Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If punters are right we could have passed peak Jacob Rees-Mogg

Comments

• nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138
    So it's Ramadan again, and once again Israel is attacking helpless Palestinians. They have been doing this every summer for the past few years with impunity.
  • rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038

Mr. Voter, last season the Ladbrokes Exchange sometimes had interesting specials on F1. I've used it sometimes to hedge bets.

https://ex.ladbrokes.com

That's useful; many thanks.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789

'Sturgeon isolated'

More like the ring of Ruth.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,772

Freggles said:

If Theresa May really, REALLY wants to tank JRM's chances of getting power, she should give him a big, serious job in the Cabinet and watch as he crumbles just like Boris.
    It's easy to be an ideological purist when it's all theoretical.

DWP?

He'd attempt to have disabled welfare claimants scrubbing the decks of hulk ships in preparation for holding illegal migrants.
    I imagine that he would reinstate the Tudor penalties for begging.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,575

Roger said:

felix said:

I see that Stop the War are to protest against the Palestinian deaths - it's good to see such a quick response as with their protests against Russia and Syria....

Do you approve of the slaughter of Palestinians?
    Violent protest should be met by force. Israel is entirely within its rights to do what is has done.....
    Proportionate force.
    There is at the very least a question as to whether shooting dead over forty and wounding hundreds is proportionate.

nunuone said:

Hear, hear!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNUcR-eMxaE

Careful, people will start accusing you of being a closet alt-right supporter and worshipper of the stupid man's idea of an intelligent individual...
    Lol, the SJW's will eat themselves. What they are advocating for taken to it's full extent is cultural and racial segregation. Too much "equality" will lead to too much inequality.
  • david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,401

Freggles said:

If Theresa May really, REALLY wants to tank JRM's chances of getting power, she should give him a big, serious job in the Cabinet and watch as he crumbles just like Boris.

I nearly published a thread late last year suggesting Mrs May made JRM Secretary of State for Northern Ireland.
    Or maybe he could replace Penny Mordaunt as Minister for Women and Equalities to let her concentrate on International Development?
    Too late for now unless there's another scandal soon but Home Secretary or Minister of State would prepare him for a high-flying career.

He's already about 47. At that age Harold Wilson was PM.
    Rees Mogg is 49 later this month - the same age at which Neville Chamberlain first became an MP.
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Nigelb said:

felix said:

Nigelb said:

Freggles said:

DWP?

He'd attempt to have disabled welfare claimants scrubbing the decks of hulk ships in preparation for holding illegal migrants.
    We really are channelling Dickens this afternoon...
    Brings a new Twist to the PB discourse.
    I have a hard time believing you can't do better than that; so much for my great expectations...
    Give me more time to pickwick through my papers - right now my head's all chuzzlewitted!
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited May 2018
    nunuone said:

nunuone said:

Hear, hear!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNUcR-eMxaE

Careful, people will start accusing you of being a closet alt-right supporter and worshipper of the stupid man's idea of an intelligent individual...
    Lol, the SJW's will eat themselves. What they are advocating for taken to it's full extent is cultural and racial segregation. Too much "equality" will lead to too much inequality.
    Jordan Peterson was a total nobody until the SJW went total nuts on his objection to state sanctioned enforcement of gender neutral pronouns. He has some quite odd ideas, but on this stuff he generally talks a lot of sense.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Mr. Voter, np.

As I said, I've used it now and then for F1, and it used to have specials (things like team X to have double points finishes and team Y to not be classified etc), so they might do that for other markets.

Mr. One, precisely. The same idiots utterly oppose segregation, even to the extent of wanting a borderless world, whilst at the same seeking to absolutely impose it in a cultural sense. People can live wherever they like, but only Chinese women can wear Chinese dresses.

It's nuts.

The re-writing of history is an especial brand of inaccurate nonsense.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZH35n7SxW8
    Mr. Glenn, if we do have another referendum I hope it's soon (got a small bet on).
  • glwglw Posts: 9,535
    edited May 2018
    Nigelb said:

Proportionate force.
    There is at the very least a question as to whether shooting dead over forty and wounding hundreds is proportionate.

The Israeli military doesn't really believe in or practice the propotionate use of force. As the odds have many times been stacked against Israel this is not necessarily a bad policy in itself. Of course this is why it is so important for other states to avoid provocative actions that can lead to protests and conflict between the Palestinian and Israeli peoples, unfortunately the White House is currently occupied by a total fucking moron.
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,124

felix said:

felix said:

I see that Stop the War are to protest against the Palestinian deaths - it's good to see such a quick response as with their protests against Russia and Syria....

One reason for the protests is surely the supine attitude of our government with regard to Israel's behaviour. Atrocities carried out by the Russian and Syrian governments are rightly met with sanctions and, in the latter case, threats of military intervention. Israel, on the hand, appears able to commit atrocities with impunity. Why does Israel get a green light to do as it pleases, while other countries attract punishment for their evil-doing?
    In the case of Israel the atrocities you refer to are unproven. Note I do not offer an opinion on them and accept there is much amiss in the current Israeli government. However, they have free and fair elections so the government is legitimate which is more than can be said for the two you mention. My actual point which you ignore relates to the STW organisation and their selectivity in which 'wars' they choose to protest. with regard to the UK I think they take a fair line on Israel and remain wedded to the 2 state solution. I'm not convinced that Hamas and Hezbollah support that. Indeed they are committed to the destruction of the state of Israel which in part explains the Israeli attitudes to threats on their borders.
    I did not ignore your point. My post directly addressed your point. To repeat: one reason that Israel's actions arouse such ire is the fact that the response of our own and other western governments to them is so half-hearted. When Arab countries defy UN resolutions, they get invaded; Israel gets a finger-wagging at most. This kind of favouritism makes people angry.
    What should the west do? Invade Israel and assist Hezbollah in its destruction? Israel has a right to defend its borders.
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    felix said:

felix said:

felix said:

One reason for the protests is surely the supine attitude of our government with regard to Israel's behaviour. Atrocities carried out by the Russian and Syrian governments are rightly met with sanctions and, in the latter case, threats of military intervention. Israel, on the hand, appears able to commit atrocities with impunity. Why does Israel get a green light to do as it pleases, while other countries attract punishment for their evil-doing?
    In the case of Israel the atrocities you refer to are unproven. Note I do not offer an opinion on them and accept there is much amiss in the current Israeli government. However, they have free and fair elections so the government is legitimate which is more than can be said for the two you mention. My actual point which you ignore relates to the STW organisation and their selectivity in which 'wars' they choose to protest. with regard to the UK I think they take a fair line on Israel and remain wedded to the 2 state solution. I'm not convinced that Hamas and Hezbollah support that. Indeed they are committed to the destruction of the state of Israel which in part explains the Israeli attitudes to threats on their borders.
    I did not ignore your point. My post directly addressed your point. To repeat: one reason that Israel's actions arouse such ire is the fact that the response of our own and other western governments to them is so half-hearted. When Arab countries defy UN resolutions, they get invaded; Israel gets a finger-wagging at most. This kind of favouritism makes people angry.
    What should the west do? Invade Israel and assist Hezbollah in its destruction? Israel has a right to defend its borders.
    Stonethrowers vs snipers is never going to look like a level killing field, though, nor is a 44-0 scoreline. Rubber bullets? Water cannon?
  • RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    Sean_F said:

Nigelb said:

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:

his supposed "authenticity" is a winner.

He's about as authentic as SPAM

https://twitter.com/JamesMelville/status/995037243470426112
    Jesus had very little to say about modern politics.
    He's on record as disapproving of tax dodging...
    That is true. Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's.

RobD said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

O/T if Bercow does step down as Speaker, will he take the Labour whip?

He was a Tory MP was he not?
    His views have altered radically
    I’m sure he still believes in his Monday Club policies of forced repatriation of non whites.
    He’s certainly been on a journey.
    Bercow used to get tumescent at the very mention of Enoch Powell.

He used to sing anti Catholic songs too.
    And marched alongside various "community leaders" in Northern Ireland, during protests against the Anglo Irish Agreement.
    Well a friend of mine who was both a Christian and a Marxist said the correct translation of the render unto Caesar quote was 'give the Romans what's coming to them'.
  • TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    nunuone said:

So it's Ramadan again, and once again Israel is attacking helpless Palestinians. They have been doing this every summer for the past few years with impunity.

This victimhood mantra doesn't seem to be working for the Palestinians.

Perhaps they should try a negotiated approach ?
  • not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,340
    TGOHF said:

nunuone said:

Enter into a Customs Partnership with Israel?
  • TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

TGOHF said:

nunuone said:

Yes - only a protectionist trade cartel with a single currency can create peace in a region.

This was proved by Jacques Delors.

• BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,281

Freggles said:

I nearly published a thread late last year suggesting Mrs May made JRM Secretary of State for Northern Ireland.
    Or maybe he could replace Penny Mordaunt as Minister for Women and Equalities to let her concentrate on International Development?
    Too late for now unless there's another scandal soon but Home Secretary or Minister of State would prepare him for a high-flying career.

Rees Mogg is 49 later this month - the same age at which Neville Chamberlain first became an MP.
    Not a great role-model to be following.
  • ElliotElliot Posts: 1,516

Mr. Voter, np.

As I said, I've used it now and then for F1, and it used to have specials (things like team X to have double points finishes and team Y to not be classified etc), so they might do that for other markets.

Mr. One, precisely. The same idiots utterly oppose segregation, even to the extent of wanting a borderless world, whilst at the same seeking to absolutely impose it in a cultural sense. People can live wherever they like, but only Chinese women can wear Chinese dresses.

It's nuts.

The re-writing of history is an especial brand of inaccurate nonsense.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZH35n7SxW8

Of course that happens both ways. Western movies are completely white affairs, when there were actually a lot of black and east Asian cowboys.
    Mr. Elliot, that's true, although I was amused to read that the Magnificent Seven remake apparently had a multi-racial crew of heroes. And an all-white set of villains :p

For comedy/entertainment I'm pretty relaxed, but for history having black Picts is just dumb. Your might as well have white Numidians.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,069
    Nigelb said:

Scott_P said:
    Though meaning, I believe, was 'nonsense' - as in "gammon and spinach".

QV Miss Flite's pet birds in Bleak House- named “Hope, Joy, Youth, Peace, Rest, Life, Dust, Ashes, Waste, Want, Ruin, Despair, Madness, Death, Cunning, Folly, Words, Wigs, Rags, Sheepskin, Plunder, Precedent, Jargon, Gammon, and Spinach.”

(Edit - I always wondered what 'Sheepskin' was doing in there...)
    In the passage cited, it does seem as if "gammon" is used in the contemporary sense of a jingo apoplectic at the modern state of affairs.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,712
    Sajid Javid was third in the last Conservative Home Tory members poll and seems to be having a rapid John Major like rise after being made Home Secretary. Rees Mogg still has a chance if he gets enough MPs to get to the final two but Javid v Gove as the final two to be sent to the membership by MPs now looks possible
  • not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,340
    edited May 2018
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

nunuone said:

Yes - only a protectionist trade cartel with a single currency can create peace in a region.

This was proved by Jacques Delors.

Hezbollah could import goods on Israel’s behalf, calculate custom duties, and then send them onto Israel. With explosives attached.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,718

Mr. Elliot, that's true, although I was amused to read that the Magnificent Seven remake apparently had a multi-racial crew of heroes. And an all-white set of villains :p

For comedy/entertainment I'm pretty relaxed, but for history having black Picts is just dumb. Your might as well have white Numidians.

I don’t think there’s any doubt that there were African legionaries and certainly there were Auxilaries from all over the Empire
    However, I don’t that it was easy to tell what skin colour the Picts had originally, given the amount of paint they used. Although of course they were probably basically a sort of dirty pink.
  • rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    Plus the reported conference at which the UK will encourage six smaller European countries to join the EU ... no doubt for peace, security and economic cooperation. Now we need Farage and Banks to comment: 'If this is leave, we may as well remain' which would complete the picture.
    edited May 2018
    felix said:

Nigelb said:

felix said:

Nigelb said:

Freggles said:

DWP?

We really are channelling Dickens this afternoon...
    Brings a new Twist to the PB discourse.
    I have a hard time believing you can't do better than that; so much for my great expectations...
    Give me more time to pickwick through my papers - right now my head's all chuzzlewitted!
    Probably enough Dickens for now.
    The lawyers here might take a Jarndyced view....

...which could go on for ever.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,749
    One less existential threat to the Israeli state.

https://twitter.com/alexbkane/status/995998390692573184
    King Cole, there were African legionaries. However, they're north African, not sub-Saharan, and the numbers (bearing in mind the Empire was vast at that stage in history) would've been in the minority. Those from Carthaginian cities were of Liby-Phoenician ethnicity. Plus, much of the officer class, if memory serves, were simply Romans who dwelt in Africa.

The video indicates that black people were shown amongst the Picts, as priests in Britain etc. The only white officer was wicked. All the slaves were white. It's rewriting history.

I do think more leeway is fine with entertainment. But when presenting historical programmes then accuracy is of critical importance. Imposing modern political and social norms on what happened two thousand years ago, is bloody stupid. Reminds me of people complaining that Kingdom Come Deliverance (set in a few square miles of Bohemia in 1403) didn't have any black people.

As an aside, those who enjoyed KCD should keep their eyes peeled. An Egyptian studio is developing a game set in medieval Arabia. Unless it includes Outremer (depending on the century, of course) I'm not anticipating a huge number of white guys:
    https://twitter.com/DanarKayfi/status/986235790492512257
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

twitter.com/alexbkane/status/995998390692573184

What were they thinking? Boggles the mind.

I don’t think there’s any doubt that there were African legionaries and certainly there were Auxilaries from all over the Empire
    However, I don’t that it was easy to tell what skin colour the Picts had originally, given the amount of paint they used. Although of course they were probably basically a sort of dirty pink.
    There were African emperors: Septimius Severus was of part Libyan descent.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,674
    LOL, HUFFYD will be on soon to say Ruth will be First Minister as SNP support is waning.

'Sturgeon isolated'

More like the ring of Ruth.
    That's dinner cancelled
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    David Miliband doesn't look any older than he did in 2010.
    Nigelb said:

Roger said:

felix said:

Violent protest should be met by force. Israel is entirely within its rights to do what is has done.....
    Proportionate force.
    Yes , and snipers shooting unarmed people, it is criminal. They should be up at the Hague for war crimes.
  • brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315

Freggles said:

Well he would be succeeding the modern day equivalent of Neville Chamberlain!
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,723
    Palestinian health officials said 52 people were killed along the Gaza border, including six children under the age of 18. The youngest fatality appeared to be a 14-year-old boy named Ezzaldeen al-sammak. More than 1,200 others were shot and wounded during Monday’s protests, according to the Palestinian health ministry.
  • AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    Sean_F said:

Roger said:

felix said:

We all do.
    ?

More crucially Jeremy Hunt has publicly denounced and bitch slapped the antics of Bonking Boris.

Like JRM we’ve seen peak Boris.

Hunt looks and acts so Prime Ministerial. Hope you all got on at 100/1 and 66/1.

Hunt is currently being investigated by the Parliamentary Commissioner for Standards for potentially breaching the House of Commons Code of Conduct.

https://economia.icaew.com/en/news/april-2018/jeremy-hunt-under-investigation-by-parliamentary-watchdog

If the Commissioner funds against him he will not even be in the Cabinet let alone a leadership contender

He's a human shield you see.

Israel is disgusting.
    Scott_P said:
    Not happening. Both Tory MPs and members oppose one and May us much more cautious now.

Indeed the current 'gold standard' Survation poll gives a 1% Tory lead ie exactly thr same as their final 2017 GE poll and thus rendering another snap general election utterly pointless as it would produce exactly the same result
    malcolmg said:

LOL, HUFFYD will be on soon to say Ruth will be First Minister as SNP support is waning.
    The fact the SNP has to scrape together support from the Scottish LDs and Scottish Labour on this is enough to confirm that
    HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

The fact the SNP has to scrape together support from the Scottish LDs and Scottish Labour on this is enough to confirm that
    LOL, you never disappoint, 116 to 13 is a real scrape for sure
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789

Plus the reported conference at which the UK will encourage six smaller European countries to join the EU ... no doubt for peace, security and economic cooperation. Now we need Farage and Banks to comment: 'If this is leave, we may as well remain' which would complete the picture.
    And there's more:

https://news.sky.com/story/brexit-is-precisely-what-vladimir-putin-wants-to-see-11372445

"Brexit is precisely what Vladimir Putin wants to see"

"...the UK's spy chief has warned Europe must become more united"
    HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

Of course.

The SNP & supporting parties representing 70% of Scottish voters = scraping together support

The Cons & DUP representing 43% of UK voters = strong and stable
    edited May 2018

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

Of course.

The SNP & supporting parties representing 70% of Scottish voters = scraping together support

Cons got 43% of GB support at the last general election, 6% more than the 37% of Scottish support the SNP got
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Another example of how we all turn to the right as we get older. Oh...
    No one believes all do. But since people seem to be more likely to be lefty when younger, a shift to the right is thus more likely.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,772

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

Of course.

The 5 votes in the Supreme Court are likely to be more telling in this particular instance.
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072
    nunuone said:

Israel is disgusting.
    Hamas has a role to play in this, despite the disproportionate response. Why on earth do they keep telling their people to attack the border, despite knowing Israel will use massive violence to defend it?

Stupid. Dangerous. Negligent.
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

Of course.

Cons got 43% of GB support at the last general election, 6% more than the 37% of Scottish support the SNP got
    Usual Tory numbers compare 60+ million to 5M to justify more votes, who would have believed it. Had to bribe DUP to even get over the line, how low can Tories get.
    edited May 2018
    kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Another example of how we all turn to the right as we get older. Oh...
    No one believes all do. But since people seem to be more likely to be lefty when younger, a shift to the right is thus more likely.
    Indeed the Tories have not won 18 to 24s since 1983 and Labour have not won pensioners since 1997

https://www.ipsos.com/ipsos-mori/en-uk/how-britain-voted-october-1974
    DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

Of course.

The 5 votes in the Supreme Court are likely to be more telling in this particular instance.
    David, Is that the Westminster lackeys you are talking about. Old boys club will vote for their pockets.

Mr. Elliot, that's true, although I was amused to read that the Magnificent Seven remake apparently had a multi-racial crew of heroes. And an all-white set of villains.....

In the context of the American West, that’s not entirely inappropriate, Mr.D.

And the Magnificent Seven was itself a remake of a Japanese original...

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

Of course.

David, Is that the Westminster lackeys you are talking about. Old boys club will vote for their pockets.
    That would be the Supreme Court who gave the government such a hard time about the Gina Miller case, Malcolm. I have little doubt that they will support the view of the Presiding Officer of the Scottish Parliament who has already ruled the bill ultra vires. Having spent so long fighting for a Scottish Parliament it is disappointing that so many parties are not minded to take better care of it.

Sean_F said:

Nigelb said:

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:

his supposed "authenticity" is a winner.

He's about as authentic as SPAM

https://twitter.com/JamesMelville/status/995037243470426112
    Jesus had very little to say about modern politics.
    He's on record as disapproving of tax dodging...
    That is true. Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's.

RobD said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

I’m sure he still believes in his Monday Club policies of forced repatriation of non whites.
    He’s certainly been on a journey.
    Bercow used to get tumescent at the very mention of Enoch Powell.

He used to sing anti Catholic songs too.
    And marched alongside various "community leaders" in Northern Ireland, during protests against the Anglo Irish Agreement.
    Well a friend of mine who was both a Christian and a Marxist said the correct translation of the render unto Caesar quote was 'give the Romans what's coming to them'.
    Henry Thoreau interpreted it as give the Caesar nothing, because Caesar is entitled to nothing. But, I'd interpret it to mean that the State is entitled to its due, but not to compel you to do things that are positively unChristian.

King Cole, there were African legionaries. However, they're north African, not sub-Saharan, and the numbers (bearing in mind the Empire was vast at that stage in history) would've been in the minority. Those from Carthaginian cities were of Liby-Phoenician ethnicity. Plus, much of the officer class, if memory serves, were simply Romans who dwelt in Africa.

The video indicates that black people were shown amongst the Picts, as priests in Britain etc. The only white officer was wicked. All the slaves were white. It's rewriting history.

I do think more leeway is fine with entertainment. But when presenting historical programmes then accuracy is of critical importance. Imposing modern political and social norms on what happened two thousand years ago, is bloody stupid. Reminds me of people complaining that Kingdom Come Deliverance (set in a few square miles of Bohemia in 1403) didn't have any black people.

As an aside, those who enjoyed KCD should keep their eyes peeled. An Egyptian studio is developing a game set in medieval Arabia. Unless it includes Outremer (depending on the century, of course) I'm not anticipating a huge number of white guys:
    https://twitter.com/DanarKayfi/status/986235790492512257

There probably were black African soldiers, as barbarians did seek their fortunes in the Empire, but they would have been a tiny proportion of the whole.
    Labour Friends Of Israel MPs mainly remarkably silent.

More Civillians killed today than in the Syria Chemical Weapons attack.

Wheres the Early Day Motion?

Wheres the calls for Military responses?

Wheres the outrage?
    edited May 2018
    BTW did Mackinlay's trial start today? This is not a government that can afford to lose MPs.
    edited May 2018

nunuone said:

Israel is disgusting.
    Hamas has a role to play in this, despite the disproportionate response. Why on earth do they keep telling their people to attack the border, despite knowing Israel will use massive violence to defend it?

But not a Hamas war crime, as the Israeli UN ambassador is currently trying to portray it on C4 news.

Strangely he seems extremely unenthusiastic about a proposed independent UN enquiry into exactly where the war crime is occurring here.

Labour Friends Of Israel MPs mainly remarkably silent.

More Civillians killed today than in the Syria Chemical Weapons attack.

Wheres the Early Day Motion?

Wheres the calls for Military responses?

Wheres the outrage?

Surely that is all Corbyn's job?
  • murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,037
    edited May 2018

nunuone said:

Israel is disgusting.

Yes, let's all blame the victim - yep it's all the Palestinians' fault.

When will the British Government actually stand up for what is right. Will this lame Tory Government and stand up and condemn Israel for the merciless killing of civilians including children?

Israel has shown that it is nothing more than pariah nation. Yes, the catalyst is Trump but Israel has again shown it's true colours.

F*cking Israel! F*cking Trump!
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,969
    DavidL said:

BTW did Mackinlay's trial start today? This is not a government that can afford to lose MPs.

Postponed for legal reasons with no new date.

The reason is obvious, he didn’t want the verdict to be announced whilst Mike was on holiday.
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "BBC Trending

Why your social media is covered in gammon"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-44108080

nunuone said:

Israel is disgusting.

I think the people are desperate now. It's been an open air prison for years now. I don't think they need Hamas to tell them to do anything, they would be doing it anyway.

But anyway we should be holding Israel to much higher standards then Hamas, instead of both sidesism,
    AndyJS said:

"BBC Trending

Imagine if asian audience members were called "brownies".
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

Of course.

in our system vote share is vanity, seats are sanity.

DavidL said:

Postponed for legal reasons with no new date.

The reason is obvious, he didn’t want the verdict to be announced whilst Mike was on holiday.
    Very sound tactics on his part. It is hard not to get the feeling that this is wandering off into the long grass where it may eventually quietly die.
    Peaceful Protesters mowed down Over 1000 in the buffer Zone not even at the border suffer gunshot wounds

The silence from our Government and from the PLP is deafening
    nunuone said:

nunuone said:

Israel is disgusting.

I think the people are desperate now. It's been an open air prison for years now. I don't think they need Hamas to tell them to do anything, they would be doing it anyway.

But anyway we should be holding Israel to much higher standards then Hamas, instead of both sidesism,
    What is Israel supposed to about Gaza, in general?
    Sean_F said:

nunuone said:

nunuone said:

Israel is disgusting.

If they wanted they could have implemented a two state solution by now.
    nunuone said:

nunuone said:

Israel is disgusting.

Why? Is that not racist?

Peaceful Protesters mowed down Over 1000 in the buffer Zone not even at the border suffer gunshot wounds

The silence from our Government and from the PLP is deafening

Our government has apparently called for restraint. Which is admittedly pretty feeble but it is not silence.
    edited May 2018
    A few Israel & Trump supporters among the Ibrox faithful. Perhaps an idea for The Rangers when the next incarnation comes around?

https://twitter.com/ChemiShalev/status/995666297823350785
    What do you mean? Do you know anything about these people? Which ones are Corbynistas?
    nunuone said:

Sean_F said:

nunuone said:

nunuone said:

Israel is disgusting.

If they wanted they could have implemented a two state solution by now.
    They could, and should. But, Gaza would still be an awful place.
  • AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    3 Lewisham Cllrs and 1 from Islington
  • AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    nunuone said:

AndyJS said:

"BBC Trending

What I'm hearing in the term is sneering at largely inarticulate people who feel passionately about something.

Good evening, everyone.
    DavidL said:

What do you mean? Do you know anything about these people? Which ones are Corbynistas?
    Sakina Sheikh
    Claudia Webbe

DavidL said:

Sakina Sheikh
    Claudia Webbe
    Momentum meeting Wednesday to agree which one to support CW most snr but if she gives up her NEC Place we are back to parity as Joanna Baxter would replace
  • ElliotElliot Posts: 1,516
    Sean_F said:

nunuone said:

nunuone said:

Israel is disgusting.

Grant it independence, along with the rest of Palestine, or give its citizens the vote.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    ....and the Israeli slaughter continues. It's a disgrace. The shame for Labour isn't the feeble accusations of antisemitism but the free trips the Labour Friends of Israel enjoy.
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812
    AnneJGP said:

nunuone said:

AndyJS said:

"BBC Trending

What I'm hearing in the term is sneering at largely inarticulate people who feel passionately about something.

Good evening, everyone.
    I love how people are reading any old nonsense into the gammon term. It’s like a Rorschach test.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,401

3 Lewisham Cllrs and 1 from Islington

Because people who deal with dog muck and potholes on a daily basis are best qualified to sit in parliament.
    Roger said:

....and the Israeli slaughter continues. It's a disgrace. The shame for Labour isn't the feeble accusations of antisemitism but the free trips the Labour Friends of Israel enjoy.

Tbf LFI seem to be grateful for those trips.

https://twitter.com/_LFI/status/996050275017416704
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812

Roger said:

Astonishingly tone deaf.
    Can’t accuse *them* of anti-semitism, though.
  • AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

AnneJGP said:

nunuone said:

AndyJS said:

"BBC Trending

Good evening, everyone.
    I love how people are reading any old nonsense into the gammon term. It’s like a Rorschach test.
    Yeah, well, always happens when people come across terms they never heard of before.

Like those Batman T-shirts. For ages I wondered why people were going around displaying a yellow teeth motif.

Or when I joined a new company and eventually referred to a program suite no-one had explained to me as "De-mouser". Took us all a little while to understand I was referring to their Demo-user suite.
    Roger said:

The real shame is that by indulging their taste for anti-semitism all these years, they have cut themselves off at the knees as effective anti-Zionists. Just think of the stand they could have made over today's fcking appalling events if they weren't the party whose ppc had had to stand down two days ago for snidey twattery about the holocaust. Numpties.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,401

Roger said:

That reads like a parody account.

Best I leave it at that.

Roger said:

That reads like a parody account.

Best I leave it at that.
    Its obviously Hamas' fault people are getting shot. I mean, they are not exactly making it difficult are they, putting up people in wheelchairs and kids?
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,069
    AnneJGP said:

AnneJGP said:

nunuone said:

AndyJS said:

"BBC Trending

Good evening, everyone.
    Yeah, well, always happens when people come across terms they never heard of before.

Like those Batman T-shirts. For ages I wondered why people were going around displaying a yellow teeth motif.

Or when I joined a new company and eventually referred to a program suite no-one had explained to me as "De-mouser". Took us all a little while to understand I was referring to their Demo-user suite.
    I remember a patient telling me they had "That Mrs A" , it took me a while for the penny to drop. MRSA!
  • YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    Ishmael_Z said:
    I think that is justified response from the shadow foreign secretary.
    Yorkcity said:

Ishmael_Z said:
    I think that is justified response from the shadow foreign secretary.
    Quite so. I find myself warming to Lady Nugee.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    DavidL said:

No, it was delayed. Guido reports that a date has not been set.
This discussion has been closed.