Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Taking Back Control

SystemSystem Posts: 11,007
edited May 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Taking Back Control

At this year’s Chelsea Flower Show, Birmingham City Council had an exuberantly floriferous display celebrating the Windrush generation.  It is a reminder (to non-gardeners at least) that many of the plants we think of as essential to the British garden come from the farthest reaches of the world.  A gentle – and quintessentially British – pastime (often unkindly seen as an activity best suited for the limbo between retirement and death) owes its beauty and variety to imports from China, South Africa, Turkey and South America.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,922
    Thanks @Cyclefree for a typically interesting header.

And while you're all here, can I recommend my latest video: What Causes Trade Deficits?

My wife says it's my best video yet. Please watch, subscribe, and share :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pKS2TCd_3c
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

And while you're all here, can I recommend my latest video: What Causes Trade Deficits?

I'd note that my Premiere Pro and After Effects skills are improving, so it doesn't look so PowerPoint-y any more.

Also, I did manage to get some heroin/smack references in there.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109
    Third (in a two horse race).

On topic, it's an interesting thread header Cyclefree but the odds of Sajid Javid succeeding where every Home Secretary since Asquith in 1895 has failed seem to me to be - shall we say - long.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,576
    rcs1000 said:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pKS2TCd_3c

I agree with your wife (as I'm sure you do!)

• Options

rcs1000 said:

And have you subscribed? :)
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    edited May 2018
    Good morning, everyone.

Bit sleepy/mildly pestilent but seems a good article.

Speaking of articles (although the 'good' bit is open to dispute) my post-race ramble about the Monaco Grand Procession is up here:
    http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/2018/05/monaco-post-race-analysis-2018.html

Edited extra bit: my F1 bet for the race has been resettled. I'll check a bit later, see if it's a winner or voided. I'm going to guess voided. Quick response from Ladbrokes, though, regardless of the action taken.
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    It was interesting, mostly what I have seen you say here but it always helps to have it in visual format, presentation stops it being too dry as well. Found your airline video interesting enough and I have very little interest in airline share prices but this one I have some interest in so it was good watch. The any Tom, Dick.... joke in the last video was better than any this video though.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Excellent thread.

FPT - while Brits share the concerns of their fellow Europeans about control of Immigration, they are much more positive about its impact than any of our European peers:

https://twitter.com/azeem/status/1000735631843131393

Whether this survives any 'open and generous' EU immigration offer from the government (in return for nothing as the EU will promptly bank it and move on to its next demand) remains to be seen...
  • Options

It was interesting, mostly what I have seen you say here but it always helps to have it in visual format, presentation stops it being too dry as well. Found your airline video interesting enough and I have very little interest in airline share prices but this one I have some interest in so it was good watch. The any Tom, Dick.... joke in the last video was better than any this video though.

Thank you, much appreciated
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,846

Good morning, everyone.

Bit sleepy/mildly pestilent but seems a good article.

Speaking of articles (although the 'good' bit is open to dispute) my post-race ramble about the Monaco Grand Procession is up here:
    http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/2018/05/monaco-post-race-analysis-2018.html

Edited extra bit: my F1 bet for the race has been resettled. I'll check a bit later, see if it's a winner or voided. I'm going to guess voided. Quick response from Ladbrokes, though, regardless of the action taken.

For some reason, Blogspot is eating any comments posted under your articles. My finely composed letter of praise for the Monégasque marshals disappeared into the ether when the publish button was pressed.
  • Options
    An excellent header as usual Ms Cyclefree, a debate that’s been allowed to be defined over the years mostly by those with extreme views on both sides, when 90% of us are not Nigel Farage or Yvette Cooper.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

Excellent thread.

FPT - while Brits share the concerns of their fellow Europeans about control of Immigration, they are much more positive about its impact than any of our European peers:

Whether this survives any 'open and generous' EU immigration offer from the government (in return for nothing as the EU will promptly bank it and move on to its next demand) remains to be seen...

Hungary 5%.

What has Mr Meeks been saying to them?
  • Options
    Mildly, but pleasantly, surprised that the Raikkonen bet result came in green. Gosh.
  • Options
    Mr. Sandpit, thanks for letting me know about that. I'll give it a look the next time I'm logged in (probably later this morning), just make sure no settings have changed.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924
    Thanks, Ms Cyclefree; as others have said, an interesting and thought provoking header. On the justice point, Of course there was opposition to the admission of the Ugandan Asians back in the early 70’s, but as I recall it, there was also considerable sympathy for the situation in which they found themselves.
    Very much the position adopted in the case of the Windrush generation, now the enormity of the official position is becoming clear.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    A very odd thread (sorry @Cyclefree). All bar the last two paragraphs is aimed at a straw man target. Few indeed would suggest that the nation has no interest in controlling immigration, whatever the immigrants themselves might wish for.

Then the last two paragraphs compress a huge amount of tendentious argument into a few sentences. What, in a world that is becoming steadily more mobile, is the national interest? Why do people who are otherwise very laissez-faire feel that they should micromanage supply of people? Call me a cynic but I question whether a Home Office that thought it a good idea on any level to destroy landing cards is going to be particularly astute at judging exactly what types of IT professionals are needed by Old Street start-ups. Yet that is what points systems and like rubbish will require of it.

Britain is already unilaterally getting out of one major international obligation. Unilaterally withdrawing from the Refugee Convention would confirm Britain's status as a problem child state (and for what? Britain takes in trivial numbers of asylum seekers compared with many states around the world).

The single most important thing to realise about immigration control is that it is very difficult, even for an island. Working out the level of control that is desirable is never going to be easy and it's improbable that a consensus will be forged between underskilled workers who see an attack on their earnings power and employers eager to improve the quantity and quality of potential workers. Britain has till recently benefited from immigrants who are on average considerably better educated than the domestic workforce and who by and large have integrated reasonably enough. It is not obvious that the overall balance currently being struck is a bad one. The new tone, however, is awful.

As Britain pulls up the drawbridge (at a time of a buoyant labour market), we can expect labour shortages in the short term and the offshoring of sectors in the medium term. That sounds most unlikely to be in the national interest. But the hard-headed decisions that are actually required are ones which no one is trying to explain to the public.

Far easier to scare the public with untrue claims of hordes of Turks being poised to descend on Britain.
  • Options

A very odd thread (sorry @Cyclefree). All bar the last two paragraphs is aimed at a straw man target. Few indeed would suggest that the nation has no interest in controlling immigration, whatever the immigrants themselves might wish for.

Then the last two paragraphs compress a huge amount of tendentious argument into a few sentences. What, in a world that is becoming steadily more mobile, is the national interest? Why do people who are otherwise very laissez-faire feel that they should micromanage supply of people? Call me a cynic but I question whether a Home Office that thought it a good idea on any level to destroy landing cards is going to be particularly astute at judging exactly what types of IT professionals are needed by Old Street start-ups. Yet that is what points systems and like rubbish will require of it.

Britain is already unilaterally getting out of one major international obligation. Unilaterally withdrawing from the Refugee Convention would confirm Britain's status as a problem child state (and for what? Britain takes in trivial numbers of asylum seekers compared with many states around the world).

The single most important thing to realise about immigration control is that it is very difficult, even for an island. Working out the level of control that is desirable is never going to be easy and it's improbable that a consensus will be forged between underskilled workers who see an attack on their earnings power and employers eager to improve the quantity and quality of potential workers. Britain has till recently benefited from immigrants who are on average considerably better educated than the domestic workforce and who by and large have integrated reasonably enough. It is not obvious that the overall balance currently being struck is a bad one. The new tone, however, is awful.

As Britain pulls up the drawbridge (at a time of a buoyant labour market), we can expect labour shortages in the short term and the offshoring of sectors in the medium term. That sounds most unlikely to be in the national interest. But the hard-headed decisions that are actually required are ones which no one is trying to explain to the public.

Far easier to scare the public with untrue claims of hordes of Turks being poised to descend on Britain.

Are we withdrawing from the Refugee Convention?
  • Options
    Miss Vance, cheers for posting that.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,130
    rcs1000 said:

The problem I see is how countries get stuck with a near permanent bias one way or the other. The UK has had a deficit every month since 1997. That's a very long time. Germany has been running a trade surplus since the early 1960s. This is where the distinction between trade balance and current account becomes important. Our economy is increasingly having to pay rent on assets based here because they are foreign owned. This is an inevitable effect of running a deficit. Conversely, Germany is buying up much of eastern Europe in particular and will receive rent/profits from those investments.

The result is that even if we improve our productivity and skills it becomes increasingly difficult to have a positive trade balance because so much of our success is exported in rent/profits. In that scenario, very familiar in Latin America for example, improving the standard of living of the locals becomes very difficult resulting, ironically, in yet more pressure to increase consumption.

In short I think it is wrong to state that trade balances are merely cyclical and are not something for governments to worry about. We lived on our foreign investments, many from the previous century, for a very long time. But if the UK is to offer its citizens a higher standard of living in this century trade is important, not just as a measure of our competitiveness (the Trump idea) but because we are impoverishing our future selves.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,530

Excellent thread.

Though the data in the poll are not supportive of the tagline, indeed :

"However, despite these overall trends just one in five say they have become more positive about immigration since the Brexit vote and one in four say they have become more negative."

https://www.ipsos.com/ipsos-mori/en-uk/attitudes-towards-immigration-after-windrush
  • Options

I was referring to Ms Cyclefree's suggestion; "It means reconsidering whether asylum laws and Conventions written in and for a different age need to be reviewed and rewritten."
  • Options
    Mr. Sandpit, I just checked and there shouldn't be any problem posting a comment.

In accordance with scientific principles, I tried posting my own comment and it seemed to go through fine. The problem could be at your end. Perhaps worth giving it another crack [the problem may have been from my end but temporary].
  • Options
    DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

The problem I see is how countries get stuck with a near permanent bias one way or the other. The UK has had a deficit every month since 1997. That's a very long time. Germany has been running a trade surplus since the early 1960s. This is where the distinction between trade balance and current account becomes important. Our economy is increasingly having to pay rent on assets based here because they are foreign owned. This is an inevitable effect of running a deficit. Conversely, Germany is buying up much of eastern Europe in particular and will receive rent/profits from those investments.

The result is that even if we improve our productivity and skills it becomes increasingly difficult to have a positive trade balance because so much of our success is exported in rent/profits. In that scenario, very familiar in Latin America for example, improving the standard of living of the locals becomes very difficult resulting, ironically, in yet more pressure to increase consumption.

In short I think it is wrong to state that trade balances are merely cyclical and are not something for governments to worry about. We lived on our foreign investments, many from the previous century, for a very long time. But if the UK is to offer its citizens a higher standard of living in this century trade is important, not just as a measure of our competitiveness (the Trump idea) but because we are impoverishing our future selves.
    Ahhh, but I agree completely with you.

You missed the nuance - "In a normal, cyclical, economy" I said - one of my next videos (after I handle oil) is going to be about why we no longer see natural cycles in the way we used to.

Basically, I think I'm going to argue for Bretton Woods II (which, btw, might be a wonderful way for Eurozone countries to escape their trap in a controlled manner).
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,372
    DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

A very good comment.
    (One symptom is the increasing foreign ownership of our our utilities.)
  • Options
    You know, there's probably a lot of wisdom in that thread, but I can't be arsed to read through 120 posts.
  • Options
    edited May 2018

I was referring to Ms Cyclefree's suggestion; "It means reconsidering whether asylum laws and Conventions written in and for a different age need to be reviewed and rewritten."
    I don’t think that conclusion can be drawn. That the situation has changed since 1951 is unquestionable, so whether the rules drawn up at that time still apply, or apply n the same way is a different matter.
    Assuming a best case scenario (I know, I know) how many Afghan, Iraqi and Syrian refugees would return home?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,153

I don’t think Britain should unilaterally withdraw from refugee Conventions. But do they work in today’s age? Under the Dublin Convention asylum seekers are meant to seek asylum in the first safe country they arrive at. But that does not happen and puts enormous pressure on certain countries - Italy, for instance - and not others. So what’s the answer? Those Conventions do place the asylum seeker’s rights above the rights of the country they land in. Is that tenable when there are so very many asylum seekers?

Similarly if we don’t have some sort of points system for other sorts of migrants what should we have? A free for all? And if not that, what?

Frightening people about Turks is wrong. But people do have justifiable concerns about large scale immigration of Muslims - see, for instance, concerns expressed in Germany and France and in Eastern Europe - and it is not enough of an answer to those concerns to say “racist” or to point out that some posters were wrong and alarmist.

I agree that the tone is wrong and that what we are currently doing is likely to be the wrong way around, putting people we want off and doing nothing to address the concerns of those worried about societal change.

I wish I knew what the answers were. But those who deplore the current mess need to be wary, IMO, of giving the impression that nothing should be done at all to control immigration. That is not a tenable position.

Anyway thanks for the comments.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

The foreign ownership of our utilities is the same as the foreign ownership of any UK asset: an apartment in Pimlico that is rented out, a factory in Sunderland which produces cars, British government debt, etc.

One owns something income producing, and one benefits from the dividend, rent or interest stream.

There is nothing unique or special about utilities, except to remember that the reason why foreigners own these assets is because governments since the Major administration of 1992-95 have prioritized consumption over saving.
  • Options
    On topic we apparently want to import more doctors and fewer big issue sellers. Putting aside the morality of stealing doctors trained at another, usually poorer, country's expense one can see the logic of that. We want immigrants that help to make us better off by bringing skills that we are short of or which our education system/training are too inept to provide.

We also seem to want poor people to do jobs we would rather not such as picking vegetables or wiping our pensioner's arses for them in care homes.

This is a difficult balance. What the last 20 years or so have taught us is that importing labour or skills depresses the price that the indigenous labour can charge thus further reducing future supply of those skills. There are times when it is better to accept the inconvenience of short term shortages to improve longer term skill bases. Many of our trades are an example of this.

Finally, a key aspect that led to the B vote is that we need to look at immigration holistically. That is, we don't want to simply look at whether there is a high demand for labour but whether we have the housing, schools, doctors, infrastructure etc to cope with large increases in population without materially and adversely affecting our social environment. It is an unfortunate fact that the more rapidly growing areas of our country where the demand for additional labour is strongest are very full already and attempts to redistribute that growth have almost completely failed.

FOM, combined with open access by a significant number of much poorer countries really was a catastrophic approach which resulted in none of our interests being met. We imported far too many people, we suppressed demand for local skills, we degraded the quality of our environment by overcrowding and we reduced the incentive to train locals. The fact that that imported labour was employed for the most part really isn't the point. The consequences were and are adverse for the majority of our population. Almost any domestically focussed policy will be better than that.

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

You missed the nuance - "In a normal, cyclical, economy" I said - one of my next videos (after I handle oil) is going to be about why we no longer see natural cycles in the way we used to.

Basically, I think I'm going to argue for Bretton Woods II (which, btw, might be a wonderful way for Eurozone countries to escape their trap in a controlled manner).
    The videos are good and getting better. Something on oil would be interesting, despite major efforts to diversify it’s still rather an important commodity in certain parts of the world ;)

Do you think something like Bretton Woods would be negotiable today, given the power dynamics in the West (with rising populism and Trump) and the growing power of China and India? It could be argued that the ERM which led to the Euro was an attempt at Bretton Woods II, and we are seeing in Italy now how that’s working out.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

This is a difficult balance. What the last 20 years or so have taught us is that importing labour or skills depresses the price that the indigenous labour can charge thus further reducing future supply of those skills.

Is there evidence that people doing - say - hairdressing have had worse income outcomes in the UK in the last 20 years, that (say) those in Japan?

Because this one of these areas where it's very easy to *assume* facts, and then fit the narrative around them.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

Excellent thread.

this cant be right, they're all racists and xenophobes
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

We haven't had normal cyclical economies since the collapse of Bretton Woods. Like a lot of propositions in economics it becomes increasingly difficult to work out what "normal" even looks like. I look forward to your video on that. I have now subscribed.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

The single most important thing to realise about immigration control is that it is very difficult, even for an island.

I don’t think Britain should unilaterally withdraw from refugee Conventions. But do they work in today’s age? Under the Dublin Convention asylum seekers are meant to seek asylum in the first safe country they arrive at. But that does not happen and puts enormous pressure on certain countries - Italy, for instance - and not others. So what’s the answer? Those Conventions do place the asylum seeker’s rights above the rights of the country they land in. Is that tenable when there are so very many asylum seekers?

Similarly if we don’t have some sort of points system for other sorts of migrants what should we have? A free for all? And if not that, what?

Frightening people about Turks is wrong. But people do have justifiable concerns about large scale immigration of Muslims - see, for instance, concerns expressed in Germany and France and in Eastern Europe - and it is not enough of an answer to those concerns to say “racist” or to point out that some posters were wrong and alarmist.

I agree that the tone is wrong and that what we are currently doing is likely to be the wrong way around, putting people we want off and doing nothing to address the concerns of those worried about societal change.

I wish I knew what the answers were. But those who deplore the current mess need to be wary, IMO, of giving the impression that nothing should be done at all to control immigration. That is not a tenable position.

To answer your points in turn:

The Refugee Convention was drawn up in the wake of the Second World War. The signatories will have been keenly aware of the potential number of asylum seekers. Britain doesn’t take many. I agree that some other countries have more ground for complaint. This is not a priority for Britain though.

Britain’s current system works tolerably well in the round, attracting high quality immigrants on average. It is much the weakest where the state gets involved in judging the quality. Expanding that role for the state looks daft. Part of the problem is the implied suggestion accepted by many unquestioningly that Britain doesn’t currently control immigration. It does.
  • Options

See my answer below. Something to be done collectively. Unilateral withdrawal is not the answer. Matthew Parris was the first politician to make this suggestion some time ago so I do not claim this as my original idea. There is huge confusion between asylum seekers and economic migrants and in our age of travel these Conventions no longer work as well as they should. And what of those rejected for asylum? Deportation? To where - especially when it can be hard to establish identity and some home countries refuse to accept returnees?

Detention: but then there is wailing about the awful conditions. Or should rejected asylum seekers be allowed to stay in the expectation that they will turn up at the airport when it is their turn to be deported? (Abbott’s ludicrously naive recent suggestion?)
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

Making things up Meeks just like a poster you keep telling us about.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

We haven't had normal cyclical economies since the collapse of Bretton Woods. Like a lot of propositions in economics it becomes increasingly difficult to work out what "normal" even looks like. I look forward to your video on that. I have now subscribed.
    "We haven't had normal cyclical economies since the collapse of Bretton Woods"

I think that's a little harsh. I think 1997 marks the turning point for the world: before then, most (albeit not all) countries ran close to zero on a ten year moving average current account basis.

They all had their ups, and they all had their downs.

But after 1997, that began to break down.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

This is a difficult balance. What the last 20 years or so have taught us is that importing labour or skills depresses the price that the indigenous labour can charge thus further reducing future supply of those skills.

Is there evidence that people doing - say - hairdressing have had worse income outcomes in the UK in the last 20 years, that (say) those in Japan?

Because this one of these areas where it's very easy to *assume* facts, and then fit the narrative around them.
    I have not studied demand for hairdressing being a short back and sides man myself but anecdotally the female members of my family seem to go to very expensive hairdressers which are increasingly staffed by imported labour. My wife has reported that the owner of a local salon no longer takes girls out of the local college because she considers them poorly trained and with a disappointing work ethic compared to the available competition.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

The foreign ownership of our utilities is the same as the foreign ownership of any UK asset: an apartment in Pimlico that is rented out, a factory in Sunderland which produces cars, British government debt, etc.

One owns something income producing, and one benefits from the dividend, rent or interest stream.

There is nothing unique or special about utilities, except to remember that the reason why foreigners own these assets is because governments since the Major administration of 1992-95 have prioritized consumption over saving.
    One thing special about utilities is they often enjoy de facto monopolies, and another is that in some cases they are subsidised; a third is that having been freed from the dead hand of the state, they might even be owned by foreign states.

The wider points are that the ideological basis for privatisation was nonsense, it was just a magic money tree, and it worsens our balance of payments as dividends flow abroad.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mr L,

A logical analysis, but politicians are not logical. Often they will support policies they want to be correct despite the lack of evidence, or often when all the evidence is to the contrary. They will then deny any error.

"Not many Poles will come. not many Rumanians will come," despite wafting honey in front of faces. Jezza will always believe that only Trotsky-style socialism can work. Venezuela failed? Therefore it can't be true socialism.

And it's not restricted to the left, the right are just as bad.

So politics in institutionally wrong-ist. A well-meaning idiot, a real activist working for what they believe in are not saints, they are usually part of the problem. A separation into extremes may be good politics (we're always good and right, the others are always bad and wrong) verges on infantile, but it's what we get. On this, the Guardian is on a par with the Daily Mail.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could say "We tried communism but it fell foul of human nature" or "Capitalism brought us out a feudal system but it might be unsuited to modern and a fairer life without more checks and balances."

No chance.

• Options

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

One thing special about utilities is they often enjoy de facto monopolies, and another is that in some cases they are subsidised; a third is that having been freed from the dead hand of the state, they might even be owned by foreign states.

The wider points are that the ideological basis for privatisation was nonsense, it was just a magic money tree, and it worsens our balance of payments as dividends flow abroad.
    You raise excellent points, that I need to address. (Some in agreement, some not.) But I need to go to bed, so please could you repost this in about 12 hours so I can respond :)
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

And have you subscribed? :)
    Certainly.

It's the wisest move for any husband to officially subscribe to the fact that you should "agree with your wife."

Unofficially is another matter .... :smiley:
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

"We haven't had normal cyclical economies since the collapse of Bretton Woods"

I think that's a little harsh. I think 1997 marks the turning point for the world: before then, most (albeit not all) countries ran close to zero on a ten year moving average current account basis.

They all had their ups, and they all had their downs.

But after 1997, that began to break down.
    Ok, maybe an overstatement but the point is that that cyclical balance exists where there is a structure to support it and to penalise those countries that indulge in excess consumption by putting pressure on the currency, ability to borrow abroad etc. As that infrastructure has collapsed so have the tendencies to balance.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,905
    "Above all, it means taking back control both from the “Abroad is unutterably bloody and foreigners are fiends” crowd and those who think that wanting any limit on or control over immigration is the mark of Cain."

I find it hard to believe there are that many of either group who exist.
    Certainly none in govt.

The first step should be to define what the problem is, if there is one.
    The govt has defined the problem as: net migration is over 100k.
    That's a dumb definition and has led to a number of related messes like Windrush, ridiculous home office fees, the lunacy of trying to actively harm one of our largest export industries etc.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

The single most important thing to realise about immigration control is that it is very difficult, even for an island.

The Refugee Convention was drawn up in the wake of the Second World War. The signatories will have been keenly aware of the potential number of asylum seekers. Britain doesn’t take many. I agree that some other countries have more ground for complaint. This is not a priority for Britain though.

Britain’s current system works tolerably well in the round, attracting high quality immigrants on average. It is much the weakest where the state gets involved in judging the quality. Expanding that role for the state looks daft. Part of the problem is the implied suggestion accepted by many unquestioningly that Britain doesn’t currently control immigration. It does.
    The original refugee convention only applied to European refugees, and was geographically expanded in 1967. The vast numbers of post war displaced persons were known, but were of European origin, and easy to integrate, whether Volksdeutsch expelled from the East, or anti-Communist members of the Polish Army fighting in British uniform.

Repealing the 1967 protocol wouldcertainly reduce the figures now.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    rcs1000 said:

You know, there's probably a lot of wisdom in that thread, but I can't be arsed to read through 120 posts.
    Tl;Dr version

Credit agencies and financial institutions effectively blocked the appointment of a hard Eurosceptic finance minister, so the populists have declined to form a government. President will probably appoint a technocrat, further boosting the populists.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

I don't think that in economic terms that they are that special. The fact that they are monopolies makes them regulated so we can control (up to a point) their profitability. If we choose to subsidise the service they provide that is a decision by us which is only one factor in the charge they make. Their ownership by foreign states does not seem to be as much of a problem as being owned by our state because that foreign state may still choose to close, an option not available to the domestic state. It is a commercial investment which still has the drive to maximise productivity and cut out waste.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    While I'm on the subject, my definition of "an activist* as produced by the BBC …

"An unemployed and unemployable know-it-all, impervious to logic, who knows someone at the BBC who's easily impressed by rants rather than facts."
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Thank you, much appreciated
    Wot no bar charts Robert .... are you really your fathers son ?!?
  • Options

Excellent thread.

Nope, 52 % are :)
  • Options
    Looking at Italy, it's hard to see it as anything but the EU stopping an elected government. This really cant be good for them in the long run
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

I didn’t say they was anything particularly special about it, merely said that it was a symptom. Utilities (with the notable exception of rail) tend to be steady and predictable sources of income, though.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799
    Freggles said:

rcs1000 said:

Tl;Dr version

Credit agencies and financial institutions effectively blocked the appointment of a hard Eurosceptic finance minister, so the populists have declined to form a government. President will probably appoint a technocrat, further boosting the populists.
    The Italian President has surely exceeded his authority, here. Blocking an appointment by a Prime Minister should be on grounds of ethics, not political disagreement.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Excellent thread.

Nope, 52 % are :)
    and 48% are wallet huggers
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Freggles said:

rcs1000 said:

Tl;Dr version

The Italian President has surely exceeded his authority, here. Blocking an appointment by a Prime Minister should be on grounds of ethics, not political disagreement.
    Where's Andrea when you need him?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,908

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

"The ideological basis for privatisation was nonsense"

Why?

And why isn't the ideological basis for nationalisation equally nonsense, given its colourful history of failures?
  • Options

Looking at Italy, it's hard to see it as anything but the EU stopping an elected government. This really cant be good for them in the long run

No, President Mattarella is not an EU appointee, he was elected by Italians according to their Constitution.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Freggles said:

rcs1000 said:

Tl;Dr version

it's his choice of replacement PM that sort of digs him in a deep hole

an IMF technocrat leaves him very little room for argument
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

It may not be a priority for Britain. But I do think it a priority for Europe and I think Britain should be part of that debate/conversation.

I suppose the question is: does Britain control immigration effectively? And does it talk about the issue in a way which is sensible? Even if you think the answer to the first is yes - and many may disagree - the answer to the second is no. And that, IMO, leads to political problems.

Perhaps naively I think that if you can talk about a subject calmly and sensibly it makes it easier to get broad agreement on a policy.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

No, President Mattarella is not an EU appointee, he was elected by Italians according to their Constitution.
    I didn't say he was an appointee, I said he was their man doing their work and that long term this wont help them.

I doubt Italians give a toss for the health of the german and French banking sectors
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

It is certainly possible to control immigration.

It just requires an unpleasant Government willing to do nasty things .... err, like in Hungary.
  • Options
    Mr. W, being interviewed to be the new Finance Minister for Italy?
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,905
    rcs1000 said:

I liked the "This is sarcasm" banner.
  • Options

It just requires an unpleasant Government willing to do nasty things .... err, like in Hungary.
    Or expelling Windrush migrants...

The level of discomfort inflicted would have to be extreme to deter people who are willing to walk across the Sahara.

By the end of this Century, Africa will nearly catch up with Asia in terms of poppulation. As recently as 2000 it was the same population as Europe.

https://twitter.com/neurosocialself/status/995626906010583040?s=19

• Options
    DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

I have not studied demand for hairdressing being a short back and sides man myself but anecdotally the female members of my family seem to go to very expensive hairdressers which are increasingly staffed by imported labour. My wife has reported that the owner of a local salon no longer takes girls out of the local college because she considers them poorly trained and with a disappointing work ethic compared to the available competition.
    Even our remaining areas of competitive advantage are under assault from better trained overseas practitioners....
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-44276216
    :smile:
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,251
    While enjoying a beautiful sunny morning on the Ionian Sea I just want to say how good a contributor is Cyclefree and I fully endorse her comments. I will comment more on Brexit on my return from this cruise but the value of Europe wide 4G access is amazing compared to the ships satelite internet access
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845

While enjoying a beautiful sunny morning on the Ionian Sea I just want to say how good a contributor is Cyclefree and I fully endorse her comments. I will comment more on Brexit on my return from this cruise but the value of Europe wide 4G access is amazing compared to the ships satelite internet access

Stop teasing us, Big G.
    Your Med-inspired conclusions on Brexit are hotly anticipated.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

Why?

And why isn't the ideological basis for nationalisation equally nonsense, given its colourful history of failures?
    The ideological basis of many things is nonsense but this is whataboutery. If the government (any government) believes that state ownership of utilities is a bad thing in and of itself, then it should take measures to prevent ownership by foreign states.
  • Options

Mr. W, being interviewed to be the new Finance Minister for Italy?

Quite possibly .... :sunglasses:

Mrs JackW and I are being feted for the day by the admiring masses of Auchentennach (a day out with relatives) so I wish PBers an enjoyable bank holiday.

• Options
    rkrkrk said:

rcs1000 said:

I liked the "This is sarcasm" banner.
    Except that in the extract(s) shown, Trump did make sense, whether right or wrong.
  • Options

Stop teasing us, Big G.
    Your Med-inspired conclusions on Brexit are hotly anticipated.
    Why spoil the beauty of a sunny sea day with politics but I did vote remain - ( another tease maybe or ?)
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

Why?

The ideological basis of many things is nonsense but this is whataboutery. If the government (any government) believes that state ownership of utilities is a bad thing in and of itself, then it should take measures to prevent ownership by foreign states.
    It was a valid response to your post.

And your argument is wrong: a utility or whatever owned by *the* state is subject to a heck of a lot of internal pressures, e.g. from unions, the treasury and headlines. A utility or whatever owned by *another* state has much less latitude for nonsense based on headlines and electoral cycles in the 'external' country.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    Foxy said:

The level of discomfort inflicted would have to be extreme to deter people who are willing to walk across the Sahara.

" ... walk across the Sahara ...."

You make it sound like a Young LibDems back-packing holiday to North Africa.

They don't walk -- they pay to use camels or trucks or LandRovers and they pay for protection.

Even if they had the physical stamina and the resources, walkers would be at the mercy of the many armed and dangerous militias and traffickers.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

I hope you are enjoying yourself!
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,822
    Morning All :)

Thank you, as always, for the interesting and well-argued piece, Cyclefree. I actually had to out down my pearls (beloved of all liberals apparently) to read it.

There's not much with which I disagree. I see the full effects of the current policy up close and personal on a daily basis in East Ham. If the expectation is that all those who come here should share your values, there's some measure of success. Most migrants want the full fruits of capitalism as they see it - a nice phone, a nice car, plenty of gadgets for the flat or small room which is all they can afford. Indeed, they embrace capitalism in a way some British people do no longer.

Yes, there are those who seek to advance materially through means other than legitimate employment and the beggars and panhandlers are a nuisance but they know in Newham (the most God fearing part of the whole country based on the 2011 Census) they can rely on the Christian charity of others to keep the plastic cup nicely topped up with small change. As for the Albanian crime gangs and the drug dealers, that's a consequence the under-resourced and under-funded (thanks Boris) Met struggles to fight.

Even if all who came here were skilled workers with jobs the infrastructure has totally failed to keep pace with the numbers. The medical services are creaking - I found out via an FOI request the numbers registering at my local GP have risen 50% in three years. The tubes are impossibly crowded morning and evening and a frantic programme of school building has been needed to keep pace with the new waves of children coming through.

If immigration is seen purely in economic terms, it's a success, fairly modest I think but a success nonetheless. This is the argument put up by the Right - all that matters is economic growth so in the end we are simply economic units, drones if you like, who work and consume to keep the leviathan that is the British economy crawling forward. Economic growth justifies anything and everything including an open door immigration policy to provide cheap labour and a Single Market to "help" business.

Perhaps considering immigration and its impacts from other angles might be a start. Is the only measure that matters economic growth ? Do the less easily quantifiable measures have any relevance ? Has the creation of a new generation of slum in terms of overcrowded dwellings, been a good thing ?

REMAIN lost because they presented the arguments purely in economic terms and assumed that if people believed economic growth and prosperity was all that mattered, they would vote accordingly. Yet for many the "price" of that growth, anaemic as it was and is, in terms of the changes in their communities and their daily experience of life in "their" country, was no longer worth paying. "It's the economy, stupid" no longer worked.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,965
    CD13 said:

While I'm on the subject, my definition of "an activist* as produced by the BBC …

"An unemployed and unemployable know-it-all, impervious to logic, who knows someone at the BBC who's easily impressed by rants rather than facts."

Tommy Robinson and/or his disciples?
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    stodge said:

REMAIN lost because they presented the arguments purely in economic terms and assumed that if people believed economic growth and prosperity was all that mattered, they would vote accordingly. Yet for many the "price" of that growth, anaemic as it was and is, in terms of the changes in their communities and their daily experience of life in "their" country, was no longer worth paying. "It's the economy, stupid" no longer worked.

I'm not sure how much that's the case.

The economy is meant to represent the financial well-being of us all, but one problem is that the media and politicians tend to focus on numbers like GDP rather than what is meant to underline those numbers.

If GDP is growing then we are getting financially better off right? Well no. Not if GDP per capita is stagnating but immigration is growing GDP just because there's more people even though individually we're not better off. Or not if the growth is concentrated in a few locations/groups.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Foxy said:

By the end of this Century, Africa will nearly catch up with Asia in terms of poppulation. As recently as 2000 it was the same population as Europe.

Interesting to see how much Oceania (Australia and NZ essentially) are forecast to grow. While Europe is stagnating, Oceania's population is going to more than double. It would indicate Australia will ultimately have about the same population as England.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,822

I'm not sure how much that's the case.

The economy is meant to represent the financial well-being of us all, but one problem is that the media and politicians tend to focus on numbers like GDP rather than what is meant to underline those numbers.

If GDP is growing then we are getting financially better off right? Well no. Not if GDP per capita is stagnating but immigration is growing GDP just because there's more people even though individually we're not better off. Or not if the growth is concentrated in a few locations/groups.

I'm not sure we disagree that much to be honest. As with the debate on crime, it's a question of statistics vs perception. You can believe or trust the official statistics if you want and, as some on here do, cheer a 0.3% quarterly GDP rise from the rooftops (though it's much more about cheap political point scoring) or you can look at your own situation and say your economic fortunes have stagnated at best in the last decade.

If you are in the latter camp, the blandishments of Team Corbyn may be attractive but that's another debate for another time. The argument that the Single Market and free movement within the EU has contributed to economic prosperity won't resonate if you aren't experiencing that prosperity and if the economic argument fails, other arguments will take their place.
  • Options
    RobD said:

I hope you are enjoying yourself!
    Thank you - we really are having another great cruise and sea days with limited internet access are a joy. Raises the question were the days before the internet more relaxing
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,267
    rcs1000 said:

You're more ginger than I thought.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Morning All :)

Thank you, as always, for the interesting and well-argued piece, Cyclefree. I actually had to out down my pearls (beloved of all liberals apparently) to read it.

There's not much with which I disagree. I see the full effects of the current policy up close and personal on a daily basis in East Ham. If the expectation is that all those who come here should share your values, there's some measure of success. Most migrants want the full fruits of capitalism as they see it - a nice phone, a nice car, plenty of gadgets for the flat or small room which is all they can afford. Indeed, they embrace capitalism in a way some British people do no longer.

Yes, there are those who seek to advance materially through means other than legitimate employment and the beggars and panhandlers are a nuisance but they know in Newham (the most God fearing part of the whole

Even if all who came here were skilled workers with jobs the infrastructure has totally failed to keep pace with the numbers. The medical services are creaking - I found out via an FOI request the numbers registering at my local GP have risen 50% in three years. The tubes are impossibly crowded morning and evening and a frantic programme of school building has been needed to keep pace with the new waves of children coming through.

If immigration is seen purely in economic terms, it's a success, fairly modest I think but a success nonetheless. This is the argument put up by the Right - all that matters is economic growth so in the end we are simply economic units, drones if you like, who work and consume to keep the leviathan that is the British economy crawling forward. Economic growth justifies anything and everything including an open door immigration policy to provide cheap labour and a Single Market to "help" business.

Perhaps considering immigration and its impacts from other angles might be a start. Is the only measure that matters economic growth ? Do the less easily quantifiable measures have any relevance ? Has the creation of a new generation of slum in terms of overcrowded dwellings, been a good thing ?

Quite a lot of electoral outcomes now are "it's not the economy, stupid."

Partly, that's down to lots of people being sufficiently well -off to have non-economic concerns; but also, the opposite, lots of people feeling they have no stake in the system.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

Why?

And your argument is wrong: a utility or whatever owned by *the* state is subject to a heck of a lot of internal pressures, e.g. from unions, the treasury and headlines. A utility or whatever owned by *another* state has much less latitude for nonsense based on headlines and electoral cycles in the 'external' country.
    That's not the ideological argument, though, whether it is right or wrong.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Sean_F said:

Freggles said:

rcs1000 said:

Tl;Dr version

As far as I can tell, that veto has played right into Five Star's hands.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

Sean_F said:

Freggles said:

rcs1000 said:

Tl;Dr version

Indeed. As I said last night, even I'm surprised at the clear contempt the EU and their disciples hold for democracy. It's genuinely worrying and further reinforces why we need to get out of that shower of shit.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

CD13 said:

He seemed to know more about the grooming gangs before it was exposed.more than some on here who are in the legal trade who just shouted Racist.

Rants and facts and all that.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

Why?

That's not the ideological argument, though, whether it is right or wrong.
    What is the 'ideological argument' in your view?
  • Options

Foxy said:

Interesting to see how much Oceania (Australia and NZ essentially) are forecast to grow. While Europe is stagnating, Oceania's population is going to more than double. It would indicate Australia will ultimately have about the same population as England.
    You'd think Australia's population would comfortably exceed England's, but is it not constrained by the shortage of water?
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

Sean_F said:

Freggles said:

rcs1000 said:

Tl;Dr version

This truly appears a bonkers situation.

Imagine Jezza getting a majority cobbled together with the SNP and Lib Dem’s etc after weeks of haggling, and then HMQ saying “sorry you can’t have that McDonnell as Chancellor because he’s said some really negative things about capitalism. I’m going to appoint Patrick Minford instead”. There would be uproar, and rightly so.

What a grade A example of “you can vote any way you like as long as it’s in favour of the EU”. The President may well be technically in his rights but we can all see this stinks. It will surely also be counterproductive big time. If there are new elections 5 Star et al can surely just scream from the roff tops “see, were were right all along, in fact they’re even worse than we said”.

So let’s assume we are back in the same place post elections and the President still says no. Pitchfork time?

• Options
    On topic, I am looking forward to the Government white paper on immigration in the Autumn.

It isn't true to say we haven't had a problem with excessive migration of marginal economic benefit in the past; bogus universities, sham marriages, family "reunions", speculative free movement of those without any job offer ending up in UK streets and parks, and attempts to storm the gates at Calais all fell into that category, and were backdoors into the system.

Personally, a well-thought through system of work permits by economic sector ought to do the trick, together with temporary professional visiting visas, and better monitoring/ enforcement. The key thing here is people feeling they have control, where they can pull the levers and tweak the dials if they have to. Therefore, just saying "free movement works" really doesn't cut it at all.

Personally, my view is the greater the level of control they have, the more relaxed about immigration they will be, but it's hard to disagree there isn't a competence question within the Home Office that runs against that, however.
  • Options
    F1: hmm. Vettel's 3 for the title with Ladbrokes (3.35 with Betfair).

Looks a little long. On the other hand, means tying up money for a while at odds that aren't enormous.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

Sean_F said:

Freggles said:

rcs1000 said:

Tl;Dr version

Imagine Jezza getting a majority cobbled together with the SNP and Lib Dem’s etc after weeks of haggling, and then HMQ saying “sorry you can’t have that McDonnell as Chancellor because he’s said some really negative things about capitalism. I’m going to appoint Patrick Minford instead”. There would be uproar, and rightly so.

What a grade A example of “you can vote any way you like as long as it’s in favour of the EU”. The President may well be technically in his rights but we can all see this stinks. It will surely also be counterproductive big time. If there are new elections 5 Star et al can surely just scream from the roff tops “see, were were right all along, in fact they’re even worse than we said”.

So let’s assume we are back in the same place post elections and the President still says no. Pitchfork time?

https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1000974072396869632

https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1000974309983211521

https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1000977826051514368

This is what stokes voter anger against the EU and euro, and makes it all far more likely it will actually happen.

When I read things like that it makes me cross on their behalf, and I start crowing for a tungsten-tipped Brexit.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

Sean_F said:

Freggles said:

rcs1000 said:

Tl;Dr version

Lamposts.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,965

CD13 said:

He seemed to know more about the grooming gangs before it was exposed.more than some on here who are in the legal trade who just shouted Racist.

Rants and facts and all that.
    Do you think Tommy Robinson, or that other great hero of exposing grooming by brown skinned chaps Nick Griffin, are racists? If so, do you think that shouldn't be mentioned?
  • Options

Foxy said:

I'm not sure why we should see the size of our population as the measure of our national success.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Freggles said:

rcs1000 said:

Tl;Dr version

Populist governments tend not to be very effective. Allowing them to govern and (usually) fall apart is a more sensible strategy for centrists than resorting to cunning tricks to exclude them.
  • Options

On topic, I am looking forward to the Government white paper on immigration in the Autumn.

It isn't true to say we haven't had a problem with excessive migration of marginal economic benefit in the past; bogus universities, sham marriages, family "reunions", speculative free movement of those without any job offer ending up in UK streets and parks, and attempts to storm the gates at Calais all fell into that category, and were backdoors into the system.

Personally, a well-thought through system of work permits by economic sector ought to do the trick, together with temporary professional visiting visas, and better monitoring/ enforcement. The key thing here is people feeling they have control, where they can pull the levers and tweak the dials if they have to. Therefore, just saying "free movement works" really doesn't cut it at all.

Personally, my view is the greater the level of control they have, the more relaxed about immigration they will be, but it's hard to disagree there isn't a competence question within the Home Office that runs against that, however.

Work permits are too bureaucratic. An income based two or three tier system makes the most sense. I might see if I can put together a header and see if Mike wants to publish it.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Freggles said:

rcs1000 said:

Tl;Dr version

Populist governments tend not to be very effective. Allowing them to govern and (usually) fall apart is a more sensible strategy for centrists than resorting to cunning tricks to exclude them.
    Why do that when you can earn applause, from those who already agree with you, by pouring petrol on the flames instead?
This discussion has been closed.