be in the Corbynite mould, if that is a concern for people
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962
    rpjs said:

Pulpstar said:

Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

I thought all the metropolitan boroughs (the districts of the former metropolitan counties) elected by thirds, unless there's been a re-warding, and didn't have the option of election by whole.
    I know Birmingham is going to all up elections from now on. There seems to be a trend away from elections by thirds, although I'm not sure why. Perhaps a cost saving exercise?
  • Options
    RobD said:

rpjs said:

Pulpstar said:

Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

I know Birmingham is going to all up elections from now on. There seems to be a trend away from elections by thirds, although I'm not sure why. Perhaps a cost saving exercise?
    Presumably - though personally I think it’s a bad thing. Good to have some continuity in governance.
  • Options
    RobD said:

rpjs said:

Pulpstar said:

Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

Yes it makes sense.
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    DavidL said:

8 years in to the Blair government, Labour had lost 4000 councillors compared to 1997.

8 years in to this Tory run, including the coalition, they've lost fewer than 400.

It can be dangerous to compare to expectations too much, but completely refusing to look at context is equally foolish.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

BBC LAB 283 CON 280

JEZZA is PM

Almost half of the LDs seats are in Scotland, they probably wouldn’t dare block it.

Important to bear in mind that only a very slight fall in Tory vote in the next GE will see them removed from office, even if they are replaced with another minority administration
    They do seem to forget that sometimes. Corbyn's vote might go down, but the Tories don't have much wiggle room, and after 12 years in power might be reliant on the StopCorbyn factor being just as strong as before, or even stronger, to counter the inevitably stronger 'time for a change' factor.
  • Options
    surbysurby Posts: 1,227
    DavidL said:

Do we have details ? My vote obviously helped !
  • Options
    Westminster CC: Con 42.8% Lab 41.1%. Seats Con 41 Lab 19. Some gerrymandering !
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

DavidL said:

8 years in to the Blair government, Labour had lost 4000 councillors compared to 1997.

8 years in to this Tory run, including the coalition, they've lost fewer than 400.

It can be dangerous to compare to expectations too much, but completely refusing to look at context is equally foolish.
    It's minus 23 out of 8,807.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

BBC LAB 283 CON 280

JEZZA is PM

Why not? 55% of Scots opposed independence remember including all the LDs Scottish seats.

Several Labour MPs would also likely vote against another independence referendum and almost all the Tories and the DUP
  • Options

RobD said:

rpjs said:

Pulpstar said:

Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

Presumably - though personally I think it’s a bad thing. Good to have some continuity in governance.
    That's the argument, but most colleagues of mine in local government find it a right hassle, particularly in closely fought councils like Swindon which means they are permanently on a war footing.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,775

Ms. Apocalypse, true, but then, the Conservative leader is hardly the reincarnation of Alexander the Great.

Even the greatest of reincarnated-legends can have a crap spell you know. Corbyn is clearly Aethelred, and he's looked far too ready for anyone's liking. Mrs May will I'm sure shortly launch us upon a programme of expansion into the forsaken (Europe cut off by Brexit) territories, and Corbyn's preparedness will be seen as an utter sham when he confesses it's unlikely that he'll be able to tie his shoelaces by Xmas.
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

DavidL said:

The number of councillors are much fewer than then.
  • Options
    surby said:

It can work the other way. In 2002, Labour won Bexley and Croydon, despite being well behind the Conservatives in terms of votes.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,269
    Do we add all three party candidates' votes in multimember wards?
  • Options
    flubadubflubadub Posts: 20
    Important game in Indore, if Mumbai win it leaves the competition wide open.
  • Options
    flubadubflubadub Posts: 20
    Important game in Indore, if Mumbai win it leaves the competition wide open.
  • Options
    surby said:

The people are simply worth more in Knightsbridge and Belgravia.
  • Options
    surby said:

DavidL said:

Pleasantly surprised to see all 3 Lib Dem’s have been elected in Chessington
  • Options
    surby said:

The Local Government Boundary Commission for England makes decisions on such things (or rather recommends them to parliament, which can only accept or reject them, not amend them), and they accept representations from everyone, and will pick and mix from the submissions they receive, and the main factor is electoral equality (though community identity and cohesion is relevant up to a point) so no, not gerrymandering.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    DavidL said:

We're eight years into government, we've implemented austerity policies, we've cut local government grants quite significantly and in London we're implementing a locally very unpopular policy.

Considering all that, we've held on to 98% of our councillors. In the equivalent election in 2006 (9 years into the last Labour government) Labour lost 17% of all their seats and Dave led us to over 300 gains that night vs probably about 80 for Corbyn tonight.

Overall, we've got a C grade. It's a pass, but there is huge room for improvement.
  • Options
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,815
    Did we ever get a projected national share of the vote?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962
    edited May 2018
    surby said:

maaarsh said:

DavidL said:

The number of councillors are much fewer than then.
    Even correcting for that, they went from ~48% down to ~22% of the number of councillors.

https://i2.wp.com/commonslibrary.parliament.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Party-affiliation-of-local-councillors-in-Great-Britain.png
  • Options
    edited May 2018

surby said:

DavidL said:

I don't live there. But is it strong Tory ? What happened in Norbiton and St. Marks ?

Edit: Just looked at the council website. It seems the LDs hammered the Tories.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

35/35/16
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    David Lammy is correct .Voter ID is Jim Crow writ large.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

GIN1138 said:

35/35/16
    For comparison, the 2014 figures were
    29/31/13 (Con/Lab/LD) with UKIP on 17%
  • Options
    edited May 2018

surby said:

DavidL said:

Looking at the historical results on the RBK website, there's only been two instances of non-LDs (both Tories) being elected in Chessington (both in Chessington North and Hook Rise ward) since 2002.
This discussion has been closed.