Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » On the betting markets punters don’t buy the speculation that

Comments

• Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    DavidL said:

Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

It’s not just school curricula that is being simplified is it? Who thought that was a useful explanation?
    Just what is wrong with it ?

At heart the deficit is a very simply concept.
    You don’t find that patronising? Wow.
    I'd find it more patronising if people didn't get it wrong all the time - including Prime Ministers, other politicians, journalists, economists etc
  • JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    Pulpstar said:

Polling evidence about the wrongness of Mr. Eagles (again), this time about meals:
    https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/998867148071202816

Nottinghamshire surprises me . Anyway it is Breakfast, lunch then tea as per the cricket.
    Day/night games have Tea(20min) and Dinner(40min) breaks, according to the ECB
    https://www.ecb.co.uk/news/526479
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Mr. Glenn, no. Despite what EU-philes might dream of, the UK never wanted to throw away our currency and monetary policy.

That Lammy letter looks bloody horrendous.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,265

Pulpstar said:

Polling evidence about the wrongness of Mr. Eagles (again), this time about meals:

Nottinghamshire surprises me . Anyway it is Breakfast, lunch then tea as per the cricket.
    Calling the evening meal “tea” is the sign of a savage.
    The first time I was selected as a candidate, I'd never been to Notts before, and had been living abroad. I had a meal in a cafe and noticed that they offered mushy peas. I thought this was an honest confession - didn't realise anyone actually thought it a good thing.

I acclimatised, and now positively prefer them.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789

Mr. Glenn, no. Despite what EU-philes might dream of, the UK never wanted to throw away our currency and monetary policy.

Why do you think Hague's 2001 general election campaign was such an abject failure? (Several orders of magnitude worse than May 2017.)
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,776

I love all these Leavers who are absolutely certain they'd win another vote, but definitely don't want one, as they'd so obviously win...

They're frit, I tell you, FRIT!

I'm so sure England will win the World Cup, I think we should withdraw and not even play the group stage games...

Why give your opponent a chance, when you don't need to?
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Mr. Glenn, wasn't into politics then, so hard to comment.
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Kevin Schofield - @PolhomeEditor: Unison's Wendy Nichols has been elected vice-chair of Labour National Executive Committee, beating Andi Fox of the TSSA 18-17 at today's NEC meeting. Jeremy Corbyn dialled into the meeting to vote for Fox, who was also backed by Momentum.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,883

Would Dubya have gone ahead?

Yes. Giving the UK forces the consolation prize of Basra made the whole enterprise more difficult and complicated than it otherwise would have been.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,546

They have not been voted in, and they could not be voted in until they had met the AC - which, as I show above, was happening very slowly.

I look forward to you attending your next job interview and, as a candidate, asking for the keys to the executive washroom and for your name on a parking space as you shake their hands at the end.

In fact, Turkey weren't even at the interview stage. They were a pimply 12-year old Geek sending a letter to join NASA, and being told: "Sure, we'd love to consider you, but only when you pass all your exams and meet all these other criteria."

(worst. analogy. ever.)

I would only expect keys, parking space etc (if they go with the job) once I'd joined not before. Nobody said that Turkey had joined the EU.
    Yet you think they were 'joining', despite all the evidence to the contrary. They were negotiating to join, which is a very different thing.

If they were 'joining', as you think, then what was their date of entry?
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,780

DavidL said:

Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

It’s not just school curricula that is being simplified is it? Who thought that was a useful explanation?

I'd find it more patronising if people didn't get it wrong all the time - including Prime Ministers, other politicians, journalists, economists etc
    Okay, okay. Sigh.
  • Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,235

Roger said:

Just listening to Tony Blair on Radio 4. Don't we miss him. So articulate. So persuasive.

'Boris Johnson has been touring Argentina Chile and Peru. We do less than 6% of the trade with these countries than we do .......with Ireland'

'Lets get this in perspective. We do less trade with Australia Canada New Zealand and India than we do....... with Holland'

He believes that another referendum would reverse the result because the issues weren't understood and now we've delved into them the issues can be simply explained.

....and he's completely right.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b39v0d#play

(about 8.50AM)

Tone is a strange case. Maggie was always loathed/loved in equal measure. But to go, as Tone did, from being universally adored to a political pariah in a few years is surely unprecedented. (Even Richard Nixon had his defenders.) Was it just about Iraq? How would Tone be viewed now if he had told Dubya to take a leap all those years ago?
    Would Dubya have gone ahead?
    Almost certainly yes: the NeoCons were convinced they could alter the course of human history towards goodness and light. It was a seductive potion many sipped.
    Sort of like pro-Europeans view of Europe as a force for good.
    Yes, it's ironic that NeoCons like Liam Fox were happy to model their plans for the Middle East on post-war European liberalism whilst wanting to extricate Britain from the same. There was almost a kind of Orwellian double-think going on.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    edited May 2018
    DavidL said:

Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

It doesn't get into the difference between borrowing and deficit, omits mention of the difference between capital and current spend but for a simple explanation of the "deficit" it is fine.
    Are you in a line of work where overcomplication is required or some such ?
    iain watson - @iainjwatson: The contest to replace Jennie Formby as vice chair of the #labour NEC has concluded - two union candidates contested it but I am hearing the one seem as closer to the leadership (andi fox of TSSA) has been very narrowly defeated by Wendy Nichols of UNISON

Is it possible we have passed Peak Corbyn?
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,165

Why do you think Hague's 2001 general election campaign was such an abject failure? (Several orders of magnitude worse than May 2017.)
    In part because people didn't think there was a genuine chance of Britain joining the Euro.

Times change.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,756
    HYUFD said:

New Yougov for the Times

Tories 42%
    Labour 38%
    LDs 9%

https://mobile.twitter.com/NCPoliticsUK/status/998847837801762817

Tories unchanged from GE 2017 but 2% swing from Labour to the LDs on this poll

I thought it was traditional to compare with last poll from the same company.

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/998889832859529216

• TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,756
    edited May 2018

Roger said:

Just listening to Tony Blair on Radio 4. Don't we miss him. So articulate. So persuasive.

'Boris Johnson has been touring Argentina Chile and Peru. We do less than 6% of the trade with these countries than we do .......with Ireland'

'Lets get this in perspective. We do less trade with Australia Canada New Zealand and India than we do....... with Holland'

He believes that another referendum would reverse the result because the issues weren't understood and now we've delved into them the issues can be simply explained.

(about 8.50AM)

Tone is a strange case. Maggie was always loathed/loved in equal measure. But to go, as Tone did, from being universally adored to a political pariah in a few years is surely unprecedented. (Even Richard Nixon had his defenders.) Was it just about Iraq? How would Tone be viewed now if he had told Dubya to take a leap all those years ago?
    I think a lot of people (many of them Tories) feel they were made a fool of. That always ramps up the loathing & vengeful anger rate.
    Apparently I use tea or dinner !
    Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

It doesn't get into the difference between borrowing and deficit, omits mention of the difference between capital and current spend but for a simple explanation of the "deficit" it is fine.
    Are you in a line of work where overcomplication is required or some such ?
    Only when my client has something to hide!
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,980
    Tea is something you drink.

You might as well call your evening meal ‘coffee’ or ‘pineapple juice’
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

They have not been voted in, and they could not be voted in until they had met the AC - which, as I show above, was happening very slowly.

I look forward to you attending your next job interview and, as a candidate, asking for the keys to the executive washroom and for your name on a parking space as you shake their hands at the end.

In fact, Turkey weren't even at the interview stage. They were a pimply 12-year old Geek sending a letter to join NASA, and being told: "Sure, we'd love to consider you, but only when you pass all your exams and meet all these other criteria."

(worst. analogy. ever.)

I would only expect keys, parking space etc (if they go with the job) once I'd joined not before. Nobody said that Turkey had joined the EU.
    Yet you think they were 'joining', despite all the evidence to the contrary. They were negotiating to join, which is a very different thing.

There was no date set, they were in the negotiations stage of the joining procedure.
  • DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    tlg86 said:

In part because people didn't think there was a genuine chance of Britain joining the Euro.

Times change.
    Hague's campaign ranks with Lord Lucan's whereabouts as one of the great mysteries of the age. Hague campaigned against joining the Euro -- which had already been ruled out by Labour. Did Hague not read the newspapers? Then, allegedly, CCHQ would filter out honest but adverse reports so Hague never learned how badly this was going down on the doorstep.
    BTW, is it worth reflecting that the same people who predict that we will be tenths of a percent worse off in a decade or so were more than 10% out in their forecast of our deficit a single month away from the end of the financial year?

tlg86 said:

Times change.
    Hague's campaign ranks with Lord Lucan's whereabouts as one of the great mysteries of the age. Hague campaigned against joining the Euro -- which had already been ruled out by Labour. Did Hague not read the newspapers? Then, allegedly, CCHQ would filter out honest but adverse reports so Hague never learned how badly this was going down on the doorstep.
    I think I've seen our own Mr Herdson say the most frustrating thing about 2001 was the poor targeting of seats. If the Tories had been more cautious in their targeting, they could have picked up a few more seats.
    If the Tories want to get beaten like morning wood then they’ll call a snap election as they fracture over Brexit.

You can see them having individual manifestos.

JRM and the ERG have their own diamond hard Brexit manifesto whilst the likes of NiMo and Grieve fight on a personal manifesto of soft/EEA Brexit.
    Pulpstar said:

Apparently I use tea or dinner !

I come home for my tea but go out for dinner. #confused
  • SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704

tlg86 said:

Times change.
    You have to campaign on 'something'. In 2001, Labour were still very much in honeymoon period even 4 years after being in power. Better to have someting simple to build something around, even if its not much.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,718

Hague in 2001 had an impossible job, rather like Foot in 1983, Blair like Thatcher then was re elected easily but Hague at least got the Tory base out and ensured the Tories did not fall even further from their 1997 nadir
    edited May 2018

If the Tories want to get beaten like morning wood then they’ll call a snap election as they fracture over Brexit.

You can see them having individual manifestos.

JRM and the ERG have their own diamond hard Brexit manifesto whilst the likes of NiMo and Grieve fight on a personal manifesto of soft/EEA Brexit.

You could say exactly the same about Labour and the differing personal manifestos of Kate Hoey and John Mann backing hard Brexit and Chuka Umunna and Ben Bradshaw backing the EEA/second EU referendum
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,926
    DavidL said:

Roger said:

(about 8.50AM)

We are all used to politicians being lying bastards, it is their function. But for the PM of this country to lie to the HoC and the country about intelligence to persuade us to go to war was unforgivable. He should have gone to jail.
    Tony Blair also introduced student tuition fees.

tlg86 said:

Times change.
    I think Hague was on a hiding to nothing. In 1997 the public had rather decided that it would give New Labour an eight year shot at things, almost as a gesture of goodwill after all those years in the wilderness. 2001 was nothing more than a rubber-stamping exercise.
    edited May 2018

Another thing I apparently do is rhyme bɑth with arse (bɑːth) and ɡrass with ass (ɡɹ̠as), perhaps I'm just a citizen of nowhere :o
  • DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

tlg86 said:

Times change.
    You have to campaign on 'something'. In 2001, Labour were still very much in honeymoon period even 4 years after being in power. Better to have someting simple to build something around, even if its not much.
    You don't build a Tory election campaign around what is already Labour policy. Vote for us, we'll do the same as them? Page 94 of the manifesto, perhaps, along with the motherhood and apple pie stuff but not the central campaign.

Dura_Ace said:

Roger said:

'We do less trade with the whole Commonwealth than we do with Germany....'

(about 8.50AM)

If only he'd chosed to spend his political capital on the Euro instead of Iraq.
    Quite right. Iraq was worse than Suez as a killer of reputations.

That of course was BC. Before Cameron.
    BCE, thank you very much. Before the Cameron Era :)
    Pulpstar said:

Another thing I apparently do is rhyme bɑth with arse (bɑːth)

Those words don't rhyme. In any accent
    Pulpstar said:

Another thing I apparently do is rhyme bɑth with arse (bɑːth) and ɡrass with ass (ɡɹ̠as), perhaps I'm just a citizen of nowhere :o
    The ultimate litmus test.

How do you pronounce

a) Bath (as in the town)

b) bath where you wash yourself

How do you pronounce

a) Bath (as in the town)

FFS, the town is named for the activity. It's the same word in both cases

tlg86 said:

Times change.
    You don't build a Tory election campaign around what is already Labour policy. Vote for us, we'll do the same as them? Page 94 of the manifesto, perhaps, along with the motherhood and apple pie stuff but not the central campaign.
    The failure of the pro Euro Conservative Party shows there was no point Hague taking a different line
    For me it is Baarth and baff.

Do you also do that weird Sheffield thing of calling bread rolls 'bread cakes'?
    I have dropped into a full blown Yorkshire accent, which means whenever I say ‘couldn’t’ I drop the c-bomb

The P is silent. As in bath...

I am not restarting the whole cobs v baps debate.

Pulpstar said:

How do you pronounce

a) Bath (as in the town)

Long "a" in both cases.

I have dropped into a full blown Yorkshire accent, which means whenever I say ‘couldn’t’ I drop the c-bomb

So why does you support a footie team from (historic) Lancashire????
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,979

HYUFD said:

New Yougov for the Times

Tories 42%
    Labour 38%
    LDs 9%

Electoral calculus on EMA

Con 315 (-3)
    Lab 259 (-3)
    LD 16 (+4)

Con 11 short of a majority. Basically no change.
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    First hit in a search for new countries joining the eu:

Joining the EU
    Albania.
    Bosnia and Herzegovina.
    Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia.
    Kosovo*
    Montenegro.
    Serbia.
    Turkey.

Useful guidance on the ordinary meaning of "joining", from the eu website . All this desperate stuff to the contrary is like saying on saturday morning that harry was not marrying meghan because he might be but what if someone piped up with a just impediment?

But anyway the gravamen of the Turkey charge is not that it was false, surely? If we could amend xenophobic liar to xenophobic mischief maker on the standard charge sheet we wouldn't have to keep having this particular argument.

I am not restarting the whole cobs v baps debate.
    Fancy a chip batch ?
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,082

Do you mean Cobs?

edited May 2018

It was the 80s.

I wasn’t allowed to go to football matches, Liverpool were the only team on the telly, plus my Dad liked them too.

You can change your job, citizenship, name, heck you can even change your wife but you can never change the football team you support.
    Ketchup or Brown Sauce?
    Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

New Yougov for the Times

Tories 42%
    Labour 38%
    LDs 9%

Electoral calculus on EMA

Con 315 (-3)
    Lab 259 (-3)
    LD 16 (+4)

Con 11 short of a majority. Basically no change.
    Though on those figures it could be Vince Cable rather than Arlene Foster who holds the balance of power

It was the 80s.

I wasn’t allowed to go to football matches, Liverpool were the only team on the telly, plus my Dad I liked them too.

You can change your job, citizenship, name, heck you can even change your wife but you can never change the football team you support.
    Yes you can, I did...
    Foxy said:

Do you mean Cobs?

No. I've several friends from Sheffield who are adamant that 'bread cake' is the agreed local term.
    HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

Times change.
    The failure of the pro Euro Conservative Party shows there was no point Hague taking a different line
    Unspoofable! :)
  • PurplePurple Posts: 150
    Irish news: the Yes (pro-choice) side in the abortion referendum are continuing to complain about how the No side are campaigning. Having been riled by their opponents' behaviour in last Monday's TV debate, they are now complaining at the way that the No side are referring to children with Down's syndrome.

This is in a country where the abortion debate has for many years featured arguments concerning sometimes hypothetical and sometimes real examples involving extreme and especially emotive cases such as raped nuns and victims of under-age and incestuous rape. The debate has not moved on from that stage and it is often argued like that rather than with reference to the much more common experience where a woman who has become pregnant after consensual sex with her boyfriend or husband - and after the failure of contraception rather than its non-use - undergoes the stress and expense of travelling to GB for an abortion, or who has to break the law by using an abortifacient she has ordered online from abroad.

It is not good for the Yes side that they feel they have to complain about how the No side are campaigning - especially when both sides have presented their arguments with reference to especially harrowing cases.

The Yes side, while still ahead in the polls, appear to be on the back foot or even on the run. The remaining TV debates of today and tomorrow look as though they will be interesting. If the narrative between now and Friday continues to be one of "Look what you'll be responsible for if you vote for repeal" from No and "You're not campaigning nicely" from Yes, then No are in with a good chance.
    tlg86 said:

Ketchup or Brown Sauce?

Some people in Edinburgh put brown sauce on their fish and chips. I mean, how weird is that?
    DavidL said:

Some people in Edinburgh put brown sauce on their fish and chips. I mean, how weird is that?

Really?

Most people in Edinburgh put chip sauce on their fish supper, as God intended.
    edited May 2018

HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

Times change.
    Unspoofable! :)
    No, ask John Stevens MEP how he did at the 1999 European elections and the 2001 general election .

He and most of the Pro Euro Conservative Party won 0 seats in both elections and both Stevens and most of his supporters ended up in the LDs by the end of 2001
    tlg86 said:

It was the 80s.

I wasn’t allowed to go to football matches, Liverpool were the only team on the telly, plus my Dad I liked them too.

Yes you can, I did...
    Who was your original team and what was the reason ?

Did you do a Sol Campbell ?
    Pulpstar said:

Another thing I apparently do is rhyme bɑth with arse (bɑːth

They don't rhyme; they arseassonate!
    Scott_P said:

DavidL said:

Really?

Only if chip sauce = vinegar.

Is the chip sauce not brown sauce then? It looks like it.
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,038

Pulpstar said:

The first time I was selected as a candidate, I'd never been to Notts before, and had been living abroad. I had a meal in a cafe and noticed that they offered mushy peas. I thought this was an honest confession - didn't realise anyone actually thought it a good thing.

I love mushy peas.
    DavidL said:

Clearly you have never tried it.

Philistine
    I alternate between gravy, mushy peas and curry sauce with my chips. And just occasionally have mayonnaise.
  • TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

DavidL said:

Really?

Half vinegar, half brown sauce, 100% boak.

Even as an ex student of Edinburgh Uni I find it the devil's food.

Purple said:

Irish news: the Yes (pro-choice) side in the abortion referendum are continuing to complain about how the No side are campaigning. Having been riled by their opponents' behaviour in last Monday's TV debate, they are now complaining at the way that the No side are referring to children with Down's syndrome.

This is in a country where the abortion debate has for many years featured arguments concerning sometimes hypothetical and sometimes real examples involving extreme and especially emotive cases such as raped nuns and victims of under-age and incestuous rape. The debate has not moved on from that stage and it is often argued like that rather than with reference to the much more common experience where a woman who has become pregnant after consensual sex with her boyfriend or husband - and after the failure of contraception rather than its non-use - undergoes the stress and expense of travelling to GB for an abortion, or who has to break the law by using an abortifacient she has ordered online from abroad.

It is not good for the Yes side that they feel they have to complain about how the No side are campaigning - especially when both sides have presented their arguments with reference to especially harrowing cases.

The Yes side, while still ahead in the polls, appear to be on the back foot or even on the run. The remaining TV debates of today and tomorrow look as though they will be interesting. If the narrative between now and Friday continues to be one of "Look what you'll be responsible for if you vote for repeal" from No and "You're not campaigning nicely" from Yes, then No are in with a good chance.

I think Yes will win 2:1.
    Ishmael_Z said:

Joining the EU
    Albania.
    Bosnia and Herzegovina.
    Kosovo*
    Montenegro.
    Serbia.
    Turkey.

Useful guidance on the ordinary meaning of "joining", from the eu website . All this desperate stuff to the contrary is like saying on saturday morning that harry was not marrying meghan because he might be but what if someone piped up with a just impediment?

But anyway the gravamen of the Turkey charge is not that it was false, surely? If we could amend xenophobic liar to xenophobic mischief maker on the standard charge sheet we wouldn't have to keep having this particular argument.

Remember these countries are only joining if we aren't having a referendum - otherwise it's xenophobic lies to suggest we aren't stringing them along.
    Scott_P said:

DavidL said:

Clearly you have never tried it.

Philistine
    Aye, you can take the boy out of Dundee but....

This is vinegar country.
    edited May 2018
    DavidL said:

Purple said:

I think Yes will win but by less than the gay marriage referendum
    Scott_P said:
    I was surprised that John Bercow couldn't bring himself to apologise, if not for his behaviour tout court then at least in a mealymouthed way for causing offence or for his tone of voice. He just didn't apologise at all and effectively said that the word stupid "was used" (who by - Father Christmas?) because he was doing his duty to stand up for the common good of the House and the British people. He's not cutting a very good picture at the moment.
    DavidL said:

This is vinegar country.

Dundee. Glasgow.

Both blighted by the SNP, Yes vote and vinegar...
    Ketchup with either mushy or garden peas for me.
    DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

DavidL said:

Really?

It's a mixture of brown sauce and vinegar.
    Ishmael_Z said:

Joining the EU
    Albania.
    Bosnia and Herzegovina.
    Kosovo*
    Montenegro.
    Serbia.
    Turkey.

Your link actually calls them “candidate countries” and points out that joining is not a straightforward linear process.

https://europa.eu/european-union/about-eu/countries_en

Pulpstar said:

I love mushy peas.
    I despise mushy peas. I love garden peas, but mushy peas just make my stomach turn. As for curry sauce... bleugh.
    HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

Purple said:

Gay marriage had 62% in favour. I will be surprised if it is any closer than that. The Catholic Church is nothing like the power it was.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    Tartar sauce and no kind of peas for me. Vive la France!
    Purple said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

DavidL said:

Really?

It's a mixture of brown sauce and vinegar.
    It’s revolting, that’s what it is. Does anywhere other than Edinburgh inflict this on their fish and chips?
    edited May 2018
    I do love the Turkey/EU discussion.

EU - "Turkey are joining the EU"
    Turkey - "We are joining the EU"
    UK - "We support Turkey joining the EU"

Vote Leave - "Turkey are joining the EU"

Remain - "XENOPHOBIC LIES!"
    DavidL said:

It’s revolting, that’s what it is.

Never have you been more wrong about anything, ever.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    Sean_F said:

An academic writes...

....the public have become more positive about immigration. Far fewer see it as a major political priority and more see it as positive for Britain’s economy and culture. What is more, this shift is seen across the board — it isn’t a case of liberal “Remainers” rallying behind migrants, while migrant sceptic “Leavers” dig in their heels. The positive shift in attitudes seems to be occurring across the political and social spectrum.

....why isn’t this shift more widely known and discussed on the pro-migration, “Remain” side of politics. Here I must resort to anecdote and unrepresentative data a little, but it is my firm impression that politically active “Remainers” and migration liberals tend to believe things have become worse since Brexit......It does seem that the conventional wisdom among this unusually well informed and engaged group is that migration attitudes have hardened since Brexit. Yet the evidence robustly points in the opposite direction

https://medium.com/@robfordmancs/how-have-attitudes-to-immigration-changed-since-brexit-e37881f55530

Or they *wish* to believe that attitudes have hardened,.
    Anyone spring to mind?
    DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

Purple said:

Gay marriage had 62% in favour. I will be surprised if it is any closer than that. The Catholic Church is nothing like the power it was.
    Apparently not in NI either if that unification poll is anything to go by.
  • Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019

Pulpstar said:

I love mushy peas.
    I despise mushy peas. I love garden peas, but mushy peas just make my stomach turn. As for curry sauce... bleugh.
    Mushy peas with mint sauce and hot pork pie is divine :)
    MaxPB said:

It will surely be followed by Ishmael telling us why Gove didn’t say we’d had enough of experts.

Ishmael_Z said:

Joining the EU
    Albania.
    Bosnia and Herzegovina.
    Kosovo*
    Montenegro.
    Serbia.
    Turkey.

Your link actually calls them “candidate countries” and points out that joining is not a straightforward linear process.

https://europa.eu/european-union/about-eu/countries_en
    Yes of course it does. Which doesn't alter its validity as evidence that a fair one word summary for the situation of all those countries - all of them including Turkey a thousand miles behind where Turkey was in June 2016 - is "joining".
    MaxPB said:

Ah - you were just stupid enough to believe what Cameron said - all the clever remainers knew he was lying. That's why you are Xenophobic and they aren't..
    MaxPB said:

Well, remainers and Eurocrats need to differentiate their lies from the other side and this is their mode of choice. It’s a therapy thing and unkind to be too harsh about it.

BTW how are you and I able to give a better forecast of the deficit than the Treasury? I think we both said it would be about £40bn. It’s almost like some there have an agenda.

tlg86 said:

It was the 80s.

Yes you can, I did...
    Who was your original team and what was the reason ?

Did you do a Sol Campbell ?
    Sheffield Wednesday. They are my dad's team. Funnily enough, my first game at Highbury was the night Wednesday were relegated from the PL.

If I moved up north I'd go back to supporting them.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    DavidL said:

tlg86 said:

Ketchup or Brown Sauce?

I thought the Belgian habit of dunking their chips in mayonnaise pretty gross.....until I tried it......very much in the philosophy of 'might as well be hanged for a sheep as a lamb'....
    My cousin has just announced she's having her wedding in Cornwall so everyone is heading down there in mid August. We've got a free day on Sunday (wedding on Saturday) and we're fairly certain my uncle isn't going to host anything on that day.

We're going to be in Liskegard, any recommendations for for dinner/tea/supper (have I missed any?) on the way back to London?

(worst. analogy. ever.)

There was no date set, they were in the negotiations stage of the joining procedure.
    So we are getting somewhere. You see it as a 'joining procedure' meaning, in your mind, that they were joining. That is patently wrong.

If you pass an interview, get an offer, and accept that offer, then you are 'joining' the company. You are not 'joining' it at the interview stage, and Turkey were not even at that point.

It was actually a negotiations process, with an uncertain end result. Saying they were 'joining' implies a certainty. You could say that they wish to join, or that the EU wished them to join (although both of those may or may not be correct); you cannot say they were 'joining'.

Turkey would only be 'joining' once the negotiations are complete and the votes carried out. That never happened, and was very unlikely to.
    AndyJS said:
    That seems pretty harsh on Corbyn. He has been pretty clear to anyone willing to listen.
    DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

Well, remainers and Eurocrats need to differentiate their lies from the other side and this is their mode of choice. It’s a therapy thing and unkind to be too harsh about it.

BTW how are you and I able to give a better forecast of the deficit than the Treasury? I think we both said it would be about £40bn. It’s almost like some there have an agenda.
    Yes, it is turning into their security blanket.

I was very surprised when the OBR projected that PSNBex would be £45bn in March. They have access to much more data than us plebs and they were still out by £5bn within a month of the data being released.

The issue, IMO, is the poor quality of statistics from the ONS and whoever they have working on the national accounts/GDP. It's pretty clear that Q1 growth was somewhere around 0.3%. I'd be wary of saying it's a politically motivated agenda, however, given that debt keeps getting revised down and GDP up it's becoming difficult to see how it could be anything else.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,961
    edited May 2018
    DavidL said:

AndyJS said:
    That seems pretty harsh on Corbyn. He has been pretty clear to anyone willing to listen.
    Would love to know what those 15% think Labour policy on Brexit is.....
    MaxPB said:

It's the LIES bit that puzzles me. A wholehearted remainer would surely welcome the accession of millions of very poor Muslims to The Project as making it even more glorious than it is now. Unless they have something against Muslims...
This discussion has been closed.