Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Polling boost for TMay as she takes a “best PM” lead amongst y

124»

Comments

• Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    AndyJS said:

"Russian leader Vladimir Putin and his allies are continuing to use London as a base for their "corrupt assets", according to a foreign affairs committee report."

https://news.sky.com/story/mps-scathing-report-says-uk-is-turning-blind-eye-to-putins-dirty-money-11380342

If you're trying to run a serious financial sector and it's not being used for corrupt assets then you're doing it wrong, because people with corrupt assets have fairly similar needs to people with non-corrupt assets.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,980
    Good afternoon, everyone.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962

Good afternoon, everyone.

Afternoon, comrade Dancer.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,555
    edited May 2018
    rpjs said:

Nigelb said:

MaxPB said:

Anazina said:

felix said:

Yorkcity said:

HYUFD said:
    She'd probably get more support if she'd said scrap it because it's a bit shit.
    God Save the Queen is the Theresa May of national anthems. Unimaginative and uninspiring, it remains only because no-one can agree on the best replacement.
    At least England should have an anthem.

My suggestion:

'Everyday Is Like Sunday' by Morrissey
    Jerusalem or Chariots of fire - although to be fair the former includes the latter.
    Yes. Jerusalem is the clear choice – and is already used as the English anthem at the Commonwealth Games. I have no idea why we continue to use GSTQ – which is a dirge (this is not a republican point, I simply think the tune is not uplifting at all, which is kind of the point in sports – witness instead Land of All My Fathers and the Marseillaise)
    I vow to thee my country, would be my first choice. Though a bit nationalistic for pacifist lefties.
    Any song with 'thee' in the title sounds more suitable to be the national anthem of Yorkshire.
    What, like the former US national anthem ?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Country,_'Tis_of_Thee
    On those few times we were present at a singing of GSTQ when we lived in the UK, my wife insisted on singing the lyrics of My Country 'Tis of Thee. When we decided to move to the US I threatened to learn the lyrics of Anacreon in Heaven, the old English drinking song that gave the melody to The Star Spangled Banner, but never bothered to as a) they're incredibly dull and b) no-one actually sings the US national anthem in public here: it's always sung (usually very poorly) by a single guest singer while everyone stands respectfully.
    I love the Star Spangled Banner - it's almost unsingable for many, with its octave and a half range.

And the lyrics are pleasingly absurd (admittedly it's not unique in that).
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,056
    Nigelb said:

MaxPB said:

Anazina said:

felix said:

Yorkcity said:

HYUFD said:
    God Save the Queen is the Theresa May of national anthems. Unimaginative and uninspiring, it remains only because no-one can agree on the best replacement.

My suggestion:

Jerusalem or Chariots of fire - although to be fair the former includes the latter.
    Yes. Jerusalem is the clear choice – and is already used as the English anthem at the Commonwealth Games. I have no idea why we continue to use GSTQ – which is a dirge (this is not a republican point, I simply think the tune is not uplifting at all, which is kind of the point in sports – witness instead Land of All My Fathers and the Marseillaise)
    I vow to thee my country, would be my first choice. Though a bit nationalistic for pacifist lefties.
    Any song with 'thee' in the title sounds more suitable to be the national anthem of Yorkshire.
    What, like the former US national anthem ?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Country,_'Tis_of_Thee
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=034fNYyY9HU
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,240

AndyJS said:

"Russian leader Vladimir Putin and his allies are continuing to use London as a base for their "corrupt assets", according to a foreign affairs committee report."

https://news.sky.com/story/mps-scathing-report-says-uk-is-turning-blind-eye-to-putins-dirty-money-11380342

If you're trying to run a serious financial sector and it's not being used for corrupt assets then you're doing it wrong, because people with corrupt assets have fairly similar needs to people with non-corrupt assets.
    Well yes, obviously. But we are supposed to pretend differently.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    Pulpstar said:

Yorkcity said:

MaxPB said:

Anazina said:

felix said:

Yorkcity said:

HYUFD said:

My suggestion:

South Yorkshire , maybe ? Never hear that in York.
    Does anyone work Nine while five in York ?
    I never did , always on shift.

Aviva have a big place here , so some office workers I guess.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546

rkrkrk said:

What I'd really like is a set of MPs from a diverse range of backgrounds - personal and professional. Fat chance of that though.

I think it's good to have people connected with the local area (albeit not exclusively I would say). I think she is a former social worker which I suspect is a very underrepresented profession in parliament.
    I've always felt this (diverse expertise) would be a good criterion for the Lords - it would make more sense if the revising chamber had a really good mix of professions and backgrounds, rather than merely people who've risen near the top of the more prestigious professions (plus 91 people whose ancestors were once nice to the king). Definitely good to have Nobel prize-winners and former PM and business leaders, but could do with some lorry-drivers, care workers, recent squaddies, etc.
    Use the jury system. Have people serve for one Parliamentary session from Queen's Speech to Queen's Speech.
    That's a great idea in principle. But you're basically insisting on a couple of years career break for the lucky few - some would embrace it, others would see it a huge sacrifice and too great to bear. And just imagine Guido going through their twitter history.....
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

Yorkcity said:

MaxPB said:

Anazina said:

felix said:

Yorkcity said:

HYUFD said:

My suggestion:

South Yorkshire , maybe ? Never hear that in York.
    Wheear 'ast tha bin sin' ah saw thee, ah saw thee?
    On Ilkla Mooar baht 'at
    Played football against Barnsley once , many years ago.

Was like hearing a different language , to the York dialect.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,629
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962
    New thread...
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,930

Anazina said:

felix said:

Yorkcity said:

HYUFD said:

My suggestion:

To really annoy the French, choose 'All You Need is Love'.
    Seriously 'La Marseillaise' must be the best national anthem of them all.
    The Polish national anthem can give it a run for its money - especially with the Elgar orchestration.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    Pulpstar said:

FF43 said:

Sean_F said:

TGOHF said:
    My guess is that most Catholics who say don't know would in fact vote for Unification, leading to a win of about 62-65% for the pro-Union side.
    I am picking up a strong sentiment coming from Northern Ireland to not rock the boat. It gets very unpredictable if Brexit does indeed rock the boat.
    I don't think it does. "Remain in the UK & Leave the EU" overwhemingly beats "Remain in the EU and join the Irish Republic" in a forced choice poll I think.
    It isn't cricket though, to take advantage of the sectarian divide in order to damp down justified opposition to Brexit. And the resentment thus caused will bite someone on the bum a few years down the line.
This discussion has been closed.