Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A sign of LAB confidence in Lewisham East: Local party chief g

Comments

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,532

AndyJS said:

The Poles have concluded that their Presidents plane was brought down in Russia by explosions, not pilot error, as the Russians & Polish Prime Minister Tusk's investigations had:

http://niezalezna.pl/data/TECHNICAL_REPORT.pdf

I was always very sceptical about the original explanation for the crash.
    Plane crashes are fortunately very rare. Crashes of planes carrying heads of state are very rare - and so they should, given they *should* have the best planes and pilots.

In fact, the only other occurrence that springs to mind is the shootdown of the plane carrying the Rwandan and Burundi presidents in 1994, which set off the Rwandan genocide.

Have any other heads of state been killed in plane crashes in modern times?
    Samora Machel of Mozambique died with most of his government in a plane crash in 1986. There were rumours that South Africa was behind it, but no evidence.

As a footnote, his widow Grace went on to be Nelson Mandela's second wife.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,966
    edited May 2018

AndyJS said:

The Poles have concluded that their Presidents plane was brought down in Russia by explosions, not pilot error, as the Russians & Polish Prime Minister Tusk's investigations had:

Plane crashes are fortunately very rare. Crashes of planes carrying heads of state are very rare - and so they should, given they *should* have the best planes and pilots.

In fact, the only other occurrence that springs to mind is the shootdown of the plane carrying the Rwandan and Burundi presidents in 1994, which set off the Rwandan genocide.

Sikorski wasn't head of state and 1943 isn't modern times, but the Poles have a history of having to deal with the death of leaders in dubious air accidents.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

AndyJS said:

https://tinyurl.com/yc7d3njm
    I'd forgotten about Zia. That was straight up sabotage wasn't it?
  • Options

Seems Liam has been humiliated. Australia and New Zealand are now sidling up to make trade deals with the EU before of us.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/may/22/eu-trade-talks-australia-new-zealand-brexit-commonwealth

Of course, there was much resentment when we abandoned them for the Common Market in the 1970s, so perhaps this is a dish best served cold.

The EU negotiators are quite good at this trade malarkey. Conceivably our terms of trade with the Commonwealth will worsen when we exit the transition period.

Perhaps ought to take advantage of the EU by staying in the CU :)
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

RobD said:

The Russians would really assassinate a sitting President? Has there been a third party investigation into the crash?

Edit: misread your comment. You said it was brought down in Russia, not by Russia. My bad!
    The report doesn't conclude 'who did it' - but since it rubbishes the previous Russian & Polish reports....
    Tusk doesn’t seem to have come out of this very well either.
    Isn't this just Poland's version of the 9/11 truther movement, but endorsed by the PiS establishment?
    Hard to judge. Could be. But as a non expert it raises a lot of very specific questions and seems to have some good photographic evidence.

Putin and his thugs really could be this stupid.
    Is stupid the right word?

I think the better word is arrogant. Putin and his thugs really could be arrogant enough to believe they could pull this off and get away with it.

Lets not forget that thanks in part to the useful idiots in the West they've managed to get away with repeatedly murdering people in the UK, annexing Crimea, probably being at least indirectly behind the shooting down of a Dutch airliner.and more.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,919
    tlg86 said:

AndyJS said:

Thanks to you and all the other respondents.

It's apparently more common that I thought.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    edited May 2018
    BBC report on borrowing is in same article as Carney comments - see link - bottom half of article (which is actually lead story in Business section).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44207677
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    MikeL said:

BBC report on borrowing is in same article as Carney comments - see link - bottom half of article (which is actually lead story in Business section).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44207677

Why am I not surprised that good news for the government is buried in another article? :p
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581
    DavidL said:

You Anglos

You Anglos?

I guess English isn't your first lingo? :lol:
    Get with the patois, man.

'Noun
    anglo (plural anglos)
    An English person or person of English ancestry.'
    I had a slightly mad woman from Glasgow giving evidence last week in the Court of Session. I asked, “why did she do that?” She replied, “because she was skint”. She peered at me with that ridiculous horse hair on my head, “Do you know what “skint” means?” The judge admitted that was a fair question.
    Did you respond along the lines of "Have you seen how much I pay out in Private School fees?"?
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Useless fact:

One of the independent candidates in Lewisham East, Charles Carey, previously contested the seat in February 1974, getting 269 votes. He hasn't stood in the constituency since then until now.

I do hope he gets 269 votes again. That would be poetic.
    269 in seventy-four
    Will he get fewer, or will he get more?

Now that is poetic!
  • Options
    Off-topic:

SpaceX will hopefully be launching another F9 shortly. Watch at
    http://www.spacex.com/webcast
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223

AndyJS said:

Useless fact:

One of the independent candidates in Lewisham East, Charles Carey, previously contested the seat in February 1974, getting 269 votes. He hasn't stood in the constituency since then until now.

I do hope he gets 269 votes again. That would be poetic.
    269 in seventy-four
    Will he get fewer, or will he get more?

Now that is poetic!
    I think the Laureateship is yours.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    DavidL said:

You Anglos

You Anglos?

'Noun
    anglo (plural anglos)
    I had a slightly mad woman from Glasgow giving evidence last week in the Court of Session. I asked, “why did she do that?” She replied, “because she was skint”. She peered at me with that ridiculous horse hair on my head, “Do you know what “skint” means?” The judge admitted that was a fair question.
    It wasn’t till this year that I realised that skint = skinned. I’m very slow to catch on sometimes.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109
    The odds on the Tories look very strange to me.

Are there about five zeros missing?
  • Options
    PurplePurple Posts: 150
    edited May 2018
    In the week of the referendum in Ireland, Jacob Rees-Mogg has contributed to the abortion debate, with Jo Swinson on the other side.

I thought it was interesting that he chose to participate having stayed out of the Alfie Evans case which happened in his own country.

Meanwhile Jo Swinson manages to argue for Yes with reference to the extreme case of rape victims...while calling JRM "extreme". That's not skilful rhetoric. That kind of argument from Yes is redolent of the past in Ireland and it shows no recognition of more normal cases where pregnant women who have not been raped wish to have abortions and the existing law adds to their stress.

This seems to be another instance where the political class and celebrities are out of touch with most people's experience, which also comes across from Leo Varadkar's insistence that if the result is Yes then it'll be abortion on demand up to 12 weeks and if it's No then there won't be any change for at least a generation. Seriously, he is in no position to promise that. And what's he doing trying to railroad the electorate anyway? I'm also wondering how the fact he is gay might affect how people take what he says about abortion.

The two remaining big TV debates, today and tomorrow, are more likely to help No than Yes, unless the No side totally mess it up. No may make sufficient ground to win this vote.

Enough people to swing the vote may think that to change the law (even quite soon) so that rape victims can get abortions without making them available on demand, and regardless of what LV tells them, the way to vote on Friday is No.
  • Options
    Purple said:

In the week of the referendum in Ireland, Jacob Rees-Mogg has contributed to the abortion debate, with Jo Swinson on the other side.

I thought it was interesting that he chose to participate having stayed out of the Alfie Evans case which happened in his own country.

Meanwhile Jo Swinson manages to argue for Yes with reference to the extreme case of rape victims...while calling JRM "extreme". That's not skilful rhetoric. That kind of argument from Yes is redolent of the past in Ireland and it shows no recognition of more normal cases where pregnant women who have not been raped wish to have abortions and the existing law adds to their stress.

This seems to be another instance where the political class and celebrities are out of touch with most people's experience, which also comes across from Leo Varadkar's insistence that if the result is Yes then it'll be abortion on demand up to 12 weeks and if it's No then there won't be any change for at least a generation. Seriously, he is in no position to promise that. And what's he doing trying to railroad the electorate anyway? I'm wondering how the fact he is gay might affect how people take what he says about abortion.

The two remaining big TV debates, today and tomorrow, are more likely to help No than Yes, unless they totally mess it up. No may make sufficient ground to win this vote.

Enough people to swing the vote may think that to change the law (even quite soon) so that rape victims can get abortions without them being available on demand, and regardless of what LV tells them, the way to vote is No.

So the LibDems are aiming for the Remain / Infanticide intersection of the Venn Diagram.

I suppose it offers more promise than dog muck, potholes and dodgy bar charts.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    ydoethur said:

You mean 100/100000? I'll give you those odds.
  • Options
    edited May 2018

ydoethur said:

Odds of ten million to one? It doesn't seem too much of a stretch. Are the Tories even going to bother campaigning even though they came second last year? So far they seem to be thoroughly disinterested.

Just to be clear though, I can't pay you if you win. I am only a teacher!
  • Options

Off-topic:

Going up nearly as quickly as the price of his Tesla model 3!

Tesla’s $35,000 Model 3 Could Now Cost You $78,000 https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-05-20/at-78-000-tesla-moves-mass-market-model-3-beyond-the-masses
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,321

Off-topic:

My cousin's son works there - co-designer of an control panel in the last one. I expect it's a modest contribution but we're very proud of him. He commutes to work by plane ("avoids the traffic"), which sounds cool to me but seems quite common in that business - his dad was a test pilot so perhaps there's a gene for it.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Odds of ten million to one? It doesn't seem too much of a stretch. Are the Tories even going to bother campaigning even though they came second last year? So far they seem to be thoroughly disinterested.

But not a maths teacher...

100/100000 = 1/1000
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

100/100000 = 1/1000
    My initial post was suggesting the odds were ten million to one.

One thousand to one still seems generous.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,321
    Purple said:

The two remaining big TV debates, today and tomorrow, are more likely to help No than Yes, unless the No side totally mess it up. No may make sufficient ground to win this vote.

Enough people to swing the vote may think that to change the law (even quite soon) so that rape victims can get abortions without making them available on demand, and regardless of what LV tells them, the way to vote on Friday is No.

I woiuldn't have thought so - polling since December has shown Yes leads by between 11% and 29%. I know we're all wary of polls but that looks pretty damn solid.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,213
    Where Great Britain leads, Ireland lags behind:

Legalisation of same-sex relations:
    E & W. 1967, Scot. 1980, NI 1982, Ireland 1993

Legalisation of divorce:
    UK 1937, Ireland 1997

Legalisation of abortion:
    E & W, Sct. 1967, NI illegal, Ireland illegal
  • Options
    Let's put it this way:

When TSE orders a Hawaiian pizza with extra pineapple;

And devours it while watching highlights of Nigel Farage, Boris Johnson and Mark Reckless' best speeches on Brexit;

While simultaneously exclaiming how much better this is than watching The Last Jedi;

The Tories will still have only a small chance of taking Lewisham East.

Therefore 100/1, 1000/1 or even 1,000,000/1 looks generous.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,848

Off-topic:

One of the boring ones, where it only goes up and doesn’t come back.

We’ll have to tell our kids that until 2016 rockets never came back to land.
  • Options

Legalisation of divorce:
    UK 1937, Ireland 1997

Although technically of course they had their first ethnic minority PM at the same time as we did.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Legalisation of divorce:
    UK 1937, Ireland 1997

Although technically of course they had their first ethnic minority PM at the same time as we did.
    We've had two lady PMs though :)
  • Options

Purple said:

This seems to be another instance where the political class and celebrities are out of touch with most people's experience, which also comes across from Leo Varadkar's insistence that if the result is Yes then it'll be abortion on demand up to 12 weeks and if it's No then there won't be any change for at least a generation. Seriously, he is in no position to promise that. And what's he doing trying to railroad the electorate anyway? I'm wondering how the fact he is gay might affect how people take what he says about abortion.

The two remaining big TV debates, today and tomorrow, are more likely to help No than Yes, unless they totally mess it up. No may make sufficient ground to win this vote.

Enough people to swing the vote may think that to change the law (even quite soon) so that rape victims can get abortions without them being available on demand, and regardless of what LV tells them, the way to vote is No.

So the LibDems are aiming for the Remain / Infanticide intersection of the Venn Diagram.

I suppose it offers more promise than dog muck, potholes and dodgy bar charts.
    I'd call Jo Swinson infantilising.

She says she is pregnant herself and that when she was pregnant before it was such a powerful experience and she would not want to "force" another woman to go through it.

With such arguments, Yes will lose. You wonder how often she meets any real people. What proportion of pregnant women want abortions only because they know that pregnancy itself is stressful? She is so out of touch.

• Options
    ydoethur said:

While simultaneously exclaiming how much better this is than watching The Last Jedi;

Solo is released on Thursday!
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Legalisation of divorce:
    UK 1937, Ireland 1997

We've had two lady PMs though :)
    Does Charles Haughey count on the basis he was an absolute (Alan Duncan's word for Boris Johnson)?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

So we can look forward to you and TSE forming a duet of praise for it?
  • Options
    An enquiry into a fuck up and its fucked up aftermath is a...you guessed it.

https://twitter.com/leomiklasz/status/998983923165167616

• Options
    In case anyone hasn't seen it: this poster saying "Men protect lives" could be quite effective among voters both male and female aged say 28-45. The Irish army has responded to make clear it's politically neutral.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    Foxy said:

Off-topic:

Tesla’s $35,000 Model 3 Could Now Cost You $78,000 https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-05-20/at-78-000-tesla-moves-mass-market-model-3-beyond-the-masses
    Tesla has production up to 500 cars a day now apparently. Getting higher priced vehicles and a critical 5k cars/week production should apparently mean the company heads to positive cash flow... and I think once they are there there could be a big short squeeze on the stock.

I'm hopeful they'll make it as Elon is not so rich that he can really have Tesla afford to fail, and I REALLY want to see his Mars rocket launch...
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,645

ydoethur said:

The trailers have looked pretty awful - it may be the first bad new Star Wars movie.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

So we can look forward to you and TSE forming a duet of praise for it?
    I don't intend to see it quite yet - maybe in a couple of weeks. Having said that, I saw The Last Jedi four times, and bought the blue-ray.
  • Options

Legalisation of divorce:
    UK 1937, Ireland 1997

Divorce was only made legal there in 1997?
  • Options
    Purple said:

In case anyone hasn't seen it: this poster saying "Men protect lives" could be quite effective among voters both male and female aged say 28-45. The Irish army has responded to make clear it's politically neutral.

As I said, Britain leads, while Ireland lags behind. Irishwomen will still cross the Irish Sea for abortions.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Foxy said:

Off-topic:

Tesla has production up to 500 cars a day now apparently. Getting higher priced vehicles and a critical 5k cars/week production should apparently mean the company heads to positive cash flow... and I think once they are there there could be a big short squeeze on the stock.

I'm hopeful they'll make it as Elon is not so rich that he can really have Tesla afford to fail, and I REALLY want to see his Mars rocket launch...
    The latest insanity today is that the reported braking problem with the Model 3 is actually real, and they have a fix which will be uploaded to cars OTA in the net few days.

There is so much wrong with this that it's hard to know where to start. It's hard to believe they've got fully to the bottom of the issue in such a short time, yet alone developed a firm fix. Then there are issues with what other effects any fix will have (as every fool or users of Windows knows, fixes can have undesirable consequences), and the problems that can occur with over-the-air updates.

Crazy. A poster on here (Sadly Ii cannot remember ?her? name) wrote eloquently about the madness of the way Tesla were testing their cars in the real world. It seems that applies to more than the Autopilot software ...
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,572
    kle4 said:

Legalisation of divorce:
    UK 1937, Ireland 1997

Didn't the Matrimonial Causes Act of 1857 legalise divorce in the E&W?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

100/100000 = 1/1000
    My initial post was suggesting the odds were ten million to one.

One thousand to one still seems generous.
    One thousand to one on, i.e. a hundred thousand times less generous than Ladbrokes

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    kle4 said:

The trailers have looked pretty awful - it may be the first bad new Star Wars movie.

You need to be more specific.

Phantom Menace was the first bad new Star Wars movie, followed by the second and third really bad new Star Wars movies...
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    The third one is a bit weird, since there's rebels on both sides, and there are more rebels on the ERG side than the Remainer wing, in all probability.

But if he is that despondent about things, it will be interesting to see him do something about it.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027
    Scott_P said:
    The same Kawczynski who was bounced from the Foreign Affairs Select Committee because he was a security risk?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Legalisation of divorce:
    UK 1937, Ireland 1997

Yeah, the referendum was the same year as the IRA ceasefire and Blair's landslide!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

kle4 said:

Phantom Menace was the first bad new Star Wars movie, followed by the second and third really bad new Star Wars movies...
    The New New Star Wars movies. As no one calls them.
  • Options
    surbysurby Posts: 1,227

tlg86 said:

AndyJS said:

I'd forgotten about Zia. That was straight up sabotage wasn't it?
    The only Gen Zia joke I know goes like this:

He went to the USA and Reagan told the CIA to show his ally all the secrets. The CIA reluctantly showed off their latest technology - direct communication between the Earth and Heaven. Zia asked to connect to his Dad and they chatted for only 1 minute. Being an honest man, he wanted to pay for the call. After much dithering thh CIA told him the call cost $5000. Despite being taken aback, Zia paid the amount.

On his return, he asked the Pakistani scientists to come up with the same technology. He was warned it would be very expensive. No matter, he said, "It's a strategic project".

6 months later, the scientists said whilst they could not connect to Heaven yet, they had connected to Hell. Zia wanted to phone ex PM Bhutto who he had hanged. They spoke for a minute.

Again, Zia insisted to pay for the call. After much dithering, the scientists said, $1.

Why so cheap ? He wanted to know. The scientists replied: "Sir, it was a local call"
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

kle4 said:

Is Phantom Menace "new"?
  • Options

Is Phantom Menace "new"?

It was "the first new Star Wars movie" and it was REALLY bad...
  • Options
    surby said:

Who are the rebels ?

The spark that will light the flame, that will burn the First Order to the ground...
  • Options
    Purple said:

I don't know, to me it repulses me to think that it is encouraging men to make a woman's choice. It is pure sexism. This is a woman's issue first and foremost and they're leading with "MEN" in big letters?

But then I'm not a swing voter on this.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/GeorgeWParker/status/999030800837423105

The petulant wailing of Brexiteers is nearing a crescendo, perhaps...
  • Options
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487

Purple said:

I don't know, to me it repulses me to think that it is encouraging men to make a woman's choice. It is pure sexism. This is a woman's issue first and foremost and they're leading with "MEN" in big letters?

But then I'm not a swing voter on this.

I don’t even understand the poster. Can someone explain it to me?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Is Phantom Menace "new"?

Depends when you define new as. Star Wars was originally the first new Star Wars movie and it was really good.

If someone says new Star Wars movie to me now I'd think VII onwards (the Disney-era Star Wars). They're the new ones, then there's the original trilogy and the less-said-the-better prequel trilogy.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

The petulant wailing of Brexiteers is nearing a crescendo, perhaps...

I fear this will be like the “joining” debate again. A crescendo is the process, not the destination. ;)
  • Options
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matrimonial_Causes_Act_1937

Previously, men could divorce women on the basis of adultery, but women were required to prove that their male partners had undertaken adultery and additional offences, such as incest, sodomy, cruelty (roughly equivalent to domestic violence) and other possible reasons.

In 1912, a Royal Commission had recommended further liberalisation, and the feminist-allied National Union of Societies for Equal Citizenship promoted a more equitable treatment of divorce law which made it easier for women to seek divorce when it considered the matter in 1923. However, nothing was done at that time to broaden grounds for divorce from adultery alone, to include permanent desertion of one's partner and family, and incurable and severe mental illness.

A.P. Herbert

A.P. Herbert (1890–1971) had previously been a lawyer and non-fiction author who specialised in legal matters, before he focused his attention on the question of divorce law reform. His best-selling novel Holy Deadlock (1934) may have galvanised public opinion on the issue. When a vacancy occurred in the House of Commons upon the resignation of the Conservative Sir Charles Oman, Herbert was elected as an Independent MP for the Oxford University constituency in November 1935.

After two fruitless years in which Herbert's private member's bill languished in the ballot box, he sought the assistance of the Conservative Party MP for Evesham, Rupert de la Bère. His draft legislation had been scrupulously prepared and it met with considerable public support and few obstacles. On its second reading, the Matrimonial Causes Bill passed 78-12. Prime Minister Stanley Baldwin provided a day for the bill's third reading, which led to its successful passage (190-37).

The House of Lords proved compliant, and even liberalised the bill, shortening the time for desertion to two years, apart from instances of "hardship" and "depravity". However, it remained otherwise unchanged, with instant divorce for demonstrable adultery of either partner, as well for desertion after two years, or five years if the context was severe mental illness.

• Options
    edited May 2018
    Scott_P said:

Is Phantom Menace "new"?

Meh - it is not a good movie by any means, but people overreact to it more than a Leave or Remain ultra to anything that mentions Brexit. Same with the other two - they're all watchable (which many other even worse movies are not), and have good parts in them, even if they are still very bad in places and overall, but people practically make it a religion to act as though they are unsitthroughable. When I feel like watching the whole saga, sure I feel like fastforwarding through a lo of bits of the prequels, but they're not hard to endure or anything.

Night all.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

Have you not watched Attack of the Clones or The Last Jedi?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Not really a fresh row so much as the continuous row flaring up again.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

kle4 said:

Is Phantom Menace "new"?
    1999 was nearly 20 years ago!
  • Options
    JRM has a bad case of Farronitis. The Tories would be mad every to choose him as leader.
  • Options

JRM has a bad case of Farronitis. The Tories would be mad every to choose him as leader.
    To be fair I think JRM would have no hesitation in saying that it’s a sin.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

By New I meant the Disney ones - the prequel trilogy are all bad. The Last Jedi is my second favourite Star Wars movie after Return of the Jedi. Each to their own, but at least some of the common complaints on the Last Jedi don't logically hold up (people forget how jokey a lot of Force Awakens was for instance), the acting continues to be leagues above the older films, and I like the directions the plot took, which was well set up (it baffles me when people say the Heel turn wasn't set up). Take out a few sub plots being overly long, and it'd be even better.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

The Last Jedi was far superior to Attack of the Clones!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

By New I meant the Disney ones - the prequel trilogy are all bad. The Last Jedi is my second favourite Star Wars movie after Return of the Jedi. Each to their own, but at least some of the common complaints on the Last Jedi don't logically hold up (people forget how jokey a lot of Force Awakens was for instance), the acting continues to be leagues above the older films, and I like the directions the plot took, which was well set up (it baffles me when people say the Heel turn wasn't set up). Take out a few sub plots being overly long, and it'd be even better.
    Prequel trilogy, all bad? :o
  • Options
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

Prequel trilogy, all bad? :o
    Midichlorians say it all :lol:
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

About the same level. Both awful in their own way.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,291
    Scott_P said:
    There's certainly (yet another) concerted effort to fire warning shots across Theresa's bows. But is this just the usual flatulence?
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,049
    kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

I think any adult who can pay sufficient interest to watch a Star Wars Movie, any comic book hero, James Bond, Pirates, Star Wars, Raiders or any other of this brain numbing stuff...isn't life too short?

It's mostly men and then asbergery tendencies I guess......there again, I'll shut up... my obsession with footie is probably of a similar ilk, and linked to a similar part of the brain.... and political obsessives and betting..add sports and Star Wars and bam..you have that slam dunk for asbergers...
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

About the same level. Both awful in their own way.
    "Amazing. Every word of what you just said was wrong!"
  • Options
    tyson said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

I think any adult who can pay sufficient interest to watch a Star Wars Movie, any comic book hero, James Bond, Pirates, Star Wars, Raiders or any other of this brain numbing stuff...isn't life too short?

A View to a Kill on ITV4 right now :)
  • Options

To be fair I think JRM would have no hesitation in saying that it’s a sin.
    I agree but my intended definition of Farronitis was something like "holding reactionary views but excusing oneself on religious grounds"
  • Options

tyson said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

How anyone can quite be bothered to follow a plot line from a Bond Movie...they are just so random..he's shagging some bint, he's getting chased, he's in a car, then something else, then he goes to some random country shagging and shooting and whatever...and then at the end he kills a shed load of small people of ethnicity wearing romper suits....

Star Wars...one must have to take a fuckload of acid to follow that shit, or be aged under 5....

Now Jaws...I can follow that one, just...but you kind of know whats going to happen at the start don't you?
  • Options
    tyson said:

tyson said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

How anyone can quite be bothered to follow a plot line from a Bond Movie...they are just so random..he's shagging some bint, he's getting chased, he's in a car, then something else, then he goes to some random country shagging and shooting and whatever...and then at the end he kills a shed load of small people of ethnicity wearing romper suits....

Star Wars...one must have to take a fuckload of acid to follow that shit, or be aged under 5....

Now Jaws...I can follow that one, just...but you kind of know whats going to happen at the start don't you?
    Don't you watch any films at all???
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,131
    ydoethur said:

Let's put it this way:

When TSE orders a Hawaiian pizza with extra pineapple;

And devours it while watching highlights of Nigel Farage, Boris Johnson and Mark Reckless' best speeches on Brexit;

The Tories will still have only a small chance of taking Lewisham East.

Therefore 100/1, 1000/1 or even 1,000,000/1 looks generous.

So, not likely then?
  • Options

tyson said:

tyson said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

One of my party tricks is to reel off from memory all the postwar Oscar winners...and I can down a pint in 2 seconds (another party trick)...

I love movies...and Sci Fi movies too.....Silent Running, Soylent Green, Fahrenheit 351, Logan's Run, the Arrival, Inception, Space Odyssey, Contact, Close Encounters....

I just despise low brow, anodyne, mind numbing shyte that is targeted at kiddlies....
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Surely uninterested not disinterested. That’s as bad as having principals instead of principles.
  • Options
    tyson said:

tyson said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

I am with you on this one, finding Bond, Star Wars, Star Trek, and Superhero films all barely watcheable. The problem is the poor writing and characterisation bein camoflaged by pyrotechnics and shootings. There are some great Sci Fi, spy and action films, but not in these formulaic bores.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

kle4 said:

Is Phantom Menace "new"?
    1999 was nearly 20 years ago!
    Indeed its release date was closer to that of Return of the Jedi than The Last Jedi.
  • Options
    tyson said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

One of my party tricks is to reel off from memory all the postwar Oscar winners...and I can down a pint in 2 seconds (another party trick)...

I love movies...and Sci Fi movies too.....Silent Running, Soylent Green, Fahrenheit 351, Logan's Run, the Arrival, Inception, Space Odyssey, Contact, Close Encounters....

I just despise low brow, anodyne, mind numbing shyte that is targeted at kiddlies....
    Fahrenheit 451!

Inception is one of my favourite films of all time - in your list I also rate Silent Running, Logan's Run, 2001 a Space Odyssey, Contact and Close Encounters.
  • Options

DavidL said:

You Anglos

You Anglos?

'Noun
    anglo (plural anglos)
    Did you respond along the lines of "Have you seen how much I pay out in Private School fees?"?
    Damn. A missed opportunity.
  • Options
    @sunil

Thanks for the correction on Fahrenheit....

Contact is apparently the favourite sic fi film for scientists, though Arrival is on par, or betters it...

Sci Fi has the capacity to stretch into really esoteric stuff...Solaris, A Man and his Dog, Odyssey, Melancholia....

I'm just being naughty, and a bit of a contrarian.....I love silly horror flick, the old Hammer films.....Horror Express for instance ...but genuinely I have struggled to watch a film targeted predominantly at kids for many, many years...and that probably is my main objection to the sci fi blockbuster genre....

Granted though, I still think any filmmaker of any genre is by nature of what they do a cut above.....
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited May 2018
    Scott_P said:

twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/999043902735880192

What a shit show the Labour Party has become. Today alone we have plagiarizing MP, Jezza outrider found to be very fond of calling people nonces and of course Red Ken still not going quietly.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Scott_P said:
    That’s unfortunate. It seems to me that he is approaching the post with all the seriousness it deserves.

• Options
    Scott_P said:
    Obvious troll gets banned. Shocker.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799
    tyson said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

TV Series are generally better at characterisation.
  • Options
    ExiledInScotlandExiledInScotland Posts: 1,503
    Sean_F said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

Anyone else watching the Westworld reboot? I am hooked
  • Options
    Foxy said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

I am with you on this one, finding Bond, Star Wars, Star Trek, and Superhero films all barely watcheable. The problem is the poor writing and characterisation bein camoflaged by pyrotechnics and shootings. There are some great Sci Fi, spy and action films, but not in these formulaic bores.
    For the record, The Empire Strikes Back (1980) is my favourite Star Wars film. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982), my favourite Star Trek.
  • Options
    surbysurby Posts: 1,227
    Once the World Cup starts, when will the odds show that England are going to win the Cup ?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274

Sean_F said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

Anyone else watching the Westworld reboot? I am hooked
    Season 1, great, Season 2, big sigh...
This discussion has been closed.