Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Pro-Brexit anti-Lords poll splashed by the Mail comes under fi

13»

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,378

Clicked on an old link, from June 2017. God, Nick Timothy really did screw the country.

I’m finishing Fall Out.
    *Nobody* comes out of it well, but Nick Timothy and Fiona Hill worst of all.
    Nick Timothy was the reason I took an instant dislike to Theresa May the day she became PM.

He's worse than Mark Reckless.
  • Options

Who's to blame?

Cameron for resigning without sorting this out.

Or Gove for stabbing Boris in the back and letter May have an easy ride.

Dave's authority was shot, if he hadn't resigned then he would have been ousted, heck even if he had won the referendum some of the Leavers were planning on triggering a VONC on June 24th 2016.

He did as much as possible given the way Leave campaigned. You've had two years to catch those unicorns.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,658

Surprisingly strong retail sales in April.

Given how many retail chains are struggling and how many boarded up shops there are there must be some businesses doing very well to balance these out.

Amazon?
    Its a possibility.

Personally I rarely find them as cheap as Tesco, Argos or Ebay but I guess many people look only at Amazon for convenience.
    I do use Amazon occasionally but I find their site a PITA most of the time - the results you get from a search can be rather baffling - clearly driven much more by their advertisers/vendors that by the customer.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Who's to blame?

Anyone who voted for this shitshow
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    Scott_P said:

Who's to blame?

Anyone who voted for this shitshow

I didn't vote for TMay, NTimothy, or FHill.

Did you?

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,830
  • Options

Who's to blame?

Dave's authority was shot, if he hadn't resigned then he would have been ousted, heck even if he had won the referendum some of the Leavers were planning on triggering a VONC on June 24th 2016.

He did as much as possible given the way Leave campaigned. You've had two years to catch those unicorns.

So Cameron's fault then.

• Options

I didn't vote for TMay, NTimothy, or FHill.

Did you?

Nope
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,055

Clicked on an old link, from June 2017. God, Nick Timothy really did screw the country.

I’m finishing Fall Out.
    *Nobody* comes out of it well, but Nick Timothy and Fiona Hill worst of all.
    Nick Timothy was the reason I took an instant dislike to Theresa May the day she became PM.
    She can't have been that much in thrall to him or she would have backed Leave in the referendum.
  • Options

Who's to blame?

So Cameron's fault then.

Only if you're a moron.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    I have reached the point in “Fall Out” where Theresa May has to literally beg Juncker to save her from defenestration, while Selmayr snickers in the corner.

Juncker relays this to the 27 heads of government who then debate whether it is worth trying to keep Theresa in post.

“Take back control”.
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    welshowl said:

OT A quick public service announcement.

Don't forget to take your towel with you when you leave home tomorrow.

But if you do forget. Don't Panic!

I know it’s GDPR day!
    Who thought of this stupid idea - I am tired of getting endless opt in emails and completing online forms. I just had to fill out one to remain subscribed to the AELTC so I could still get news about the Wimbledon tennis.
  • Options
    brendan16 said:

welshowl said:

OT A quick public service announcement.

Don't forget to take your towel with you when you leave home tomorrow.

But if you do forget. Don't Panic!

I know it’s GDPR day!
    Who thought of this stupid idea - I am tired of getting endless opt in emails and completing online forms. I just had to fill out one to remain subscribed to the AELTC so I could still get news about the Wimbledon tennis.

Who thought of this stupid idea

The EU.

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,594
    https://twitter.com/election_data/status/999745337060478976?s=19

A seat of interest to TP as I recall.

Lab vote not as Leave as one may imagine.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962
    Foxy said:

twitter.com/election_data/status/999745337060478976?s=19

LD vote not as remain as one may imagine... :p
  • Options
    brendan16 said:

https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/999684564321734656
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,186
    Charles said:

ydoethur said:

Given how many retail chains are struggling and how many boarded up shops there are there must be some businesses doing very well to balance these out.

Amazon?
    If they're doing well now the aim will be to sell us down the river later.

I would get out more but making bad puns is much more fun.
    Enjoy yourself while you’re youngish

Thames waits for no man, no matter how Volga. But I guess you’re in deNile. Don’t work it’ll all come out in the Wash
    Only four puns? You should have aimed for Severn.

(BTW, did you mean 'worry' rather than 'work'?)

None of my criticism is intended to be Trentchant, and I may even have Mersey if you admit defeat.

Unfortunately my Tyne is up and I am off to bed.

Good night all.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Foxy said:

twitter.com/election_data/status/999745337060478976?s=19

LD vote not as remain as one may imagine... :p
    Hastings interesting too:

https://twitter.com/election_data/status/999743762929717248?s=19
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

brendan16 said:

https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/999684564321734656
    I have to say that I am concerned that Granny Foxy is leaving it a bit late getting back to me. I may have to delete her from my contacts list...
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989
    Interesting piece from fivethirtyeight.

Cancellation of talks with Kim might harm Trump's popularity and therefore affect the midterm results. This is of interest to punters on the midterms (and also those interested in the future of the US and the world).

Trump’s handling of North Korea has been popular and may account for the recent uptick in his popularity ratings (which are still abysmal)

Average percentage of Americans who approve or disapprove of Trump’s handling of different issues

APPROVE DISAPPROVE DIFF
    North Korea 52.0% 38.7% +13.3
    Economy 48.0 46.0 +2.0
    Terrorism* 47.0 48.0 -1.0
    Taxes* 46.0 47.0 -1.0
    Syria* 44.0 46.0 -2.0
    China* 42.0 48.0 -6.0
    Trade 41.0 48.7 -7.7
    Iran* 37.0 46.0 -9.0

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/trumps-handling-of-north-korea-has-been-one-of-the-few-things-americans-liked-about-his-presidency/?ex_cid=politicsnewsletter
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    Sean_F said:
    As a Remainer I'll be pleased.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989
    AndyJS said:
    I'm all in favour of parallel currencies. Greece should have done the same. Let the market determine the relative values. I'm dubious about Marxist top down control by central banks.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    AndyJS said:
    Ambrose Pritchard Evans?
    Fuhgeddaboutit.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    AndyJS said:
    AEP. Also, I don't think the bond swap made it into the coalition agreement.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,808

Pro_Rata said:

Pro_Rata said:

Some good data from Ian Warren being dumped on Twitter now:
    https://twitter.com/election_data/status/999675478465286144

Prediction: there will be a very Brexitty northern constituency on this list, and Lab remain will edge Lab leave. With the way votes have moved since 2015, that will suggest a fairly large Lab remain majority existed at the previous election.

First up Maidenhead, apparently the constituency with the second largest Tory remain vote in the country. Lol.
    Hemsworth up - Normanton and Featherstone definitely hit the left leave pit village button, 20% Kipper at GE15 and 3%ish Lab to Con swing in 17, very typical of the sort of northern seat of metro remainer imagination. Here Lab remain edged Lab leave here 43:42. Prediction intact.
    Normanton isn't in Hemsworth constituency.

Its in the constituency of Normanton, Pontefract and Castleford.

There's a clue in the name :wink:
    My mistake, the predecessor seat did contain Normanton and I erred in the skim read.

Still, the substantive point is that this polling suggests to me that there are probably no more than 20-40 GE 17 seats where more leavers than remainers voted Labour,. In a large percentage of northern, E Mids and S Wales WWC seats, the Labour vote still tended towards remain to varying degrees. Go back to GE15, subtract out subsequent UKIP to Lab switching, and I would suspect no more than half a dozen seats where the Labour vote itself was Leave leaning.

Yet the myth has grown that these are the people that drove Brexit rather than shire and indeed WWC Tories. The myth has grown that Labour should triangulate to leavers in their own base. Of course Corbyn's diffidence reduced the Labour remain vote from what it could have been, but that is not the same metric.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,065

Internet shopping.
    But Tesco couldn't make it pay so its not simply a shift to the internet.
  • Options
    archer101auarcher101au Posts: 1,612
    Barnesian said:

AndyJS said:
    I'm all in favour of parallel currencies. Greece should have done the same. Let the market determine the relative values. I'm dubious about Marxist top down control by central banks.
    Good for you! Government attempting to control money has been the primary cause of economic meltdowns for well over a century.
  • Options
    archer101auarcher101au Posts: 1,612

The Times has been told that at least one senior official intimately involved in the Brexit negotiations was at one stage prevented from seeing the prime minister by Mr Timothy. Sir Ivan Rogers, who was then Britain’s permanent representative to the EU, tried to alert Mrs May to what he believed were flaws in the government’s understanding of Brussels.

“He was told that he couldn’t write submissions to the prime minister and that everything had to go through the chief of staff,” one insider said.

“He tried to get one-to-one meetings with Mrs May and was rebuffed. Everything that the prime minister saw or heard was controlled by Nick.”

Senior sources said no attempt was made by Sir Jeremy to ensure Sir Ivan got access to Mrs May. Believing he had been frozen out, Sir Ivan quit. A former senior Whitehall figure said that had disastrous consequences for the initial stages of Brexit preparations.

“Losing Ivan Rogers at that point was really bad just as we were preparing our position on Article 50,” they said. “He was ex-Treasury and knew about budgets and financial services and how Brussels works. They just lost that. You’ve ended up with yes men and they’re bloody useless to everybody.”

Sir Ivan’s isolation was possible because the pair ripped up the previous practice in Downing Street that senior civil servants could directly put submissions and papers into the prime minister’s nightly and weekend red boxes.

Under the new regime material seen by the prime minister had to be vetted first either by Mr Timothy or Ms Hill. That not only dismayed Whitehall but gummed up the process of decision-making by inserting a fresh layer of bureaucracy into the No 10 operation.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/how-civil-servants-lived-in-fearof-the-terrible-twins-at-no-10-8smxqj6jw?CMP=Sprkr-_-Editorial-_-thetimes-_-Politics-_-Imageandlink-_-Statement-_-Unspecified-_-TWITTER&linkId=38798243

Sounds like Timothy was doing the right thing. He realised that May is convinced by the last argument that she sees and if civil servants could keep sending her papers she would never be able to make her mind up about anything. Which is exactly what happened after he left.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,808

AndyJS said:
    Ambrose Pritchard Evans?
    Fuhgeddaboutit.
    Italy is a clear and present risk to us, if "pour encourager les autres" becomes again a bigger consideration in the EU's mind.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Lifelong cricket fan Theresa May has been elected a member of the Marylebone Cricket Club which owns Lord’s cricket ground, The Telegraph can disclose.

Normally members have to wait 26 years to join the most famous cricket club in the world. Mrs May had to wait only a few months after the club fast-tracked her application.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/05/24/theresa-may-jumps-26-year-waiting-list-mcc-membership-fast-tracked/
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725

Lifelong cricket fan Theresa May has been elected a member of the Marylebone Cricket Club which owns Lord’s cricket ground, The Telegraph can disclose.

Normally members have to wait 26 years to join the most famous cricket club in the world. Mrs May had to wait only a few months after the club fast-tracked her application.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/05/24/theresa-may-jumps-26-year-waiting-list-mcc-membership-fast-tracked/

Well you need to have a few benefits from being PM. Particularly as she might not be PM later this year.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Masked hooligans attack Liverpool fans like a 'pack of dogs' in horrifying ambush ahead of Champions League final in Kiev

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/breaking-masked-hooligans-attack-liverpool-12592718
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    Three observations...why would anyone want to sit on a QT panel? Why would anyone want to go to the trouble of going to watch it live? And why would anyone watch it on TV? Life is fucking too short isn't it?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,986
    Pro_Rata said:

Pro_Rata said:

Pro_Rata said:

Some good data from Ian Warren being dumped on Twitter now:
    https://twitter.com/election_data/status/999675478465286144

Prediction: there will be a very Brexitty northern constituency on this list, and Lab remain will edge Lab leave. With the way votes have moved since 2015, that will suggest a fairly large Lab remain majority existed at the previous election.

First up Maidenhead, apparently the constituency with the second largest Tory remain vote in the country. Lol.
    Hemsworth up - Normanton and Featherstone definitely hit the left leave pit village button, 20% Kipper at GE15 and 3%ish Lab to Con swing in 17, very typical of the sort of northern seat of metro remainer imagination. Here Lab remain edged Lab leave here 43:42. Prediction intact.
    Normanton isn't in Hemsworth constituency.

Its in the constituency of Normanton, Pontefract and Castleford.

There's a clue in the name :wink:
    My mistake, the predecessor seat did contain Normanton and I erred in the skim read.

Still, the substantive point is that this polling suggests to me that there are probably no more than 20-40 GE 17 seats where more leavers than remainers voted Labour,. In a large percentage of northern, E Mids and S Wales WWC seats, the Labour vote still tended towards remain to varying degrees. Go back to GE15, subtract out subsequent UKIP to Lab switching, and I would suspect no more than half a dozen seats where the Labour vote itself was Leave leaning.

Yet the myth has grown that these are the people that drove Brexit rather than shire and indeed WWC Tories. The myth has grown that Labour should triangulate to leavers in their own base. Of course Corbyn's diffidence reduced the Labour remain vote from what it could have been, but that is not the same metric.
    Even those half a dozen seats could be crucial to whether Corbyn becomes PM or not given how tight the polls are, not forgetting 20% of 2015 UKIP voters are now voting Labour too and were part of the reason Corbyn got Labour to 40%
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    tyson said:

Three observations...why would anyone want to sit on a QT panel? Why would anyone want to go to the trouble of going to watch it live? And why would anyone watch it on TV? Life is fucking too short isn't it?

Why even comment about people commenting about it?
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    tyson said:

I was in the audience for QT at university and asked a question, though Dimbleby quickly moved on, it is filmed about 7pm and goes out at 10 30pm on a Thursday so unless you are a diehard Emmerdale or C4 news or Newsnight fan you are not really missing much
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    tyson said:

Question Time used to be one of the best programmes on TV in the 1980s and 1990s. The audience is too noisy these days, and the politicians are always interrupting each other.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

tyson said:

Question Time used to be one of the best programmes on TV in the 1980s and 1990s. The audience is too noisy these days, and the politicians are always interrupting each other.
    Thereby accurately reflecting the decline in British politics.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,268
    AndyJS said:

tyson said:

Question Time is like doing a jigsaw puzzle. A pointless way to pass the time until you die.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Charles said:

ydoethur said:

Amazon?

Thames waits for no man, no matter how Volga. But I guess you’re in deNile. Don’t work it’ll all come out in the Wash

None of my criticism is intended to be Trentchant, and I may even have Mersey if you admit defeat.

Good night all.
    Your 'Avon a laugh! But I'll give you some Lea-way.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

tyson said:

Question Time is like doing a jigsaw puzzle. A pointless way to pass the time until you die.
    Harsh, on jigsaw puzzles that at least give you a pretty picture at the end.

• Options
    edited May 2018
    Jonathan said:

AndyJS said:

tyson said:

Thereby accurately reflecting the decline in British politics.
    Yes, 30 years ago we could have had a QT panel of Cyril Smith, Jeffrey Archer, Jimmy Saville, Peter Morrison, Jeremy Thorpe, David Mellor and Rolf Harris and Max Clifford. Those were the days!
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    edited May 2018
    Jonathan said:

AndyJS said:

tyson said:

Apparently, most of us get surrounded by bright light and beckoning passed-on relatives. It does not sound too bad unless my Aunt Lily is in the crowd... in which case I will stick to the jigsaw
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,105

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

ydoethur said:

Amazon?

Good night all.
    Wye all Dee puns?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

AndyJS said:

tyson said:

http://www.landscapejuice.com/2009/07/jeremy-clarkson-gives-our-gardening-advice-for-petrolheads.html

"Gardening is like doing a jigsaw. A pointless way of passing the time until you die. Pruning is like putting the completed picture back in the box so that you can start again. And the net effect is that the tree you planted to shield the neighbours’ new skyscraper is now only 2in tall and looks stupid."
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

ydoethur said:

Amazon?

Good night all.
    Wye all Dee puns?
    Test-ing times. I'm Don with 'Eden good advice
  • Options

New Thread

• Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

ydoethur said:

Amazon?

Good night all.
    Wye all Dee puns?
    Test-ing times. I'm Don with 'Eden good advice
    Mersey! Show some Mersey kind sir....
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

AndyJS said:

tyson said:

I suppose it is.
This discussion has been closed.