Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Review : May 24th / 25th 2018

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited May 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Review : May 24th / 25th 2018

Aylsham on Broadland (Con defence) Result: Lib Dem 1,018 (46% +15% on last time), Con 865 (39% +7% on last time), Lab 328 (15% -7% on last time) (No UKIP candidate this time -15%) Liberal Democrat GAIN from Conservative with a majority of 153 (7%) on a swing of 4% from Con to Lib Dem)

Read the full story here

Comments

• Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    RCS if you get this message I'm regularly for the last week or two having an issue when the comments from the last couple of hours vanish and stop updating. Even comments that were there before will be gone after a refresh. It's like the server is pulling a cached version from 2 hours earlier. Having the same issue at the same time on both my mobile and PC across different browsers so it doesn't seem to be a browser issue.

Anyone else having this issue?
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,265
    I know a bit about the Farnham result: the Residents candidate is a former Kipper; Labour didn't campaign actively in this one; the LibDems made a serious effort. Very much decided on local issues.
  • CD13CD13 Posts: 6,349
    The Kirkby la Thorpe result is Ukip territory. So no surprise there.
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812
    FPT:

In a week in which we have had interesting reads from Cummings and Rogers, this - just published - is really the best thing I’ve read on Brexit to date.

It echoes Purple’s points. [from the previous thread], (It could even be *by* Purple). A must read for Leavers and Remainers.

http://chrisgreybrexitblog.blogspot.com/2018/05/forty-years-of-failed-political.html
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,846

RCS if you get this message I'm regularly for the last week or two having an issue when the comments from the last couple of hours vanish and stop updating. Even comments that were there before will be gone after a refresh. It's like the server is pulling a cached version from 2 hours earlier. Having the same issue at the same time on both my mobile and PC across different browsers so it doesn't seem to be a browser issue.

Yes but it goes away if I am signed in.

Yes but it goes away if I am signed in.
    Thanks, I normally lurk but I logged in to post that (last post was showing at ~3:30) but after I logged in and posted it was working fine. Hadn't linked the two.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Mr. Tyndall, that's an old piece of idiocy revived by the cretins who make EU legislation for things like VAT, data protection, old books, and totally buggering the internet.
  • AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    Is the EU deliberately working towards a policy where citizens aren't able to access the internet at all, or will it be an unintended consequence?

Good evening, everybody.
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Mark Littleworth:
    Am already looking forward to a second referendum in Ireland on abortion to make doubly sure that the electorate really did know what the the hell they were voting for. Am hoping Gina Miller will litigate to force a re-run.

3h

Hard not to chuckle.

Mr. Tyndall, that's an old piece of idiocy revived by the cretins who make EU legislation for things like VAT, data protection, old books, and totally buggering the internet.

Yep. But it is well and truly revived and at the moment looks like being passed. It is being voted on by the Legal Affairs Committee in a couple of weeks.
    Miss JGP, they're either full-blown morons or seeking to diminish the free exchange of news and information on the internet. It's nuts.

Mr. Tyndall, that's rather horrifying, but thanks for the information nevertheless.
  • RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    Latest Brexit prediction:

The EU offers May the substance of our membership, but with no say (ie worse than the status quo)

May dismally fails to get it through the Commons

We get a referendum on hard Brexit vs revoke Article 50.

Exciting!
    edited May 2018
    RoyalBlue said:

The EU offers May the substance of our membership, but with no say (ie worse than the status quo)

Exciting!

I’m not sure precisely how this plays out.
    If May cannot get her Brexit through the Commons she must surely resign.

Unless she then calls the referendum as an attempt to go beyond and around Parliament, supported by Brexiters who see another referendum as their only chance.

It does look, however, increasingly like the forces of Remain are getting their shit together.
  • brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    edited May 2018
    felix said:

Mark Littleworth:
    Am already looking forward to a second referendum in Ireland on abortion to make doubly sure that the electorate really did know what the the hell they were voting for. Am hoping Gina Miller will litigate to force a re-run.

3h

Hard not to chuckle.

At least the Irish won't mess about and wait up to 6 years to implement the voters decision in full. The Irish President will formally certify the amendment to the constitution on Tuesday I believe. The new legislation will be enacted by the Autumn.

So Gina Miller only has 48 hours in which to launch a formal legal challenge to the Irish Supreme Court!!
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,756
    felix said:

Mark Littleworth:

3h

Hard not to chuckle.

It's Mark Littlewood and there have already been several referendums regarding abortion in Ireland, but otherwise 'hilarious'.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,756
    This is the creator/writer of The Wire. He sure don't hold back.

https://twitter.com/AoDespair/status/1000410783606542336

RoyalBlue said:

Exciting!

Unless she then calls the referendum as an attempt to go beyond and around Parliament, supported by Brexiters who see another referendum as their only chance.

It does look, however, increasingly like the forces of Remain are getting their shit together.
    You mean all those lying scumbags who have spent the last year telling us they weren't trying to stop Brexit? Those forces of Remain?
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,587
    Bess and Buttler....
    I would not have predicted this mid-afternoon.

Were Buttler successfully to go medieval on the Pakistan bowlers tomorrow, there is the slimmest chance of a unlikely, and largely undeserved, England win...
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,587

This is the creator/writer of The Wire. He sure don't hold back.

https://twitter.com/AoDespair/status/1000410783606542336

And entirely justified in this case.

RoyalBlue said:

Exciting!

You mean all those lying scumbags who have spent the last year telling us they weren't trying to stop Brexit? Those forces of Remain?
    I mean the people trying to clean the sheets after you and your ilk shat the bed.
  • OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,911
    edited May 2018

On my PC the PB website comments are often an hour or 2 behind those on the vanilla forum. I often click on a new PB thread and no comments appear even thought it says below the article that there have been a number of comments. Today it is operating OK though
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,124

felix said:

Mark Littleworth:

3h

Hard not to chuckle.

It's Mark Littlewood and there have already been several referendums regarding abortion in Ireland, but otherwise 'hilarious'.
    So bitter. :)

RoyalBlue said:

Exciting!

I mean the people trying to clean the sheets after you and your ilk shat the bed.
    Bollocks. Just like the rest of the Remoaners you are just unwilling to accept democracy unless you are always winning. In all honesty you are a fucking disgrace.
  • TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    edited May 2018
    It is always important to remember your political rivals are not only incompetent but morally suspect...

Edit: I think last time I said something similar I got accused of invoking Hitler so I should point out it is aimed at all sides, not everyone but my side, not that I'm much on a side in the Brexit debate anyway...
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789
    edited May 2018
    RoyalBlue said:

Exciting!

Why would May try to get it through the Commons? She could simply go to the country, and watch Johnson, Davis, Gove and Fox squirm as they reluctantly say that we should remain in the EU.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,776

RoyalBlue said:

Exciting!

Bollocks. Just like the rest of the Remoaners you are just unwilling to accept democracy unless you are always winning. In all honesty you are a fucking disgrace.
    FPT, We don't possess "European Values" (many Europeans don' t possess them, either). Therefore it silly to try and forge a new nation of Europe, based upon such values.
    F1: still writing but here's the tip:

Ladbrokes: split one stake between (so profits are roughly equal) Raikkonen/Bottas each way on the Winner Without Ricciardo market. The odds are, respectively, 10 and 19, and the payout is a third the odds for top 3, rather than the usual fifth.

The top three teams are significantly faster than the rest and should pull away. Even if Vettel/Hamilton have trouble free races it's highly likely Raikkonen/Bottas will be next in line.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,082
    Sean_F said:

RoyalBlue said:

Exciting!

FPT, We don't possess "European Values" (many Europeans don' t possess them, either). Therefore it silly to try and forge a new nation of Europe, based upon such values.
    Speak for yourself sunshine, many of us do feel European and share European values. It is why, post Brexit, this is an issue not going away. There will be a substantial number of UK voters wanting to reintegrate withthe EU27, probably initially by tearing up the Tory Brexit, and renegotiating a new accord.
    Dr. Foxy, some polling on that would be interesting.

I suspect more people here feel they have a Yorkshire identity than a European one.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,745
    It's certainly an interesting and well-argued read. It emphasises the key role the events of 1989-90 played and the degree to which they changed and undermined the original intent of the EEC.

The EEC was not about maintaining the peace in Europe but it was the economic equivalent of NATO (with a European rather than Atlantic focus). The aim was to keep western Europe in the liberal democratic and capitalist fold by ensuring economic stability and prosperity was, if not actually shared, then perceived to be so the likes of Italy and France wouldn't be tempted by Marxism.

It also provided a vision of what could be for the Soviet Bloc countries - the possibility of prosperity which Marxist economics could never produce. It's no wonder these countries all wanted to be part of the "new Europe" which emerged as the post-Cold War confrontation ended.

The accession of a host of post-Soviet economies provided the dynamic that had thwarted earlier economic booms - cheap labour. I remember the Lawson boom of the 1980s - it stopped not because the jobs stopped but the people did. We've built the 21st century on cheap labour just as industrial Britain was built on workers coming off the land and London was built on people moving from the north of England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland to enrich themselves.
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 24,968
    Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

RoyalBlue said:

Exciting!

Speak for yourself sunshine, many of us do feel European and share European values. It is why, post Brexit, this is an issue not going away. There will be a substantial number of UK voters wanting to reintegrate withthe EU27, probably initially by tearing up the Tory Brexit, and renegotiating a new accord.
    What are these 'European values' and in what way would you lose them ?

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

RoyalBlue said:

Exciting!

Well indeed I'd love to know what values Foxy feels he shares that he doesn't share with eg Australia/NZ/Canada.
    Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

RoyalBlue said:

Exciting!

Some do, but most don't. We aren't trying to atone for home-grown dictatorships, or foreign occupation.
    I'm off now, but some late news is that engine changes in a few years seem set to toss out the MGU-H.
    https://twitter.com/racefansdotnet/status/1000434468266565632
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    edited May 2018
    Not in a position to check now, but looking to lay Verstappen for points / top6. He’d have to get a very well timed SC to make up two handfuls of places around Monaco.

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

RoyalBlue said:

Exciting!

Well indeed I'd love to know what values Foxy feels he shares that he doesn't share with eg Australia/NZ/Canada.
    You're an advocate of CANZEU?
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,718

RoyalBlue said:

Exciting!

If you don't get May's Brexit, you get Mogg, Corbyn or Johnson's Brexit in all likelihood, not a Soubry or Umunna BINO or a second referendum
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,775

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

RoyalBlue said:

Exciting!

I'm not sure Canada is as like us as you think: sure much of Eastern Canada is culturally similar to the UK.

But Quebec is (obviously) not.

And Calgary/Alberta is more like Texas in politics and cultural outlook.

And the West Coast (Vancouver, etc.) looks towards China and the East rather than back towards the UK.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,082
    Sean_F said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

RoyalBlue said:

Exciting!

Some do, but most don't. We aren't trying to atone for home-grown dictatorships, or foreign occupation.
    Neither are the Irish, Maltese, Swedes etc...
    rcs1000 said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

RoyalBlue said:

Exciting!

I'm not sure Canada is as like us as you think: sure much of Eastern Canada is culturally similar to the UK.

And the West Coast (Vancouver, etc.) looks towards China and the East rather than back towards the UK.
    At the time of independence the UK included Ireland, but they don't have the same dysfunctional attitude towards New World English-speaking countries. It's one of many reasons that we'd be better off consigning the UK to history.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,546
    New thread. You could be first!
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,769

rcs1000 said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

RoyalBlue said:

Exciting!

At the time of independence the UK included Ireland, but they don't have the same dysfunctional attitude towards New World English-speaking countries. It's one of many reasons that we'd be better off consigning the UK to history.
    I think you will find that in 1931 the Irish Free State had been in existence for nine years.
    edited May 2018
    ydoethur said:

I think you will find that in 1931 the Irish Free State had been in existence for nine years.

I was thinking of self-government in the 19th century, and also didn't just have Canada in mind but Australia and New Zealand too.

ydoethur said:

I was thinking of self-government in the 19th century, and also didn't just have Canada in mind but Australia and New Zealand too.
    Most of us like our country, but you don't. Your choice, but don't expect us to agree with you.
    edited May 2018
    Sean_F said:

ydoethur said:

Most of us like our country, but you don't. Your choice, but don't expect us to agree with you.
    I have more affection for the people in my country who disagree with my views on the EU than people like Richard Tyndall have for those who disagree with them.

In any case, I'm suggesting the nations of the UK should be states again, so I don't think the criticism is valid.
  • OllyT said:

On my PC the PB website comments are often an hour or 2 behind those on the vanilla forum. I often click on a new PB thread and no comments appear even thought it says below the article that there have been a number of comments. Today it is operating OK though
    The hour or two thing is a timezone issue, when you aren't logged in vanilla uses one timezone, if you are logged it uses the right timezone depending where you are it can be off by an hour or two if you aren't logged in.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,769

ydoethur said:

There is a very large difference between self-government and independence. The latter came for all Dominion states (except, ironically, the Irish Free State) in 1931. However, after 1927 at the latest the IFS was not part of the UK de facto or de jure.

Sean_F said:

ydoethur said:

I have more affection for the people in my country who disagree with my views on the EU than people like Richard Tyndall have for those who disagree with them.

In any case, I'm suggesting the nations of the UK should be states again, so I don't think the criticism is valid.
    I have no issue with those who disagree with me. Just those who disagree with the democratic process which apparently includes Gardenwalker.
    Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

RoyalBlue said:

Exciting!

Care to tell us what those 'European' values are? A contempt for democracy perhaps? An overweening need to control and centralise? Not sure they are the sorts of values I would like to be associated with.
    edited May 2018

Sean_F said:

ydoethur said:

I have no issue with those who disagree with me. Just those who disagree with the democratic process which apparently includes Gardenwalker.
    I honestly don’t think you know what democracy is.
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

There is a very large difference between self-government and independence. The latter came for all Dominion states (except, ironically, the Irish Free State) in 1931. However, after 1927 at the latest the IFS was not part of the UK de facto or de jure.
    Fair enough. Wrong on Canada.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,546

OllyT said:

The hour or two thing is a timezone issue, when you aren't logged in vanilla uses one timezone, if you are logged it uses the right timezone depending where you are it can be off by an hour or two if you aren't logged in.
    That might be part of the issue; except I'm having similar issues on computers whilst logged in. I've even seen posts out-of-order. It seems to vary; sometimes it's fine, and sometimes PB is rather hard to read.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    Britain feels less European than anywhere else in the EU
    A new report, published today by NatCen Social Research, reveals that fewer people in the UK feel any sense of European identity than do those in any other country in the European Union. The report – ‘Do we feel European and does it matter?’ – is the second in a series of briefing papers exploring Britain’s relationship with the European Union in the run up to the referendum as part of the ESRC-funded project ‘What UK Thinks: EU’.

According to the latest Eurobarometer survey, as many as 64% of people in the UK deny that they feel in any way ‘European’. In contrast, just 25% of people in Germany and 36% of people in France feel that way.

https://whatukthinks.org/eu/media-centre/britain-feels-less-european-than-anywhere-else-in-the-eu/
This discussion has been closed.