Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Bercow needs to take inspiration from Arsene Wenger’s exit fro

Comments

• Options
    ElliotElliot Posts: 1,516
    It is worth bearing in mind that Theresa May is not yet committed public to BINO. Leavers should thus make absolutely clear that control of our laws and control of who gets to permanently migrate here are absolute red lines.

If Leavers are unhappy at compromises beyond that, the smart thing to do is not to throw their hands up and storm off, but to bank the victories they do get (out of political union, freedom of movement, fisheries, agriculture) and keep pushing. Demand the next Tory leader goes further. If they don't, vote against them until they get a leader that does.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    edited May 2018

welshowl said:

SeanT has replied to the articles in The Times I've been linking to.

https://twitter.com/thomasknox/status/997524710886903808

As I have said repeatedly we wont end up leaving the EU at all.

If this is BINO then that doesn't count for my prediction. But BINO will probably bring May's government down and then who knows; 2nd ref etc etc.

I am still (very slimly) on course...
    May's allowed Brexit to self-destruct pretty skillfully. Now we're at the stage where erstwhile Leavers will start saying there's no point and we'll end up having a second referendum which will settle the issue.
    I would say though that a 2nd referendum takes us into very dangerous territory as far as division in the country is concerned.
    Other countries manage to hold second referendums without too many problems. We've all been on a learning curve over the past 2 years and it's only Conservative voters holding up the "right to Leave" side at the moment. If figures like Boris and Gove switch sides and adopt a more sober tone it will allow people space to reconsider.
    Why on earth is she going to hold a second referendum? Why?

She’ll be frog marched out of No 10 pronto by the Tory party. They don’t want another round, neither do their voters by and large I’d assume, and really as long as they can muster votes of confidence in the HoC that’s that.
    She may be forced to by parliament.
    That’s the only route. But it’s a stretch even for the Tory rebels because it would rip the party apart, and the country, and they know it. PM Corbyn would result very likely and that ironically may be just the right amount of glue needed for them.

The country needs a second convulsive referendum right now like a hole in the head.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942
    welshowl said:

welshowl said:

If this is BINO then that doesn't count for my prediction. But BINO will probably bring May's government down and then who knows; 2nd ref etc etc.

May's allowed Brexit to self-destruct pretty skillfully. Now we're at the stage where erstwhile Leavers will start saying there's no point and we'll end up having a second referendum which will settle the issue.
    I would say though that a 2nd referendum takes us into very dangerous territory as far as division in the country is concerned.
    Other countries manage to hold second referendums without too many problems. We've all been on a learning curve over the past 2 years and it's only Conservative voters holding up the "right to Leave" side at the moment. If figures like Boris and Gove switch sides and adopt a more sober tone it will allow people space to reconsider.

She’ll be frog marched out of No 10 pronto by the Tory party. They don’t want another round, neither do their voters by and large I’d assume, and really as long as they can muster votes of confidence in the HoC that’s that.
    That’s the only route. But it’s a stretch even for the Tory revels because it would rip the party apart, and the country, and they know it. PM Corbyn would result very likely and that ironically may be just the right amount of glue needed for them.
    The Tory party would be gutted of its activist and councillor base if it reneged on Brexit.

• Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989

Mortimer said:

Barnesian said:

I'm looking forward to it. I'm going on the march on June 23rd. I hope it equals the Iraq march.

Question: Which foreign leaders are in favour of Brexit?
    Answer: Trump to weaken us in trade negotiations. Putin to weaken us militarily.

Stronger Together.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-europe-44129525/trump-helped-europe-lose-its-illusions-says-tusk
    Probably be about as effective as the Iraq march, too.
    I don’t agree because although the Iraq March did nothing to change policy directly, it was part of a society-wide turn against foreign adventures which in large part ended Blair’s premiership and continues to cast a long shadow on foreign policy (see the recent Syria debate). And look at Blair now.

Brexit is this generation’s Iraq War.
    Spot on. That's what I was thinking but you said it better.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,989

welshowl said:

As to why: in order to rectify the mess Cameron wrought.
    She won't when arguably Corbyn is even more committed to Brexit than she is
  • Options

welshowl said:

So when the country votes in, they don't get asked again for a half century and a half dozen treaty changes. When it votes out, they keep on getting asked even before the result is implemented.

Given Remainers have so much disdain for a genuine democracy, why bother with the charade at all? Just admit you think certain policies should be so regardless of the plebs and they don't get a say. It would be more honest.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,057
    Mortimer said:

welshowl said:

welshowl said:

That’s the only route. But it’s a stretch even for the Tory revels because it would rip the party apart, and the country, and they know it. PM Corbyn would result very likely and that ironically may be just the right amount of glue needed for them.
    The Tory party would be gutted of its activist and councillor base if it reneged on Brexit.
    The Tory party wouldn't be reneging on Brexit - it would have delivered a workable Brexit deal to the people, and it would be up to the people to decide.

The Tory party is more than just the governing wing of UKIP.
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
    malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

Actually I see my polite lack of interest is generally shared - two thirds of the public aren't interested in the wedding (with little difference between the parties) and dislike it getting public funding, though they like the Queen and would not favour abolishing the monarchy (though only 30% feel strongly).

https://www.republic.org.uk/sites/default/files/Republic_MonarchyResults_180511.pdf

The wedding is not getting public funding, only the security which would be the same for any big event such as the wedding of the son or daughter or grandchild of a president
    LOL , we get to pay for over 5000 police and assorted thousands other lackeys. If only we could muster that amount of police catching criminals.
    PS: Given their vast fortunes have been robbed from the public we are paying for the whole sh*tfest. Given they are all unemployed they could not pay anything towards it without the public cash.
    I love the Royal Family for the reasoned comments that they generate like those above. I mean if we didn't have a queen we'd have a president - that would be great wouldn't it?
  • Options

welshowl said:

I still tend to regard it as Heath’s mess that successive PM’s from Major through Brown and Blair did nothing to rectify by seeking our explicit consent for an ever more integrationist path. Cameron was at least trying to diffuse the time bomb ( if cack handedly ) when it went off.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    On the Royal Wedding, I'm on the indifferent side, but it must be a boost for tourism, if only from the extra Americans. For that reason, good on them.

Easy enough to avoid the telly for one day with such good weather. A sacrifice for the good of the country. Mrs Dent-Coady just sounds unnecessarily nasty.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Barnesian said:

I'm looking forward to it. I'm going on the march on June 23rd. I hope it equals the Iraq march.

Answer: Trump to weaken us in trade negotiations. Putin to weaken us militarily.

Stronger Together.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-europe-44129525/trump-helped-europe-lose-its-illusions-says-tusk
    HYUFD said:

While I have no doubt that Sam Coates has an inside track, his article doesn't explain what will be done about freedom of movement. The EU have consistently made it clear that the four freedoms are indivisible and that Britain can't be in the single market without freedom of movement. So how is that going to be reconciled?

We are not going to be in the single market, just have some regulatory alignment with it to avoid a hard Brexit in Ireland.

In any case we are owed some concessions on freedom of movement after Blair refused to take the transition controls most EU nations took from 2004 to 2011 on free movement from the new accession nations
    It will indeed be exactly what I predicted about 3 days after the referendum. We will end up staying inside “versions” of the CU and SM but they will be called something else to save face. Classic eurofudge.

Where we go from there is the moot point.
    If we still can't control the influx of low skill workers or stop the ECJ from deciding our law, it will be a betrayal of the vote. The conservatives should rightly lose to Corbyn at the next election.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    One thing I think remainers who want a second referendum haven't taken into account is a second leave victory.

I think another referendum would result in another narrow win for leave. That vote would destroy any chance of remaining or even rejoining.

To me the second ref is a case of be careful what you wish for, at least in terms of remainers. I would personally relish the opportunity to win again. And I'm certain we would.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

welshowl said:

welshowl said:

The Tory party wouldn't be reneging on Brexit - it would have delivered a workable Brexit deal to the people, and it would be up to the people to decide.

I salute your indefatigablity.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Barnesian said:

Stronger Together.

HYUFD said:

While I have no doubt that Sam Coates has an inside track, his article doesn't explain what will be done about freedom of movement. The EU have consistently made it clear that the four freedoms are indivisible and that Britain can't be in the single market without freedom of movement. So how is that going to be reconciled?

We are not going to be in the single market, just have some regulatory alignment with it to avoid a hard Brexit in Ireland.

In any case we are owed some concessions on freedom of movement after Blair refused to take the transition controls most EU nations took from 2004 to 2011 on free movement from the new accession nations
    It will indeed be exactly what I predicted about 3 days after the referendum. We will end up staying inside “versions” of the CU and SM but they will be called something else to save face. Classic eurofudge.

Where we go from there is the moot point.
    That's what I predicted too.

In fact I took part in a debate before the referendum and made the point that even if Leave won, it would end up as BINO as the least worst solution. This would suck the air out of British politics for years to the detriment of more pressing problems such as housing and health.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

welshowl said:

welshowl said:

All the electoral logic and all the civil service momentum is with leaving. Yet tonight it seems like RemainersUtd,com on here.

I do worry sometimes that not only are some people unable to come to terms with their view of the country losing, but that they're unable to understand the county AT ALL.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

On the Royal Wedding, I'm on the indifferent side, but it must be a boost for tourism, if only from the extra Americans. For that reason, good on them.

Easy enough to avoid the telly for one day with such good weather. A sacrifice for the good of the country. Mrs Dent-Coady just sounds unnecessarily nasty.

It was very smart merchandising salary for the Royal Family to recruit an American in the lineup. Like Man Utd and Park
  • Options

Mortimer said:

welshowl said:

welshowl said:

Funny we didn’t get referendums on say Maastricht or Lisbon isn’t it? Wonder why Remainers are zealous converts to the cause now? Not one peep of a referendum on the subject in 41 long years and suddenly they want two to come along like busses all at once. Amazing isn’t it?
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    MaxPB said:

One thing I think remainers who want a second referendum haven't taken into account is a second leave victory.

I think another referendum would result in another narrow win for leave. That vote would destroy any chance of remaining or even rejoining.

To me the second ref is a case of be careful what you wish for, at least in terms of remainers. I would personally relish the opportunity to win again. And I'm certain we would.

As an example of that relishing the opportunity.

I didn't campaign last time. If we were forced into a second referendum, such would be my ire that I'd take 3 months off work, I'd offer my business address as a local HQ, and donate 10x my annual Tory party donation to the Yes Actually Leave Now campaign.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

As long as Leavers take the position of "It is flawed but vote Leave again as the first step for a real Brexit" it would win. The danger is people like Farage calling for Remain votes to get his relevance and MEP salary back.
  • Options
    Elliot said:

MaxPB said:

As long as Leavers take the position of "It is flawed but vote Leave again as the first step for a real Brexit" it would win. The danger is people like Farage calling for Remain votes to get his relevance and MEP salary back.
    I keep thinking of Michael Collins. Get out, it may be imperfect, but get out. Time is then on your side to wedge out step by step more completely.
  • Options
    Torby_FennelTorby_Fennel Posts: 438
    edited May 2018
    Mortimer said:

I do worry sometimes that not only are some people unable to come to terms with their view of the country losing, but that they're unable to understand the county AT ALL.

Almost a fair comment. Except I would add that neither side of the debate understands the thinking behind the values of the other side.

• Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    edited May 2018

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

Actually I see my polite lack of interest is generally shared - two thirds of the public aren't interested in the wedding (with little difference between the parties) and dislike it getting public funding, though they like the Queen and would not favour abolishing the monarchy (though only 30% feel strongly).

https://www.republic.org.uk/sites/default/files/Republic_MonarchyResults_180511.pdf

The wedding is not getting public funding, only the security which would be the same for any big event such as the wedding of the son or daughter or grandchild of a president
    LOL , we get to pay for over 5000 police and assorted thousands other lackeys. If only we could muster that amount of police catching criminals.
    PS: Given their vast fortunes have been robbed from the public we are paying for the whole sh*tfest. Given they are all unemployed they could not pay anything towards it without the public cash.
    I love the Royal Family for the reasoned comments that they generate like those above. I mean if we didn't have a queen we'd have a president - that would be great wouldn't it?
    Yes , democratic , rather than born to be head of state.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,836
    welshowl said:

Elliot said:

MaxPB said:

I keep thinking of Michael Collins. Get out, it may be imperfect, but get out. Time is then on your side to wedge out step by step more completely.
    I agree. 50% of what you want is better than none of it.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

MaxPB said:

I didn't campaign last time. If we were forced into a second referendum, such would be my ire that I'd take 3 months off work, I'd offer my business address as a local HQ, and donate 10x my annual Tory party donation to the Yes Actually Leave Now campaign.
    I think a lot of Leavers who voted last time but don't usually vote will think "They ignore us anyway so what's the f'ing point!" and stay at home.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,775

If we have a second referendum then Leave will get a bigger win. People really dislike being told they got it wrong and have to try again.
    I'd prefer that Megan Markle somehow decided for us that we shouldn't leave the EU rather than a second referendum did. I'm not a fan of royalty particularly, I'm very much not a fan of referendums, but I'm more than anything not a fan of having the same referendum twice. (Whilst the first hasn't been acted upon)

• Options
    Barnesian said:

Mortimer said:

MaxPB said:

I think a lot of Leavers who voted last time but don't usually vote will think "They ignore us anyway so what's the f'ing point!" and stay at home.
    Because underestimating the opposition worked so well last time, you choose to do it again?

Brave, Minister....
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Barnesian said:

Mortimer said:

MaxPB said:

Because underestimating the opposition worked so well last time, you choose to do it again?

Brave, Minister....
    I'm putting myself in their shoes. I'm not talking about the band of enthusiastic Brexiteers such as yourself. I'm talking about the sizeable number who voted to "send a message".
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

welshowl said:

Elliot said:

MaxPB said:

Have you by chance ever operated under the pseudonym of Nicholas William Peter Clegg, of Robinson College, Cambridge?
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    Why are Leavers so anti a referendum on the deal? They seem confident of winning.

Mortimer is offering to take 3 months off to campaign, to which I say - good! Democracy in action.

And I keep saying that I think Brexit would win. It would settle the argument for a generation.

I don’t want Brexit to be the only thing this country thinks and talks about for the next 10 years.
  • Options
    I wonder what press release about Brexit that Downing St will issue at noon tomorrow?
  • Options
    surbysurby Posts: 1,227
    Barnesian said:

I wonder what press release about Brexit that Downing St will issue at noon tomorrow?

"We are leaving the EU - but not quite!
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    Barnesian said:

Mortimer said:

MaxPB said:

I think there's a real danger that you may be right. It will mean that democracy is dead, for those people at least. If they want anything to change, ever, it will be no good trying the ballot box route. That has failed them, proven beyond all doubt.

What other routes does that open up? I find that frightening.

My hope would be that such people realise that their vote has the power to change things and that being asked to vote again proves the power of their vote.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

RobD said:

FPT

Monarchism is essentially a form of Socialism! "What are you on about, Sunil?" I hear you cry!

Well, consider:

1) Monarchs have a job for life, which is quintessentially Socialist!

2) The hereditary principle, a feature of Socialist dynasties around the world, such as the Kennedys in the USA, Nehru-Gandhis in India, and the Kims in North Korea!

3) Pomp and circumstance - Trooping the Colour is after all merely a toned down version of all those North Korean and (former) Soviet military parades!

So, my fellow PBers, I put it to you that Monarchism = Socialism!

:)

Black is essentially White! "What are you on about, Ben?" I hear you cry!

Well, consider:

1) Black is an extreme form of grey; so is White!

2) Black and White a both signifiers of plain truth, as in "it's there in black and white"!

3) Black is often used as a surname; so is White!

So, my fellow PBers, I put it to you that Black = White!

Be careful when you next encounter a zebra crossing.....
    What's a zebra crossing?
    A pelican with out his Belisha?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,815
    Scott_P said:
    No but... When they made those predictions nobody in their right mind could have foreseen Theresa May would finish up leading the negotiations...

We thought we couldn't find a worse negotiator than Cameron... And then we did...
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    No but... When they made those predictions nobody in their right mind could have foreseen Theresa May would finish up leading the negotiations...

We thought we couldn't find a worse negotiator than Cameron... And then we did...
    In fact to call it a "negotiation" is entirely false.

The EU have told Theresa what's going to happen and she's followed instructions to the letter.

And that is it.
  • Options

Why are Leavers so anti a referendum on the deal? They seem confident of winning.

Mortimer is offering to take 3 months off to campaign, to which I say - good! Democracy in action.

And I keep saying that I think Brexit would win. It would settle the argument for a generation.

I don’t want Brexit to be the only thing this country thinks and talks about for the next 10 years.

1) Democracy: We've already had a referendum where the Govt. told the people that they would follow their wishes. They've yet to follow their wishes and leave the EU.

2) Practicality: What does a good result look like? If it is Yes Actually Leave, the Remainers won't be happy. If it is Actually don't Leave, the Brexiteers won't be happy.

3, for about the thousandth time on here, and perhaps most importantly) Politics: It encourages the EU to give us a bad deal, and Remainers to conspire with the EU on this.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

David Davis had his chance. They all did.
    And the inevitable happened.
  • Options

To be fair you should suggest 'Lets have a referendum on whether there should be a second referendum on Brexit.'

If you want to propose such a thing then I think it's fair enough, but as I said earlier in the thread I think that Referendums are not the way to go.

'Let's just vote again because we didn't like the result' is just a catastrophe.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Mortimer said:

Barnesian said:

Mortimer said:

MaxPB said:

Brave, Minister....
    I'm putting myself in their shoes. I'm not talking about the band of enthusiastic Brexiteers such as yourself. I'm talking about the sizeable number who voted to "send a message".
    Have you considered that you don't really know their shoes?
  • Options
    Omnium said:

To be fair you should suggest 'Lets have a referendum on whether there should be a second referendum on Brexit.'

If you want to propose such a thing then I think it's fair enough, but as I said earlier in the thread I think that Referendums are not the way to go.

'Let's just vote again because we didn't like the result' is just a catastrophe.
    That’s not my argument.
    My argument is the the referendum last time was based on delusions. Both sides are now older and wider, and we actually have a substantive option to consider - not the nonsense conjured up by Osborne and Johnson respectively.

So let’s do it. Let’s have a referendum on the deal.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,203
    In response to @Morris_Dancer (fpt), who said this:

“Mr. Max, one has the sneaking suspicion it's mostly women who are into the wedding, because they're more into weddings generally. Be interesting to get some polling on that.”

You don’t need polling. Women are sensible people (someone has to be!) and we understand that it is love, marriage and families which are the important things in life. Not silly nonsense like Brexit.

• Options

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

Theresa May (remain) teamed up with Ollie Robbins (remain ultra) and Hammond (remain ultra) to force Davis out of the scene...

I don't know why David Davis didn't walk. In fact I don't know why all the Brexiteers don't walk and bring down the government.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,662
    edited May 2018
    SeanT said:

Elliot said:

CD13 said:

It was very smart merchandising salary for the Royal Family to recruit an American in the lineup. Like Man Utd and Park
    Not just an American, an extremely beautiful, intelligent, half-black American actress with a successful career behind her. No wonder it has confused so many lefties.

Meanwhile the actual heir to the throne has married the beautiful grand daughter - of a coaliminer.

The Royal Family is a lesson to us all in meritocracy and reinvention, even as politics becomes evermore dynastic and elitist, from the Clintons and Bushes to the Kinnocks and Blairs.

The irony is beyond piquant.
    "The Royal Family is a lesson to us all in meritocracy..."

Brilliant! Satire at its very best - nice one Sean!
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

Theresa May (remain) teamed up with Ollie Robbins (remain ultra) and Hammond (remain ultra) to force Davis out of the scene...

I don't know why David Davis didn't walk. In fact I don't know why all the Brexiteers don't walk and bring down the government.
    Probably because they've realised the reality of Brexit is a million miles away from their fantasy vision.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

Because they had to choose between fact and fantasy? As per the tweet upthread, NOTHING predicted or claimed by the Brexit gang has come true.

And it’s not just the ones in Cabinet. There’s a whole gang of headbangers on the backbenchers. They’ll suck it up too, because a “clean” Brexit doesn’t actually exist - not without trashing the economy.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,401
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

Because David Davis is as useful as a marzipan dildo.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

Because they had to choose between fact and fantasy? As per the tweet upthread, NOTHING predicted or claimed by the Brexit gang has come true.

Because Theresa May and Remain have been calling the shots and have made sure those predictions didn't or couldn't come true...

The establishment have sabotaged Brexit from within... But we'll have our revenge on the establishment when we vote en-masse for Corbyn who will then take a wrecking ball to the whole rotten edifice.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

Because Theresa May and Remain have been calling the shots and have made sure those predictions didn't or couldn't come true...

The establishment have sabotaged Brexit from within... But we'll have our revenge on the establishment when we vote en-masse for Corbyn who will then take a wrecking ball to the whole rotten edifice.
    What - Theresa “couldn’t manage her way out of a paper bag” May?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

Didn't you used to be a Conservative, GIN?
  • Options
    edited May 2018

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

My voting record:

1997 - Labour (Who didn't? :D )

2001 - (Didn't vote - Could see Blair was going power mad and Con had William Hague... Enough said))

2005 - Lib-Dem (Iraq)

2010 - Con (Get Brown Out)

2015 - Con (Keep Lab out)

2017 - Con (I believed Theresa...)

2022 - Lab ???? (Revenge on Con for ignoring my instructions in the referendum)
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

Barnesian said:

Mortimer said:

MaxPB said:

I think there's a real danger that you may be right. It will mean that democracy is dead, for those people at least. If they want anything to change, ever, it will be no good trying the ballot box route. That has failed them, proven beyond all doubt.

My hope would be that such people realise that their vote has the power to change things and that being asked to vote again proves the power of their vote.
    I think they'll just revert to not voting. What's the point. No other consequence. They'll get on with lives.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,836
    Omnium said:

Sean_F said:

welshowl said:

Elliot said:

MaxPB said:

Have you by chance ever operated under the pseudonym of Nicholas William Peter Clegg, of Robinson College, Cambridge?
    Never heard of him.
  • Options

Omnium said:

That’s not my argument.
    My argument is the the referendum last time was based on delusions. Both sides are now older and wider, and we actually have a substantive option to consider - not the nonsense conjured up by Osborne and Johnson respectively.

I do like 'older and wider' - even though it's a mistype :)

Perhaps you're right, and perhaps the bulk of the referendum votes were based on delusions. Why should the next referendum be otherwise?

There really is no place to go if you start re-running votes. Perhaps we should re-run GE2017. Labour then would win?! I think that it's probably true. But are you going to re-run it again when the Tories point out that GE2017mk2 - if our vote paid attention then we'd win, and sure enough they do.

• Options
    CynosargesCynosarges Posts: 44
    The problem is that Bercow has things backward.

The tradition is that the Speaker is dragged to the chair. Bercow appears determined to reverse the procedure by refusing to go until he is dragged FROM the chair.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Barnesian said:

AnneJGP said:

Barnesian said:

Mortimer said:

MaxPB said:

I think they'll just revert to not voting. What's the point. No other consequence. They'll get on with lives.
    A lot will vote for Corbyn in the knowledge he'll destroy the establishment who have thwarted them, IMO.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

"Britain Elects
    @britainelects
    5h5 hours ago

Westminster voting intention:

CON: 43% (-)
    LAB: 38% (-)
    LDEM: 9% (-)
    UKIP: 3% (+1)
    GRN: 3% (+1)
    [Oth]: 4% (-2)

via @YouGov, 13 - 14 May"

twitter.com/britainelects/status/997458152139509760

This is the 5th YouGov poll in a row with almost identical figures. Four of them were 43/38 and one 42/38.

On UNS that would see a Tory majority of about 14, gaining 17 seats from Labour but losing 2 to the LDs
    We've now had 20 polls and only one Labour lead over the last two months.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_next_United_Kingdom_general_election#2018
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Incidentally I am in Sardinia as I write this (and rather pleasant it is). Worth noting that Italy has just elected a properly eurosceptic Coalition.

And I mean proper. Not some milksop whingey fake sceptic Berlusconi bullshit. These guys are actively anti-Brussels. They hate the austerity imposed by Berlin and the euro.

Italy is not happy with the EU.

The idea we face some united European monolith is nonsense.

I'd like to see them create a parallel currency to the Euro. That's what the Greeks should have done.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

My voting record:

2001 - (Didn't vote - Could see Blair was going power mad and Con had William Hague... Enough said))

2005 - Lib-Dem (Iraq)

Fair enough - a proper swinger! I'll update my PB Poster database accordingly :smile:
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,333
    Cyclefree said:

“Mr. Max, one has the sneaking suspicion it's mostly women who are into the wedding, because they're more into weddings generally. Be interesting to get some polling on that.”

You don’t need polling. Women are sensible people (someone has to be!) and we understand that it is love, marriage and families which are the important things in life. Not silly nonsense like Brexit.

:) Although 54% of women say they aren't interested in the wedding (though I grant you that 79% of men say the same):

The findings are consistent across all age groups, polical preferences and regions. Some people like this sort of thing, most don't really care. Probably true of most things...
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

That’s not my argument.

Perhaps you're right, and perhaps the bulk of the referendum votes were based on delusions. Why should the next referendum be otherwise?

There really is no place to go if you start re-running votes. Perhaps we should re-run GE2017. Labour then would win?! I think that it's probably true. But are you going to re-run it again when the Tories point out that GE2017mk2 - if our vote paid attention then we'd win, and sure enough they do.
    We’ll we “re-run” elections every 5 years.
    But the point is that it’s not a re-run. We will have a concrete deal on the table.

Let the people have their say.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    Barnesian said:

AnneJGP said:

Barnesian said:

Mortimer said:

MaxPB said:

A way of disenfranchising by stealth? De-motivate the potential voters who've shown themselves not of your opinion?

I gather some firms indulge in de-training unwanted staff so that they get fed up & resign, without the firm having to pay redundancy or get involved in tribunals.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Omnium said:

Sean_F said:

welshowl said:

Elliot said:

MaxPB said:

Never heard of him.
    I congratulate you on having made precisely the right response.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Barnesian said:

AnneJGP said:

Barnesian said:

Mortimer said:

MaxPB said:

A lot will vote for Corbyn in the knowledge he'll destroy the establishment who have thwarted them, IMO.
    Could be. That's an upside.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

SeanT said:

Incidentally I am in Sardinia as I write this (and rather pleasant it is). Worth noting that Italy has just elected a properly eurosceptic Coalition.

And I mean proper. Not some milksop whingey fake sceptic Berlusconi bullshit. These guys are actively anti-Brussels. They hate the austerity imposed by Berlin and the euro.

I'd like to see them create a parallel currency to the Euro. That's what the Greeks should have done.
    The trouble is that their debt is denominated in Euros. But yes, they ought to somehow untangle themselves from the Eurozone.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

:) Although 54% of women say they aren't interested in the wedding (though I grant you that 79% of men say the same):

The findings are consistent across all age groups, polical preferences and regions. Some people like this sort of thing, most don't really care. Probably true of most things...
    The percentage "uninterested" seems to be larger this time despite wall to wall coverage across all channels.

Relative to other such weddings, this one appears to me to be more "interesting".
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

IMO it's annoying that broadcasters like Channel 4 News and the BBC, who are usually relatively sceptical about traditional institutions like the monarchy, seem to suddenly adopt a obsessive interest in the royal family whenever a wedding is about to take place. You would expect the Daily Mail and Express to be like that but not the BBC.
    Oh for God’s sake! Chill. It’s once in a blue moon. The last one was 7 years ago. Why not? It’s fun to watch and the pageantry is something we’re actually good at.

We have to put up with endless bloody football on the tele or snooker or other dull, incomprehensible sports we’re crap at. More people enjoy gardening than almost any other activity and yet we have to have the only TV programme dedicated to it taken off the schedules to accommodate some bloody minority sport.

If you’re not interested, go for a walk. The TV schedules will be full of dreary garbage suitable for misanthropes again soon enough........
  • Options

Barnesian said:

SeanT said:

The trouble is that their debt is denominated in Euros. But yes, they ought to somehow untangle themselves from the Eurozone.
    The strong countries should create the parallel currency, and the debt would be domimated in the weak one.

But they won't do it because it would be a backwards step for European integration and that comes before all else.
  • Options

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

That’s not my argument.
    My argument is the the referendum last time was based on delusions. Both sides are now older and wider, and we actually have a substantive option to consider - not the nonsense conjured up by Os and Jorespectively.

We’ll we “re-run” elections every 5 years.
    But the point is that it’s not a re-run. We will have a concrete deal on the table.

Let the people have their say.
    A GE delivers a change in, for example, the finger on the Nuclear button within 24hrs. I wouldn't advocate having a daily General Election, but I can't find a reason to argue against it. Some mechanism (The Referendum) that hangs about like a bad smell without having any ability to actually deliver is simply a horror story. Compounding the horror is clearly unwise.

I have every sympathy with Remainers, I did finish up voting leave, but anything I can be bothered to explain would have suggested remain, and all my friends were and are remainers. However, I voted leave on purely economic grounds.

Had 'Leave' lost then the 'lets vote again' stuff really would have been derided. Farage pontificating about 'they didn't understand what the status quo meant'!?

Once the ghastly process of delivering on what people have already said is complete, then we can see what they might want to say next. Any interruption has to be a deliberate interruption of process rather than destination.
  • Options
    juniusjunius Posts: 73

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

My voting record:

2005 - Lib-Dem (Iraq)

Fair enough - a proper swinger! I'll update my PB Poster database accordingly :smile:
  • Options
    Off topic, another Tory council (Somerset) teetering on the edge of bankruptcy...

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/may/18/tory-council-at-risk-of-bankruptcy-slams-broken-funding-system

Anyone still asking: 'Austerity, what austerity?'
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,432
    surby said:

Cyclefree said:

The percentage "uninterested" seems to be larger this time despite wall to wall coverage across all channels.

Relative to other such weddings, this one appears to me to be more "interesting".
    Last time around, though, the wedding was at least of some constitutional importance. The chances of Harry or any of his offspring becoming monarch seem so remote as to allow us to treat this wedding with the good-natured polite indifference that we treat most weddings of strangers with.

Granted, maybe people aren't necessarily decide on their interest in something base don their constitutional importance.

My very minor beef with this whole palaver is that ardent royalists assume we're all interested. I'm interested in rugby. I love the 6 nations, it's the highlight of my televisual year. But I don't assume everyone else shares my interest, nor express incredulity when other's don't know which weekend England are playing Wales. I don't mind the wedding, I wish them well, I don't even mind the coverage, but I bristle very slightly when it is assumed that I will be watching and will have an opinion, apart from the vaguely that's-nice-for-them opinion that any reasonable person would have about any pair of strangers getting married.

All that said, this is a very minor grumble. If people like watching royal weddings, I really don't mind.
  • Options

Off topic, another Tory council (Somerset) teetering on the edge of bankruptcy...

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/may/18/tory-council-at-risk-of-bankruptcy-slams-broken-funding-system

Doesn't the glorious JRM have his constituency in that part of the country? :D
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,333
    AnneJGP said:

A way of disenfranchising by stealth? De-motivate the potential voters who've shown themselves not of your opinion?

I gather some firms indulge in de-training unwanted staff so that they get fed up & resign, without the firm having to pay redundancy or get involved in tribunals.

Horrid. It's apparently a recognised though clearly unpleasant political strategy in the US - "voter suppression" by encouraging disillusion among people who won't vote for you. I've heard that there has been some interest in it at Tory Central Office, though that's an unconfirmed rumour.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Doesn't the glorious JRM have his constituency in that part of the country? :D
    He does. Presumably Somerset County Council's problems are due to the EU and/or Labour.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

True she does not play poker but prefers snap.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

surby said:

Cyclefree said:

Last time around, though, the wedding was at least of some constitutional importance. The chances of Harry or any of his offspring becoming monarch seem so remote as to allow us to treat this wedding with the good-natured polite indifference that we treat most weddings of strangers with.

Granted, maybe people aren't necessarily decide on their interest in something base don their constitutional importance.

My very minor beef with this whole palaver is that ardent royalists assume we're all interested. I'm interested in rugby. I love the 6 nations, it's the highlight of my televisual year. But I don't assume everyone else shares my interest, nor express incredulity when other's don't know which weekend England are playing Wales. I don't mind the wedding, I wish them well, I don't even mind the coverage, but I bristle very slightly when it is assumed that I will be watching and will have an opinion, apart from the vaguely that's-nice-for-them opinion that any reasonable person would have about any pair of strangers getting married.

All that said, this is a very minor grumble. If people like watching royal weddings, I really don't mind.
    Rugby=not football. That's their interest. You can't reasonably ask the Queen what her view on 'the England team' is. Should you be able to do so then the Monarchy is over.
  • Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047

The tradition is that the Speaker is dragged to the chair. Bercow appears determined to reverse the procedure by refusing to go until he is dragged FROM the chair.

Not sure what the fuss is about. Andrea Leadsom is a stupid woman.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Fenman said:

It's unseemly for the Speaker to say so though.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Fenman said:

Would you be so relaxed if he called Emily Thornberry a "stupid woman" ?

Presumably you have no problem with the Speaker throwing out personal abuse from the Speakers chair to any MP whenever he feels like it?
  • Options
    Fenman said:

Good point. Speaker tells the truth, shock-horror!
  • Options

Fenman said:

Maybe he should tell Diane Abbott she's as thick as two short planks next time she's at the Dispatch box???
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311

Fenman said:

It doesn't matter that it's the truth. The role of speaker is supposed to be impartial.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979

AnneJGP said:

Horrid. It's apparently a recognised though clearly unpleasant political strategy in the US - "voter suppression" by encouraging disillusion among people who won't vote for you. I've heard that there has been some interest in it at Tory Central Office, though that's an unconfirmed rumour.
    When it comes to Tory HQ, nothing would surprise me. No wonder Theresa May called it the nasty party! Politics as John Major once said is "a rough trade" but the depths of degradation it currently plumbs is depressing.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Fenman said:

Presumably you have no problem with the Speaker throwing out personal abuse from the Speakers chair to any MP whenever he feels like it?
    Could there be any possibility of sponsorship in this?

A clear statement of fact by a clear voice, for example 'Ms Thornberry, you're a stupid woman', perhaps conducted once every 24hrs, and twice on sundays, would I feel go some way to me making peace with the universe.

Mr G, your'e on to something!
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    SeanT said:

Cyclefree said:

AndyJS said:

IMO it's annoying that broadcasters like Channel 4 News and the BBC, who are usually relatively sceptical about traditional institutions like the monarchy, seem to suddenly adopt a obsessive interest in the royal family whenever a wedding is about to take place. You would expect the Daily Mail and Express to be like that but not the BBC.
    Oh for God’s sake! Chill. It’s once in a blue moon. The last one was 7 years ago. Why not? It’s fun to watch and the pageantry is something we’re actually good at.

We have to put up with endless bloody football on the tele or snooker or other dull, incomprehensible sports we’re crap at. More people enjoy gardening than almost any other activity and yet we have to have the only TV programme dedicated to it taken off the schedules to accommodate some bloody minority sport.

If you’re not interested, go for a walk. The TV schedules will be full of dreary garbage suitable for misanthropes again soon enough........

I sometimes feel that anti-monarchists resent the pleasure others gain from royalty
    What proportion are like that I have no idea, but when it comes to the most vocal there does seem to be an element of it. I mean, I am a monarchist and I'm not that interested in the whole business (other than having been a big fan of Suits and it really is not hard to avoid things if you are not interested, so while its fine to get somewhat annoyed, as it is indeed not a big deal, there's no need to worked up angry about it either.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    AndyJS said:

Fenman said:

It's unseemly for the Speaker to say so though.
    He's alleged to have calld Leadsom a stupid woman under his breath; hardly a sackable offence. Smacks of another doomed attempt by the Tories to eject him following the 2015 fiasco.
  • Options

Fenman said:

It doesn't matter that it's the truth. The role of speaker is supposed to be impartial.
    No Speaker has backed backbenchers more than Bercow. What exactly is his crime ? He called Loathsome "stupid", right ? So you want him to lie instead ?
  • Options

Fenman said:

That's a rather odd attitude hold if I may say so. While it comes as no surprise to hear allegations that Bercow is a prat I don't think it's the sort of thing that would lead to him being forced to resign either, but for all we political anoraks like to mock and belittle MPs, and many deserve it, it is surely not really the job of the Speaker to lambast people on a personal level? Getting a bit theatrical at people chuntering from sedentary positions seems like a personal style some Speakers may want to go for, but being overtly hostile about MPs on a personal level doesn't feel right.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    SeanT said:

ps

Here In Italy, looking at CNN’s coverage of the wedding I’d say that, incidentally, the images of a beautiful, sunlit Windsor and regal London are probably worth about a billion to the British tourist industry.

Surely your Clapton memories cloud them out! 'Cairo to Clapton' - how did you ever arrive at such a phrase?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Fenman said:

No. I would not want him to call T May a stupid woman either. Certainly not Heidi Allen.

But Loathsome is different. She said she would make a better PM compared to May because she was a mother!
  • Options
    SeanT said:

ps

Here In Italy, looking at CNN’s coverage of the wedding I’d say that, incidentally, the images of a beautiful, sunlit Windsor and regal London are probably worth about a billion to the British tourist industry.

Good thing it isn't a typical grey British day then I guess!
  • Options
    SeanT said:

ps

I think that's a fair point Sean. I'm no monarchist but I suspect they are a net contributor to the UK economy given the tourism they generate.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

surby said:

Cyclefree said:

Sports fans assume everyone else is interested in sport. So do tv schedulers and the news channels. Even this forum.

Much like you I bristle slightly when it is assumed that I know or care about some sporting event or other or the fate of some football manager and yet these matters seem to take up an inordinate amount of coverage in the press or time in tv schedules.

This week Beth Chatto, a famous and influential gardener, who pioneered the art of gardening in areas of low water, something of real value given climate change etc, died.

No mention in the news. Some retired football manager going into hospital gets front page treatment.

And, as a point of historical record, 2 out of our last 3 crowned monarchs were second sons. It would seem unlikely that this will be repeated after Charles but one never knows......
  • Options
    surby said:

Fenman said:

No Speaker has backed backbenchers more than Bercow. What exactly is his crime ? He called Loathsome "stupid", right ? So you want him to lie instead ?
    His support of backbenchers is a positive, to be sure. But it's not about lying - there's no need for him to personally insult MPs in that way. It's not like it's resignation worthy on its own, but I am flabbergasted at the idea 'it's the truth' is a defence. Lots of MPs are stupid and useless no doubt, should the Speaker start naming and shaming them at the end of each parliamentary day? It's unnecessary, and belittles his position more than the object of his ire.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    surby said:

Fenman said:

What about (allegedly) bullying his staff (just normal people doing a normal job) and then refusing co-operate with a Parliamentary investigation into the allegations?

And as your so "relaxed" about the Speaker abusing any MP he feels like I assume you would have not problem with him calling Thornberry a "stupid woman" or Abbott " as thick as two short planks" etc?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Fenman said:

That's a rather odd attitude hold if I may say so. While it comes as no surprise to hear allegations that Bercow is a prat I don't think it's the sort of thing that would lead to him being forced to resign either, but for all we political anoraks like to mock and belittle MPs, and many deserve it, it is surely not really the job of the Speaker to lambast people on a personal level? Getting a bit theatrical at people chuntering from sedentary positions seems like a personal style some Speakers may want to go for, but being overtly hostile about MPs on a personal level doesn't feel right.
    Even his accusers seem to be saying it was an off-the-cuff aside. Those who have long had Bercow in their sights are bigging this up imho.
  • Options
    surby said:

GIN1138 said:

Fenman said:

No. I would not want him to call T May a stupid woman either. Certainly not Heidi Allen.

But Loathsome is different. She said she would make a better PM compared to May because she was a mother!
    And a very silly comment that was too. What does that have to do with whether it is appropriate for the Speaker to engage in personal insults?
This discussion has been closed.